Why does MTF hate Almagro? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why does MTF hate Almagro?

Pages : [1] 2

Sonja1989
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
I though you guys like the attacking game style. I've read he is ugly, has bad attitude, behavior etc.. But seriously, these things are more important than his game?? :shrug:

Johnny Groove
01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Almugro, you mean.

Orka_n
01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Almugro, you mean.This.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
01-19-2011, 02:44 PM
mental midget
awful attitude
general douche

basically the spanish roddick without "the looks" the ladies go for

Henry Chinaski
01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
he's not pretty enough to have the female fanbase that several much more detestable mugs on here have.

I don't have an opinion of him either way really. He's a bit of a dick and I'm no way a fan but I like watching him on clay. He's a mug on every other surface though which doesn't really help his appeal. generally has an awful attitude on court too.

oranges
01-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Terrible attitude, mugging a lot.

scarecrows
01-19-2011, 02:47 PM
his sportsmanship is appalling

Castafiore
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Terrible attitude, mugging a lot.
That doesn't explain the sort of hatred he's getting on MTF, though and this applies to many players who aren't getting as much hatred.

It's disproportional to his tennis results. The higher up, the more haters a player gets on here but Almagro?

Fumus
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
As soon as Almagro has a relevant win, his fans will begin to pop up like you wouldn't believe.

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 02:50 PM
he's said to be a bit of a dick but i don't hate him at all. in point of fact, i quite like his game. he probably has the prettiest backhand in the top 20.

ZaZoo)
01-19-2011, 02:50 PM
top20?? wow...

Li Ching Yuen
01-19-2011, 02:58 PM
top20?? wow...

Yeah the ATP made a sacrifice a decade ago and decided to buy a domain, start a site and publish the rankings every now and then. It's amazing what technology is capable of doing for us these days.

oranges
01-19-2011, 02:58 PM
That doesn't explain the sort of hatred he's getting on MTF, though and this applies to many players who aren't getting as much hatred.

It's disproportional to his tennis results. The higher up, the more haters a player gets on here but Almagro?

I honestly don't know that many players with such appalling attitude on court, in all respects mind you, from sportsmanship to body language. Beats me how anyone can like this guy (despite having quite a game, at least on clay).

As for the second part, I think the chokes like the one against Nadal raise his profile significantly, though personally, for me it's all about his demeanor. I have high tolerance for headcases, but low for dicks.

Castafiore
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
As for the second part, I think the chokes like the one against Nadal raise his profile significantly, though
That's part of it, yes. There are basically two matches that increased the hatred to disproportional levels IMO.

One against Safin in Valencia in 2006 and the other one against Nadal in Roland Garros in 2008 (6-1, 6-1, 6-1). The Almugro nickname really kicked in after that match.

I don't agree that he always chokes against Nadal (as some like to suggest). He put up a great fight in last year's Roland Garros and that's forgotten to only remember the bad results because the triple 6-1 sticks.

Byrd
01-19-2011, 03:11 PM
I don't know why Almagro hates MTF, probably a mutual thing.

Orka_n
01-19-2011, 03:12 PM
That's part of it, yes. There are basically two matches that increased the hatred to disproportional levels IMO.

One against Safin in Valencia in 2006 and the other one against Nadal in Roland Garros in 2008 (6-1, 6-1, 6-1). The Almugro nickname really kicked in after that match.

I don't agree that he always chokes against Nadal. He put up a great fight in last year's Roland Garros and that's forgotten to only remember the bad results because the triple 6-1 sticks.Let's not forget the 5 MPs Mugro wasted in their match at Bercy 2009. :rocker2: That was a match of epic horrificness.

oranges
01-19-2011, 03:14 PM
^^ I meant the match where he had MPs or sth like that, real choke, not the total troucings.

Edit: Orka nailed it, it was Bercy match, I wasn't sure and too lazy to look up

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Let's not forget the 5 MPs Mugro wasted in their match at Bercy 2009. :rocker2: That was a match of epic horrificness.

well, nalby did the same thing against nadull but it's forgotten because the nalbandwagon is a pretty unstopable force.

Orka_n
01-19-2011, 03:16 PM
well, nalby did the same thing against nadull but it's forgotten because the nabandwagon is a pretty unstopable force.At least Nalby has beaten Nadal :rocker2:

Castafiore
01-19-2011, 03:20 PM
well, nalby did the same thing against nadull but it's forgotten because the nalbandwagon is a pretty unstopable force.
That's because Nalbandian has given Nadal a good beating a couple of times. That'll do wonders for a guy's popularity in some circles.

I still think that the Bercy reaction towards Almagro is strongly linked with the triple 6-1. The "choke" reputation really kicked in there. Without it, the Bercy match wouldn't have triggered such reactions because he put up a decent fight there.

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 03:21 PM
At least Nalby has beaten Nadal :rocker2:

because he's a better player but nobody criticizes him nearly as much for choking all those match points against nadal like they have done with almagro. hell, it's been years since it happened and people still remember it and cite it as reason to hate the guy.

just my $.02

Orka_n
01-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Hey, it's only one of the reasons why I dislike him. Like oranges said, it's his general attitude and cocky demeanor that's so off-putting.

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
yeah, i understand that.

i'm not really a fan of the guy but i think there are others mugs who are more annoying who don't get nearly that much criticism. i find stepanek, for example, utterly annoying and yet he seems to be fairly appreacciated around here. maybe it's because of his style of tennis which is kind of unique these days.

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2011, 03:30 PM
yeah, i understand that.

i'm not really a fan of the guy but i think there are others mugs who are more annoying who don't get nearly that much criticism. i find stepanek, for example, utterly annoying and yet he seems to be fairly appreacciated around here. maybe it's because of his style of tennis which is kind of unique these days.

The only thing Steps does nowadays is the fist pumping. :rolleyes:

oranges
01-19-2011, 03:33 PM
because he's a better player but nobody criticizes him nearly as much for choking all those match points against nadal like they have done with almagro. hell, it's been years since it happened and people still remember it and cite it as reason to hate the guy.

just my $.02

Oh, I don't know, Nalbandian receives more than a little flack for all sorts of things. The fact that a lot of people still love him is another matter entirely. Seeing the epic from a day before, can't say it's not understandable why the love part prevails with many. As La Furia said, you can say whatever you want about him, but few are capable of putting on such a show.

(And that mugro choke was not years ago)

oranges
01-19-2011, 03:38 PM

... and we're grateful because some of his circuses were way beyond anything Mugro has ever done.

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 03:38 PM

steps is the type of guy who seeks to get into his rival's skin. i haven't seen him play as of late but i've seen him way too many times deliberately acting like a prick against his opponents to consider being a fan of the lad.

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2011, 03:40 PM
steps is the type of guy who seeks to get into his rival's skin. i haven't seen him play as of late but i've seen him way too many times deliberately acting like a prick against his opponents to consider being a fan of the lad.

Who doesn't do that nowadays?

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Oh, I don't know, Nalbandian receives more than a little flack for all sorts of things. The fact that a lot of people still love him is another matter entirely. Seeing the epic from a day before, can't say it's not understandable why the love part prevails with many. As La Furia said, you can say whatever you want about him, but few are capable of putting on such a show.

well, not gonna speak about nalby once more as my opinion is quite clear. i find him very talented but way too overrated around here. my opinion of course.

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Who doesn't do that nowadays?

the way steps used (hope it's all in the past, as you say) to do it, not many at all.

emotion
01-19-2011, 03:44 PM
He has really grown on me. Don't care for personality, but love his game.

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2011, 04:09 PM
the way steps used (hope it's all in the past, as you say) to do it, not many at all.

Yeah, those were the times. :p

Raquel
01-19-2011, 06:09 PM

I sort of remember that Safin match. I think Almagro got a letcord on a dropshot and didn't apologise and said Vamos to a few Safin errors but nothing too bad. He was very fired up. Had it been Roddick or Hewitt who hadn't shaken his hand, I don't think there would have been the same support for them for not shaking his hand as there was for Marat :)

Seingeist
01-19-2011, 06:39 PM
What's this tripe about "female fanbase," anyway? The gay men on here tend to be a lot more vocal about the hotness of players than the ladies do. :shrug:

And besides, ugliness is never going to be the sole reason that a player is widely disliked (but it is similarly never going to help their case very much - with all audiences).

I haven't seen Almagro play much, but the guy's got no charisma at all and he seems like a jerk. Roddick is a major jerk (don't like him either), but he does have a tiny bit of charisma.

Kiedis
01-19-2011, 06:39 PM
bla bla bla bla

I think the chokes like the one against Nadal raise his profile significantly, though personally, for me it's all about his demeanor. I have high tolerance for headcases, but low for dicks.

This. The true reason here. The friends of my enemy are my enemies... or the Fedtards way of thinking. They likes Fixer or GGL for the opposite reason.
Interesting that almost nobody hates Wawrinka, when he is the swiss version of Almagro :rolleyes:

TMJordan
01-19-2011, 06:40 PM
People are just jealous of his ginormous balls.

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
What's this tripe about "female fanbase," anyway? The gay men on here tend to be a lot more vocal about the hotness of players than the ladies do. :shrug:

And besides, ugliness is never going to be the sole reason that a player is widely disliked (but it is similarly never going to help their case very much - with all audiences).

I haven't seen Almagro play much, but the guy's got no charisma at all and he seems like a jerk. Roddick is a major jerk (don't like him either), but he does have a tiny bit of charisma.

for the record, i'd dare say even straight men get favourable attracted by a male player's looks. safin is a case in point.

that said, can you imagine how popular almagro would be if he looked like safin?

luie
01-19-2011, 06:47 PM
This. The true reason here. The friends of my enemy are my enemies... or the Fedtards way of thinking. They likes Fixer or GGL for the opposite reason.
Interesting that almost nobody hates Wawrinka, when he is the swiss version of Almagro :rolleyes:
Almugro is more like blake,,, a** kisser to his hero nadull.

Sonja1989
01-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks guys, I understand. :sad:
I wanted to know.

Seingeist
01-19-2011, 07:11 PM
for the record, i'd dare say even straight men get favourable attracted by a male player's looks. safin is a case in point.

Oh unquestionably! That's what I meant when I said "for all audiences." That more attractive people receive a more favorable reaction from all sexes and orientations is a basic fact of anthropology.

The only people who would suggest otherwise are insecure and/or homophobic straight men.

FlameOn
01-19-2011, 07:24 PM
He has a great game to watch.

Nadull_tard
01-19-2011, 07:42 PM
He's an utter idiot and a rustic type of a guy. No personal class, no sportsman attitude, a typical bastard of the ATP.
And obviously Mugmugro is a quality mug, choker and Nadull follower.

delpiero7
01-19-2011, 07:45 PM
He's an utter idiot and a rustic type of a guy. No personal class, no sportsman attitude, a typical bastard of the ATP.
And obviously Mugmugro is a quality mug, choker and Nadull follower.

Not only a Nadull follower, but also a Federer follower against whom he possesses an amazing 0-5 record.

ossie
01-19-2011, 07:46 PM
dont like the guy but i love it when he beats an mtf favorite and every1 here gets angry and calls him a mug lol

Nadull_tard
01-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Not only a Nadull follower, but also a Federer follower against whom he possesses an amazing 0-5 record.

Correct me If I'm wrong, but I didn't remark any MP blown against Federer

delpiero7
01-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Correct me If I'm wrong, but I didn't remark any MP blown against Federer

Oh, so if a player blows match points, that means they're a follower of their opponent? In which case Federer in the last 12 months has become a follower of Baghdatis, Berdych, Djokovic and Monfils.

brent-o
01-19-2011, 07:58 PM
I like his strokes, just not him.

philosophicalarf
01-19-2011, 08:06 PM
For all the rationalisations, it comes down to one simple thing:

Almagro has a punchable face.

solowyn
01-19-2011, 08:09 PM
dont like the guy but i love it when he beats an mtf favorite and every1 here gets angry and calls him a mug lol
:lol: Yeah. Though he seems like the type of guy who loves to have haters.

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 08:12 PM

:lol: similarly, the amount of hate he gets here kind of make wanna pull for him to some degree

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 08:25 PM
i've also noticed several spanish players are very hated for different reasons.

nadal, almagro, verdasco, F. lópez, robredo.....

Goat Goat López is the only one who receives the love from the MTF community :lol:

Nole fan
01-19-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't hate Almagro. :awww:
His match against the Russian was epic. :worship:

v-money
01-19-2011, 09:03 PM
If Almagro looked like Safin or Roddick or maybe even Gulbis, he would be loved by MTF. I mean none of these guys have a particularly good attitude. Safin used to bitch a lot but had a nice game, so his court antics were fun for some reason. Roddick still bitches a lot and has an ugly game and Gulbis can be completely negative with no plan B, but they are attractive. As someone said, Almagro looks like a potatoe, so his attitude is not "cool" like Safin's, Roddick's or Gulbis', it somehow becomes annoying. Kind of sad really...I'm really indifferent to him, but he has some nice strokes.

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 09:15 PM

speaking of it, doesnt he have to play ljubicic in the third round?

luie
01-19-2011, 09:22 PM
i've also noticed several spanish players are very hated for different reasons.

nadal, almagro, verdasco, F. lópez, robredo.....

Goat Goat López is the only one who receives the love from the MTF community :lol:
Spanish players are not hated on MTF
GGL/ferrer is respected.
Nadull is disliked for his game style/success
Robredo for being boring & cheater
The rest for being gutless bitchboys,with no heart.

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 09:26 PM
well, yah, that's what im saying. i aint claiming spanish players are loathed per sé or because of the fact they're spanish. im just saying that a lot of them seem to be hated for different reasons

Orka_n
01-19-2011, 09:30 PM
well, yah, that's what im saying. i aint claiming spanish players are loathed per sé or because of the fact they're spanish. im just saying that a lot of them seem to be hated for different reasonsTrue, but the same goes for French players if you think about it. Monfils, Gasquet, Simon, Tsonga & Benneteau all have their fair share of haters. Llodra is pretty popular though. :lol:

ShotmaKer
01-19-2011, 09:34 PM
I don't hate Almagro. :awww:
His match against the Russian was epic. :worship:

The one where Safin did not shake his hand ?

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 09:36 PM
True, but the same goes for French players if you think about it. Monfils, Gasquet, Simon, Tsonga & Benneteau all have their fair share of haters. Llodra is pretty popular though. :lol:

yah, i guess so but i think the spanish receive more hate in general. i don't mean this necessarily as a bad thing btw. some times the hate is warranted. other times it isn't.

monfils is hated for being a clown and a bit of a pusher
simon because of his unattractive tennis but he's not really that hated (at least not nearly as much as mugro, verdasco or boredo), imo
gasquet because he's choked way too many matches but deep down you know MTF still wants to see him winning (funny to say this now, because he used to be one of the MTF favourites a few years ago)
tsonga and bennie... are they really hated?

ShotmaKer
01-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Blake is also massively hated on these boards :o :sad:

Dini
01-19-2011, 09:40 PM
I think his antics in the tiebreak vs. Richard Gasquet in Acapulco last year summed up his iffy sportsmanship. His celebrations afterwards - as if he'd won a slam - only added to it. That's just one memorable example (maybe I remember it more because Gasquet choked heavily in it, but still). Does he have a pleasing game on clay? I'd say yes but there are so many off-putting things about his personality and behaviour that just leaves me not able to watch with ease.

Orka_n
01-19-2011, 09:42 PM
tsonga and bennie... are they really hated?Some dislike Tsonga for his over-the-top cockiness and on-court antics. Benny is just viewed upon as a huge mug, but that goes for all players outside top 20. :worship:

ShotmaKer
01-19-2011, 09:50 PM
I saw him practicing and chatting with Ferrero and Federer at RG last year. He looked like quite the joker and they seemed to have quite a good time the lot of them.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/447/cimg0465r.jpg

Sapeod
01-19-2011, 10:04 PM
He gets a lot of unwarranted flack on here. I reckon it's because:

1. 6-1 6-1 6-1
2. He's not handsome.
3. He's beaten a lot of people's favourites, but that shouldn't make you hate him. He beat Murray at Roland Garros in 2008, but I didn't start hating the guy.

I don't hate him, but I'm not a huge fan. I like watching him, though.
He's one of those players I will happily see win against anybody, except for my top faves. Of course, I find it hilarious when he beats an MTF favourite and there's outrage :haha:
I've never seen anything more pathetic than when MTF starts attacking him for beating their favourite player :awww: :lol:

Nole fan
01-19-2011, 10:16 PM
I saw him practicing and chatting with Ferrero and Federer at RG last year. He looked like quite the joker and they seemed to have quite a good time the lot of them.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/447/cimg0465r.jpg

The player we see on a court is different from his real persona. Almagro could be the sweetest guy on earth and at the same time be perceived as a jerk on court. :shrug:

Sonja1989
01-19-2011, 10:21 PM
The player we see on a court is different from his real persona. Almagro could be the sweetest guy on earth and at the same time be perceived as a jerk on court. :shrug:

+1 :D

ossie
01-19-2011, 11:20 PM
speaking of it, doesnt he have to play ljubicic in the third round?yup
btw for all the hate the guy gets he got closest to taking a set from rafa at the last roland garros if im not mistaken so if hes a mug what does that make the others?

A_Skywalker
01-19-2011, 11:22 PM
mental midget
awful attitude
general douche

What looks does Roddick have that I dont know about :confused:

Orka_n
01-19-2011, 11:27 PM
The player we see on a court is different from his real persona. Almagro could be the sweetest guy on earth and at the same time be perceived as a jerk on court. :shrug:Not quite. If we perceive him as a jerk on court, it's probably because he IS a jerk on court. And I'd like to think the "sweetest guy in the world" would be able to behave even on a tennis court.
Besides, is his off court behavior even relevant? We're discussing why we dislike Almagro as a tennis player right now.

oranges
01-19-2011, 11:29 PM
If Almagro looked like Safin or Roddick or maybe even Gulbis, he would be loved by MTF.

Ehm, Roddick looks like Roddick and I wouldn't say he's loved by MTF.

oranges
01-19-2011, 11:32 PM

Oh, Kiedis found a bit about Rafito and decided to chip in :zzz: And what kind of glasses do you need to wear to compare Stan and Mugro?

Mungo
01-19-2011, 11:35 PM
He is in top 20 and he has little fanbase. Why?

Because he is a little of a tool

Mungo
01-19-2011, 11:36 PM

An american look to hide his bald head

fast_clay
01-19-2011, 11:37 PM
ahhh.. almugro's ok... just looks like he'd steal your car then sell try to sell it back to you... theifin bastardo....

i think the majority of the hate comes from the fact the guy has the talent to be doing some proper damage at Roland Garros... i mean, he's got the heavy clay game that could disarm nadal even on a dry day... even nadal himself knows this... just feels the need to bend over - and bending over at grand slams became the dance of the decade 2000-2010...

guy obviously doesn't mind a laugh though... well... he didn't mind a chuckle when youhzny got all Ivan Drago and opened him own forehead up with his racquet... all time great moment in tennis...

Nole fan
01-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Not quite. If we perceive him as a jerk on court, it's probably because he IS a jerk on court. And I'd like to think the "sweetest guy in the world" would be able to behave even on a tennis court.
Besides, is his off court behavior even relevant? We're discussing why we dislike Almagro as a tennis player right now.

It is relevant because someone pointed out that he seemed quite the joker off court. :shrug:

KaiserT
01-19-2011, 11:44 PM
It is relevant because someone pointed out that he seemed quite the joker off court. :shrug:

Because boorish tools can't tell jokes?

01-19-2011, 11:48 PM

idk, but he''s fucking

http://1.2.3.13/bmi/sports.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/brooklyn-decker.jpg

every night. hats off to him

Kiedis
01-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Oh, Kiedis found a bit about Rafito and decided to chip in :zzz: And what kind of glasses do you need to wear to compare Stan and Mugro?

I'm not the one who dislike a player because he is friend of other. I'm not the one who mentioned Nadal when we are talking about Almagro. Indeed, his name is Nicolas Almagro Sánchez. He is only know like Mugro between the most rabid Fedtards. Respect the guy, fangirl.

Orka_n
01-19-2011, 11:59 PM
It is relevant because someone pointed out that he seemed quite the joker off court. :shrug:Okay.
Now, I know I can't really judge Mugro's personality solely on how he behaves on a tennis court. But when asked why I dislike him, my perception of him as a tennis player is what's relevant... and I don't know what he's like off court anyway. :)

oranges
01-20-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm not the one who mentioned Nadal when we are talking about Almagro.

You decided to chip in solely because of a bit where Nadal was mentioned, even bothered to disregard the rest of the post with bla bla. Clown, go back to kissing Rafito posters. When you decide to talk as an adult, rather than delusional obsessed fangirl, I suggest starting with reading the entire post and putting it in the context of the conversation you're butting into. Now, if you'll excuse me, sweet queen, I've had enough of your inane drivel for at least a month.

green25814
01-20-2011, 12:10 AM
It's mostly because his name fits perfectly with MTF's favourite insult. Almugro.

Also he DOES have a punchable face.

And yeah its always hilarious how Rafa fangirl/boys appear from nowhere to derail things at the slightest mention of their hero's name.

GlennMirnyi
01-20-2011, 12:14 AM
For all the rationalisations, it comes down to one simple thing:

Almagro has a punchable face.

:worship:

Blake is also massively hated on these boards :o :sad:

RR episode. Remember that?

Nole fan
01-20-2011, 12:27 AM
A punchable face, why?

fast_clay
01-20-2011, 12:40 AM
A punchable face, why?

a punchable face needs no reason... greasy murcian...

abraxas21
01-20-2011, 12:43 AM
it would be hilarious if almagro were to beat olderer in this AO

Kiedis
01-20-2011, 12:47 AM
it would be hilarious if almagro were to beat olderer in this AO

He never has been able to do such thing. Nor Feliciano, Verdasco, or Ferrer. However nobody accuses them of anything for it :rolleyes:

fast_clay
01-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Why does EVERYTHING have to be about Fraud and Nadull here?

:help:

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

i hear you man...

it's like that scene where John Malkovich rides the portal into John Malkovich's head...

'nadal, nadal, nadal nadaaaaaal, nadal nadal naadal, nadal... ohhh nadal....'(nods)

oranges
01-20-2011, 12:51 AM
i hear you man...

it's like that scene where John Malkovich rides the portal into John Malkovich's head...

'nadal, nadal, nadal nadaaaaaal, nadal nadal naadal, nadal... ohhh nadal....'(nods)

:haha: :worship:

ShotmaKer
01-20-2011, 01:04 AM
RR episode. Remember that?

I do. But to be fair, RRs were an horrendous idea anyway. And De Villiers was a complete moron changing the rules in the midst of the tournament then overruling his own overrule. Looking back, that incident helped dismantling the RR circus. But at the end of the day, I have the feeling people on here don't like Blake because of his "brainless ballbashing" style and his image more than because of that incident. Well, I like him so to each their own I guess.

philosophicalarf
01-20-2011, 01:12 AM
A punchable face, why?

Blue is blue, yellow is yellow, red is red.

Some things just are.

Getta
01-20-2011, 01:15 AM
he's a pretty man and i want to start a movement against people saying his head is big.

GlennMirnyi
01-20-2011, 01:31 AM
perhaps you might say that when it's time to do battle... best to fight fire with fire...

Exactly.

When fighting Ronald McDonald, bring the Gooch.

n8
01-20-2011, 01:34 AM
I might get flack for this, but I like Almagro and Robredo. I reward consistency with who I like. Almagro has won at least one clay title each year since 2006, pretty amazing for someone who hasn't been top 10. Robredo was top 30 in every year-end ranking from 2001-2009 :worship:

oranges
01-20-2011, 01:34 AM
:lol:

Edit: That was for Ronald McDonald, not at you StatRacket ;)

abraxas21
01-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Nicolás Almagro Sánchez

http://newballs.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/nicolas-almagro-acapulco-2009.jpg

The People's Champion

Kiedis
01-20-2011, 01:57 AM
Time to change my avi :angel:

http://www.videos-deporte.net/img_videos/Fernando-Verdasco-1-6,6-4,1-6,4-6-Nicolas-Almagro.-Roland-Garros-2010.jpg

Fuck you, haters!

oranges
01-20-2011, 01:58 AM
^^ Is there still need to ask why it's a punchable face? :lol:

fast_clay
01-20-2011, 02:02 AM
yeah... that face is deffo punchable... i only needed to stare at it for 10 seconds to know he wants to come to my place and eat all my ice cream...

f**ken prick...

Leo
01-20-2011, 02:04 AM
he's not pretty enough to have the female fanbase that several much more detestable mugs on here have.

More detestable than Almagro? Oh, you mean Kiefer? No, he's ugly too.

Almagro is one of the biggest on-court douches on tour. And his game sucks and is one-dimensional. And he's ugly.

GlennMirnyi
01-20-2011, 02:14 AM
why dont you go watch male modeling then?

i swear, the amount of clowns on this site is epic

There's a reason this place is called by some "meet the fools".

tennisfan856
01-20-2011, 02:21 AM
During last year's grass court season in one of the warm-up tournaments (think Eastbourne), Almagro literally stayed on the ground with a "hip" injury and retired from the match. But, he also demanded (yes, he was yelling for it, i watched it) a stretcher to haul his ass off the court.

One week later, Almagro looked 100% playing in Wimbledon but his overall grass-court mugginess got him eliminated.That little anecdote is why he is hated in the tennis world.

He also pulled a prick move on Ginepri at the U.S Open (2009 i think) where 5-5 in the 5th set, he calls out for a 10-15 minute break on Ginepri's serve. Robby proceeded to get broken immediately after the break and Almagro held on to win 7-5.

He's just a class a douchebag.

GlennMirnyi
01-20-2011, 02:23 AM
During last year's grass court season in one of the warm-up tournaments (think Eastbourne), Almagro literally stayed on the ground with a "hip" injury and retired from the match. But, he also demanded (yes, he was yelling for it, i watched it) a stretcher to haul his ass off the court.

One week later, Almagro looked 100% playing in Wimbledon but his overall grass-court mugginess got him eliminated.That little anecdote is why he is hated in the tennis world.

He also pulled a prick move on Ginepri at the U.S Open (2009 i think) where 5-5 in the 5th set, he calls out for a 10-15 minute break on Ginepri's serve. Robby proceeded to get broken immediately after the break and Almagro held on to win 7-5.

He's just a class a douchebag.

I remember that vividly.

BlueSoul Formula
01-20-2011, 02:32 AM
No one will admit to this but the dominate reason that Nicolas Almagro does not get the admiration that he truly deserves is because he is not the typical Spanish model. People are vain at heart and Almagro looks more Mexican than Spanish. This rubs people the wrong way, because in a very sad but true fact, the Mexican people are not as beloved as the fair raced Europeans.

oranges
01-20-2011, 02:43 AM
:spit: Love the racial spin on this

GlennMirnyi
01-20-2011, 03:11 AM
:spit: Love the racial spin on this

Yeah! :lol:

Seingeist
01-20-2011, 03:40 AM
I know perfectly European-looking folks who also have the misfortune of an extremely punchable face.

It is a feature that transcends racial boundaries. :yeah:

Sonja1989
03-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Sadly I think he has new haters too. :sad:

TMJordan
03-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Don't worry.

I'm a fan :yeah:

Elbarto
03-13-2011, 10:41 PM
He is in top 20 and he has little fanbase. Why?

I think he is like a "Spanish Gasquet", a talented player but unable to win big tournaments ( masters 1000, slams ), sometimes a disapointing behaviour on court ( choker style )

he lacks of mental strength, so it's very frustrating for everyone to become one of his fans

fast_clay
03-13-2011, 10:50 PM
i like it.

1. punchable face
2. spanish gasquet

that's an oversupply

/thread closed

Luinir
03-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Almagro isn't mentally weak. He's 9-3 in finals.

Sonja1989
03-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Don't worry.

I'm a fan :yeah:

:yeah:

I think he is like a "Spanish Gasquet", a talented player but unable to win big tournaments ( masters 1000, slams ), sometimes a disapointing behaviour on court ( choker style )

he lacks of mental strength, so it's very frustrating for everyone to become one of his fans

He improved much of mentally and I can say... I'm his big fan and it's good. Really. He has very nice game, I like it. :)

ossie
03-14-2011, 12:55 AM
its clear now why he is so hated here, the guy is a safin killer ffs :haha:

oranges
03-14-2011, 01:19 AM
:spit: What do you know, Mugro is hated for racial reasons, fluking a win over semi-retired players, pretty much anything apart from being Mugro. Wonder why Santoro, who could be called a Safin killer with a straight face, isn't hated at all. Ossie being a clown, color me surprised.

Raiden
03-14-2011, 05:01 AM
No one will admit to this but the dominate reason that Nicolas Almagro does not get the admiration that he truly deserves is because he is not the typical Spanish model. People are vain at heart and Almagro looks more Mexican than Spanish. This rubs people the wrong way, because in a very sad but true fact, the Mexican people are not as beloved as the fair raced Europeans.What do you mean looks more Mexican than Spanish? Is he from there or in some way part Indian/Mestizo or something?

I thought he was just Spanish. You know quite a significant percent of people over there on the entire Iberian peninsula (both in Spain and Portugal) have Almagro-like complexion without being foreigners or recent generation immigrants. The reigning tour de france champ Alberto Contador being another example of this.

Action Jackson
03-14-2011, 05:10 AM
He isn't pretty enough to be forgiven for any antics.

As for Almagro, well he is Murcia and the Moors were there for a very long period of time so it wouldn't be surprising if there was some Moorish influence.

Ossie is going to win rounds for sure during the ACC.

fast_clay
03-14-2011, 05:28 AM
Ossie is going to win rounds for sure during the ACC.

guy is eyeing a high seeding... potential heavy weight... i'm talkin the lennox lewis type, not your cruiserweights in disguise...

GlennMirnyi
03-14-2011, 05:39 AM
i like it.

1. punchable face
2. spanish gasquet

that's an oversupply

/thread closed

Legendary post. :worship:

Action Jackson
04-23-2011, 02:23 PM
guy is eyeing a high seeding... potential heavy weight... i'm talkin the lennox lewis type, not your cruiserweights in disguise...

High grade clown of the highest order.

My point stands about not being a pretty boy.

Orka_n
04-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Great bump. This thread has some hilarious posts. :lol:

JeffCandoi
04-23-2011, 03:01 PM
I <3 Almagro

Nole fan
04-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I really like Almagro. He's a very good player. The hate your receive is proportional to the success you have. So watch out now that he's top 10 he will be more hated than ever. :lol:

Sapeod
04-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Seems that some haters are jealous that he has been doing well this season. He has always been hated, for a variety of reasons by spotty bitter posters, but now he'll be almost as hated as Murray on here. I hope he does well and gets an even higher ranking soon and shoves his success down your throats.

Why is ossie a clown for saying he's hated for being a Safin killer? Sure, ossie is a huge clown, but what he said is true. Every player that has beaten Safin more times than lost to him is hated pretty much. Santoro is the exception, because he was so fun to watch and was a class act. One of the reasons Almagro is hated probably, though mostly by extreme Safin nostalgia fans.

Orka_n
04-23-2011, 03:42 PM
I really like Almagro. He's a very good player. The hate your receive is proportional to the success you have. So watch out now that he's top 10 he will be more hated than ever. :lol:Fame in itself doesn't induce hatred.

Chris Kuerten
04-23-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm a huge Safintard and can't even remember him playing against Almagro :lol:

Filo V.
04-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I can't disagree with the fact that Almagro is less liked because he isn't overly hot. The whole Mexican angle I think is ridiculous, but the looks part of it isn't. Lopez, Chardy, Tursunov, hell even Brands, have quite a few fans, and they are worse players. Roddick plays a game most on here say is boring, including people who like him, yet has tons of fans. Almagro only has maybe 3 or 4 people who openly promote him and the fact they like him.

peribsen
04-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I've never been able to warm up to Almagro. There's something in his attitude that really bugs me. I remember a match where he was constantly brawling with the umpire. The match ended and he was still cursing. Would be bad enough if he was right about a call, but in fact he was baddly wrong about it. He's is the least likeable of all the Spanish bunch.

You know quite a significant percent of people over there on the entire Iberian peninsula (both in Spain and Portugal) have Almagro-like complexion

As for Almagro, well he is Murcia and the Moors were there for a very long period of time so it wouldn't be surprising if there was some Moorish influence.

Funny how some people define European looks, there are plenty of the Almagro phenotype all over the Mediterranean. Seems like some here would think ancient Greeks and Romans looked more or less like present day Northern Europeans!! Germanic blood seeped down from the north at quite a late age, even Celtic blood was a relative late-comer to the Med. Certainly Almagro may have some Semitic genes, as many Iberians and Southern Italians have, but his looks (especially his complexion) could well be explained by ancient Mediterranean ethnic types. So little historical depth in so many people nowadays!

AnnaK_4ever
04-23-2011, 03:50 PM
I really like Almagro. He's a very good player. The hate your receive is proportional to the success you have. So watch out now that he's top 10 he will be more hated than ever. :lol:

Wishful thinking.

Filo V.
04-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I like Mucho because he's matured and plays an aggressive game.

Sapeod
04-23-2011, 03:57 PM
That is bullshit. Fame in itself doesn't induce hatred.
Of course it does.

peribsen
04-23-2011, 03:59 PM
now he'll be almost as hated as Murray on here. (..)
One of the reasons Almagro is hated probably, though mostly by extreme Safin nostalgia fans.

I'm a huge Safintard and can't even remember him playing against Almagro :lol:

Murray isn't hated all that much here. Some posters do hate him with a vengeance (like happens to all top guys), but I believe more people respect him as a great player and quite a few of us really like him, though we are often irritated by some of his tards (and I'm not thinking about anyone in particular, why should you think so....).

Almagro played Safin thrice, winning all 3:
Rome 2005 rd32 64 63
Valencia 2006 SF 62 26 64
Bastad 2009 rd32 63 76(6)

Doubt much of his hate comes from there, though.

Orka_n
04-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Of course it does.If you're a dislikable person like Almagro, then yes, you're right.

Otherwise, no. Do you know what fame brings more than anything else? Observers. If those observers don't like what they see, as in Almagro's case, they turn to haters. If the do like what they see, as in Edberg's case, they turn to fans. It's that simple.
Of course, fame also breeds envy, but those sad people are always in the minority if the person in question is likable.

tennisfan856
04-23-2011, 04:52 PM
He could be from Antarctica for all I care, but he always throws in a wrench into his reputation once you start warming up to him. He's been relatively good this year so far but that retirement at eastbourne was pitiful last year.

Nole fan
04-23-2011, 05:12 PM
If you're a dislikable person like Almagro, then yes, you're right.

Otherwise, no. Do you know what fame brings more than anything else? Observers. If those observers don't like what they see, as in Almagro's case, they turn to haters. If the do like what they see, as in Edberg's case, they turn to fans. It's that simple.
Of course, fame also breeds envy, but those sad people are always in the minority if the person in question is likable.

It brings haters because the player is more feared than before and hence he can become a threat to your favorites. It equally brings many lovers too. We can say it just brings attention, negative or positive.

Action Jackson
04-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Almagro was hated well before he made top 10. Boris Pashanski would have even more if he was on the main tour.

martine wagoner
04-23-2011, 05:36 PM
So...pundits and fans measure a player's value as a participant in this great sport with regards to their "female fan base?". Pete Sampras was no hottie and that had nothing to do with respecting his efforts and althetic acheivements. Granted Almagro is not Sampras but who gives a crap anout Female fan base.
I watch a lot of tennis on TV and have been to Indian wells. Roddick has a foul mouth and rude behavior on court even as much as throwing towels back to ballboys and girls. Almagro's nowhere near the bad boy on court as is Roddick and ANDY MURRAY. Ever counted the number of times Murray says F*** during a match?

Amlagro's not one of the worse and his recent rise in rankings says a lot about how hard he has worked to be where he is. Don't be a playah hatahs y'all.

Orka_n
04-23-2011, 10:05 PM
It brings haters because the player is more feared than before and hence he can become a threat to your favorites. It equally brings many lovers too. We can say it just brings attention, negative or positive.That's exactly what I said, you know. In Almagro's case, the attention will probably be mostly negative.

abraxas21
04-23-2011, 10:15 PM
i was mostly indifferent towards mugro until i saw all the hate he gets here, then i started to become a bit of a fan precisely to counter the mugro-hate.

he's prolly the only spaniard i like atm. hes a bit of a mental case but i quite like his game. he easily has the most beautiful clay court game among top 100 players at least.

Sonja1989
04-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Good to see that more poster like him than I thought. And... some posters have here just weird (I have to say funny) reasons...

I read that he is ugly... who cares? The point is his game. No?

Yeah, I'm afraid he will have just more hater... :scared:

So...pundits and fans measure a player's value as a participant in this great sport with regards to their "female fan base?". Pete Sampras was no hottie and that had nothing to do with respecting his efforts and althetic acheivements. Granted Almagro is not Sampras but who gives a crap anout Female fan base.
I watch a lot of tennis on TV and have been to Indian wells. Roddick has a foul mouth and rude behavior on court even as much as throwing towels back to ballboys and girls. Almagro's nowhere near the bad boy on court as is Roddick and ANDY MURRAY. Ever counted the number of times Murray says F*** during a match?

Amlagro's not one of the worse and his recent rise in rankings says a lot about how hard he has worked to be where he is. Don't be a playah hatahs y'all.

You are right. Almagro isn't too bad behavior on court. I adopted this reason on Robredo but Almagro is different...

i was mostly indifferent towards mugro until i saw all the hate he gets here, then i started to become a bit of a fan precisely to counter the mugro-hate.

he's prolly the only spaniard i like atm. hes a bit of a mental case but i quite like his game. he easily has the most beautiful clay court game among top 100 players at least.

:hug: :hug:

Sunset of Age
04-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Sorry, I just don't like him. Massive choker, clown, Big head, ugly. :shrug:

That said, I will acknowledge & congratulate him with his good victories.
If you just don't mind me laughing at his clownish losses either. :p

Sonja1989
04-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Sorry, I just don't like him. Massive choker, clown, Big head, ugly. :shrug:

I know that you give me answer. Why should hate somebody if he had big and ugly head? This isn't part of game.

If you just don't mind me laughing at his clownish losses either. :p

He has few sometimes I know. But who don't?

Roddickominator
04-23-2011, 11:42 PM
I don't think people care too much one way or the other about Almagro. I actually think that the name "Almugro" works so well that everyone simply knows him as that, regardless of his actual play. He is also a very uninteresting player, so the hater name "Almugro" is also more fun and entertaining than anything else about him.

@Sweet Cleopatra
04-24-2011, 12:06 AM
This is just a forum where people talk about famous players, whether people like them or not, they are the ones that play the sport we are talking about.
Most people here are going to be so happy if they were ranked in top 100, thats if they actually play tennis.
Don't take it so serious, we are just talking. It won't change any thing if we give credit or not.

Kat_YYZ
04-24-2011, 12:13 AM
I don't think people care too much one way or the other about Almagro. I actually think that the name "Almugro" works so well that everyone simply knows him as that, regardless of his actual play. He is also a very uninteresting player, so the hater name "Almugro" is also more fun and entertaining than anything else about him.

This.

he's really not interesting/controversial enough to warrant so much attention. it's gotta be the name.

which is kind of sad.

pinkkiwi72
04-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Congrats to Almagro for making the semi-finals in Barcelona. Bigger congrats to Ferrer though. I agree with 'martine wagoner' above that the haters have got it wrong, so he is emotional on court and slams his racket about sometimes. Ferrer makes smashing his racket an art form, and yells out all sorts of things on the court!! and plays with his tongue sticking out of his mouth and few people dislike him for it. :p

As far as looks go, Almagro isn't that bad looking, ok he is no Feliciano Lopez or Fernando Verdasco but he is nowhere as unattractive as Jurgen Melzer, Marcos Baghbatis, or an ageing portly Nalbanian or Andy Murray on a bad hair day? In any case who cares about their looks - just enjoy the tennis.

KaiserT
04-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Because he comes over as a complete and utter cock on court. And has an immensely punchable face.

He also generally plays like a mug in his higher profile matches vs top players, which I suppose is what the majority see of him.

04-24-2011, 01:23 AM
punchable face
great strokes though
chokes against nadal were the worst (even though they were the cause for AJ epic fail thread)

MIMIC
04-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Almagro hates MTF? :eek:

:p

Topspindoctor
04-24-2011, 01:29 AM
punchable face
great strokes though
chokes against nadal were the worst (even though they were the cause for AJ epic fail thread)

When Nadal was routing everyone last clay season, Almagro took a set in Madrid and took him to two tie breaks in RG. If it was any other player, he'd be hailed as a hero who's not afraid to push Nadal on clay.

However because he's from Spain and because he choked on couple occasions he's labeled as a choking mug who loses to Nadal on purpose.

04-24-2011, 01:41 AM
However because he's from Spain and because he choked on couple occasions he's labeled as a choking mug who loses to Nadal on purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcGYhfeMEx4&feature=related

now shush

abraxas21
04-24-2011, 01:45 AM
nalbandian has also choked big time against nadull. one time he lost like 5 match points and ended up losing the match a la almagro. then again, most people here love nalbandian

Topspindoctor
04-24-2011, 01:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcGYhfeMEx4&feature=related

now shush

That's why I said "choked on couple of occasions".

Almagro gets hate because of the wrong perception that he "bends down", while in reality he either gets outplayed or his mental strength lets him down like in the above match.

I mean Nalbandian wasted a million match points against Nadal in IW2009 as well, but he's still regarded as a hero on these boards.

Sapeod
04-24-2011, 01:48 AM
When Nadal was routing everyone last clay season, Almagro took a set in Madrid and took him to two tie breaks in RG. If it was any other player, he'd be hailed as a hero who's not afraid to push Nadal on clay.

Quite the contrary. Almagro is one of the few Spanish players who doesn't purposely bend over to Nadal, Ferrer of course being the other one.

peribsen
04-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Quite the contrary. Almagro is one of the few Spanish players who doesn't purposely bend over to Nadal, Ferrer of course being the other one.

Where do you get the 'purposely' from? Do you think Verdasco meekly moved out of the way in AO 2009? Or Feli in Queens 2010? Do you think pro players who are fighting for their rankings simply bow down to Rafa? Couldn't it be that most Spanish players -like many non-Spanish players- are simply impressed by playing a top-guy and that affects their mood, with 'purposely' not coming in anywhere?

Of coure not. You hate Rafa too much not to accept that his many wins can be attributed to anything but cheating, gamesmanship and mafiose overlording of his countrimen.

Go play your bagpipe.

oranges
04-24-2011, 02:15 PM
nalbandian has also choked big time against nadull. one time he lost like 5 match points and ended up losing the match a la almagro. then again, most people here love nalbandian

So desperate you want to compare the one who beat Nadal 0 and 1 with the one who's record is 0-7? :haha: I'd leave the support to Mugro to Sonja, she's likable. You OTOH can only contribute to increased hate for him with these kind of arguments.

abraxas21
01-22-2012, 08:41 AM
So desperate you want to compare the one who beat Nadal 0 and 1 with the one who's record is 0-7? :haha: I'd leave the support to Mugro to Sonja, she's likable. You OTOH can only contribute to increased hate for him with these kind of arguments.

different situations, miss. but if we're gonna compare all aspects of a given player, i'd stay with mugro. for all of his talent, nalbandian acts like a sensitive bitch most of the times.

and yes, im aware that this reply comes almost a year late. but late is better than ever or so they say.

Sombrerero loco
01-22-2012, 09:19 AM
i hate him, and im spanish.he is a terrible mug, no attitude, no respect for the other player...
worst sportmanship EVER
and he is so overranked too

Sonja1989
01-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Okay, what you all say.. He is ugly, has bad attitude, behavior etc.. But seriously, these things are more important than his game??

finishingmove
01-22-2012, 02:38 PM
he's a great character for the sport

BrazilTBfan
01-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Why MTF hates Almagro?

It's simple: he's Almagro. Only it

BrazilTBfan
01-22-2012, 02:46 PM
I hate him, but I respect the fans of him

misty1
01-22-2012, 02:55 PM
im not a fan but i dont hate him. If anything the baseless hate he gets on here has warmed me to him a little more

Ozone
01-22-2012, 02:59 PM
He's a faker. No class, no sportsmanship, no respect for anyone. When he faked that injury at 5-4 on Ginepri's serve in the 5th set in the US Open I couldn't believe he got away with such shit.

Raiden
01-22-2012, 03:21 PM
yes, im aware that this reply comes almost a year late. but late is better than ever or so they say.Just be honest man, you necromancied this thread only because you are attempting to somehow whitewash Berdych for his unjustified and unsportsmanlike behavior today which rightly caused him to get massively booed :p

Sombrerero loco
01-22-2012, 03:37 PM
he's a great character for the sport

:facepalm:

JolánGagó
01-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Envy fungus, ravaging sub-human soul.

gaitare
11-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Hm.

ZaZoo)
11-18-2012, 07:28 PM
I wonder :lol:

MuzzahLovah
11-18-2012, 07:37 PM
I though you guys like the attacking game style. I've read he is ugly, has bad attitude, behavior etc.. But seriously, these things are more important than his game?? :shrug:

Yep. Same for Fed.

Pratik
11-18-2012, 07:39 PM
It's surprising that almost no one here likes Almagro.
His BH should be enough to get him at least a few fans.

Fed fordawin
11-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Not a fan but he has a pleasant game when he's on. Too bad he's a mug most of the time.

MariaV
11-18-2012, 07:51 PM
It's surprising that almost no one here likes Almagro.
His BH should be enough to get him at least a few fans.

Oh he has a few fans I'm sure.
Peta Pan was one, I haven't seen her posting lately though.

MaxPower
11-18-2012, 07:53 PM
His game is exciting, at least compared to Nadal and Ferrer but he's sort of a douchebag on court sometimes. Can openly mock opponents. One classic is when he smiles and laughs at errors, often looking right at the opponent. Also often does the death stare and big outbursts over calls against him. He also got a punchable face. Like you want to punch him in the face when you see him.

In addition a notorious "bend-over" player to his spanish overlords. Folds like a house of cards vs Ferrer all the time. Like this years Båstad Final. It was just 0 effort and he lost 2-6, 2-6 and everyone in the crowd was like wtf is this shit? 0-12 in H2H. He needs to man up and improve his attitude to deserve being close to or even in the top10.

tennisfan856
11-18-2012, 07:58 PM
seeing him live, he managed to turn a pro-nico crowd before the match completely against him while facing petzschner at uso.

People just hated his atittude, the "death stares" he gave to pascal after winning challenges or missed calls. By the end of the match, people were pissed he won when he was the attraction to the match in the first place.

He's just a prick on-court and you can't warm up to him. The sportsmanship (the stretcher at eastbourne, ginepri incident) has been toned down, but he's still an ass.

His backhand is nice, but his returning is so painful that you really don't get to see it in action unless he's on clay.

Alex999
11-18-2012, 08:08 PM
MTF hates everyone. not a big deal.

lidal
11-18-2012, 08:11 PM
His game is exciting, at least compared to Nadal and Ferrer but he's sort of a douchebag on court sometimes. Can openly mock opponents. One classic is when he smiles and laughs at errors, often looking right at the opponent. Also often does the death stare and big outbursts over calls against him. He also got a punchable face. Like you want to punch him in the face when you see him.
:worship:

+ he is a mug of epic proportions :o

RNW
11-18-2012, 08:37 PM
As a fan I can understand why many people don't find it easy to like him.
But it's actually pretty easy to like his game.

Today's performance was not very good,
he did not show up the right commitment.
He was not good enough mentally.

I still like his game very much,
but I have problems with his attitude and mental instability as well.
For example his matches against Ferrer are the equal to Ferrer with his matches against Nadal.

Almagro can not beat Ferrer, although he has the game and had set/ matchpoints.
Like Ferrer, who can not win against Nadal although he has the game and had set/ matchpoints and leads blown away.

So, to like a player as a person and a player's game are two different things. All I can say is that I really like Almagro's game.

tangerine_dream
11-18-2012, 08:43 PM
All around douchebaggery, plus Almagro has one of those unctuous faces that you immediately dislike and want to punch.

mental midget
awful attitude
general douche

Roddick a mental midget :lol: That's a new one.

Henry Chinaski
11-18-2012, 08:51 PM
mugro is a good guy.

i've come round to him since he's started tweeting. revealed a side to his personality I didn't know existed. intelligent, humble, sensitive and self-aware.

mtf hates him because mtf is full of hypocrite clowns who despise gamesmanship, just as long as it's not one of their favourites doing it.

espana
11-18-2012, 09:12 PM
only spanish player i dislike, he's a jerk

Hian-GOAT
11-18-2012, 09:35 PM
He sucks. His tennis sucks. His personality is annoying more than Peak Sapeod.

Always a good day when this talentless scrub loses a match.

Edda
11-19-2012, 02:33 AM
Espana,

Almagro is my least favorite Spanish player too, along with Verdasco. Their attitudes are atypical of Spanish players. Feli parties a little too much, but I don't dislike him. Almagro hasn't learned anything from his association with Juan Carlos Ferrero. I don't understand how these two could be friends. They are polar opposites.

BroTree123
11-19-2012, 02:37 AM
He's a dickhead, but then again, aren't we all to a certain degree?

Although I dislike him because his mentality is shocking. It's the biggest letdown to his entire game.

Chirag
11-19-2012, 02:41 AM
He is boring :shrug:

GOATsol
11-19-2012, 02:47 AM
His name is easy to make fun of because you just turn the mag into mug.

Also, he's Nadal's bitch.

gulzhan
11-19-2012, 02:48 AM
No reason to hate Almagro but when was MTF reasonable? :shrug:

Noserer
11-19-2012, 02:52 AM
His name is easy to make fun of because you just turn the mag into mug.

Also, he's Nadal's bitch.

You still love Federer :confused:

GOATsol
11-19-2012, 02:53 AM
You still love Federer :confused:
Yes, so I hate that Almugro bends over for his master.

kinski76
11-19-2012, 02:55 AM
I actually quite like Almagro's style of play (he's more entertaining to watch than many of his compatriots), but his lack of mental fortitude is a bit of a turn-off. Ability to deal with pressure is a big part of the game and Nico is clearly somewhat lacking in this department.

n8
11-19-2012, 04:09 AM
Almagro is such a good player. He has an excellent backhand, forehand and serve. According to this function, he is near the very, very top.

Min (attacking forehand, attacking backhand, serve power)

Sure, his movement and mentality let him down, but what a player he is!

abraxas21
11-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Espana,

Almagro is my least favorite Spanish player too, along with Verdasco. Their attitudes are atypical of Spanish players. Feli parties a little too much, but I don't dislike him. Almagro hasn't learned anything from his association with Juan Carlos Ferrero. I don't understand how these two could be friends. They are polar opposites.

what do you know about almagro in the first place? let me guess: fuck all.

abraxas21
11-19-2012, 04:55 AM
He is boring :shrug:

says the tard of two known fixers of the game: dolgopolov and tipsarevic. i guess that's your cup of tea.

or perhaps it's that boring picture of federer holding another wimby trophy the thing you like. "he's swiss, he's number 1, he speaks good english, he's perfect".

abraxas21
11-19-2012, 04:57 AM
I actually quite like Almagro's style of play (he's more entertaining to watch than many of his compatriots), but his lack of mental fortitude is a bit of a turn-off. Ability to deal with pressure is a big part of the game and Nico is clearly somewhat lacking in this department.

+1

almagro is one of the few spanish players i enjoy watching but yes, he's not known for his mental fortitude and that's a turn off at times.

then again, i reckon the majority of MTF dislike him because he's managed to piss off some sacred cows here ans also because he's not a pretty guy.

RafaelNadalisGod
11-19-2012, 05:09 AM
He epitomizes the word "Mug" in every sense of the word.

Ben D.
11-19-2012, 01:43 PM
He sucks. His tennis sucks. His personality is annoying more than Peak Sapeod.

Always a good day when this talentless scrub loses a match.

this, and Almagro is 1-19 vs top 4 players, its the worst top 20 and possible top 30 record.

Lestat
11-19-2012, 06:13 PM
MTFers hate everyne just some players less that others.

MuzzahLovah
11-19-2012, 08:35 PM
this, and Almagro is 1-19 vs top 4 players, its the worst top 20 and possible top 30 record.

omg who did he beat? don't tell me it was Murray :o

Certinfy
11-19-2012, 08:37 PM
omg who did he beat? don't tell me it was Murray :o
I'm not going to tell you it's Andy, but lets just say you're going to be disappointed when you find out. :o

MuzzahLovah
11-19-2012, 08:37 PM
mugro is a good guy.

i've come round to him since he's started tweeting. revealed a side to his personality I didn't know existed. intelligent, humble, sensitive and self-aware.

mtf hates him because mtf is full of hypocrite clowns who despise gamesmanship, just as long as it's not one of their favourites doing it.
He must have someone do his tweets for him :shrug:

MuzzahLovah
11-19-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm not going to tell you it's Andy, but lets just say you're going to be disappointed when you find out. :o
I did
At least it was clay 4 years ago but still :o

Nole fan
11-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Almagro has a nice game and seems a likeable character. I prefer him to Verdasco for instance.

Time Violation
11-19-2012, 11:51 PM

Worse than Troicki's? I refuse to believe :p

Edit: Just checked, Viktor is 3-43 vs top 10, top that! :lol:

uxyzapenje
11-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Hey, hey. Don't you pull this '1-19' crap! The guy has 1-31 vs the top5 (worse than Troicki) and 1-36 vs top5 + Tsonga (top6 until few weeks ago) (much worse that Troicki). :worship: :o

Berdych must hate Almugro bcs all the other top8 players make fun of him for losin 3 matches to Almugro (9-3 Berdych) :o

Edda
11-20-2012, 01:19 AM
Yes, Almagro isn't as bad as Verdasco. Verdasco should be called Piggy for his behavior of spitting on court.

martinatreue
11-21-2012, 09:34 AM
I hate Verdasco way more than Nico

Ben D.
11-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Worse than Troicki's? I refuse to believe :p

Edit: Just checked, Viktor is 3-43 vs top 10, top that! :lol:

:lol: too good

Nole Rules
12-30-2012, 01:21 AM
The guy seems to have great personality (well, from what's I've seen from him so far and accordding to Djokovic Nico has a great personality). It was very entertaining to see him joking around with Djokovic today. Puls the guy has very attractive game. He got a beautiful BH and his powerful game is a joy to watch yet he has very few fans and many haters. Why he has few fans compared to players like Raonic, Gasquet, Isner or Tipsy etc? :scratch: :confused: He probably have more haters than these guys too. :lol:

Some words from Djokovic on him:

"I tend to have a lot of fun when I play with Nico (Almagro) for some reason,” an elated Djokovic said after the final.

“He’s also a tennis player who’s charismatic and comes out on the court with a very strong and powerful game but also likes to have fun. So it was really nice and entertaining. We engaged the crowd in a way and I’m sure they appreciated it.”

His bending over to Ferrer and Nadal is a bit annoying though. :lol: That's maybe the main reason MTF hates him. :tape: :lol:

Game-wise, he is by far the most enjoyable spainsh player to watch for me. Wawrinka plays a similar game but he is way more liked and much less hated than him. If Almagro was a Swiss player, would he be liked as much as Stan? :scratch:

Pirata.
12-30-2012, 01:26 AM
www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=154139

emotion
12-30-2012, 01:29 AM
He's a nice guy but that huge choke

Nole Rules
12-30-2012, 01:31 AM
www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=154139

Thank God I missed that shitfest. :tape:

nick the greek
12-30-2012, 01:33 AM
I like Nico.He's a funny guy.Showed that at the couple of exhibitions he played with No1e.

TigerTim
12-30-2012, 01:34 AM
He also for example looked promising v Nadal at RG this year

And then lost like 7-6, 6-2, 6-1

Mark Lenders
12-30-2012, 02:00 AM
I agree that his game is very nice to watch, but take a look at this:

Djokovic - 0-3

Nadal - 0-8

Federer - 0-5

Murray - 1-3

Berdych - 3-9

Tsonga - 0-5 (0-3 on clay :lol:)

Ferrer - 0-12 :facepalm:

This is 4-45 against the current top 8 (he never faced Delpo). And he came close in quite a few of these matches, the problem is he's probably the mentally weakest player in the top 50. He has the potential to be a much bigger threat and plays great tennis when the pressure is off like today, but inevitably folds like a cheap tent against higher ranked players.

motorhead
12-30-2012, 03:37 AM
wasn't there an identical thread only with Wawrinka's name instead of Almagro?

n8
12-30-2012, 04:04 AM
I love watching Almagro play, even when he's choking he makes it look good:

PcGYhfeMEx4

Alex999
12-30-2012, 05:30 AM
MTF ia not too kind to anybody (well, Roger is fine, Nole is OK). Nadal, no matter what he does or doesn't do will be hated by MTF. Murray is surviving, still being hated tho. I wouldn't put too much into it when it comes to players like Almagro, Tipsy or so. as we all know they are all 'mugs' ;). Even if Almagro wins RG , MTF will not approve it and he'll be called a mug. :tape:

:)

addison
12-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Nico is a great player, a Davis Cup champion, a fantastic athlete, well-to-do and doing what he loves as a profession.

Unlike 99.999999% of MTF.

No doubt Mr. Almagro would prefer to win important tournaments before he retires from the ATP tour, since most professional athletes tend to play to win.

Juz78
12-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Almagro for me just has a look about him... an angry, conceited look. Some have said that he's a good bloke, most don't know him personally and just go on what they see on TV. Something about his face just rubs people the wrong way... superficial bunch we are.

retister
12-30-2012, 09:27 AM
His choking makes it impossible for me to really become a fan, even though he probably has the most aesthetically pleasing style of all active players, with just the perfect amount of aggression.
The hate stems from all those missed opportunities to beat top players.

Alex999
12-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Almagro is good. watched him against Nole today. sure it's exho, but oh boy, it was so much fun ... Nole still trying to play as if was the final of Wimbledon, but hey :). anybody interested, here is some highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJmVVzoQEIM

Hewitt =Legend
12-30-2012, 12:43 PM
People are jealous of his enormous head to body ratio.

latso
12-30-2012, 01:41 PM
His choking makes it impossible for me to really become a fan, even though he probably has the most aesthetically pleasing style of all active players, with just the perfect amount of aggression.
The hate stems from all those missed opportunities to beat top players.
I'll follow that.

Even at this exhib against Djokovic it was like obvious - whenever they were joking around and pressure was off - he was awesome.

Once he needed to serve to stay in the match and he goes *15-40, the crowd starts cheering for him and making enough noise for him to feel like in a competitive match...and there you go - FH in the middle of the net.

He's like the most predictable player out there when having to face pressure. He just always folds.

I do like the guy and his style, i rate high all players playing one handed BH overall, but as mentioned above - you can't become a fan of the guy folding under pressure everytime.

Even the hardcorest folder of them all Verdasco has his moments, but not Nico :(

tribalfusion
12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
I think it is really silly to dislike a guy because he chokes and loses (though Almagro has other issues which lead to some of those mental lapses too let's not forget).

A real fan can like a guy in spite of all that and Nico is a great player with some obvious limitations but so what? He is a great ball-striker and good fun to watch

Orka_n
12-30-2012, 06:32 PM
So many Nadaltards love Almagro and Verdasco. I wonder why that is.

Also, to those who think he is a nice guy, have you actually seen him play a competitive match? Guy can be as annoying as they come with his attempted staredowns and his cocky attitude.

tribalfusion
12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
So many Nadaltards love Almagro and Verdasco. I wonder why that is.

Also, to those who think he is a nice guy, have you actually seen him play a competitive match? Guy can be as annoying as they come with his attempted staredowns and his cocky attitude.

He's no different than Soderling in a lot of respects. You just don't like one and like the other for various reasons having little to do with tennis.

Nole fan
12-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Almagro is really great and he could crack the top 10 really soon. He just needs to change his mentality, but he's one of the most aggressive players and his serve is a major weapon, when he makes that change he could get into Ferrer's shoes. Fan of the guy.

Corey Feldman
12-30-2012, 08:45 PM
what is to like about him?

obnoxious, way he wins a game and throws the ball up in the air while glaring at his opponent, thinks he's some 20 time GS champion the way he acts

Safin warned us all about this guy in Valencia in 2006 and big Marat is never a wrong judge of character.

BackhandDTL
12-30-2012, 09:29 PM
^ Indeed. He has been denied a handshake by more than one top player. That says it all.

Brick Top
12-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Almagro is a cool guy with a cute game! Why would anyone hate that fellow?

TigerTim
12-30-2012, 10:33 PM
what is to like about him?

obnoxious, way he wins a game and throws the ball up in the air while glaring at his opponent, thinks he's some 20 time GS champion the way he acts

Safin warned us all about this guy in Valencia in 2006 and big Marat is never a wrong judge of character.

I wouldn't listen to Safin. His story to me was along the lines of "how to piss away your extreme talent and regret this for life".

^ Indeed. He has been denied a handshake by more than one top player. That says it all.

Berdych is not the best judge of character. If he was a Harry Potter character he would be Belatrix Lestrange. Undoubted talent, but the personality of a SS warden.

fran70
12-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Ignorance

Orka_n
12-30-2012, 11:45 PM
He's no different than Soderling in a lot of respects. You just don't like one and like the other for various reasons having little to do with tennis.:haha: You got me all figured out, do you clown. Send me another pointless badrep again would ya.
Soderling does not care much for making friends on the tour but since RG 2009 he has behaved like a professional on court - but even before that he never tried to intimidate the opponent like Mugro does. Unpleasant attitude, ill timed Vamoses, ugly ass stare... he's incomparable to Soderling.

tribalfusion
12-31-2012, 12:26 AM
:haha: You got me all figured out, do you clown. Send me another pointless badrep again would ya.
Soderling does not care much for making friends on the tour but since RG 2009 he has behaved like a professional on court - but even before that he never tried to intimidate the opponent like Mugro does. Unpleasant attitude, ill timed Vamoses, ugly ass stare... he's incomparable to Soderling.

The fan who always has an ad hoc (and patently partisan) answer of course. Soderling stared down lots of guys and anyone who watched tennis saw it many times along with his unusual attitude and circling marks meters away from the bounce causing French commentators to call him "criminal" and laugh on camera.

I'm fine with that and even found it amusing at times but let's not pretend it didn't happen just because you like him and make believe that Nico is some outlaw because you don't.

Maybe if you prefer the "Swedish road to intimidation" vs the Spanish variant you can get all self-righteous but unsurprisingly you're as clueless as ever when it comes to the real world.

Orka_n
12-31-2012, 12:51 AM
The fan who always has an ad hoc (and patently partisan) answer of course. Soderling stared down lots of guys and anyone who watched tennis saw it many times along with his unusual attitude and circling marks meters away from the bounce causing French commentators to call him "criminal" and laugh on camera.

I'm fine with that and even found it amusing at times but let's not pretend it didn't happen just because you like him and make believe that Nico is some outlaw because you don't.

Maybe if you prefer the "Swedish road to intimidation" vs the Spanish variant you can get all self-righteous but unsurprisingly you're as clueless as ever when it comes to the real world.Would you stop talking shit already. Who said Mugro was an outlaw. This thread is about what reasons there can be for disliking Almagro and I simply layed down the most obvious ones. Don't know what you are on about. "The real world"? Bring on more nonsensical clichés.

And I never said Soderling was a saint, he has behaved badly on court - but most of his tantrums was him being angry at himself. He also has obviously made mistakes with ballmarks. That still that does not make him similar to Almagro, which is what I said above. Now stop putting words in my mouth, because you actually don't understand me at all.

FlameOn
12-31-2012, 01:08 AM
He's a great player to watch for talent :shrug:, plus he had this to say about gays on tour (he supports it), so he's not all bad in my book :angel:.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/h9glct

Yolita
12-31-2012, 01:47 AM
He's a great player to watch for talent :shrug:, plus he had this to say about gays on tour (he supports it), so he's not all bad in my book :angel:.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/h9glct

That doesn't surprise me. He wrote a blog and I could tell he's thoughtful and sensitive.

He has great talent and his is a very entertaining and exciting type of tennis to watch, when he's on. The way he played in Abu Dhabi against Novak was amazing.

But he also has a great sense of humour. He did an exho with Nole in China and people loved them: I had never seen him smile so much. In Abu Dhabi he had smiles, winks, jokes, and great tennis.

When he came to Acapulco he was extremely nice to the kids. There was a mini-court for kids to play with giant racquets and he spent a long time teaching them, making faces to make them laugh, playing with them. Very nice. He's all right. :)

samanosuke
06-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Really wondering myself right now how somebody could hate him :haha: :haha:

MariaV
06-02-2013, 03:44 PM
LOL samano, I don't hate him but I don't particularly like him either. And still prefer to call him Almugro, it's just soooo fitting. Hope that won't get me banned. :o :angel:

Lugburz
06-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Almagro can play tennis.

I couldn't care less what MTF thinks of certain player lol
They know him personally?

Not to mention how many posters here are contradictory.

OriginalNameGuy
06-02-2013, 03:47 PM
I hate when he has an easy put away volley or smash and he hits it at his opponent instead of the open court.:o

Nothing wrong with his game, but you have to scratch your head at some of his tactics.

alioth
06-02-2013, 03:49 PM
i used to hate him for no reason, but now i like him. Great player he is.

samanosuke
06-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Any player who is bored on the court with comfortable lead should get his racket to Almagro for few games and he'll be uncomfortable with loss in record amount of time

abraxas21
06-02-2013, 03:51 PM
almagro is an awesome player to watch. no homo

gaitare
06-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Just about my favourite player right now. Great shotmaker, a nice and, what is immensely adorable, honest person. Such a complex character as well, most players can only dream of such multidimensionality.

Unforced Terror
06-02-2013, 04:00 PM
I don't understand either. I thought his fiery personality should make him more likable to MTF :confused: Also, few people can consistently bullet both the FH and BH like he can.

I'm so thankful for this epic match, because after this, less people will disrespect both Almagro and Robredo

tribalfusion
06-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Almagro is awesome and waaaay underrated. Sure he has his weaknesses (mostly his own head and somewhat his movement) but he is a great ballstriker and server when he is on.

Time2burn
06-02-2013, 04:11 PM
i hate almugro because i because i believed in him and bet on him to beat ferrer even when he had a pathetic h2h record against david and he broke my heart that was tough to watch someone u believed in do one of the biggest chokes ive ever seen

GSMnadal
06-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Let's hope MTF mods are lenient on posters using the 'Almugro' nickname, because surely it's justified after a performance like this.

Almagro surely can't live with himself after doing it again.

LaFuria
06-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Because he loses to the likes of Boredo despite having far more talent. His game might be fun to watch, but his epic meltdown are only unintentionally hilarious.

Every time I show a little faith in Almagro he manages to crush it.

Time2burn
06-02-2013, 04:15 PM
another trade mark choke job again congratz almugro got to hand it to him hes so consistant