Murray beats Marchenko 6/1 6/3 6/3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray beats Marchenko 6/1 6/3 6/3

green25814
01-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Good performance from Murray.

Ukrainian is erratic but has game. Is the classic bad frontrunner though.

Nidhogg
01-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Caught the first set where Murray looked good. I'd like to see him bring some aggression against GGL. It could be an entertaining match.

rocketassist
01-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Too much pusher shite at times from Andy, but oh well, he did a bit of that against Serra last year and then stepped it up.

Marchenko isn't bad. Still wonder why he needed three TBs to beat Josh 'hit the floor before the net' Goodall though.

Orka_n
01-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Pretty good match. Marchenko was entertaining here but way too inconsistent. His attacking tennis reminded me of Golubev for some reason (though Andrey has a one-hander obviously). An awesome winner one point, a miss by 2 metres the point after. Marchenko also needs to improve his serve if he wants to make an impact in the top 30... but he did his best and there were some great rallies today.

Murray was excellent. If Andy and Soderling face off in the quarters, Robin will have his hands full.

green25814
01-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Pretty good match. Marchenko was entertaining here but way too inconsistent. His attacking tennis reminded me of Golubev for some reason (though Andrey has a one-hander obviously). An awesome winner one point, a miss by 2 metres the point after. Marchenko also needs to improve his serve if he wants to make an impact in the top 30... but he did his best and there were some great rallies today.

Murray was excellent. If Andy and Soderling face off in the quarters, Robin will have his hands full.

Agreed, Marchenko could have a future imo. He seems to have a good attitude, can see plenty of five set slam epics involving him in the future.

He had the right gameplan too, attacking Murray, taking big swings at the second serve, instead of trying to out-manouvere him. Unfortunately he's not experienced enough to pull it off.

Sophocles
01-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Murray looking good.

Chartreuse
01-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Murray won't be tested until QF. And in QF against Sod anything goes...

Monteque
01-20-2011, 11:04 AM
cmon murray reach final again....:worship:

Blackbriar
01-20-2011, 11:12 AM
I bet 1,000 000 Vcash that Murray wont lose to the Kinder clown in quarterfinal.

philosophicalarf
01-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Marchenko was just playing way beyond his talent and comfort zone, totally unsustainable. Anyone can swing for the fences when they don't really believe they can win, it's why huge underdogs often push top guys then lose in slams (see Senor Falla).

70-68
01-20-2011, 11:39 AM
four more to go Murray :bounce:

The Magician
01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Murray was pushing but against a basher like Marchenko that's all you can do. He still looks good enough to make the final again, if he can make it through GGL :cool:

green25814
01-20-2011, 11:50 AM
I bet 1,000 000 Vcash that Murray wont lose to the Kinder clown in quarterfinal.

Agreed. The GOAT will deal with him next round.

NJ88
01-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Good win for Murray who looked to be playing pretty well today, hope he can keep it up and reach the final again.

Dini
01-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Really liked Marchenko's attitude. He has the flashy shots but inconsistency and inexperience in this match completely killed him. Also, Murray didn't miss much - especially off his serve. Hope to see more of IM in the future making it deep in tournaments.

Horatio Caine
01-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Too much pusher shite at times from Andy, but oh well, he did a bit of that against Serra last year and then stepped it up.

Marchenko isn't bad. Still wonder why he needed three TBs to beat Josh 'hit the floor before the net' Goodall though.

I was quite impressed with that performance from Muzza. In particular the fact that he was fired up and seemed to want to finish the match as comfortably as possible, as he used to do. Certainly in the last 12-18 months he has been justifiably criticised for dropping sets/taking too long to complete these matches in the early rounds, and I am noticing a change in his approach.

He was very pushy at times today, but in all fairness Marchenko was defending his ground well and putting Muzza on the back foot on a number of occasions. A more aggressive approach might have led to him spraying more errors causing a usual slump in confidence, and dropping a few more games with poor play. I suspect he felt that his own brand of 'pusher' tennis was simply better than Marchenko's (which it comfortably is) so why not just let nature take its course? He only dropped 7 games, and completed the match reasonably quickly. In other situations I'd normally agree with you. :)

Besides, we know that he has to tailor his game-plan to each match. I'll be most disappointed if he plays a very passive game against Garcia-Lopez. Yes, defending well would get him the win regardless, but this is a nice match for him to mix up his tactics and practice all areas of his game as GGL doesn't respond particularly well to variety and struggles with nerves.

Marchenko also impressed me. He seemed to be playing with a little more power in his groundstrokes than I had seen in other matches (including the Goodall one), and he was quite effective on a number of the occasions when he decided to dictate the rallies. The serve needs more work but actually I could see him hanging around inside the top 100 (to contradict what I said a month or so ago). :yeah:

Sapeod
01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Another win under Murray's belt, another thrashing :worship: :worship:

Vida
01-20-2011, 03:49 PM
these newer guys, they just dont figure him out.

*Jean*
01-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Illya :sad: disappointing performance

Raquel
01-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Well done Andy, sounds very comfortable :)

Sapeod
01-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Hardly anyone can figure Murray out. He's a multi-dimensional player who can do a lot on the court.

If he keeps playing like this and if he gets better as the tournament progresses, he will be winning his 1st grand slam.

Clydey
01-20-2011, 05:25 PM

As opposed to?

Jimnik
01-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Shame he's not on Fed's side of the draw. He'll never have the guts to defeat his royal GOATness in a slam final. The Nadal match will be good though.

Ashlar77
01-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Nice and easy for Andy :yeah:

luie
01-20-2011, 06:40 PM
As opposed to?
nadull/novak.:lol:
aka rafole.

v-money
01-20-2011, 07:03 PM
I didn't see the match, but I'm surprised by some of the comments on Marchenko playing aggressive tennis. I've seen parts of other Marchenko matches and I would not call his game offensive (I may even call him a pusher). Hopefully he's made an improvement and is able to move up the rankings but I don't think he's top 30 material, as someone said earlier. Looks like Murray is playing well, anyone giving Garcia-Lopez a chance in the next round (and not just in a joking way)? The bookies have Murray at 1.06 and GGL at like 9, right now, that's a virtual lock.

philosophicalarf
01-20-2011, 07:46 PM
I didn't see the match, but I'm surprised by some of the comments on Marchenko playing aggressive tennis. I've seen parts of other Marchenko matches and I would not call his game offensive

He knew his normal game would be no use against Murray, so he was went psycho-aggressive (for him) the whole match. Worked at times, but was never going to last.

Corey Feldman
01-20-2011, 08:35 PM
keep going son, you and Soderling are the only ones who can save this rancid tournament

Clydey
01-20-2011, 09:31 PM
nadull/novak.:lol:
aka rafole.

I was waiting for him to say Djokovic, actually. :lol:

Goldenoldie
01-20-2011, 10:47 PM
In 10 years time the former Soviet bloc countries will dominate world tennis

fast_clay
01-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen...

Tradesman at work motherf***ers...

Nadaltards... i bet you are sh!tting in your boots... just like your hero... the Tradesman is gonna go to work on Nadall's knees with a Sledgehammer ie; The Murray Backhand