Do you think booing a player should be part of the game? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Do you think booing a player should be part of the game?

mystic ice cube
01-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I remember looking at a match with Andy Murray a good while back and he was having a really off day. Got beaten in two straight sets and only about 3 games to his name. The British fans started booing him near the end. Do you think this is acceptable? Would you boo your favorite player if you had payed your dosh only to see him playing awful?

Orka_n
01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Only time it is okay in my eyes is when a player is behaving like a jerk towards officials or towards the other player.

Too boo a player that just has an off day game wise is unacceptable and completely retarded.

oranges
01-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Unless they've done something to actually deserve the booing, no, not unless you're competing for the tool award. Playing bad does not qualify. Basically some kind of unsportsmanlike and/or toolish behavior by the player is the only thing that comes to mind.

tennis2tennis
01-21-2011, 04:31 PM
I always felt that tennis fans booed in all the wrong moments…like in RG (where hawk-eye isn’t in use) players are booed for having a look at the place where the ball landed…I always think why the fuck boo a player ensuring the call was right…

What I would like to see is fans booing a player cheating/bad behaviour ….i.e. if they’re caught communicating with their box / fist pumping on an opponents double fault/taking gazonks to serve or grunting loudly...it might force the idiot umpiring to do their job

As for booing a poor performance not sure there could be problems they’re unaware of so I’ll sit on the fence on that one!

Allez
01-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Booing in tennis should result in the perpetrator being thrown out. This is a gentlemen's sport. No hooliganism allowed...

Johnny Groove
01-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Well I paid my good money to sit in the stands and if I feel the player deserves to be booed, then damn it, I will boo.

oranges
01-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Well I paid my good money to sit in the stands and if I feel the player deserves to be booed, then damn it, I will boo.

The question being when do you think they deserve to be booed? You subscribe to OP's theory if you're simply not happy with their performance, boo away?

Johnny Groove
01-21-2011, 04:44 PM
The question being when do you think they deserve to be booed? You subscribe to OP's theory if you're simply not happy with their performance, boo away?

Well it is situational.

If I feel like a player is simply getting destroyed by a much better opponent, ok, I can understand a beatdown. But if I feel a player isn't giving his best effort, then I will boo away.

Another case would be if a player pulls out some Robredo-like unsportsmanlike conduct, in which I will boo as well. I've never been at a match where Roddick chews out an umpire, but if I was at that Kohli-Roddick match in 2008 AO, I'd boo Roddick. I may be a fan of the guy, but he can be a massively condescending prick at times, and I can't stand that type of behavior, especially since Roddick is quiet as a mouse when he plays Federer or Nadal. Classic bully who bullies the lower guys and is a little angel when the big boys roll around.

Allez
01-21-2011, 04:59 PM
All of those are subjective criteria. I can think of a few posters on MTF who'd happily boo Nadal for "moonballing". Of course the moonball stuff is pure and utter BS, but from their point of view it might be a booable offense to "moonball". Where does it stop. Kick all them booers out...

Fujee
01-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Yes they can Boo, but as stated only in the correct moments - When a player is in the wrong, swears, confronts or attacks officials (serena lol), continually stops play, insults or provokes opponents etc..

Still, if you are going to boo, do it with respect - it shouldn't be malacious and hateful. Tennis is a sport based on decorum.

Allez
01-21-2011, 05:14 PM
In that case, the ATP should hand out a list of all booable offences to everyone attending each tournament and they should prosecute those who stray outside the established and published guidelines :yeah:

oranges
01-21-2011, 05:19 PM
In that case, the ATP should hand out a list of all booable offences to everyone attending each tournament and they should prosecute those who stray outside the established and published guidelines :yeah:

That will be a ticket seller move :yeah: 'We don't trust you to behave yourself, we have to give you idiot's guide' could also serve as excellent marketing motto for entire tour.

peribsen
01-21-2011, 05:29 PM
I think anyone booing a player should be booed by everyone else until he is forced to leave the court.
Tennis is a lonely game, you're out there for hours on end, facing the crowd with nowhere to hide. Booing a player is an act of cowardice.
Only acceptable exception would be if a player behaves in a way that is unequivocally disgraceful, like abusing a line judge (Roddick comes to mind) or being rude with a ballboy. In most other cases (like Soderling seeming to lie outright), one should consider the possibility of a player being genuinely mistaken.

Allez
01-21-2011, 05:32 PM
I think anyone booing a player should be booed by everyone else until he is forced to leave the court.
Tennis is a lonely game, you're out there for hours on end, facing the crowd with nowhere to hide. Booing a player is an act of cowardice.
Only acceptable exception would be if a player behaves in a way that is unequivocally disgraceful, like abusing a line judge (Roddick comes to mind) or being rude with a ballboy. In most other cases (like Soderling seeming to lie outright), one should consider the possibility of a player being genuinely mistaken.

+ 1

Henry Chinaski
01-21-2011, 05:36 PM
boo tankers

and wankers

Chartreuse
01-21-2011, 05:36 PM
It's human instinct. Inevitable.

Allez
01-21-2011, 05:39 PM
An alternative to kicking a booer out is handing them a tennis racquet and have them try their luck against the player of their derision. See if they can handle a body serve :zzz:

Yappa
01-21-2011, 08:24 PM
I always felt that tennis fans booed in all the wrong moments…like in RG (where hawk-eye isn’t in use) players are booed for having a look at the place where the ball landed…I always think why the fuck boo a player ensuring the call was right…

True, that always ticks me off. The player has every right to check a call/ask the umpire for advice, etc.
But many ppl simply boo to support "their" player and get under the skin of the other one.

shiaben
01-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah, it makes the game more mentally challenging ;).

FormerRafaFan
01-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Booing is so unnecessary! I mean, I can understand the crowd booing a player if he behaves badly or something. But booing him just because he's not your favorite player? That is just stupid imo. Like what the french crowd do to Nadal under Roland Garros, booing just because he's Spanish:rolleyes: This is a gentleman's sport. Booing doesn't really fit in..

Geo
01-21-2011, 08:52 PM
I would only boo if:

-a player is cheating or showing unsportsmanlike conduct
-a player is being disrespectful to an umpire, linesperson or ballkid
-a player is clearly tanking/not giving his/her best in a match

I wouldn't boo if a player is simply getting his/her ass kicked, a player is injured and getting beaten easily or if a player is trying hard but is just having an off-day :shrug:

Nathaliia
01-21-2011, 09:04 PM
I would boo if I had a bet on that match and wanted to discourage one of the players :clap2:

abraxas21
01-21-2011, 09:06 PM
i prefer to shout racial epithets. that seems to get them more.

coonster14
01-21-2011, 09:31 PM
No, not unless there is a good reason for it.

eg. Roddick behaving like the biggest prick in the world sometimes (remember that childish rant about an umpire leaving school when he was 10 or something like that :retard:)

Roddickominator
01-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Booing is fine. These guys are professional tennis players...if they get their feelings hurt from being booed(i'm looking at you, Djokovic), then they need to toughen up a bit.

ossie
01-21-2011, 10:37 PM
why not just stone them to death when they lose :rolleyes:

Roddickominator
01-21-2011, 10:47 PM
You gotta be a real drama queen to compare a voicing of displeasure by booing....to killing someone with rocks. MTF logic at its finest.

Pirata.
01-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Like others have said, only when a player is truly being an asshole. The crowd last night booing Venus was just disgusting, she wanted to give her best and play, but she was in too much pain to continue, and for the crowd to boo her was just :o

Nole fan
01-22-2011, 12:51 AM
I find booing in general unacceptable. Booers are idiots basically.

peribsen
01-22-2011, 01:03 AM
I would only boo if:
-a player is cheating or showing unsportsmanlike conduct
-a player is being disrespectful to an umpire, linesperson or ballkid
-a player is clearly tanking/not giving his/her best in a match
I wouldn't boo if a player is simply getting his/her ass kicked, a player is injured and getting beaten easily or if a player is trying hard but is just having an off-day :shrug:

But how do you know -I mean positively know- that someone is malingering or tanking? What if they really are having some problem, even if it is not obvious enough to force them to withdraw?
Was Djoko inventing excuses when he said something had gone into his eye but the doc couldn't find anything wrong (WTF 2010)? Or maybe something had really gotten behind his contact lenses?

I muchprefer to give the player the benefit of the doubt, because I would feel terrible if I later found out I had been unfair with him.

Nole fan
01-22-2011, 01:10 AM
But how do you know -I mean positively know- that someone is malingering or tanking? What if they really are having some problem, even if it is not obvious enough to force them to withdraw?
Was Djoko inventing excuses when he said something had gone into his eye but the doc couldn't find anything wrong (WTF 2010)? Or maybe something had really gotten behind his contact lenses?

I muchprefer to give the player the benefit of the doubt, because I would feel terrible if I later found out I had been unfair with him.

Djoko's coach explained that incident two days later but not many people could hear it then. Apparently he put two lenses in one eye and that was blurring his vision. Lenses are so thin you can't really tell. So when the doctor took a look he didn't see what the problem was. Nole didn't know either. He found out much later. When he went to the toilet to change the lens he just took one out and put the new one over the first, so he still had two lenses in one eye. :haha:

fast_clay
01-22-2011, 01:16 AM
would you complain if someone shit in your ice cream...?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/poo-smear-on-sydney-hotel/story-e6freooo-1111117862952

if money is exchange for goods and services, and the quality of that product has not met expectations - especially when you pay good money to see all the tools a Tradesman has in his toolbelt - then, the public have right to voice their concern...

fortunately for the buying public, their can voice their displeasure and some degree of satisfaction can be pretty much instant, by sending a vast amount of collected negative energy into the psyche of the player delivering a failed product...

i would go as far to say the common people should have the right to directly ask a player 'what the f*** was that shit?' because the press mostly do a sh!thouse job...

Say Hey Kid
01-22-2011, 02:17 AM
Usually not, but some behavior warrants booing. Hanescu's behavior at Wimbledon a prime example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PfGVF6CBFQ