Will All The Top 8 To Make The Quarters? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will All The Top 8 To Make The Quarters?

Certinfy
01-22-2011, 01:26 PM
In 2009 only 1 top 8 player didn't make the quarters (Murray) in 2010 only 2 didn't (Del Potro and Soderling) so can all 8 do it this year?

finishingmove
01-22-2011, 01:31 PM
can they not?

Orka_n
01-22-2011, 01:34 PM
They can, but it's not at all a certainty. Some matches are toss-ups, for example Wawa vs Roddick and Berdych vs Verdasco.

Luinir
01-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Roddick will lose to Wawa.

Certinfy
01-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Ignore the "can they" on the poll, it's meant to be "will they" :o

GSMnadal
01-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Verdasco will beat Berdych. And Cilic might upset Nadal. Don't see any problems for the other 6.

Infinity
01-22-2011, 01:58 PM
There is a good chance, but I guess you should have made the poll as "Who is most likely to not make the QF of the top 8".

Blackbriar
01-22-2011, 02:10 PM
No, Verdasco can stun Berdych, Nadal and Federer are a deal done though.

Sonja1989
01-22-2011, 02:11 PM

+1. Yes, I think this too.
But other 7... yes. (I hope Berdych will not lose to Verdasco)

Yves.
01-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Nadal can't :p

zlaja777
01-22-2011, 02:19 PM

+1

Roamed
01-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Nadal vs Cilic
Ferrer vs Raonic
Soderling vs Dolgopolov
Murray vs Melzer
Berdych vs Verdasco
Djokovic vs Almagro
Roddick vs Wawrinka
Federer vs Robredo

I reckon at least one of Djokovic/Murray will have difficulties too (but probably still win).

vn01
01-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Verdasco and Wawrinka can beat Berdych and Roddick, but I doubt that can happen, so YES

freeandlonely
01-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Wawrinka will actually win. How can he lose to a S&P?

PiggyGotRoasted
01-22-2011, 07:07 PM
No Cilic and Dogopolov will progress

Certinfy
01-22-2011, 07:10 PM
If all the top 8 lose then I honestly think we have the best GS QF line up ever :worship:

Sapeod
01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
All of them will, except for Roddick.

Blarghman
01-22-2011, 09:01 PM
In the open era, the record for top 8 seeds in the QFs is 7 ('69 Wimby, '76 RG, '83 RG, '84 RG and '09 AO). So if they do make it, it will be a historic first. Considering Roddick is the closest thing to an underdog in the group, you'd have to say there's a decent chance.

FormerRafaFan
01-22-2011, 09:07 PM
No, Verdasco can stun Berdych, Nadal and Federer are a deal done though.

No, and no.

Berdych will beat Verdasco. I am actually waiting for an upset.. Cilic is not a bad player at all, and Rafa still hasn't gotten rid of his virus. So I can definitely see Rafa going home after the match with Cilic. Certainly hope not though!

So I guess my answer to the poll would be 'no'. I also think Wawrinka is going to beat Roddick. But probably 6 or 7 of the top 8 should be in the quarterfinal imo.

Horatio Caine
01-22-2011, 09:52 PM
A few of the matches have some form of upset potential, so it is a little unlikely.

Roddick is probably in the most danger, and if Wawrinka maintains his current level I'm expecting an all-Swiss QF.
Berdych could lose to Verdasco, although I think he will survive.
Soderling might encounter problems with Dolgopolov.
Djokovic will need to be sharp to see off Almagro.
Ferrer ought to beat Raonic, but stranger things have happened.
Unless Nadal raises his level, he is there for the taking. Can Cilic rise to the occasion?

Federer and Murray are the only two practically assured of QF status, barring a major shock.

Chartreuse
01-22-2011, 10:14 PM
No.

nole_no1
01-23-2011, 12:03 AM
No
Because of Roddick

coonster14
01-23-2011, 01:46 AM
No, at least one of the top 8 will lose in the 4th round.

shiaben
01-23-2011, 02:44 AM
I'll make my evaluations:

Nadal vs Cilic (unless Nadal has an injury or sickness i.e. fever, it's not happening).
Result= Nadal.

Raonic vs Ferrer(for kicks I picked Raonic, but realistically if Ferrer puts his mind together, should take this somehow).
Result= Ferrer.

Soderling vs Dolgopov (I haven't seen this kids game, but I'm trusting Soderling will be mentally and physically together, and do the job in however many sets like Ferrer).
Result= Soderling

Melzer vs Murray (Melzer isn't an easy customer, as good as he plays, he tries to put too much on it sometimes, Murray's accuracy should do the trick for this one).
Result= Murray

Berdych vs Verdsaco (Berdych is in better form, however I think Verdasco will end the fun in either 4 sets or 5, he's mentally stronger and physically fit).
Result= Verdasco

Djokovic vs Almagro (no further explanations)
Result= Djokovic

Roddick vs Wawrinka (Roddick won't play conservative against him, but regardless, Wawrinka's talent is too superior, he's got the better overall package, no weaknesses as far as I can see, Roddick makes too many silly UE).
Result= Warinka

Robredo vs Federer (no further explanations)
Result= Federer

IMHO the biggest liabilities are Roddick given that he's not a complete player, he's likely to get wacked in 3-4 sets. Berdych, as he can potentially be upset by Verdasco, given that Verdasco is mentally stronger and physically more fit than Berdych.

And maybe to a much smaller extent Ferrer (not able to finish people off), Soderling (footwork, endurance issues), Murray (if he's too passive).

Sonja1989
01-23-2011, 11:23 AM
OMG, Roddick will lose to Wawi really!

syc23
01-23-2011, 11:28 AM
I'll make my evaluations:

Nadal vs Cilic (unless Nadal has an injury or sickness i.e. fever, it's not happening).
Result= Nadal.

Raonic vs Ferrer(for kicks I picked Raonic, but realistically if Ferrer puts his mind together, should take this somehow).
Result= Ferrer.

Soderling vs Dolgopov (I haven't seen this kids game, but I'm trusting Soderling will be mentally and physically together, and do the job in however many sets like Ferrer).
Result= Soderling

Melzer vs Murray (Melzer isn't an easy customer, as good as he plays, he tries to put too much on it sometimes, Murray's accuracy should do the trick for this one).
Result= Murray

Berdych vs Verdsaco (Berdych is in better form, however I think Verdasco will end the fun in either 4 sets or 5, he's mentally stronger and physically fit).
Result= Verdasco FAIL

Djokovic vs Almagro (no further explanations)
Result= Djokovic

Roddick vs Wawrinka (Roddick won't play conservative against him, but regardless, Wawrinka's talent is too superior, he's got the better overall package, no weaknesses as far as I can see, Roddick makes too many silly UE).
Result= Warinka

Robredo vs Federer (no further explanations)
Result= Federer

IMHO the biggest liabilities are Roddick given that he's not a complete player, he's likely to get wacked in 3-4 sets. Berdych, as he can potentially be upset by Verdasco, given that Verdasco is mentally stronger and physically more fit than Berdych.

And maybe to a much smaller extent Ferrer (not able to finish people off), Soderling (footwork, endurance issues), Murray (if he's too passive).

ETA ;)

ossie
01-23-2011, 11:32 AM
roddick is getting exposed at the moment

n8
01-23-2011, 11:34 AM
I wrote this before the 4th round it's looking good so far:
http://thebigtip.com.au/tennis/joels-fourth-round-analysis

I picked the top 7 seeds plus Wawrinka by the way.

Certinfy
01-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Roddick :o

peribsen
01-23-2011, 01:59 PM

:worship: Keep that cristal ball polished!

Blackbriar
01-23-2011, 02:03 PM
No, and no.

Berdych will beat Verdasco. I am actually waiting for an upset.. Cilic is not a bad player at all, and Rafa still hasn't gotten rid of his virus. So I can definitely see Rafa going home after the match with Cilic. Certainly hope not though!

So I guess my answer to the poll would be 'no'. I also think Wawrinka is going to beat Roddick. But probably 6 or 7 of the top 8 should be in the quarterfinal imo.

hey good predictions so far :yeah: Nadal should better level up his game if he wants to win this one.