Apologizing for net-cords is stupid [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Apologizing for net-cords is stupid

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 05:31 PM
but i can understand it. as stupid as i've always found it, i also used to apologize for favourable net-cords when i played tennis. i guess it would seem weird and unclassy if the players didn't do it but then again, it is such an unsincere apology that i'd greatly appreacciate if the habit of doing it would just die out.

Certinfy
01-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Totally agreed.

Silvester
01-19-2011, 05:40 PM
agreed. why apologize for winning the point...

misty1
01-19-2011, 05:41 PM
plus its not like any of the players actually mean it when they apologize anyway

Caralimon
01-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Fortunately tennis is still a gentlemen's sport, not matter how anachronical it may sound. Unsincere apologies and handshaking are a major part of it.

bigBOSS
01-19-2011, 10:51 PM
net chords are super gay and when they happen, apologising is like a way of telling your opponent "i agree it sucks but don't rage"

oranges
01-19-2011, 11:00 PM
net chords are super gay and when they happen, apologising is like a way of telling your opponent "i agree it sucks but don't rage"

Not sure what the gay part was supposed to be about, but the bolded part is spot on. And it's not insincere in that respect, every one of them knows it sucks when it happens to you.

Nathaliia
01-19-2011, 11:03 PM
I agree with this interpretation. Have to say when I played it was an instict to raise my hand in apologising manner.
More like a "chill"

BK 201
01-19-2011, 11:04 PM
When I've had let cords work in my favour I normally still fist pump or celebrate. Sometimes I've even laughed. You have to send a message to your opponent. Try making them mentally implode. Unless some people play better when they get angry with their opponent, then you've won the mental battle - which will more likely lead to get the victory.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
01-19-2011, 11:17 PM
http://1.2.3.13/bmi/www.emotasia.com/wp-content/uploads/cute-animated-japanese-kitten-grey-1.gif

its nice to be nice even if u dont mean it, its better than being mean and meaning it

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2011, 11:21 PM
I apologize for all my shots.

I know they're too good.

Paylu2007
01-19-2011, 11:21 PM
When I've had let cords work in my favour I normally still fist pump or celebrate. Sometimes I've even laughed. You have to send a message to your opponent. Try making them mentally implode. Unless some people play better when they get angry with their opponent, then you've won the mental battle - which will more likely lead to get the victory.

oh, i think there's a WHY WTF hates ALMAGRO thread out there, this would be a very reasonable point :D

Ppl tend to not like disrespectful players; but u definetely have a point there :) Its all strategy.

BK 201
01-19-2011, 11:23 PM
oh, i think there's a WHY WTF hates ALMAGRO thread out there, this would be a very reasonable point :D

Ppl tend to not like disrespectful players; but u definetely have a point there :) Its all strategy.

Hewitt acted like a prick ON COURT (off court he seemed kwl), it was just a ploy because he didn't have the technical ability of someone like Safin (who won the same amount of slams); he just thrived on winning the mental battle.

A_Skywalker
01-19-2011, 11:32 PM

Thats true.

Voo de Mar
01-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Apologizing for net-cords sucks and is overestimated as a component of tennis etiquette :o I don't know exactly when it began to be a habit but in the 70's and 80's "no-one" apologized for winning a point that way, Becker didn't apologize Lendl even when thanks to the net-cord on a match point beat him 5-7, 7-6(5), 3-6, 6-2, 7-6(5) in the Masters final '88. This ridiculous habit had to appear somewhere in the 90's and tries to work as a part of tennis history which is untrue.

abraxas21
01-20-2011, 12:32 AM
apologizing for netcords is an integral part of this mug era

Voo de Mar
01-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Another stupid thing is apologizing for winning points after hitting the ball with the frame of the racquet :retard: This way not in a distant future we will have more hypocritical apologizing than a normal play ;)

ossie
01-20-2011, 12:45 AM
i think rafa actually means it when he apologizes, can't say the same about many other players

solowyn
01-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Another stupid thing is apologizing for winning points after hitting the ball with the frame of the racquet :retard: This way not in a distant future we will have more hypocritical apologizing than a normal play ;)
Or apologising after hitting aces :lol:

samjones
01-20-2011, 01:45 AM

It's like apologizing to someone because your life doesn't suck and theirs does.

heh heh - gay.

BlueSoul Formula
01-20-2011, 01:47 AM
It is what gentleman do. If you cannot stoop down and compromise your extreme ego then you should not play this gentleman's sport.

Arakasi
01-20-2011, 01:49 AM
I don't really see it as apologising. You're just acknowledging you were lucky.

tennisfan856
01-20-2011, 02:08 AM
I don't mind an apology if it's genuine. Most aren't unfortunately.

Seingeist
01-20-2011, 02:14 AM
Yeah, the anti-apology remarks in this thread are off the mark.

A net cord shot is just one of several things that players "apologize" for in the category of shots that are won by "accident," or with "luck," as opposed to skill and intention. I think it was in the Dodig-Djokovic match yesterday, Dodig was running to retrieve a ball, his back was facing Djokovic and he just desperately swung his racquet. He turned his had back and realized that he had managed to hit a dtl winner, and he held his racquet up to apologize. He seemed to be acknowledging that he was not aiming for that spot (or any spot) on the court at all, but just swung his racquet blindly and managed to get lucky.

Similar scenario when they hit balls off the frame of the racquet. That's not what they intended to do, so the outcome is ruled by chance or luck, as opposed to controlled skill and intention. The apology is to acknowledge to your opponent that the point was won somewhat "cheaply."

In fact, I don't know why people are assuming that it is necessarily insincere. I doubt that the better, self-respecting players prefer to win their points on cheap net cords, as opposed to well-played shots.

Dmitry Verdasco
01-20-2011, 02:14 AM
agreed. why apologize for winning the point...

True.

They don't apologize for hitting the net if the ball sits up and the opponent hits it for a winner.

DUMB. Get over this weak etiquette shit.

Voo de Mar
01-20-2011, 02:17 AM
I don't know how apologizing for a net-cord would be genuine :shrug: The main purpose in tennis is to win points, no matter whether they are obtained after clean shots, mis-hits, net-cords or minimal lines after challenges. IMO tennis players should apologize only for hitting their opponents with the ball in the body if it didn't happen intentionally.

djb84xi
01-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Glad somebody said it. That's just real damn dumb. Why should I apologize because I won the point in a rather awkward way? I suppose if I hit a 141mph out wide for an ace, I should apologize for that too? LOL

abraxas21
01-20-2011, 02:19 AM
IMO tennis players should apologize only for hitting their opponents with the ball in the body if it didn't happen intentionally.

what if it happens intentionally? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5PbMCRN5xo

oranges
01-20-2011, 02:20 AM
I don't know how apologizing for a net-cord would be genuine :shrug: The main purpose in tennis is to win points, no matter whether they are obtained after clean shots, mis-hits, net-cords or minimal lines after challenges. IMO tennis players should apologize only for hitting their opponents with the ball in the body if it didn't happen intentionally.

Because it's not an apology, it's an acknowledgment you got lucky.

abraxas21
01-20-2011, 02:22 AM

why would you need to acknowledge something that's already self-evident to everyone?

BlueSoul Formula
01-20-2011, 02:26 AM
why would you need to acknowledge something that's already self-evident to everyone?

It's just being a good sportsman. Without sportsmanship the game(or any game for that matter) would crumble.

oranges
01-20-2011, 02:28 AM

I think the guy earlier in the thread summed it up perfectly 'Yeah, I know it sucks, don't rage? That's what you're saying with 'apology', you're not saying 'oh, I'm so sorry I won the point', you're acknowledging you know it sucks when you're on the receiving end of it. Since you've been the lucky one here, you can afford to be that generous ;)

Voo de Mar
01-20-2011, 02:29 AM
what if it happens intentionally? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5PbMCRN5xo

Fena was pissed by Stepanek's antics so he did it deliberately, no need to apologize for that, he didn't and was sincere in his reaction, the other thing is, was it necessary in those circumstances?

Voo de Mar
01-20-2011, 02:31 AM

Thinking this way, players should make the hand gesture every time when the challenge overrules a decision of the umpire or the linesman to their favor :p It's impossible to win on purpose the point barely hitting the line just like win the point with the help of the net-cord :)

oranges
01-20-2011, 02:40 AM
I don't know that painting the lines is comparable to a net cord. Pretty sure most of the the pros can aim for the lines and make it a reasonable amount of times. Also pretty sure the amount of times they'll aim for a net cord and make it a winning point would be nowhere near that because they are in effect relying on luck and not skill. Too many variables with net cord to be about skill at all.

Voo de Mar
01-20-2011, 02:43 AM
I don't know that painting the lines is comparable to a net cord. Pretty sure most of the the pros can aim for the lines and make it a reasonable amount of times.

On service I'd agree, but in a fast rally with a changeable pace it's impossible to think "ok, now I'm hitting the line" :lol:

abraxas21
01-20-2011, 02:45 AM
I think the guy earlier in the thread summed it up perfectly 'Yeah, I know it sucks, don't rage? That's what you're saying with 'apology', you're not saying 'oh, I'm so sorry I won the point', you're acknowledging you know it sucks when you're on the receiving end of it. Since you've been the lucky one here, you can afford to be that generous ;)

well, i dunno, seems unnecessary tbh.

you're basically saying "it sucks for you that i got lucky here" -i don't see the point in it.

and besides, like voo said, there's always a luck factor in every shot you make. obvs there's a higher luck-factor with net-cords but at the end it's a matter of degrees...

samjones
01-20-2011, 02:46 AM
It's just being a good sportsman. Without sportsmanship the game(or any game for that matter) would crumble.

Not in Oakland and not in Philly.

oranges
01-20-2011, 02:47 AM
We can argue how much it's skill, but the point remains, one is pure luck, the other involves skill. I'm not sure what's the fuss about. They spend half a second on saying 'yeah mate, I know it sucks' while going back to service line :shrug:

Voo de Mar
01-20-2011, 03:06 AM
The ball touching the tape produces some type of obsessive-compulsive disorder among tennis players :lol: I'm watching Lopez-Tomic now, and Lopez made the hand gesture after the first point in the 11th game of the 2nd set after an overhead which was 7-10 meters out of Tomic's range. Lopez did it only because the ball barely touched the tape :D

freeandlonely
01-20-2011, 03:45 AM
agree, there is no need
but on the other hand, whatever

btw, Roger seldom apologize for that, or he does that in just a second, which is good

and Nadal will always be Nadal

Jesmond10
01-20-2011, 04:12 AM
I don't know if this has been posted already, but it's not actually an apology. It's a simple acknowledgement to your opponent that there was an element of good fortune in your winning the point. That's why it is considered decent manners, and why it is considered poor manners to celebrate winning a point in which luck determined the outcome.

Corey Feldman
01-20-2011, 04:31 AM
its etiquette

if player didnt show the hand it would annoy the opponent

seen some WTA players who just fist pump a let cord

bokehlicious
01-20-2011, 08:34 AM
i think rafa actually means it when he apologizes, can't say the same about many other players

Rafito is such an angel :hearts: :inlove: :drool:

:retard:

Nathaliia
01-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Let's get rid of the obligatory handshake too, since those are obviously insincere.
This Capdeville's and Ancic's handshake looked incredibly sincere though.

ossie
01-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Rafito is such an angel :hearts: :inlove: :drool:

:retard:
just my attempt at hijacking and turning this into another fedal thread

Orka_n
01-20-2011, 10:02 AM
hey spend half a second on saying 'yeah mate, I know it sucks' while going back to service line :shrug:This. I have nothing against a polite hand gesture from a player to acknowledge he's was lucky in that particular point.

Matt01
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Apologizing for let-cords shows class and respect for your oponent. Anyone who doesn't do it gets on my black list.

just my attempt at hijacking and turning this into another fedal thread

Believe me, he was more than happy to take the bait :lol:

Topspindoctor
01-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Apologizing for let-cords shows class and respect for your oponent. Anyone who doesn't do it gets on my black list.

:yeah:

Seingeist
01-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Someone needs to watch a few Hewitt matches closely to see if a net cord elicits an apologetic hand or a boisterous "C'mon!!!"

bornnl
08-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Tennis must be only sport where players apologize for slips,net luck,and so.
It is rediculus.., like in football you apologizes when opponent hit a bar or post..,it is part of a court and no need for this stupid tradition.

Manduco
08-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Guess it's just tradition. But you're right, I'm sure deep inside they're telling themselves.... "YES" !!!!!

Time Violation
08-31-2011, 10:13 PM
They should fist pump :p

hipolymer
08-31-2011, 10:13 PM
I've always thought this, but there are some players that don't apologize.

tennishero
08-31-2011, 10:14 PM
if someone accidently hits you with their bike, you should expect an apology. same concept here.

if you are dominating the rally your opponent hits a weak shot but the let cord makes it a winner than its obviously unlucky and annoying.

Nixer
08-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Because they didn't mean to hit that kind of shot/winner

jcempire
08-31-2011, 10:20 PM
well... It can go either way.... but you luck why not apologize

JMG
08-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Especially in WTA there are players that don't apologize.

bornnl
08-31-2011, 10:29 PM
it is stupid tradition..,like in basket guy have a open 3 point shoot and he hits bar and other team should apologize..,really they should make some kind of manifest where this rule is being terminated..,and no more hard feelings for players who dont apologize

nole_no1
08-31-2011, 10:33 PM
Because tennis is the "white" sport...is the gentlemen's sport and they apologize for lucky shots
Like in snooker for instance, another sport called "gentlemen's sport" they apologize when they pot a shot because of luck

Aenea
08-31-2011, 10:35 PM
it is stupid tradition..,like in basket guy have a open 3 point shoot and he hits bar and other team should apologize..,really they should make some kind of manifest where this rule is being terminated..,and no more hard feelings for players who dont apologize

I don't think it is a written rule. Is it?

Because tennis is the "white" sport...is the gentlemen's sport and they apologize for lucky shots
Like in snooker for instance, another sport called "gentlemen's sport" they apologize when they pot a shot because of luck

Snooker? A sport? :lol:

nole_no1
08-31-2011, 10:39 PM

Yes a sport

Sunset of Age
08-31-2011, 10:41 PM
It's a friendly gesture, nothing more, nothing less.

Sham Kay
08-31-2011, 10:50 PM
They apologise in snooker? Never noticed that. Though the guy sitting down always looks displeased sipping on his water to care.

alter ego
08-31-2011, 10:52 PM
vhFArnCrPAM&feature=related

Orka_n
08-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Rather than a straightforward apology, it's more of an acknowledgment that "it was luck, I know it sucks mate". The players probably do it because they know all too well how frustrating it is to lose a point that they feel they should have won.
I have nothing against this gesture at all.

nole_no1
08-31-2011, 10:55 PM
They apologise in snooker? Never noticed that. Though the guy sitting down always looks displeased sipping on his water to care.

Yes the player who made the lucky shot raises his hand

Pirata.
08-31-2011, 11:28 PM

Yes a sport

:haha:

Tenn1sAdd1ct
09-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Tennis must be only sport where players apologize for slips,net luck,and so.
It is rediculus.., like in football you apologizes when opponent hit a bar or post..,it is part of a court and no need for this stupid tradition.

:facepalm:

ossie
09-01-2011, 12:16 AM
nadal is about the only guy who means it

Silver.
09-01-2011, 12:56 AM

This. This should be made the compulsory reaction to a net cord.

:haha:

Orka_n
09-01-2011, 01:01 AM
nadal is about the only guy who means it:haha:

freeandlonely
09-01-2011, 02:41 AM
nadal is about the only guy who means it

:superlol:

Watch wimby 2011 ceremony again and other 4 times he lost to Djokovic. That's his true color.

Topspindoctor
09-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Because ATP tennis is classy sport. Would you like players to "Ajde" or "Come on" on net cords the way Ivanovic and Sharapova do? It would be a disgrace :o

freeandlonely
09-01-2011, 02:45 AM

That's good.:yeah:

abraxas21
09-01-2011, 02:46 AM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=175662

abraxas21
09-01-2011, 02:50 AM
:superlol:

Watch wimby 2011 ceremony again and other 4 times he lost to Djokovic. That's his true color.

whats funnier is that ossie made the same point in the thread i made several months ago

abraxas21
09-01-2011, 02:55 AM
shankerer should have apologized 3 times after winning this point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVmOJZ21COA

Mountaindewslave
09-01-2011, 04:33 AM
Fortunately tennis is still a gentlemen's sport, not matter how anachronical it may sound. Unsincere apologies and handshaking are a major part of it.

yes and this is what makes tennis a very special sport. so few have the grace and sportsmanship and gentleman attitude that tennis does.... apologizing for a net cord which by the way would be a rather lucky way to win a point, is not a hard thing to understand as far as to why a person would apologize. it is totally appropriate and if anything it shows class making some signal that a player recognizes a bit of bad luck for his opponent. it's not like ping pong where you can frequently (and to some degree purposely) generate enough top spin to be guranteed a lot of points off of net cords, it is pretty much totally luck given the size of the court and velocity of shots.

i like that players signifiy to some degree, and I think you are mistaking it as an apology, when it's more an example of acknowledging a little bit of luck going their way

Say Hey Kid
09-01-2011, 05:06 AM
I don't know if this has been posted already, but it's not actually an apology. It's a simple acknowledgement to your opponent that there was an element of good fortune in your winning the point. That's why it is considered decent manners, and why it is considered poor manners to celebrate winning a point in which luck determined the outcome.

Well said.

Nothing wrong with acknowledging that you got lucky.

xdrewitdajx
09-01-2011, 09:50 AM
I like what Soderling said about it...it's on youtube but I don't feel like searching for it now. It was something along the lines of "it's stupid for me to pretend I'm sorry when it's the happiest moment of my life"

I understand it's more of a "yeah, it sucks, I know" thing than supposed to be taken as "I am genuinely sorry I won this point"

MaxPower
09-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I like what Soderling said about it...it's on youtube but I don't feel like searching for it now. It was something along the lines of "it's stupid for me to pretend I'm sorry when it's the happiest moment of my life"

I understand it's more of a "yeah, it sucks, I know" thing than supposed to be taken as "I am genuinely sorry I won this point"

Yes Soderling said it after his legendary 5-seter with Nadal in 2007. But to be fair he does apologize to most players :) Around 1:08 in

FEMDa3lilkw

Nole fan
09-01-2011, 11:12 AM
but i can understand it. as stupid as i've always found it, i also used to apologize for favourable net-cords when i played tennis. i guess it would seem weird and unclassy if the players didn't do it but then again, it is such an unsincere apology that i'd greatly appreacciate if the habit of doing it would just die out.

Finally we agree. :yeah:

VolandriFan
09-01-2011, 11:17 AM
I never got the whole "insincere apology" thing. It's apologising that you didn't have to earn the point; it was not by your doing or your opponent's error, but by luck.