Bernard Tomic is a future No. 1 player [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Bernard Tomic is a future No. 1 player

Tennis Fool
01-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Saw parts of the last AO matches by Bernard, and I'm very impressed. He has an all-court game, and is a bit like Federer and Nadal rolled into one.

He's fearless, and took on Nadal's forehand instead of looking to avoid it.

It will be interesting to see his growth arc within the next year.

What do you guys think?

foul_dwimmerlaik
01-22-2011, 06:06 PM
No, he's not. His lack of power will do him in, eventually. And he's relatively slow.

GSMnadal
01-22-2011, 06:08 PM
:rolls: No way, top 10 is possible, though.

Tennis4you-com
01-22-2011, 07:07 PM
I know he has had a lot of hype. I have seen only a few matches and I have not yet been overly impressed. He is young though and has a lot of room for improvement. Anxious to see how he does.

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2011, 07:10 PM
The OP's nickname is Tennis Fool...

I guess this says enough about his prediction. No personal offence meant. It's just foolish to predict something like this for the new Gilles Simon.

Sapeod
01-22-2011, 07:11 PM
No, he won't.
He's not good enough, is not strong enough and as long as Murray and Nadal are around there's no way he'll be no.1.
Raonic has a better chance of being no.1.

Tennis Fool
01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
He's still not grown into himself, so I don't mean No. 1 anytime soon. I'm just very impressed with how he handled Felo and how he gave Nadal fits. There have been a lot of young players who have squelched their talent, but I haven't seen a young player this impressive since, maybe, Nadal.

ETA: I find his game more impressive than Djokovic, Murray or Roddick's.

GHETTOTENNIS
01-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Hahahaha, no way.

luie
01-22-2011, 07:14 PM
The OP's nickname is Tennis Fool...

I guess this says enough about his prediction. No personal offence meant. It's just foolish to predict something like this for the new Gilles Simon.
+1 Tomic is a slow pusher, simon should have a better career than him.

luie
01-22-2011, 07:16 PM
He's still not grown into himself, so I don't mean No. 1 anytime soon. I'm just very impressed with how he handled Felo and how he gave Nadal fits. There have been a lot of young players who have squelched their talent, but I haven't seen a young player this impressive since, maybe, Nadal.

ETA: I find his game more impressive than Djokovic or Roddick's.
He gave nadull trouble because nadull played like crap.

Smoke944
01-22-2011, 07:19 PM
What a thread :lol:

You can think whatever you want of his game, but at the end of the day, the fact is that Djokovic is faster crawling on hands and knees than Tomic is in a dead sprint. ;)
Tomic doesn't have the athleticism to be at the top of the game :shrug:

Sapeod
01-22-2011, 07:23 PM

Tomic's game is much better than Roddick's, true. Roddick is faster and has a much better serve though.

Djokovic is much faster, has a better serve, better backhand and better forehand, better volleys.

Murray is better in every way.

Tennis Fool
01-22-2011, 07:25 PM
+1 Tomic is a slow pusher, simon should have a better career than him.

Damn, I hate when I read replies that are from posters on ignore.

Still can't come up with anything original than an ad hom on "Tennis Fool", eh GM?

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2011, 07:26 PM

Hard not to. These guys have some of the most boring game styles ever displayed in the history of tennis.

HDW
01-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Well of course. :o

vn01
01-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Tomic is a talented player, but he needs to work a lot. He still doesn't have the game to be even a Top 50 player. In 4-5 years, he may get in Top 10, or Top 5, but I don't think he'll be no.1, although I like him a lot

Allez
01-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Where do you get the impression that Federer + Nadal = Tomic :shrug: Not from last nights match I hope. Who knows what the lay of the land will be like 5 years from now. It is way to early to start speculating on whether or not he will ever reach the summit.

P.S. For me is he more Murray like than Fedal like.

Roger the Dodger
01-22-2011, 07:31 PM
From the Nadal match, I felt:

- He changes match rhythm very well, and tries taking control of the point.
- He anticipates as good if not better than Murray
- Takes the ball on the rise like Davydenko (reason Nadal was troubled today)
- Tries to avoid chasing the ball. Needs more stamina.

Number 1? Too early to predict but yes, top 20 material if he works on his fitness.

Allez
01-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Tomic is a talented player, but he needs to work a lot. He still doesn't have the game to be even a Top 50 player. In 4-5 years, he may get in Top 10, or Top 5, but I don't think he'll be no.1, although I like him a lot

+ 1

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Nadull's moonballing makes anyone look like a potential talent. I remember him almost losing to Alun Jones at the USO. Nowadays, people would say Jones would make it to #1 :lol:

You guys should've watched his match against Lopez. Some of the softest hitting I've ever seen in professional tennis.

Allez
01-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Not everyone has to strike the ball like Del Potro to be considered a talent.

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Especially because he isn't that much of a ball-striker.

Next time use a really talented ballbasher, like Safin.

Tennis4you-com
01-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Amen to that! This kids still young though, give him some time. They say he has mad talent. Time will tell how far it will take him.

Mechlan
01-22-2011, 07:43 PM
He has top 10 potential. #1, way too early to say, but I'd lean on probably not.

Roger the Dodger
01-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Nadull's moonballing makes anyone look like a potential talent. I remember him almost losing to Alun Jones at the USO. Nowadays, people would say Jones would make it to #1 :lol:

You guys should've watched his match against Lopez. Some of the softest hitting I've ever seen in professional tennis.

Alun who? :lol:

AS for the Lopez match, I saw the last few games of it. The way I see it, lulling your opponent to sleep with soft slices and then hitting hard down the line seems more variety than today's top 20. He seems like a clever player with lots of potential, but needs tons of improvement if he has to hang among the top.

DrJules
01-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Saw parts of the last AO matches by Bernard, and I'm very impressed. He has an all-court game, and is a bit like Federer and Nadal rolled into one.

What do you guys think?

At most saw top 10 potential.

Tennis4you-com
01-22-2011, 07:54 PM
I would be curious to see how he compared to Federer at age 18.

Jaz
01-22-2011, 07:58 PM
I can't see it happening.

Shade
01-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Guys, isn't he just 18 yet? The title of the thread says "future no. 1 player" not currently, so all of you saying he's too slow blablabla... that's right now. You can bet he'll be upping his fitness level like crazy in coming years. He's a clever player and doesn't really allow his opponent to settle into any kind of rhythem. I think he'll take a lot of positives from his match against Nadal and really start putting in the hard work now, and if he does, I say he's top 20 within 2-3 years. I don't see him becoming No. 1 in his career, but he definitely has top 10 or top 5 potential.

Shade
01-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Hard not to. These guys have some of the most boring game styles ever displayed in the history of tennis.

The new Roddick, yes. But Djoko and Murray? Wrong.

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2011, 08:14 PM
The new Roddick, yes. But Djoko and Murray? Wrong.

Quite the opposite.

Roddick's Wimbledon 09 run sported way more exciting tennis than anything Faker and Mugray have ever done.

Tennis Fool
01-22-2011, 08:22 PM
I would be curious to see how he compared to Federer at age 18.

Well, let's look at Federer's year in 1999:

Started out ranked 243, ended the year ranked 66.

Federer also reached the third round of a slam for the first time at age 18.

Of course, it's sometimes difficult to tell how events and players will develop. Really, who thought any of the players who became No. 1 would do so eventually?

Just think of your thoughts when these players came on the scene as teens:

Agassi (who was really thought of as all-hype), Sampras, Rafter, Federer, Safin (who :o ), Guga (who??? :o :o), Marcelo Rios (who??? :o :o :o), Djokovic or Nadal (a clay court GOAT at best).

Nevertheless, most won their first Slams by 21. Tomic will be Top 10 in three years tops.

Allez
01-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Nadal was always being touted as a possible future world number 1.

Hazem
01-22-2011, 08:29 PM
I agree with you.
He will specifically take AO someday.

Tennis4you-com
01-22-2011, 08:30 PM

Of course, it's sometimes difficult to tell how events and players will develop. Really, who thought any of the players who became No. 1 would do so eventually?

Agassi (who was really thought of as all-hype), Sampras, Rafter, Federer, Safin (who :o ), Guga (who??? :o :o), Marcelo Rios (who??? :o :o :o), Djokovic or Nadal (a clay court GOAT at best).

Nevertheless, most won their first Slams by 21. Tomic will be Top 10 in three years tops.

Good points. His next few years of development will be crucial.

Mateya
01-22-2011, 08:32 PM
He's fun to watch, that's for sure. :)
From pushing, slicing and all kinds of junk tennis, to aggressive flat shotmaking.
His fitness isn't great.

His carrer high ranking will be no. 17.
:angel:

Tennis4you-com
01-22-2011, 08:34 PM
He slices a lot right now, at least the 2 matches I saw. He did have some pretty crazy shots here and there while on the run. Some of his shots reminded me of Nadal's 2-hander with the short tight angles.

Shade
01-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Quite the opposite.

Roddick's Wimbledon 09 run sported way more exciting tennis than anything Faker and Mugray have ever done.

I'm more talking about their style of play. Watching Roddick play is the best thing to do if you want to fall asleep on the couch.

leng jai
01-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Terrible forehand technique that will never be consistent, poor movement, mediocre serve for his height and Monfil-esque shot selection...yep future no 1 material for sure.

Doomach777
01-22-2011, 09:20 PM
He will be the first croatian player who will reach no.1 on atp list.

bobbynorwich
01-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Depends on whether his crazed, control-freak father steps aside to allow a more balanced team of coaches to guide his progress.

:boxing:

Tennis Fool
01-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Depends on whether his crazed, control-freak father

Oh no, not another one :o

Sapeod
01-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Tennis Fool, Tomic will never be the no.1 player, ever.

He is NOT good enough, yeah?
You know that he isn't even that special, he's got no weapons to harm any of the top players.

The only reason he got 10 games off Nadull is because Nadull played absolutely terrible.

Hope this helps.

mysterious
01-22-2011, 09:48 PM

Sampras: Beat good players like Krickstein, Curren and Wilander before he was even 18 and won his first title as an 18 year old. Won the US Open at 19.

Federer: Had won titles as a teenager and was reaching the later stages of big tournaments.

Safin: As an 18 year old took Jim Courier to 5 sets in Davis cup despite losing. Defeated Agassi in 5 sets and then returned a couple of days later to defeat defending champion Gustavo Kuerten in 5 before losing to Pioline in 5 sets in the round of 16. Won Boston at 19.

Kuerten: Hadn't done much as a teen but that didn't exactly matter when Roland Garros rolled round in 97' when he scooped 1st prize.

Rios: Won several tournaments as a teen.

Djokovic: Won a few tournaments as a teen, including Miami.

Nadal: Come on, now. Using the other players are bad enough as an example of how people aren't giving Bernard Tomic enough credit but using Nadal is ridiculous. Hadn't the guy scooped a couple of Masters Series and Roland Garros by his 19th birthday?

With the exception of Rafter and Kuerten (If I'm being generous, I still don't believe he's a good example), how are any of these plausible examples?

Mjau!
01-22-2011, 10:08 PM
How can you say Tommí is not strong enough?? :confused: He's only 18! :rolleyes:

Leo
01-22-2011, 10:37 PM
No, he's not. His lack of power will do him in, eventually. And he's relatively slow.

He's 18 years and 3 months old. More fire power will come with time, age, strength. His game reminds me of Murray's but Tomic already has more firepower than Murray did at his age. What he obviously lacks compared to Murray is foot speed.

For me, if he continues like this, he's future Top 5. He has a lot of natural feel for the game. It's great to see because so many players coming up in the modern era lack that natural tennis talent.

Leo
01-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Especially because he isn't that much of a ball-striker.

Next time use a really talented ballbasher, like Safin.

And yet he caused Lopez to go into fits of rage and won the match against a much higher ranked player in straights.

What reminds me of Murray is Tomic's ability to play dull pusher tennis when the time calls for it (i.e. vs. Lopez) and then play more aggressive tennis as well (i.e. last night vs. Nadal). Hopefully for our sakes he matures into not just a smart player who can win matches (Wozniacki, anyone?) but an exciting one as well. I do think he can make it big.

Fedal2010
01-22-2011, 10:48 PM
That would kill the "gentleman sport" tennis.

The boring game is disgusting to watch and he moves like Fed with a broken leg.
Anyway that won´t happen, same goes for a spot in the Top5.

nole_no1
01-22-2011, 11:04 PM
No. 1 player? :spit: :rolls:

VolandriFan
01-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Reminds me of the level Del Potro was at in 2006/2007, back when people said he would be an average player. If Tomic works hard, he can make the top 5.

jmf07
01-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Have to love MTF and the big things that are predicted after a couple of wins. To answer the question straightaway he won't reach number 1 as he is too crap on clay for the time being.

In general I think this AO run has actually done him more harm than good. Chardy has been hopeless of late and Lalo hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire. Tomic needs to take more away from the way Mayer routined him and Dolgopolov beat him in three with the last two sets being comfortable. They exposed the huge weaknesses in Tomic's game that is poor movement and weak shotmaking. Once Tomic starts playing on tour and he starts to become better known players will become more aware and continually use the same gameplan over and over again. Tomic needs to realise that although he is well advanced for his age he won't be going much further unless he addresses these huge flaws in his game. If he can well anything is possible for him. The period of time he spent on clay last year was a good move from him and he needs to keep doing that on a regular basis.

rocketassist
01-22-2011, 11:29 PM
His problem in this match was his inability to finish points off. He couldn't penetrate twice, he'd have him on the back foot and then put a shitty rally shot into the middle and the point would be up for grabs again.

Helevorn
01-23-2011, 12:02 AM
He was born in the end of 1992, so nowadays we do not have all the proper materials in order to answer to a question like this.

I do think that he will make the top 10, I can't say anything else until at least the beginning of 2012.. he is fuckin' 18 years old.

Crow_Boy
01-23-2011, 01:43 AM

This is one very stupid thing to say, Tomic has huge power and i mean huge power, his serve is that massive but his got real flat powerful ground strokes, he should definitly make top 3 atleast unless of a bad injury. He will be top 50 by the end of the year if there is no injuries!

Anyone who can go up a double break against Rafa on hardcourt has obviously got great skills.

james82
01-23-2011, 02:34 AM
i dont understand why tomic isnt playing like he did last night in every match,hes forehand was causing nadal all sorts of problems and he was hitting with power and placement
also i think the best thing for tomic right now is to also get away from his father and hire a real coach

Monteque
01-23-2011, 02:58 AM

What do you guys think?

is he the guy who said like wanna play w/ Fed's skill, Hewitt's heart, or Nadal's power bla blah bla....lol.

Deivid23
01-23-2011, 03:25 AM
Too soon to say, but I don´t think he will. He´s for sure a very talented kid, his bh is a thing of a beauty, and his court coverage and anticipation is extremely good, his calm demeanour and the confidence on himself will only help. But, although I believe he will improve his footwork and movement, don´t think he will be able to do it in a way to make him succeed on clay courts, for instance. I believe his fh can easily be broken down and should be a liabilty for him to reach higher heights than top 10, maybe top 5 at some stage of his career.

viruzzz
01-23-2011, 03:29 AM
When Nishikori won that final against Blake all the people were saying the same sh*t.

Audacity
01-23-2011, 03:53 AM
I'm far from being a Tomic fan, but from what I've seen he is top 10 material, but even then he has to improve alot. Obviously he will get stronger, his serve will improve in the next couple of years... we will see as the years go on how his groundies improve. He no future no. 1 though.

green25814
01-23-2011, 04:01 AM
Nadal made him look better than he is.

There is potential though. To early to say.

foul_dwimmerlaik
01-23-2011, 04:05 AM
He's 18 years and 3 months old. More fire power will come with time, age, strength. His game reminds me of Murray's but Tomic already has more firepower than Murray did at his age. What he obviously lacks compared to Murray is foot speed.
Yes, he can get more power on his shots over the time, but he'll never be a real power player, the same way Murray isn't even now. His footwork won't improve much though, and that's even more of a liability.

tennisgolfguru
01-23-2011, 04:31 AM
Have to love MTF and the big things that are predicted after a couple of wins. To answer the question straightaway he won't reach number 1 as he is too crap on clay for the time being.

In general I think this AO run has actually done him more harm than good. Chardy has been hopeless of late and Lalo hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire. Tomic needs to take more away from the way Mayer routined him and Dolgopolov beat him in three with the last two sets being comfortable. They exposed the huge weaknesses in Tomic's game that is poor movement and weak shotmaking. Once Tomic starts playing on tour and he starts to become better known players will become more aware and continually use the same gameplan over and over again. Tomic needs to realise that although he is well advanced for his age he won't be going much further unless he addresses these huge flaws in his game. If he can well anything is possible for him. The period of time he spent on clay last year was a good move from him and he needs to keep doing that on a regular basis.

Agree ++ - right now his biggest problem is his arrogance which will make him hard to teach - self confidence is a necessity for success - arrogance is a hinderance - right now he thinks he has all the answers when in fact there are huge gaps in his game - he has always played well (and gotten very lucky in his draws tbh) at the AO and then has done nothing the rest of the year - he has not even come close to winning a "grown up" tournament - so the jury is still very much out - he could be a future top 10 or he could be a donald young - too early to tell. When I refer to his arrogance I am talking about his behaviour pre-AO - because the Aussies have no one else they have hyped him so much he now feels entitled - that's his problem - I think Tennis Australia should never have given him the wild card and they should have called his bluff - that would have been a far better lesson for him to learn than playing Rafa was last night.

But we shall see - I remember when Murray was 19 and Gasquet just 20 and both played Queens - I laughed at Murray ever doing much and thought gasquet was going to be the next big thing - and look at how that turned out - not that Murray is all that but compared to Gasquet he has been a triumph!!

tennisgolfguru
01-23-2011, 04:39 AM
Oh and Tomic needs to actually do something this year outside of the AO - even Murray, who has always been considered a late bloomer because of his style of game and slower physical maturity - was starting to show some promising results on the tour at roughly Tomic's age.

thegreendestiny
01-23-2011, 04:56 AM
Nyet.

GlennMirnyi
01-23-2011, 05:05 AM
I'm more talking about their style of play. Watching Roddick play is the best thing to do if you want to fall asleep on the couch.

That also applies to Mugray and Fakervic.

tennisvideos
01-23-2011, 05:39 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how many arm chair critics there are around the world. Tomic has done a few amazing things for an 18yo IMO. To compare him to what the legends of the game did at the same age is asking a bit much esp as he hasn't had much match play at all in the senior ranks to date. Plus he is still growing rapidly and is rather scrawny at the moment. Give the kid a break. He will grow some more, and I am sure he will also work on his fitness, strength and speed if he is motivated enough. Then we will see how good he can be. Either way, big deal. if he makes it to top 10 I will be thrilled. If he doesn't ever make it, than it's his life and doesn't matter what I say or think - at least he is putting himself out there and having a go.

gusavo
01-23-2011, 06:00 AM
hes pretty much already almost top50

Bargearse
01-23-2011, 07:11 AM
Tomic is heavily promoted in Australia because there aren't really too many other Aussie players at present who are as good as him. I'm glad he made Nadal work, but remember he was up 4-0 in the second and sure enough, Nadal came back and won in straight sets which was never in doubt. Nadal was winning slams at Tomic's age. Tomic hasn't so much as cracked the top 100. I'm sure he'll do at least that, but he won't reach #1.

Pirao666
01-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Let the hype machine roll :worship: Dimitrov must be the future GOAT, at least he took a set off Nadal when they played :devil:

Gladiator
01-23-2011, 10:11 AM
well, too early to tell

He might reach the top 10, but to be #1 is very tough

I mean, very talented players such Novak & Murray still do not reach the #1.

He might be #1 if the era decline coming years though

He will be rich in the end. Good luck for him

henke007
01-23-2011, 10:23 AM
loool

HarryMan
01-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Too early to comment. When players of Murray's and Djokovic's caliber having tasted the number one spot yet, you know it is really really difficult to get there

Of course the advantage Tomic might have is Federer and Nadal may not be the force they currently are, during his prime, and probably we don't have a dominant figure in tennis then. Which could provide more players opportunity to succeed at the top. Still until he shows consistently on the tour for a significant portion of time, we cannot comment on it.

fran70
01-23-2011, 11:01 AM
This is funny to see how many people turned suddenly on big fans of Raonic, Dimitrov, Berankis and Tomic while they were literally ignored last year by many of the people that write in this forum....

Tipster13
01-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Tomic will win AO in the future, it's 100%.

rafaholic
01-23-2011, 08:50 PM
he will just play AO date to date

Dundalis
01-24-2011, 03:20 AM
Tennis Fool, Tomic will never be the no.1 player, ever.

He is NOT good enough, yeah?
You know that he isn't even that special, he's got no weapons to harm any of the top players.

The only reason he got 10 games off Nadull is because Nadull played absolutely terrible.

Hope this helps.
Clownish comment. He outhit Nadal. Fact. He hit both his forehand and backhand with more power. For an 18 year old with a LOT of improvement to make physically this is fairly impressive. Anyone that understands tennis can see he uses softer shots as a TACTIC, not because he can't hit the ball hard, and when he does choose to hit it hard he can hit winners whenever he wants (check the winners count from the Nadal game). He backhand is and has always been called world class for his age.

He is still a stick physically. As he bulks up he will gain more power. Also to people talking about his movement, he's 6'5, and probably still growing. You are going to look at his movement a match for comparable midgets?

Jim Courier made the comment that while he will need to improve his movement he will not need to improve it as much as players smaller than him because his wingspan closes down a lot of angles that other players will need to run around more in order to retrieve the ball. This was actually clear in the Nadal match, he got a number of balls back basically due to his size and wingspan.

GSMnadal
06-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Well, obviously he is :angel:

yesh222
06-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Calling #1 at this point might be a stretch. He definitely has the potential to be a top player very quickly and could be a #1 someday. He has the talent. Then again, we said the same thing about Ernests Gulbis.

Chase Visa
06-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I think he's made of better stuff than Gulbis.

I think there's a 90% he'll hit No. 1 at some stage, unless we discover a reincarnation of a GOAT.

MaxPower
06-27-2011, 01:27 PM
I think he's made of better stuff than Gulbis.

I think there's a 90% he'll hit No. 1 at some stage, unless we discover a reincarnation of a GOAT.

Wow. Guess the hype-train is going. Give the kid a break. He is 18 and will just get a somewhat respectable ranking after Wimbledon. Let's take it from there.

green25814
06-27-2011, 01:27 PM
He's got the game, and the arrogance required to be a slam winner and possible no 1

Filo V.
06-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Well, he's got the confidence and coolness under pressure required to be a champ. You can see throughout this Wimbledon, how he being groomed to win grand slams shows itself in the critical moments.

I still don't think he moves well enough for the way he plays, but he does anticipate shots well and he's good at not getting into defensive positions. The improvement I've seen is that he's being more aggressive now and when he has a shot to hit, he's smacking it. His serve has also improved a lot, at least the first serve, getting good pace on it.

A lot of people say he's similar to Murray, but he's already showing he will have more pop on the ball than Murray, and be more aggressive, along with having the smarts, court craft and variety. He's really damn talented. I want to see him on the hard courts.

n8
06-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Tomic to me seems to be a motivation player, a very strange phenomenon for someone of his age. I think he'll always be very dangerous at Slams (except Roland Garros) but may not have the all round results to be number one.

Dund
06-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Well, he's got the confidence and coolness under pressure required to be a champ. You can see throughout this Wimbledon, how he being groomed to win grand slams shows itself in the critical moments.

I still don't think he moves well enough for the way he plays, but he does anticipate shots well and he's good at not getting into defensive positions. The improvement I've seen is that he's being more aggressive now and when he has a shot to hit, he's smacking it. His serve has also improved a lot, at least the first serve, getting good pace on it.

A lot of people say he's similar to Murray, but he's already showing he will have more pop on the ball than Murray, and be more aggressive, along with having the smarts, court craft and variety. He's really damn talented. I want to see him on the hard courts.
I'd like to know which if any tennis player was 6'4 or 6'5 at 18 and had really good movement? I don't think there are any.

He will improve his movement simply by fully growing into his body, as he may not even be finished growing yet. But he actually doesn't need to be a great mover regardless of his style because he anticipates so well, plus he has that length that will let him get to balls with less steps than shorter players.

The interesting thing with his power is that he rarely ever goes full blast. Occasionally he will hit an absolute bullet that makes you realise he has that power in his locker, but a lot of his winners even he hits within himself.

A lot of people think his forehand technique is terrible also, but I think his opponents have no idea how to read it. He seems to be able to hit that inside out forehand he likes from just about any angle. And it is extremely effective. And for a swing with such apparently bad technique, he doesn't seem to make too many errors from it.

I think what will be interesting, and he showed it at the Australian Open, is that in two matches he can play two almost completely different styles, to suit the opponent. Even within one match he can change up quite a bit. All he's missing is a net game, and he looks like a pretty good volleyer.

makesmewonder
06-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Calling #1 at this point might be a stretch. He definitely has the potential to be a top player very quickly and could be a #1 someday. He has the talent. Then again, we said the same thing about Ernests Gulbis.

Yeah, How many could have been world number one and never avenged.

Hian-GOAT
06-27-2011, 03:01 PM
:spit:

philosophicalarf
06-27-2011, 03:04 PM
The problem with the size for me is that he's already pretty broad and heavy - that wasn't the case for cilic or del potro, or even berdych. I'm not sure there's the room there to improve his mobility as much.

MaxPower
06-27-2011, 03:23 PM
The problem with the size for me is that he's already pretty broad and heavy - that wasn't the case for cilic or del potro, or even berdych. I'm not sure there's the room there to improve his mobility as much.

really? Many players his height pack around 10kgs more than him. He is listed at 6'4 and 77kgs so if that is accurate he need to build a few kgs more muscle. It will come. He's only 18 and will grow into it. Movement rarely looks good at his stage of the career and he doesn't look heavy at all to me. But he does look a little weak. Doesn't get as much pace on many shots as he should get at his height. Not a big issue on grass maybe but on hardcourt it will show more

Pirao666
06-27-2011, 03:24 PM
A good run and the hype train gets going, gotta love MTF :lol:

peribsen
06-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Quite possible, but it's too early to say. For the time being, he does look like an almost certain top 10 and very likely top 5, which is a lot to say at this date.

Good to see some worthy youngsters coming up, and from down-under no less, it was high time a country with so much tradition in the sport found a replacement for Hewitt!

philosophicalarf
06-27-2011, 03:30 PM
really? Many players his height pack around 10kgs more than him. He is listed at 6'4 and 77kgs so if that is accurate he need to build a few kgs more muscle.

Yeah, not so much about the weight (which could be two years out of date), just he looks bulky. Look at DelPot at that age:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/Juan_Del_Potro_2007_Australian_Open_(4).jpg

If he doesn't grow anymore (upwards!) you can have decent movement at 6'4 though, eg Safin, or even Berdy at 6'5. Still, usually guys that size are not swift at all.

I like his game a lot either way though, especially the way he can hit those big flat strokes - extremely hard to read where they're going. That's a rare talent.

JediFed
06-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Tomic's already won more GS matches than Donald Young. Reaching the QFs as a qualifier has been bested only twice, by Voltchov and McEnroe.

shiaben
06-27-2011, 06:16 PM
How is his backhand?

BULLZ1LLA
06-27-2011, 06:22 PM

What do you guys think?

(It's not even a question. Everybody knows Tomic will be number one and dominate the slams, I said it 2 years ago, though I hadn't registered an account here at the time)

Bulgarian
06-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Of course not, he is not enough consistent. Player like Raonic has a lot bigger chances.

Helevorn
06-27-2011, 08:01 PM
I said it 2 years ago, though I hadn't registered an account here at the time

lol

RNW
06-27-2011, 11:38 PM
He is good, no doubt.

But Söderling was ill.
And Andreev should have won it.

So, all in all, he had luck and played a fantastic match today.

His game is very nice on grass.

But he will have problems to back-up his results on hardcourt and clay.

He has to win a small tournament now.
It is important that he can have wins on all surfaces against a lot of players.

If he improves year by year he can win big tournaments in 2-3 years.

swebright
06-27-2011, 11:41 PM
He has games. Solid.

Platypu$
06-28-2011, 02:01 AM
Deep run like this at GS like Wimbledon encourage me to say - YES. I mean, why not? This guy is only 18 years old ffs!

Wish him the best because tennis desperately needs some fresh faces... all top players are freakin' old... ok, I exaggerated a bit, but in upcoming years, as a true tennis fan, I expect a lot from guys like Tomic, Harrison, Raonic, Dimitrov...

At least one of them can definitely reach the no.1 spot...

hipolymer
06-28-2011, 02:35 AM
I hope not. Those stupid faces he makes when he wins are annoying as hell.

Topspindoctor
06-28-2011, 02:36 AM
If Tomug is the future #1 player, then I'll quit watching ATP tennis.

Platypu$
06-28-2011, 02:57 AM

better do it right away.

Winners take all
06-28-2011, 03:05 AM
Hell yes! Why not? At age 18 he's just beaten Soldierling in straight sets already! I don't think any of the young players other than the current top 10 is capable of blocking Tomic's road to greatness!

Dund
06-28-2011, 03:37 AM
How is his backhand?
Excellent. In fact through his junior days the one standout feature coaches talked about was his worldclass backhand.

He probably isn't aggressive enough with it though, but that could be said about his whole game.

Good riddance.

TheRafaelNadal
06-28-2011, 03:18 PM
i'll admit he is good but his face just annoys me.

tektonac
06-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Quite the opposite.

you can't put one and zero slam wonder mugs in the same league as Novak, you just simply can't.

pederer
06-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Not a future No.1 but a solid top 10 maybe top 5 that is a consistent feature in the second week of grand slams. :)
The only way he reaches top 5 is if he is able to utilize his home crowd advantage at AO and win it all or at least clinch a final. I doubt this but he is only 18 and he can conceivably wait it out for 4/5 odd years till his prime at 23 when the likes of fed will be retired and rafa,nole,murray are pushing 28 or 29 yrs.

Sham Kay
06-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Makes me think. Are there threads like "Roger Federer will be a future number 1 player" somewhere in the archives of MTF? Threads like that are just golden.

DualMedia
06-29-2011, 05:06 AM
Makes me think. Are there threads like "Roger Federer will be a future number 1 player" somewhere in the archives of MTF? Threads like that are just golden.

this.

Benny_Maths
06-29-2011, 06:50 AM

IIRC there was thread posted soon after the 2004 AO in which the OP predicted that Federer would win 14 slams. It was bumped a few months back. Rather funny to see that some people who loved Federer back then, today feign hatred or indifference towards him in fear of coming across a fanboy.:lol:

wee
06-29-2011, 07:10 AM
No way, top 10 is possible

Charger
06-29-2011, 07:24 AM
He needs to start playing more tennis

atennisfan
06-29-2011, 09:00 AM

There was this guy, Chris, who in the World Tennis forum at worldcrossing predicted in 2001-2002 that Federer would break every single records in mens tennis.

Sonja1989
06-29-2011, 09:14 AM
I wish him all the best but to early to say something.

bad gambler
06-29-2011, 09:19 AM
There was this guy, Chris, who in the World Tennis forum at worldcrossing predicted in 2001-2002 that Federer would break every single records in mens tennis.

And there were others who said that he was a prodigious talent but would never translate that in terms of performance

Corey Feldman
06-29-2011, 09:45 AM
if he beats Nole today he will be legend in my eyes already

FormerRafaFan
06-29-2011, 02:10 PM
God, I hope not.. he's a brat and needs to grow up. I can't believe he and Dimitrov are the future of the sport. Fucking disgrace! :tape: :help:

ciprianned
06-29-2011, 02:57 PM
yes , in 2013 Tomic will be no 1 :)