Who else thinks that Lleyton Hewitt should just retire? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who else thinks that Lleyton Hewitt should just retire?

lleytonfan!
01-21-2011, 08:50 AM
I haven't had internet access for a few days, so haven't got to post on Lleyton's loss, so I am doing it now. Lleyton has had a very good career, winning 29 titles, 2 slams, making 2 other slam finals, and the number 1 ranking. That match was his for the taking the other night. He had 4 points to go up two breaks, which surely would have been the match. He then had 2 match points in the fifth set. If he had just run and anticipated the half-volley, he probably would have won the match. You just can't lose like that against anyone, with such great opportunity. I know that he currently has no intentions of retiring any time soon, but I think that he should.

Mimi
01-21-2011, 09:01 AM
you are angry and sad. No, i don't think he should retire, he is not that bad :hug:

tennisgolfguru
01-21-2011, 09:25 AM
yes he should retire - he is embarassing himself

coasterman9
01-21-2011, 09:30 AM
I think he has at least 1 more year left in him, but he is definitely close. Injuries have helped that as well IMO.

oranges
01-21-2011, 09:33 AM
yes he should retire - he is embarassing himself

He's embarrassing himself by playing the best match of the first week of AO? Go figure.

Jozie
01-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Why should a player ranked 54 in the world retire? :confused:
He only just won a tournament last week, beating the 12th ranked player in the world.
Should he manage to fight off injuries, he will surely improve his ranking this year.
So, he's not going to win another GS, but certainly with the hard work he has put recently, improve to within Top 30?

tennisgolfguru
01-21-2011, 09:49 AM
He's embarrassing himself by playing the best match of the first week of AO? Go figure.
two has-beens playing old tennis - long and close does not equal quality

Crow_Boy
01-21-2011, 09:53 AM
I've seen all of Lleyton's seven matches this year and trust me he looks 10x better this year then he has in the last two years, yes he had 2 match points against Nalby but every player does that. Saying he should retire is a very stupid thing to say. If he dosen't get any injuries this year he will return to atleast top 20 but im going as far to say top 15, he looks great.

tennisgolfguru
01-21-2011, 10:00 AM
There is no way Hewitt ever gets close to the top 20 - not going to happen - he might hover in the top 50 but no better than that - he does not have the game to compete anymore - if his game was more like Fed's it would be a different story but his old-style game just is not going to go anywhere aqainst the younger guys who have not spent half their careers having surgeries.

oranges
01-21-2011, 10:06 AM
two has-beens playing old tennis - long and close does not equal quality

It's still the best match played so far, no matter how you want to spin it otherwise. I'd say you're far more embarrassing yourslef here.

ApproachShot
01-21-2011, 10:10 AM
After next week, it will certainly look a bit strange to see him sandwiched between Mannarino and Riba in the rankings (he will even be ranked 3 places below Berlocq) but I don't think that is an accurate reflection of his standing right at this moment in time. That match with Nalbandian could have gone either way and had Hewitt won, he probably would have been able to navigate past his opponent in the next round as well.

Also, I am all for supporting a tennis player to continue so long as they enjoy being on the tour. When former champions such as Hewitt decide to play on for the love of the game then that is surely a positive thing, for their results now are not going to diminish their past successes. Yes, perceptions of them may be somewhat clouded amongst fans who have only started to watch the game recently, but anybody who appreciates the history of the game will look back on their career achievements as whole - not the level they were playing at just prior to retirement.

iriraz
01-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Hewitt won slams,Davis Cup,has been number 1 years ago.Last couple of years he only had to deal with injury setbacks and certainly he is no longer a real threat in slams.He proved last year he can win some smaller tourney but the days when he was consistent throughout the season are long gone.I wonder what`s his motivation to go on?If he thinks just by beating Federer in Halle is a good motive to continue believing he can be competitive in slams then he should rethink his decisions.

Crow_Boy
01-21-2011, 10:36 AM
There is no way Hewitt ever gets close to the top 20 - not going to happen - he might hover in the top 50 but no better than that - he does not have the game to compete anymore - if his game was more like Fed's it would be a different story but his old-style game just is not going to go anywhere aqainst the younger guys who have not spent half their careers having surgeries.

You obviously no nothing about any other tennis player accept Federer and Wawrinka, don't know if you know then Federer is number 2 in the world so if Hewitt had a game like Fed then he would be around that ranking, Hewitt will and i mean will return to around 20 unless he gets injured again, he can still beat Soderling, Berdych, Roddick, Ferrer and alot of other players inside the top 20 the only players who i think he can't beat is the top 4 in Murray, Novak, Federer and Rafa. So shooosh.

leng jai
01-21-2011, 10:37 AM
You should retire from posting, but I know you won't until you get an ACC title under your belt.

Crow_Boy
01-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Are you talking to me?

Jaz
01-21-2011, 10:49 AM
You need to read this: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=141991

And then learn never to post things like that again.

Hewitt =Legend
01-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Really? We're going through this again :rolleyes:

ossie
01-21-2011, 12:25 PM
he should have retired years ago when real players came along who showed they could actually beat federer. same counts for mugdick

nalbyfan
01-21-2011, 12:31 PM
If a player should retire each time he loses in first round...so Gulbis, Chardy, Leo Mayer should retire too and many other players as well. I guess Hewitt will be ready for next tourney and will probably beat another good players in his career. He had a bad draw in AO 2011, nothing more

Xavier7
01-21-2011, 12:54 PM
I predict he'll finish this year ranked around 30 in the world.
He will then retire at the Australian Open 2012.
Theres no reason for him to retire before he wants to ofc.

abraxas21
01-21-2011, 02:04 PM
It's still the best match played so far, no matter how you want to spin it otherwise.

that's actually subjective and only amounts to your own opinion.

as for the OP's question, the answer relies on Hewitt himself. He's not playing tennis for you or for his fans and if he truly enjoys the competition and the circuit, then he should keep playing irrespective of his results. besides, didn't he beat fed at halle last year? this year he seems to be playing slightly better so i wouldn't write him off against the big names yet.

GlennMirnyi
01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Why should a player ranked 54 in the world retire? :confused:
He only just won a tournament last week, beating the 12th ranked player in the world.
Should he manage to fight off injuries, he will surely improve his ranking this year.
So, he's not going to win another GS, but certainly with the hard work he has put recently, improve to within Top 30?

Which tournament Hewitt won last week?

oranges
01-21-2011, 03:12 PM
that's actually subjective and only amounts to your own opinion.

Feel free to offer another one.

abraxas21
01-21-2011, 03:22 PM
whats the point? it would still be my opinion. besides, i've only watched a small fraction of the matches during this AO. I'm sure there have been many good ones who weren't even on the tele.

GlennMirnyi
01-21-2011, 03:24 PM
whats the point? it would still be my opinion. besides, i've only watched a small fraction of the matches during this AO. I'm sure there have been many good ones who weren't even on the tele.

Like what? Clownych vs Clownucci? :lol:

oranges
01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm interested in any other you consider better

jmf07
01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
I wish Hewitt would retire just so everyone shuts up about how he should retire. He is still a very good player and although he is not capable of matching it with the best he is still capable of making deep runs if given the right draw and he is still a very handy player on grass. Speculating about his ranking is silly. I think as long as Hewitt stays within the cutoff for Grand Slams (and maybe the Masters but I wouldn't be certain) then he couldn't really care whether he is ranked in the top 20 or not.

Johnny Groove
01-21-2011, 03:26 PM
No chance.

Hewitt is one of the biggest fighters in the history of the game, playing as well as he has in several years, playing the best match of the AO so far, and you think he'll throw in the towel now?

No chance.

abraxas21
01-21-2011, 03:26 PM
glenn, so many clown-nicknames that i actually had to stop for a couple of seconds to realize who are the guys u were referring to :lol:

Allez
01-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Which tournament Hewitt won last week?

Kooyong :shrug: ...please don't go on about its exho status.

Anyway, why should Hewitt retire ? He owned Roger @ Halle last year. I expect him to do very on the green this year. He should continue to plug away. Agassi :shrug:

abraxas21
01-21-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm interested in any other you consider better

truth is i dont even know and don't even care... even if i personally were to think that the nalby-hewitt was the best match of this AO, it would still be just an opinion.

abraxas21
01-21-2011, 03:31 PM
I wish Hewitt would retire just so everyone shuts up about how he should retire. He is still a very good player and although he is not capable of matching it with the best he is still capable of making deep runs if given the right draw and he is still a very handy player on grass. Speculating about his ranking is silly. I think as long as Hewitt stays within the cutoff for Grand Slams (and maybe the Masters but I wouldn't be certain) then he couldn't really care whether he is ranked in the top 20 or not.

i actually think lleyton still has some gas left in the tank

the bloke can still cause an upset or two. don't count him out yet.

oranges
01-21-2011, 03:36 PM
If say 90% of the people agree on an opinion, I'd say that has some weight. And to go back to the original point, even if it was just among 5 best matches (are you going to dispute that one too with similar 'just an opinion' argument?), it still shows Hewitt is capable of putting up a show better than many up and coming or established stars. Hence, the embarrassing himself comment is quite simply ridiculous.

abraxas21
01-21-2011, 03:41 PM
If say 90% of the people agree on an opinion, I'd say that has some weight. And to go back to the original point, even if it was just among 5 best matches (are you going to dispute that one too with similar 'just an opinion' argument?), it still shows Hewitt is capable of putting up a show better than many up and coming or established stars. Hence, the embarrassing himself comment is quite simply ridiculous.

well, opinions held by a majority are still subjective and i can still disagree with them. for example, many many people think that the wimby '08 final was the greatest match ever. hell, i for sure disagree.

i agree that it was a good match and i of course agree that it wasn't embarrassing at all. in fact, i think i expect more from lleyton in the future that most people here.

GlennMirnyi
01-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Kooyong :shrug: ...please don't go on about its exho status.

Anyway, why should Hewitt retire ? He owned Roger @ Halle last year. I expect him to do very on the green this year. He should continue to plug away. Agassi :shrug:

Nobody cares about exhos.

NOBODY.

oranges
01-21-2011, 03:52 PM
i agree that it was a good match and i of course agree that it wasn't embarrassing at all. in fact, i think i expect more from lleyton in the future that most people here.

There, we've come to agree on the point that I was originally making in response to whatever his/her name was ;)