Can Gille Simon get back into the top 8? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can Gille Simon get back into the top 8?

DorianGray7
01-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Simon just showed his quality today and has shown constantly that he gives Federer as much trouble as Nadal does giving him the rank of "Fed-killer"

Simon was at one point No. 6 in the world. Can he once again be the top-ranked frog inside the top 8 and play in the World Tour Finals?

His attacking style and incredible defense is solid and possibly more complete than other frogs like Monfils or Tsonga.

ApproachShot
01-19-2011, 01:28 PM
He's certainly made a very positive start to 2011. I hope he is healthy and is able to sustain this momentum - if so, he has a real chance to qualify for the World Tour Finals. Nonetheless, 11 months is a long time, and there will no doubt be hiccups along the way. I'm sure we will get a clearer indication by the middle of the year.

dombrfc
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Learn what his name is first.

FlameOn
01-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Yes I believe he can. I think first being top 20 again should be his first goal.

rafaholic
01-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Learn what his name is first.

:worship:

Silver.
01-19-2011, 02:10 PM
If he stays injury free (touchwood) I believe he has a chance :) He's in great form at the moment, however his serve needs a lot of improvement.

Blackbriar
01-19-2011, 02:50 PM
His main problem is clay where he is not a top player. Grass is 4 weeks, it doesnt matter. But he will gain a LOT of points until grass, remember he was injured until june last year.

Orka_n
01-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes, his serve is really his problem. Otherwise he is a fairly complete players without obvious flaws. (Except maybe against someone who can use the drop shot well. He is often far behind the baseline after all.)

Sham Kay
01-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Top 15 seems a given at the moment. Not sure he'll break the top ten again though.

henke007
01-19-2011, 04:42 PM
No he won't, but top 15 maybe.

Nadull_tard
01-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Yes, he will be the new GOAT.

Matt01
01-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Answer: Yes, he can, as shown today.

Allez
01-19-2011, 06:25 PM
There is at least one player in the top 10 who will be hoping for this :devil: Personally I think at the moment he is more than good enough to be in the top 20. However it is going to take a little more than owning Fed for him to push forward into the elite top 10...

romismak
01-19-2011, 06:57 PM
I think not. He can´t. He is right now 34th in ranking. He reached here in Melbourne just 2nd round- what is a pitty, because is obvious that in his form he deserved to be in 3rd round- 32 best or even in 4th round. So he will probably fell even lower after this AO. With his ranking position beeing somewhere about top 40 or 35 before Masters in IW and Miami he has not big chances to gain points there, than clay court season and so on. I think he can be at the end of the year in top 20 , even 15, but top 10 not and top 8 for sure not. Maybe next season if he play good but right now there are far better players. Top 5 is obviously another level and then many guys from Berdych at 6th place to 21th Nalbandian are pretty good and dont´forget that Simon is not only one who wants to be higher in ranking- Del Potro or Davydenko also want to go higher and I am much more fort Del Potro and Davydenko that those 2 will end in top 8 rather than Simon. So definetely i think there is no chance for Simon be in top 8 to end of the year 2011.

DrJules
01-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Yes.

However, like Tsonga he has been plagued by injury.

An improved serve and net game would help.

simplet
01-19-2011, 07:16 PM
I think not. He can´t. He is right now 34th in ranking. He reached here in Melbourne just 2nd round- what is a pitty, because is obvious that in his form he deserved to be in 3rd round- 32 best or even in 4th round. So he will probably fell even lower after this AO. With his ranking position beeing somewhere about top 40 or 35 before Masters in IW and Miami he has not big chances to gain points there, than clay court season and so on. I think he can be at the end of the year in top 20 , even 15, but top 10 not and top 8 for sure not. Maybe next season if he play good but right now there are far better players. Top 5 is obviously another level and then many guys from Berdych at 6th place to 21th Nalbandian are pretty good and dont´forget that Simon is not only one who wants to be higher in ranking- Del Potro or Davydenko also want to go higher and I am much more fort Del Potro and Davydenko that those 2 will end in top 8 rather than Simon. So definetely i think there is no chance for Simon be in top 8 to end of the year 2011.

He didn't even play AO last year, was injured pretty much all the way up to Wimbledon. He can only gain points.

If he could somehow find a serve again, he'd be a complete lock for top 15/20. Will need to see if he can be consistent again for more than that.

superganon
01-19-2011, 10:01 PM
injury free= consistency. i think he might not get top 10 but not far behind.