Can Federer Have An Agassi Like Career In His 30s? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can Federer Have An Agassi Like Career In His 30s?

Xavier7
01-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Do You think Federer can do as well as Agassi did after he hit 30 or even better, and win at least another 4 slams.

I think he definitely can.
I say he will be top 5 until 2015 and his slam total will be at least 20 at the bare minimum.

Sapeod
01-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Yes, he can. He has showed no signs of getting any worse. He'll have some bad losses every now and then but he will be solid until he retires. When he does retire, he will probably be ranked inside the top 20.

Johnny Groove
01-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I dunno about 20 at a bare minimum.

21 tops.

Federer can have an Agassi-like career in his 30's, but he has to stay in shape. That's it pretty much.

Jimnik
01-21-2011, 09:43 PM
If he gets to play mugs like Clement and Schuettler in slam finals.

Shirogane
01-21-2011, 09:51 PM
I hope so. He relies more on movement than Andre did but he's also got a better serve.

coonster14
01-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Definitely possible, and as weird as this may sound, but the last 3, 4 months, he seems more sure of himself when he's on the court, before he hired Annacone. Just my observation.

tests
01-21-2011, 10:11 PM
everyone and their mothers were questioning federers motivation. Would he still be motivated after winning 16 grand slams? I am sure federer proved the haters wrong in the past 5-6 months.

If federer stays motivated and in shape, the only people i see stopping fed is nadal. If nadal is in a gs final, fed probably wont win it, but if its anyone else, feds got a great chance.

Ibracadabra
01-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Of course he can, injury took alot out of agassi. With rogers near perfect health for his entire career it will stand him in good shape for the remainder of his career however long he wants to continue.

SetSampras
01-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Maybe maybe not. Fed doesn't seem like the type of guy who will settle for anything less then being in or around the top and winning. He won't stay around as long as Andre anyways. If he can still go and has a chance at the slams in 2-3 years maybe. But after 2012 he may just call it quits. Especially if Nadal is still around dominating. Fed is only getting older, not better and nadal is in the prime-best years of his career. If nadal continues to dominate and Fed realizes he cant stop him, he wont stick around.. His ego is too big and he dominated for so long at the top, anything less is unbearable for the guy for sure

allpro
01-21-2011, 10:32 PM
it all depends on if he still enjoys playing. physically there should be no problem.

tests
01-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Maybe maybe not. Fed doesn't seem like the type of guy who will settle for anything less then being in or around the top and winning. He won't stay around as long as Andre anyways. If he can still go and has a chance at the slams in 2-3 years maybe. But after 2012 he may just call it quits. Especially if Nadal is still around dominating. Fed is only getting older, not better and nadal is in the prime-best years of his career. If nadal continues to dominate and Fed realizes he cant stop him, he wont stick around.. His ego is too big and he dominated for so long at the top, anything less is unbearable for the guy for sure

he is afterall, one of the greats. And to be honest, your acting like nadals going to be making finals of every slam for the next 2-3 years. I do not know if that is likely... federer will capitalize.

Roamed
01-21-2011, 10:54 PM

This article contains some nice quotes from Roger on the subject of motivation:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/roger-federer-thrill-of-the-chase-20110116-19sid.html

"I really feel like I'm passed all of those [days of] trying to prove, having to show, having to beat, all those little things. I feel like I've achieved so much and I'd like to achieve so much more, still, and I'm so eager and motivated and I'm really enjoying it."

''I just knew that I wasn't the player I can be, I was just a step slow, and I knew 'something's wrong'. Maybe I should have just said 'you know what, I'm not playing until I'm 100 per cent', but that's not me - I don't care if I lose a few matches too many. I'd rather face the music and just go out there and get hit on the head and at least I know where I'm at."

SetSampras
01-21-2011, 11:07 PM
he is afterall, one of the greats. And to be honest, your acting like nadals going to be making finals of every slam for the next 2-3 years. I do not know if that is likely... federer will capitalize.

I don't expect Nadal to win every slam for the next 2-3 years but you have to expect him to win the MAJORITY especially grass and clay and can't expect Fed to keep his results passed this year or next. He doesn't have the stranglehold on the hardcourt slams of course but Djokovic and Murray are still at their best on hardcourts, and you never know there maybe finally someone else who gets into the into the mix with the top 4. Fed isn't getting better, only getting older and you can't expect him to dominate and win slam after slam.

And even though he is giving alot of lip service to the media, Im sorry I just can't see Fed ACCEPTING just sitting there watching all the younger bucks winning the slams while he continues to decline with age.

I can see Fed winning 1-2 more slams reasonably, but to continue to play well into his 30s, only to see his skills decline, see his results decline and watch everyone else win slams? 5-9 more years of that? Fed is not going to do that.

Agassi performed well into his 30s but people also FORGET, he took a 3 year hiatus which actually helped him. But what he was accomplishing in his 30s, he should have been accomplishing in his 30s. Another thing people forget that the two Australian Opens Agassi on his 30s consisted of CRAP DRAWS. If he would have saw some great players on the other side of the net he probably wouldn't have won a slam after the 2000 Australian Open when he was 29 years old. Today the field is better then it was in 2001 and 2003. Fed has also been carrying the burden being at the top the last 6-7 years without a break. Agassi is an exception to the rule, not the rule.

sco
01-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Yes. Don't know if he'll win 4 but unless it's Nadal across the net in GS finals, chances are he's going to win. His game is fluid so his health/injuries shouldn't be a problem. He'll get his chances (lucky) if he keeps playing. I'm glad he got married and had kids - puts tennis in perspective - he won't get down on himself too much and keep playing. It's another 4-5 years before the kids need to be in school or he can hire tutors.

Xavier7
01-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Maybe maybe not. Fed doesn't seem like the type of guy who will settle for anything less then being in or around the top and winning. He won't stay around as long as Andre anyways. If he can still go and has a chance at the slams in 2-3 years maybe. But after 2012 he may just call it quits.

I think he'll play til 35 provided he still believes he can win slams, even if its only one slam a year.

Don't think a retirement in 2012 is on the cards at all now, as I think he'll still stay top 3 or 4 by then and win 2 or 3 slams from now til the end of 2012.

Mjau!
01-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Only if he dopes as much.

Reported! :(

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
01-22-2011, 02:03 AM
i think it rests on 2 things

Agassi had a near PERFECT groundstroke balance. maybe slightly stronger backhand but his forehand was awesome- there was no weakness in his groundies

federer has a huge weakness, his backhand isn't consistent, it was never consistent except in his prime. from mid-2007 onwards its been a huge liability

but federer is healthier and has better movement, more athletic ability, even in his mid 30s his movement will be as good as anyone in the top 20.

both had impeccable timing, which was a huge point- taking the ball on the rise is the hardest thing to do in tennis- agassi federer davydenko have done it best in the last 10 years... all of them could play into their 30s because of it

Federer's serve has improved year after year, in fact- the only aspect of federer's game BETTER than 2006 is his 1st and 2nd serve's. they are BIG... and clutch...

Federer's in the twilight of his career but fact is, he is going to be a huge force at the slams at least untill the end of 2012... baring any serious injury- his effortless game allows it

this idea of nadal dominating the way fed did is stupid- his legs have mileage on them- he needs to win everything this year and next because his game will suffer BIGTIME when the legs start to go... if you notice uncle toni- he is already working on extending rafa's career- starting with a bigger serve- shortening points, and getting closer to the baseline. but i dont think anyone expects nadal to be a major force in his 30s... maybe on clay, and even then clay demands stamina and when the legs start to go, clay is the toughest of all surfaces to win on

philosophicalarf
01-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Reported! :(

Yeah, it's totally natural for someone to get bigger and faster as they go well into their 30s.

He'd already tested positive and it was covered up, so not exactly much to fear.

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2011, 03:32 AM
Well, we all know Agassi doped. He admitted that in his pathetic autobiography.

Is that what it takes to make it over 30?

Let's see how well Federer ages...

cool bird1
01-22-2011, 03:41 AM
Im not sure. I have always had this thought that after 2012 we could see then end of Roger. And I do worry about his back. I know its ok at the moment but it has been affectting him for a few years now. So after 2012 Im going to take it month by month

tests
01-22-2011, 05:12 AM
I don't expect Nadal to win every slam for the next 2-3 years but you have to expect him to win the MAJORITY especially grass and clay and can't expect Fed to keep his results passed this year or next. He doesn't have the stranglehold on the hardcourt slams of course but Djokovic and Murray are still at their best on hardcourts, and you never know there maybe finally someone else who gets into the into the mix with the top 4. Fed isn't getting better, only getting older and you can't expect him to dominate and win slam after slam.

And even though he is giving alot of lip service to the media, Im sorry I just can't see Fed ACCEPTING just sitting there watching all the younger bucks winning the slams while he continues to decline with age.

I can see Fed winning 1-2 more slams reasonably, but to continue to play well into his 30s, only to see his skills decline, see his results decline and watch everyone else win slams? 5-9 more years of that? Fed is not going to do that.

Agassi performed well into his 30s but people also FORGET, he took a 3 year hiatus which actually helped him. But what he was accomplishing in his 30s, he should have been accomplishing in his 30s. Another thing people forget that the two Australian Opens Agassi on his 30s consisted of CRAP DRAWS. If he would have saw some great players on the other side of the net he probably wouldn't have won a slam after the 2000 Australian Open when he was 29 years old. Today the field is better then it was in 2001 and 2003. Fed has also been carrying the burden being at the top the last 6-7 years without a break. Agassi is an exception to the rule, not the rule.

imho, i can see fed winning 1 slam this year, 1 slam next year. After that, probably 1 more random slam. Not too shabby if you ask me!

tests
01-22-2011, 05:15 AM
The thing with fed though, he seems like a very smart guy when it comes to managing his body. If he is injured, he probably wont play that many tournies and whatnot.

Also, i truly believe that federer wants his girls to get a taste of TMF and see him win atleast a few more slams as memories. I think thats his motivation right there. It also would not hurt if fed could even the score with nadal in GS finals (highly doubt it though)

shiaben
01-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Hard to say, he has back spasms currently.

Mjau!
01-26-2011, 04:01 AM
Yeah, it's totally natural for someone to get bigger and faster as they go well into their 30s.

He'd already tested positive and it was covered up, so not exactly much to fear.

Not for something that makes you "bigger and faster", which means you are VIOLATING THE FORUM RULES! :eek: :(

Shirogane
01-26-2011, 11:54 AM
You have a point here, but it shows that the biggest names in the game can do whatever they please knowing nothing will happen to them...