Australian open R3: Nadal def. Tomic 6-2 7-5 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Australian open R3: Nadal def. Tomic 6-2 7-5 6-3

Speed of Light
01-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Awful by Nadal, he looked sick out there.

Thanos
01-22-2011, 11:41 AM
well done tomic in winning 10 games :yeah:

green25814
01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
10 games? Tomic should've won the second set easily.

Rafa was lucky he was playing a teenager. Awful.

Certinfy
01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Cilic really does have a realistic chance of beating Rafa :o

solowyn
01-22-2011, 11:44 AM
10 games? Tomic should've won the second set easily.

Rafa was lucky he was playing a teenager. Awful.
:yeah:

Tomic went for his shots much more than what I saw of his game against Chardy, much better.

Dmitry Verdasco
01-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Rafa was so sweaty :drool:

Yves.
01-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Rafa wants to destroy Tomic xD

Pfloyd
Good training for Rafa, Cilic might be hard, if he is not too tired from today's match.

nevenez
Tomic hit a lot of very good shots.
I was a little bit surprised.

GSMnadal
01-22-2011, 11:47 AM
That interview, destroy Tomic :haha:

uNIVERSE mAN
01-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Horrible performance from Nadal. I expect his odds will drop siginficantly from this.

green25814
01-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Tomic played well but he was made to look way better than he was. The number of short groundstrokes from Nadal was very poor. Federer, Murray, Soderling, maybe Djokovic would've crushed him today.

Its unreal how he always plays like this in the early rounds though.

tjohansson
01-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Bernard :) . Gave it his all but didn't quite have the maturity in his game tonight, Bit more maturity he would of taken the second set but to put himself in that position leading two breaks against the World Number one is a dream spot to be in and Tomic will kick himself for a while because he knows he undid himself and not his opponent, The thing I like about Tomic is he stayed competitive the whole game and alot of players who play Nadal fade very quickly but moving Nadal around the court is also a very hard thing to do and he commanded most of the second set but just mental errors or pushing a shot really was the end result.

FormerRafaFan
01-22-2011, 11:50 AM
I was almost right in my prediction! I said it would be three tight sets. I said it would be 6-4, 7-5, 6-4. lol.

Rafa played like crap today though. He needs to step it up if he wants to win against Cilic.

Credit to Tomic too. He was very good today. I think this player has a lot of potential:yeah:

FedFan
01-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Maybe Cilic will be too tired.

Cilic is a marathon man.

Remember last year, when he had a few long and tough matches and he went to the semis?

Fightness might not be the deciding factor, he is usually very fit.

gjr
01-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Rafa's mot going to win the title playing like that. Thought Tomic was pretty good though.

NadalesDios
01-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Nadal upped his level when necessary in second set, the rest of the match was a training.
He didn't lose a set yet, unlike others...

finn98
01-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Nadal needs a new shirt ASAP..
He should fire the moneys behind NIKE whoever designed a sweat-locking t shirt for australian open :help:
Doesn't anyone on Nadal's camp notice this kind of shiz :rolleyes:

green25814
01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Nadal upped his level when necessary in second set, the rest of the match was a training.

Tomic lost the second set, Nadal didn't do anything except put the ball back in play.

ApproachShot
01-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Hopefully the second set acted as a wake up call to Nadal. After the plain sailing in the first two rounds, I think it is good from his perspective that he was somewhat tested.

And yes, I don't know what material his new shirt is made out of, but he should just go back to wearing what he was before.

Orka_n
01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Only saw the last set but Nadal was not very impressive. It's just that Tomic didn't have the consistent power that is needed to defeat Nadal.

Anyway, the real tournament starts now.

chenx15
01-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Good training for Rafa, Cilic might be hard, if he is not too tired from today's match.

Cilic has the weekend to rest. he will be fresh by Monday

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 11:58 AM
2010 Australian Open: Cilic defeated Tomic 6-7(6) 6-3 4-6 6-2 6-4

chenx15
01-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Tomic was too cocky, too immature, and too inconsistent on serve specially in the second set after leading 4-1. Idiot, totally his fault he could have lasted longer

barbadosan

Why on earth should he lose a set playing against players ranked no. 93, 116 and 199?

NadalesDios
Tomic lost the second set, Nadal didn't do anything except put the ball back in play.

Of course have a 7-1 partial when your losing 4-0 is very easy for all the players in the world jajajaja
C'mon man, only nadal can do this sort of things.

Jelena
To me Rafa seemed a little bit slowlier than last year. Anyway, after the second set it was a routine win.

Dr.Slice
01-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Due to Eurosport being c*** I didnt see the match till the 3rd set, what happened to Tomic at 4:0 in second set? Did he start playing tight and choked or did Nadal raise his level? In anycase, if Nadal plays like this against Cilic, Cilic might actually have a chance.

RIboy
01-22-2011, 12:12 PM

:confused: I could play 5 sets vs Jimbo or Dr. Ivo :rolleyes:

FormerRafaFan
01-22-2011, 12:12 PM
He should fire the moneys behind NIKE whoever designed a sweat-locking t shirt for australian open :help:

I've said that all along! Nike created a shirt for him that doesn't evaporate the sweat. It just kinda stays there. Most be very uncomfortable for him :(

Raiden
01-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Was Nadal's shirt made of nylon fabric or what? LMAO

oranges
01-22-2011, 12:14 PM
:confused: I could play 5 sets vs Jimbo or Dr. Ivo :rolleyes:

I'd love to see that match :lol:

On a serious note, he shouldn't be too tired. Unlike last AO, he hasn't accumulated too much of it so far.

Chartreuse
01-22-2011, 12:17 PM
I've said that all along! Nike created a shirt for him that doesn't evaporate the sweat. It just kinda stays there. Most be very uncomfortable for him :(

Nike are clueless.

GSMnadal
01-22-2011, 12:18 PM
It's a conspiracy by nike, they want Roger to win the tournament.

coonster14
01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Rafa :o, he played terrible, crappy 1st serve %, needs to step it up for the next match against Cilic.

Tomic :hatoff:, I thought he played pretty well given the occasion, still 18, this youngster has alot of potential.

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I knew it wouldn't be easy. Tomic and Rafa practiced last year and Rafa smashed a racquet during it.

paseo
01-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Not the demolition I was expecting, but the result was NID

Next.

robiht
01-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Lets see in the 2013 AO Tomic again.
I hope he will be top20 player,i like his unique style ...

osmonde
01-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Who could come back from 0-4 to win the set with no 1st serve and missing shots? A win is a win, no matter how, job done.

Tomic kept his cool which is a good sign for improvement.

Manequin75
01-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I knew it wouldn't be easy. Tomic and Rafa practiced last year and Rafa smashed a racquet during it.

Rafa didnt look his usual self:

(1) His first serve deserted him. And that frustrated him and took apart the rest of his game.
(2) More double faults tha usual. Made him tentative on his second serve resulting in a weak delivery.
(3) Could not make Tomic run from side to side. Infact Tomic was making Rafa run side to side. Weird I tell you.
(4) Too many backhand errors.
(5) Forehand - usually his most reliable weapon was just unable to hit the usual winners. Everything was coming back.
(6) Played too defensive - waiting for tomic to make mistakes.
(7) Tomic was present whereever Rafa was hitting. How was he able to cover the whole court like that?
(8) No penetration in Rafa's shots. The court was too slow...never thought that would be a reason to complain.

The most important thing was that he was still bale to win in straight sets. Hopefully this match was just a bad dream.

peribsen
01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
After two very easy rivals, this was like round 1 for Rafa. It's good that he was pressured, it may help him get the engine started.
Tomic was great, we'll probably see more of him. About time that a country with Australia's history in the sport started bringing out some worthy youngsters.

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
In 4 years, Rafa vs Tomic will be the most heated rivalry in tennis.

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Rafa didnt look his usual self:

(1) His first serve deserted him. And that frustrated him and took apart the rest of his game.
(2) More double faults tha usual. Made him tentative on his second serve resulting in a weak delivery.
(3) Could not make Tomic run from side to side. Infact Tomic was making Rafa run side to side. Weird I tell you.
(4) Too many backhand errors.
(5) Forehand - usually his most reliable weapon was just unable to hit the usual winners. Everything was coming back.
(6) Played too defensive - waiting for tomic to make mistakes.
(7) Tomic was present whereever Rafa was hitting. How was he able to cover the whole court like that?
(8) No penetration in Rafa's shots. The court was too slow...never thought that would be a reason to complain.

The most important thing was that he was still bale to win in straight sets. Hopefully this match was just a bad dream.

It's almost as if the US Open surface suits Rafa more than the AO surface. And when you look at his record at the US Open, it's better than his record at the AO. The AO surface gives players too much time to retrieve Rafa's groundies, and his serve.

born_on_clay
01-22-2011, 12:56 PM
job done :)

Topspindoctor
01-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Ugly win. I hope he'll get the muggery out of his system before the second week. Missing basic groundstrokes, serving terrible and too passive. Tomic played OK, but Nadal was terrible.

Blackbriar
01-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Tomic/Dimitrov/Berankis/Young = The Big Four :rolleyes:

lleytonfan!
01-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Good work on making it somewhat competitive Tomic. He really should have won the second set though, that game at 4-0 was just pathetic. Good luck to Rafa next round. In the end a straightforward win.

luie
01-22-2011, 12:59 PM
I can't beieve that pedestrian mover Tomic gave rafa so much trouble, should be a good one against cilic.
Cilic will be ready he loves AO courts & is no stranger to 5 setters.
I see the serve is becoming a bit of a worry for nadull.
The ground strokes I wouldn't read too much into it as with his style it usually takes a few rds to get settled,& ffs change that shirt.

amaze
01-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Everyone else but Rafa would have gotten destroyed by that smart Tomic kid today.:yeah:

Commander Data
01-22-2011, 01:18 PM
That shitty nike shirt.

:haha:

finn98
01-22-2011, 01:21 PM
It's almost as if the US Open surface suits Rafa more than the AO surface. And when you look at his record at the US Open, it's better than his record at the AO. The AO surface gives players too much time to retrieve Rafa's groundies, and his serve.

I was thinking the same thing...
AO surface becomes "suitable" only when Nadal is hitting deep groundies and since this surface aids his spin...the ball comes in heavy and hard at his opponents..But generally..Nadal's shots are barely falling near the service line and thus the added spin is just helping the balls get into his opponents "hitzone" with less pace...I guess..USO on the otherhand..doesn't slow down his "pace" thus giving his opponents less time to react :confused:

A_Skywalker
01-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Everyone else but Rafa would have gotten destroyed by that smart Tomic kid today.:yeah:

Nah, Federer would have easily beaten Tomic, Nadal has problems against this type of players, next tough match will be against Cilic, I hope for 3 set win too, but it will be very tough.

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 01:25 PM
I was thinking the same thing...
AO surface becomes "suitable" only when Nadal is hitting deep groundies and since this surface aids his spin...the ball comes in heavy and hard at his opponents..But generally..Nadal's shots are barely falling near the service line and thus the added spin is just helping the balls get into his opponents "hitzone" with less pace...I guess..USO on the otherhand..doesn't slow down his "pace" thus giving his opponents less time to react :confused:

Exactly, and the commentators have never picked up on it, none of them. And even when Rafa won the AO he came extremely close to losing to Verdasco.

Topspindoctor
01-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Problem is Nadal has had it way too easy in the first two rounds. In USO he had tough matches against Gabashvili and Istomin giving him time to dial in his serve and groundstrokes. Winning effortlessly in early rounds is NOT good for Nadal. He needs to be pushed otherwise he plays like a clown. Hopefully today's match was good enough practice. I hope for a tough 4th round against Cilic. He is still not playing even to 50% of his potential.

finn98
01-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Exactly, and the commentators have never picked up on it, none of them. And even when Rafa won the AO he came extremely close to losing to Verdasco.

Guess Rafito will win more USOs than AOs then :yeah:

Start da Game
01-22-2011, 01:30 PM
it's not that nadal played bad, that is how he had to play today to beat tomic........it's not about convincing the fans, it's about getting the job done........

i called this match very similar to the simon match of 2009........that is what it was and nadal played such an intelligent match once again, exactly how i thought he would play........if he tried to be flashy, he would have been in trouble today.......now watch him chance his tactics against cilic.......

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Guess Rafito will win more USOs than AOs then :yeah:

I think that's what will happen. He can win AOs but it will be more 'touch and go' and rely on outlasting his opponents more than blowing them away.

Jaz
01-22-2011, 01:44 PM

No one thought this you mug. :rolleyes:

The match was poor.

Tomic
- First set he tried to slice Nadal. He clearly needs better tactics. I don't remember anybody winning using that strategy before.
- He choked the 2nd set away.
- He makes far too many simple errors in rallies, really need to sort it out. He also has a difficulty holding serve.

Good performance for such a young man though.

Nadal
- Didn't really need to do very much to win.
- Average serving.
- A lot of short balls, seemed unable to control points, and basically won most of them by an error from Tomic.

Jaz
01-22-2011, 01:46 PM
it's not that nadal played bad, that is how he had to play today to beat tomic........it's not about convincing the fans, it's about getting the job done........

i called this match very similar to the simon match of 2009........that is what it was and nadal played such an intelligent match once again, exactly how i thought he would play........if he tried to be flashy, he would have been in trouble today.......now watch him chance his tactics against cilic.......

He did play very average though. Tomic was leaking errors throughout the match, this was no pusher.

You must really be wearing tinted shades if you think Nadal played well, or that Tomic was playing well enough to hurt him.

Topspindoctor
01-22-2011, 01:52 PM
He did play very average though. Tomic was leaking errors throughout the match, this was no pusher.

You must really be wearing tinted shades if you think Nadal played well, or that Tomic was playing well enough to hurt him.

I don't think anyone thinks Nadal actually played well in that match.

Nole fan
01-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Tomic played well but he was made to look way better than he was. The number of short groundstrokes from Nadal was very poor. Federer, Murray, Soderling, maybe Djokovic would've crushed him today.

Its unreal how he always plays like this in the early rounds though.

Exactly, which means nothing. You know he'll just get stronger in the later stages when it matters. He always does. Nadal is most dangerous in semifinals and finals than in any other stage of the tournament.

Start da Game
01-22-2011, 02:07 PM

yes he did not play well in the sense he did not try to assert himself on tomic, if you noticed........

nadal had to be average today and make tomic work.......that's what he did exactly........nadal knew that if he tried to dominate, he would be in trouble........if you are still confused of what i said, feel free to ask again........

Chartreuse
01-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Problem is Nadal has had it way too easy in the first two rounds. In USO he had tough matches against Gabashvili and Istomin giving him time to dial in his serve and groundstrokes. Winning effortlessly in early rounds is NOT good for Nadal.

It's not good for anyone. The only top player that had been tested so far was Fed vs Simon. Nole, Murray and Soderling have not been tested yet....

FormerRafaFan
01-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm not too worried when it comes to Nadal.. sure, he played crap today. But he ALWAYS plays crap during the early rounds. I'm sure he'll up his level against Cilic. He saw what wasn't working today and what he needs to work on. I think it's a good thing he got tested here before the next matches.

Nole fan
01-22-2011, 02:18 PM
It's not good for anyone. The only top player that had been tested so far was Fed vs Simon. Nole, Murray and Soderling have not been tested yet....

At least Nole will be tested by Almagro, I think. Not sure about Murray and Sod, they haven't played anyone difficult yet.

Chartreuse
01-22-2011, 02:21 PM
At least Nole will be tested by Almagro, I think. Not sure about Murray and Sod, they haven't played anyone difficult yet.

Almagro? Oh no. Nole has beaten him even on clay. Easy matchup... first test will be in QF vs Berdych or Verdasco.

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm not too worried when it comes to Nadal.. sure, he played crap today. But he ALWAYS plays crap during the early rounds. I'm sure he'll up his level against Cilic. He saw what wasn't working today and what he needs to work on. I think it's a good thing he got tested here before the next matches.

I agree, Rafa does seem to play at a much higher level once he's experienced a rather rusty outing. The match after such an outing is usually a brilliant performance. He'll probably smash Cilic to pieces.

Topspindoctor
01-22-2011, 02:30 PM
I agree, Rafa does seem to play at a much higher level once he's experienced a rather rusty outing. The match after such an outing is usually a brilliant performance. He'll probably smash Cilic to pieces.

::yeah:

I'm glad he's had a match where he played badly and won in straights. Hopefully he'll play better in next round against Mugin Cilic.

shuhrat
01-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Almagro? Oh no. Nole has beaten him even on clay. Easy matchup... first test will be in QF vs Berdych or Verdasco.
Almagro had a wrist injury from the start of the match and couldn't hit the ball properly. So it means nothing.

Jaz
01-22-2011, 02:51 PM

This would probably be because Cilic has played a 5 setter epic....

Arkulari
01-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Exactly, which means nothing. You know he'll just get stronger in the later stages when it matters. He always does. Nadal is most dangerous in semifinals and finals than in any other stage of the tournament.

This.

Rafa played awfully and still managed to win in straight sets, maybe this is the wake-up call he needed to up his level ;)

Kiedis
01-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Nadal, who applauded Tomic from the court, said the young Australian had the ability to become a future rival.

"He's the kind of player who is very difficult to play against. His style of game is not easy to play," Nadal said.

"Congratulations to him, every year he is improving and he has a big chance to be in the top positions.

"He makes you play bad and it was difficult to move him off the baseline. I had to go to the net more more because I didn't have the shots from the baseline to destroy him."

Nadal said he still was not fully over a virus he picked up in Doha on the way to Australia.

"It seems like my body is still not perfect," he said. "I am sweating more than usual. I am more tired than usual when I'm playing.

"Hopefully I'm gonna improve. I don't know what's going on. I am doing all that I can.

"I am working, I am resting. I can't do more."

http://onehd.com.au/onehd/newsarticles/Tennis-Nadal-pushed-by-Tomic-at-Open-TX-PAR-NYA96.htm

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 03:20 PM
::yeah:

I'm glad he's had a match where he played badly and won in straights. Hopefully he'll play better in next round against Mugin Cilic.

This would probably be because Cilic has played a 5 setter epic....

Good, I'm really looking forward to the Rafa-Cilic duel. The prize is huge, because Rafa will probably only have to beat Ferrer after that to qualify for SF. I certainly like Rafa's chances if he qualifies for the SF without dropping a set. Outstanding.

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Weeeeeeak era.

Isn't Tomic supposed to be a major talent? :lol:

Singularity
01-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Weeeeeeak era.

Isn't Tomic supposed to be a major talent? :lol:
Yeah, he can't even beat the no.1 player in the world. What a mug.

abraxas21
01-22-2011, 03:31 PM
In 4 years, Rafa vs Tomic will be the most heated rivalry in tennis.

in 4 years time rafa won't even be in the top 10

Allez
01-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Expected outcome. Tomic could have tried a bit harder out there. Too casual at times. I seriously hope Rafa is OK. I've never seen him sweat this much before :eek:

Start da Game
01-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Expected outcome. Tomic could have tried a bit harder out there. Too casual at times. I seriously hope Rafa is OK. I've never seen him sweat this much before :eek:

it's not that he sweated a lot.......the technology of his shirt is such that it transfers all the sweat outside and keeps him dry inside.......

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 03:35 PM
in 4 years rafa won't even be in the top 10

In 4 years he won't be able to play on clay even, and grass? Clay/grass is where he gets a big chunk of his points (masters shields too), so are you telling me Murray/Djokovic will be beating Rafa on clay in 4 years :D ?

abraxas21
01-22-2011, 03:37 PM
In 4 years he won't be able to play on clay even, and grass? Clay/grass is where he gets a big chunk of his points (masters shields too), so are you telling me Murray/Djokovic will be beating Rafa on clay in 4 years :D ?

dont know about those 2 but others will certainly be able to beat nadull way more often. this tomic kid will be one of them. it won't even be a rivalry.

feel free to bump this prediction in 2015.

Fujee
Tomic and Dologopolov made some statements about the future top guns in tennis today

Allez
it's not that he sweated a lot.......the technology of his shirt is such that it transfers all the sweat outside and keeps him dry inside.......

Cheers... I thought the shirt had a bit to do with it :D

paseo

Really? Damn fine technology there.

Kiedis
01-22-2011, 03:38 PM

"I'm sweating a lot," Nadal said on Canal Plus Sport "The truth is that I'm getting tired than usual and have trouble throwing long. In Abu Dhabi was fine physically but with the virus that affected me in Doha I lost electricity makes me a better player."

In the press room, and dry, he continued: "I've changed five or six times-shirt and was not so hot. I lost two kilos and a half and I do not usually lose weight in games. Must be consequences of the disease. I suppose that after the flu earlier this year, my body will have been a tad lower than usual. I am a player who sweats when he is with anxiety. In such cases, sweat more. But there's no more anxiety, but sudo the ciborium. And most worrying is that I get tired training. "

From press conference.

Start da Game
01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
From press conference.

damn...tell me you are kidding.......

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
From press conference.

Was that in the Spanish press conference? It sounds like its been translated.

If he's lost 2 kilos, then winning this AO will indeed be his greatest achievement, very much against the odds :yeah:

Shade
01-22-2011, 03:45 PM
I actually thought Tomic played better than Nadal on average throughout the match, but the inexperience and poor shot selection at key moments got to him.

Start da Game
01-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Really? Damn fine technology there.

yes, that's the technology of that shirt.......with more sweat like what kiedis claims to be true, it will only transfer more sweat outside.......

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 03:46 PM
I actually thought Tomic played better than Nadal on average throughout the match, but the inexperience and poor shot selection at key moments got to him.

Yeah, Tomic controlled the rallies a lot for the first 2 sets, but he also made a lot of errors (except for the first 4 games of the 2nd set).

james82
01-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Tomic and Dologopolov made some statements about the future top guns in tennis today

so many of them coming through,Berankis,Dimitrov,Nishikori,Tomic,Harrison ,Raonic than u got the other guys like del potro and cilic
cant wait for the new era

Start da Game
01-22-2011, 03:47 PM

If he's lost 2 kilos, then winning this AO will indeed be his greatest achievement, very much against the odds :yeah:

i like you positive attitude but maybe we have some bad news here.......if what nadal said is true, it would take a heroic effort now to win the AO and accomplish the rafa slam.......

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 03:51 PM
i like you positive attitude but maybe we have some bad news here.......if what nadal said is true, it would take a heroic effort now to win the AO and accomplish the rafa slam.......

That's what I mean, it'll be his greatest achievement ever, a lot like the 2009 AO when he played with tendonitis all the way (his 2008 tendonitis flareup never went away) and had to play the 9 hours combined SF and F. Sure he's tired and he's losing weight, but at least he's able to sprint around the court still, we just witnessed it, so at least he's got that function still. He can still win it, especially if he doesn't drop sets, avoid the 4-5hr matches.

Allez
01-22-2011, 03:53 PM
The Anti-Jinx machine is working very well.

Kiedis
01-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Right.

damn...tell me you are kidding.......

http://www.marca.com/2011/01/22/tenis/open_australia/1295707383.html

His is recovering but he'll be fine.

Rafa#Uno:-)
01-22-2011, 03:56 PM

yes something wrong with that shirt
you need a shirt material that breathes...:eek:

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Nike used to make baggy shirts for Agassi, that is the best for hot weather.

Raferminator
01-22-2011, 04:04 PM

I'm not sure Rafa is really even sweating at all.

I think it's just the tears of the haters.

DrJules
01-22-2011, 04:11 PM

That's what I mean, it'll be his greatest achievement ever, a lot like the 2009 AO when he played with tendonitis all the way (his 2008 tendonitis flareup never went away) and had to play the 9 hours combined SF and F. Sure he's tired and he's losing weight, but at least he's able to sprint around the court still, we just witnessed it, so at least he's got that function still. He can still win it, especially if he doesn't drop sets, avoid the 4-5hr matches.

Getting worried that Murray, Djokovic or Federer may be too good for Nadal at AO. All will be revealed in next week.

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Getting worried that Murray, Djokovic or Federer may be too good for Nadal at AO. All will be revealed in next week.

They won't be too good if Rafa keeps winning in straight sets. I'm not worried unless I see a player win 2 sets first. Plus, if Rafa wins the first set of any match we know he'll win the match. He's only ever lost one match in slams after winning the first set.

Nole fan
01-22-2011, 04:18 PM
I was very impressed with Tomic and not just because he gave a scare to Rafa in the second set. Even tough Rafa didn’t play well at all, Tomic was anticipating all his moves effortlessly. That’s what impressed me more about him, how well he positions himself on the court returning Rafa’s serve with ease and everything without almost breaking a sweat. Rafa was doing all the running and all the sweating, Tomic looked fresh and untroubled. It’s amazing how this kid can do so much with his limited movement on court. He hardly ever runs, but he’s always there. Uncanny.
Nadal is suffering with the short time he has spent on court since the beginning of the tournament. He needs to grind out matches in order to play his best tennis in the latest stages of the tournament. He even looked tired after just one set. Not normal for him.
So far I think both Djoko and specially Murray are playing their best tennis and maybe Federer and Nadal not so much. Of course that doesn’t mean a lot, because we know that Fedal always steps it up in the later stages of a slam. But still it gives me hope.

Myrre
01-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Rafa getting his excuses ready for not completing the "mini Slam"

moon language
01-22-2011, 04:24 PM
So many short backhands from Nadal. Those are going to get him in trouble against better players.

Nole fan
01-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Well after reading Nadal's press conference I think his fans should be worried. He's not only saying that he's more tired and sweating more than normal, but he also said that he gets tired after practice which is no good at all. What kind of virus did he get? :eek:
I didn't know it was possible to lose two kilos and a half in one match, OMG. :speakles:

Start da Game
01-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I was very impressed with Tomic and not just because he gave a scare to Rafa in the second set. Even tough Rafa didnít play well at all, Tomic was anticipating all his moves effortlessly. Thatís what impressed me more about him, how well he positions himself on the court returning Rafaís serve with ease and everything without almost breaking a sweat. Rafa was doing all the running and all the sweating, Tomic looked fresh and untroubled. Itís amazing how this kid can do so much with his limited movement on court. He hardly ever runs, but heís always there. Uncanny.
Nadal is suffering with the short time he has spent on court since the beginning of the tournament. He needs to grind out matches in order to play his best tennis in the latest stages of the tournament. He even looked tired after just one set. Not normal for him.
So far I think both Djoko and specially Murray are playing their best tennis and maybe Federer and Nadal not so much. Of course that doesnít mean a lot, because we know that Fedal always steps it up in the later stages of a slam. But still it gives me hope.

concurred, this kid can play if he focuses........he is pretty much like simon with a slice and good first serve.......deceptive off the ground.......his movement is still a question mark though.......to me it looked like he can be wrong footed easily.......

Nadull_tard
01-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Nadal sweats horribly, I hope it's not mono. It would be a massive excuse for every loss until 2020.

Sapeod
01-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Nadull was horrible, Tomic was also pretty bad and he has no weapons.
Hilariously bad match.
Nadull is looking pathetic, no way he beats Murray if they meet.
In fact, I fail to see how he's going to beat Ferrer like this.

Foxy
01-22-2011, 04:48 PM
in 4 years time rafa won't even be in the top 10

I already heard this 4 years ago... :haha:

Nadull_tard
01-22-2011, 04:52 PM

And I heard that he won't loose at RG till he retires. Funny, no?

SheepleBuster
01-22-2011, 05:45 PM

He has beaten him before. I give Cilic a better chance than freaking Isner

kyleskywalker007
01-22-2011, 05:47 PM
At least he put up a decent fight. Thank god he didn't have to play Lalo.... that would have been some awesome ****.

abraxas21
01-22-2011, 05:48 PM

not from me

Gladiator
01-22-2011, 05:48 PM
This Tomic is really good, his ranking does not suit his performance

Rafa vs Cilic tough match

Roger the Dodger
01-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Nadull was horrible, Tomic was also pretty bad and he has no weapons.
Hilariously bad match.
Nadull is looking pathetic, no way he beats Murray if they meet.
In fact, I fail to see how he's going to beat Ferrer like this.

Nadal was horrible today.

But Tomic has no weapons? What about his blistering forehand? I saw in Tomic an immature combination of Murray (with his creative pushing and good anticipation skills) and Davydenko (taking the ball on the rise and hitting flat). But he needs more stamina. He doesn't look like he'll last five sets.

And what's the big deal about Nadal sweating? Nadal used to sweat a lot before as well. He sweated his head off playing Murray for the first time in 2007 AO.

Yazoo.C
01-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Rafa :) tough match today but great that he got through and in straight sets. Bernie :hug: very good effort.

Nole fan
01-22-2011, 06:06 PM

But Tomic has no weapons? What about his blistering forehand? I saw in Tomic an immature combination of Murray (with his creative pushing and good anticipation skills) and Davydenko (taking the ball on the rise and hitting flat). But he needs more stamina. He doesn't look like he'll last five sets.

And what's the big deal about Nadal sweating? Nadal used to sweat a lot before as well. He sweated his head off playing Murray for the first time in 2007 AO.

Don't try to argue with the kid. He doesn't know his tennis. :cool:
If you pay attention he will only say the same thing over and over again in every thread, never changing a word. It's like his mantra. He doesn't have any weapons to construct a good tennis discussion.

Fujee
01-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Just watched the highlight reel, looks as if Tomic brought it to Nadal, Rafa looked flat. I expect big things from Tomic.

Mechlan
01-22-2011, 06:33 PM
I like Tomic's game, but his movement needs to improve a LOT if he wants to make it to the top of the game. He's young and has a lot of potential though.

Rafa was a little off today, still more than enough to get the job done.

Roger the Dodger
01-22-2011, 06:40 PM
I like Tomic's game, but his movement needs to improve a LOT if he wants to make it to the top of the game. He's young and has a lot of potential though.

Right. But its amazing how well he covered the court on strength of his anticipation. Bit like Murray there. I was quite impressed by him.

Roger the Dodger
01-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Don't try to argue with the kid. He doesn't know his tennis. :cool:
If you pay attention he will only say the same thing over and over again in every thread, never changing a word. It's like his mantra. He doesn't have any weapons to construct a good tennis discussion.

Yeah, he's a bit to Murray like start da drama is to Nadal.
Thanks for the advice. :)

Nole fan
01-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Right. But its amazing how well he covered the court on strength of his anticipation. Bit like Murray there. I was quite impressed by him.

Exactly. How could he do that moving so little? It's uncanny. :lol:
He also needs more speed on his serve.
He has a lot of room for improvement and he will. But the basic ingredients are there.

Roger the Dodger
01-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Exactly. How could he do that moving so little? It's uncanny. :lol:
He also needs more speed on his serve.
He has a lot of room for improvement and he will. But the basic ingredients are there.

Right you are. Which is why its surprising he's so underrated in this forum. They said he's a slicefest/ WTA mug etc. I saw a lot of variety in this kid.

Nole fan
01-22-2011, 07:04 PM
C Note delivers again at Forty Deuce blog. This is the best portrait of young Tomic I've ever read. :lol:

I'm Going To Like You Someday. But Not Yet. Not Yet. (http://www.cowbell.typepad.com/)

Andy Roddick was asked about Ryan Harrison on Monday and he said something that's stuck with me. "The stuff that makes him annoying now is going to make him really good someday." Those words may apply to Harrison but the quote has popped in my head all week whenever I've heard, read, or seen anything about Bernard Tomic.

There is an arrogance about Tomic that just grates on you. The way he struts around a court, pointing to his towel as if he's too big time to ask for it politely. His sometimes lackadaisical attitude on court that projects to the world that he thinks he can win matches without even trying. And of course there are his comments in the past, whining about having to play a late match on Laver, refusing a practice partner invitation from Lleyton, and even today after the match, saying that he will definitely break through the top 100 this year. The shit just piles up and it absolutely grates. It's been said before and I'll say it again: You just want to punch the kid in the face.

But when he applies that arrogance to his tennis, I can't help but melt. His brand of intelligent, clever, witty tennis is exactly what made me fall in love with Andy Murray (well, and Andy's danshingly handsome mug, obvs). To have the cockiness to think that you can feather a perfect drop shot on Rafa, or cut a slice that looks like a defensive shot, but actually clips the line to set up a winner, that takes a certain mindset. "I'm better than you, I'm smarter than you, and you're never going to see this coming." Sometimes you'll look like an idiot of the highest order, as Bernie did when he pulled the ripcord on a long rally by going for a forehand slice dropper that clipped the tape and caused an entire media room to either laugh or face-palm. But other times you'll be praised as a tennis genius, who deigned see a shot that 99.9% of the tennis world couldn't even imagine existed. That brand of tennis gives me a tennis boner every time.

It wasn't that long ago that Muzz was widely regarded as an arrogant, miserable cock who frustrated opponents, fans, and media with equal skill. The difference is that Andy, over time, realized that he wasn't better or smarter than the other guys. He identified what was keeping him from competing with the top guys and made a concerted effort to get stronger and faster (remember when he debuted his increased fitness by flexing like the Hulk right here in Melbourne Park two years ago?), improved his serve, and added more offense, embracing (even if it's still rather reluctantly) the willingness to hit winners when he had to. But it took time for him to get there and being the arrogant asshole that he is (trust me, it takes one to know one) he had to do it on his own terms and not because someone from the sideline was yelling at him (*cough*BG*cough).

Tomic is talented. There is no doubt about it. To go 62 75 63 on Rafael Nadal (up 4-0 in the second even) is proof of that. He ran Rafa absolutely ragged and instead of trying to junk him to death, which is what he's known for and what he did against Jeremy and Feli in the first two rounds, Tomic stepped up and tried to Moose the guy. He has the ability to hit winners with angles that seem revelatory at times. Just like Andy, what he lacks in pure speed he compensates for in his ability to read the game and anticipate not just the next shot, but the shot after that, and after that, and after that. Whether you like him or not (ok, let's all just say not) you can't take your eyes off him when he plays. I caught myself point after point staring at the TV with a furrowed brow, simply wondering "Jesus, what's he going to do next?" His game is a curiosity and I'm completely hooked.

At some point, the arrogance will have to go. He will have to realize that, despite the oohs and ahhs of the crowd and the wake of broken racquets and despondent glares left in the wake of his dispatched opponents, he's going to have to take some risks and make the leap. He's just too talented not to. That part is up to Bernie and his team. ESPN reported that Tomic probably won't play Davis Cup despite the fact that Rafter wants him on the team and they insinuated that it was because of Tomic's dad. Oh, stage-parents. You're so adorable sometimes.

But the sky's the limit with the kid and he very firmly placed himself in the conversation alongside Ricardas Berankis, Milos Raonic, and Grigor Dimitrov as the next class of potential tennis greats. But it's a long time off and it'll be interesting to see how Bernie & Co. handle his career going forward. As Rafa said, when asked what advice he would give Tomic, "I can only tell him what I did. Work." You heard him, Bernie. Get faster, get stronger, get fitter.

Oh, and maybe eat some Humble Pie Quelys. That's a thing, right?

Roger the Dodger
01-22-2011, 07:14 PM
'Work.'

That says it all. Nadal sometimes... :yeah:

FormerRafaFan
01-22-2011, 08:34 PM

The sweat seems to be bothering him more this year. I blame that idiotic Nike shirt. That is the most awful shirt I've ever seen on a top tennis player. What's the point if it doesn't evaporate the sweat like it's supposed to? And secondly, i think he's struggling a bit more with his stamina because he still has a hint of that virus in the body, and it's obviously affecting him.

FairWeatherFan
01-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Tomic showed that he has the ability to take the time away from Nadal and that is the key to beating him on a hard court. You can see elements of Murray, Davydenko and even Mecir in Tomic's game - interesting player.

As for Mugboar, he will improve as the tournament goes on.

rafa_maniac
01-22-2011, 09:29 PM
24 consecutive Grand Slam match wins :cool:

Nole fan
01-22-2011, 09:31 PM
The sweat seems to be bothering him more this year. I blame that idiotic Nike shirt. That is the most awful shirt I've ever seen on a top tennis player. What's the point if it doesn't evaporate the sweat like it's supposed to? And secondly, i think he's struggling a bit more with his stamina because he still has a hint of that virus in the body, and it's obviously affecting him.

He's still dealing with the after effects of the bug. That's the reason he still feels weak, tired and sweating more than usual. He will be crushed by either Murray or Sod in those conditions. :o

Chartreuse
01-22-2011, 09:45 PM
He shouldn't have played doha. Resting with the virus would have been wiser. Plus he played doubles too.

fast_clay
01-22-2011, 09:57 PM
yes... he will be crushed

star
01-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Right you are. Which is why its surprising he's so underrated in this forum. They said he's a slicefest/ WTA mug etc. I saw a lot of variety in this kid.

Well, to be fair, posters on this board say the world's number one player is a talentless mug, and regularly dish out insults to all of the top ten players, so those just might be words of high praise. ;)

@Sweet Cleopatra
01-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Rafa is very humble and he didn't want to beat the Australian player 61 61 61 in his home plus he wants people to really watch a tennis match. They deserve that after watching Venus playing one game in a night match.

Good luck Rafa next rounds.

FlameOn
01-22-2011, 11:06 PM
24 consecutive Grand Slam match wins :cool:

:worship: Too good.

Anyway, boring match but NID. :yeah:

malisha
01-23-2011, 01:55 AM
Tomic is too cocky for my taste

still a kid though

Corey Feldman
01-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Nadal sweating his way through all these #150th ranked opponents

Corey Feldman
01-23-2011, 02:22 AM
Nice treatment of the Aussies fans by Nadal saying he wanted to destroy that kid, nice.

malisha
01-23-2011, 02:25 AM
Nadal sweating his way through all these #150th ranked opponents

:inlove:

The Magician
01-23-2011, 04:27 AM
This is what's so frustrating about Nadull's draws. It's not like he breezes his way through all competition, he needs mug opponents and challenger level players or else he would lose. Without his clown draws he simply would not be holding 3/4 slams and would probably be out of the AO, and unless you think Tony is fixing the draws it's just great luck. If I wanted to see luck decide the champion I'd watch poker. But that's what tennis has become, nothing you can do but complain about the pathetic performances the world #1 gets away with in a grand slam.