AO R3: Federer beats Malisse 6-3 6-3 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO R3: Federer beats Malisse 6-3 6-3 6-1

LinkMage
01-21-2011, 05:13 AM
Better than last match but still sloppy, especially on serve.

He has to find his serve pronto if he wants to do something in this tournament.

finishingmove
01-21-2011, 05:14 AM
don't know how malisse lost this

frauderer was ridiculously bad

abraxas21
01-21-2011, 05:15 AM
olderer is too old but this was a decent match

bad gambler
01-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Easy one

Fujee
Heat Rash Roger - you saw it here first

habibko
bizarre match that had a strange atmosphere about it, an exhibition one at times, can't complain about the scoreline but Federer's mental showing was weird to say the least :/

BlueSwan
01-21-2011, 05:21 AM
During the last three matches at Doha Federer didn't get broken once, he didn't face a single breakpoint, infact he wasn't even taken to deuce even ONCE on his own serve.

What the hell has happened? He's getting broken left and right here at the AO. Even during his first round demolition job he got broken.

Allez
01-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Roger seemed to be elsewhere mentally...clowning around and just looking out of it. It must be the sun/heat but for the first time he seemed old to me. Still too good for the X-man. I hope Rogi is alright and is not coming down with something :unsure:

tests
hes in a funk. Let him kink out the armor imo

Corey Feldman
All night matches from here on in thanks

Woodbridge tried to pull a Sue Barker in the interview and ask Fed about the swiss 4 badges on his shoes

Fed wise up to it this time "Please dont think i'm cocky"

good answer Fed, pretty sure he knows about the bitching he had to put up with for Wimbledon clothes :lol:

LinkMage
Blue clay.

Could also be the back again. :scared:

rofe
01-21-2011, 05:25 AM
During the last three matches at Doha Federer didn't get broken once, he didn't face a single breakpoint, infact he wasn't even taken to deuce even ONCE on his own serve.

What the hell has happened? He's getting broken left and right here at the AO. Even during his first round demolition job he got broken.

Getting quality opponents in the 1st few rounds. :shrug:

Allez
Why aren't all these threads merged :scratch:

GlennMirnyi
What a competitive match.

NOT!

Arkulari
Roger brainfarted a lot and made tons of UEs :lol:

the only really good parts of his game in this match? the dropshot and the ROS, the rest were :help:

iriraz
01-21-2011, 05:27 AM

U can`t compare one tourney with the other.The conditions are way slower here so u expect Federer to loose serve and break serve more often.In Doha he got one break and the set is over.Here he might loose serve and then break a couple of times

Macbrother
01-21-2011, 05:27 AM
At 2-0 0-30 it became an exho match. Boring.

barbadosan
01-21-2011, 05:28 AM
All night matches from here on in thanks

Woodbridge tried to pull a Sue Barker in the interview and ask Fed about the swiss 4 badges on his shoes

Fed wise up to it this time "Please dont think i'm cocky"

good answer Fed, pretty sure he knows about the bitching he had to put up with for Wimbledon clothes :lol:

Courier waits until NOW to notice the Swiss crosses on his shoes. Haven't they been the motif on his shoes for the last few years at AO and Wimby - can't remember if USO as well

rofe
01-21-2011, 05:28 AM
I can't believe some of you think he is in a funk. This is the 3rd round for crying out loud. He is supposed to be getting his game and rhythm right. :rolleyes:

The match was weird but I am pretty sure he will improve in the next round.

dabeast
01-21-2011, 05:29 AM
They should have played on the practice courts. You could tell there was little thought process on point construction, Roger making goof shots in no desire to win the point, muttering to himself much more than usual, and Xman at the end taking a bow and accepting kudos for escaping bagel (:lol:) Even the handshake, they looked sheepish. The shotmaking was pretty good still.

I'm more concerned about Fed's mental game than his physical one. He was lulled today by the opponent, both their levels had serious dips in each set.

tests
01-21-2011, 05:29 AM
hi expectations for the goat, no?

austyphoon
01-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Courier waits until NOW to notice the Swiss crosses on his shoes. Haven't they been the motif on his shoes for the last few years at AO and Wimby - can't remember if USO as well

How, on EARTH, can you get Jim Courier and Todd Woodbridge mixed up???

Allez
01-21-2011, 05:31 AM
I can't believe some of you think he is in a funk. This is the 3rd round for crying out loud. He is supposed to be getting his game and rhythm right. :rolleyes:

The match was weird but I am pretty sure he will improve in the next round.

It is not just that the tennis was bad...it was his attitude that was really weird. Nonchalant at best :eek:

Wolbo
01-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Federer was in a strange funky mood today but apart from a couple of weird errors he played a pretty good match and practiced all of his shots. Still a joy to watch.

Orka_n
01-21-2011, 05:34 AM
This was an exho until Malisse broke Federer to 3-1 in the second set. From there the atmosphere changed... mainly, Roger got pissed and Malisse thought he had a chance so he got a little serious. But Federer won the next 11 of the next 12 games so it never became competitive.

But we saw a new Roger today: Strangerer. :worship:

castle007
01-21-2011, 05:34 AM
very weird match, especially the first set. Some of the misses that Federer made were bizarre. but then again he made some awesome shots. The whole match felt like an exhibition though. Hopefully Federer will hit the practice courts tomorrow and get the rhythm on the serve.

cheriamor
01-21-2011, 05:35 AM
It is not just that the tennis was bad...it was his attitude that was really weird. Nonchalant at best :eek:

It did seem like he was just going through the motions, lucky for him he can win doing that... but not for long. He needs to get his focus back. If not he won't make it to the finals, sure he will most likely beat Robredo, but higher ranked players may be able to play off his disinterest (or what seems like disinterest to me.)

Nidhogg
01-21-2011, 05:39 AM
I hope these two guys get to play each other again on a faster surface (if there are any left by now) this year. The ease with which both players read and picked the other guys serve at the beginning of the first set was hilarious. :lol:

Allez
01-21-2011, 05:48 AM
I hope these two guys get to play each other again on a faster surface (if there are any left by now) this year. The ease with which both players read and picked the other guys serve at the beginning of the first set was hilarious. :lol:

Apparently they were buddies/ practice partners in Juniors.

castle007
01-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Apparently they were buddies/ practise partners in Juniors.

Yeah, and Malisse used to drop shot Federer all the time when they were young. That explains the ridiculous amount of drop shots Federer hit today. :lol:

Pirata.
01-21-2011, 05:55 AM
But we saw a new Roger today: Strangerer. :worship:

:lol:

So now we have the original Federer, then JesusFed, then Failderer, Federror, CareerGrandSlamerer, Fatherer, Frauderer, Olderer and now Strangerer :p

ApproachShot
01-21-2011, 05:58 AM

So now we have the original Federer, then JesusFed, then Failderer, Federror, CareerGrandSlamerer, Fatherer, Frauderer, Olderer and now Strangerer :p

Not trying to nitpick, but you missed out 'Shankerer' :p

Anyway, as long as Federer plays beterer in his next few matches, that's fine with me.

Arkulari
01-21-2011, 05:58 AM

you forget Shankerer, Federina, Ferd the Turd... :p

Allez
01-21-2011, 06:00 AM

You also missed the stillborn Feduller :D

Polikarpov
01-21-2011, 06:01 AM
And Ninja Fed :bigclap:

Roger was strangely out of sorts today.

ApproachShot
01-21-2011, 06:02 AM
'Grandaderer' was another oversight now I come to think of it. As well as TMF or FedEx.

But I'm sure even that doesn't fully exhaust the long list of alter egos for Roger Federer.

tests
01-21-2011, 06:02 AM
you forgot one that comes to mind when fed plays nadal.. Stubboner

superslam77
01-21-2011, 06:03 AM
you forget Shankerer, Federina, Ferd the Turd... :p

NinjaFed,Federina,FedGod,Youngerer,Federerer,Fedex ,FedExpress.

superslam77
01-21-2011, 06:04 AM
you forgot one that comes to mind when fed plays nadal.. Stubboner

new one Frailerer or Failerer. ;)

no worries if Youngerer beats Oldull Nadold :lol:

Corey Feldman
01-21-2011, 06:13 AM
the Basel Dazzle

Nidhogg
01-21-2011, 06:15 AM
It'd be great to see Xavier continue to to rack up good results and climb further up the rankings this year. The ease with which he plays the game is spectacular, as nonchalant as many may find it. :sport:

Mimi
01-21-2011, 06:19 AM
new one Frailerer or Failerer. ;)

no worries if Youngerer beats Oldull Nadold :lol:

:bigwave::yippee: long time no see, General Maurice:wavey:

Topspindoctor
01-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Luckerer is fortunate he faced mug opponent today. With his current level of tennis, he'll be lucky to make it to SF.

Arkulari
01-21-2011, 06:35 AM
the Basel Dazzle

Mikey :spit: :lol:

barbadosan
01-21-2011, 06:45 AM
How, on EARTH, can you get Jim Courier and Todd Woodbridge mixed up???

Easily, if one is twice your age :) The alternative is, of course, that highly unusual occurrence of thinking one thing and typing reflexively - but I'm sure that's never happened to you :worship:

latso
01-21-2011, 07:03 AM
another exho comming...Boredo 0-9 :rolleyes:

FormerRafaFan
01-21-2011, 07:06 AM
Federer looks strong. Cruising through every match.. well, except for Simon. But Simon is a good player.. I definitely think he has a chance at beating Rafa. Of course I hope that won't happen though.

Foxy
01-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Getting quality opponents in the 1st few rounds. :shrug:

:D :D :D :haha:

No seeded player until QF, man! Put down the crack.

tests
01-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Federer looks strong. Cruising through every match.. well, except for Simon. But Simon is a good player.. I definitely think he has a chance at beating Rafa. Of course I hope that won't happen though.

lets not jump the gun here. How many tournaments have we seen where federer was playing godlike, and then lays an egg vs nadal?

Foxy
01-21-2011, 07:39 AM
another exho comming...Boredo 0-9 :rolleyes:

The cakewalk continues. Keep walking!

BlueSwan
01-21-2011, 08:13 AM
MonoFed, CarbuncleFed, SolidFed, OfficeFed.

Too many to mention really.

A_Skywalker
01-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Malisse is Fedtard, ofcourse he would let Fed rest.

Li Ching Yuen
01-21-2011, 09:02 AM
You guys don't get it. These two are former juniour buddies. They had to do a lot catching up.

henke007
01-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Fed on 50% no problem at all....

Nadull_tard
01-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Fed's serve is really concerning here, I hope it's a temporary problem ,not a serious injury. Thanks to God, Boredo is an another practice boy and shouldn't make any problems.

samanosuke
01-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Don't know what and why but something looks wrong with Roger . Maybe fatigue accumulated in last 3-4 months... ??

Nadull_tard
01-21-2011, 09:24 AM
The cakewalk continues. Keep walking!

As a Nadull" Tough Draw" Tard, you're the last person who's allowed to speak here.

MugDaniel and Ryan "154 km/h" Sweeting sound familiar, clown?

careergrandslam
01-21-2011, 09:36 AM
As a Nadull" Tough Draw" Tard, you're the last person who's allowed to speak here.

MugDaniel and Ryan "154 km/h" Sweeting sound familiar, clown?

whos double account are u?

Orka_n
01-21-2011, 09:41 AM
whos double account are u?Shut up, Topspindoctor #7.

Castafiore
01-21-2011, 09:45 AM
OH FFS, can you guys stop ruining every thread with the tard-pissing contests?

Expected defeat for Malisse but all in all, not a bad result for him in the AO.

Nadull_tard
01-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Your level of blindness is just unbelievable, If you dare to reproach Federer's draw.

HKz
01-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Oh MTF, a win is a win. Why should or would he peak in the first 3 rounds? He is doing just enough to get through to save his body/tennis for the latter stages of the tournament. Clearly all great players do this. Of course, it is a bit counterproductive if he allows the match to go 5 sets like he did with Simon, but that is the tough part about trying to figure out how much you want to put yourself in the match early on.

Fact is, he is playing some pretty solid tennis, especially considering the quality of opponents he is facing unlike some of the other players' draws (Nadal...) and it should build his game and help him against his next couple opponents.

Jaz
01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Hopefully Federer can improve soon!

Foxy
01-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Malisse is Fedtard, ofcourse he would let Fed rest.

Mr. Ben Dover didn't even try... Disgusting player.

ossie
01-21-2011, 12:27 PM
reminds me of the old days, too solid from fedking

Zagor
01-21-2011, 01:59 PM
I thought it was a very controlled performance from Fed energy wise,he obviously estimated that he can cruise against Malisse even while playing at 60-70% and only switch to a higher gear if the situation asks for it(like for example X-man breaking Fed early in the 2nd set).It was very similar to how he played against Muller in 2008 USO as well after a tough match with Andreev the round before.

Fed is one of those players who always plans ahead so after a tough match with Simon which took a lot out of him this sort of performance was expected.I think he'll try the same against Robredo(which might result in him losing a set)and then give it his all in potential SF/F,whether that will be enough to defend the title remains to be seen.

Now some of those overhead misses are a bit worrying but I think those happened because of the whole lackadaisical attitude with which he entered the match.If Malisse was more up to the task(and wasn't a huge headcase overall)IMO Fed would have raised the level accordingly but as I said he needed this kind of match after Simon thriller so he can save himself up for later.

mystic ice cube
01-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Good win for Federer, just doing enough. Scoreline doesn't really reflect how Malisse played at times though.

Allez
01-21-2011, 02:04 PM
I think he'll try the same against Robredo(which might result in him losing a set)and then give it his all in potential SF/F,whether that will be enough to defend the title remains to be seen.

I think he would be foolish to employ the same attitude against either Wawrinka or Roddick in the quarters ;)

Zagor
01-21-2011, 02:16 PM
I think he would be foolish to employ the same attitude against either Wawrinka or Roddick in the quarters ;)

I agree,both of them are a threat.Fed obviously has a huge winning H2H against Roddick but they had some close ones,especially the last few years so I'm sure Fed will take him seriously(although the surface will help Fed dealing with Roddick's serve).Stan is a threat to any top player if he's zoning,he has a big game.

Shade
01-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Wawrinka, yeah, but not Roddick. Roddick's playing disgustingly boring tennis so far and is all but conditioned to lose to Fed.

Pretty entertaining match! I was a little disgusted at the penultimate game when Fed all but gave up the bagel.

Fujee
01-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Well as i said in the live commentary thread, I wanted a final bagel, because my one from 2006 is really stale now. But he played not bad considering his opponent and their history. He will step it up i am certain.

also i believe the term i coined earlier on is the best for Fed's mood during this match - "Heat Rash Roger" - where Fed goes mad in the hot sun and starts talking to himself.

Start da Game
01-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Fed's serve is really concerning here, I hope it's a temporary problem ,not a serious injury. Thanks to God, Boredo is an another practice boy and shouldn't make any problems.

folks, a typical blind fedlover for you........they need their god to face only weak players who can hardly stand and hold a racket.......they cannot bear the thought of strong opposition, someone standing in his flowery path and challenging him.......on the other hand they cry weak draws for their nightmare........has madness been any worse than this?

Start da Game
01-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Mr. Ben Dover didn't even try... Disgusting player.

that's an understatement........weak era boy itself is weak, now talk about ripe old weak era boy, that's malisse for you.......

absolute shit draw.......

hicdick
01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=Start da Game;10702220]folks, a typical blind fedlover for you........they need their god to face only weak players who can hardly stand and hold a racket.......they cannot bear the thought of strong opposition, someone standing in his flowery path and challenging him.......on the other hand they cry weak draws for their nightmare........has madness been any worse than this?

do you think marcos daniel is a threat for top players? or ryan sweeting with his becker-esque serve?

Orka_n
01-21-2011, 03:49 PM
folks, a typical blind fedlover for you........they need their god to face only weak players who can hardly stand and hold a racket.......they cannot bear the thought of strong opposition, someone standing in his flowery path and challenging him.......on the other hand they cry weak draws for their nightmare........Quiet already you lunatic.
has madness been any worse than this?I don't think so, no.

Singularity
01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
absolute shit draw.......
Is having to beat Daniel, Sweeting and Tomic really any more difficult a challenge than facing Lacko, Simon and Malisse?

I suspect that if the draws were switched around, you'd be complaining about Federer's draw just as much, if not more.

_Chaz
01-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Is having to beat Daniel, Sweeting and Tomic really any more difficult a challenge than facing Lacko, Simon and Malisse?

I suspect that if the draws were switched around, you'd be complaining about Federer's draw just as much, if not more.

+100000000000000
Typical for Nadal tards. Once they write "Player XXX will upset Olderer in 5 sets" and after the match they write "What an easy draw for Olderer" :D

samanosuke
01-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Lacko >>>> Daniel
Simon >>>>>> Sweeting
Malisse > Tomic

Skyward
01-21-2011, 08:29 PM

LOLOL, reaching round of 16 without playing any top 95 players....How often does it happen?

Raiden
01-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Lacko >>>> Daniel
Simon >>>>>> Sweeting
Malisse > TomicLOLOL, reaching round of 16 without playing any top 95 players....How often does it happen?Typical for Nadal tards. Once they write "Player XXX will upset Olderer in 5 sets" and after the match they write "What an easy draw for Olderer" :D

Agreed.

If Fed's draw is piece-of-cake then Nadal's draw is pussy fart.

brent-o
01-21-2011, 11:59 PM
You also missed the stillborn Feduller :D

On the Roof? I'm lame, I know (still kinda hoping someone photoshops that image...)