"Unfair" draws [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"Unfair" draws

bigBOSS
01-20-2011, 12:54 AM
Why does Fed always get tough draws at the AO? He's had hard matches every single time.

This year its no different: Top 8 player in 2nd round, took him to five sets. Nadal plays against pussies all the way to QF at least.

Do hard matches early help players find their form, or does it weaken them for the rest of the tournament?

paseo
01-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Nalbandian got a former #1 in the 1st round.

bigBOSS
01-20-2011, 12:59 AM

another BS.

Are the draw makers smoking a bong while they come up with the draw?

Why would you put low ranks vs low ranks and good players vs good players in the early rounds?

That BS is beyond me.

abraxas21
01-20-2011, 01:21 AM
yah but simon was totally unfocused because he had become a father the night before. his mind was totally not in the game when he played nadull at the USO.

Paylu2007
01-20-2011, 01:51 AM
very nice bulge from simon, but hewitt is the king :D

abraxas21
01-20-2011, 01:52 AM
well, i don't think he was focused at all tbh.

i seem to recall he said in press conference before the match that all he wanted was to go home or something to that extent

Snowwy
01-20-2011, 02:05 AM
If you feel the need to complain about a draw, do it here, but keep it nice. :)

ossie
01-20-2011, 02:23 AM
If you feel the need to complain about a draw, do it here, but keep it nice. :)why the fuck does my favorite player always get hard draws what is this shit :banghead: you're a moderator do something about it raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaageeeeeee :fiery:

abraxas21
01-20-2011, 02:29 AM
why the fuck does my favorite player always get hard draws what is this shit :banghead: you're a moderator do something about it raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaageeeeeee :fiery:

gee, take it easy, man, it's just a draw thread.

some times a player gets lucky with the draw and other times not so much. nadal clearly got lucky here

samjones
01-20-2011, 02:40 AM
another BS.

Are the draw makers smoking a bong while they come up with the draw?

Why would you put low ranks vs low ranks and good players vs good players in the early rounds?

That BS is beyond me.

> randomly drawn from top to bottom of the draw by IBM computer technology.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/event_guide/a_z_guide.html

IBM computer technology is way too lame to pull a bong.

It is true that a low-ranked player can get a lucky draw and play another low ranked player in the first round. That cannot happen after that. After that, the only way a low-ranked player can play a low-ranked player is if a low-ranked player beats a high-ranked player to make that happen.

MTwEeZi
01-20-2011, 02:45 AM
why the fuck does my favorite player always get hard draws what is this shit :banghead: you're a moderator do something about it raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaageeeeeee :fiery:

http://myspace.roflposters.com/images/rofl/myspace/1235388714405.jpg.[roflposters.com].myspace.jpg

01-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Being a fan of Roger Federer, even I have to admit some of his GS draws were not that difficult on paper. It wouldnt have mattered much though as I believe he was playing so out of his mind I doubt there was anyone who could have beaten him.

Its pointless to argue about easy draws anyway, its subjective what an easy draw is relative to the form said player is in. And it could hardly be blamed on the player anyway, he can only play whos infront of him, and if better players cant do the donkey work in early rounds to get through to meet him later on, thats not his fault, just like it wasnt Feds fault (but certainly his fortune!) that Nadal wasnt across from the net in the 09 French Open final.

But whats bugged me over the last year or so is that NO BODY seems to play out of their skin when they meet Nadal in a slam. I remember Federer in 07 for example. Phau played very well against him in the first round. Roddick had an exceptional tournament, played reasonable against Fed in the semi, but Fed was just ON FIRE. Gonzalez in the final was playing out of this world, he was truely the best player in the tournamet along with Fed in the final. People often talk of Rogers matches being won in the locker room, but I dont remember players bowing down for him, infact I remember players used to take it to him, play out of their skin, they really had nothing to lose.

The biggest test Rafa had last year was when Almagro and Garbageville took the first two sets to tiebreaks in the US Open and French Open. They are the only ones I think played "well" against Rafa. Sure Petzchner and Hasse took Rafa to five sets at Wimbledon, but they ruined their chances by playing doubles, the results of the matches were NID.

Everyone else was just a joke against him. The USO Semi was a joke, Rafas opponent might as well have handed the match to him, he didnt even look interested in making it a contest. Fernando Verdasco didnt even bother turning up. I dont believe Rafa played all that well at the French actually, he looked very shakey at times. Soderling was too tired in the final to put up any serious resistance. That seems to always be the way with Rafa, he gets lucky and meets an opponent who "could" blast him off the court but is always coming from a tough 5 set match or 2 and just cant put the fight up. People will say its not Rafas fault and fitness is a part of the game, but those same people will also use the tired excuse when someone beats Rafa also. Berdyctch is capable of giving Rafa a fight, and yet in the Wimbledon final he was PATHETIC by his standards. What a letdown that truely was. These players seem to be happy with their scalp of reaching the final and taking out Federer, they dont seem interested in taking it the one step further.

The only player with a good chance of beating Rafa is Roger. Hes the only one fit enough to come through a tournament and put up a fight in the final, regardless of how many sets he plays. And at 29 years of age, it doesnt say much about the depth of the game does it?

Everko
01-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Do you understand tennis? It's because Rafa's relentless style of play wears an opponent down and forces them to play at a lower level and then he can destruct them easily.

Jaz
01-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Fact:

In USO he didn't play anybody in the top 10 till the final... (excluding verdasco the mug)
Federer: Played 2 players in the top 10, in Q and S.

In French Open he didn't play anybody within in the top 20 till the final.
Federer: Played a top 20 in Q and lost.

Jaz
01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
So he played 2 top 10 players out of a possible 3 at the USO.

I guess Roddick and Murray would have taken him out at RG.

What about Wimbledon??

At Wimbledon he played Soderling, Murray and Bershit.

Which is actually a really good performance.

Sapeod
01-20-2011, 09:18 PM
I know.

Nadull gets easy draws and his opponents play awful against him = easy wins.

Even the top players seem to play crap against him, and no, it's not because of his style of play (Everko, lol), it's because they play crap in the first place and play crap throughout the match.
Only player that seems to play well against him all the time is Murray.

rocketassist
01-20-2011, 09:21 PM
This has some water. Nadal hits a lot of attackable balls, he's not like Federer whereby he's completely in charge of proceedings, against Nadal you will get the ball at shoulder-height, and the opportunity to flatten out shots.

But that's why the tour's so shit, cause few people are any good at doing it.

Jaz
01-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I know.

Nadull gets easy draws and his opponents play awful against him = easy wins.

Even the top players seem to play crap against him, and no, it's not because of his style of play (Everko, lol), it's because they play crap in the first place and play crap throughout the match.
Only player that seems to play well against him all the time is Murray.

But not at Wimbledon?

The fact is that Nadal did get an easy draw in USO and FO, hence the complaining about the AO draw.

luie
01-20-2011, 09:28 PM
USO on paper & actuality was a very weak draw.
At the FO in this era there isn't a difficult draw for him.
Wimby was OK.

ApproachShot
01-20-2011, 09:29 PM
To be fair, Verdasco gave Nadal one heck of a match at the Australian Open in 2009. But I agree with your argument in principle - which is that the best players seem to make draws appear easy for them regardless of the opposition. Of course, one could delve into analysis about the number of seeds he has faced in recent Grand Slam draws, but one must also consider that Nadal wasn't fazed by Murray or Berdych at Wimbledon last year either.

Jaz
01-20-2011, 09:29 PM
there is no tough draw for Nadal at RG, unless he plays Soderling every round when its cold and wet

The fact that he didn't really play any of the top seeds or anywhere near before the final might indicate why he was completely untested.

Also the entire field must also suck on clay for not getting to Q and S lol.

01-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Fact - Federer lost the first set against Tommy Hass at 2009 French Open despite not losing a point on serve.

Fact - he played two very tough matches against Haas and Del Potro in 5 setters before straight setting Soderling in the final, had this been Nadal he surely would have been too tired to play in the final.

Fact - This AO Nadal has had two joke opponents so far. Wozniaki would have put up a better fight that Sweeting did.

Fact - Most of the players capable to beating Nadal are all playing against each other in the earlier rounds.

Fact - Windian Wells hardly counts. Murray owns Nadal on hardcourt slams. Even in 2007 AO he should have won, he was outplaying him by miles. I would go as far as saying he was f*cking him up at times. Led 4-1 in the second set but couldnt close it out due to inexperience.

SetSampras
01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Fed Fans should never talk about accusing Nadal of having weak draws since Fed had a slew of Clown-cakewalks over the last 7 years. Nadal has had some easy draws but Fed had his share of crap draws where the only threat he would have to go through were his two pidgeons Hewitt and Roddick or old 40 year old broke back Agassi on the last leg of his career to get a slam title.

Not to mention Nadal went through Fed 6 TIMES in 9 of his slams to get his slam titles

Having to go through Djokovic or Murray or Prime Nadal is more difficult then going through A-joke, Hewitt past his prime, or Andre in the final years of his career., Gonzales, Baghaditis, on-off again Safin, Davydenko who sucks at slams or Nalbandian who sucks at slams or baby pre-prime Nadal. Personally,I have been more impressed with what Fed has had to go through in the last 2 years or so to try and get his slam titles compared to what he went through in 04-07.

Sapeod
01-20-2011, 09:35 PM
It's funny, except for a few matches where he's won, Nadull is usually beaten when his opponents play well.

abraxas21
01-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Fed Fans should never talk about accusing Nadal of having weak draws since Fed had a slew of Clown-cakewalks over the last 7 years. Nadal has had some easy draws but Fed had his share of crap draws where the only threat he would have to go through were his two pidgeons Hewitt and Roddick or old 40 year old broke back Agassi on the last leg of his career to get a slam title.

Not to mention Nadal went through Fed 6 TIMES in 9 of his slams to get his slam titles

Having to go through Djokovic or Murray or Prime Nadal is more difficult then going through A-joke, Hewitt past his prime, or Andre in the final years of his career., Gonzales, Baghaditis, on-off again Safin, Davydenko who sucks at slams or Nalbandian who sucks at slams or baby pre-prime Nadal. Personally,I have been more impressed with what Fed has had to go through in the last 2 years or so to try and get his slam titles compared to what he went through in 04-07.

spoken like a true sampras tard.

go watch some old videos now

Jaz
01-20-2011, 09:50 PM

Usual Sampras tard, talking nonsense again. His draws were never all that easy, and in some of the slams he's won he's gone through many former champions.

The situation is completely different right now, where the only "former champion" in Federer (16 slams) and Djoko (1 slam) for Nadal. Back when Federer was "growing up" - he was beating Hewitt (2 slams), Agassi (8 slams), Roddick (1 slam), Sampras (14 slams), Safin (2 slams).

So really if Nadal beats Federer or Djoko, or both don't make it, Nadal plays somebody who has no ability or history of winning a slam.

kronus12
01-20-2011, 09:50 PM
geez face the facts you nadal turds the first guy was ranked 96 in the world the second ranked 116 in the world talk about a easy draw. Of course Nadal will easily beat them, that american he played last some of his first serves was under 140 km an hour.

luie
01-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Fact - Federer lost the first set against Tommy Hass at 2009 French Open despite not losing a point on serve.

Fact - he played two very tough matches against Haas and Del Potro in 5 setters before straight setting Soderling in the final, had this been Nadal he surely would have been too tired to play in the final.

Fact - This AO Nadal has had two joke opponents so far. Wozniaki would have put up a better fight that Sweeting did.

Fact - Most of the players capable to beating Nadal are all playing against each other in the earlier rounds.

Fact - Windian Wells hardly counts. Murray owns Nadal on hardcourt slams. Even in 2007 AO he should have won, he was outplaying him by miles. I would go as far as saying he was f*cking him up at times. Led 4-1 in the second set but couldnt close it out due to inexperience.
Fed's FO 09 & nadull's USO 10 are similiar.
You can bring up haas/del-po @ the french or Novak @ the USO but these players have not done well traditionally against the top.
Bottom line Fed was lucky he avoided nadull,,, nadull lucky he avoided Del-po,Murray.
The clay era is weak & fed also benefitted from it.
It took great play & weather conditions for soderling defeat both nadull & fed. Hot & sunny for nadull/cool & damp for fed.Otherwise they would have contested every FO final from 06-10.

luie
01-20-2011, 09:52 PM

Are you by chance Sampras telephone voice message recording.:lol:

01-20-2011, 09:56 PM

Wow he went through his pigeon, big suprise.

I honestly think it was a favour in some ways.

I would have given Roddick a decent chance against him in 09 AO final. Peak Roddick beats peak Capsical on hard courts.

mark73
01-20-2011, 10:00 PM

Sampras, your hero, is a trillion times better than federr. You are right this is an easy era which is the only reason why Fed beat the records of your god.

mark73
01-20-2011, 10:02 PM

Sampras is God. :worship:

FormerRafaFan
01-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Why does Fed always get tough draws at the AO? He's had hard matches every single time.

This year its no different: Top 8 player in 2nd round, took him to five sets. Nadal plays against pussies all the way to QF at least.

Do hard matches early help players find their form, or does it weaken them for the rest of the tournament?

Yes, so it's actually not an advantage for Rafa to have an "easy" draw. I still think he'll be able to win without difficult matches too though. But it wouldn't be so bad to have someone challenge him before a potential clash with Söderling/Murray/Fed.

01-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Shampras would be eaten alive by todays players.

Ichiban1920
01-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Shampras would be eaten alive by todays players.

Nadull wouldn't even make it to the top 50 in the nineties.

FedFan
01-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Not only does he get easy draws, Courier mentioned that the balls they use this year are heavier and higher bouncing.

Courier is mentioning it after 2 Minutes in this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B2stFzwWzo

Nathaliia
01-20-2011, 11:55 PM
and a future #1 in the 2n round

ultimate bias

SetSampras
01-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Usual Sampras tard, talking nonsense again. His draws were never all that easy, and in some of the slams he's won he's gone through many former champions.

The situation is completely different right now, where the only "former champion" in Federer (16 slams) and Djoko (1 slam) for Nadal. Back when Federer was "growing up" - he was beating Hewitt (2 slams), Agassi (8 slams), Roddick (1 slam), Sampras (14 slams), Safin (2 slams).

So really if Nadal beats Federer or Djoko, or both don't make it, Nadal plays somebody who has no ability or history of winning a slam.

Aye..... Why don't you include where the guys were in their respective careers when Fed played them exactly.. Not just stating their accomplishments. Thats make things a little more even dont u think?

Djoker in 08.. I will agree with u here. I feel Djoker was more of a deadly player back in late 07-mid 08 slightly then he is now. Agassi? When exactly 2004-2005 when he was literally on his LAST LEG and during the final years of his career at 34-35 years of age and suffering from sciatica. Roddick? Pidgeon. Agassi in his 30s was owning Roddick before Fed starting owning him.

Hewitt? Failed to make it of the 4th at the slams tons of times and from already slowed down and riddled with injuries from 2006-on. Nadal 04-07 was still coming into his own. 2006 wimbledon, nadal was just playing in his 4th grasscourt tournament EVER, still sucked on hardcourts, and was just a dynamo on clay. Not the consistent top player in the world that we see now. Sampras in 2001 already much passed his prime, going 35-16 for the year with 0 TITLES!!! Kind of proof that Sampras' best days were long gone by then. Safin? Ok showed up once every 5 years to play tennis. THe epitome of inconsistent despite being a great talent.

Jaz
01-21-2011, 12:01 AM
:haha: fluke clay court player, this Nadal

That's not what I said.

I said he was completely untested during the entire slam, and that the rest of the top seeded field must have sucked if none of them could get anywhere near the finals.

Yukimura
01-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Ya, Nadaltards secretly bought ATP so that they could hand-pick Nadal draws in GS :aplot:

Priam
01-21-2011, 12:40 AM
The draw on paper never really pans out anyway (see Murray vs Nadal at '10 USO). In the end you can only play who is across the net.

hyperren
01-21-2011, 03:04 AM
I can never understand people who whine about "unfair draws" when all of these are completely random.

Don't start with the conspiracy theories, please.

Mjau!
01-21-2011, 03:43 AM
Robin always gets the best players as early as possible in a draw. Very unfair.

Mjau!
01-21-2011, 03:51 AM
I can never understand people who whine about "unfair draws" when all of these are completely random.

Don't start with the conspiracy theories, please.

Maybe it shouldn't be totally random??? Like, players who face each other in r4 of a slam cannot be drawn in the same 1/8 of the next major and players who contested a QF in one slam cannot be drawn in the same quarter in the following? And so one until the final.

Wow, what a great suggestion! :yeah:

fast_clay
01-21-2011, 04:05 AM
Maybe it shouldn't be totally random??? Like, players who face each other in r4 of a slam cannot be drawn in the same 1/8 of the next major and players who contested a QF in one slam cannot be drawn in the same quarter in the following? And so one until the final.

Wow, what a great suggestion! :yeah:

ahhh, you're such a little treasure :bigwave:

Mjau!
01-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Thank you! :) I think it's a clever and viable idea.