AO R2 Federer suffers with Simon 6-2 6-3 4-6 4-6 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO R2 Federer suffers with Simon 6-2 6-3 4-6 4-6 6-3

Pages : [1] 2

viruzzz
01-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Roger had a very bad time this match.
Simon is looking so good for the 2011 season.

Roger :worship:
Gilles :worship:

LinkMage
Almost choked another match, this time from 2-0 in sets. Wasted 4 MPs before winning, reminded me of all those losses last year after having MPs.

Hand Nadull the title already. :zzz:

dodo
jesusfed for 2,5 sets and then completely went to sleep. proceeds to get broken 3 straight times and mugs out in epic fashion, spraying errors left and right.
epic performance by simon after being humbled for 2 sets, really got under feds skin. but somehow fed scratches it out in the end with literally only the dropshot working for him.

got to say i was wrong about simon, so kudos to him.
also nice to see fed actually adapting his gameplan instead of dorking out another mug loss.

habibko
great match, best match Simon ever played and an amazing mental showing, yet what a fight from Roger, what a legend :worship:

dedicated to all Nadulltards who doubted Fed's ability to grind his way and show his mental strength, up yours 010

azinna
Good stuff from both. The sort of matches one likes to see.

miura
Never in doubt

Speed of Light
How lucky is this Fed!

TheBoiledEgg
01-19-2011, 12:14 PM
finally he gets by that weasel

Federer !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ouragan
Federror was pathetic for 2 sets. Simon did good.

Seriously, why is there still a handful of haters out there who don't like his playing style? I find it pretty darn good and watchable.

SheepleBuster
Fed was dumb dumb dumb. Angles man. Angles. Work the freaking angles

FedforFrench
Ban this Knightmace guy from this forum..FOR LIFE..

Rik.
01-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Some people here :weirdo:

Good match from Simon :yeah: and well finished by Roger :)

ShotmaKer
what a fight from Simon :worship: what a match :worship: Fed :yeah:

Gnomey
Whoever got night tickets for last night and tonight REALLY got a great deal. Wow.

ApproachShot
Match of the year by far. Simon deserves all the praise after than performance. As for Fed, what a relief to escape such a close match!

shadows
Simon looks to be on his way back towards the top 10

Start da Game
sad ending for a great entertainment provided by the french hero........simon was exhausted in the final set.......had he served first at least in the final set, he would have won........

Bargearse
01-19-2011, 12:16 PM
This should have been a 4th round match, not 2nd. A shame someone had to lose - I like both players and feel Simon played extremely well - especially being 2-0 down. It is not surprising Fed has lost to him twice before. This match may be just what Federer needed to really go far in the tournament. Phew.:eek:

Topspindoctor
Good match, but it sucks that Simon was tired at the end. Luckerer escapes once more.

nole_no1
Nice match
Really surprised by Simon :yeah:
Fed should've done better

Orka_n
Incredible entertainment. Just amazing.

I love tennis.

Jaz
Spartan Federer

henke007
Big lol@ the last 0-40. The TennisGods sure had a fieldday with this1...

doomsday
01-19-2011, 12:17 PM
GOOD MATCH TENNIS WINS.:worship:

GasquetFan
Still love you Gilles :hug:

tests
leonardo di caprio look alike! :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::wors hip::worship::worship::worship:

WarriorA
Awesome match. Win or not Gillou :rocker2: Fighter: Defined.

HDW
Im glad i wasnt able to see the match, ffs olderer.

Lleyton_
Mental giant :o

Chartreuse
Fed will only win 1 more slam in his career. I can see him retiring with 17 slams. But more than that will be very tough... This year he probably wins his last slam..

habibko
Roger being honest :lol: great interview

Jaz
leonardo di caprio look alike! :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::wors hip::worship::worship::worship:

What? :confused:

FlameOn
01-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Gillou. :hug: Great effort. Now get seeded for the French so we can avoid this situation! :lol:

Sri
Australian Open 2011 – Roger Federer Earns Hard Fought Win Against Gilles Simon

Roger Federer’s second round match against a man who he had never beaten — Gilles Simon — lived up to its billing. It took Roger Federer five sets to win 6-2, 6-3, 4-6, 4-6, 6-3. Roger Federer toyed with the Frenchman in the first two sets winning them comfortably. But then late in second set onwards, Roger had a customary concentration lapse raking up constant unforced errors and lost the next two sets, only to win in the fifth.

On his fifth match point, it took Roger a ace to seal the win.

http://www.newspostindia.com/2011-01-19-australian-open-2011-roger-federer-earns-hard-fought-win-against-gilles-simon#more-862

Blackbriar
That was a hell of a match, Simon is really Federer's Kryptonite! Federer improved at the end, and Simon ran out of fuel. Too bad Gilles had this atrocious draw, he could have reached QF at least.

viruzzz
Good match, but it sucks that Simon was tired at the end. Luckerer escapes once more.

shut up
you're burning in anger :wavey:

gulzhan
Great Simon is back!

Ouragan
Fed escapes by the skin of his teeth. In all earnestness, he shouldn't have won this one.

Gnomey
01-19-2011, 12:19 PM

Simon wishes!

DorianGray7
Roger didn't even play that bad in the 3rd and 4th set.

Gille Simon was just ridiculous. Roger just f***ing showed his quality, holy shit. This was hard.

Sri
Cake walk draw for Roger! :P

oranges
Great fight from Simon, entertaining match

rofe
Fed escapes by the skin of his teeth. In all earnestness, he shouldn't have won this one.

Why?

Arkulari
I might not like Simon's playing style, but I gotta acknowledge that the guy is a fighter and that is a plus on my book, he never gave up and put Roger against the ropes :yeah:

Roger had two awesome first sets and then brainfarted, you can't do against someone like Simon who never gives up, he lost the next two sets and went all out for the fifth, bad BP conversion as usual.

He needs to sort his head out, if he plays the way he played in the first two sets with Simon, then he has a shot at the title, if he plays like set 3 and 4 then he can lose to anyone.

Too bad you cannot decide who's serving first in a set after the first one ;)

And for the usual idiots complaining about Simon being tired at the end, let me remind you that fitness is a part of tennis, no matter how good you are, if you don't have the endurance then you won't win :shrug:

Silver.
Amazing amazing match. Simon played great, so exciting to see him in this form. Shame he couldn't nick it, it was anyone's match in the fifth. Ah well, huge respect to him. Well done fed..i suppose :rolleyes: :P

Sophocles
01-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Let's hope Fed's now got all the crap tennis out of his system for this A.O. Most of the last 3 sets his play was at post-A.O., pre-Annacone 2010 level, with missed 1st serves & aimless pushing interspersed with wild errors.

Hopeful signs for Simon, though.

Clydey
01-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Gripping match. Simon was excellent. Puts his compatriots to shame. The difference today was probably the serve. Federer's bailed him out, whereas Simon's couldn't.

The Eurosport commentary team should be shot. Everything about the way they commentated on the match was wrong. One stupid comment after another, followed by a blatant lack of objectivity. I had to fight the urge to throw things at the television.

Federer is now the favourite for the title because he beat Simon in 5 sets, according to Wilander. Some more gems from Wilander? This match is proof that Federer is a better player now than he was from 2004-2007 because he wasn't able to beat Gilles Simon during that period. There are so many things wrong with that statement, I hardly know where to begin.

superganon
01-19-2011, 12:21 PM
what a start of 2011 2 awsome matches already that imo are better then many from 2010! this slam has already some great standards!

rafa_maniac
Well that was quite something. There will be many things spoken about Fed once he retires, but one thing that will probably go mostly unremarked on is his ability to ALWAYS pull out these clutch wins over lower ranked opponents in the first week of a Slam. He's had many such challenges during his prime and it always looks like he could lose, but you always know he just won't. Too good. Especially that wide deuce serve, in his twilight years it's really become his bread and butter.

Epic fight Gillou, had his chance early in the 5th to break Fed but once he let that slip you always knew how it was going to end. Full credit to him for making Fed serve it out from 0-40 though.

LocoPorElTenis
Please, let's all report the post fron Knightmace who started the thread well before the match was over.

Respect to Gilles :hatoff:

Nole fan
By a hairbreadth. :spit:

SheepleBuster
Simon is the worst ever match up for Roger. Gets a lot of balls back, misses even less. Too bad he is Murray and Nadal, and Djokovic's pigeon

Johnny Groove
Like some said, this was JesusFed+Olderer+Fedmug+Shankerer+Federror+ClutchF ed all wrapped into one.

He'd better get his act together, his draw is as easy as can be.

Corey Feldman
these are the players Fed has to play in early rounds of Slams, not Marcos Daniel, Ivan Dodig, Jan Hajek, Ryan Sweeting, Greg Jones

Simon a complete nightmare matchup for Fed, highly doubt Fed will beat him many more times if they met again

Orka_n
Federer in post-match interview: "I didn't play poorly in set 3 and 4, he took it to me..."
Even though I don't agree with him, he pays a lot of respect to Simon. Good stuff.

I am personally seeing Gilles in a new light. Though his gamestyle isn't my preference, at least he knows (unlike Roddick) when he should go on the offensive. And his mentality is terrific.

rofe
Fed is more affected by h2h than Nadal is. Poor from Fed after he got broken in the 3rd. Completely lost confidence in his shots and started playing power puff forehands. He was somehow able to find the reserves to grind out the match so kudos to him.

ShotmaKer
01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Simon was just amazing in the 3rd and 4th. Gotta give him the mad props :worship:

Nole fan
Well that was quite something. There will be many things spoken about Fed once he retires, but one thing that will probably go mostly unremarked on is his ability to ALWAYS pull out these clutch wins over lower ranked opponents in the first week of a Slam. He's had many such challenges during his prime and it always looks like he could lose, but you always know he just won't. Too good. Especially that wide deuce serve, in his twilight years it's really become his bread and butter.

Epic fight Gillou, had his chance early in the 5th to break Fed but once he let that slip you always knew how it was going to end. Full credit to him for making Fed serve it out from 0-40 though.

+1

Great fight from Gillou though, what a heroe.

finishingmove
Gripping match. Simon was excellent. Puts his compatriots to shame. The difference today was probably the serve. Federer's bailed him out, whereas Simon's couldn't.

The Eurosport commentary team should be shot. Everything about the way they commentated on the match was wrong. One stupid comment after another, followed by a blatant lack of objectivity. I had to fight the urge to throw things at the television.

Federer is now the favourite for the title because he beat Simon in 5 sets, according to Wilander. Some more gems from Wilander? This match is proof that Federer is a better player now than he was from 2004-2007 because he wasn't able to beat Gilles Simon during that period. There are so many things wrong with that statement, I hardly know where to begin.

so true, especially the ES part

Ouragan

Wow, Wilander is seriously impressive here. :eek:

dodo
really hope fed got all the muggery out of his system. there was a fair bit of it.

dombrfc
01-19-2011, 12:23 PM

Beat me to it.

At 2-2 in the 5th Roger was a poor match player, he cant adapt to beat guys like Simon.. good god what is he doing out there?! Poor from Roger.
Two games later he's BETTER THAN HE'S EVER BEEN because he broke serve.

Oh, and come on Rogerrrrrrrr!!

Jaz
Federer is in no way the favourite in this tournament, what was shown today is that Federer is no longer a 5-set master, especially that his performance really begins to decline. We saw it against DelPo, Djoko, and now Simon. He really needs to improve his fitness.

Chartreuse
Is Wilander still doing coke?

Sophocles
This match is proof that Federer is a better player now than he was from 2004-2007 because he wasn't able to beat Gilles Simon during that period. There are so many things wrong with that statement, I hardly know where to begin.

Not the least of which being the fact he didn't play Simon in that period.

Lleyton_

I understand you're upset but he was leading the whole match.

Sri
01-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Is Wilander still doing coke?
Yes.

Start da Game
By a hairbreadth. :spit:

indeed.......simon ran out of gas after 4 games in the final set........had he at least served first in the final et, he would have won........

simon did not serve first in any of the 3rd, 4th, 5th sets........

Arkulari

OMG, Wankander is just an idiot, a bandwagoner and doesn't even know what he's talking about half of the time, is not as if Roger has faced Simon in those years *facepalm*

prafull
Simon was too tired in the end due to Sydney and the 3.5+ hour long first round match so he was forced to change his push push push game plan. When he went for his shots that resulted in those unforced errors which gifted the break and the match to federer.

Arkulari
01-19-2011, 12:25 PM
indeed.......simon ran out of gas after 4 games in the final set........had he at least served first in the final et, he would have won........

simon did not serve first in any of the 3rd, 4th, 5th sets........

and is that someone's fault? :scratch:

fitness is a part of tennis, if he was tired that's his problem :shrug:

Clydey

Exactly.

Sophocles
these are the players Fed has to play in early rounds of Slams, not Marcos Daniel, Ivan Dodig, Jan Hajek, Ryan Sweeting, Greg Jones

Simon a complete nightmare matchup for Fed, highly doubt Fed will beat him many more times if they met again

Disagree. I'd be willing to bet Simon never beats Fed again.

solowyn
Simon never looked like letting up.

Once Fed starts getting so frustrated that is usually game over for him, so kudos for that. His tactics while down however...

I apologize profusely to Gilles. He's proved himself to be on fantastic shape at the start of 2011.

barbadosan

Now you see why so many people find it difficult to place any credence in Wilander. I don't wish to be unkind to him, but sometimes you wonder if the drugs really are a thing of the past, judging from some of his statements

tennis2tennis
01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
shoud fed fans be happy or worried that he was tested so early in a tournament?

Sri
Simon was too tired in the end due to Sydney and the 3.5+ hour long first round match so he was forced to change his push push push game plan. When he went for his shots that resulted in those unforced errors which gifted the break and the match to federer.
Maybe he should start doing better in the lead ups then..bah!

Lleyton_
Federer is in no way the favourite in this tournament, what was shown today is that Federer is no longer a 5-set master, especially that his performance really begins to decline. We saw it against DelPo, Djoko, and now Simon. He really needs to improve his fitness.

:haha:

rofe
The draw opens up for Fed now so he should be back on track. This was the most dangerous match for him in the early rounds.

dombrfc
Roger Federer after his thrilling five-set win over Gilles Simon, the first time he has beaten the Frenchman after losing their previous two matches:
"Gilles is a great player so matches against him are never easy - hopefully we won't play each other anymore. The third set was quite unusual, I don't normally get broken three times in a row like that, and he showed what a great mover he is and what great shots he has. I don't think I was playing badly, though, and I remained positive."

Nidhogg
01-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Good win. Gilles, you scrawny little demon you. :D :worship:

Keep on rolling, Fed. :sport:

tribalfusion
01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Disagree. I'd be willing to bet Simon never beats Fed again.

Demolition job by Federer here.

I'd be willing to bet you don't know what you are talking about.

Enjoyable match & congrats to both.

dodo
Completely lost confidence in his shots and started playing power puff forehands. He was somehow able to find the reserves to grind out the match so kudos to him.
playing like that is what saved this match. he was spraying errors everywhere every time he went for a hard flat shot.

n8
Great play from Simon! That was Federer's toughest match on paper until the quarter-finals at least.

The only time it's OK to start a match thread before the end is when there is an overrule or Hawkeye challenge.

barbadosan
01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
During the match I said: "Simon, meet GS-mode Federer. Then later: "Going home-mode Federer, meet Simon.

Thankfully the final part of the threesome is: Simon, meet decided-to-stay-at-the-fair Federer.

Seriously, congrats to Simon on a great fighting effort, and Fed, congrats, but ya think we could get the other matches through without the drama?

rtgy
01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Awesome match. Win or not Gillou :rocker2: Fighter: Defined.

Great Simon is back!

A L L E Z G I L L O U !!! :rocker2:

SheepleBuster
01-19-2011, 12:30 PM
I am quite amused by people saying how Amazing Simon was. In the third set, Roger broke himself and gave all that momentum back. He let Simon back in the play by dumb play. He was leaving the ball short. He was allowing Simon to take cuts that were aggressive but not overly. Simon is a tough guy and will always be a tough challenge for Roger. But had Roger played even close to the first two sets with power and angle, this would be a straight setter. There is no excuse in losing your serve 3 times in a set that way

Sophocles
Similar to the Haas 4th-rounder in 2006: Fed playing lights out the first 2 sets, taking his foot off the gas in set 3, his opponent finding inspiration preventing Fed from recapturing his earlier level, then a 5th set that looks tight until Fed blows it apart with a break at 3-2. Fed won the tournament in 2006 but he was lucky to play a choking Davydenko in the quarters, because he was up & down in all his last 3 matches.

habibko
Well that was quite something. There will be many things spoken about Fed once he retires, but one thing that will probably go mostly unremarked on is his ability to ALWAYS pull out these clutch wins over lower ranked opponents in the first week of a Slam. He's had many such challenges during his prime and it always looks like he could lose, but you always know he just won't.

well said, a testimony to his greatness and part of what makes his 23 consecutive GS run making at least the SF so great and a record that will never get broken anytime soon if at all

and some morons still question his mental toughness and heart :cuckoo:

Start da Game
and is that someone's fault? :scratch:

fitness is a part of tennis, if he was tired that's his problem :shrug:

who said it's someone's fault? stay quiet.......i just said simon was tired by the 5th set, he definitely was........

james82
Simon defense almost won him that game,like it or not his style of play was great and he went for his winners when he saw the opportunity

Sophocles
01-19-2011, 12:31 PM
I'd be willing to bet you don't know what you are talking about.

Enjoyable match & congrats to both.

It was nearly a demolition job. Next time it will be.

Jaz
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
who said it's someone's fault? stay quiet.......i just said simon was tired by the 5th set, he definitely was........

Yeah, because Federer doesn't get tired right?

ExcaliburII
Annoying arrogant prick this federer.

Orka_n
who said it's someone's fault? stay quiet.......i just said simon was tired by the 5th set, he definitely was........No, you're using it as an excuse. Shut up yourself and get out of here.

FedforFrench
Where the hell is the OP hiding?

SheepleBuster
01-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Annoying arrogant prick this federer.

annoying troll you are. haha. What did he do today that was arrogant? Should he just hand matches over to people now?

rofe
01-19-2011, 12:34 PM
playing like that is what saved this match. he was spraying errors everywhere every time he went for a hard flat shot.

Yes, and I am happy but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. At his level he needs to be ultra confident in his bread and butter shot.

solowyn
Simon defense almost won him that game,like it or not his style of play was great and he went for his winners when he saw the opportunity
This, Simon was taking the initiative most of the time to end the rally.

Apemant
Let's hope Fed's now got all the crap tennis out of his system for this A.O. Most of the last 3 sets his play was at post-A.O., pre-Annacone 2010 level, with missed 1st serves & aimless pushing interspersed with wild errors.

Precisely, and that yells 'lack of confidence'.

Once he starts doubting, it looks like that. He should've closed it in 3, it's not like he couldn't have. And I don't think this is 'good', it only reminds him of the vulnerability, and also reassures the opposition that they always have a chance if they persist. :shrug:

Beating Simon in 3 would be a far better thing for Olderer here. It would've sent a message... this match doesn't send a proper message. :o

Dmitry Verdasco
01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
DAMMIT!!:fiery: OH well reach the final now Roger and let Rafa caress your wrinkly old ass:lol:

MsTree
Good fight from Gillou :D Close match! He shouldn't have given Fed those 2 sets head start :lol:

dabeast
gotta admit this had shades of Toronto 2008 all over it after seeing Federror emerge after the 2nd set.

the big problem was when Roger started taking the pace off his groundies from the 3rd set onwards and then proceeded to let Simon push him around the court, almost every rally won by the Frenchie :banghead: Seeing Roger get outplayed and outpowered by freaking Simon THE PUSHER was just painful to watch.

I hate his game but Simon's one resilient pest for sure :hatoff: He played very well and went for broke after getting outclassed in the first 2 sets but he was given alot of help from AWOL FEd.

Arkulari
01-19-2011, 12:36 PM

you're using it as an excuse and that's an insult to Simon and all the fight he did, like I said, fitness is a part of tennis and more times than not, a 5-setter is won by the fittest player

tripwires
01-19-2011, 12:36 PM

Um because Simon is 30 and Roger is 27?

spencercarlos
01-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Wow, Wilander is seriously impressive here. :eek:
The day of the first round match he was trash talking Roger because he had won the first set 6-1 over Lacko and how bad it was to play your best so early in a match :rolleyes:..

Also Wilander said how Federer had to thank Annacone for his volleys :tape:...
And to wrap things up in the second set after a Federer´s drop shot he talked about how much people talk about Federer´s touch and volleying skills when Nadal was probably better at that. :lol: Enough to put the stream on mute the rest of the way. :fiery:

Federer obviously lost to Simon at a time he was not really at his very best during 2008. The Montreal match was a pathetic match for instance, just coming back from Wimbledon, Federer followed that with a loss against Karlovic... enough said

That being said Simon is the type of player that will always hurt Roger, because he has a Murray type of game, big serve, great retrieving skills, long reach and very fast this french man. He beat world number one Nadal in 2008 when Nadal in Madrid. So he must do something right...

Sophocles
01-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Precisely, and that yells 'lack of confidence'.

Once he starts doubting, it looks like that. He should've closed it in 3, it's not like he couldn't have. And I don't think this is 'good', it only reminds him of the vulnerability, and also reassures the opposition that they always have a chance if they persist. :shrug:

Beating Simon in 3 would be a far better thing for Olderer here. It would've sent a message... this match doesn't send a proper message. :o

I agree. The one good thing is it's another 5-set win. He was so shit at 5-setters early in his career that every one he wins has to help at least a bit.

One thing's for sure, Federer's "favourite" status at this tournament is now officially downgraded.

dombrfc
Best thing was Rogers yell/roar at going the break up in the 5th

Rita
1st accident for Fed :eek:

Corey Feldman
01-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Big lol@ the last 0-40. The TennisGods sure had a fieldday with this1...Yep, this AO is not for Fed while the golden child is around to put the finishing pieces to his Grand Slam

the cruel ending for Fed will be a loss to Roddick in QF, just wait and see a week from now.

Lleyton_
01-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Good fight from Gillou :D Close match! He shouldn't have given Fed those 2 sets head start :lol:

:bigwave:

Bigselber
01-19-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't know how Federer managed to win this but he did, what a legend!! Kudos to Simon for a great match

Kat_YYZ
01-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Federer in post-match interview: "I didn't play poorly in set 3 and 4, he took it to me..."
Even though I don't agree with him, he pays a lot of respect to Simon. Good stuff.

I am personally seeing Gilles in a new light. Though his gamestyle isn't my preference, at least he knows (unlike Roddick) when he should go on the offensive. And his mentality is terrific.

I hope you're right, Orka... but I'm so sick of seeing people play their best tennis against Roger and then "mug out" (as this place is so fond of saying) for the next 6 months. Berdych's claims to fame? Throwing Roger out of the 2004 Olympics, doing nothing for 6 years, beating Roger at Wimbledon 2010, then beating nobody of importance for the next 6 months.

Canas: two wins in a row vs Roger, then fading away.
Nalbandian: two wins in a row over Roger... chokes away 5 MPs vs Nadal in Indian Wells 09, hasn't beaten RN since.

Start da Game
01-19-2011, 12:41 PM
No, you're using it as an excuse. Shut up yourself and get out of here.

you're using it as an excuse and that's an insult to Simon and all the fight he did, like I said, fitness is a part of tennis and more times than not, a 5-setter is won by the fittest player

nonsensical clowns, i just said simon was tired which is the truth.......that's a reason for his loss, not an excuse........

Orka_n
01-19-2011, 12:41 PM
That being said Simon is the type of player that will always hurt Roger, because he has a Murray type of game, big serve, great retrieving skills, long reach and very fast this french man. He beat world number one Nadal in 2008 when Nadal in Madrid. So he must do something right...Apart from the "big serve" part, I agree with you...

rofe
01-19-2011, 12:42 PM
I agree. The one good thing is it's another 5-set win. He was so shit at 5-setters early in his career that every one he wins has to help at least a bit.

One thing's for sure, Federer's "favourite" status at this tournament is now officially downgraded.

He was in a bigger hole last year against Igor and still won. Not saying he will win here but early round Fed form has always been inconsistent. He was able to hide it better during his peak years because of his movement and confidence.

What is a bit of a concern is how badly one break affected his confidence in the 3rd. He needs to look into that pronto.

tennis2tennis
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM

why's a 26 year old tired playing a best of 5 match?:devil:

Benny_Maths
1st accident for Fed :eek:

Lol @ reference to Simon's '2nd accident' comment.:D

Vida
credit to fed, not many people his age have it in the tank anymore for these kind of situations.

HKz
01-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Lol. The Bulge will lose though, sad cause he showed a lot here. This Fed won't go far in this tourney.

He had a probably more pathetic match against Tipsy in 2008 and made the SFs, he was down 2 sets to love vs Berdych in 2009 and made the finals and he was getting outplayed for quite a while by Andreev last year and won. One match isn't a whole tournament. Very rarely will you find someone who played out of his mind all 7 matches, hence why the top players try to peak for the second week.

I'm not predicting he will or will not make SF/F, but it is certainly premature to say anything about his form. He had a good win over Lacko and he was playing very well in the first two sets against Simon. In reality, he only played 2 or 3 bad games against Simon. It wans't like he just gave Simon sets 3 and 4.

Anyways, this was a fun match to watch. Bit frustrating that Federer suddenly changed his game plan midway through the second set.. I think he may have thought the match was in his hands. He stopped slicing the ball like he did in the 1st and most of the 2nd set, and he didn't use the drop shot like he was earlier until the 5th set... I think this allowed Simon a lot of rhythm on his groundstrokes. But all credit to Simon for putting up a great fight. I thought that Federer might lose this one because Simon was an absolute wall out there when he needed to be defensive, and then he flattened everything out so nicely when Federer put some air onto his shots.

Blackbriar
I hate his game but Simon's one resilient pest for sure :hatoff:
:haha::rolls:

Jaz
nonsensical clowns, i just said simon was tired which is the truth.......that's a reason for his loss, not an excuse........

Excuse:
"seek to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offence); try to justify"

Oxford dictionary.

So clearly you found an excuse.

nalbyfan
01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Mirka's husband is not at his best...Wilander must be thrilled to see his fav playing so bad...

sennoc

His fault, don't you think? He should win in three sets... or, even better, in 11 games. He would not be tired.

Shirogane
Great job toughing out that win, Fed. :yeah:

solowyn
I hope you're right, Orka... but I'm so sick of seeing people play their best tennis against Roger and then "mug out" (as this place is so fond of saying) for the next 6 months. Berdych's claims to fame? Throwing Roger out of the 2004 Olympics, doing nothing for 6 years, beating Roger at Wimbledon 2010, then beating nobody of importance for the next 6 months.
True, it is frustrating.

Orka_n

Nalbandian: two wins in a row over Roger... chokes away 5 MPs vs Nadal in Indian Wells 09, hasn't beaten RN since.Gilles didn't win so you don't have to worry. ;)

Seriously though, this is all about your mental strength and ability the focus on the next task at hand. Simon is way better at that than Berdych, Cańas, and Nalby.

Tutu
01-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Too sad. Proud of Gillou, but so sad.

I just hope he finally gets the respect he deserves.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
01-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Fed's clutch play is the reason he got to 23 SFs

i would argue fed's clutch play is above nadals and sampras

neither could or will come close to making 23 semis in a row

when rafa gets blown off court by del potro or soderling theres always an excuse but no one mentions how un-clutchlike his behaviour becomes

he resorts to pushing and playing the % plays which may work out sometimes but against a big hitter its asking to get beaten

federer's style of play is agressive therefore he cant really push
same with sampras, and his 93 wim- 97 aus form was probably as good as peak fed- but i would still rate fed above him

paseo
01-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Simon anticipates Fed's shots really well. Most of the time he knew where Fed was aiming. I think he's doing it better than anyone. That's why it's so difficult for Fed to beat him. Good match, very entertaining.

Apemant
the big problem was when Roger started taking the pace off his groundies from the 3rd set onwards and then proceeded to let Simon push him around the court, almost every rally won by the Frenchie :banghead: Seeing Roger get outplayed and outpowered by freaking Simon THE PUSHER was just painful to watch.

Simon is a weird kind of a player. Yes, he pushes most of the time, but then sometimes out of the blue, goes for broke, and often with precision. Pushers troubled Federer even before, but this Simon guy is even more dangerous because you never know when he's going to hit hard.

Just the type of a player Federer doesn't like to play.

Arkulari

Excuse:
"seek to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offence); try to justify"

Oxford dictionary.

So clearly you found an excuse.

So, the almost 30-year old guy with about 900 matches in ATP level isn't supposed to be tired against a guy 4 years his junior with much less mileage? :scratch:

Simon lost because Roger was more clutch in the end, it's as simple as that, the match was really tight and could have gone either way

HKz

Careful for that ban stick the mods are always holding above your head General Failkar

ApproachShot
Well done Gilles. Phenomenal performance!

Congratulations Roger. This match brings up:

His 750th match win on tour
The record for the most matches won at the AO in the Open Era (tied with Edberg at 56 match wins)

hicdick
01-19-2011, 12:51 PM
The day of the first round match he was trash talking Roger because he had won the first set 6-1 over Lacko and how bad it was to play your best so early in a match :rolleyes:..

Also Wilander said how Federer had to thank Annacone for his volleys :tape:...
And to wrap things up in the second set after a Federer´s drop shot he talked about how much people talk about Federer´s touch and volleying skills when Nadal was probably better at that. :lol: Enough to put the stream on mute the rest of the way. :fiery:

Federer obviously lost to Simon at a time he was not really at his very best during 2008. The Montreal match was a pathetic match for instance, just coming back from Wimbledon, Federer followed that with a loss against Karlovic... enough said

That being said Simon is the type of player that will always hurt Roger, because he has a Murray type of game, big serve, great retrieving skills, long reach and very fast this french man. He beat world number one Nadal in 2008 when Nadal in Madrid. So he must do something right...

haha, wilander really said all those things? well i shouldn't be surprised, once a twat always a twat.

rafa_maniac
01-19-2011, 12:54 PM

Nalbandian: two wins in a row over Roger... chokes away 5 MPs vs Nadal in Indian Wells 09, hasn't beaten RN since.

Don't worry, most fans of many players feel the same way. As a Nadal fan, it's naturally irritating that Davydenko seems to turn up once a year to put together a run and knock out Rafa, then do nothing at all.

Corey Feldman
01-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Simon is a weird kind of a player. Yes, he pushes most of the time, but then sometimes out of the blue, goes for broke, and often with precision. Pushers troubled Federer even before, but this Simon guy is even more dangerous because you never know when he's going to hit hard.

Just the type of a player Federer doesn't like to play.and Simon is a different kind of pusher, he is lighting fast, a great reader and can use Fed's pace against him

Fed hit plenty of bullets tonight that flew back past him twice as hard, thats why i'm not worried by his form or that he's somehow playing badly

Congratulations Roger. This match brings up:
•His 750th match win on tour
•The record for the most matches won at the AO in the Open Era (tied with Edberg at 56 match wins)cheers bro.

Apemant
01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
this is why i always feel fedtards are dumb and they need to be educated on almost everything related to tennis........

LOL pot kettle black :worship: :haha:

oranges

I don't think that's their only, or even main claim to fame, It just seems so from your perspective :hug:

Rita
Why do people continue to argue with STG? :o
It's just pointless.

LoveFifteen
:sad: I would've loved to see the upset. :sad:

scarecrows
01-19-2011, 01:01 PM
what a mug Frauderer :lol:

Argenbrit
01-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Simooooooon :sad: :sad: :sad:

Commander Data
01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Fed looked vulnerable. Should have beaten Simon in 3. I'm worried.

Chartreuse
01-19-2011, 01:08 PM
:sad: I would've loved to see the upset. :sad:

Fed has never lost at a slam after winning the first 2 sets(just like Nadal). The result was NID.

Apemant
01-19-2011, 01:09 PM
and Simon is a different kind of pusher, he is lighting fast, a great reader and can use Fed's pace against him

Fed hit plenty of bullets tonight that flew back past him twice as hard, thats why i'm not worried by his form or that he's somehow playing badly

cheers bro.

I'm not worried so much about his game, he proved in first two sets that he is capable of toying with Simon easily, when he's on - he can do that to Murray and Nadal, as well (WHEN he's on) - but what worries me is this self-doubt that creeps in his game when things start getting ugly (like Sophocles said - then he starts mostly pushing, hitting puffy forehands and feeble backhands, and then all of a sudden tries to hit a clean winner, often missing by a little :mad: - or even mishitting it completely, which is even worse. Really looks kinda pathetic to watch). I somehow thought it was behind him, that he doesn't 'care' that much anymore so that he can be more relaxed than before (and thus less prone to mental lapses/chokes which sometimes cost him matches, even grandslams).

But yes, Simon is extremely tricky when he plays good... weird decisions, no regularity in his gameplan; sometimes he contends with pushing for 20 strokes, but sometimes goes for a winner after like four; and it's not even that he does that only in 'logical' situations. But somehow, looks completely random to me. Wonder what goes through his head all the time. :)

Foxy
01-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Dodger will not face a seeded player until QF. Enough said.

Chartreuse
01-19-2011, 01:14 PM

And there he will play Roddick. Wow. What's the H2H again?

freeandlonely
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
nid

luie
01-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Good fight from fed but he won't win the title.
I taught he was pusher ready but the first sign of resistance his bh/first serve went awol.
He will lose to Novak now pity all the hard work for nothing.

oranges
01-19-2011, 01:21 PM

He just played a 5-setter in R2, but you're here to whine about his draw, unreal :lol: X-man is a tougher opponent than Sweeting or Lalo/Tomic for that matter in R3 as well.

Mĺnu
01-19-2011, 01:25 PM
He just played a 5-setter in R2, but you're here to whine about his draw, unreal :lol: X-man is a tougher opponent than Sweeting in R3 as well.

I would add Xman is in better shape than any of the opponents Nadal could face in R2 to 4 (we'll see which Cilic is showing up tomorrow)

Castafiore
01-19-2011, 01:28 PM
I would add Xman is in better shape than any of the opponents Nadal could face in R2 to 4 (we'll see which Cilic is showing up tomorrow)
:spit: Malisse?
That's the first time I see anybody talking about Xavier having a superior fitness level. Xavier is a talented player but endurance in 5-setters and good shape isn't one of his virtues.

People are clutching at straws in this Fedal cakedraw battle.

solowyn
01-19-2011, 01:28 PM
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy76/liapp/x2_43bad0b.jpg

hicdick
01-19-2011, 01:30 PM

i know. fed is so lucky that he didn't have to face that tennis juggernault called marcos daniel.

Topspindoctor
01-19-2011, 01:31 PM

The story of Luckerer's career.

Lopez
01-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Wow I've gotta say I did NOT give Simon the proper credit before the match, thinking that it would be easy for Federer. I was so cocky as to make a prediction after 2 sets, something I normally never do and was dead wrong. Kudos to Simon for a great effort.

But kudos also to Fed for toughing it out :yeah:. Though it has to be said: this is what is matches look like too often when they get tight. He said it himself before: "I was too passive in my losses". Well no shite Sherlock, when the going gets tough you lose confidence and start pushing nothing balls with topspin begging to be killed off both wings. That should be changed. He should stay aggressive and FFS play more slice from his backhand.

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Frauderer Frauderer... :lol:

5 sets to beat no game Simon. :lol:

Blackbriar
01-19-2011, 01:38 PM
and this seed may be a clown. Strange draw: Gasquet is in, Simon is out, funny don't you think?

Start da Game
01-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Frauderer Frauderer... :lol:

5 sets to beat no game Simon. :lol:

it looks like you need some tennis fundamentals........

rofe
01-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Hope Paul discusses set 3 & 4 with Roger. Especially set 3. Really poor play in both.

Fed Express
01-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Love to see all these haters when Federer picks up the title in 1,5 weeks. 90% just comment out of the hate (and fear of winning it) for Federer and not just simply analyzing the game. Sad.

hicdick
Wow I've gotta say I did NOT give Simon the proper credit before the match, thinking that it would be easy for Federer. I was so cocky as to make a prediction after 2 sets, something I normally never do and was dead wrong. Kudos to Simon for a great effort.

But kudos also to Fed for toughing it out :yeah:. Though it has to be said: this is what is matches look like too often when they get tight. He said it himself before: "I was too passive in my losses". Well no shite Sherlock, when the going gets tough you lose confidence and start pushing nothing balls with topspin begging to be killed off both wings. That should be changed. He should stay aggressive and FFS play more slice from his backhand.

agreed 100%. and stop that jinxing mate :D

Start da Game

in the quarters awaits one of the greatest fighters the game has ever seen: andy roddick........

Forehander
01-19-2011, 01:44 PM

lol you don't?

Orka_n
01-19-2011, 01:45 PM
it looks like you need some tennis fundamentals........Haven't you painted yourself into a corner now, SdG... :aplot: GlennMirnyi just insulted Fed, and you are disagreeing with him?
Closet Fedfan. Expected. :shrug:

Apemant
01-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Hope Paul discusses set 3 & 4 with Roger. Especially set 3. Really poor play in both.

Actually, in the third set he was still rather agressive in return games, which was okay - just inexplicably unable to hold serve.

My guess would be that he thought Simon is finished, history, etc - so he only needs to concentrate on return games, while the serve will win itself alone, without him even trying too much LOL. So when Simon thought (and proved) otherwise, he became tight both on serve and return, in the last two sets.

All in all, classic Federer psyche, nothing new really.

Orka_n
01-19-2011, 01:46 PM

But kudos also to Fed for toughing it out :yeah:. Though it has to be said: this is what is matches look like too often when they get tight. He said it himself before: "I was too passive in my losses". Well no shite Sherlock, when the going gets tough you lose confidence and start pushing nothing balls with topspin begging to be killed off both wings. That should be changed. He should stay aggressive and FFS play more slice from his backhand.Very much agree. On both points.

Allez
01-19-2011, 01:47 PM

I'm sure you're the only one who underestimated the Frenchman's abilities...especially when paired up against Rogi ;) Almost 99% of MTF thought Simon would be a massive threat :yeah:

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2011, 01:53 PM

A Nadull fan preaching about tennis fundamentals... we're really near the end of the world. 2012 is really the end.

Haven't you painted yourself into a corner now, SdG... :aplot: GlennMirnyi just insulted Fed, and you are disagreeing with him?

Closet Fraudfan? :o :rolleyes:

Start da Game
01-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Haven't you painted yourself into a corner now, SdG... :aplot: GlennMirnyi just insulted Fed, and you are disagreeing with him?

who cares if he insulted frauderer? he insulted simon which is more important.......he calls simon a no game player........wonder what he is watching........

giles simon has a well rounded game coupled with deceptive speed across the court.......he is also deceptive off the ground........one of those rare breeds who can push around as well as put the foot down the peddle when needed........i told this way back and people laughed at me.......

if only his serve was slightly better, clownga, gaskit wouldn't even appear on the front pages of french tennis magazines.......

swebright
01-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Wow ... great escape, Roger.

Simon used to be top 8 player, so he apparently has some guns.

Allez
01-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Simon!!! What heart you showed out there :worship:. Now get back into the top 10 where you belong :cool:

Rogi you live to fight another day. Mantle of a champion old sport. It took some serious nerves of steel to come through that :worship::worship::worship:

rofe
01-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Actually, in the third set he was still rather agressive in return games, which was okay - just inexplicably unable to hold serve.

My guess would be that he thought Simon is finished, history, etc - so he only needs to concentrate on return games, while the serve will win itself alone, without him even trying too much LOL. So when Simon thought (and proved) otherwise, he became tight both on serve and return, in the last two sets.

All in all, classic Federer psyche, nothing new really.

And that is exactly why Paul needs to discuss the psychology of not letting go against any player and especially against someone who has beaten you twice.

He has done this before during his peak years but he was uber confident about his game then and was able to turn it on even under pressure.

emotion
01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Awww so close to billions in vCash

Azurebi
01-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Gilles :hysteric:
Please beat Roger next big time!

Roger the Dodger
01-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Match was always on Roger's racket. Simon fought but he did nothing special in sets 3 and 4. Roger should have won it in straights. His so called 'honest' confession saying Simon played great was uncalled for. Roger was terrible in the 3rd and 4th. His walkabouts are a serious problem and cause for concern.

swebright
01-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Roger is having more self doubts and mini collapses. Well, that comes with age. I am just glad that he hired Annacone to help him out during this phase of his career. Keep on going Fed.

JayR
01-19-2011, 02:10 PM

Eurosport never let the facts stand in the way of any asinine ramblings.

allpro
01-19-2011, 02:11 PM
a minor blip on the radar. rogigoat remains the heavy favorite......it’s his to lose.

Nole fan
01-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Really funny how everyone think they know what Federer has to do and how he should play. Why don't you play instead of him? :rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Really funny how everyone think they know what Federer has to do and how he should play. Why don't you play instead of him? :rolleyes:

What a moronic comment. :rolleyes:

It's his problem not ours if he can't figure out even the simplest tennis strategies. We don't live off tennis.

Nole fan
01-19-2011, 02:29 PM
What a moronic comment. :rolleyes:

It's his problem not ours if he can't figure out even the simplest tennis strategies. We don't live off tennis.

You don't know shit. The first step it to accept it. :yeah:

Guy Haines
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
:bigcry:

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2011, 02:40 PM
You don't know shit. The first step it to accept it. :yeah:

:rolleyes:

Have you ever picked up a racket, "Nolandy" fangirl? :rolleyes:

"Nolandy" :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

A_Skywalker
01-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Glenn is my favorite poster, always has insight comments. I cant beleive you got banned for being yourself(a morron), you should be allowed to entertain the people here all year.

habibko
01-19-2011, 02:44 PM
on-court interview

p980cy5EcRY

tektonac
01-19-2011, 02:45 PM
I hope this gives motivation to Nole for a 2008 SF repeat.

colombiantennis
01-19-2011, 02:47 PM
federer was just trying to improve his five set record
No surprise really

nadal_slam_king
01-19-2011, 02:48 PM
And he blew 3 matchpoints in the 5th set, showing that the US Open SF matchpoints weren't a fluke. He's just not good at them since he lost his nerve.

luie
01-19-2011, 02:50 PM
And he blew 3 matchpoints in the 5th set, showing that the US Open SF matchpoints weren't a fluke. He's just not good at them since he lost his nerve.
Negative.... fed has always been terrible on Break points,match points or otherwise.

nadal_slam_king
01-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Negative.... fed has always been terrible on Break points,match points or otherwise.

Wow, that means Roddick was downright absurd.

nadal_slam_king
01-19-2011, 02:53 PM
a minor blip on the radar. rogigoat remains the heavy favorite......it’s his to lose.

:lol: thanks I needed a good laugh :lol: he'll be lucky to survive Djokovic, and maybe even Monfils.

Lopez
01-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Courier was wrong in that interview, he asked "when did you lose in the third round last time at a slam?", not "when did you lose before the third round" :p

Nole fan
01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
:rolleyes:

Have you ever picked up a racket, "Nolandy" fangirl? :rolleyes:

"Nolandy" :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Yeah and I would spank you easily. ;)

Michael Bluth
01-19-2011, 02:57 PM
This is the sort of match Fed has been losing in the last year, so power to him for recovering focus and taking Simon out.

nadal_slam_king
01-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Courier was wrong in that interview, he asked "when did you lose in the third round last time at a slam?", not "when did you lose before the third round" :p

I know, he's too senile to be a commentator. Plus he's extremely biased and only interested in talking up Federer.

Start da Game
01-19-2011, 03:06 PM

wrongier interviewing dumberer.......

Hingisova
01-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Whew! Close one for sure:rolleyes: I just saw the last 3sets not the first two easy ones...a lot of brilliant shots by Fed mixed in with a lot of "stinkeroos":p I could see the tension in Mirka's face throughout...too damn many loooping shots to nowhere, too many loose cannons into the net...yep! Roger pulled through but Simon scared the hell out of him!:eek:

Hingisova:wavey:

hicdick
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
I know, he's too senile to be a commentator. Plus he's extremely biased and only interested in talking up Federer.

yes, you should be doing those interviews :worship:

Blackbriar
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
I think Simon never had as much support in his life on this board, all the Nadaltards were cheering upon him til' the end like he was the Messiah, and then all of sudden he turned back into a "mug" "pusher "loser" :rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2011, 03:10 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Nolandy. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Fujee
01-19-2011, 03:11 PM
While it wasn't anywhere near his best for the last 3 sets, this match taught Rog to persevere. Roll on R3

hicdick
01-19-2011, 03:16 PM
I think Simon never had as much support in his life on this board, all the Nadaltards were cheering upon him til' the end like he was the Messiah, and then all of sudden he turned back into a "mug" "pusher "loser" :rolleyes:

did that surprise you? :eek:
great sig, btw :lol::worship:

Guy Haines
01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
And for the usual idiots complaining about Simon being tired at the end, let me remind you that fitness is a part of tennis, no matter how good you are, if you don't have the endurance then you won't win :shrug:

True, but it's a legitimate thing to bring up, Gilles just won last week's tournament, a tournament the very top seeds don't play for a reason (rest, training).

As for other posts in this thread, condescension in victory is such a classic graceless Fedtard maneuver, as low as topspindoctoring and all the rest. Only a Federer fan would say with pseudoauthority that Gilles played the match of his life in the one match he *lost* to Federer. Respect to those who simply give Gilles credit or admit they underestimated him.

Having watched Gilles during his ups and downs, I'm glad he's on his way back. Since every person on MTF has to volunteer an opinion about it, I will too: I love his style of play.

guga2120
01-19-2011, 03:31 PM
If Simon, had started the way he played in the 3rd he should have won. It's too bad he was not able to pull it off.

Nole fan
01-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Gilles Simon: "The problem is that I left second round. Tomorrow you will forget it".

I won't forget, Gillou, I won't. :awww:

Silver.
01-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Can you give me the source of that NoleFan?

solowyn
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Gilles Simon: "The problem is that I left second round. Tomorrow you will forget it".

I won't forget, Gillou, I won't. :awww:
Awh.

The Wilander quotes garnered from this match were comedy gold, at least.

TMJordan
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
You lucky bastard Roger.

Gillou :hysteric:

Start da Game
01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
nole fan, you have an awesome sig going........change your username to "noldy fan".......

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 03:39 PM

Gilles says this during his press conf:"Yes, I was tired. I had to run everywhere for three hours. But I was feeling good.But the problem is that I left second round. Tomorrow you will forget it."

http://tennisplanet.typepad.com/blog/2011/01/live-chat-australian-open-2011.html?cid=6a01348876d6bd970c0147e1bda1c9970b

Silver.
01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks abraxas21

Also, Well done to analysist and Jimnik ;) the only 2 out of 161 that predicted the right result on WWW thread

Ashlar77
01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Didn't get to see the match yet, but great effort Gilles! :yeah: A good start to the year nonetheless.

Certinfy
01-19-2011, 03:49 PM
:sad: :bigcry:

Nole fan
01-19-2011, 03:54 PM

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE70I2UW20110119

samanosuke
nole fan, you have an awesome sig going........change your username to "noldy fan".......

rather stay quite . what you will do with a girl like nole fan ? She is a space shuttle for you . You can see girls like her just in bollywood . so run fat boy , run ...

Guy Haines

Seriously.

Sophocles and Roger the Dodger are the flipside of Wilander.

Commander Data
01-19-2011, 03:55 PM

when SdG takes it to GlennM you know it is a good day.

Nole fan
01-19-2011, 03:56 PM

Nope. I'm first and foremost a Nole fan. Andy comes second but Nole is untouchable. ;)

Sophocles
01-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Seriously.

Eh? Why are you picking on me here?

Start da Game
01-19-2011, 03:58 PM
rather stay quite . what you will do with a girl like nole fan ? She is a space shuttle for you . You can see girls like her just in bollywood . so run fat boy , run ...

what?

Nadull_tard
Once again, tennis is all about match-ups. Like I said, it was the toughest match until final, now Federer should reach it untroubled.

Nole fan
when SdG takes it to GlennM you know it is a good day.

:haha:

ossie
01-19-2011, 03:59 PM
dont see fed beating the djoker here let alone rafa in the final

Start da Game
01-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Seriously.

true.......

Guy Haines
01-19-2011, 04:00 PM

Not me. And you designated me as a Nadaltard a month ago.

Credit to you for predicting so early that Gilles would win Sydney. I wish you hadn't jinxed him with all the assurances he'd beat Federer though.

Commander Data
01-19-2011, 04:05 PM

:worship::worship::worship:

NID you already own him mentally.

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 04:09 PM

the joker, yes. rafa, not so much.

iriraz
01-19-2011, 04:10 PM

It will come down who will play better on the day really.We`ve seen Djokovic struggle as well today+if he gets a couple more day matches he might play a 5 setter too

Fujee
01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Fed has one match which goes the distance and his 4/5 months of splendid form are forgotten. Ridiculous. Simon was always going to be difficult, playing well, roger finds him difficult etc..
The difference here from the last 3 slams is Annacone, he will be able to guide Roger tactically, no sweat.

Fujee
01-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Also this forehand is incredible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be6eMF7pkEo

shiaben
01-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Total shocker :S

Bigselber
01-19-2011, 04:36 PM
I dont think this means anything for the rest of the tournament for Federer.. He is still in great form, the first and second set were great and if he can play like that in the next rounds, he has a great chance winning this tournament.

Nole fan
01-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Fed has one match which goes the distance and his 4/5 months of splendid form are forgotten. Ridiculous. Simon was always going to be difficult, playing well, roger finds him difficult etc..
The difference here from the last 3 slams is Annacone, he will be able to guide Roger tactically, no sweat.

This only happens now since Federer became vulnerable. His fans don't trust him so easily.

Yazoo.C
01-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Great match :worship:

Gilles played great and hats off to Roger for managing to come back.

habibko
01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Only a Federer fan would say with pseudoauthority that Gilles played the match of his life in the one match he *lost* to Federer.

when has he ever played a better match on a grand occasion like this one? showing as much mental strength and fight against a quality opponent playing this well?

I can only think of his beating of Nadal in 2008 but that wasn't a GS match so it's not as hard as this.

Fujee
01-19-2011, 04:47 PM
This only happens now since Federer became vulnerable. His fans don't trust him so easily.

Yeah "fans" eh, sticking through the hard times and good ones............................................

Nole fan
01-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Yeah "fans" eh, sticking through the hard times and good ones............................................

I've come to realize that most Fed fans don't stick to him through the hard times. Gloryhunters. :lol:

Singularity
01-19-2011, 04:55 PM
I've come to realize that most Fed fans don't stick to him through the hard times. Gloryhunters. :lol:
Then they're not really fans at all.

alfonsojose
01-19-2011, 04:58 PM
:lol: sometimes Roger gets too lazy if the ball keeps coming back. sometimes is just tennis basics and angles, not just flashy shots and counterpounghing. Giles reminds me so much of Hingis, even Date-Krum :drool: Hiting flat, using angles and your opponent's pace hurts :yeah:

«Ivan»
01-19-2011, 05:04 PM
wta prevails 'n their best representartive mugelina prevails today.menstennis 'n simon lost.

gods,mr merser 'n mrs vilanderella sucked rogelina's **** today shamefully.total disgrace the worst sweed who reached no one spot.merser is on rogelina paylist for years.

sory simontards,your boy played better,more manly,shaper,just play tennis,rogelina played swan lake.

yavor:hug:

stebs
01-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Simon was fantastic for the second half of this match. Of course, it will always take a large element of Federer's level dropping for him to lose three service games in a row but I think it speaks volumes that this happened without (imo) Federer going into total mug mode. In fact, I would say that Federer in sets 3 and 4 was playing his average tennis, not better for sure, but no worse. Simon simply didn't miss groundies for the best part of 2 hours, impressive indeed and not easy to find a way through especially considering he was routinely hitting passing shots of all but the best approaches. Federer showed grit and determination to come through, I think his level is in a good place, he just had a tough player in a tough match-up playing tough tennis today. Good match.

Roger the Dodger
01-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Simon was always a glorified pusher. Even if he'd won, he'd still be a pusher. He pushed thru the first two sets, but lost them. Roger's mental walkabouts made Simon look much better, but it was still mostly pushing. He's a push-push-push and shove-shove-shove kind of guy. Perhaps, the most boring French player to watch. Those guys are generally very interesting tennis players. There's Santoro, Gasquet, Tsonga, Benneteau, and then theres Gilles Push'em on.

That's typical. Hatetards always wait for such moments.

I do. So you have to be more specific.
It is important to remain objective about the player you support as well. I can't say I liked what Roger did in sets 3 and 4, and it is a cause for concern. Match should have been over in straights.
So the criticism. I can't be a 'nice' fan boy.

:lol: sometimes Roger gets too lazy if the ball keeps coming back. sometimes is just tennis basics and angles, not just flashy shots. Giles reminds me so much of Hingis, even Date-Krum :drool: Hiting flat, using angles and your opponent's pace hurts :yeah:

Exactly. Roger has too much variety and that often causes a problem.
He doesn't know sometimes ending a point is all that's important.

scarecrows
01-19-2011, 05:32 PM

:lol: now you have on MTF only 10% of Djoko fans you had in february 2008

«Ivan»
01-19-2011, 05:35 PM
:lol: now you have on MTF only 10% of Djoko fans you had in february 2008

thats true.glory hunters.even vucina is not here.

Dr.Slice
01-19-2011, 05:44 PM

:lol:

Unfortunately I was unable to follow the match, who were commenting for Eurosport for Simon-Federer match? Usually Frew McMillan is enjoyable to listen to, the others - depends on the day.
Wilander of course, with all due respect for his achievements in tennis, is a douche when it comes to commenting. He is supposedly a professional and yet he makes comments that make anyone who has even basic understanding of tennis hide their heads in shame. Why is Eurosport still keeping this fool around? They could just as well take your average fanboy from any forum and I suspect that that guy would do a better job than Mats.

I love it how he keeps pushing the agenda that Federer is now playing better than ever, he even said during his first round match after the first set had ended 6:1 that this was the best set Roger ever played.

Dougie
01-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Simon was always a glorified pusher. Even if he'd won, he'd still be a pusher. He pushed thru the first two sets, but lost them. Roger's mental walkabouts made Simon look much better, but it was still mostly pushing. He's a push-push-push and shove-shove-shove kind of guy. Perhaps, the most boring French player to watch. Those guys are generally very interesting tennis players. There's Santoro, Gasquet, Tsonga, Benneteau, and then theres Gilles Push'em on.

It´s not that Federer´s level of play just dropped, Simon made it drop. That´s how he plays, takes away the pace and the angles, gets inside the opponent´s head, makes him do things he´s not comfortable with and makes him commit ue´s. And he seems to be a really bad match-up for Federer.

Myrre
01-19-2011, 05:46 PM

Couldn't agree more about Wilander's commentary. He also said "Simon doesn't have a big weapon...". :rolleyes: Fortunately, I can switch to swedish commentary for the rest of the tournament.

San Rosso
01-19-2011, 05:48 PM
thats true.glory hunters.even vucina is not here.

Same is going to happen to Nadal though when he's not performing as well as he should. Those are not the fans what it's about though it's about those who support 'their' player through thick and thin. I for one didn't become a Nole fan because of his performance in '08 but because of his character, the fact that he also started to play well after I became a fan was a bonus.