Jim Courier: the AO balls are "a little bit bigger, heavier and slower this year" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Jim Courier: the AO balls are "a little bit bigger, heavier and slower this year"

abraxas21
01-21-2011, 06:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B2stFzwWzo

Yet more help for Nadal. Apparently it wasn't enough to give him an easy draw -they also had to change the conditions of the whole game.

tests
01-21-2011, 06:01 AM
the homogenization of the surfaces continues! If this is indeed true, a fed/nadal final would not be ideal.

Sri
01-21-2011, 06:02 AM
More help for our humble champion.

careergrandslam
01-21-2011, 06:06 AM
dont worry rafa aint winning this title the way he is playing.

bokehlicious
01-21-2011, 06:08 AM
just like the blue clay at the WTF. oh wait he didn't win that one. they have a modicum of speed

They try all they can to help the golden boy winning everything, yet he's not that good to clinch them all, and most importantly no easy draws at WTF...

Nidhogg
01-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Duh, this court is like sandpaper. They should swap balls with Roland Garros to make both tournaments more distinct with the pace of the surface.

GlennMirnyi
01-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Soon enough players will be hitting watermelons instead of tennis balls. Every year the balls are heavier and bigger.

They're making a joke of this sport. Every tournament, every match is exactly the same.

Just disgusting, abhorring.

Allez
01-21-2011, 06:19 AM
There's always badminton, squash or racquetball for those who do not like Uncle Toni's regime. To the left...

tennis2tennis
01-21-2011, 06:21 AM
that's why for me bjorg is one of the greatest he did rg wim back 2 back when clay was slow and grass was fast....legend!

LinkMage
01-21-2011, 06:24 AM
NID :yeah:

tests
01-21-2011, 06:25 AM
fed does need to fix that serve though. it was abysmal

NadalesDios
01-21-2011, 06:26 AM
Wow, a thread full of Nadal lovers...

Allez
01-21-2011, 06:26 AM
fed does need to fix that serve though. it was abysmal

Wrong thread :shrug:

Corey Feldman
01-21-2011, 06:31 AM
making sure the Golden child gets his GS at all costs, great exposure for them when he does it

just been enjoying this 1st week while i can

Pirata.
01-21-2011, 06:33 AM
:o

What is the point in homogenizing the surfaces and making all the courts so slow? I can't imagine the state of tennis in ten or fifteen years when every kid coming up is a ball basher standing 5-10 feet behind the baseline or moonballing for 5 hours on courts slower than molasses :zzz:

Jimnik
01-21-2011, 06:37 AM
If it's true it hardly makes up for the surface switch from rebound ace to plexicushion. These courts are suppose to be much slower than US Open.

GlennMirnyi
01-21-2011, 06:40 AM
If it's true it hardly makes up for the surface switch from rebound ace to plexicushion. These courts are suppose to be much slower than US Open.

This surface change just killed the AO's personality.

The Magician
01-21-2011, 07:16 AM
Just a disgrace. Who the tennis elite want to win is so obvious it's pathetic. Here's a hint: his name starts with N and his game is dull.

Kat_YYZ
01-21-2011, 07:25 AM
:o

What is the point in homogenizing the surfaces and making all the courts so slow? I can't imagine the state of tennis in ten or fifteen years when every kid coming up is a ball basher standing 5-10 feet behind the baseline or moonballing for 5 hours on courts slower than molasses :zzz:

If all the courts play the same... why not just play the same court. Don't burden the players with tiring travel and time zone shifts. Pick one city and play on the same court every week. We'll call the tournament "Miami" one week, few weeks later will call it "Monaco" -- the names are just for posterity. The players can buy homes and move to that city, enrol their kids in school. It'll be... great :dance: :bolt:

amaze
01-21-2011, 07:27 AM
What else is new?:yawn:

I don't think we should make a big fuss over something that has settled as a tendency in current tennis.
I'm starting to think maybe Rafa better win this AO, because otherwise you never know how far will they go. We might wake up one day and don't recognize this sport at all.:sad:

GlennMirnyi
01-21-2011, 07:35 AM
What else is new?:yawn:

I don't think we should make a big fuss over something that has settled as a tendency in current tennis.
I'm starting to think maybe Rafa better win this AO, because otherwise you never know how far will they go. We might wake up one day and don't recognize this sport at all.:sad:

Wow where have you been, mate?

That's so Wimbledon 2002.

It is true though.

Guy Haines
01-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Big, heavy balls? I see no evidence of them in this thread.

philosophicalarf
01-21-2011, 08:53 AM
This is bollocks. The Aus balls were already at the maximum size permitted by the ITF, and within 1% of the maximum weight.

Maybe he'd only seen matches from the first few days - Wilson pick up humidity quite easily, and it was 10c or more cooler. There are smallish differences between the courts too (MC is definitely quicker this year).

Also, if the balls had changed, it shows up very quickly on serve stats. They're identical to last year, once temperatures are factored out - within 0.1% average serve points won of the 08/09/10 figures.

ZakMcCrack
01-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Treating myself to watching these slow conditions while considering all contributing factors makes me feel as blue as a smurf...grumbling smurf has spoken!

dav abu
01-21-2011, 09:16 AM
So... there are people on this thread who seriously believe that the tennis authorities have a conspiracy to ensure that Nadal wins every slam? that they are changing the weight off the balls, court speed etc to favour Nadal? :confused: really? :D

freeandlonely
01-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Wiki:
"Plexicushion, consist of a Plexicushion substrate (which is a blend of latex, rubber, and plastic particles), is now extensively called Blue Clay"

The Magician
01-21-2011, 09:31 AM
So... there are people on this thread who seriously believe that the tennis authorities have a conspiracy to ensure that Nadal wins every slam? that they are changing the weight off the balls, court speed etc to favour Nadal? :confused: really? :D

A Business seeking to maximize it's profits and promote its most marketable players, what a conspiracy :eek::wavey:

Commander Data
01-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Fedex is taking this even playing watermelons on mud.

FedFan
01-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Is this really a surprise? It is all about money in todays sport, no ethic anymore.

luie
01-21-2011, 02:46 PM
This should favour the "slow court" players like novak/simon/nadull.
Variety continues to be seen as the enemy in this era.

Topspindoctor
01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B2stFzwWzo

Yet more help for Nadal. Apparently it wasn't enough to give him an easy draw -they also had to change the conditions of the whole game.

Excuses this early in the tournament :eek:

A_Skywalker
01-21-2011, 02:53 PM
They are helping Nadal to win :crying2: :sad:

GlennMirnyi
01-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Is this really a surprise? It is all about money in todays sport, no ethic anymore.

Yeap.

The only explanation Raflukel Nadull gets so much support.

Johnny Groove
01-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Oh joy.

Yet another thread where the insecure Nadal haters can congregate and cry and whine and bitch together about how the Spanish ATP mafia is constantly working to make sure Rafa wins every slam on planet Earth.

Get a fucking grip, people.

GlennMirnyi
01-21-2011, 04:26 PM
It's not about Nadull, this. Some Frauderer gloryhunters actually used the thread to have a go at Raflukel Nadull but the real problem is way bigger. The changing of courts is helping not only him but other moonballers/pushers around.

Johnny Groove
01-21-2011, 04:32 PM
It's not about Nadull, this. Some Frauderer gloryhunters actually used the thread to have a go at Raflukel Nadull but the real problem is way bigger. The changing of courts is helping not only him but other moonballers/pushers around.

Like who?

The only posts I see are complaining that it favors Nadal.

abraxas21
01-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Like who?

thats because nadal is the epitome of moonballing. he represents the style.

Johnny Groove
01-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Ok.

Anyone on here who calls Nadal a moonballer knows nothing of the game. A moonballer is a 13 year old kid who lobs every ball 30 feet high from baseline to baseline.

Nadal is a heavy topspinner, not a moonballer.

KB6EY7FxgUg

hicdick
01-21-2011, 04:41 PM
it's pretty obvious. many 30+ hit rallies, plus great shotmakers having troubles to hit clean winners from the baseline.
this is what people want though, longer rallies and stuff. unfortunately atp is bending over as they are attempting to attract new followers. :(

Chartreuse
01-21-2011, 05:24 PM
just like the blue clay at the WTF. oh wait he didn't win that one.

Agreed. WTF surface was slow... A long SF vs Murray or Soderling and Rafa is done for the final. Then Fed would win the final. I'm not sure Rafa could recover like in 2009. He is older and recovering from the flu. ADV Fed.

Guy Haines
01-21-2011, 05:26 PM
I can definitely see why the whiners in this thread have a problem with big, heavy balls.

Allez
01-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Agreed. WTF surface was slow... A long SF vs Murray or Soderling and Rafa is done for the final. Then Fed would win the final. I'm not sure Rafa could recover like in 2009. He is older and recovering from the flu. ADV Fed.

The jinx machine working very hard :zzz:

Chartreuse
01-21-2011, 05:34 PM
The changing of courts is helping not only him but other moonballers/pushers around.

Nole, Murray too...

GlennMirnyi
01-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Like who?

Like whom? Like Boredo, Ferrer, etc.

And Nadull, of course. Read below.

Exactly.

Ok.

Anyone on here who calls Nadal a moonballer knows nothing of the game. A moonballer is a 13 year old kid who lobs every ball 30 feet high from baseline to baseline.

KB6EY7FxgUg

Moonballer. He's a pro for goodness' sake. :rolleyes:

Start da Game
01-21-2011, 05:39 PM
fun to see blind fedlovers collectively suggesting in agony that their fragile ballet god cannot play on slow courts and heavy balls.......

everything needs to be flowery and feathery for their god to win something, they are crying even though the conditions in melbourne don't seem to be the way they think.......unending dumbness.......

peribsen
01-21-2011, 05:50 PM
The only explanation Raflukel Nadull gets so much support.

Oh. I thought it was because he has proven himself capable of licking everyone on tour most of the times. But if you say so...

I've made the same point so many times that by now I'm convinced they just don't care about the truth. Anyway, nice to see other people keep trying to talk sense.

alfonsojose
01-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Bigger balls, bigger bulges :drool: :yeah:

FedFan
01-21-2011, 05:55 PM
The same players, who are moaning and whining, if a court is (which is seldom enough) a bit faster and therefore physical less demanding are complaining about the long season.

You can not have it both way, no? Profiting from the slow conditions and on the other hand asking for a shorter season. Better to play shorter points, no? ;)

Ichiban1920
01-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Nadull is the biggest fluke in the entire history of sports. No way he would've even won any slams in the 90s. It's pathetic that the ATP is obviously slowing down every single event to cater to Nadull's pathetic moonballing game.

A_Skywalker
01-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Nadull is the biggest fluke in the entire history of sports. No way he would've even won any slams in the 90s. It's pathetic that the ATP is obviously slowing down every single event to cater to Nadull's pathetic moonballing game.

I wonder if Roger would have won any slam in the 90s, cause if you remember he is playing in this era. Can you tell me your thoughts about that?

Ichiban1920
01-21-2011, 06:34 PM
I wonder if Roger would have won any slam in the 90s, cause if you remember he is playing in this era. Can you tell me your thoughts about that?

You can't even begin to compare Federer and Nadull's games. Are you kidding me?

GlennMirnyi
01-21-2011, 06:36 PM

He would've won a few slams, but not as many as he has won so far.

Shirogane
01-21-2011, 06:50 PM

I'm pretty sure he would have won RG. Probably not as many as he has, but he would definitely win his fair share in any other era...

Sillyrabbit
01-21-2011, 07:11 PM
This is bollocks. The Aus balls were already at the maximum size permitted by the ITF, and within 1% of the maximum weight.

Maybe he'd only seen matches from the first few days - Wilson pick up humidity quite easily, and it was 10c or more cooler. There are smallish differences between the courts too (MC is definitely quicker this year).

Also, if the balls had changed, it shows up very quickly on serve stats. They're identical to last year, once temperatures are factored out - within 0.1% average serve points won of the 08/09/10 figures.

Hush with your theories and trying to think for yourself. Conspiracies and tin foil hats are way more fun

Nole fan
01-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Usual MTF whiners. :lol:

Kiedis
01-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Big, heavy balls? I see no evidence of them in this thread.

:haha:

I suggest an update of MTF's logo.

Instead of this:
http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/mtf/images2007/logo/logo07.gif

this other would be pretty more accurate:
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1459/mtffed.png

Foxy
01-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Big balls are good for the viewers, no?

Skyward
01-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Big balls are good for the viewers, no?

Ah how lucky we are! How big? Peach, orange or grapefruit sized?

Shirogane
01-21-2011, 09:42 PM
:lol:

FormerRafaFan
01-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Nadull is the biggest fluke in the entire history of sports.

Sure, he's a fluke. That's why he's won 9 slams:rolleyes:

No way he would've even won any slams in the 90s. It's pathetic that the ATP is obviously slowing down every single event to cater to Nadull's pathetic moonballing game.

Yeah. It's a big conspiracy. Everyone working in tennis is obviously a Rafatard, and they're doing everything for him to win!:rolleyes:

allpro
01-21-2011, 10:07 PM

Instead of this:

:worship:

Raiden
01-21-2011, 11:12 PM
It's not about Nadull, this. Some Frauderer gloryhunters actually used the thread to have a go at Raflukel Nadull but the real problem is way bigger. The changing of courts is helping not only him but other moonballers/pushers around.Exactly.

Although Nadal is the one currintly profiting the most this ongoing homogenization started before he arrived at the top and therefore it is meant to give more advantage to defensive/counterpunch/attrition play in general, not necessarily aimed at one player. That's what has been going on since 2001 or thereabouts. Nadal may come and go but the homogenization will probably be continue to be maintained after that

Topspin Forehand
01-21-2011, 11:26 PM
7YUuyzQDmjY

~Maya~
01-21-2011, 11:31 PM

Instead of this:

HDW
01-21-2011, 11:36 PM

Instead of this:

Spot on :yeah:

Mungo
01-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Fedtard babies moaning for nothing yet again. These balls are fine, nothing special. However US Open balls are ridiculously small and light, just like in the French Open in the last 2 years which caused Nadal more trouble.
Fedull got the better schedule again, doesn't matter if he's no.1 or no.2. Hope justice is done and Djokovic or Nadal kick his butt.

Topspin Forehand
01-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Fedtard babies moaning for nothing yet again. These balls are fine, nothing special. However US Open balls are ridiculously small and light, just like in the French Open in the last 2 years which caused Nadal more trouble.
Fedull got the better schedule again, doesn't matter if he's no.1 or no.2. Hope justice is done and Djokovic or Nadal kick his butt.
Nadal seemed really comfortable with the balls at this years US Open. I wonder if the US Open suits him more now than the Australian Open.

ossie
01-21-2011, 11:57 PM
not this shit again :rolleyes:

Mjau!
01-22-2011, 12:19 AM
I think the fat :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: of the ATP would :inlove: to see the "Nadal slam"! A player achieving a "Grand Slam" is a big deal that would bring the sport more publicity than usual, which is all they care about!

fast_clay
01-22-2011, 12:47 AM
loving the rubber dog turd :haha:

mysterious
01-22-2011, 12:51 AM
not this shit again :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I think everytime I see one of your posts.

brent-o
01-22-2011, 01:03 AM
Don't forget the "magic towels" Nadal has been wiping off with. True Mallorcan voodoo. Or the reserved sidewalk space so that no one gets close enough to bruise him. Insane the lengths his team/tournament organizers will go to allow him to win those 9 fluke Slams. :angel:

River
01-22-2011, 01:10 AM
No offense, but if professionals can't even adapt to the surface then yes, they might as well give Rafa the trophy.

You'd think they'd be good enough to think "Oh hey, it's like a clay surface, let's go with tactics that fit those." but apparently the MTF thought process is that the pros are stupid enough to not realize it's not actually a hard court.

Or, the MTF thought process is that, yes, Rafael Nadal truly is the king of clay. Anything slow will immediately make Rafael Nadal the hands down favorite; near unbeatable.

AO courts have been slowing down progressively every year, I'm not surprised at all. I wouldn't be suprised if Wimby this year was bast to its original speed and Rafa /still/ won, and MTF /still/ had a problem with it. I mean come on, if Federer can adapt, if Nole can adapt.. why can't everyone else?

Nole fan
01-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Q. Just on tennis globally, I think there is 95 Europeans in the main draw, and there are South Americans as well. Do you think there is ever a way for Australia and America to get back to something like the glory days with all the European dominance? And what do you think the reason is for this European dominance?

ROGER FEDERER: Never really thought about it. I mean, I definitely think America and Australia can get back sooner than later definitely. Why Europeans, I don’t know. I guess it’s just a trend right now like it used to be a trend that America and Australia had such great players. I guess it comes in phases.

Maybe courts slowing down a bit has helped Europeans a bit, especially if you think about Spain and how they grow up sort of hitting I think they work a lot out of the basket, you know. So the ball comes slow and they can really accelerate through the ball; whereas an American and maybe an Australian are more used to playing on a faster court where the ball comes to you. So they’re not so used to going to the ball and hitting it, which for the Spaniards is absolutely normal.

That’s maybe why the slower conditions have helped the Europeans to make their move who grew up playing on clay. I also grew up playing on clay courts. Yeah, so that’s also why I think also today you don’t see a guy who can only play on hardcourt. Today everybody can play on all the different surfaces. That’s definitely from slowing down the game with the balls and the surfaces.

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2011, 03:50 AM

Instead of this:

I suggest you change your profile age to 5.

Sure, he's a fluke. That's why he's won 9 slams:rolleyes:

There's a reason he's called Raflukel Nadull.

No offense, but if professionals can't even adapt to the surface then yes, they might as well give Rafa the trophy.

You'd think they'd be good enough to think "Oh hey, it's like a clay surface, let's go with tactics that fit those." but apparently the MTF thought process is that the pros are stupid enough to not realize it's not actually a hard court.

Or, the MTF thought process is that, yes, Rafael Nadal truly is the king of clay. Anything slow will immediately make Rafael Nadal the hands down favorite; near unbeatable.

AO courts have been slowing down progressively every year, I'm not surprised at all. I wouldn't be suprised if Wimby this year was bast to its original speed and Rafa /still/ won, and MTF /still/ had a problem with it. I mean come on, if Federer can adapt, if Nole can adapt.. why can't everyone else?

It's not about "adapting".

It's about the general slowing of pretty much every tournament out there.

Manequin75
01-22-2011, 04:00 AM
how can the ball be bigger lol? Tennis balls have a standard size dont they?

philosophicalarf
01-22-2011, 04:15 AM
how can the ball be bigger lol? Tennis balls have a standard size dont they?

They have a narrow range.

solowyn
01-22-2011, 05:56 AM
Shriver just had a massive rant about the balls fluffing up so much, during the Isner/Cilic match.

nobama
01-22-2011, 06:05 AM
Shriver just had a massive rant about the balls fluffing up so much, during the Isner/Cilic match.Yea Pam. :D

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Funny that these people rant, rant, rant but when they have the opportunity to call the top players on this, they prefer to play the part of the sycophant.

leng jai
01-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Pathetic stuff. Lets just drench the balls in water from now on.

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 06:20 AM
Funny that these people rant, rant, rant but when they have the opportunity to call the top players on this, they prefer to play the part of the sycophant.

Or they are afraid of the player not agreeing (thus disproving the observation), because they know the player has more credibility/knowledge :yeah:

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2011, 06:24 AM
Or they are afraid of the player not agreeing (thus disproving the observation), because they know the player has more credibility/knowledge :yeah:

Which players have more credibility than Courier, for instance? :confused:

You probably live in the Nadull fangirls dreamland.

If you think you must play better than pro players to make a valid point about tennis, then what the hell are you doing here? :rolleyes:

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Which players have more credibility than Courier, for instance? :confused:

You probably live in the Nadull fangirls dreamland.

If you think you must play better than pro players to make a valid point about tennis, then what the hell are you doing here? :rolleyes:

Courier is a very poor example of a knowledgeable commentator. This is the same man who gave Rafa exactly no chance of beating Federer in 2009 AO. And gave Simon absolutely no chance of winning the 3rd set vs Federer. He has zero intuition, and it shows nearly every day he commentates. And of course the players can judge the condition of the balls better than the commentators.

Easy, easy, a tone like that could get you banned.

GlennMirnyi
01-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Courier is a very poor example of a knowledgeable commentator. This is the same man who gave Rafa exactly no chance of beating Federer in 2009 AO. And gave Simon absolutely no chance of winning the 3rd set vs Federer. He has zero intuition, and it shows nearly every day he commentates. And of course the players can judge the condition of the balls better than the commentators.

Easy, easy, a tone like that could get you banned.

I haven't discussed his intuition. I'm discussing someone saying he doesn't have enough credibility.

You're not a moderator here mate. Thankfully.

And well, he was right. Nadull had 0 chance. Frauderer gave him the match.

nadal_slam_king
01-22-2011, 06:56 AM
I haven't discussed his intuition. I'm discussing someone saying he doesn't have enough credibility.

You're not a moderator here mate. Thankfully.

And well, he was right. Nadull had 0 chance. Frauderer gave him the match.

Courier probably isn't even aware that Rafa leads Federer 3-1 on outdoor hardcourt. Or he'd try to dismiss it from his memory because it hurts so much :lol:

LOL a commentator knowing more than the players about the balls they're playing with. Funny, very funny little man.