WWW AO11 R4: Nadal (1) vs Cilic (15) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

WWW AO11 R4: Nadal (1) vs Cilic (15)

Dyraise
01-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Who will win?

Yves.
01-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Nadal will win, but it should be a fun match to watch.

nalbyfan
01-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Hope Marin won't be too exhausted by his marathon match? He's young but this kind of match can left traces. He certainly needs to be in top form to beat Shakira

Nole Rules
01-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Cilic in 4 hopefully.It's his time now.:rocker2:

FedFan
01-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Cilic in 4 hopefully.It's his time now.:rocker2:

Cilic, the marathon man of last year, is more experienced than all the opponents Nadal faced until now.

I think he has a realistic chance of taking at least a set of the Spaniard.

But in the end Nadal will prevail.

GSMnadal
01-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Nadal needs to up his game, but I think he will. Cilic will probably take a set.

ApproachShot
01-22-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm guessing Nadal in 3 or 4 sets, but he will want to spend a good session on the practice courts tomorrow after the match with Tomic. If Cilic plays well though and isn't too tired, then he could cause some problems for the world number 1.

prafull
01-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Cilic will win less games than Tomic.

Pfloyd
01-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Is this game on Sunday or Monday?

Either way, I'm thinking Cilic may indeed take a set.

This won't be easy.

Greystoke
01-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Yeah, they'll be played on Monday, but it will be the night between Sunday and Monday in Europe :D
Or if it's an evening match it will be Monday morning over here.

robiht
01-22-2011, 01:34 PM
33% of MTF think that Cilic will win after almost 5 hours tennis against Isner?
Congrats to the voters...

NadalesDios
01-22-2011, 01:40 PM

It's hope and pray more than thinking actually

MilosSs
01-22-2011, 01:43 PM

also 100% think that you never heard of the word called sarcasm

GSMnadal
01-22-2011, 01:45 PM
The only time they met Cilic crushed him 1 and 3.

NadalesDios
01-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Man, this is a Grand Slam and Nadal is going to the death to win this AO, is maybe his only chance to win 4 consecutive GS.
He might lose but not vs cilic, the only one that can beat him is Murray.

Infinity
01-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Nadal in 4. Cilic will need to put a high percentage of his first serves in to have a chance.

Topspindoctor
01-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Nadal to destroy Mugin Cilic in 3 sets.

GSMnadal
01-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Man, this is a Grand Slam and Nadal is going to the death to win this AO, is maybe his only chance to win 4 consecutive GS.

Earlier in the thread I said Nadal would win, and i could see Cilic take a set, but that'll be about it. I just thought i'd mention it.

Greystoke
01-22-2011, 02:04 PM
I hope Marin Cilic will make an appearance and not Mugin Mugic.

Rafa is the GOAT
01-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Nadal in 3. 6-4 6-4 6-2

Blackbriar
01-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Nadal, maybe in four.

rhinooooo
01-22-2011, 02:38 PM
I think Cilic has a good chance here. The 5 setter won't help, but I don't think Rafa looks 100% either, he was sweating like crazy today.

Matchup-wise, Marin has some things in his favour, good returner, moves well, big 2 hander to counter the lefty topspin. Should be a good one.

Jaz
01-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Nadal in 3. Cilic is tired.

vn01
01-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Rafa in 3

peribsen
01-22-2011, 02:53 PM
If Cilic wins, many people here will take as further evidence that Rafa is no good, at least on HC.
If Cilic loses, he'll be called a mug (if he loses in 5 sets, they'll say he choked); in either case, they'll take it as further evidence that the draw was a joke.

Nadal just can't do anything right.

Pfloyd
01-22-2011, 02:57 PM
If Cilic wins, many people here will take as further evidence that Rafa is no good, at least on HC.
If Cilic loses, he'll be called a mug (if he loses in 5 sets, they'll say he choked); in either case, they'll take it as further evidence that the draw was a joke.

Nadal just can't do anything right.

?

He's won 2 HC Slams, 5 HC Master Series and an Olympic Gold Metal on HC.

Who gives a fuck what an ass-backward ignorant says?

Still much more of an impact than what Murray Djokovic and Cilic have done combined. :shrug:

Sonja1989
01-22-2011, 02:59 PM

:haha: :worship:

Nadal will win because much better player than Cilic and Cilic tired after his 5 hours match.

Chartreuse
01-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Nadal.

Start da Game
01-22-2011, 03:11 PM
it does not matter which cilic shows up, nadal in 3 sets........

Fedal2010
01-22-2011, 03:59 PM
I don´t get why people think Cilic will be toooo tired to have a chance against Nadal.
I mean last year he played 3 five setters and one 4 setter until the SF against Murray and still managed to take a set against on fire Andy Murray let´s face it if he wasn´t that exhausted he could have one the match against Murray.. with Nadal it´s a different thing, it´s earlier in the torunament and he just found some form back.
This win including that Tie.breaker against such an ace machine should definately give him some confidence.

Anyway I´d say Nadal wins in 4 but I would definately like to see Cilic winning this one or make it to a 5 setter.

rofe
01-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Nadal playing against a tired Cilic. That will be a thriller for sure.

samanosuke
useless thread . Cilic in 3

Nadull_tard
Tons of valuable quotes to place in signature here. Cilic is the worst possible match-up for Nadull here, and he's not tired at all.
If Mugrin doesn't choke he should take it in 3, at most 4 sets. And I'm dead serious.

samanosuke
01-22-2011, 04:02 PM

because Nadal was injured , or tired , or out of form . don't remember but something of that

paseo
01-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Cilic will take this. Trust me. Bet your house on it.

rafaholic
01-22-2011, 04:13 PM
because Nadal was injured , or tired , or out of form . don't remember but something of that

you just can't stop beinig an idiot, don't you?

Nadull_tard
01-22-2011, 04:16 PM

Today Rafa is in great form and will win AO easily, to be more precise he has won it already. But, If somehow Cilić manages to win, it will turn out that Rafa was suffering from that Quatar's fever, knees or is just too tired. But definitely not because Mugrin played a good match.

Topspindoctor
01-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Tons of valuable quotes to place in signature here. Cilic is the worst possible match-up for Nadull here, and he's not tired at all.
If Mugrin doesn't choke he should take it in 3, at most 4 sets. And I'm dead serious.

You sound confident. You should bet a few hundred bucks on Mugin Cilic, according to your analysis, he'll crush Nadal for sure.

foul_dwimmerlaik
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
If Nadal plays like he did against Tomic, Cilic in four. If Nadal raises his game to at least B+, Nadal in four.

Nole Rules
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Today Rafa is in great form and will win AO easily, to be more precise he has won it already. But, If somehow Cilić manages to win, it will turn out that Rafa was suffering from that Quatar's fever, knees or is just too tired. But definitely not because Mugrin played a good match.

lol.

Nadull_tard
01-22-2011, 04:22 PM
You sound confident. You should bet a few hundred bucks on Mugin Cilic, according to your analysis, he'll crush Nadal for sure.

I can't be sure, it's tennis. Cilic has a perfect game to disable all of Nadal's weapons and defeat him even in a Slam. If he decides to choke this match away, I can't do nothing about it.

samanosuke
01-22-2011, 04:22 PM

Today he played tactically excellent match . Knowing that Tomić can't hurt him, he looked like he is tired and injured with purpose . If he accidentally doesn't win the title he would have an excuse that he already struggled in match which he won

abraxas21
01-22-2011, 04:25 PM
mugin cilic is just to muggy.

nadull in 3

Nole Rules
01-22-2011, 04:26 PM

He already did that in the first meeting.:smoke:
And Nadull will never crash Cilic in any meeting even on clay.If Nadull wins against Cilic, the scoreline will look close.

Topspindoctor
01-22-2011, 04:29 PM
He already did that in the first meeting.:smoke:
And Nadull will never crash Cilic in any meeting even on clay.If Nadull wins against Cilic, the scoreline will look close.

Mugin is a clown on clay. Nadal would triple bagel him, assuming he even made it that far. :o

Commander Data
01-22-2011, 04:33 PM
This will be tough. Nadal seems not exactly 100% and Cilic is a dangerous player. But Nadal will be too consistent in the end. Nadal in 4

Nadull_tard
01-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Today he played tactically excellent match . Knowing that Tomić can't hurt him, he looked like he is tired and injured with purpose . If he accidentally doesn't win the title he would have an excuse that he already struggled in match which he won

Exactly, this guy is a joke of an athlete and has no idea about fair competition. Not even mentioning how he took the win away from Murray last year, pretending to suffer from his knees after losing the breaker and to avoid a bagel in the third set.
I'm looking forward seeing a similar situation this year, maybe against Cilic or in the semi against Sodaking/Murray.

Of course there's always a risk that everyone bends over nicely and Nadull will be named the GOAT with 10 slams and less than 100 weeks as world no.1 in the weakest Era of all time.

Allez
01-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Cilic has to be too exhausted. Easy pickings even for a slightly sickly Nadal. He snatches a win in 4 :yeah:

Commander Data
01-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Exactly, this guy is a joke of an athlete and has no idea about fair competition. Not even mentioning how he took the win away from Murray last year, pretending to suffer from his knees after losing the breaker and to avoid a bagel in the third set.
I'm looking forward seeing a similar situation this year, maybe against Cilic or in the semi against Sodaking/Murray.

Of course there's always a risk that everyone bends over nicely and Nadull will be named the GOAT with 10 slams and less than 100 weeks as world no.1 in the weakest Era of all time.

:rolleyes:

relax, everything is under control.

Topspindoctor
01-22-2011, 04:38 PM

Olderer is also playing in the weakest era of all time then :yeah:

BlueSwan
01-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Nadal in 3. One close set, two easy ones.

Nadull_tard
01-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Olderer is also playing in the weakest era of all time then :yeah:

Federer had to deal with peak Hewitt, Safin, Roddick, Nalbandian and resurrected Agassi. How can you compare those athletes to Astmavic and Murray or always injured Del Potro?

Roger used to be owned by Nalb and Lleyton, who stopped them couple of times from winning big titles. What do you have to say about Nadull rivalry with Nolandy?

Rafa#Uno:-)
01-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Cilic will win and nadal will get sweaty....rafa stupid using that shirt
sweaty shirt

Topspindoctor
01-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Federer had to deal with peak Hewitt, Safin, Roddick, Nalbandian and resurrected Agassi. How can you compare those athletes to Astmavic and Murray or always injured Del Potro?

Roger used to be owned by Nalb and Lleyton, who stopped them couple of times from winning big titles. What do you have to say about Nadull rivalry with Nolandy?

Agassi who was past his prime, Safin who was a clown, Nalbandian who had no fitness for slams, Roddick and Hewitt - players with limited weapons who were his eternal pigeons. Real tough era :rolleyes: Until Nadal, who had the balls to take it to Olderer in slams, he was feasting on mugs, chokers and mental midgets, racking up one clown slam after another :o I wish there were more players like Nadal in Olderer's era to put his undeserved slams into context.

Raferminator
01-22-2011, 05:11 PM
No way Mugin Chokelic gives Rafa a match after his 5 setter against Isner. Rafa wins this match in 3 sets.

DrJules
01-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Nadal to win in 3 sets or 4 sets.

Jimnik
01-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Exciting poll options.

Doubt Cilic will win a set and fatigue has got nothing to do with it.

Nadull_tard
01-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Agassi who was past his prime, Safin who was a clown, Nalbandian who had no fitness for slams, Roddick and Hewitt - players with limited weapons who were his eternal pigeons. Real tough era :rolleyes: Until Nadal, who had the balls to take it to Olderer in slams, he was feasting on mugs, chokers and mental midgets, racking up one clown slam after another :o I wish there were more players like Nadal in Olderer's era to put his undeserved slams into context.

Nadal wins his slams on Birdshit, endurance failure Djokovic and Soderling out of adjustment. Excluding clay, where he's an undisputed King, also took two slams on slumping and choking Federer, which is not a big effort.

Imagine what would happen If Del Potro, the only real threat for Nadal, stayed healthy? No way Nadal would win USO 2010.

Sapeod
01-22-2011, 05:45 PM
If Cilic plays well throughout the match and Nadull plays like he has been so far, Cilic'll win.

MilosSs
01-22-2011, 05:49 PM
If Cilic plays well throughout the match and Nadull plays like he has been so far, Cilic'll win.

so Murray will win AO in the end?

:worship:

Sapeod
01-22-2011, 05:50 PM
so Murray will win AO in the end?

:worship:
Yes, he's looked the best out of all the top players so far.

Nadull is playing horribly.
Djokovic is playing averagely, he lost a set to Dodig.
Federer is looking good, but he was pushed to 5 sets by Simug :o
Only players that are looking as good as Murray are Ferrer and Soderling.

Andi-M
01-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Nadal in 3. Cillic will be burnt out.

DrJules
01-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Yes, he's looked the best out of all the top players so far.

Nadull is playing horribly.
Djokovic is playing averagely, he lost a set to Dodig.
Federer is looking good, but he was pushed to 5 sets by Simug :o
Only players that are looking as good as Murray are Ferrer and Soderling.

Murray is certainly playing the best tennis of the top players and based on purely tennis criteria would be the most likely to win. However, Nadal has more big occasion experience and has a proven record at the biggest events. If Murray can maintain the focus on the tennis and not the magnitude of the situation he is probably now the favourite, but that is a big if.

Foxy
01-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Actually Nadal is more tired than Cilic due to the mono he is having... I am not very optimistic.

Myrre
01-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Two dog tired players then... Guess the least tired will win.

Paylu2007
01-22-2011, 06:00 PM
why nadal would be tired? :)

Skyward
01-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Actually Nadal is more tired than Cilic due to the mono he is having... I am not very optimistic.

:confused:

Sapeod
01-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Sure he is. 3 straight set wins and he's tired :lol: :retard:

MilosSs
01-22-2011, 06:04 PM

:haha:

Gladiator
01-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Nadal will win in 3, but It will be a tough match

LinkMage
01-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Nadull lucks out as usual his opponent will be dead tired after playing a 5 setter in the previous round. :rolleyes:

networthy
01-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Cilic will win less games than Tomic.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you...

Roger the Dodger
01-22-2011, 08:01 PM
If Cilic plays anything like he did against Nishikori in Chennai....
his hate thread will surely be bumped.

Guy Haines
01-22-2011, 09:07 PM
The people talking -- or whining -- about Marin being tired obviously didn't see him at the end of his match against Isner. He was hardly sweating, and about as close to jubilant as grave Marin can be.

Nadal...part of me loves the irony of both Fed and Nadal tards having to deal with the idea of MonoRafa. And a larger part of me is already bored to tears with all the predictable remarks.

When a pro athlete or club hacker gets sick, even after recovery, it has a lingering impact. For the blind: Nadal is sweating more than usual, just like Federer did the year he went out to Djokovic at the AO. It's his problem. Those are the breaks. And it was stupid to do an underwater photo shoot or whatever promo bs he thinks caused it.

It's funny how people who were mocking Marin and saying he was a fluke for taking so long to beat people at last year's AO are now using it as a reason to talk up his fitness! Vintage MTF.

Both Marin and Rafa go into this match dealing with stuff, and one of them will manage to win. These players are two of my faves, so I'm happy either way. Regardless of the result, I want to see Marin show up and step up.

Mateya
01-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Rafito in 3 if he plays a good match.
Rafito in 4 or 5 if he plays a bad match.
:)

Losing to Čilić with his ugly strokes would be awful.
In fact, only Tomic has more weird strokes and for some reason he's more watchable for me. He's got variety with those junk slices while Čilić is just a boring baseline player.
To be honest, Čilić has done GREAT to make it so far...I was afraid he will lose in R2 or something.

FormerRafaFan
01-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Nadal will win. It's going to be 5 very though sets, but Nadal will prevail in the end:yeah:

Guy Haines
01-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Nadal will win. It's going to be 5 very though sets, but Nadal will prevail in the end:yeah:

This match does have Federer-Simon potential. Especially since Marin so thoroughly owned Rafa the one time they played and clearly isn't in awe of him. In terms of game style, he's the closest thing to Del Potro in the draw.

(ps: Don't mention the fact that Federer is playing Robredo this round. Apparently only Nadal has a cake draw.)

The Freak
01-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Nadal in 4 or 5, Cilic will test him.

SetSampras
01-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Cilic?

Hes flavor of the month

Nadal wins in straights

Fedal2010
01-22-2011, 11:33 PM
I doubt Cilic will win this i think Rafa takes it in 4.

The sad thing is that if Cilic really pulls the upset, Nadtards already have an excuse.

MalwareDie
01-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Cilic blasts Monodal off the court 7-5 6-3 7-6(5).

malisha
01-23-2011, 03:17 AM
The people talking -- or whining -- about Marin being tired obviously didn't see him at the end of his match against Isner. He was hardly sweating, and about as close to jubilant as grave Marin can be.

Nadal...part of me loves the irony of both Fed and Nadal tards having to deal with the idea of MonoRafa. And a larger part of me is already bored to tears with all the predictable remarks.

When a pro athlete or club hacker gets sick, even after recovery, it has a lingering impact. For the blind: Nadal is sweating more than usual, just like Federer did the year he went out to Djokovic at the AO. It's his problem. Those are the breaks. And it was stupid to do an underwater photo shoot or whatever promo bs he thinks caused it.

It's funny how people who were mocking Marin and saying he was a fluke for taking so long to beat people at last year's AO are now using it as a reason to talk up his fitness! Vintage MTF.

Both Marin and Rafa go into this match dealing with stuff, and one of them will manage to win. These players are two of my faves, so I'm happy either way. Regardless of the result, I want to see Marin show up and step up.
good post as usual Guy Haines

malisha
01-23-2011, 03:19 AM
two weeks ago if somebody said that Cilic will beat Nadal at AO i wolud think hes nuts but im going with Marin in this one

in 5 sets

tests
01-23-2011, 04:39 AM
i cant believe people actually think cilic will win this. His stamina against isner was abysmal.

Nadal? Nadals gonna toy with cilic like a yo-yo.

nadal in 3

Allez
01-23-2011, 06:49 AM
I think Cilic will have at least one set where he plays really well only for nadal to reel him back and take the set is a tie break. That's about all the challenge there will be for Nadal in this match.

Kiedis
01-23-2011, 06:59 AM
I doubt Cilic will win this i think Rafa takes it in 4.

The sad thing is that if Cilic really pulls the upset, Nadtards already have an excuse.

No excuses at all. Pass by health problems and overcome it is part of the game.

coonster14
01-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Rafa in 4, dropping the 3rd set.

finishingmove
01-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Well, if Rafa drops a set it's because most of his opponents so far have been significantly weaker.

I expect him to win in 3 or 4.

Cilic is looking OK, shouldn't be too worried about losing to the eventual winner.

Topspindoctor
01-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Nadal 7-6 6-4 6-1

tests
01-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Nadal 7-6 6-4 6-1

quoted for truth. i am actually a fan of both nadal and federer (so i dont have bias like nadal and fed tards), but there is no way cilic is challenging nadal.

Straight set victor for the spaniard. Hopefully, his matchup against soderling/murray in the qf is a good one.

Foxy
01-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Cilic is the favorite in this match. He kicked the sh!t out of Rafa the last time they played in Beijing plus Rafa is playing with mono here. You will thank me later when you win some cash off the bookies.

Commander Data
01-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Cilic is the favorite in this match. He kicked the sh!t out of Rafa the last time they played in Beijing plus Rafa is playing with mono here. You will thank me later when you win some cash off the bookies.

Dude seriously, what is up with you?

hemanthjava
01-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Nadal and Cilic do not have a deep history against one another.

Rafael Nadal and Marin Cilic are set to meet in Day 8 action from Melbourne Park as week 2 of the 2011 Australian Open gets underway. Nadal is a player who everyone expected to be in the second week of action while Cilic, though talented, had been slumping for quite some time heading into Melbourne Park.

ossie
01-23-2011, 11:29 AM
rafa in 3 sets

Britain's no.2
01-23-2011, 03:42 PM
nadal will win, this mono talk is ridiculous, the guy sweats a lot no?

nadal_slam_king
01-23-2011, 03:48 PM

Who do you think will win if Rafa wins the first set?

Dyraise
01-23-2011, 03:55 PM
38% voted Cilic?

tennizen
01-23-2011, 03:55 PM
The poll is :cuckoo:

Aenea
01-23-2011, 04:00 PM
The poll is :cuckoo:

Yeah? What do you think the right percentage should be?

tennizen
01-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Closer to 10-15%

A_Skywalker
01-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Nadal will probably win but he will be too tired to beat Ferrer next round

nole_no1
01-23-2011, 04:33 PM
This is Cilic's chance to do damage here
But he's a mug and probably won't :o

Jaz
01-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Cilic played a 5 setter. Nadal 3 setter?

Who will be more tired?

roberthenman
01-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Go Cilic

kindling
01-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Cilic, being that Rafa was already making excuses for an upcoming loss during his last press conference.

«Ivan»
01-23-2011, 05:10 PM
rafa in 3.cilic is drained,not in his old form yet.can't wait cilic at his best.

Rafa is the GOAT
01-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Nadal 7-6 6-4 6-1

great prediction
probably the most likely prediction to happen

Elbarto
01-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Cilic in 4 sets,

because Nadal seems to be not healthy, he played very badly against Tomic

green25814
01-23-2011, 07:40 PM
If Nadal plays the same as he did against Tomic I genuinely think Cilic will win.

He will murder those short groundies.

FormerRafaFan
01-23-2011, 07:46 PM
great prediction
probably the most likely prediction to happen

No, it's not a great prediction at all! Nadal will win, yes. He always steps up his game when he has a difficult opponent. However, it will be tough. I believe it will take 4 or 5 sets but that Rafa will prevail in the end.

Roger the Dodger
01-23-2011, 07:52 PM
If the monorafa rumors are true, then there's little chance of competition. Cilic might win quite easily.

croat123
01-23-2011, 07:53 PM
marin still isn't in his best form. he's definitely on his way back, but i don't think he has to confidence yet to go after the ball like he did the last time they met. hope i'm wrong, but i'm not waking up at 3:30 for this one

shiaben
01-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Non ranks and lower ranks historically are capable of pushing Nadal to 4 sets. If Cilic loses in 4, it's expected.

If he can push it to 5, he will get the respect he greatly deserves.

RagingLamb
01-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Probably a 4-setter. Not sure what will happen. But Cilic definitely has a chance.

Horatio Caine
01-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Difficult to predict.

If Rafa drops the ball short and serves poorly, as he did against Tomic, Cilic will have a field day and could win comfortably. As others have said in this thread, relentless power is one of the most troublesome match-ups for Nadal.

However, if Rafa is able to improve his level it will tough for Cilic to get over the winning line, although obviously he would be capable of winning set(s). Rafa was ill in Doha, yet he managed to handle the fire-power of the erratic Gulbis...not too distant to Cilic's style of play. Moreover, this will be an evening match so the conditions will be slower. On the one hand, if Rafa isn't well enough to hit forcefully, Cilic will have more time to open his shoulders and blaze winners. On the other hand, if Rafa is fine physically, he is likely to simply grind Cilic down.

It really is difficult to predict without knowing much about Rafa's physical condition. :shrug:

samanosuke
01-23-2011, 08:56 PM

nobama
01-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Discuss.

nadal_slam_king
01-23-2011, 10:37 PM
If Nadal plays the same as he did against Tomic I genuinely think Cilic will win.

He will murder those short groundies.

But what are the odds of Rafa hitting short groundies? He said after the Tomic match that he has to hit longer into the court if he wants to make the QF, so there is no way he will hit short groundies :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

careergrandslam
01-24-2011, 01:59 AM
cilic in 3 sets.

nadal is running on fumes.

hemanthjava
01-24-2011, 02:02 AM
I think Cilic will get one set, and Rafa will come out the victor in three sets.

gulzhan
01-24-2011, 02:07 AM
Nadal will probably win but he will be too tired to beat Ferrer next round

+1

careergrandslam
01-24-2011, 02:08 AM
gotta feeling rafa will get a tsonga like thrashing similar to AO 2008.

bookmark this quote.

tests
01-24-2011, 02:11 AM
careergrandslam, i dont get you and other rafa fans. You all praise rafa like hes the GOAT, yet when he faces adversity you guys act like pansies. Nadal is a fucking warrior, he aint gonna lose to a scrub of cilic or ferrers caliber.

Sick or not, Nadal will simply not lose, especially with the opporunity to make history.

Manequin75
01-24-2011, 02:16 AM
But what are the odds of Rafa hitting short groundies? He said after the Tomic match that he has to hit longer into the court if he wants to make the QF, so there is no way he will hit short groundies :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

groundies being short or long has to do with confidence and how your opponent is playing among other things. If it would be simply voluntary and out of choice nobody would play short (for the most part!). When you have time to set up your shot, sure you have an easier time hitting long but when you are on the run trying to retrieve missiles its not so much in your hands. Rafa says this all the time - I need to play long and play aggressive and play inside the court. But naturally he is more comfotable camping a couple yards outside the court and from there he ends up hitting short too. And if he starts playing aggressive and ends up losing the set or going down in a match he will switch into full defensive mode and you will then see him play clay court tennis. DOnt blame him coz that is who he is and that style is the most natural to him.

I think the key will be Rafa's serve. If he is making first serves he will expend less energy in his service games and have more left for return games. And then when he is leading in the game he will play attacking aggressive tennis.

But for all of that the key is that he shouldnt be feeling tired and drained or as he says "uninspired". Todays match might be a long one and could give us more insights into Rafa's condition. I was very low about the whole situation with Rafa yesterday but kinda stable again and looking forward to his match with cilic. I dont feel very confident about Rafa Slam anymore but lets take it one set at a time :)

Mimi
01-24-2011, 02:25 AM
if he plays as bad as against Tomic, he will be toasted in 3 sets:rolleyes:

Manequin75
01-24-2011, 02:28 AM
careergrandslam, i dont get you and other rafa fans. You all praise rafa like hes the GOAT, yet when he faces adversity you guys act like pansies. Nadal is a fucking warrior, he aint gonna lose to a scrub of cilic or ferrers caliber.

Sick or not, Nadal will simply not lose, especially with the opporunity to make history.

many are just being superstitious ; trying to anti-jinx rafa, take pressure off etc. Same applies to many fed fans here. I wouldnt read too much into all this - just nerves talking :)

Dyraise
01-24-2011, 02:30 AM
if he plays as bad as against Tomic, he will be toasted in 3 sets:rolleyes:

But Marin played almost five hours in his previous match...

Mimi
01-24-2011, 02:32 AM

you are right, I am a pansy, but i don't praise rafa like he is the GOAT, the GOAT is till roger:wavey:

Mr. Oracle
01-24-2011, 04:05 AM
both are tired, hopefully we get to see a true cage match and lots of blood, sweat, tears. earn your pay boys!

Tennis4you-com
01-24-2011, 04:16 AM
I can't imagine Nadal will have any issues with this match at all. Nadal in 3.

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 04:22 AM
Hype is usually wrong, and I get the impression all this flu hype is going to look silly after the match :o

tests
01-24-2011, 04:27 AM
Hype is usually wrong, and I get the impression all this flu hype is going to look silly after the match :o

i already saw it in my crystal ball. Once nadal eats cilic alive, he will build on his victory and then ferrer will be toast. ONly muray stands in his way, if he gets past murray, look out world, nadal will win 5 SLAMS IN A ROW (french open is already a given).

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 04:41 AM
i already saw it in my crystal ball. Once nadal eats cilic alive, he will build on his victory and then ferrer will be toast. ONly muray stands in his way, if he gets past murray, look out world, nadal will win 5 SLAMS IN A ROW (french open is already a given).

Yep very interesting situation right now.

tests
01-24-2011, 04:45 AM
and i dont want to look TOO FAR AHEAD, but if nadal wins the aus open, i dont see him playing a bajillion clay tournies before the FO. Then, once the FO is in the bag... wimbledon. Whose stopping nadal at wimbledon? Roddick? Murray? chokovic? Only someone whose hitting blasting forehands/backhands is beating nadal at wimbledon. And, i dont see nadal going back to back 5 sets again this year. Federer? Yea right.

6 in a row... lmao. He would make the tour look like a joke.

oranges
01-24-2011, 04:50 AM
and i dont want to look TOO FAR AHEAD, but if nadal wins the aus open, i dont see him playing a bajillion clay tournies before the FO. Then, once the FO is in the bag... wimbledon. Whose stopping nadal at wimbledon? Roddick? Murray? chokovic? Only someone whose hitting blasting forehands/backhands is beating nadal at wimbledon. And, i dont see nadal going back to back 5 sets again this year. Federer? Yea right.

6 in a row... lmao. He would make the tour look like a joke.

I know, if only not for the damn virus, it would all come true.

tests
01-24-2011, 04:54 AM
on another note, murrays looking strong. If he makes it to the sf, nadal better watch out!

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 05:09 AM
on another note, murrays looking strong. If he makes it to the sf, nadal better watch out!

Yep I know Murray is a threat, but their matches are so entertaining to watch I don't even think of the 'threat' I just think 'this is going to be an awesome match'. I must say though, I remain unconvinced that Murray can win a slam, because I think the "QF" or "SF" is much easier for him than the "F" because mentally the prospect of winning a slam is too much for him to take and he plays passive in the GS Final. Hope that changes, but until then I think its a waste if he makes the Final.

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 05:33 AM
Just saw Rafa training on court 14, very aggressive mood.

Priam
01-24-2011, 05:34 AM
He needs to be aggressive. At this point, I'm thinking Cilic is more tired than Rafa.

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 05:38 AM
He needs to be aggressive. At this point, I'm thinking Cilic is more tired than Rafa.

Same here, I think Rafa regardless of health would most likely be aided by some very brief matches so far. Plus even if Rafa wasn't hitting with power vs Tomic he was definitely moving around the court well.

SheepleBuster
01-24-2011, 06:03 AM

Nadal won't win this slam. He won't beat Murray and Djokovic back to back. Sorry! In fact, I don't think he beats Cilic and if he does, Murray will spank him again

careergrandslam
01-24-2011, 06:04 AM

he never plays aggressive in the match, im talking first strike tennis.
i hope he plays aggressive because he needs to play that way to conserve energy, the flu is draining his energy and he feels tired quicker.

Greystoke
01-24-2011, 06:08 AM
154 voters and cilic has 40% votes, wtf?
I voted for him, but that's more of a "come on" vote. I believe Neighdahl will win this one, he's (supposed to be :D) a better player than Marin. Of course, I'd love to be surprised.

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 06:18 AM
Rafa just left the practice court (14) and Federer was there when Rafa walked off. Federer was schedule to be on court 17 for his practice and changed plans in the last minute so he could step onto court 14 as Rafa was leaving. They didn't talk.

tests
01-24-2011, 06:22 AM
LOL. Did someone just say they think cilic is more tired than nadal? The same nadal that had a marathon match vs verdasco, and was fitter than federer? The same nadal that rarely gets outfitnessed(is that even a word) by the opponent?

THIS IS NADALS fucking opportunity to make history, and do you really think hes going to squander it? Like i said, theres only one opponent that stands in his way, and thats andy fucking murray. Good thing is, murray/nadal matches are awesome(much better than fed/nadal imo)

Mr. Oracle
01-24-2011, 06:24 AM

Did he look like he came out of a monsoon?

Ihope we get to see a rafa/murray semi to see if rafa can redeem himself from last year. All the joints are fine this year and I hope the virus issue does not come up again. The fans will be robbed. If I were rafa, I would not bring it up again. Great drama for sure.

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 06:25 AM
Did he look like he came out of a monsoon?

He was yelling at himself, but hard to judge his groundstroke aggression.

Mr. Oracle
01-24-2011, 06:32 AM
He was yelling at himself, but hard to judge his groundstroke aggression.

yeah but was he soaking wet with sweat?

oranges
01-24-2011, 06:34 AM
nsk, recounting his dream here, not actual event, just thought I'd mention for reference

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 06:34 AM
yeah but was he soaking wet with sweat?

Dry as a banana. No shirt stains even.

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 06:35 AM
nsk, recounting his dream here, not actual event, just thought I'd mention for reference

I don't even remember/have dreams, or only remember one dream every 10 years, none recent.

Mr. Oracle
01-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Dry as a banana. No shirt stains even.

he is all out of sweat from last match.

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 06:45 AM
he is all out of sweat from last match.

I'm not sure very complex to deduce.

Fedal2010
01-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Lol the poll loves Marin..

shiaben
01-24-2011, 07:06 AM
I don't think the poll loves Cilic. I think it's that most of the MTF guys are making the prediction based off feverr/illnesses. Plausible though.

rafa_maniac
01-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Cilic will take the first, then either Nadal comes back to win in 4, or he gets roasted. Not sure which, it depends if he's in Tomic mode again.

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Cilic will take the first, then either Nadal comes back to win in 4, or he gets roasted. Not sure which, it depends if he's in Tomic mode again.

Cilic will have to take the first or he has almost zero% chance of winning based on history. So yes if anyone wants an interesting contest, hope for Cilic to win 1st set.

careergrandslam
01-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Cilic will have to take the first or he has almost zero% chance of winning based on history. So yes if anyone wants an interesting contest, hope for Cilic to win 1st set.

stop jinxing nadal u fool.
ugh!:mad:

Mimi
01-24-2011, 08:11 AM

:hug::smooch:

nadal_slam_king
01-24-2011, 08:24 AM

No problem, the law of the jinx becomes a fallacy tonight :D

ossie
01-24-2011, 09:51 AM
gotta feeling rafa will get a tsonga like thrashing similar to AO 2008.

bookmark this quote.match isnt even over yet and already you look like a clown