What about Roger's walkabouts? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What about Roger's walkabouts?

Roger the Dodger
01-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Repeated inexplicable collapses when you are playing a great match and then losing from a winning position.
Is it nerves?
Is it concentration relapse?
Is it age? Match ups?

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy76/liapp/x2_43ba211.jpg
She's not the only one doing this.

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
well, gilles began to play better from the half of the second set onwards. it's not just federer having a slip.

but yeah, fed has always been prone to mental lapses. sometimes they last a lot, other times litte.

Jaz
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
I think he gets nervous.

Tennis is a high pressure sport, sadly for Roger, even as the GOAT, there is immense pressure on him to avoid defeats.

Sophocles
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
The most talented players are prone to this sort of thing.

luie
01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Its difficult for fed to remain awake against these pushers.

rofe
01-19-2011, 03:44 PM
This is not news, Fed was simply able to manage it better before.

nadal_slam_king
01-19-2011, 03:45 PM
When you get old you become less fearless and lose your nerve. Federer has lost it.

The most talented players are prone to this sort of thing.

Except for Rafa of course.

Topspindoctor
01-19-2011, 03:46 PM
He's getting old.

Jaz
01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
When you get old you become less fearless and lose your nerve. Federer has lost it.

Actually I think Rafa is getting it too. The big point is how you deal with it, and imo, Federer is dealing with it fine for now.

Sophocles
01-19-2011, 03:53 PM

I said talented.

GSMnadal
01-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Combination of arrogance and loss of focus. He's 2-0 up, thinking he's so much better than the opponent, starts planning what to do in about 15 minutes time, and all of a sudden he becomes sloppy and nonchalant.

nadal_slam_king
01-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Actually I think Rafa is getting it too. The big point is how you deal with it, and imo, Federer is dealing with it fine for now.

I said talented.

Rafa is head and shoulders above everybody else mentally, he's the polar opposite to Federer. Watch the AO Final for more information.

ossie
01-19-2011, 04:19 PM
damn fedking getting doublefacepalmed by his own wife even though i lold i cant say he deserved it

Sophocles
01-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Rafa is head and shoulders above everybody else mentally, he's the polar opposite to Federer. Watch the AO Final for more information.

True but irrelevant.

Commander Data
01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Nothing new here. He won the match lets forget it and move.

Zagor
01-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Repeated inexplicable collapses when you are playing a great match and then losing from a winning position.
Is it nerves?
Is it concentration relapse?
Is it age? Match ups?

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy76/liapp/x2_43ba211.jpg
She's not the only one doing this.

Age I guess,he might not be able to keep the high intensity of play for as long as he could when he was at his peak so he has these sudden drops in level during a match.Although Simon is definitely a very tough match-up for him and these courts are slow and hard to hit through so there's that as well.

Either way,it is obvious he has to raise his level quite a bit for the rest of the tourney if he wants to have any chance of defending his title.I still wouldn't write him off for the title here as he had some tough matches in early rounds in for example 2008 USO and AO last year but came through in the end so you never know but if he has to beat say Novak in SF and Nadal in the final let's just say it's gonna be very tough for Roger to pull that off.

Jaz
01-19-2011, 06:10 PM

We'll see how well Nadal is "mentally" when he's 30. When Federer was his age 2004-2006ish Federer was absolutely mentally stable.

I guess you didn't watch much Tennis back then.

Age I guess,he might not be able to keep the high intensity of play for as long as he could when he was at his peak so he has these sudden drops in level during a match.Although Simon is definitely a very tough match-up for him and these courts are slow and hard to hit through so there's that as well.

Either way,it is obvious he has to raise his level quite a bit for the rest of the tourney if he wants to have any chance of defending his title.I still wouldn't write him off for the title here as he had some tough matches in early rounds in for example 2008 USO and AO last year but came through in the end so you never know but if he has to beat say Novak in SF and Nadal in the final let's just say it's gonna be very tough for Roger to pull that off.

I think those players are easier for Roger to deal with, he plays them more than some of these people. For example, he plays more matches against Djoko, Nadal, Murray than for example Simon.

One thing that people seem to forget is that Roger is actually really good at raising his game for big events. USO 2008 is a good example of that, where he was very very dodgy in early rounds and people wrote him off.

A_Skywalker
01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Watch Federer win AO now, there is only Djokovic who can stop him and Nadal in the final(not so possible given that he has to play his nemesis Murray)

Roger the Dodger
01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
I think he gets nervous.

Tennis is a high pressure sport, sadly for Roger, even as the GOAT, there is immense pressure on him to avoid defeats.

It can't be only nerves.

Its difficult for fed to remain awake against these pushers.

I suspect he's not fond of players who keep returning his 'glorious would-be winners', but Roger needs to remind himself the point's not over until its over. He has to try and ready himself for a psychological conditioning where he finishes a point thrice to win it, and doesn't relax before that happens.

Because pushers will push-push-push. At least thrice.

Nothing new here. He won the match lets forget it and move.

I don't know how you can do it as a fan. Doesn't it annoy you when all of a sudden he drops from the sublime to the ridiculous?

We'll see how well Nadal is "mentally" when he's 30. When Federer was his age 2004-2006ish Federer was absolutely mentally stable.

I guess you didn't watch much Tennis back then.

I think those players are easier for Roger to deal with, he plays them more than some of these people. For example, he plays more matches against Djoko, Nadal, Murray than for example Simon.

One thing that people seem to forget is that Roger is actually really good at raising his game for big events. USO 2008 is a good example of that, where he was very very dodgy in early rounds and people wrote him off.

I have been watching tennis for some years now. I remember his remarkable consistency in his glory years, but thing is I believe he can still bring some of that old touch back and the last 5 months of tennis have been a testimony to that.

I don't think having lapses that lead to five setters necessarily lead to him raising his level. In fact, Roger's most sublime when he does it in straights. For me, his perfect AO was 2007. But in 2008, he had that five-setter against Tipsy, in 2009, against Berdych; now this. All his five-setters are scary to say the least, and I hope Roger dodges such situations for good.

Watch Federer win AO now, there is only Djokovic who can stop him and Nadal in the final(not so possible given that he has to play his nemesis Murray)

I am actually still confident about his chances.

Roger the Dodger
01-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Interestingly, this 'walkabout' syndrome seems to affect players with more variety like Federer, Gasquet, Nalbandian.

Players like Nadal, Hewitt etc never have this problem. They are headstrong and don't lose focus for even a moment.

DrJules
01-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Interestingly, this 'walkabout' syndrome seems to affect players with more variety like Federer, Gasquet, Nalbandian.

Players like Nadal, Hewitt etc never have this problem. They are headstrong and don't lose focus for even a moment.

Federer during 2004 to 2007 did win 207 of 226 matches (91.6%) and 439 of 536 sets (81.9%) so seemed to have minimal walkabouts compared to most.

Bigselber
01-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Combination of arrogance and loss of focus. He's 2-0 up, thinking he's so much better than the opponent, starts planning what to do in about 15 minutes time, and all of a sudden he becomes sloppy and nonchalant.

This.. Almost as if he gets bored and lose focus, his footwork become sloppy and that causes him to make more errors

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
01-20-2011, 12:32 AM
http://1.2.3.11/bmi/www.addemoticons.com/emoticon/3d/AddEmoticons0011.gif roger won didnt he, yeesh, some ppl are never happy

http://1.2.3.9/bmi/www.addemoticons.com/emoticon/3d/AddEmoticons0019.gif anyway, i think rog needed a tester early on to get him playing at his best, which he obviously did in the 5th set

http://1.2.3.13/bmi/www.addemoticons.com/emoticon/3d/AddEmoticons00114.gif the less said about sets 3 and 4 the better

http://1.2.3.10/bmi/www.addemoticons.com/emoticon/3d/AddEmoticons00120.gif c'mon rog!!!

Yandr001
01-20-2011, 01:09 AM
I think players just get bored sometimes. Watching Clijsters now and it seems like she's also gone on a bit of a walk-about after getting to 6-1 3-0. It's hard to stay interested if what you're doing isn't all that interesting, I guess.