Thai Duck? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Thai Duck?

Pages : [1] 2

Deboogle!.
09-25-2004, 03:56 PM
Well is Andy gonna show up?

He drew a qualifier. His draw would be pretty easy til the SF - Marat.

Golfnduck
09-25-2004, 06:38 PM
I think he will show up. He needs to secure 2nd place because Hewitt isn't that far behind him.

Deboogle!.
09-25-2004, 07:09 PM
he has to like win this tournament to get any points. or at least make the finals. He's not going there for point$, I'm $ure about that ;)

Nishy
09-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Thai Duck? I like this thread title.

According to AR.com, Andy will not play his first round match until Wednesday evening. He can take a rest.

superpinkone37
09-25-2004, 08:21 PM
yeah i think (or at least i hope!) that andy will play this tourney, and as he wont have to play till wednesday night at least he will have a few extra days. btw, i like the title :)

Deboogle!.
09-25-2004, 08:22 PM
the title was the first thing that came to my mind, if anyone has anything better please share :)

Havok
09-25-2004, 09:17 PM
He'll play this event because Andy likes to play tournaments one after another. He doesn't like to take a week break, then play a tournament. He would rather play consecutive weeks of tennis, then take a week off. He's had a week off after the USO, now with the Davis Cup as prep he'll go to Thailand, play here, then I think it's a week off and we start with the TMS Madrid. I think I have it right.:retard:

Deboogle!.
09-25-2004, 09:18 PM
I think it's 2 weeks in between Thailand and Madrid, he's doing a couple of charity appearances in the states with Andre the week before Madrid :rolleyes:

Havok
09-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Oh yeah. Well doing some exhibitions is even more practice than just training, and it doesn't get any better than to do some sparring with Agassi.;)

Deboogle!.
09-25-2004, 09:21 PM
yea, as long as he gets to Madrid in plenty of time and doesn't choke like a :retard: like he did last year.

the Thailand Open is indoors, btw, I was wrong.

Havok
09-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Yes, that choke at 5-3 vs Massu was beyond pathetic, though credit to MAssu he went all the way to the finals.;)

superpinkone37
09-25-2004, 09:33 PM
Oh yeah. Well doing some exhibitions is even more practice than just training, and it doesn't get any better than to do some sparring with Agassi.;)

isnt there some exhibition or something with andy and andre in october in irvine? i heard about that earlier this summer and i forgot about it till now. i really wanted to go to that, and its really near by, for you too Deb :) ;) im gonna look it up later today, cuz its coming up....have any of you heard about this too?

Deboogle!.
09-25-2004, 09:35 PM
yea I've heard about it. It's on Andy's site on his schedule. But it's on a Monday night, I can't justify going :(

J. Corwin
09-25-2004, 09:36 PM
I really hope Andy doesn't scrap this one like he scrapped a couple last fall? Don't show up just for the new appearance fees. ;) Another title is "long due". :p

Deboogle!.
09-25-2004, 09:40 PM
well last fall he had a "hamstring injury" and pulled out of this and Tokyo... I see no reason to believe he has any injuries this year, so if he were to pull out now, after the draw was made, well that would just be really poor. But based on the travel distance and jet-lag I can't see him doing THAT well. That said, the top 3 seeds all have pretty easy draws til the semis.

superpinkone37
09-25-2004, 09:44 PM
well i hope he goes. if he doesnt thats really stupid of him to wait this long to pull out.
regarding the irvine exhibition, where should i look to buy tickets? i found the site earlier when i had first heard about it, but now i gotta find it again...

Deboogle!.
09-25-2004, 09:47 PM
I dunno Danielle, check AR.com on Andy's schedule page, there might be a link there.

Here's a part of an article from the Thailand paper... Andy HAS to show up now lmfao. Btw, it also said that Moya's appearance fee was $100,000 so you can assume Andy's is more than that. I'd fly to Thailand for that kind of money too ;)
----------

Despite standing fans up last year with a last minute withdrawal, Roddick, who lost his top ranking to his great Swiss rival, hasn’t lost popularity in the Kingdom, especially among girls.

Regarded as one of the better looking players on the tour and having rather unique on-court characteristics, he rates second only to Federer as a main attraction.

The 2003 US Open winner yesterday recorded the fastest serve ever at 249kph in the Davis Cup tie against Belarus, eclipsing his 239.7kph serve at the Queen’s Club in June in a match against Paradorn. When Roddick serves, don’t blink or you will miss it.

heya
09-25-2004, 10:33 PM
I thought safin was in his quarter.:rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
09-25-2004, 10:35 PM
nope Safin is the #3 seed so he's in his half but not his quarter :)

Iheartandy&roger
09-26-2004, 01:29 AM
Andy will hopefully show up an open just isnt the same without Andy... lol

Deboogle!.
09-26-2004, 04:02 PM
well based on what PMac said, Andy will be in Thailand... good boy!

superpinkone37
09-26-2004, 04:50 PM
really? good. :)
btw when did pmac say that? did i miss something? lol

edit: nevermind about that. but im glad andy is gonna go

Golfnduck
09-26-2004, 07:21 PM
I really hope he goes. He needs the points for the champions race and I believe that he can win this title. Safin is a :timebomb:

Deboogle!.
09-26-2004, 07:39 PM
the thing is, Andy has to make the final to pick up ANY points and even if he makes the final he gets 9 points which is almost meaningless. Even if he wins, he only picks up 20 points.... So the only point of going is to 1) get paid a huge appearance fee, 2) travel to a new place 3) maybe try to win a title against a pretty strong field 4) get acquainted with the indoor surface/conditions.... but not points, even Roger can pick up more points than Andy (a big 3 lmfao)

superpinkone37
09-26-2004, 08:33 PM
well right now the points dont matter too much as we all know theres no way of catching up to fed any time soon. this should just be a time to get in some good matches, and if he wins the tourney or even ggets to the final then great, but if he doesnt, at least we know he made some effort :)

Jennay
09-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Well Danielle, Andy is trying to keep his #2 position. If Hewitt overtakes him he'll be in trouble with draws with Roger in them. Any points he can get will help keep his lead :)

superpinkone37
09-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Well Danielle, Andy is trying to keep his #2 position. If Hewitt overtakes him he'll be in trouble with draws with Roger in them. Any points he can get will help keep his lead :)

i know what youre saying, but i dont think the points dont really matter for this particular tourney. at least hewitt is not in this one so that takes off a little bit of pressure i would think. at least for me--i mean i want him to do well--but i dont really care about the point this week. i just hope he can get in some good matches so he will be ready for the rest of the indoor season. :)

andyroxmysox12191
09-26-2004, 11:19 PM
just to pop in quickly so i can go back into watching The Mountain.....he better go this year :)

Deboogle!.
09-27-2004, 03:03 AM
yea well, he better be on a nice comfy plane on the way to Bangkok by now :p

andyroxmysox12191
09-27-2004, 03:12 AM
i'd love to be on a nice comfy plane on the way to anywhere where i'd like it right now....stupid school and waking up at stupid 6:15 in the morning :ras:

Deboogle!.
09-27-2004, 06:00 AM
so according to jirobkk, posting on this tourney forum, Andy is not supposed to arrive in Bangkok until like 11pm TUESDAY night.... then he has to play Wednesday evening... but because (s)he provided the flight # we can actually look it up and see why (don't ask me how his flight number got publicized, I have NO CLUE lmfao).... it stops in San Fran, presumably to pick up Brad....but.... uh..... does he expect to do well at this tournament getting there so late? Why didn't he leave tonight? :scratch: but man, leaving Washington DC at 6:50 am on Monday morning and not arriving to Thailand until almost 11pm Tuesday night.... that's a hell of a damn long trip. I hope he's getting paid well ;) I don't see how Andy will possibly do well at this tourney, no fault of his but without even one day off there to get used to the huge time change, it just seems unlikely. Unless he's one of those wackos who gets NO jetlag, that is ;) But considering all the other contenders are there already and have been in some cases for days... yeah...

Well Mani, at least you know that someone has to be up earlier than you :haha:

Toppu
09-27-2004, 06:13 AM
We have the opening ceremony around 7 pm Tuesday, so the organizers just want him to show up there with Paradorn, Rogi and Marat as Carlos Moya withdrew.

Deboogle!.
09-27-2004, 06:13 AM
he can't possibly be there.... according to jirobkk his flight won't land until 10:50 pm Tuesday night....what I don't understand is why he didn't leave tonight. Then again, while I'm sure there are tons of flights from DC to SFO, there probably aren't tons from SFO to Tokyo to Bangkok, maybe they didn't have much choice.

superpinkone37
09-27-2004, 07:34 AM
wow thats a long trip. he must be used to jetlag and all that with travelling so much but still. that is a long trip, and he will have to get used to the time difference and practice, totally switching from hardcourts to carpet, all in one day. well, we will see how he does. and say he does lose early-- well then he will have lots of time to practice for the next tourney :)

heya
09-27-2004, 09:31 AM
He's exhausted just from SERVING! Nobody tells him that?
How's he going to survive long matches anymore with no return game?
Being ill & boring fans with bad efforts--that's not him being caring.
What a contrast from his play in Aus Open '03!
He served much slower, but that was why he got better.
He can't run as fast as before & can't volley with 140 mph serves. :tears:

I tell ya, he's gotten very arrogant, stubborn & belligerent.
I don't think I'll support him as much others who are more motivated.
He's just satisfied with being a shadow of himself.
I can't believe the commentators were so happy with his efforts all year.
Senile Drysdale said "Andy's great with the best serve of all time!
Andy would be nothing without his serve. Fed, without his serve, would still beat everyone else."
Of course, with low expectations, every bad performance is great.:rolleyes::smash:

Golfnduck
09-27-2004, 06:03 PM
he can't possibly be there.... according to jirobkk his flight won't land until 10:50 pm Tuesday night....what I don't understand is why he didn't leave tonight. Then again, while I'm sure there are tons of flights from DC to SFO, there probably aren't tons from SFO to Tokyo to Bangkok, maybe they didn't have much choice.
This is assuming the jirobkk has valid information. I wouldn't even know where to start to look to find Andy's flight information. But you never know what you can find on the internet.

MissPovaFan
09-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Roddick is now due to face lucky loser Arvind Parmar in the First Round at Bangkok after Todd Reid withdraws.

Deboogle!.
09-27-2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks Paul, I was just going to say that :)

I know Jenny, but several articles have said that Andy won't arrive til Tuesday night... so it seems like that is the case. And because of that I don't expect Andy to do all that terribly well at the tourney. But that's ok :)

Havok
09-27-2004, 09:30 PM
He faces crap ass opponents early on. If Andy can't beat them regardless of jet-lag and stuff, he's got some serious work to do.:retard:

Neely
09-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Thai Duck?! :drool: ... :lol: good thread title, once again! :D :clap2: :lol:

andyroxmysox12191
09-28-2004, 12:09 AM
toppu....i STILL keep thinking that your sig forms some type of word :retard: shows how smart i am :)

Neely
09-28-2004, 12:44 AM
toppu....i STILL keep thinking that your sig forms some type of word :retard: shows how smart i am :)
And I am still trying to understand the post-match interview sentence in your signature :sad:

Deboogle!.
09-28-2004, 01:08 AM
Naldo, I agree :) But once he gets to someone like Marat or Federer, I would not expect him to win.

Glad you like the thread title, Neely, it was just the first thing that came to mind and no one suggested anything else ;)

Deboogle!.
09-28-2004, 01:43 AM
LOL!!!!! Here's a site for you

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Deboogle!.
09-28-2004, 01:49 AM
I read somewhere that there is not :sad: :tears: Luckily, Thailand and Shanghai go on pretty much overnight here... not sure about Sicily tho

andyroxmysox12191
09-28-2004, 02:22 AM
aawww neely :hug:
You know Gardner? I think his first name is Rulon but after knowing me you guys do know that i dont remember things well. lol. He was the wrestler at the olympic games and he came in third place or something and was retiring after this olympic game. So after Rulon (please let the name be right lol) finished his last match, he took off his shoes and put them in the middle of the floor as a sign of saying it was his last match or something (i dont do details unless if i know the story firsthand so if i mess up im sorry! lol). Rulon was there during one of Andy's matches at the US Open and I think he was at his press conference. So Andy, being the jokester that he is, took off his flip flops and did what Rulon did at the Olympics and said it was his last press conference.....hope i explained this right *stresses out* lol

Deboogle!.
09-28-2004, 02:28 AM
Mani I would say that's quite a good explanation :) Apparently it is wrestling tradition for after your last time, you put your shoes in the center of the ring. When Rulon Gardner did it, he was crying, I was crying... it was very emotional, he seems like a wonderful human being. And yea over in Athens he and Andy became friendly so he came to see Andy's match against Nadal I think it was and the rest is what Mani said :)

Amanda let's see.. it's just before 9:30 in Shanghai and play starts at 11, so yea, an hour and a half from now.

It's currently just before 8:30am in Bangkok and play startst there at noon so yes, three and a half hours from now.

Gold star for Amanda ;)

Havok
09-28-2004, 02:32 AM
If Andy meets up with Marat in the semis, I expect him to win I don't care what the circumstances.

Deboogle!.
09-28-2004, 02:51 AM
LMGDFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i'm usually the one that's so tough on him!! :haha: Well then yes sir, hopefully Andy knows about your pronouncement ;)

Golfnduck
09-28-2004, 03:02 AM
If Andy meets up with Marat in the semis, I expect him to win I don't care what the circumstances.
I expect him to win the whole damn tournament. There's no reason why he shouldn't. He's good enough to win any tournament he enters (maybe not on clay though)

Jennay
09-28-2004, 03:04 AM
:yeah:

andyroxmysox12191
09-28-2004, 03:07 AM
yay go me :banana:
yay go nAldo :banana:
wow i am really on drugs.....

tangerine_dream
09-28-2004, 03:24 AM

Right on, Naldo :yeah: Marat is tough and he may be rejuvenated after winning the China open but Andy can get past him, providing he doesn't get lazy and allow Marat to play his little games like he did at AO. :o

star
09-28-2004, 04:01 AM
If Marat wants to do something, there's no stopping him. :)

Andy needs not to let it into his brain.

Deboogle!.
09-28-2004, 04:09 AM
Bangkok Preview
by: Kate Flory

9/27/2004 --

Asia is on the fast track toward the top of world in sports, especially tennis. From the selection of Bejing, China to host the 2008 Olympics to their first Formula One Race, it is clear that China has taken the lead to show the world that Asian sports are here to stay. The 2004 Olympic results speak for themselves. China finished in second place to the USA with total medals won by a single country. Japan also put in a strong showing in Athens with 16 total medals. In tennis, the paring of Li and Sun won the gold medal in ladies doubles and the Asian men made great strides in Greece and look forward to this weeks ATP event in Thailand.

It is, in fact, Bangkok, that we turn our attention to this week. Andy, fresh from strong 2004 results, competes for his first Asian ATP Title. In just its second year as a destination for professional tennis, Bangkok has drawn the top two players in the world, Andy and Roger Federer. They will be joined by home favorite, Paradorn Srichaphan, as well as Marat Safin and defending champion, Taylor Dent.

After Lleyton Hewitt established his intentions last week of taking Roddick’s number two ranking away from him by the end of the year, Andy will be looking to lengthen the gap currently between them.

Due to the withdrawal of young Aussie Todd Reid, Andy will face lucky loser, Arvind Parmer of Great Britain. Parmer has had a reasonably good summer on the Challenger circuits, although his best tennis is usually played on the grass of England. Although he has a good serve, it is not in the same league as Roddick’s, who just this weekend broke the fastest serving record (which he already held), by hitting a serve of 155mph. Parmer’s serve may hold out for a while, but Andy’s improved returns should find their mark to significantly influence the match. In keeping with the traditional British way, Parmer is a serve volleyer but his backhand volley lacks punch and Andy should be able to find the necessary passes. Andy will have to be wary on his own serve, especially at the beginning of the match, but will likely emerge the victor.

Andy is not likely to be tested until he reaches the quarter final where his probable opponent will be Thomas Johansson. Lurking in the other half of the draw, is number one in the world, Roger Federer.

With to wins at Davis Cup last week and a successful summer, Andy looks ready to compete. A Wednesday start, and a new Asian atmosphere, gives an edge to Andy to capture his first Thailand Championship and intensify the Roddick/Federer rivalry to be number 1 in the world!

Check frequently at andyroddick.com for the latest news…

superpinkone37
09-28-2004, 04:22 AM

:yeah: yeah. and i know marat may be feeling particularly good after just winning a tourney, but we all know how quickly marat can change. andy should be able to beat him, that is if he makes it that far (and he better!! ;) )

heya
09-28-2004, 01:14 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Roger Federer (SUI)
Nicolas Thomann (FRA)

Attila Savolt (HUN)
Ivo Heuberger (SUI)

Paul Baccanello (AUS)

8 Harel Levy (ISR)
Robin Soderling (SWE)

Paradorn Srichaphan (THA)
Marco Chiudinelli (SUI)

Alex Bogomolov (USA)

Dennis van Scheppingen (NED)

Taylor Dent (USA)

Igor Andreev (RUS)
Qualifier Qualifier (AFG)

Flavio Saretta (BRA)

Danai Udomchoke (THA)
Jiri Vanek (CZE)

3 Noam Okun (ISR)
Marat Safin (RUS)

6 Thomas Johansson (SWE)

Qualifier Qualifier (DZA)
Adrian Garcia (CHI)

Jeff Morrison

Parmar
Andy Roddick

elusive
09-28-2004, 01:23 PM
i like the thread title! :)

anyway grumbles grumbles because if not for my exams i would go on a comfy flight to bankok to watch the open. considering now here they are selling plane tickets to and back from thailand at 29 cents!! blast it.

Neely
09-28-2004, 01:30 PM
aawww neely :hug:
You know Gardner? I think his first name is Rulon but after knowing me you guys do know that i dont remember things well. lol. He was the wrestler at the olympic games and he came in third place or something and was retiring after this olympic game. So after Rulon (please let the name be right lol) finished his last match, he took off his shoes and put them in the middle of the floor as a sign of saying it was his last match or something (i dont do details unless if i know the story firsthand so if i mess up im sorry! lol). Rulon was there during one of Andy's matches at the US Open and I think he was at his press conference. So Andy, being the jokester that he is, took off his flip flops and did what Rulon did at the Olympics and said it was his last press conference.....hope i explained this right *stresses out* lol
Thanks a lot, Mani :kiss: :)
that was really a high quality explanation and now I understand what's the background behind that stentence in your signature is. I couldn't understand the sense of it and I also didn't know who this Gardner was... :)

so Garnder and Andy are know each other or are even friends? Or was it just coincidence that Gardner was at Andy's match and that Andy knew that Gardner did that joke with his shoes at the Olympics before?

star
09-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Andy and Rulon Gardner met each other at the Athens Olympics. Did you see that picture someone posted of Rulon lifting Andy up off his feet in a big hug in Athens.

The story about Rulon leaving his shoes inside the circle on the wrestling mat was pretty well publized in the U.S. and was a very touching moment since Rulon had to come back from very big odds (he had an incident where he had an accident or somehow was stranded on a snowmobile and lost a couple of toes from frostbite), and then he made that gesture to show that he had retired for good from wrestling.

So, Andy took that whole thing and made a little joke out of it.

Was Rulon actually there watching the press conference when Andy did that? I have that vague memory but the U.S. Open is sort of a blur to me now. :)

star
09-28-2004, 01:52 PM
i like the thread title! :)

anyway grumbles grumbles because if not for my exams i would go on a comfy flight to bankok to watch the open. considering now here they are selling plane tickets to and back from thailand at 29 cents!! blast it.

29 CENTS!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

heya
09-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Michael Phelps, Paul Hamm & Rulon were more interesting than the U.S. tennis players. Phelps swam everyday & won gold & bronze medals.
Hamm was brave when he was asked to get rid of his gold medal & was forced to
fight in court to keep it. Rulon could've had a gold if he hadn't had the accident.

Rulon cheered for Andy in Athens & USO, but Andy was disgraceful. How sad.
He couldn't take his off-court smarts into his matches. :smash:

Deboogle!.
09-28-2004, 03:42 PM
star, I think like the articles after Andy's match said he was in the press conference so that he and andy could talk after, or something like that :)

what's wrong with Andy's draw, heya? lol

Andy's the last match on tomorrow, after Paradorn and play starts at 7pm local time (they're 11 hours ahead of US eastern). He'll play Jeff Morrison if he wins. I imagine they know each other but I don't know much about him except that he has a big serve too lol

Kathy
09-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Are the reference's to Andy and ducks because of how his butt looks when he serves? Just curious. Thanks.

RodFan08
09-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Are the reference's to Andy and ducks because of how his butt looks when he serves? Just curious. Thanks.

I never really knew either, but I assumed it was because of his nose and mouth look, but I'm not sure. He doesn't really woddle, haha.

Winston's Human
09-28-2004, 07:07 PM
so according to jirobkk, posting on this tourney forum, Andy is not supposed to arrive in Bangkok until like 11pm TUESDAY night.... then he has to play Wednesday evening... but because (s)he provided the flight # we can actually look it up and see why (don't ask me how his flight number got publicized, I have NO CLUE lmfao).... it stops in San Fran, presumably to pick up Brad....but.... uh..... does he expect to do well at this tournament getting there so late? Why didn't he leave tonight? :scratch: but man, leaving Washington DC at 6:50 am on Monday morning and not arriving to Thailand until almost 11pm Tuesday night.... that's a hell of a damn long trip. I hope he's getting paid well ;) I don't see how Andy will possibly do well at this tourney, no fault of his but without even one day off there to get used to the huge time change, it just seems unlikely. Unless he's one of those wackos who gets NO jetlag, that is ;) But considering all the other contenders are there already and have been in some cases for days... yeah...

Well Mani, at least you know that someone has to be up earlier than you :haha:

Having flown to Asia this spring, there just are not that many flights each day. Assuming that he is traveling through Hong Kong, he would have to change flights in Los Angeles or San Francisco (although United has a direct Chicago - Hong Kong flight).

Golfnduck
09-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know of a live scoreboard that I can go to for the Thailand Open?

Deboogle!.
09-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Jenny the best place for scores is the forum here at MTF, some people have it on tv and are nice enough to give the scores. Otherwise go to the tourney site and they update periodically throughout matches.

heya
09-29-2004, 12:17 AM
You know Andy.... scores don't matter to him when he plays in the autumn.
I'll be waiting for the awakening in January.
Then, Dr. Gilbert will permit him to spend more than 1 day on European clay.
He probably will defeat a top 5 player in 2005.
By 2012, he'll get lucky & win 1 more slam.

surfpinky
09-29-2004, 01:51 AM
ok, you guys might think I'm dumb, but why wouldn't he get many points? :confused:

Deboogle!.
09-29-2004, 01:55 AM
the tournament is only worth 35 champions race points anyway.

It's an optional event so only the 5 best tournaments count. Andy already has 15 points as his 5th best in his current poin total so anything he picks up in Thailand would replace that so he would only get the difference.

surfpinky
09-29-2004, 01:58 AM
oh, thanks bunk :)

star
09-29-2004, 01:32 PM
I'm not finding any scores. :(

I can't even get into the website. I'm thinking Paradorn must be playing now. But, I'm not quite sure about that.

ataptc
09-29-2004, 01:35 PM

yeah exactly! if only.. but then now the 29cents offer has ended anyways.. hehe

ataptc
09-29-2004, 01:52 PM
i dont see why he wont make it to the semis too.. then i'll be able to watch his semis match on tv :) coverage here doesnt start till the semis..

Deboogle!.
09-29-2004, 03:38 PM
star, here is where the scores are http://www.thailandopen.net/draws/draws_en.php but they update very sporadically.

star
09-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Yeah. Thanks. That's where I've been looking.

Deboogle!.
09-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Andy's leading 6-1 5-4 (had just been 5-3 so he must have a break) :D

Deboogle!.
09-29-2004, 04:05 PM
anndddddddd I spoke too soon, 6-1 6-4 :yeah:

Next up Jeff Morrison

Winston's Human
09-29-2004, 04:06 PM
I am glad to see Andy step up and not make this first match too interesting.

zoltan83
09-29-2004, 04:08 PM
anndddddddd I spoke too soon, 6-1 6-4 :yeah:

Next up Jeff Morrison

Nice.... An easy victory.
His second match will be not complicated too. :)

Deboogle!.
09-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Hi Winston's Human, nice to see you posting here!

Based on the posts in the tourney scores thread, Andy had to have won in about an hour.

He plays Jeff tomorrow at 7 local time (that's 8am Eastern I beileve)

tangerine_dream
09-29-2004, 04:16 PM
See bunk? And you were worried that he'd lose 'cause he got into Bangkok so late. ;)

Deboogle!.
09-29-2004, 04:21 PM
I never said I thought he'd lose to Parmar lol but I think the jet-lag and no rest will catch up to, and hurt, him if he plays a much better player like Safin or Roger

btw I'm drinking tangerine/orange juice with my cheerios and I thought of you:p

star
09-29-2004, 05:27 PM
I thought you did say you thought Andy might lose because of arriving so late.
:confused:

OK.... You can't think of cut up squirrel without gagging, but you can drink tangerine/orange juice with cherrios?????? That's a disgusting combination.

tangerine_dream
09-29-2004, 05:58 PM
I never said I thought he'd lose to Parmar lol but I think the jet-lag and no rest will catch up to, and hurt, him if he plays a much better player like Safin or Roger

Silly goose, you just said so in the tourney thread :p : "He's not arriving until very late Tuesday night.... I hope no one expects him to win his match" :o

btw I'm drinking tangerine/orange juice with my cheerios and I thought of you:p

Aww, how sweet :hug: But orange juice with cereal is kinda gross. ;)

Ever drink orange juice right after brushing your teeth? That's nasty.

Deboogle!.
09-29-2004, 05:59 PM
I didnt put the cheerios IN the juice! I had a glass of juice with my bowl of cereal :) and no tangy, I brush my teeth after breakfast :)

I never said I thought he'd lost 1st round. I still don't think he'll win the tourney, esp. since it sounds like he played really badly....I was kidding in the tourney thread, silly tangygoose;)

but he looked great :)

YAY my name finally got changed!
==========
Roddick eases through in Thailand

By Barry Wood

(Reuters) - Andy Roddick eased into the second round of the Thailand Open on Wednesday, winning 6-1 6-4 without remotely approaching top form.

There was little to impress a crowd of nearly 10,000 as he defeated Arvind Parmar of Britain, an opponent who lost in the qualifying rounds but was given a place in the main draw following an injury withdrawal.

The American's serve was in good order, which was fortunate in light of his erratic play in any rallies that developed.

Seven of his 11 aces came in the first set, but Parmar more than held his own in the second. He fired five aces and held a break point to lead 4-2, which Roddick saved in spectacular fashion with an airborne smash.

"It's a good thing if your game is in and out and you win one and four," said Roddick, who arrived in Bangkok from his Davis Cup duties in America just 24 hours before his match.

"The first set went pretty routine. The second set it was closer, but in two of the service games that he held I think I had break points. I'm just happy to get through."

Golfnduck
09-29-2004, 06:00 PM
WAY TO GO ANDY!!!! From the looks of it, the match was easy. Under an hour, which is always good.

tangerine_dream
09-29-2004, 06:04 PM
Why is Andy suddenly wearing his hat backwards during a match? It's like watching the 2001 version of Andy all over again. :scared:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20040929/capt.sge.nve51.290904164418.photo00.default-378x256.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040929/capt.xbk10909291628.thailand_open_tennis_xbk109.jp g

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040929/i/r3810152098.jpg

Deboogle!.
09-29-2004, 06:09 PM
b/c it's indoors and he doesn't really need the hat? All I know is that I LOVE IT!!!! It feels like retro!! I'm not usually into the backwards hat thing but it just makes me feel good for some reason :)

Nishy
09-29-2004, 06:24 PM
b/c it's indoors and he doesn't really need the hat? All I know is that I LOVE IT!!!! It feels like retro!! I'm not usually into the backwards hat thing but it just makes me feel good for some reason :)
Very plain looking. But I like him wearing backwards hat. Somehow it makes me feel good too.

Deboogle!.
09-29-2004, 06:39 PM
:D

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040929/i/r2032896061.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040929/capt.xbk10609291631.thailand_open_tennis_xbk106.jp g

There are lots of pics at Getty too :)

J. Corwin
09-29-2004, 06:49 PM
I read that Andy also called for the trainer during a changeover? (it's in the Thailand Wednesday scoring thread). Anyone know about this?

Deboogle!.
09-29-2004, 06:52 PM
eek :eek:

I dunno ... it hasn't mentioned it in any of the articles, but they haven't been that specific at all really.. I think the match was showed delayed in Thailand.

This is what Prodigy said in the tourney thread

Agree, Parmar had 3 break points in the 1st set while trailing 0-4 but couldn't convert all of them. He fought back in 2nd set well but failed to convert another break-point opportunity.

Commentator informed us that Andy has a bit of health problem, he called trainer during a changeover. Get well soon, Andy.

Deboogle!.
09-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Looks like it was just smelling salts to help him stay alert LMFAO

btw, Andy is 1-0 against Morrison, in easy straights at 2003 Houston
--------

Roddick rolls over jet-lag to bounce Brit in Bangkok

BANGKOK (AFP) - A jet-lagged Andy Roddick made a successful debut night in Bangkok, defeating Briton Arvind Parmar 6-1, 6-4 to advance into the second round of the 550,000-dollar Thailand Open.

Roddick, who arrived less than 24 hours earlier from the United States after a Davis Cup semi-final win, is competing for only the second time in Asia following a Hong Kong event three years ago.

The second seed was to have played in the debut edition here in 2003, but pulled out, via fax, citing injury. Anything less than a full effort a year later would have reflected badly with organisers and fans.

But Roddick, who has won four titles this year, didn't disappoint on his second try as he took the first step on what is seeded as a showdown at the weekend with top seed and runaway world number one Roger Federer.

Roddick raced away with the first set against Parmar but had to slog through the second for victory as the number 179 made a match of it before a Roddick break in the seventh game sealed the margin.

Roddick next plays compatriot Jeff Morrison.

"It's a good thing the serve was working, it's good to win one and four on just a couple of hours of sleep," said Roddick, who took a sniff of smelling salts on court to jolt himself into action at one point.

"The first set was pretty routine but in the second, and in two of his service games in the second, I had break points. But I'm just happy to get through."

ataptc
09-29-2004, 07:24 PM
sounds like he didnt really play that well, but how can he on like only a couple of hours of sleep? anyways i like him wearing the cap backwards.. it sort of gives him a playful look lol :p

Deboogle!.
09-29-2004, 08:34 PM
wow it sounds like Andy played absoulutely shittastically LMFAO
--------
Roddick Routs Parmar

By Alberto Amalfi
09/28/2004

Jet lag wasn't enough to keep Andy Roddick from soaring into the second round of the Heineken Open today. Less than 24 hours after his arrival in Bangkok, the second-seeded Roddick pounded Arvind Parmar, 6-1, 6-4, to reach the second round.

Roddick, who led the United States to its Davis Cup semifinal sweep over the weekend, suffered from sporadic shot making in baseline rallies and compensated for the inconsistency by limiting service points to one shot: his serve. Slamming seven aces in the first set, Roddick rolled to a one-set lead.

In the second set, lucky loser Parmar earned a break point that would have given him a 4-2 lead, but Roddick emphatically erased it with an explosive, leaping overhead winner. Roddick hit a sharp-angled forehand volley to close out the match in less than an hour and set up a second-round meeting with compatriot Jeff Morrison. (sharp angled volley?? Me like :yeah: )

Jennay
09-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Good job Andy :yeah: Lets hope he went to sleep right after his match :)

Deboogle!.
09-29-2004, 09:35 PM
from the ATP Media quotes:

Roddick: “The first set was routine and the second was closer. I had break points throughout the second (set) but I'm just happy to get through. I got in late last night so I had smelling salts (at 2-3 in the 2nd set) to wake me up due to the time zone changes. Hopefully I win tomorrow. Jeff serves big and so do I, so we'll see how it goes.”

(How do you feel with a 10,000 crowd watching you for a first round match?) “Its amazing, and Paradorn deserves all the credit for it!”

============

They also say he's going for his 14th QF of the year :eek:

andyroxmysox12191
09-29-2004, 10:41 PM
:banana: nice job andy :) his next match is tomorrow? 8am est? im gonna be at school lol.
and deb...how'd you change your name? i have to get used to it now :lol:

Iheartandy&roger
09-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Well he showed up! :) and what an entrance I might add... lmfao! GO ANDY!

Golfnduck
09-30-2004, 12:40 AM
GREAT JOB ANDY!!! :yeah: Now he if can bagel Morrison, he'll be in great shape for the rest of the week. Deb, I really like your avatar!!! :cool:

superpinkone37
09-30-2004, 12:58 AM
wow deb you changed ur name, i like it though :yeah: well im glad andy got through pretty easily, despite the jet lag and all that. i had heard he had called a trainer and then i was all worried until i found out it was just smelling salts to keep him alert. big relief for me:D sounds like he didnt play all that well, but what matters is that he got through. normally i wouldnt say that but im giving him a break today cuz of all the travelling and all that :)

whats with the backwards hat and all that though? im not saying i dont like it, its just ....... so two years ago ;) anyways, what is with the stupid drawstring always hanging out of his shorts recently? it was bugging me last weekend during DC and now its still there....lol, its just kinda funny to me i guess :lol:

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 01:23 AM
Morrison could be tough. He's another big server. He's 1-3 against top 10 players (he beat Ferrero at some point) and Andy has beaten him, on clay no less, but indoor courts help Andy's serve but also Morrison's... so it could be really tough. Hopefully Andy got a good night's sleep and that was all he needed to feel better. I'm glad he wasn't injured, too, but playing while that tired is a great way to GET injured so hopefully he can just sleep well and just feel better tomorrow and play better because it sounds like he really just played horrifically today lol

star
09-30-2004, 01:31 AM
Ohhhh I like this outfit. Andy looks much better in shirts with collars.

And Morrison? I really like Morrison, but if Andy plays even at 75% he should beat Morrison. If it's a tough match, something would have to be wrong with Andy.

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 01:37 AM
I don't know anything about him, except that he's a big server... why do you like him? :)

Yes, Andy should be able to beat him. Anyone Andy can take out 6-3 6-1 on clay shouldn't really be that big a problem for him. On a fast indoor surface they might have a tiebreak I suppose but Andy's experience there should carry him through. Would depend on how Morrison plays, too, of course.

But the fact that he was so out of it that he had to take smelling salts during the second set is just a bit worrisome ;) I mean it sounds like if he didn't serve well he would've lost the match. Some of the articles made it sound like he couldn't get a ball in the court otherwise LOL! So hopefully a good night sleep will do the trick:)

tangerine_dream
09-30-2004, 01:55 AM
:yawn: What a boring outfit. :zzz: What is this, Wimbledon? Bring back the paisley camoflauge. :)

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 02:02 AM
I think he looks cute. It reminds me of a couple years ago. I agree the colors could be a tad more inspiring but I'm ok with this :p

RodFan08
09-30-2004, 02:32 AM
:yawn: What a boring outfit. :zzz: What is this, Wimbledon? Bring back the paisley camoflauge. :)

I know, what is he doing? Did he just wear the camo just for the US Open. I really hope not. It's so boring. WE WANT CAMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

RodFan08
09-30-2004, 02:36 AM
i like the outfit - it reminds me of the milk ad, and anything that does that has to be good! (:

Yeah, that's the only good thing about it. Luv that Add:) And drop the colard shirt, Andy:yeah:

Neely
09-30-2004, 03:12 AM
And Morrison? I really like Morrison, but if Andy plays even at 75% he should beat Morrison. If it's a tough match, something would have to be wrong with Andy.
Morrison could at no tournament back his LA semifinal up since then... he was rather disappointing since then. From his previous form, I think he shouldn't even come close to beat Andy unless Andy plays like a retard.

heya
09-30-2004, 03:55 AM
What a shock...fainting retarded duck!
Too bad his "close" pal Fish didn't come to cheer for him

Havok
09-30-2004, 03:56 AM
ALlez figjams are back.:banana: He went for black and white, a classics.;) I do like the collar on the shirts, but he's still wearing them 2 sizes to big, so the collars look :retard:. They're down to his nipples when they should really be around the duck's neck.:tape: Anyways, Jeff shouldn't be a problem at all.:smoke: Just get some sleep Andy. Ack if I had to play a match while running on 2 hours of sleep, I would have triped over myself so many times, and would wind up falling alseep on the court.:bigcry:

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 03:57 AM
Well Naldo, most people don't use smelling salts just for fun.... my guess is he had to have been pretty close to falling asleep during his match :haha:

star
09-30-2004, 03:58 AM
Yeah, that's the only good thing about it. Luv that Add:) And drop the colard shirt, Andy:yeah:

The collared shirt is terrific!!!!!

More collared shirts and short shorts. :)

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 03:58 AM
I love the collared shirt, it's just so classy, like tennis :) But I agree with Naldo, if it fit him better, that would be even more lovely :D

loner1984
09-30-2004, 04:13 AM
Its good to see that Rodduck didn't wear the cosmopolitan abstract art apparel in Bangkok. He would have caused an irreversible trend among the thai youth that would end in a camo fad.

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 04:16 AM
btw, star... i think he's listening to you. the hat he wore today wasn't a trucker hat. I'd say it's the first non-trucker hat he's worn in competition since what, last summer?

Just thought that might please you, a little ;)

I'm really not digging the sideburns though :o

Havok
09-30-2004, 04:21 AM
Since the US Open 2003.;)

and stick with the side-burns, they rock.:yeah: I'm sporting the same ones as well.;)

superpinkone37
09-30-2004, 04:24 AM
heyyyy i like the trucker hat :) hehe
and yeah i dont like the collared shirt in particular, but that is probably because it looks weird on his cuz is so damn big lol

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 04:25 AM
First the hair and now the sideburns..... are you trying to be Andy, Naldo? :scared:

:p

and hmmmm I wonder why all of a sudden no trucker hat :confused:

superpinkone37
09-30-2004, 04:30 AM
i know, i thought that was kinda odd that he wasnt wearing the trucker hats. hmmm maybe he wanted a change? or he ran out of colors? :p

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 04:30 AM
while distracting myself from personal jurisdiction, I noticed kind of a random observation... a higher-than-normal number of the pics from Andy's match today have him with his tongue sticking out lol. all but one of the 'action' shots from Getty are as such

Havok
09-30-2004, 04:32 AM
Nah, I've had the sideburns for a while now.:p And I only did the fauxhawk for the wedding, now it's back to normal.:p Though if I ever feel like it, I can always style it like that again.

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 04:36 AM
OMG your av!!! LOL!!!

Fumigator has a lot of tests in school this week, it sounds like. I caught him on AIM the other night and he sounded really stressed :(

superpinkone37
09-30-2004, 04:38 AM
while distracting myself from personal jurisdiction, I noticed kind of a random observation... a higher-than-normal number of the pics from Andy's match today have him with his tongue sticking out lol. all but one of the 'action' shots from Getty are as such

interesting.... :p but yeah i did notice that as well.
anyways, so the match will start at about 5 am here tomorrow right? i wont get up then but probably an hour later to check the score and stuff :)

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 04:39 AM
yes 5am blllllaaaaahhhhhh... but yay I enjoy waking up and just seeing the scores. Saves all the stress of sitting through a tournament without live scores :p

what's interesting is that this morning I went in the shower and the tourney site had nothing, I get out 10 min later and *poof* it's 6-1 5-3 ;)

LOL Squirrels are the new ducks OH DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure Fumigator will be back soon and better than ever lol

loner1984
09-30-2004, 04:40 AM
My theory is that Rodduck was in such a rush to get to south-east asia that he just grabbed whatever was in his closet, thus the non-trucker cap and the plain white rbk collared shirt and the weightlifting/cross-training shorts complete with hanging out drawstrings. I personally think that the images above appear to be similar to what rodduck looked like when he was playing doubles with Hollywood Gambill in Delray Beach about 24-30 months ago.

Havok
09-30-2004, 04:40 AM
Good luck on your tests Skyler.:drive:

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 04:50 AM
when he was playing doubles with Hollywood Gambill in Delray Beach about 24-30 months ago.

hmm...

2001 Delray
http://tennis.info/images/Roddick4.jpg

2004 Bangkok
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20040929/capt.sge.nve51.290904164418.photo00.default-378x256.jpg

What a difference 3 and a half years makes :)

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 04:52 AM
hehe :lol:

loner1984
09-30-2004, 04:53 AM
Wowza, I wasn't expecting you to pull up the pics so quick bunk... i mean deb or debstah. He is in a time capsule.

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 04:58 AM
I knew exactly where to find the old ones from 2001... otherwise I wouldn't have bothered lol! the resemblance sure is uncanny :p

http://tennis.info/images/GambillRoddick3.jpghttp://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040929/capt.xbk10909291628.thailand_open_tennis_xbk109.jp g

superpinkone37
09-30-2004, 06:37 AM
lol amanda :lol: btw, i love the new av!! hahaha

star
09-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Andy won the first set 6-2. :)

star
09-30-2004, 02:04 PM
Andy is 4-3 in the second. Don't know if that is a break or not.

star
09-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Andy wins!! 6-2, 6-4 :yippee:

melissa7
09-30-2004, 02:32 PM
:woohoo:

Mine still says 62 43... lol maybe it froze or something. I wouldn't put it past my computer.

star
09-30-2004, 02:41 PM
NEWS FLASH

There must have been something wrong with Livescore because now it says......

THIRD SET 6-2, 7-6, 3-4

:( :fiery:

star
09-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Me too......... I'm thinking was I hallucinating??????

Anyway, that's the score they have up now. :(

melissa7
09-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Aww... I already wrote the score on my drawsheet... but that's why pencils have erasers. I closed my livescore after it was apparently stuck at 64 43 but going back to it now, yeah, mine says 64 67 43 too.

superpinkone37
09-30-2004, 02:49 PM
what the hell???? andy let it go to a third set???? :fiery:

star
09-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Morrison isn't that good. So Andy must be playing really crapy for some reason.

And I say this as someone who really likes Morrison. He's one of the few U.S. players that I do like. :)

Neely
09-30-2004, 03:06 PM
oh damn it... these constant score changes and confusion about the scores from tournaments without livescore are really annoying! :banghead: :banghead: :mad: :fiery:

Neely
09-30-2004, 03:09 PM
the tournament website says now Andy won 6-4 in the third set

I hope it's true!

star
09-30-2004, 03:10 PM
ME TOO!!!

melissa7
09-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Mine says it too.

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Andy's site says it as well.... omg :fiery: wtf are you doing losing tiebreaks to people like Morrison (and nothing against him but cmon Andy beat him 1 and 3 on CLAY last year).

He plays ToJo tomorrow not before 3 local time - that's middle of the night here. I don't see how he will win if he has such trouble with Morrison. I don't blame him, he's tired and now has to play tough matches every day, but I just don't understand why he ever agreed to show up at this tourney in the first place, especially after April when he knew he had Davis Cup right before :o

he's 1-0 against ToJo but they have not played since Wimby 2001 - Andy won in 4

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 04:12 PM
oh boy today was not a good day for Andy... look at his face in the pic where he's waving to the crowd..... oh and the TB was at 4... losing tiebreaks at the end of the season again, Andy? :fiery:

There are more pics at Getty, here are the better ones

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040930/i/r2519427403.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040930/i/r2455821545.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040930/i/r627837111.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040930/capt.xbk11109301412.thailand_open_xbk111.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040930/capt.xbk10809301422.sports_tennis_thailand_open_xb k108.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040930/i/r3749346512.jpg

And of course, this tells the story. the caption says this was after he lost the breaker.
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040930/i/r288398826.jpg

J. Corwin
09-30-2004, 04:23 PM
what a bad win. turn it up!

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 04:25 PM
It makes sense that he would have trouble with a big server, though... gotta have quick reflexes and if you're tired and lethargic like what jetlag makes you feel like (well what it makes me feel like anyway), it's not a surprise that he probably returned even worse than he usually does.

at least he didn't lose 0 and 4 like Dent :o

What's a little odd is that I woke up around 6:30, checked the tourney forum, saw people said he won 62 64 and went to bed for almost an hour and a half. It's a good thing I didn't know what was really happening lol

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 04:34 PM
ohmygod SEVEN match points???????????
==================

Roddick, Federer, Safin reach Thailand Open quarterfinals

(09-30) 08:23 PDT BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) --

Andy Roddick needed seven match points before finally putting away Jeff Morrison 6-2, 6-7 (4), 6-4 Thursday to reach the Thailand Open quarterfinals.

Roddick, seeded second, eventually closed it with a forehand winner.

"I missed easy shots and missed easy points," the 2003 U.S. Open champion said.

His next opponent is 2002 Australian Open champ Thomas Johansson, who beat Chile's Adrian Garcia 6-3, 6-3.

"He's a former top 10 player and he's won a Grand Slam," Roddick said, referring to Johansson. "It will be tough, but I'm hitting the balls well now." (Uh.... you are???? SEVEN match points???)

tangerine_dream
09-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Amanda! Your new "swerl" av :haha: Love it :yeah:

Yay Naldo, you and I agree on men's fashion again :rocker2: Keep the sideburns, Andy. It adds interest. Sideburns are more interesting than boring white outfits. :ras:

The pics bunk posted, boy does Andy look miserable. :sad: He must still be recovering from jet-lag or his cold, or whatever. No way is he gonna get past ToJo playing like this. I hope he drinks lots of green tea and gets the rest he needs. I'm setting a curfew for him: in bed by 9:00pm. No excuses. ;)

bunk, I think the reason Andy agreed to go to Thailand this year was because last year he pulled out at the last minute and was fined. If he pulled out again this year it wouldn't look good on him. He's very popular in Asia, second to Roger, I think. And Andy hates to disappoint fans. Especially the ones who rarely get to see him.

Re: the backwards cap. Andy's very attuned to marketing and his image, so I'm wondering if maybe he's doing the backwards cap thing to please the asian fans? He's only been in Asia twice, right? And they seem to recognize him mostly as the American kid with the backwards cap. I don't think the trucker hat would go over as well in Asia. It's "too American". Anyway, it's just a theory. :)

Good luck on your exams, Fumus.

PinkFeatherBoa
09-30-2004, 05:37 PM
That win was far too close for my liking... "pedal to the metal" for the next one Andy. Those pictures do make him look pretty unhappy yeah, but he's probably tired with all the DC then jetting straight out there. If he's gone out there to keep the fans happy, then I'm pleased he showed up, it's a nice gesture to those fans who don't get to see as much live tennis as us jammy Europeans and the US. :yeah:

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 06:55 PM
well maybe one reason he's playing so shitty is that he doesn't care about this tourney
-------

Roddick turned his thoughts to the United States' Davis Cup final against Spain in December after his victory over Morrison.

"The Davis Cup... that's my priority for the rest of the year, so whatever I need to do to prepare for that I'm willing to do that," said Roddick, who needed seven match points to overcome Morrison.

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 07:13 PM
:banghead: from AFP article
=============

Roddick needed to win a battle against fellow American Morrison in an entertaining struggle lasting for nearly two hours. "We both had fun out there," said the winner, making his Bangkok debut.

"I missed couple of easy shots in the second set, but the result eventually came up a win. We both appreciated competing hard, there were some good points.

"There was a huge (sellout) crowd, it was exciting." Roddick earned the win in just under two hours on his seventh match point.

tangerine_dream
09-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Relax. :) Andy's not the only one who's not on cruise control in this tournament:

THAILAND OPEN: Gain, But With Pain
Federer, Safin, Roddick into quarter-finals

Published on Oct 1, 2004

The Thailand Open’s top three seeds all moved into the quarter-finals yesterday, but none of them did so with any degree of comfort at the Impact Arena.

World No 1 Roger Federer, No 2 Andy Roddick and No 9 Marat Safin had match point after match point in hand but could not execute them comfortably, partly because their opponents fought too hard.

Pony-tailed top seed Federer of Switzerland was taken to the fourth match point before downing his compatriot Ivo Heuberger 6-1 6-3 within an hour.

Witnessed by HRH Princess Ubolratana Rajakanya, second-seed Andy Roddick was six times away from victory against countryman Jeff Morrison but needed one more before winning 6-2 6-7 (4-7) 6-4.

Safin had an even tougher time against Jiri Vanek of the Czech Republic who put in a gutsy performance with his back to the wall. The Russian star needed until the eighth match point to seal victory 6-3 6-4.

In a battle of serves, Roddick overcame a brief bout of nerves in the second set tie-break to beat countryman Morrison. The American was so mad at himself that he broke his racquet after losing the second set.

“It slipped through my hands,” joked the American. “I missed easy shots and lost easy points,” he said, explaining why it took him so long to advance to the next round. The American will take on Thomas Johansson of Sweden today.

“He used to be a top 10 candidate and won a Grand Slam. It will be tough, but I’m hitting the balls pretty well now,” added the former world No 1 who was in a very friendly and lighthearted mood when talking to the press.

But the news wasn’t so good for defending champion Taylor Dent of the United States who suffered his first defeat in the Kingdom for a year. His winning streak was halted at 13 by Dutchman Dennis Van Scheppingen. The world No 81 benefited by uncharacteristic errors from his opponent and took the match 6-0 6-4 in only 42 minutes.

Federer was on the verge of victory against Heuberger with a 5-1 advantage in the second set but blew his chances with two errors and a double fault. He had to serve again for the triumph at 5-3 and capitalised on it this time.

“It was one-way traffic until 5-1. He just hung in there. But I knew he was not 100 per cent because he had a problem with his teeth. I just took advantage of that,” said the coach-less world No 1 who relies on his own advice instead of watching video tapes or receiving tips from others before a match.

Instead of a Master Yoda, the winner of four majors travels with his partner Miroslava Vavrinec, a former top-100 player who plays a key role in his life.

“It’s nice to have her with me all the time. We have a good time together and time flies quickly. She also helps make my life easier,” said Federer. He can expect a tough challenge in his next match against rising Swedish star Robin Soderling, whom he beat 7-5 6-1 in Montreal this year.

“He is young, dangerous and will be motivated to play tough guys. I hope I will get through to the semi.”

The grumpy Safin at one time smacked his racquet on court after blowing one of his opportunities to finish off his opponent.

“It wasn’t my day to close out the match. He was rallying at his best and took all his chances. It happens,” said Safin who has been invincible for eight straight matches since in Beijing a few weeks ago.

“It’s very important to be confident. I have to go for my shots and feel confident with my game otherwise you won’t win your matches,” said Safin about his winning streak.

Eighth-seeded Soderling and 2002 Australian Open Johansson also booked quarter-final berths. Soderling vanquished Australian Paul Baccanello 6-1 6-3 in one hour and four minutes.

Countryman Johansson moved past Chilean Andrian Garcia 6-3 6-3. The other quarter-final place was taken by Brazil’s Flavio Saretta who rallied to beat Roger Wassen of the Netherlands 3-6 6-1 6-3.

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Anyone else think Andy needs to stop saying these tight, close matches are "fun"? It's kinda annoying. He needs to not be IN these positions in the first place lol...

and this whole "we'll see what happens" bit is kinda annoying as well lmfao
======
Roddick: ”We had fun out there. Playing against most of the Americans, we compete well and have fun. The fans were great, they supported both players. They're coming in big numbers, it's very impressive. Johannson is going to be tough. He's been in the top 10, he's won a Slam so we'll see what happens.”
=======

I really hope this doesn't end up like last year when he loses all the TBs he plays... maybe it was a little tiebreak rusty since has not played one since the Olympics but still. He should be winning those.

It is kinda funny though that all top 3 seeds needed multiple match points (4, 7, and 8 respectively) to put away their matches.

I still have a bad feeling about ToJo, as always :)

zoltan83
09-30-2004, 10:12 PM
good that Andy won (otherwise my Vcash will be = 0 :rolleyes: ) but wtf with his score :eek:

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 10:21 PM
is just sounds like played a really stupid tiebreaker. Maybe he felt like playing another set of tennis :rolleyes:

Havok
09-30-2004, 10:24 PM
:retard: As long as he won I guess. A loss to ToJo is MUCH better than going out to Morisson, though I think Andy will pick things up and win again tomorrow.;)

andyroxmysox12191
09-30-2004, 11:24 PM
uh...3 sets andy? :rolleyes: could've done it in 2 you idiot :ras: oh well...i have my mind on other things so i'm not gonna get all :fiery: on him lol

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 11:30 PM
:o he really needs to work on his concentration if this is enough to cost him a whole tiebreak.
---------
Andy has edged out Jeff Morrison in a tight three set match, defeating his fellow American 6-2, 6-7, 6-4. At 3-1 in the tiebreak just as Andy was hitting his second serve a girl in the crowd yelled “Andy, I love you” producing a double fault, a lost tiebreak and a smashed racquet. The smashed racquet did the trick as Andy won the third set.

After the match, Andy met the Princess of Thailand and promptly said, “She was pretty cool!” Also, Andy has a Thai body guard reported to be a great guy, so Andy is teaching him slang and has him saying “what up dog?”

MisterQ
09-30-2004, 11:34 PM
:retard: As long as he won I guess. A loss to ToJo is MUCH better than going out to Morisson, though I think Andy will pick things up and win again tomorrow.;)

Way to go, ToJo is so-so, but JMo is a no-no for A-Ro! :angel:

Deboogle!.
09-30-2004, 11:34 PM
:haha: :haha: you always know the right thing to say, Q :)

Jennay
10-01-2004, 01:29 AM
Andy :haha: 3 sets wasn't necessary but whatever ;) As long as he won.

Deboogle!.
10-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Andy :haha:

:confused: what did he do that was funny?

Carito_90
10-01-2004, 02:45 AM
Also, Andy has a Thai body guard reported to be a great guy, so Andy is teaching him slang and has him saying “what up dog?”

OH MY GOOOOOOOD, Andy :sobbing: :haha:

andyroxmysox12191
10-01-2004, 03:39 AM
i think maybe what caro just said, deb :)

superpinkone37
10-01-2004, 04:32 AM
must i say it again? ;) andy is a tard. he scared the shit outta me this morning when i finally go ahold of some "live" scores and to find out he just lost a TB. come on andy, ur supposed to be good at those, and especially against someone like morrison. why is he saying "he had fun out there"? it doesnt look like hes taking this tourney seriously at all...im glad he won today, but seriously did he need to take it to a third? um no. oh well, im not in a very good mood right now, so im gonna rag on andy...i could keep going but ill spare you guys another rant ...

Deboogle!.
10-01-2004, 04:33 AM
awww Danielle! :hug:

Well it's ok, we all rant on Andy all the time, he deserves another!!!!!! Go for it, girl! ;)

Golfnduck
10-01-2004, 04:35 AM
Andy does deserve a rant!!! I'm gonna kill him for taking it to a third :smash:
Damn you Andy!!! :mad: It was supposed to be an easy match.

superpinkone37
10-01-2004, 04:42 AM
awww Danielle! :hug:

Well it's ok, we all rant on Andy all the time, he deserves another!!!!!! Go for it, girl! ;)

i would....but i seriously need to do some homework. maybe later ;) its gonna be a late night tonight-- we had a long tennis match i didnt get home till after seven i think. then of course i gotta come on here and check up on everything, and now i have a lot of reading to do and other stuff that i dont remember at the moment. geez and im soooo tired already!!! .................

Deboogle!.
10-01-2004, 05:01 AM
I asked Prodigy in the tourney forum about the match since he/she mentioned that it was nice to see a match were both players were enjoying themselves and smiling a lot

Yes, it's a quality match & entertaining. Andy double faulted in that tie-break because a girl yelled "Andy, I love you!" when he was serving a 2nd serve. But they're changing smiles almost all the time when his opponent made amazing shots.

and this is from the tourney website (and hmm maybe they'll get the score right tonight :o)
-----
Perhaps it was catching, because Andy Roddick needed seven match points to defeat fellow American Jeff Morrison. Now he had got over his jet-lag, everything about Andy's game was miles better than on Wednesday. He was sharper and more committed and looked as if he was enjoying himself.

In fact it was a match played in terrific spirit between two friends. And some of the tennis was spectacular, especially from the world number two but also from an opponent who fought all the way to the last ball.

After dominating the first set, Roddick was stretched in the second, failing to win the only break point of the set as he led 4-3. The set then went to a tiebreak, and a Roddick fan played a large part in him losing the tiebreak! Already down 3-0, he double-faulted when a lady called out between his first and second serves that she loved him. After he went on to lose the set, he smashed his racket in frustration before composing himself for the final set.

"At the end of the day the result is the same as if I'd won the first one," said Roddick, referring to the match points that got away. "We were having some fun out there. We appreciated that we were competing hard and had some good points.

"And the fans were great. I felt they were supporting both players, and they're coming out in big numbers so it's exciting. With that call from the stands, I was already down 3-0 and it didn't decide the tiebreaker, for sure."

ataptc
10-01-2004, 05:52 AM
hmmm quality match? andy sounds far from his best.. couldnt believe he let that set go.. :o he needs to be focused against ToJo!

superpinkone37
10-01-2004, 07:06 AM
im wondering if anyone has seen a post match interview from today...didnt see one on the touney site...

heya
10-01-2004, 07:21 AM
yes, Andy will be very tired after playing 2 hours, but he can't admit that he was one step away from losing. He always gives excuses for immature behaviour because he thinks it's harmless.
It's all a joke to him since he knows he won't win the event. He's too INTIMIDATED.

heya
10-01-2004, 07:56 AM
We both appreciated competing hard, there were some good points.
Gentleman Andy wants to look generous. There's no reason to show his variety because he doesn't want much-needed respect for beating a top 10
player. (just serve real fast to make little girls scream).
He's not trying because he has a difficult draw. He doesn't want to win a small tourney, Masters Cup or Slam.

Come on, Johannson! Andy doesn't belong in the top 10.

Shut his damn mouth & stop letting him act pathetic for the TV camera & audience.
He keeps kicking, throwing things, shaking his head, laughing & joking (especially with any American or top 10 player) like it's too difficult & not important for his ranking.

This is the same BS he pulled in Cincinnati semifinal.
Even that moron PMac forgot Andy's Cincy scores.

ataptc
10-01-2004, 11:51 AM
andy won over johansson 6-3 6-4! :woohoo:
so he has picked up his form :D

star
10-01-2004, 02:36 PM
:yippee: Andy!

zoltan83
10-01-2004, 02:38 PM
:bounce: Andy :bounce:

superpinkone37
10-01-2004, 02:55 PM
yay andy :)

After the match, Andy commented: "I was serving pretty well, which was the key. I was lucky to break him when I had the chance. Reaching the semifinal was better than I expected, because I just got here a few days ago."

but by that comment, it does look like andy didnt expect to play well here at all and so he probably wasnt taking it too seriously. hopefully, now, he realizes he can win this tourney, he just needs to try :)

Deboogle!.
10-01-2004, 03:09 PM
He had 21 aces (prepares for Mani's reaction)..... 21 aces in a 6-3 6-4 match?!?! Holy lord!

Yeah Danielle it does sound like he's doing better than he expected at the tourney... but sometimes that's good. If he's doing this well being this tired and whatnot, I have high expectations for him at the masters tourneys in a few weeks :)

jirobkk has some pics of Andy in the tourney forum, check 'em out!
=======

Roddick joins Federer in Bangkok semi-finals

BANGKOK (AFP) - Andy Roddick laid on a 21-ace performance to crush Thomas Johansson 6-3, 6-4, moving past jet-lag and into the semi-finals of the 550,000-dollar Thailand Open.

Roddick, the second seed, admitted that he looks like having no chance at setting another serving speed record as he did last weekend against Balarus.

"I don't think it will happen here," said the American who is edging towards a possible finals showdown with hot rival Roger Federer at the Impact arena.

"I played aggressive," the right-hander said Friday.

"I played the big points well and took my opportunities when they came up. he didn't give me that many chances to get into his service games."

Roddick took just 51 minutes for his victory against the 2002 Australian Open (news - web sites) champion, back after knee surgery which kept him away in 2003.

Johansson scored only ten aces and lost serve twice: Roddick never faced a break point.

"I was happy to break when I got the chances," said Roddick, winner of three matches in as many days after coming in from weekend Davis Cup play in the U.S. only Tuesday night. "But this kind of win is more than I expected."

The result improved Roddick to 69-13 this season, giving him one more victory than top seed Federer, who moved nearer to a tenth title of the season at the expense of another Swede, Robin Soderling, 7-6 (7-3), 6-4.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20041001/capt.sge.old00.011004123105.photo00.default-384x273.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041001/capt.xbk11210011111.thailand_open_xbk112.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20041001/i/r1115996323.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20041001/i/r3214222771.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041001/capt.xbk11110011035.thailand_open_xbk111.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041001/capt.xbk10910011030.sports_tennis_thailand_open_xb k109.jpg

ataptc
10-01-2004, 03:10 PM
they're showing the semis and final matches here.. it should be interesting! ;)

Neely
10-01-2004, 03:14 PM
thanks for the article... :)

Johansson scored only ten aces and lost serve twice: Roddick never faced a break point.
"Roddick never faced a break point"... that sounds convincing! :bounce: better job this time, Andy! :clap2:

Deboogle!.
10-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Yea it does sound like he played a much more solid match today :) But Marat is a whole different level of player and he's playing well now. I still stand by my original statement a few days ago that Andy would make the SF and lose to Marat. Now Andy can try to prove me wrong ;)

LOL this pic (http://www.jirobkk.com/album/Thailand_Open_2004/29_Sep_2004_(Part_1)/view.asp?&aj=0&textloc=descriptions/&strpath=/album/Thailand_Open_2004/29_Sep_2004_(Part_1)/&imno=0) from jirobkk - it's Andy with the smelling salts LOL

Neely
10-01-2004, 03:33 PM
LOL this pic (http://www.jirobkk.com/album/Thailand_Open_2004/29_Sep_2004_(Part_1)/view.asp?&aj=0&textloc=descriptions/&strpath=/album/Thailand_Open_2004/29_Sep_2004_(Part_1)/&imno=0) from jirobkk - it's Andy with the smelling salts LOL
and why was he doing it? I don't get what is and what for is "smelling salts" :rolleyes: :scratch:

Deboogle!.
10-01-2004, 03:36 PM
when someone faints, you usually give them smelling salts, I've never smelled them myself, but I imagine they're very strong and taking a whif jolts the person back into consciousness. In other words, Andy was so tired in his first match that he had to just take a smell to help him stay alert.

Marat is winning, as expected.. this should be fun...well a tourney where the top 4 seeds make the semis - that's nice!

star
10-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Smelling salts are ammonium carbonate. So.... basically dried ammonia.

You can see how a whif of that would jolt you. :)

Deboogle!.
10-01-2004, 03:43 PM
mmmmhmmmmmm yes that makes sense :p I can see how it'd help you wake up if you've fainted but if you're actually awake, it seems like its function would be limited, but what do I know lmao

So Andy's match against Marat (who is up a set and a break at least at this point so I think it's a safe one to call) is second after Roger/Paradorn, they start at 2:30 local time. thats uh 1:30am eastern so figure Andy will play around 3-4am eastern lol

star
10-01-2004, 03:45 PM
I looked it up for you.

Ammonium carbonate is mixed with perfume to create a stimulant. The ammonia fumes from the salts irritate the membranes of the nose and lungs, which triggers a reflex causing the muscles that control breathing to work faster.

ataptc
10-01-2004, 03:47 PM
21aces??? :eek: even i am surprised at the number! :worship:

Deboogle!.
10-01-2004, 03:49 PM
thanks star! :kiss: interesting!

and yea, 21 aces :eek: I thought ToJo was a really good returner, too!

Neely
10-01-2004, 03:50 PM
cool! :cool: thanks for the info, Deb and Star. I understand the word now and know for what it is meant for. :)

ataptc
10-01-2004, 04:07 PM
yeah thanks too :yeah: i was subconsciously recalling what smelling salts were..

Havok
10-01-2004, 04:08 PM
:smoke:

tangerine_dream
10-01-2004, 04:21 PM
LOL Naldo. We :worship: thee, all knowing one. ;)

I'm glad Andy's finally picked up his game. 21 aces, wow. :eek: But Hippo's a different animal. ;) I wish we could see their match. Marat-Andy matches are always a fascinating mix of impudence and chaos. :)

Mr. Man
10-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Kick Marat's ass, Rod!

Deboogle!.
10-01-2004, 05:10 PM
:smoke:
:yeah: but you also said Andy will beat Marat no matter what his state of fatigue might be. do you still stand by that? per my usual, I think Marat will win.

Havok
10-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Yes I still do expect him to beat Safin. He isn't a headcase and he's the better player this year. If he does end up losing to Marat, it's still a bad loss, but more understandable than a loss to any of his earlier opponents.

Deboogle!.
10-01-2004, 08:31 PM
I'm officially off GM and the tourney thread til well after this match is over. I almost wish Andy had lost to ToJo just so MTF wouldn't become a warzone again :haha:

Deboogle!.
10-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Apparently Marat played really well today. Granted it's Saretta, not known for his indoors prowess but when Marat is really full of confidence he is hard to beat. I just hope Andy isn't satisfied with the SF showing and doesn't put in the full effort. That said, I still fully expect Andy to lose :p

from the ATP Friday summary:

Roddick: “Yeah, I hit 21 aces, because I decided to be aggressive on both my first and second serves. I played the big points well and took my chances when they came. ”

“I'm feeling fine, even though I didn't have much of a break after the US Open but hopefully after this tournament I'll have a break. ”

Safin: “I am full of confidence, I'm feeling comfortable and I have finally found my game. Now that I've finally found my game, I'm playing the game I want. ”

“Roddick will be tough, he's had a great year, he's won tournaments, he's confident, he has a big serve and he is volleying well. It’s going to be very close and it will come down to two points in which could go either way. There is one strategy, return his serve, take your opportunities, go for shots, look to put pressure on him and look for something extra as he is very confident. ”

“I have no injuries and hope that it will stay like this until the end of my career. For me to stay in the Top 10 is satisfying and I will try and improve my ranking. ”

SEMIFINALS PREVIEW

Excitement in Bangkok peaks as the current No. 1 player in the world, two former No. 1s, and Asia’s No. 1 feature in Bangkok semifinal action. In today’s prime semifinals involving the Top Four seeds, No. 1 and INDESIT ATP 2004 Race winner Roger Federer takes on Thai hero and No.4 seed Paradorn Srichaphan in the first match of the day. They will be followed by a match made of fireworks as No. 2 seeded Andy Roddick meets No. 3 seeded Marat Safin. All four of today’s semifinalists have captured ATP titles this season; Federer (9), Roddick (3), Srichaphan (1), Safin (1).

It’s the second time of the 2004 ATP season, the Top Four seed have advanced into the semifinals. It also happened in January in Chennai, where No. 1 Carlos Moya, No. 2 Paradorn Srichaphan, No.3 Sjeng Schalken and No.4 Tommy Robredo reached the last four. Moya went on to defeat Srichaphan in the final.
No. 2 seed Roddick meets No. 3 Safin for the fourth time in their careers, with the Russian holding a 2-1 edge. Roddick, who finished No. 1 in 2003, is aiming for his 70th victory of the season and for his fifth title of the year. The 22-year-old American came straight to Bangkok after leading the U.S. Davis Cup team to their first final since 1997. Safin has his sights set on an appearance at the prestigious season ending Tennis Masters Cup in Houston, currently being in eighth position. The Russian ended a two-year title drought in Beijing two weeks ago, winning his 12th ATP title.

tangerine_dream
10-01-2004, 09:12 PM
You're not missing much in GM, Debstah, but nothing's funnier than listening to a bunch of Roddick-haters "objectively" discuss Andy's weaknesses and lack of strengths. :lol:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=9535&page=1&pp=15

Deboogle!.
10-01-2004, 09:13 PM
oh I've looked in that thread, I have almost everyone posting it in on ignore! LMFAO!!

I went and posted my opinion about tomorrow's match in the thread for it and now I'm done. Luckily I have an absolute crap-assload of work to do this weekend so I can't spend any time on it anyway :)

RonE
10-01-2004, 11:57 PM
Hi everyone, I'm back :wavey:

I think Andy can take Marat on. I'm sure there is still a fire burning in him from the AO loss. True, Marat seems to be riding a wave of confidence now, but the way I see it, if Andy can get in Marat's head a little bit, make him frustrated he might just lose his cool. It's all a question of who wants it more at this stage.

Nishy
10-01-2004, 11:58 PM
I am glad Andy advanced to SF despite tired for right after DC and jet lag. Tomorrow it will be very interesting match. Seeing his current form, I can't see he will get through against Safin who finds his game, gets his confidence and is capable of beating Andy. So I just hope Andy will do well against Safin and but still hope Andy will win. I don't know he will use same tactics like he did in IW, using volley as much as possible, but it still seems to work against Safin. But question is whether he can do again. As Safin said it seems we can see "Serve and Volleyer Andy" only one time in his whole career? Who knows. lol

By the way, is Brad there? I read someone's post in AR.com and he/she didn't see Brad when Andy was practicing. If not, I see why Andy wears backward hat.

Jennay
10-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Hi everyone, I'm back :wavey:

I think Andy can take Marat on. I'm sure there is still a fire burning in him from the AO loss. True, Marat seems to be riding a wave of confidence now, but the way I see it, if Andy can get in Marat's head a little bit, make him frustrated he might just lose his cool. It's all a question of who wants it more at this stage.
Welcome back, Ron! :hug:

Deboogle!.
10-02-2004, 12:13 AM
Well actually, Ron, I think Marat does want this more. Andy knows this tournament can't do a whole lot for him, whereas Marat needs all the points he can get to try to qualify. I really DO think Marat wants it more, I think Andy came to Thailand more to fulfill an obligation rather than b/c he really was dying to play there.

But here is a very nice article on Andy from the Bangkok paper :) and another one after it previewing the SFs
=========

Roddick shows he’s a charming guy

Seven years ago, a boy walked off the court with tears brimming in his eyes after losing the Thailand Junior Open final in Bangkok. He was remembered by tournament staff as an emotional kid who wiped away tears in the locker room.

Six years later that boy grew up and reigned over men’s tennis, succeeding Juan Carlos Ferrero as the world’s No 1. But one thing about Andy Roddick has not changed: he is still full of emotion on court.

Defeat might not make him cry like in the old days. But the 22-year-old tennis sensation yells, expresses anger and “slips [breaks] his racquet on court” as he prefers to put it. But it is that unique character that makes him one of the most popular tennis players, especially among young fans.

Roddick returned this week to the City of Angels as the world No 2. Though he cannot remember exactly what happened in that painful loss seven years ago, vague memories linger.

“I cannot remember crying, but I could have because I was leading 6-5 and 40-30 but lost the final,” Roddick recalled of his first visit to Thailand.

It’s no surprise to see teenage fans call out his name or express their affection and passion for him in a match. “A Rod” is indeed a friendly man who gives a cosy interview and loves to make jokes with the media.

When asked his opinion on being voted by People Magazine as one of the world’s sexiest sportsmen, the 2003 US Open champion was not going to give a straight answer.

“Oh, my dad is the editor of that magazine and my mum forced two million people to vote for me,” Roddick said, playfully evading his real thoughts on the matter.

It seems his extroverted style, whether it be wearing his cap back-to-front during a match or yelling and expressing his emotions throughout, makes Roddick even more popular with teenage fans.

“I don’t know whether I’m popular here. It has to be the fans who decide it. I’ve never seen the crowd react with other players, so I don’t know if I’m the most popular as you are telling me,” said Roddick, who laughed off the rumour that he had booked a flight back home for today.

“Do you want me to leave now?,” he joked. “Where did you heard that? Tomorrow I have to play in the semi-final and I cannot play on the plane.”

When compared to world No 1 Roger Federer, Roddick doesn’t seem as calm as the down-to-earth Swiss star, seemingly preferring to act more like teenager.

“Look like teenager, do I? Yeah, yeah, I don’t know,” Roddick nodded while considering his behaviour on court.

Apart from his outgoing personality, the stunningly fast serve that is his best weapon is what people want to see. At every match he plays, the fans hope to witness yet another serving record.

“It doesn’t always come when I want it to. I wish I could make it whenever I want,” sighed Roddick, who recently set the world record of 259kph.

Piyarat Setthasiriphaiboon

The Nation

==============
====================
=====================

THAILAND OPEN: Titans to clash

Published on Oct 2, 2004

Fans couldn’t hope for better semis match-ups

Today’s semi-finals of the Thailand Open will feature two dream matches: Andy Roddick versus Marat Safin and the long-time awaited clash between Roger Federer and Paradorn Srichaphan.

Thai fans could not ask for more and they are predicted to pack the 10,000 capacity Impact Arena in Muang Thong Thani this afternoon.

Yesterday the fab four of the tournament successfully cleared their hurdles in the quarter-finals.

Federer was on the threshold of losing the first set, putting up a gutsy fight to climb back from 4-5 and 15-30 down to outclass the error-prone Robin Soderling of Sweden 7-6 (7-3) 6-4.

Second-seed Andy Roddick of the United States was in a hurry on court against Thomas Johansson of Sweden in a match that finished in just 51 minutes.

Employing his trademark lighting serves, the American secured only one break each set to rout out the Swedish world No 48 6-3 6-4.

In the nearly sold-out evening match, Paradorn suffered a brief bout of nerves at 5-4 in the second set but cut his errors in time to oust Dutchman world No 81 Dennis Van Scheppingen 6-2 7-5.

Third-seeded Marat Safin of Russia earned the final spot in the semis following his easy 6-2 6-1 win over Flavio Saretta of Brazil.

Paradorn cruised through the opening set in 25 minutes and should have completed his assignment serving for the match at 5-4. Three easy mistakes robbed him of that game but he recovered in time to win the match with his 13th ace of the evening.

It’s been three years since Paradorn and the Swede met. They only took each other on in the 2001 Hopman Cup in which Federer easily handled Paradorn 6-4 6-2.

“He has improved a lot and is better than me. But I’ll be more relaxed because I’m an underdog. It’s OK to lose to the world No 1 but to beat him would be nice,’’ said Paradorn who hopes fans will encourage him to upset the four time Grand Slam champion.

Paradorn has not beaten a top 10 player since his win over Roddick in the Paris Masters Series in 2002. He has a chance now, but the fact that Federer is an almost flawless player will make it a Herculean task.

“I have to damage his mental condition. He lost confidence in those matches he lost this year. That’s what I have to do,’’ the Thai no 1 said.

Federer was ready to play out the second set after the 20-year-old Soderling was up a break and serving for the set at 5-4. Yet he hung tough and blended slice, spins and speed to confuse the inexperienced Swedish and it worked.

The talented Swiss broke back and challenged his rival to play the tie-break. He came up with incredible serves when he needed them most, unleashing two aces, one at 191km and the other at 180km to set up a triple set point at 6-3. The set was over when the Swede’s backhand found the net.

After exchanging several breaks, Federer gained the upper-hand at 4-2 and let play continue on serve. At 5-4, Federer created two huge serves that paved the way to the semi-final.

“He made me work hard and was so far the toughest opponent I have played in this tournament. But I still felt I could improve and got back into the set. I just executed my serves and hung in there,’’ said Federer who had a total of 14 aces to his name after the match.

Roddick blast 21 aces and did not provide the former Australian open champion Johansson much of a chance to get his rhythm. The American delivered an ace to land the first and second sets. One of them travelled at the speed of 200kmh.

“I have to be aggressive both on the first and second serves. I picked up a few aces on my second serves. I was playing big points well,’’ said the world No 2 who claimed he missed the tournament last year because of a physical problem .

“It will be fantastic to play Srichaphan in Thailand,” Federer said.

“I am looking forward to the semi with him as do the fans. He will have the crowd behind him but I think the fans are fair here.”

Lerpong amsa-ngiam

The Nation

k-rod83
10-02-2004, 12:18 AM
good luck to andy against marat....i think a straight sets win for andy. he seems to be playing more freely if u know what i mean....his first match u could tell he was tired!

Nishy
10-02-2004, 12:24 AM
Thanks for articles bunk, .. no Debstah. Nice article.

Deboogle!.
10-02-2004, 12:25 AM
you can call me bunk ;) And yes I liked that one too. I like hearing about him being popular everywhere and I like that he is humble about it. and even though he's used the People magazine joke way too many times, it still makes me laugh

Nishy
10-02-2004, 12:38 AM
I call you bunk sometimes. :) Still familiar for me. Yea magazine joke is cute.

zoltan83
10-02-2004, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the article Deb ;)
It's nice that Andy face to Marat. It can be a great macht and Andy can win. :D
People who live in Thailand can be happy... There is great SF in this tournament.

andyroxmysox12191
10-02-2004, 01:38 AM
RON :hug: yay!
Andy! :banana: nice job. hope he wins tomorrow *crosses fingers*
and 21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :woohoo: :banana: :dance:

superpinkone37
10-02-2004, 02:00 AM
welcome back ron!!
and i guess andy played pretty convincingly today based on the things i have heard. i think he might be able to beat marat tomorrow cuz hes the biggest headcase and all that....but who knows. marat just won a tourney and he must be wanting to get some revenge. too bad we dont get to see it here.....:sad:

Golfnduck
10-02-2004, 02:10 AM
GO ANDY!!! KICK MARAT BOOTY!!! I wanna see an Andy vs Rogi final!!! GO ANDY!!! :worship:

heya
10-02-2004, 06:38 AM
he allowed 10 aces against a so-so Johansson. Pitiful. What did he mean by not expecting to win? The draw wasn't difficult, but he told himself it was really painful.
Why didn't he withdraw from Thailand. He won't do anything but embarrass hiimself.
This was his attitude all year long:
Either he tried to distract himself like at USO or he gave up in the middle of matches.

Andy was satisfied to reach semis.
he'll double fault a lot, as usual, because he doesn't care much.
will lose 3-6 2-6 or 2-6 7-6 3-6
Srichaphan is SO easy to beat, but if Andy had drawn him, he would've been accused of haviing rigged draws. - 6-4 6-2

I laugh at the cowards at GM. I'm not scared.

Deboogle!.
10-02-2004, 06:42 AM
:confused: how do you know ToJo had 10 aces today?

Neely
10-02-2004, 11:47 AM
from the scoring thread...

Andy serving
0-15
0-30 df
15-30
30-30
40-30
game
Andy 1-0

Safin serving
0-15
0-30 FH just long
15-30 netted BH
30-30 Andy's return out
30-40 FH wide
deuce - umpire overrules & replay w/ Andy's BH error. Safin asks umpire about that overruled point
adv Safin
game - netted BH
1-1

Andy serving
0-15
0-30
15-30 good serve 220 km/hr
30-30 good serve
40-30 huge serve
ace
Andy 2-1

Safin serving
15-0
15-15 BH wide
30-15 ace dtm
40-15 BH into the corner
good serve
Andy 2-2

Andy serving
15-0 good serve
15-15 FH pass
30-15 good serve
40-15 Safin's return out
ace
Andy 3-2

Safin
15-0
30-0 ace 194 km/hr
40-0 good serve
ace
3-3

Andy serving
15-0
15-15
30-15 netted BH after rally
30-30 netted FH, Andy complaints about the ball to umpire. He thinks it's too soft.
40-30 good serve
Andy 4-3

Safin serving
15-0 FH long
30-0 Andy's FH long
40-0 good serve
40-15 netted FH
40-30 netted BH volley
game - netted BH
4-4

Andy serving
0-15 good volley
0-30 unforced error
15-30 good serve
30-30 BH & FH volley
40-30 good serve
deuce - double fault
adv Andy - ace dtm
deuce - FH crosscourt
adv Andy - ace
Safin's return out
Andy 5-4

Safin serving
15-0
30-0 netted FH
40-0 ace dtm 202km/hr
BH cross
5-5

Andy serving
15-0
30-0
40-0 good dtl shot & smash winner
40-15 FH wide
40-30 stunning FH crosscourt return
good serve
Andy 6-5

Safin serving
15-0 FH cross
30-0 good serve
30-15 FH cross return
40-15 BH return long
40-30 Safin's error
game - BH dtl
6-6

Andy serves first
1*-0 netted BH after rally
2-0* FH long
3*-1 FH dtl pass
4*-1 ace
5-1* Safin's error
6*-1 what a point, they tried hard.
7*-1 ace

Andy 1st set 7-6(1) :D

Neely
10-02-2004, 12:16 PM
2nd set

Safin serving
0-15 1st double fault
40-15 BH wide
game
Andy 7-6(1), 0-1

Andy serving
15-0 big serve dtm
15-15 Andy's UE
30-15 10th ace
30-30 deep FH & BH volley
40-30 good serve
good serve
Andy 7-6(1), 1-1

Safin serving
15-0
30-0 FH long
40-0 6th ace
good serve
Andy 7-6(1), 1-2

Andy serving
15-0
30-0 Andy's drop shot forces error
40-0 good serve
40-15 3rd double fault
good serve
Andy 7-6(1), 2-2

Safin serving
15-0
15-15
30-15 BH dtl just out
40-15
ace
Andy 7-6(1), 2-3

Andy serving
30-15
40-15
game
Andy 7-6(1), 3-3

Safin serving
15-0 BH drop shot
30-0 good serve
40-0 good serve to Andy's BH
40-15 deep FH
game
Andy 7-6(1), 3-4

Andy serving
15-0 netted FH
30-0 BH long, a racquet smashing
40-0
BH top-spin
Andy 7-6(1), 4-4

Safin serving
0-15
15-15 Andy's FH just wide, Andy arguing
30-15 smash winner
40-15
Andy 7-6(1), 4-5

Andy serving
15-0 Safin almost win this point but he slips in the forecourt
30-0 Safin's error
40-0 ace
ace
Andy 7-6(1), 5-5

Safin serving
15-0 ace
15-15 BH volley wide
30-15 FH into the corner
40-15 good serve
40-30 FH wide , frustrating
ace
Andy 7-6(1), 5-6

Andy serving
0-15 FH wide
15-15 FH winner
30-15 13th ace
40-15 superb BH volley
ace
Andy 7-6(1), 6-6

Tie-break
Safin serves first
1*-0
Safin 3-0
Safin 5-0
Safin 7-0

Safin wins 2nd set 7-6(0)

Mary L
10-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Go Andy!!!

star
10-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Neely! Thanks so much for the scores. :kiss:

4 all in the third from livescore.

J. Corwin
10-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Andy wins in 7-6 6-7 7-6 (with 1, 0, and 2 in the TBs)!! :eek:

Finally Andy wins a nail-biting close one! :yeah:

No loss of serve by either player, very nice match. And it's nice entertainment to follow the scores while I'm doing my late night (er..early morning :scared: reading :lol: )

Wooooooooooot!

MissFairy
10-02-2004, 01:12 PM
oh my gosh yayyyy

pieross
10-02-2004, 01:14 PM
good job Andy!!!
good luck in the Final!!fingers crossed!

Neely
10-02-2004, 01:15 PM
here's how the third set went so you don't have to go through the almost 50 ( :lol: ) pages in the scoring thread for details ;)

credits go to Prodigy for perfect coverage :clap2:

3rd set

Andy serving
0-15
15-15
15-30
30-30
30-40 FH wide
deuce FH dtl
adv Andy - netted FH
deuce FH wide
adv Andy - FH volley
deuce - neted BH drop shot
adv Andy - good serve
game - netted FH
Andy 7-6(1), 6-7(0), 1-0

Safin serving
15-0 BH pass
15-15 FH long
30-15 ace dtm
40-15 netted BH
return long
Andy 7-6(1), 6-7(0), 1-1

Andy serving
15-0
30-0 FH wide after rally
40-0
40-15 (5th) double fault
game - BH just long
Andy 7-6(1), 6-7(0), 2-1

Safin serving
0-15 good return
15-15 (12th) ace dtm
30-15 13th ace
40-15 FH long
good serve
Andy 7-6(1), 6-7(0), 2-2

Andy serving
0-15 Andy's error
15-15
30-15 BH very wide
40-15 FH winner from the forecourt
good serve
Andy 7-6(1), 6-7(0), 3-2

Safin serving
0-15 net attack
0-30 FH long
15-30 half-volley drop
30-30 Andy's error
40-30 FH crosscourt
deuce - strong FH forces error
adv Safin - Andy's return out
netted FH
Andy 7-6(1), 6-7(0), 3-3

Andy serving
15-0 Safin's error
15-15 BH slice wide
30-15 good serve
40-15 Safin's FH unforced error
good serve to the body
Andy 7-6(1), 6-7(0), 4-3

Safin serving
15-0 smash winner
30-0 Andy's error
40-0 14th ace
15th ace
Andy 7-6(1), 6-7(0), 4-4
no break so far.

Andy serving
15-0 BH long
30-0 15th ace
40-0 deep FH
game - netted volley
Andy 7-6(1), 6-7(0), 5-4
almost 2hr of play

Safin serving
15-0 good serve & smash
30-0 netted FH
40-0 BH return long
ace
Andy 7-6(1), 6-7(0), 5-5

Andy serving
15-0 16th ace
30-0
40-0
40-15 BH dtl long
40-30 BH long
good serve
Andy 7-6(1), 6-7(0), 6-5

Safin serving
15-0 - 17th ace
15-15 netted FH
30-15 - 18th ace
40-15 good serve dtm
FH volley
Andy 7-6(1), 6-7(0), 6-6

Andy serve first
1-0
Andy 2-0 FH dtl
Andy 3-0 FH dtl
Andy 4-0 netted BH dtl
Andy 5-0
Andy 7-2

J. Corwin
10-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Thanks Neely :) These posts are great for those who haven't followed the match. :cool:

And you're right, those 50-odd pages were bad, but it was fun for me to refresh and read. :)

Vass
10-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Sincerest congrats to the Duck and his fans. WHAT A MATCH THAT WAS.
I think that he might just gather enough confidence to beat Fed tomorrow.

star
10-02-2004, 01:19 PM
:kiss: Vass.

Sweet of you to post here after a disappointing loss. :wavey:

Your guy lost, but you seriously must be thrilled that Marat seems to have turned things around. He's done a lot of winning in these last two weeks and he took Andy to the limit today. It looks very encouraging for Marat. :)

BelgianWaffle
10-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Sincerest congrats to the Duck and his fans. WHAT A MATCH THAT WAS.
I think that he might just gather enough confidence to beat Fed tomorrow.

He damn well better after beating my beloved Oaf in such fashion ;)
Congrats to andy and hope he wins tomorrow :devil:

BelgianWaffle
10-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Yep, all Marat fans can't be too disappointed. At least he didn't give up. But we would've just liked to see him beat a top player, he still hasn't done that.
Better luck next time ;)

Mary L
10-02-2004, 01:22 PM
thank you very much Neely for the score. Andy is THE BEST!!!!!

star
10-02-2004, 01:23 PM
:hug: Yeah. It's always disappointing right after a loss........ particularly when he came so close. But, he looks to be on the right track just as the indoor season is beginning. :)

J. Corwin
10-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks Vass. Very nice of you. :)

I do think Marat is on the upturn and he will make a lot of noise in 2005. :)

star
10-02-2004, 01:26 PM

Finally Andy wins a nail-biting close one! :yeah:

No loss of serve by either player, very nice match. And it's nice entertainment to follow the scores while I'm doing my late night (er..early morning :scared: reading :lol: )

Wooooooooooot!

ohmygod. Andy lost a tiebreak at LOVE??? :eek: :eek:

J. Corwin
10-02-2004, 01:28 PM
ohmygod. Andy lost a tiebreak at LOVE??? :eek: :eek:

yes he did!!! :o very uncharacteristic!

but hey at at least he was able to win the other breakers very convincingly. Maybe it was a momentary brain fart.

merle
10-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi and congrats to all Andy fans! Well done Andy! And like Vass said WHAT A MATCH!!! :eek: Lovely morning for you, Star! :) Thanks for your kind words once again and yeah, Marat can be proud too and confident with his game at the moment! So can Andy! I hope he'll do well in European indoor tourneys now!

star
10-02-2004, 01:44 PM
yes he did!!! :o very uncharacteristic!

but hey at at least he was able to win the other breakers very convincingly. Maybe it was a momentary brain fart.

Brain implosion more likely. :lol:

heya
10-02-2004, 01:53 PM
What's he doing 3 feet behind the baseline & giving up in the tiebreak?!

Unnecessary volleys & slice. Many double faults.

So passive!
Allowed 10-18 aces a match! Mentally weak & slow wuss!!!
Not enough angles & drop shots to create break chances.
Bullcrap coaching again.

merle
10-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Heya angry as usual! Brighten up! It's gonna be a BIG day and a HUGE match tomorrow! I hope Andy will fight like he did today! :) Don't you think it was also because Marat played pretty well today!

Toppu
10-02-2004, 02:20 PM
congrats Duck's fans.

He's now in the finals of Thailand Open.
Please enjoy my own pix. I'll upload more to my Yahoo! Photos. See the link in my signature.

star
10-02-2004, 02:22 PM
:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

THANK YOU!!

PinkFeatherBoa
10-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the nice words from the Marat fans, good luck to your man for the rest of the season. :) Also thanks for the lovely pictures Toppu.

Well done to Andy... best of luck in the final against Roger. :scared: ;)

zoltan83
10-02-2004, 02:40 PM

:woohoo: Well done Andy... It was very close.
And congrats to Marat too.

heya
10-02-2004, 02:41 PM
He's too tired. He still could lose the #2 ranking & collapse the rest of the year. There are no matches to watch. That's why I didn't enjoy this tight win.

Havok
10-02-2004, 02:47 PM
:smoke: I want to see this match NOW!!!:fiery: Sounds like an awesome match, I wanna see those 2 forehand dtl hots from And in the final set tie-breaker.:drool: Love those shots. Tough match, and yes Safin does seem to be on the right track. I hope he can keep his level of play up though and not get affected by this loss (I doubt he will). It's a good thing I didn't make any predictions about the finals.:p

tangerine_dream
10-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Congrats to Andy on beating Marat. Sounds like it was a doozy of a match. :eek: I'll have to get this one on tape some day. :)

Check out my "Embarassed Idiots" thread in GM. I didn't think it was possible to show more what complete morons Dirk and Fedex are but they do it so well without any help from me. Still, it's fun to embarass them. Get ready for the "ban Tangy" thread to be revived. :lol:

Anyway, I'm going away to a baby shower this weekend so please root hard for Andy for me!! Bye, see you guys soon. :kiss: :wavey:

Jennay
10-02-2004, 02:57 PM
:eek: Go Andy, sounds like a great match! I'll have to try to find this one.
And congrats to the Marat fans, your guy had a great couple of tournaments :yeah: I hope he can consistently start playing this well :)

Aww bye Tangy :wavey: Have fun!

heya
10-02-2004, 03:31 PM
How embarrassing.
Speaking of repetitive,
the abusive, lying trolls whined
because even when he played poorly, he still made
every match difficult for their favorite players! How sad.:baby:
1 of the boastful trolls has nothing to do but lurk in this forum.

Deboogle!.
10-02-2004, 03:47 PM
um. ohmygosh:eek: I really really did think Andy was going to lose this convincingly... THREE TIEBREAKS???? be still my heart lmfao

This is a huge win for Andy. He needed one of these over a top player, even in a little tournament like this. Even after he loses to Fed again tomorrow, this should really make him feel good. Love tiebreaker loss aside, I am so proud :)

Oh and I'm with Naldo, I want to see this match NOW!!!

This is after just winning a point in the first set TB.... must've been a good one to rile Andy up like that :p
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20041002/i/r3298384871.jpg

overhead smash :cool:
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20041002/i/r2631128118.jpg

uhhhhh what's he doing?
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041002/capt.xbk11110021230.thailand_open_xbk111.jpg