Can a player challenge a line call favourable to them? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can a player challenge a line call favourable to them?

01-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Say a player was a good sport, saw a ball he hit or was returned to him or her, saw that it clearly went out (maybe it was right next to them), but the chair and line judges didnt call it, and the opponenet failed to challenge or had no challenges left, in the ultimate act of good sportsmanship, could a player challenge a call on behalf of the other player? In other words their challenge, but challenging it because they know it went out and want to be fair?

I know it sounds rediculous but say it was a match that player was already winning 6-1 6-0 5-4 or something and just wanted to for the hell of it, or to give the other player a break, making sure they got everything that was coming to them?

Weve seen good sporting players be honest in admiting or giving their opinion balls were in our out in the past, I dont think ive ever seen this done.

Technically, would it be permitted? Great way to win over a crowd id think.

ApproachShot
01-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Murray almost did...

3NhZbgx1vOg

Goldenoldie
01-19-2011, 08:37 AM
A more realistic version of this scenario would be:-
Player A hits a first serve which is called "in".
Player B returns for a clean winner.
Can Player A challenge the call on his serve in the hope that it is called "out" and he gets a second serve?

VIPer7
01-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Bob Bryan did it in the US Open 2010 Mixed final. His first serve was in and he couldn't reach the return, and he challenged his own serve and wanted a second serve (instead of the lost point)

His serve WAS in btw :P

solowyn
01-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Roddick challenged his own serve against Monfils recently too. Didn't play the return, challenged his serve which was indeed out and got to play the second serve.

orangehat
01-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Can Player A challenge the call on his serve in the hope that it is called "out" and he gets a second serve?

This has been done many times before but so far i've never seen one where it worked :p

All of the serves WERE in :rolls:

solowyn
01-19-2011, 08:53 AM
0JDWxn6q-zc

01-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Your not that good to be that cocky :lol:

I was more thinking of opponent hits a return to you that hits the baseline, you dont return it, its called out, can you challenge it in as an act of good sportsmanship?

n8
01-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Yep. Robredo did it once in Australia. The serve was in though :(.

To answer the thread, you are allowed to do it (but it may vary depending on the umpire).

MariaV
01-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Say a player was a good sport, saw a ball he hit or was returned to him or her, saw that it clearly went out (maybe it was right next to them), but the chair and line judges didnt call it, and the opponenet failed to challenge or had no challenges left, in the ultimate act of good sportsmanship, could a player challenge a call on behalf of the other player? In other words their challenge, but challenging it because they know it went out and want to be fair?

I know it sounds rediculous but say it was a match that player was already winning 6-1 6-0 5-4 or something and just wanted to for the hell of it, or to give the other player a break, making sure they got everything that was coming to them?

Weve seen good sporting players be honest in admiting or giving their opinion balls were in our out in the past, I dont think ive ever seen this done.

Technically, would it be permitted? Great way to win over a crowd id think.

For Christ's sake 2003, a player can always concede a point, and believe it or not, players have done it in the past, even before the hawkeye. :help: :help: :help: No need for such antics. And no need for you to make threads every day. :)

Raquel
01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Something similar to this almost happened in Baltacha v Henin. Henin hit a serve which Baltacha hit for a clean winner just as the serve was called out. Even though the ball was called out for Henin, I thought Baltacha might have thought about going to challenge it for her, since her return was a clean winner :)

abraxas21
01-19-2011, 06:21 PM

this has happened actually.

don't rememeber the players or the tourney but I recall very clearly this situation you're describing.

prafull
01-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Another scenario.

Player A hits a shot which is right, linesman call it out. Player B also knows that ball was pretty close. Player A has no challenges left. Player B shows his good gesture and challenges the call for the sake of player A.

Happened yet?

_Chaz
01-19-2011, 07:09 PM
this has happened actually.

don't rememeber the players or the tourney but I recall very clearly this situation you're describing.

Melzer for example did that against Ferrero @ USO 2010.

aloniv
01-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Melzer just did it now in his 3rd round against Baghdatis. He tried to serve and volley, but when he missed the volley he challenged his own serve (which turned out to be out).

tjohansson
01-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Norman V Grosjean in a grand slam 2001.

Har-Tru
01-22-2011, 11:56 AM
The situation Goldenoldie describes has happened many times indeed and yes sometimes the serve was out and the server got a 2nd serve.