AO R3: (1)Nadal def. promising Tomic 6-2, 7-5, 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO R3: (1)Nadal def. promising Tomic 6-2, 7-5, 6-3

MIMIC
01-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Despite this being a really weird, up and down match (both entertaining and puzzling), I think it really showed everyone that this Bernard Tomic guy has some great potential. I've never seen an entire match of this guy before today.

This was by no means a rout; the match was actually pretty competitive. Tomic was up 4*-0 in the second set but I think the inexperience really got to him and he couldn't maintain the psychological effort of "putting the World No. 1 to bed". Nadal ran off with 4 straight games when Tomic served to go up 5-love.

Nadal....seemed a bit out of it in the 2nd set (and a little in the first). His serve wasn't on. But when it was, Tomic did a really good job reading it. Tomic did a great job reading most of Nadal's shots. A LOAD of UEs for Nadal.

Overall, I think Nadal did well to figure out exactly how to manage Tomic but it was a very slow process. Tomic's smart shot selection allowed for him to remain an enigma for most of the match because honestly, this match had ZERO rhythm.

Voo de Mar
01-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Expected progress in the 2nd set, Tomic was playing too well to maintain that level, I think Nadal knew it when broke to 1:4, made his first fist-pump then.