AO R1: Del Potro def. Sela 7-6(13) 6-4 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AO R1: Del Potro def. Sela 7-6(13) 6-4 6-4

Arkulari
01-18-2011, 05:15 AM
Amazing TB from Juan as usual, he got broken when serving for the the second set but apart from that he was the better player in the big points :yeah:

Of course this ain't the player who won the US Open but it gives hope that he's getting better and back to his best :woohoo:

http://i55.tinypic.com/10clvzl.jpg

scoobs
01-18-2011, 05:18 AM
Well he got it done, now we need to see signs of the fitness and the form starting to tighten up.

Sela had some chances to extend this match, couldn't quite get it done, that first set was crucial to his chances of sowing seeds of doubt in JMDP's mind but JMDP was just a bit more clutch in that hot mess of a tiebreak.

finishingmove
01-18-2011, 05:18 AM
haven't seen a muggier tiebreak in quite some time :yeah:

straitup
01-18-2011, 05:19 AM
Crazy TB, but that helped him build some momentum. Dudi was tough but couldn't capitalize on chances as much.

Could be a tough test against Baghdatis (if he gets through)

rubbERR
01-18-2011, 05:19 AM
ubber forehands

The Freak
01-18-2011, 05:21 AM
Del Potro hits the ball soooo hard, it's scary. Good to see him playing again.

Satasonic
01-18-2011, 05:21 AM
The tie break was immense, I thought that Sela would take it. Del Potro was just too strong on the bigger points of the much. Also, in the end Potro celebrated as if he triple bageled Nadal or Federer :lol:

KarlyM
01-18-2011, 05:22 AM
It's a win, I'll take it. :yeah:

juan77
01-18-2011, 05:22 AM
Vamos Delpo! May the force be with you!

scoobs
01-18-2011, 05:23 AM
The tie break was immense, I thought that Sela would take it. Del Potro was just too strong on the bigger points of the much. Also, in the end Potro celebrated as if he triple bageled Nadal or Federer :lol:
First slam win for him in a year, I think he's entitled to feel a bit emotional, he's had a hellish time since he won his first slam.

Mechlan
01-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Good win for Del Potro. He gutted that first tie-break out, had some ups and downs, but this match will certainly help his confidence. Good for him.

Voo de Mar
01-18-2011, 05:25 AM
The third longest tie-break in the Australian Open history, probably will stay as the longest in careers of both players.

shiaben
01-18-2011, 05:26 AM
Dudi relied too much on accuracy. Needed to go for more winners AND heavier hits. Can't rely too heavily on accuracy against advanced players like Del Potro.

Del Potro will get better with time. Hopefully his body can last and won't remain injury prone. I hope it was a 1x deal.

ExcaliburII
01-18-2011, 05:28 AM
Would to see he is not scared like all the Argie press said for this past year :yeah:

swisht4u
01-18-2011, 05:38 AM
Good match for Del Potro to get through. It was long enough and not easy. Some glimpses of the old self but some junk in there too.

Sela played a pretty decent match, I'm not familiar with him too much but he was tough and worked through the whole match.

Now to see if Juan will be rested enough to be in good shape the next round.

Guy Haines
01-18-2011, 05:45 AM
A win is a win.

Hewitt =Legend
01-18-2011, 05:46 AM
The third longest tie-break in the Australian Open history, probably will stay as the longest in careers of both players.

Was Roddick/Tsonga the longest?

Voo de Mar
01-18-2011, 05:50 AM
Was Roddick/Tsonga the longest?

Yup, 20-18, the 2nd longest 17-15 Camporese vs. Wahlgren (1992)

Pirata.
01-18-2011, 05:52 AM
Great job, Juan :yeah:

Thought he was out of that first set TB, but he pulled on his champion's mindset to pull it out. Every match is helping his fitness and soon he'll be back to the top player we all know he can be!

FormerRafaFan
01-18-2011, 06:03 AM
He'll probably win a couple of matches in AO. I'm not expecting more because he just came back from injury..

Anyway, glad to see he won the fist match at least. looked like he played well too. This is what he needs, match practice. Vamos:yeah:

Orka_n
01-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Good for the game.

coonster14
01-18-2011, 06:33 AM
So happy for Delpo that he managed to tough it out in the first set TB, that will do his confidence some good, and to get a straight sets win is a nice bonus.

Looking forward to Delpo vs Baghdatis (if he gets through Zemlja) R2, two of my favourites. :D

GSMnadal
01-18-2011, 06:40 AM
Good to see Del Potro is on his way back. Will get crushed the next round by Baghdatis though.

Laba
01-18-2011, 06:49 AM
Another tough tiebreak for Pony on his comeback trail. Good for him to get through his first round, hope his form improves and he can put on a good showing for himself.

*Jean*
01-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Dudi :sad: :sobbing: that first set tie-break made it all :hug:

Beat
01-18-2011, 07:49 AM
thank god! :D

philosophicalarf
01-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Sela has some sublime game when he can be bothered. That shanked backhand at the net to take the tiebreak though, just awful.

rubbERR
01-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Sela has some sublime game when he can be bothered. That shanked backhand at the net to take the tiebreak though, just awful.

like it was tie-break only crappy point, lol to you son

Jade Fox
01-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Good win for Delpo. Hope he's ready for Baghdatis cause that one won't be easy either.

blank_frackis
01-18-2011, 10:15 AM
If he can get through the next round then that's a success in my book. You can't expect him to beat Melzer after such a long layoff. Even if he loses in the next round then winning this match is something to build on.

ShotmaKer
01-18-2011, 10:55 AM
If somebody could post the highlight reels for this match, would be much obliged.

ShotmaKer
01-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Nevermind. This is the breaker.

HQaarNq2Cxw

xLLmc1ZsqBE

Yazoo.C
01-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Well done Delpo!

The Magician
01-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Felt kind of bad for Sela, who was David against Goliath literally :p Good result for the game though, the sooner Del Po gets back into the mix the sooner GS draws will actually have some compelling stories instead of just going according to seeding and then a mug final.

tennishero
01-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Sela played really well, props to Delpo for taking the 1st set.

Ibracadabra
01-18-2011, 01:34 PM
All about the W at this stage of the comeback.

alfonsojose
01-18-2011, 01:40 PM
:yeah: Delpo has always been a hard hitter but he got a bit desperate in the TB just hitting the ball as hard as he could, in WTA mode. Ans he doesn't come to the net to take advantage of the done damage, so Sela could hit back. And hitting against Dudi's bakchand :smash: quite a shot. But still very, very happy for him.

alfonsojose
01-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Good to see Del Potro is on his way back. Will get crushed the next round by Baghdatis though.

Marcos had a really long match, who knows :unsure:

mystic ice cube
01-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Del Potro looked sharp in places. The further he continues on in this tournament the better it will be for his game.

ossie
01-18-2011, 03:22 PM
juan martin! :worship:

vn01
01-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Vamos!!! I watched till 4-2 in the 2nd set, but Del Potro played really well. I didn't expect to see him winning in 3 this match. It's something to build on, I suppose and I think that he may beat Baghdatis.

Sooooo happy for Delpo. VAMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!!! :D

yonexforever
01-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Expect Marcos to play possum and keep Del Po out there for quite a while.. he is also probably hoping for sun/heat!

Nole fan
01-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Quite an endearing piece of Bodo on Delpo...

Big Blue

Delpo by Pete Bodo

Can a first-set tiebreaker determine the course of a match? A tournament? A year? A career? Such questions are tempting on the heels of Juan Martin del Potro's first-round win at the Australian Open yesterday, and while we'd better leave the latter three of those questions alone, it seems pretty obvious that Delpo's 7-6 (15-13) first set against a game Dudi Sela deflated the loser and boosted Delpo's confidence, enabling him to roll through the next two sets tidily: 6-4, 6-4.

U.S. readers may understand and even smile at the thought of calling del Potro Big Blue, that sobriquet having been on lease to the New York Football Giants for decades now. But the cognomen isn't apt merely because Delpo is big (6-6) and perpetually seems to be dressed in blue or some shade thereof. He also plays a brand of tennis comparable to the style of football that earned the Giants the "Big Blue" acknowledgment. It's essentially smash-mouth football, or tennis, and Delpo was a master of it until last year at this time, when a wrist injury during this same tournament forced him into what would ultimately become a full year off.

Which brings us to a few more "big" and "blue" themes. When del Potro first burst upon our radar in 2008, it was in a big way. Although he won his first ATP tour title in Adelaide in 2007 and ultimately ended up the youngest player in the Top 50 (he was just a shade over 19) for the year, he simply blew up halfway through the following year.

In the summer of 2008, he won titles on clay in Stuttgart and Kitzbuhel and, without missing a beat, moved to hard courts and bagged the championships at Los Angeles and Washington D.C. In one of those hard court events, he accomplished something of which few players are capable: He overpowered Andy Roddick. There are a fair number of ways to beat Roddick, but blasting through him isn't usually one of them.

Delpo's streak continued, against all odds and, to some degree, contrary to all we thought we knew about how tough it is to excel on successive days and in consecutive events during the debilitating dog days of July and August, before a body wilts. The run finally ended at the U.S. Open, where Andy Murray throttled Delpo in the quarterfinals.

By then, we'd noticed a few other things about the surprisingly quick and unexpectedly durable native of Tandil, Argentina. His demeanor and the image he projected were those not just of a gentle, slump-shouldered giant, but one whose undemonstrative personality hinted at a touch of depression. He often seemed blue. He'd told us that were he not a tennis player, he would have pursued a career in architecture, a revelation that was both refreshing (imagine that, a tennis player who didn't suspect that down deep he's another Ronaldo!) and understandable, given that an architect can spend much time dreamily locked within his own mind, building fabulous things.

Still, Delpo is more Harold Solomon than Harold Roark, so it was not exactly surprising when, his wrist injury having become a much bigger issue than first thought, reports circulated last year that Delpo was suffering from anxiety and perhaps even bouts of depression.

What could we expect? One moment, the guy is pounding Roger Federer into oblivion in the U.S. Open final (2009), the next he's back home in Tandil, unable to swing a racket. Not only did Delpo miss a chance to defend his first major, he didn't even get a chance to win or lose in one following his moment of triumph. He had plenty of reason to be blue. In his press conference yesterday, he said: "I had a very bad year. For three or four months nobody knows about my wrist. I think that's a bad thing for my mind."

Del Potro returned to competition late last year and, after playing poorly and losing two first-rounders in Asia, pulled the plug on 2010. He went back to the drawing board after a humiliating 6-3, 6-0 loss to Feliciano Lopez in Tokyo. In his first match of this new year, he battered that same opponent through three grueling hours in Sydney before finally punching through, winning two of three tiebreakers. That win took a lot out of him (Delpo would lose his next match in desultory fashion to Florian Mayer), but it turned out those three 'breakers were good practice for Sela. When they reached 6-all in that first-set tiebreaker (with Sela wiping away a set point with a service winner), they were less than halfway to the point of resolution.

The tiebreaker is an interesting and daunting challenge for a player who isn't in peak competitive form, and there's no way a pro can get into that degree of shape simply through practice. The sparring partner could be Rafael Nadal or Federer, it doesn't matter. The synapses fire and the nerves sing in entirely different ways when it really counts, and both players know it.

So Delpo's ability to win a tiebreaker against a tricky, sometimes Santoro-esque rival, after having been down five set points was, in its own right, a herculean achievement that probably earned a much larger return than is usually warranted from such a brief investment of time and energy. The moment he cracked that giant forehand crosscourt winner, you could almost see Delpo issue an enormous sigh of relief and hear him think: I can do this, I really can!

What I liked about Delpo's game was that he continued to hit -- or tried to hit -- a big ball, even when he was in a tight jam. At times he didn't get adequate depth on his groundstrokes, which is critically important for him and a virtue that played the major role in his upset of Federer in the 2009 U.S. Open final. You can pin that down to nerves and the inhibitions bred by lack of exposure to stress.

At other times, Delpo appeared somewhat sluggish, which could not have been attributed to his degree of fitness, despite Delpo having confessed that he wasn't in ideal shape when he tried to make his original comeback last fall. So the sleepy quality had to be nerves again, and/or a lack of that instant response reaction that comes from competitive seasoning. Even a naturally quick player can appear slow or flat-footed when he's not utterly, neurologically immersed in a match.

But the important thing is that Delpo endured; he struggled, hung in there, sloughed off the pressure when Sela held set points, kept his frustration and concentration in check when he blew opportunities of his own (none of them in a way that might induce a roll of the eyes, unusual in a tiebreaker featuring a total of nine set points), and he got plenty of stick on the ball on some critical occasions, including the set-ender.

Delpo's game and career are presently like one of those giant 1,000 piece puzzles. You know from the box what the completed picture is meant to look like, but it's hard to get started, to find among those thousand pieces a few that can be identified as part of this or that portion of the landscape and fit together. Delpo isn't expecting miracles, even if some of his fans are. As he said, "I know the way to win matches. I just need time to do it."

Yesterday, it seeemed, Delpo found a few of those pieces and began to put the puzzle together. I think the pieces he found were from the top of the puzzle, pieces of a big, blue sky.

Ilovetheblues_86
01-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Wow tell about being a good writer. :yeah:

Nole fan
01-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Del Potro:

"Today I play good tennis again. But I’m really enjoying this week. I met with all the players, especially the Top 10 players. They support me when I was very bad. So now I face to face with them and I say thank you…I feel in good shape again. I work very hard with my physical trainer. I need time to play harder and to play stronger. But just I need time. Sometimes some balls I play, I hit very, very far, and sometimes not. But with time and with training and with focus in every practice, I will take again.”

PoorMan'sDavy
01-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Good win -- great to see DelPo crushing the forehand again.

Allez
01-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I really enjoyed the match. One gets thrill bumps watching Del Potro unleash his power. Dudi, at least in the 1st set, was up to the task. I was amazed at the ease with which he handled some of that amazing Potro Power. Of course if Potro used his power as leverage to get into the forecourt and finish points off there would have been no contest. The coming US Open is going to be a very interesting tournament. For selfish reasons I hope he takes Baggy out so I can continue...uhm...almost used a dirty phrase there :lol: ...enjoying Potro's brand of power tennis :yeah:

Sapeod
01-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Del Potro:

"Today I play good tennis again. But I’m really enjoying this week. I met with all the players, especially the Top 10 players. They support me when I was very bad. So now I face to face with them and I say thank you…I feel in good shape again. I work very hard with my physical trainer. I need time to play harder and to play stronger. But just I need time. Sometimes some balls I play, I hit very, very far, and sometimes not. But with time and with training and with focus in every practice, I will take again.”
He should be back to top 20 form soon enough.
Can't see him being a threat for slams for a while, though.

Dr.Slice
01-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Good luck to Delpo in next round, great to see him back.

Getta
01-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Wow tell about being a good writer. :yeah:

modern tennis fans are giving him something he can feel to prolong the endearing touch of his tales.