Milos Raonic Hit A 143MPH/230KPH Serve? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Milos Raonic Hit A 143MPH/230KPH Serve?

Certinfy
01-20-2011, 09:08 PM
:eek: Is this for real? Says on http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/index.html

That's fucking crazy for a 20 year old :speakles:

Sapeod
01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Brilliant! :worship:

abraxas21
01-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Another Ace For Milos!!!!

Roger the Dodger
01-20-2011, 09:28 PM
That's stunning. What's his whole package like? Never seen him play. Serve only mug?

ApproachShot
01-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Can anyone who watched the match closely verify this? I recall the electronic scoreboards being somewhat problematic in last year's AO.

If it's true though, that's incredible. Give it a couple of years and Roddick's serve speed record could be history.

ossie
01-20-2011, 09:42 PM
That's stunning. What's his whole package like? Never seen him play. Serve only mug?nah he can actually play tennis

Sapeod
01-20-2011, 09:45 PM
That's stunning. What's his whole package like? Never seen him play. Serve only mug?
Huge forehand, big backhand, HUGE serve and he is consistent. His volleys aren't great, though.

Brilliant tennis, future top 10 player, maybe even top 5.

Li Ching Yuen
01-20-2011, 09:47 PM
What's surprising about that?

Soderling and Roddick have both hit serves as fast as that in the past half a year.

FormerRafaFan
01-20-2011, 09:51 PM

Soderling and Roddick have both hit serves as fast as that in the past half a year.

I think this is big because it's coming from a 20 year old who still hasn't fully developed his game yet. This guy obviously has a lot of potential!

Henry Chinaski
01-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Us Open site had Cuevas hitting 142 mph one year. Wouldn't necessarily take it as gospel

JMG
01-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Huge forehand, big backhand, HUGE serve and he is consistent. His volleys aren't great, though.

:lol:

Sapeod
01-20-2011, 09:57 PM

Yeah, but they're 28 and 26 respectively.
Raonic is 20.
Did you even bother to read the OP? :retard:

Sapeod
01-20-2011, 09:57 PM
What do you find so amusing about my post?

Li Ching Yuen
01-20-2011, 09:58 PM
I think this is big because it's coming from a 20 year old who still hasn't fully developed his game yet. This guy obviously has a lot of potential!

Q. And the 230, how many faster serves than that have you hit?

MILOS RAONIC: I didn't know I hit 230. What is it...

Q. 142, I think, roughly.

MILOS RAONIC: That's interesting. I'll look where it puts me on the leaderboard.

Q. Stupid question, but how hard do you think you could hit one?

MILOS RAONIC: I don't know. I don't think I could hit much harder than that. I do resort to sometimes going for that because I know I have a good shoulder on me. So it is a weapon of mine, so I use it when I can.

I tried not to get too carried away with the numbers, that aspect, because I feel like I can move the ball around the service box quite well.

Soderling can probably hit the hardest serve right now on tour. This guy doesn't have too much control on it, his flat ones go often closer to the center than the lines.

There's guys out there that can hit some mean ones as well: Ball and Guccione for example, but they're not on the main tour although they have a doubles match on Hisense tomorrow.

Certinfy
01-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Has to be for real if they asked him that in the interview?

Also 230kph to mph is actually 142.92, but surely that's rounded to 143?

FormerRafaFan
01-20-2011, 10:02 PM

I remember a few months ago people were calling him a serve mug. Now all of a sudden the bandwagon is rolling, and he's got a great game?

I like Raonic, I really do. And he seems to be improving different aspects of his game, which is good of course. But he still has a way to go imo. As of now though, his biggest strengths are his serve and his strong mentality on the big points.

romismak
01-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Yes he hit 230km. He has great serve. He reminds me by huge serve and aces Karlovic or Isner- but he is far younger and will be far better- 195cm high- that is also very important, because they are many players with similar height- so he can move pretty well and is faster than IVo or ISner, but his serve is on their level- I watched whole match against Llodra- and his servis games were far better, much more easier than Llodra´s- and Llodra by himself belong to best guy on serve- especially because he is left-hander, but the thing is 20 years old- one of the fastest serves on the tour, consistance- i look many matches back on statistick on atp world tour website and he always has some 60% 1st serves in- and winning points 80%-85%. He is great in tie-breaks. His 1st serve average against Llodra were 219km and 214km on the center line, even his 2nd serve average speed on the center line was 182 from left side. 182km- is not even average 1st serve speed for many players... Every game Llodra make max. one fifteen. he broke his serve once in last set- but it was weak moment from Raonic ´side- one only weak game on serve for him in 3 full sets! 2 tie-breaks. here is link
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/stats/day9/1206dss.html

osmonde
01-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Raonic turned 20 years 3 weeks ago. I can imagine he will improve. Saw the whole game and he kept his composure, seems very relaxed. He needs to work on his moves on court, but he reaches lots of balls nevetheless that got Llodra out of his mind, I think. Winning in 3 straight sets is huge in a slam. Good work.

ShotmaKer
01-20-2011, 10:44 PM

Besides dude can actually volley. Quite refreshing in today's tennis landscape.

Agrajag
01-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Us Open site had Cuevas hitting 142 mph one year. Wouldn't necessarily take it as gospel

He can do that regularly.

Satasonic
01-21-2011, 12:31 AM
I watched the first set from yesterdays game against Llodra, I will sum Raonic in one word: CONSISTENT. He had almost 0 unforced, pounced on the short ball, solid volleys. Court intelligence is an issue, shot selection is sometimes stupid. Other than that, good package overall.

moon language
01-21-2011, 01:03 AM
67% first serve percentage + 203 KMH average first serve speed = killer

GlennMirnyi
01-21-2011, 01:14 AM

Yeah! :lol:

liutian_min
01-21-2011, 01:27 AM
I remembered I watched this guy playing a practice set with David Ferrer in Toronto.
I didn't know him at that time and quite surprised at the way he played that day. He beat Ferrer 6:1 in that practice set. Both my friend and I agreed that he could be a future prospect.
His serve and forehand are absolutely brilliant. But he really struggled with his volleys.

Crow_Boy
01-21-2011, 01:50 AM
Well Sam Groth from Australia hit a 233km serve in the doubles yesterday.

Snowwy
01-21-2011, 02:09 AM
Interesting thing about Milos compared to Karlovic and Isner. Both those guys took a very long time to break the top 100. But Milos is already up to about 118 and should do it much sooner. Hopefully he can continue to improve.

ShotmaKer
01-21-2011, 02:14 AM
Milos is not as tall as these guys though. Del Potro is taller than him and broke through earlier.

Smoke944
01-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Interesting thing about Milos compared to Karlovic and Isner. Both those guys took a very long time to break the top 100. But Milos is already up to about 118 and should do it much sooner. Hopefully he can continue to improve.

Karlovic and Isner aren't good comparisons. Querrey is a far more similar player. And this may come as a surprise seeing as MTF loves to trash Querrey, but at the same age as Milos is now Sam had already accomplished far more impressive things. Before the age of 20 he had: peaked in the top 50, reached a MS QF, had multiple top-10 wins, reached an ATP SF, etc. ;)
All this from a guy that MTF makes out to be the worst tennis player to ever pick up a racket :D

Not trying to slow down the bandwagon, but I'm just saying....

ShotmaKer
01-21-2011, 02:28 AM
Berdych or Ancic are better comparisons in my opinion. They're the same height as Milos, and have more complete games than say Karlovic, Isner or Querrey.

rafaholic
01-21-2011, 02:35 AM
so what...i can see now it's first time here on MTF to watch him...

moon language
01-21-2011, 03:37 AM
so what...i can see now it's first time here on MTF to watch him...

Doubtful. Lots of Nadal fans here, and he put up a decent fight against him last year.

mysterious
01-22-2011, 01:02 AM

Seems to me like you've been watching too many Andy Murray matches. There is a reason why Milos Raonic plays serve and volley tennis and no, it's not just because he has a cannon for a serve. He aims to make impact in most rallies off the ground and the vast majority of the time follows one of his big groundstrokes in and showed very good versatility at the net against Llodra. He showed particular class in the high volley on either side.

Sapeod
01-22-2011, 01:59 AM
Seems to me like you've been watching too many Andy Murray matches. There is a reason why Milos Raonic plays serve and volley tennis and no, it's not just because he has a cannon for a serve. He aims to make impact in most rallies off the ground and the vast majority of the time follows one of his big groundstrokes in and showed very good versatility at the net against Llodra. He showed particular class in the high volley on either side.
What is this supposed to mean? :confused:
You better keep your little remarks to yourself, mate.
Also, you've just joined, so what's with the Andy Murray remark? Kinda random :scratch:

I said his volleys aren't great, because they're not. He can volley well, but he's not a great volleyer like Llodra, for example.

Read my post before making any remarks, yeah?

Roddickominator
01-22-2011, 03:41 AM
He does have a massive serve. 2nd serve is good too....he can hit a big one and his change-up gets nice kick to it though he hits it too shallow in the box. That should improve.

The forehand is big, but inconsistent. And the backhand is terrible. Against Youzhny, he made a few very nice volleys, and botched plenty more....he can improve there as well.

Certinfy
01-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Leads the ace count as well :worship:

ShotmaKer
01-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Thats my boy :worship:

mysterious
01-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Also, you've just joined, so what's with the Andy Murray remark? Kinda random :scratch:

I said his volleys aren't great, because they're not. He can volley well, but he's not a great volleyer like Llodra, for example.

It means that you're a donkey, young man.

Or what, kiddo?

Doesn't your signature give it away?

Fair enough, his volleys aren't great but they are pretty accomplished from what I've seen. I first watched Raonic in Canada vs Gonzalez and even back then he looked comfortable at the net and that's not something you can say about many players on tour these days.

But let's be honest, you complimented his forehand and backhand (which is definitely not an accomplished shot) then you left that comment in regards to his volleying skills. When somebody usually remarks "not great", it's rarely meant in a literal sense but in a way to discredit.

And what makes you believe I haven't read your post? I've read plenty of your posts for longer than I care to remember.

Coolio_Jack
01-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Guys, am i the only one who see's a huge resemblance between Raonic and Moe from Simpsons?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/Moe_Szyslak.png

http://d.yimg.com/i//ng/sp/eurosport/20091202/25/89ef31a7e81da86cab01ddc6c6ea2c3a.jpg

Certinfy
03-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Funny looking at this now :lol:

He hits an 143mph serve in Australia and all of us think it's huge and then a few weeks later he hits an 150mph serve in Memphis :rolls:

Li Ching Yuen
03-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Funny looking at this now :lol:

He hits an 143mph serve in Australia and all of us think it's huge and then a few weeks later he hits an 150mph serve in Memphis :rolls:

A 143 mph in Australia is pretty much like a 150 mph in Davis Cup or on American soil.

Just look at the all time records per tournament/country/competition. Speaks volumes.

Certinfy
03-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Well that's true, but I saw his 150mph ace in Memphis and it really did look that speed.

Li Ching Yuen
03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
The balls with which they play in American tournaments is really optimal for some good serving. The Australian Open conditions on the whole are the slowest you'll get on an outdoor hardcourt on the tour.

The fastest serve at the AO is of Dents at 143.5 mph.

Roger the Dodger
03-05-2011, 08:36 PM

Cummon, TM! Obviously its a troll account.:cool:

BodyServe
03-05-2011, 08:39 PM
The balls with which they play in American tournaments is really optimal for some good serving. The Australian Open conditions on the whole are the slowest you'll get on an outdoor hardcourt on the tour.

The fastest serve at the AO is of Dents at 143.5 mph.

Groth hit 236 kph, which is roughly 146 mph in the qualifications.

Snowwy
03-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Apparently he hit 152 MPH in Davis Cup on clay yesterday.

FormerRafaFan
03-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Apparently he hit 152 MPH in Davis Cup on clay yesterday.

that is 245 KPH.. wow!

StoGas
03-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Perfect serve. Unfortunately he'll play so good only on hard.

Li Ching Yuen
03-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Groth hit 236 kph, which is roughly 146 mph in the qualifications.

Yeah, Groth can pop them. Too bad he never gets a hold of a MD. It's hard to be a serve and volleyer these days.

Gonzil
03-05-2011, 10:01 PM
that is 245 KPH.. wow!

Actually it was recorded at 246 kph. But I have heard that the DC speed gun is not considered reliable and anyway the record might not count due to altitude.

FormerRafaFan
03-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Actually it was recorded at 246 kph. But I have heard that the DC speed gun is not considered reliable and anyway the record might not count due to altitude.

Oh sorry, I just used an online calculator to convert it from miles to kilometers. But I guess if it said 246 then that's probably right, since they use KM as a measurement in Mexico, and not miles. I guess you were a tiny bit off with your conversion :p

Anyway, very good! and on clay too.. though it might not count because of the altitude, still a good sign though!

156mphserve
03-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Oh sorry, I just used an online calculator to convert it from miles to kilometers. But I guess if it said 246 then that's probably right, since they use KM as a measurement in Mexico, and not miles. I guess you were a tiny bit off with your conversion :p

Anyway, very good! and on clay too.. though it might not count because of the altitude, still a good sign though!

surface doesn't affect the recorded speed, Speed is measured before it even touches the surface:p