Andy's 2011 - If you fall, say you'll fall for Andy [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy's 2011 - If you fall, say you'll fall for Andy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

scoobs
01-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Andy's playing Hopman Cup this week with Laura.

Gets underway overnight against Italy

Laura takes on Schiavone and then Andy's due out not before 3am GMT against Starace.

scoobs
01-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Schiavone d. Robson 75 63
Murray d. Starace 75 61
Starace/Schiavone d. Murray/Robson 67 76 10-2

Not quite the start I would have liked, but meh, it's Hopman Cup :)

MsTree
01-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I managed to wake up for most of the 1st set before falling asleep again :lol: He looked OK in his singles, but I got the feeling they gave up towards the end of the doubles - was just leaving for work then so wasn't giving him my full attention. Hopefully they'll win their next tie :)

Jade Fox
01-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Hey where is everybody? This forum's like Deader than Disco.

To keep things on topic, Andy's form is a bit up and down today and he looks totally annoyed with himself. Good thing Hopman Cup doesn't actually count.

MsTree
01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Just watching the delayed coverage - that point with Nico jumping the net was adorable :hearts:

Shame Laura won't get her diamonds this year either :lol:

scoobs
01-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I think Andy's playing himself into form and the conditions, so I'm not too fussed - he's getting it done, if not by the most efficient route.

It's strange - the performances this year are what I might have expected last year and vice versa - they've gone backwards :)

Jade Fox
01-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Just watching the delayed coverage - that point with Nico jumping the net was adorable :hearts:

Shame Laura won't get her diamonds this year either :lol:

She could've helped Andy out by winning one of her matches you know. So really, it's her fault.:lol:

I think Andy's playing himself into form and the conditions, so I'm not too fussed - he's getting it done, if not by the most efficient route.

It's strange - the performances this year are what I might have expected last year and vice versa - they've gone backwards :)

Well I hope it's not a sign of things to come. But Hopman Cup isn't really much of an indicator of who wins the Australian Open anyways so I'm not fussed either.

scoobs
01-06-2011, 12:46 PM
I am mentally preparing myself for the worst with Andy though at the Aussie - I wouldn't be surprised to see a very early loss, depending on how the draw pans out. He's been very inconsistent in Melbourne.

MsTree
01-06-2011, 06:03 PM
She could've helped Andy out by winning one of her matches you know. So really, it's her fault.:lol:

Last year he dragged her through the mixed, she didn't need to win any of her matches :lol:

I do like the Hopman Cup though, it's an interesting tourney, I'm glad they played it again despite going backwards :p

scoobs
01-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Andy is not entered into Kooyong but does intend to play a match or two there this coming week as final tune-up for Melbourne.

Jade Fox
01-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Last year he dragged her through the mixed, she didn't need to win any of her matches :lol:

I do like the Hopman Cup though, it's an interesting tourney, I'm glad they played it again despite going backwards :p

I guess this year they can both take the blame for the lack of diamonds. :lol:

Andy is not entered into Kooyong but does intend to play a match or two there this coming week as final tune-up for Melbourne.

Thanks for the info Chris! Kooyong used to be the place to go for many top players.

Yazoo.C
01-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Andy moves down to No.5 because Soderling won Brisbane. That also means he will be seeded 5th at the AO and there is a chance he could face Fed or Rafa in the quarters. :tears:

Hopefully he gets a good draw.

scoobs
01-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Same thing happened last year with Del Potro.

I still have an ominous feeling about Andy's chances this year - I'm bracing myself for the worst result.

MsTree
01-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Andy's playing Cilic on Thursday in Kooyong. Hope there's a stream!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9356759.stm

Yazoo.C
01-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Andy can't play Kooyong anymore because of rain :(

British number one Andy Murray's hopes of playing a final warm-up match before the Australian Open appear to have been scuppered by heavy rain in Melbourne.

Murray was due to play an exhibition against Marin Cilic, the man he beat in last year's Australian Open semi-final, at the Kooyong Classic on Thursday.

However, rain wiped out Wednesday's play, wrecking the four-day event.

Tournament director Colin Stubs said: "Precedence has to go to the matches of players who signed up. Andy didn't."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9356759.stm

scoobs
01-13-2011, 11:53 PM
In Melbourne, Andy in the top half, second quarter, slated to meet Soderling in QF, Nadal in SF

[4] Soderling vs Starace
Q vs Q
Istomin vs Q
Mello vs [30] Bellucci

[24] Gulbis vs Becker
Dolgopolov vs Kukushkin
Seppi vs Clement
Petzschner vs [13] Tsonga

[11] Melzer vs Q
Ball vs Riba
Sela vs Del Potro
Q vs [21] Baghdatis

[32] Garcia-Lopez vs Berrer
Schwank vs Mayer
Marchenko vs Ramirez Hidalgo
Beck vs [5] Murray

scoobs
01-13-2011, 11:57 PM
There's a lot of tough players but most are in the other half of that quarter to him

R1: Beck
R2: Marchenko / Ramirez-Hidalgo
R3: Garcia-Lopez / Schwank / Berrer / Mayer
R4: Baghdatis / Del Potro / Melzer

It looks okay up until R4 then it starts to get tricky, especially if Marcos or JMDP get back to form. Then potentially Soderling in the QFs to make a date with Nadal.

scoobs
01-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Andy also announced he will be participating in Sunday's Rally for Relief charity event in aid of the Aussie flooding disaster - nice to see him getting involved in this one.

hahayoyo
01-14-2011, 12:23 AM
anyone here got the ticket for Rally for Relief? i tried to book online but it looks like tickets have been sold out.

Jade Fox
01-14-2011, 10:45 AM
In Melbourne, Andy in the top half, second quarter, slated to meet Soderling in QF, Nadal in SF

[4] Soderling vs Starace
Q vs Q
Istomin vs Q
Mello vs [30] Bellucci

[24] Gulbis vs Becker
Dolgopolov vs Kukushkin
Seppi vs Clement
Petzschner vs [13] Tsonga

[11] Melzer vs Q
Ball vs Riba
Sela vs Del Potro
Q vs [21] Baghdatis

[32] Garcia-Lopez vs Berrer
Schwank vs Mayer
Marchenko vs Ramirez Hidalgo
Beck vs [5] Murray

This is as good of a draw he's gonna get really. One match at a time though so let's just focus on the first round.

Yazoo.C
01-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Not a bad draw for Andy. :)

Could have been a lot worse.

Sapeod
01-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Road to the final.

Beck = piece of cake.
Marchenko = piece of cake.
Garcia-Lopez = quite tough.
Melzer = tough.
Soderling = very tough.
Nadal? = tough.
Federer? = very tough.

Andi-M
01-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Excited for AO, but in my heart I dont think Andy has a chance I dont know why, probably because he hasn't got himself the high profile coach as promised post USO and I'm struggling to see what has changed.

Still I wish him all the best as always :D
Good luck Andy !!

Yazoo.C
01-15-2011, 04:47 PM
G_Eab5XV3CI

scoobs
01-16-2011, 04:27 AM
Andy's match against Beck will be on Tuesday, court and time tbc.

MsTree
01-17-2011, 05:44 PM
4.10am the BBC think :) Come on!!! :D

scoobs
01-18-2011, 03:14 AM
They were pretty close.

Andy's been under way about 5 minutes.

MsTree
01-18-2011, 06:41 AM
I woke up in time but had to go back to sleep after I hit record :lol:
Beck got injured?

scoobs
01-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Or something, didn't fancy letting Andy finish the match.

Who knows?

63 61 42 - simple enough really.

Yazoo.C
01-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Happy that Andy got through! :)

MsTree
01-18-2011, 05:56 PM
So Marchenko up next. Come on!!! :D

Yazoo.C
01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Post Match Interview (18/01/11)

Q. Do you get much out of that?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, yeah. I mean, I don't know exactly when he hurt himself. But, I mean, he was serving pretty well up until, you know, the end of the second set. And, yeah, I thought it was a pretty good match. I started well. Wasn't great at the end of the first set, then played better in the second.

But, uhm, yeah, I mean, obviously you'd rather finish the match off without your opponent being hurt. But, you know, it does happen quite a lot. So you just have to move on and get yourself ready for the next round.

Q. Does that affect your preparation for the next round in any way?

ANDY MURRAY: No, it was pretty close to the end. I mean, I think, you know, I don't know if it was maybe 4 2 in the third when he stopped. So, yeah, I mean, I don't think it will affect me too much in the next round.

Q. When he was going for it in the third set, he was firing everything. Did you think, At some point he's going to blow up or can he keep this going?

ANDY MURRAY: He's a very talented player. He hit some great shots. Yeah, obviously, you know, yeah, he just started throwing everything at me. He went for some huge shots. I just kind of had to weather the storm a little bit. I had some chances to go up a break in the third set, and again Love 30, didn't manage to break. So I was having chances.

I just had to hang in, make a lot of balls. It was high risk tennis. Managed to make a few mistakes before he stopped.

Q. Is that court a little tricky? You had that great match against Martin three or four years ago. Because it's so far away, is it sometimes difficult to get your concentration right?

ANDY MURRAY: It's actually one of the nicest courts to play on. When you hit the ball, like the echo, the noise it makes, you always feel like you're hitting the ball well. I practiced on it a couple of times before the start of the tournament. It's actually a really, really nice court to play on.

There is a lot of space around the court. There's a huge space between the people on the side and the crowd. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to get your bearings.

But I like that court. It's a really nice court.

Q. What do you think of the weather conditions so far?

ANDY MURRAY: It's different, you know, to what we normally have here. Today was actually pretty cold. It changes the way the court plays a lot. He hits the ball very flat anyway. With the court not being particularly warm, it was coming through quite low, whereas I'm sure in the next round later on in the week when it gets warmer, the ball is going to be bouncing very, very high. Very different tennis.

Yeah, it's just conditions that, you know, you have to deal with. A lot of the slams, the conditions can vary from day to day. You just have to be ready for anything.

Q. Reassuring to get that first one always, isn't it, in a slam?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, like I said before the tournament, everyone always has slight doubts before the start. You know, you're always a bit nervous. But getting off to a good start, getting a break early in the match, does help a lot, which I managed to do. Yeah, nice to be through to the second round with no drama.

Q. First meeting with Marchenko. Can you give your thoughts on what he might pose in terms of problems?

ANDY MURRAY: I don't really know him that well. I saw him play a little bit when the Ukraine played Great Britain in Davis Cup. That was obviously quite a while ago. He's improved a lot since then.

Danni and my mom went to watch some of his match after I finished, so they will give me the tactics, things to look for. But, yeah, I don't know his game that well.

Q. (Question regarding getting pictures developed.)

ANDY MURRAY: I haven't actually seen them. I don't know if they were in the papers or not. I haven't seen them.

Q. Was it a million you helped to raise?

ANDY MURRAY: It was great. Yeah, there's many of those things that the players can do the better. Obviously, raised $2 million, it's a huge amount of money and I'm sure will help out a lot. So, yeah, I mean, I think all of the players enjoyed it. It was obviously for a good cause. The crowd I think loved it. TV enjoyed it, too. Yeah, the more of those things we can do, the better.

Q. Spoke to Jamie about his accident?

ANDY MURRAY: I haven't spoken to him about it. My mum told me about it when I woke up this morning. But, yeah, I haven't seen him yet today.

I think it actually happened in a doubles match here. I saw that on YouTube. I think Llodra hit a bird a few years ago. That doesn't happen that often.

Q. (No microphone.)

ANDY MURRAY: Not that I'm aware of. I'll ask him, but I hope not.

Igede
01-18-2011, 10:35 PM
come on Murray!!!!

scoobs
01-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Apparently Andy is going to approach Wimbledon about organising some sort of charity event there like happens every year at the French and US Opens and has the last two years here in Australia.

Will be interesting to see if they can set something up, might be a bit tricky though, they tend to be possessive about their weekends and the usual issues with the neighbours etc.

scoobs
01-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Murray last match on MCA tomorrow so we can watch at a civilised hour.

MsTree
01-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Murray last match on MCA tomorrow so we can watch at a civilised hour.

:( Or brave the internet police and follow the livescore at work :o

scoobs
01-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Andy through 61 63 63 - overall a very good match from Andy.

Jade Fox
01-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Marchenko tried to fistpump his way to victory. Andy wasn't having any of it.

Good job old chap.(I'm feeling British today)

MsTree
01-20-2011, 06:51 PM
"Gaun yersel big man" might be more appropriate Jade :lol:

Looked like a strong performance from Andy from the 10 mins of highlights I've seen so far. Good stuff! :D

Yazoo.C
01-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Sorry not really sure which thread to post this in, so I'll just post here.

Q. If you could sit here and ask any player any question, what would you ask?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Depends on the player. I know them so well. I could put some of them on the spot, but I wouldn't like to do that.

Q. What about Andy Murray?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Andy Murray? For sure I would not ask him if he thinks that he will win a Grand Slam this year, because I think he's got asked that question quite a few times.

Probably I'd ask him something I know he likes to play PlayStation, so I'd probably ask him a few questions about that. And about soccer, because I know he likes Arsenal. No?

Caro does know Andy quite well :lol:

scoobs
01-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Andy about 2am British time, I think.

MsTree
01-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Nearly there! :D Thanks to the beeb for scheduling Point Break to finish just before his match starts :angel:
Love Keanu Reeves :hearts:

scoobs
01-22-2011, 01:58 AM
First set Murray 61

Tasty.

Andi-M
01-22-2011, 02:38 AM
Andy looking very very good today :)

scoobs
01-22-2011, 03:08 AM
Well Andy ripped GGL a new one, to be blunt.

Not that the Spaniard did too much other than to bend over and assume the position - he was lousy.

Even if he hadn't been, Murray was playing very well, his form in R2 was good and here it was a step up again.

He needs it from now on, now the draw gets tougher - Baghdatis or Melzer in R4 is starting to get serious.

I'm hoping he proves my prediction of doom wrong at this event - this would be the sort of match I can see him lose.

tennizen
01-22-2011, 03:16 AM
yeah, I am terrified of his next match.

MsTree
01-22-2011, 07:44 AM
I fell asleep again during the second set and woke up right at the end :lol:
Sounds like he did great without me though :) I'll watch the match later on!

Betty
01-22-2011, 07:45 AM
same:rolls:i was warching with an eye open and theo ther no :o

amdany
01-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Melzer is next, good luck Andy!

MsTree
01-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Andy v Melzer 2nd on Laver after Soderling v Dolgopolov :) Come on!!!

scoobs
01-23-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm not thanking the organisers for that scheduling.

2 am at the earliest. Lovely.

MsTree
01-23-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm going to try to sleep at about 8pm and then hopefully get in another couple of hours after the match. It's horrible when real life gets in the way of tennis! :)

Jade Fox
01-23-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm not thanking the organisers for that scheduling.

2 am at the earliest. Lovely.

Maybe they have me in mind. Sorry Chris. ;)

scoobs
01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm going to try to sleep at about 8pm and then hopefully get in another couple of hours after the match. It's horrible when real life gets in the way of tennis! :)
Ditto - nap this evening and then a few more after the match if I can.

AO is always rough.

tennizen
01-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Melzer is a tough tough match.

MsTree
01-24-2011, 01:49 AM
Here we go....

MsTree
01-24-2011, 02:03 AM
WTF??? Andy won the toss and defers. Eh???

MsTree
01-24-2011, 02:33 AM
The Big Yin in Andy's box :)

2 breaks of serve already! :eek:

Make that 3!!!

Despite Andy not having his serve, he takes the first 6-3. Come on! :)

Jade Fox
01-24-2011, 04:01 AM
Melzer is a tough tough match.

Not today. Andy spanked him.

scoobs
01-24-2011, 04:09 AM
That might have been a tough match, had Melzer been prepared to grit his teeth and fight but it's like Andy put him in a submission hold early and he just didn't want to fight out of it and let the referee count him out.

Awful from him.

Andy looked very good - but then - he has looked very good - but has had virtually no opposition.

If anything now I'm a bit worried that he's in the QFs a bit undercooked in terms of battle-hardness.

Dolgopolov may just provide that test next round.

MsTree
01-24-2011, 05:41 AM
I thought it was quite a poor quality match. I did fall asleep at the start of the third though so maybe it got better. Think Andy will need to up his game for Dolgopolov!

scoobs
01-24-2011, 11:14 AM
I thought Andy was pretty good, better as the match wore on, he was a bit untidy in the first set - but then, he really didn't *need* to be anything better than he was today, Melzer wasn't even at the races.

tennizen
01-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Not today. Andy spanked him.

Yeah, I completely did expect Melzer to mug it up so much:o

I thought it was quite a poor quality match. I did fall asleep at the start of the third though so maybe it got better. Think Andy will need to up his game for Dolgopolov!

I thought the first set was not great from Andy.Then he was better. Melzer was pathetic after the first couple of games.

MsTree
01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Maybe I fell asleep earlier than I thought :p A wins a win anyway. I'm firmly hoping he breezes through all his matches in straights this year :lol:

scoobs
01-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Andy vs Dolgo 3rd match on RLA after the two womens's QFs from 11am.

I am NOT grateful for this scheduling :)

Jade Fox
01-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Maybe I fell asleep earlier than I thought :p A wins a win anyway. I'm firmly hoping he breezes through all his matches in straights this year :lol:

Well don't we have high expectations? :lol:

Okay, no teasing this time, just a :hug:

MsTree
01-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Well don't we have high expectations? :lol:

Last year I wanted him to have hard matches and he got beat :lol: Thought I'd change tack this season :p

scoobs
01-25-2011, 05:41 PM
I think I will aim to be up for about 2.30 - 3am.

MsTree
01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Aye I've set the alarm for 2.45. Beeb reckons 3.30am on the planner. Off for a snooze now, see you later! :)

Yazoo.C
01-25-2011, 09:35 PM

That would be amazing! But I'd still be happy if he dropped a set or two. I haven't seen Dolgopolov play at all, and from what I've heard he will be very tricky. Hopefully Andy can pull through.

Me either. I haven't got to see a single one of Andy's matches because of the scheduling, I think I will have to miss the next one too. It's good that BBC show Highlights though, so I just watch them. :)

MsTree
01-26-2011, 02:28 AM
How good are the beeb at guessing the start times! :lol: Come on!!!

scoobs
01-26-2011, 02:32 AM
Well I'm glad Kim got her finger out of her ass and finished her match in 2 sets.

MsTree
01-26-2011, 03:41 AM
Jeezo, well that was a bit all over the place :tape: Awful 1st serve % from Andy but too many errors from Dolgo. 7-5.

scoobs
01-26-2011, 03:58 AM
Im starting to relax, just a little now.

Of course that's a very bad idea.

scoobs
01-26-2011, 04:18 AM
Second set much easier.

75 63

Dolgo's level has dropped markedly since that first set dogfight.

Andy has weathered the storm but needs to make sure he closes this down now, doesn't let Dolgo whip up another one.

MsTree
01-26-2011, 05:15 AM
Flipping heck, 4 SPs for Dolgo. Don't want to see a fourth set :tape:

Fuck! :o

MsTree
01-26-2011, 05:55 AM
Good last set from Andy, Dolgo making more errors. Into the semis we go :)

Jade Fox
01-26-2011, 05:58 AM
Andy I love you, but I feel like going down to Melbourne and spanking you with one of your rackets right now.

And you wouldn't enjoy it.

scoobs
01-26-2011, 06:33 AM
I will take it. He should have enough in the tank from week 1 for the dropped set not to matter. Dolgo is a handful. Really happy he is in the sfs after my doom predictions. I hope he wins it but he is supposed to lose to nadal so it wouldn't be a terrible loss. Still, Andy win it anyway :)

Andi-M
01-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Well well well maybe lady luck is finally on Murrays side avoiding Soderling was massive, avoiding Nadal even more massive.

Not underestimating Ferrer cos he aint exactly Andy's favorite oppeanent, but on hard Andy should have it covered, although Im not counting my chickens just yet.

Yazoo.C
01-26-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm not going to get too over excited :lol: I'll wait and see how he does in his semi before making any judgment about who/how he will play in the final :scared:

Of course I dream that he wins but bracing myself for the worst.

scoobs
01-26-2011, 11:18 PM
No - I got too excited last year and look how that turned out.

I wouldn't even dream of looking past Ferrer here.

Yazoo.C
01-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Just to be safe I think I'll start to think Ferrer is going to beat him :p If he wins great, but if he loses then I won't be as disappointed.

MsTree
01-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Actually, if Andy and Pics both played the way the played today, Pics has a huge chance against him. Trying not to think about it!

scoobs
01-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Actually, if Andy and Pics both played the way the played today, Pics has a huge chance against him. Trying not to think about it!
Andy won't play that way against Pics - he played the junk route against Dolgo because he really didn't have much choice, trying to out-power and out-aggressive Delpo would have been a really bad idea. Tsonga and Soderling tried that and they're already back in Europe planning their spring.

No, Andy will play the right way against David but I don't expect an easy match at all, it's a match Andy should win but could lose. He beat David 62 62 at the WTFs but I refuse to take much comfort in that ;)

Andi-M
01-27-2011, 10:56 AM
No doubt the moronic British press will be loading the pressure on Andy now Federes out :rolleyes:

I just hope that he can remain focused on his SF match and that he dosen't choke under the pressure of it all.

Good luck Andy!!!!!!!xxxxxxxxxxxx

scoobs
01-27-2011, 10:59 AM
This makes not a jot of difference.

He needs to beat Ferrer first and then worry about what he can do against Djokovic. I don't think either is an easy match at all.

rocketassist
01-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Problem with Pics is whilst I don't think he will beat Andy, he's capable of taking him to 4-5 hours and a loooooooong match, leaving him a bit goosed for Nole.

Andi-M
01-27-2011, 11:28 AM
I agree Djokovic for my money has been the best player consistently over past 2 weeks, he should be favourite no matter who comes through the other semi.

But you know those dumb assess in the press will be putting the pressure on Murray now. They are thick if they think Djokovic isnt the favorite for the title seeing as he's the only one in the final and he only one with a GS to his name.

scoobs
01-27-2011, 11:28 AM
*shrug*

Well Andy will need to step up then and win comfortably - he's got the tools - if he doesn't, then it's really his own problem. If Djokovic can take down Federer in straight sets, Andy should be able to do the same to Pics. He's dropped 1 set this tournament and spent not much over 10 hours on court to this point, he should have it in the tank even if Pics extends him a bit.

Andy has to show what he's made of here, the stakes just got higher, he doesn't have the "lost to the GOAT" argument anymore if he makes the final and then doesn't perform.

MurrayFan1
01-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Here is my Ferrer-Murray preview... shameless self promo I know.

http://www.murraysworld.com/columns/article/17319/

Jade Fox
01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
But you know those dumb assess in the press will be putting the pressure on Murray now. They are thick if they think Djokovic isnt the favorite for the title seeing as he's the only one in the final and he only one with a GS to his name.

See this is why I'm mad that Scotland wasn't able to win their independence from Great Britian. Why couldn't Andy be Irish? That way their long Slam drought would be GB's problem and there would be less pressure. :(

*shrug*

Well Andy will need to step up then and win comfortably - he's got the tools - if he doesn't, then it's really his own problem. If Djokovic can take down Federer in straight sets, Andy should be able to do the same to Pics. He's dropped 1 set this tournament and spent not much over 10 hours on court to this point, he should have it in the tank even if Pics extends him a bit.

Andy has to show what he's made of here, the stakes just got higher, he doesn't have the "lost to the GOAT" argument anymore if he makes the final and then doesn't perform.

Very true. He needs to go out there and act like he's been there before, because guess what? He has.

But just to be safe I'm looking up some African Voodoo rituals to use for tomorrow. :p

Yazoo.C
01-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Djokovic has been playing really well so even if Murray plays him for the first time in a Slam final (in fact their first GS match against each other :eek:) I'm definitely not going to underestimate him. :scared:

First of all he has to get through Pics which will be tough.

And it is kind of unfair that both semis weren't on the same day but, hopefully he will still get a days rest.

MsTree
01-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Not going to get ahead of myself. Hope Andy plays great tomorrow and I'll brave the internet police again to follow the beeb livetext page at work. Although they might be on to me after my victory dance when Nole won today :lol:
Play well Andy :)

MsTree
01-27-2011, 08:27 PM
See this is why I'm mad that Scotland wasn't able to win their independence from Great Britian. Why couldn't Andy be Irish? That way their long Slam drought would be GB's problem and there would be less pressure. :(

:D It's coming :) And we've almost got enough players now for our own DC team :cool:
But Irish? No thanks, he's ours :devil: There's no pressure from us Scots, we just want him to do his best, we've no GS tradition to worry over, if Andy does it, he'll be our first. :angel:

Yazoo.C
01-27-2011, 09:06 PM
I bet all the English people that hate him and say he is Scottish and not British will suddenly start saying oh he is British :lol:

Saying that there are a fair number of 'English' people that support him :angel:

hahayoyo
01-28-2011, 02:30 AM
C'mon...andy

jadey
01-28-2011, 03:48 AM
Cmon Andy , this is your chance , lots of people are cheering you on !!

MsTree
01-28-2011, 06:13 AM
I bet all the English people that hate him and say he is Scottish and not British will suddenly start saying oh he is British :lol:

Saying that there are a fair number of 'English' people that support him :angel:

:lol: Well of course there are sensible tennis fans amongst the English too :lol: I supported Henman and I didn't feel nationality was a barrier to that :p

There are also numpties in every country but there's nothing I like better than an anti-Scottish clown to sharpen my claws on :devil:

I'm still a bit worried for today. Hope Andy's on his game!!! Enjoy the match everyone :)

scoobs
01-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Andy breaks for *4-3

scoobs
01-28-2011, 08:49 AM
And then loses 3 games to drop the set 6-4. And he was a break up in the second but lost it again.

I am not happy at all with this.

Jade Fox
01-28-2011, 09:13 AM
I am not happy at all with this.

Really why should you? He's had all the chances and he's been letting them slip away so far. :(

Jade Fox
01-28-2011, 09:44 AM
And he finally takes a chance to win the set in a TB.

One down, two more to go.

enigma
01-28-2011, 09:50 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/11qiqa1.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2pz9u6d.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/21mgew0.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/qogjo8.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/xm4fg3.jpg

Jade Fox
01-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Andy, I love you, but if you ever put me through anything like that again, I will kill you! :fiery: :fiery:

Now at least I can sit back and eat some popcorn for the final.

Betty
01-28-2011, 11:35 AM
unreal stress:o
well the good thing he wont lose the point of the last year final
now Nole:scared:

Yazoo.C
01-28-2011, 11:39 AM
I was so tense through that match.

Thank God it's finally over :sobbing:

scoobs
01-28-2011, 11:48 AM
I did not enjoy that match.

I love grand slams but they are not good for my blood pressure, my sleep or my patience.

But he's there! He's in the finals, he's defended all his points (which seemed quite a tall order), he has another chance. That's all you can ask up to this point.

Now he has to go out there on Sunday and perform (and perform MUCH BETTER) if he wants to deliver.

Regenbogen
01-28-2011, 12:00 PM
That was a moderately horrible experience but at least it's amusing now instead of incredibly depressing. I spent large portions of the past few hours kind of hating Murray with all my heart and soul.

But it's all good now and I can't wait for the final. (After I get some sleep, that is. I'm in North America and have therefore been up all night.)

scoobs
01-28-2011, 12:06 PM
I didn't hate him

At times I did wonder why the hell i liked him :)

vn01
01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Good win for Andy. I am really happy. It'll be a great final in Melbourne! Good luck :hatoff: :worship:

tennizen
01-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Well done Andy. I have a good feeling about the final:bounce:

maqk
01-28-2011, 03:12 PM
congrats on reaching the Finals, but Djoko would be lot tougher than Ferrer, I wish to see a BRUTAL Final as Murray said ;)

MsTree
01-28-2011, 05:26 PM
I felt all your pain watching the livetext update, I was pretty mad myself!!!
I guess this one makes better watching once you know the outcome. :lol:

Yazoo.C
01-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Was Alex there at the match?
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Caroline+Wozniacki+2011+Australian+Open+Day+5kY-QXU_knyl.jpg

I don't see him in this picture :scratch:

Andi-M
01-28-2011, 09:46 PM
What am i gonna do all day tommorow doubt i'll be able to eat or sleep too much. Im just too mega excited about Sunday.

Good luck Andy!!!!!!!!!!!

scoobs
01-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Alex is not in Melbourne.

Yazoo.C
01-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Oh I didn't know that :eek: so basically he has no coach with him then.

nalbyfan
01-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Caroline Wozniacki is there....is she his new coach ??

MsTree
01-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Nah, she's probably not good enough at footie. Just a ticket scrounger :p

scoobs
01-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah, Caro is who I'D go to to make me be more aggressive :lol:

rocketassist
01-29-2011, 07:29 PM
JUST SMASH HIM!

Losing this one would hurt more than any other defeat. :scared:

MsTree
01-29-2011, 07:58 PM
It's more of a win-win for me but if it shuts up the gloaters and gloryhunters on GM then that would be fab :lol: The newspapers aren't going to be worth reading for a few days no matter how it goes. I'm really hoping for a good match, and as long as he tries his best, I can't ask for more :)

:secret: Surely losing to Verdasco at the AO a few years ago was far worse :lol:

MsTree
01-29-2011, 08:00 PM
BTW anyone know how long Planet Funk / Storm Lee / whatever he's calling himself this week is banned for? He's not on the list, did he only get a week?

scoobs
01-29-2011, 08:44 PM
He's not actually banned - there was some concern over something about his account - I can't really go into details - it's been suspended at the moment and we're waiting for him to get in touch to resolve it, but so far he hasn't been in contact with us.

I'm sorry he's missing this week.

hahayoyo
01-30-2011, 04:01 AM
c'mon Andy

MsTree
01-30-2011, 05:39 AM
Thanks Scoobs, didn't mean to put you in an awkward position there! Shame he's not here, I'm sure he'd be loving it!

Nice buildup they're having on Breakfast, John LLoyd says it's searing hot and the roof is shut but they're thinking they'll open it later in time for the final.

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 07:27 AM
Omg so nervous/excited

MsTree
01-30-2011, 07:33 AM
COME ON!!!!!

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 08:02 AM
really tough 1st hold there from andy

MsTree
01-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Would help if he'd brought his 1st serve with him! :lol:

edit - good, I think he heard me :)

edit #2 I jinxed him :(

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 08:21 AM
This is a real tough battle...

scoobs
01-30-2011, 08:23 AM
This will be tiring.

I'm tired already :)

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 08:26 AM
I'm tired too. Djoko has the upperhand so far in the rallies, his errors have kept Murray in it so far.

scoobs
01-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Okay I really don't get why he's urgently needing his restrung racquets.

Why on earth didn't he take racquets out with 4 or 5 different tensions all ready to go in case his first pick wasn't suitable for the conditions? It seems like he's playing this first set with a stick that he's not comfortable with.

MsTree
01-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Yeah that seemed like a weird call.

I using my wee cat as a stress toy, she's loving it! :lol:

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Must hold game started with awful df

scoobs
01-30-2011, 08:42 AM
First set Djokovic 64

So far, very much as expected.

I hope Andy's feeling good in the legs, that was an hour of play and nothing to show for it.

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 08:43 AM
:( :sad: serving 2nd again too.

MsTree
01-30-2011, 08:44 AM
1-0 to Nole. He looks like he wants it more :tape: Come on Andy!

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Andy nedes to think fuk it im gonna lose lets just go for it and be agressive.

He is not a better player from the baseline than Novak he needs to try something else.

scoobs
01-30-2011, 08:49 AM
Okay here's what I don't get.

Murray clearly wasn't happy with his racquet tension in that set. He urgently sent racquets to be restrung. Then he changed racquets right before he had to serve to stay in the set with a different tension, and gets broken.

It's so frustrating. This is poor preparation. Why on earth didn't he go out there with racquets at 5 or 6 different tensions and then he's ready to adjust immediately. Instead the first set has gone and he's behind the 8 ball, and has to find his way back in.

I'm bloody irritating to see this.

There's an extra hour of running in those legs, there's nothing to show for it, and he's under HUGE pressure now to win this second set, cos there's no way in hell he's coming back from 2 sets down.

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 08:57 AM
congrats Novak on your 2nd GS

Regenbogen
01-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Wow, this is awful stuff right now, he's completely out of it. I'd like to think he can at least manage to make this less of a letdown, but seriously, he's falling apart.

Basically I've stopped worrying about the match and started worrying about what this is going to do to him mentally. Fuck.

MsTree
01-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah Rach I just thought that too :tape:
Scoobs, I agree, it's really weird, wtf is going on with him? :o
Hope he can avoid the bagel here!

Yazoo.C
01-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Oh no :sobbing:

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 09:14 AM
maybe he's relaxed now he knows he can't win, could work for him.

MsTree
01-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Jeez, no BPs for the whole 2 sets then 3 when he's 1-5 down?
WTF is going on down there??? This is weird!
And both of them are having trouble with their eyes?
Well there's one break back. come on Andy!!!

Jade Fox
01-30-2011, 09:19 AM
All I wanted was a decent competitive match. That's all.

But now I want Andy to get whatever the fuck is going on in his head together.

And after this match, get a sports psychologist. ASAP.

Yazoo.C
01-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Got one of the breaks back and then he just hands it back :(

0-2 sets down now :tears:

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 09:30 AM
c'mon Andy

MsTree
01-30-2011, 09:30 AM
OMFG Andy, you pick a fine time to get your ass moving! :lol:

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 09:35 AM
The guy can't hold serve for toffee

scoobs
01-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Put us out of our misery, Nole, please.

MsTree
01-30-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm chainsmoking for Scotland here :lol:

scoobs
01-30-2011, 09:44 AM
He's gonna get SLATED for his.

I can't say he won't deserve it.

It's not just that he's losing - his whole attitude out there is terrible. It's flat, when it's not flat it's frustrated, when it's not frustrated it's miserable, when it's not miserable it's tired.

I want to see SOMETHING positive out of him and he's giving me nothing.

Jade Fox
01-30-2011, 09:46 AM
He's gonna get SLATED for his.

I can't say he won't deserve it.

It's not just that he's losing - his whole attitude out there is terrible. It's flat, when it's not flat it's frustrated, when it's not frustrated it's miserable, when it's not miserable it's tired.

I want to see SOMETHING positive out of him and he's giving me nothing.

This.

After this Judy needs to whack a bunch of Head rackets over his head.

Yazoo.C
01-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Andy had lots of chances to hold serve in that last game but then he played a bad point each time he had the chances.

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Mugray, mental midget, pusher, english, scottish, british, loser...all words we will be hearing shortly.

scoobs
01-30-2011, 09:56 AM
You missed

Grumpy, foul-mouthed, dour, miserable, uninspiring, negative and probably a few more.

Jade Fox
01-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Mugray, mental midget, pusher, english, scottish, british, loser...all words we will be hearing shortly.

English? I think he's 100% Scottish right now. :p

scoobs
01-30-2011, 10:02 AM
This is such a bad match, I feel so bad for the crowd right now. They wanted a high quality match, or at least a contest, and they've had a dog's dinner.

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 10:03 AM
How a top 5 player can have soo much trouble just winning a service game is beyond me.

never mind well done for doing it!!

MsTree
01-30-2011, 10:04 AM
:lol: Aye he's all Scottish, we're great at losing. Usually it's snatching defeat from the jaws of victory mind :p

scoobs
01-30-2011, 10:05 AM
He's making it very hard for me to love him today - it's all the unlovely characteristics on display.

MsTree
01-30-2011, 10:10 AM
I still love him. But I know exactly where you're coming from Scoobs :hug:

Jade Fox
01-30-2011, 10:13 AM
He's making it very hard for me to love him today - it's all the unlovely characteristics on display.

If I didn't love him, I wouldn't be so angry at him right now. :mad:

Regenbogen
01-30-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm too depressed to hate him at this point. I just feel bad about everything. :help:

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 10:17 AM
I've had enough of this heartbreak.

scoobs
01-30-2011, 10:21 AM
4-6 2-6 3-6

A long way away from being good enough today.

I don't have much more to say about that.

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 10:24 AM
He would have got more games off GOAT for sure. No excuses, he just aint man enough!

Regenbogen
01-30-2011, 10:25 AM
I don't know.

Still love him for some reason.

MsTree
Andy :hug:

Jade Fox
As for Andy's performance, I with you Chris. There's nothing really to say now. I've said it all, you've said it all, we all said it all.

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Time to find a new practice partner. Djokovic knows Andys game inside out.

Betty
01-30-2011, 10:32 AM
time to find his balls in important moments:o

:mad::sobbing:

hahayoyo
01-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Andy...I dunno what to say...
Keep trying, keep improving...U will win your first grand slam one day.

Betty
01-30-2011, 10:34 AM
he didnt play like he can do
this is the madness i feel
he could lose but not in this way imo

but still see his disappoint now it is heartbreaked:hug:

hahayoyo
01-30-2011, 10:35 AM
F#@$...I can barely watch now...

scoobs
01-30-2011, 10:35 AM
I don't know.

Still love him for some reason.
Me too.

But I've lost any belief he will win a major. It's been destroyed, like he was. I'd rather he kept out of major finals altogether if this is as good as it gets. The public, frankly, deserve a decent contest.

scoobs
01-30-2011, 10:36 AM
F#@$...I can barely watch now...
I turned it off. I don't need to see it.

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 10:39 AM
No tears just a generic congrats to Novak, thanks to the tournament directors, crowd etc. Totally dejected as you would expect.

Jade Fox
01-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Me too.

But I've lost any belief he will win a major. It's been destroyed, like he was. I'd rather he kept out of major finals altogether if this is as good as it gets. The public, frankly, deserve a decent contest.

See I don't like talking in hyperbole because no one knows what can happen. As Roger said, "Let's wait six months."

Doesn't mean he needs some type of help in dealing with these situations. He should get another sports psychologist.

At least he didn't cry this time.

dombrfc
01-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Hard luck Muzza, keep going...

Noleta
01-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Knock knock:)

:hug: to y'all.I'm sure Andy will bounce back from this,just another leartning experience for him,still time for him:)Don't be harsh on him:)

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 10:44 AM
I cba with GM, I can't defend him and don't want to insult him.

scoobs
01-30-2011, 10:45 AM
See I don't like talking in hyperbole because no one knows what can happen. As Roger said, "Let's wait six months."

Doesn't mean he needs some type of help in dealing with these situations. He should get another sports psychologist.

At least he didn't cry this time.

I know - wait 6 months - things can turn around.

Still, there's hope and then there's blind faith. I don't see an awful lot to pin hope on in terms of his grand slam final displays.

People often cite Lendl and Agassi, they lost their first three, went on to win many.

They did, however, get themselves into their final matches, only 1 of those 6 were lost in straight sets.

Andy not once in these three matches has ever looked like himself out there.

MsTree
01-30-2011, 11:01 AM
He's getting the slagging you would expect on GM, and really it is indefensible. I got the impression during his RU speech that he wasn't even that bothered but I'm sure he's just hiding it well.

But WTF is going on in his head during these finals? He's going backwards, that was a bigger beatdown than Fed handed to him either time. Or is that just me? Anyway, Jade's right, he needs a sports psychologist and I would put that higher up the shopping list than a coach.

Jade Fox
01-30-2011, 11:02 AM
I know - wait 6 months - things can turn around.

Still, there's hope and then there's blind faith. I don't see an awful lot to pin hope on in terms of his grand slam final displays.

People often cite Lendl and Agassi, they lost their first three, went on to win many.

They did, however, get themselves into their final matches, only 1 of those 6 were lost in straight sets.

Andy not once in these three matches has ever looked like himself out there.

I don't have blind faith. There's things he needs to do before he can win a major. Like get a sports psychologist again(I won't stop mentioning this until he does.) But I'm not gonna count him out just yet.

And really I don't care about the other paths taken to slam glory. I only care about Andy's path right now.

ESPN showed a bit of his presser. He didn't give any excuses and gave Novak a lot of deserved credit. Then they cut coverage.

Yazoo.C
01-30-2011, 11:05 AM
I am gutted for him, but in a way this one is slightly less upsetting for than last years. Maybe because I was expecting him to lose, and didn't have my hopes too high.

He can play so much better, but unfortunately he doesn't seem to bring it to the finals. :shrug:

He is still looking for a new coach, and hopefully the rest of his season will be good.

scoobs
01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm not going in there right now. I can't defend the inexcusable and I can't bring myself to read just how much some people will be glorying in this result.

scoobs
01-30-2011, 11:15 AM
I don't have blind faith. There's things he needs to do before he can win a major. Like get a sports psychologist again(I won't stop mentioning this until he does.) But I'm not gonna count him out just yet.

And really I don't care about the other paths taken to slam glory. I only care about Andy's path right now.

ESPN showed a bit of his presser. He didn't give any excuses and gave Novak a lot of deserved credit. Then they cut coverage.

Clearly he needs to change something about his preparation for major finals. It doesn't seem like he's learned anything from experience though - now either he's just unbelievably stubborn, or mentally it's not happening for him. Maybe a sports psychologist could help, I don't know, but that always seems like a facile answer to me - maybe he just doesn't have what it takes mentally.

Jade Fox
01-30-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm not going in there right now. I can't defend the inexcusable and I can't bring myself to read just how much some people will be glorying in this result.

Yeah not going to GM either. Let them rip him apart, I don't give a shit.

At least now I can get a regular sleeping pattern again. :p

MsTree
01-30-2011, 11:17 AM
I read the first 12 pages of the match thread, my post is on page 4. Clydey's on suicide watch. Safin rules is coming out with his usual anti-Scottish shite, the other trolls are having a field day. Just as you would expect really!

I'm off out for a walk, first bit of sunshine we've seen in about 3 months! :hug: to everyone!

Yazoo.C
01-30-2011, 11:18 AM
He's getting the slagging you would expect on GM, and really it is indefensible. I got the impression during his RU speech that he wasn't even that bothered but I'm sure he's just hiding it well.

But WTF is going on in his head during these finals? He's going backwards, that was a bigger beatdown than Fed handed to him either time. Or is that just me? Anyway, Jade's right, he needs a sports psychologist and I would put that higher up the shopping list than a coach.

I felt his voice was breaking up a little in his RU speech, and managed to avoid crying :hug:
Of course I think he was upset, not sure how much though and he didn't let that show.

And yeah I think he played much better against Fed last year, at least two of those sets were really
close.

I've not been to GM either.

scoobs
01-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Yeah not going to GM either. Let them rip him apart, I don't give a shit.

At least now I can get a regular sleeping pattern again. :p
Amen to that last.

In fact I can take a break from tennis and pick up some of the neglected areas of my life.

scoobs
01-30-2011, 11:19 AM
I read the first 12 pages of the match thread, my post is on page 4. Clydey's on suicide watch. Safin rules is coming out with his usual anti-Scottish shite, the other trolls are having a field day. Just as you would expect really!

I'm off out for a walk, first bit of sunshine we've seen in about 3 months! :hug: to everyone!
I asked the other mods to go deal. I'm not getting involved. Best I stay out of it.

I'm going to get off here and go and do something entirely non-tennis related.

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm less upset than last year too, and its not because I dislike Fed and am fairly fond of Novak. Its because I think last year I was utterly convinced Andy will win a slam, and he played the best tennis of his life in that tournament, nothing has come close to that match vs Nadal since.

This year he had a favorable draw that he took advantage of. Novak was by far playing the better tennis.

If the lovely Soderling had beaten Dolgo im pretty sure a QF exit was on the cards. There are about 5 or 6 players that are better at generic hitting forehands and backhands than he is. simple he needs to accept it.

He can do things those guys can't but he dosent he tries to beat them at their own game. Not working evidently.

amdany
01-30-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm less upset than last year too, and its not because I dislike Fed and am fairly fond of Novak. Its because I think last year I was utterly convinced Andy will win a slam, and he played the best tennis of his life in that tournament, nothing has come close to that match vs Nadal since.

This year he had a favorable draw that he took advantage of. Novak was by far playing the better tennis.

If the lovely Soderling had beaten Dolgo im pretty sure a QF exit was on the cards. There are about 5 or 6 players that are better at generic hitting forehands and backhands than he is. simple he needs to accept it.

He can do things those guys can't but he dosent he tries to beat them at their own game. Not working evidently.

Couldn't agree more :worship:

Regenbogen
01-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Yeah, I mean, when I think about it objectively it's pretty much what I expected--maybe not as bad a loss, but I didn't truly think he had much of a shot based on how both he and Djokovic were playing. The thing I really hate about this result is that I'm just so worried about how this is going to affect Murray.

For me this year is worse because last year's AO was the least attention I've paid to a major in the last decade because I was having fun in Amsterdam. :p

Jade Fox
01-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I mean, when I think about it objectively it's pretty much what I expected--maybe not as bad a loss, but I didn't truly think he had much of a shot based on how both he and Djokovic were playing. The thing I really hate about this result is that I'm just so worried about how this is going to affect Murray.

For me this year is worse because last year's AO was the least attention I've paid to a major in the last decade because I was having fun in Amsterdam. :p

Lucky sod. You missed his tears. :p

MsTree
01-30-2011, 12:15 PM
I asked the other mods to go deal. I'm not getting involved. Best I stay out of it.

I'm going to get off here and go and do something entirely non-tennis related.

I had a quick walk, it might be sunny outside but it's bloddy freezing! At least I blew some cobwebs away. Try not to dwell :hug;

Pretty much sums it all up. Great post.

but-it's-ok
01-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Just came to give all of you some big:hug::hug:

Andy keeps putting himself in with a chance to win a GS,and he will win one!. He will have learned a lot today,and will be stronger for the next time.

Take care

Di
:wavey:

Yazoo.C
01-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Interview after the final:
Q. How hard is it for you at the moment?

ANDY MURRAY: It's better than it was last year. You know, it was obviously tough, disappointing. You know, I thought Novak played unbelievably well. And, yeah, it's tough, but got to deal with it.

Q. Why do you say you feel better this year than last year?

ANDY MURRAY: I just do. That's it. I was in a much worse state last year than I was this year. I don't know why. That's it.

Q. Did you have a feeling at any time you were going to get back into it?

ANDY MURRAY: You always have to try and find a way to get back in. You always have to try and believe. I mean, you know, he defended, I mean, unbelievably well tonight.

So when I got ahead in some games, you know, and even just in points, uhm, you know, he was sticking up lobs that were landing on the baseline, passing shots that were very close to the lines.

So it was quite difficult to find parts of the court where I was getting free points from. You know, I think I broke his serve maybe twice in the third set and still lost it 6 3.

So, you know, I was trying to find a way; I just wasn't able to put enough good points together.

Q. The first two sets, on his serve you only made six points in the first set and again six points in the second set. How do you explain that?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I don't know. I just finished, so I don't know exactly why that would have been.

But, you know, he played a great match. He hardly missed any balls. You know, it wasn't like I was missing loads of returns or making a lot of mistakes off returns. You know, we were getting into a lot of rallies.

I saw the stats up on the thing at the end of the match. Not like he hit way more winners than he. I made way more mistakes than him and he defended very well.

Q. You didn't seem to move as well as you had done in this tournament. Were your energy levels down? Was there an injury problem at all?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I would say the semifinal match was a tough one, a long one. But I felt okay. You know, when it's a Grand Slam final as well, the adrenaline helps. You feel a lot better with that. That definitely helps.

No, that definitely wasn't the reason why I lost.

Q. Can you put your finger on why it just didn't click for you? Wasn't the real Andy Murray out there, was it?

ANDY MURRAY: It was. But he played great. I mean, I would have liked to have played better. But, you know, I think he would have beaten every other player on the tour if he played like that tonight.

He served well. He didn't make many mistakes from the back of the court. He moved really, really well. He hit the ball very clean. That was it.

Q. Agassi lost three finals before he went on to win a career slam. Do you still have belief you can win?

ANDY MURRAY: You know, I want to keep working hard, try and improve. You know, but I said before the final, it's not something that, you know, I don't lose sleep over at night. You know, it's going to be tough for sure for a few days.

But, you know, I want to try and win one, of course. But if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. You know, I'm just working as hard as I can. I train very hard. You know, I take tennis very seriously.

But, you know, I love my life away from tennis, as well. You know, that's why maybe this year, compared with last, I'm very, very happy off the court. I'm enjoying myself. There's other things to look forward to, too.

Q. Did you get the sense that the first set was always going to be the crucial one today, that that one getting away from you gave him that extra incentive to go for his shots?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I think he definitely loosened up after the first set and started playing better. You know, it was a long first set. The match was even quite long for the scoreline. There was quite a lot of long rallies and stuff.

But, yeah, the first set of all matches in majors are important. But just because you lose the first one, you still have a lot of time to get back into it. You know, I wasn't able to get back into it.

Q. Can you describe how different it is physically and mentally playing in a Grand Slam final as to a regular tour final?

ANDY MURRAY: Physically there's no difference to playing any of the other matches. I mean, mentally, you know, there's a bit more pressure and stuff. But that gets less, you know, after you start the match. It's more the buildup in the beginning of the match.

You know, the pressure is different obviously to playing the first round of a Grand Slam because you're playing to win it. But physically it's the same as all the other matches.

Q. You said off the court you're very happy. Is there a sense of frustration having been there three times and not getting one yet?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, yeah, anyone who played in three finals would have loved to have won one. But I haven't. And, yeah, I mean, I just need to keep working hard and, you know, try and do it.

But, yeah, I would have preferred to have won one than lost three.

Q. Were there any improvements in Novak's game that surprised you?

ANDY MURRAY: He's a very good player. I haven't played him for a very long time, you know, but I've played him when he's played well and when he hasn't played so well.

He served well tonight in comparison to how he had been the last year or so. That's definitely helped him.

Q. Do you think you can still get close to his level when you're at your best? Is there a gap there now that you need to bridge?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I think I could have played better this evening. Yeah, I mean, I'm going to need to improve. You know, obviously I lost in straight sets, so I'm going to need to get better.

Q. Is it tougher for you to have lost in straight sets like the other two finals, or it doesn't change that much because what is important is to win?

ANDY MURRAY: I don't think it changes that much. Uhm, you know, obviously, you know, if it's sort of a five set match, you feel like you're very, very close to winning, I'm sure that's very difficult, you know, when you get so close.

You know, I wasn't particularly close tonight. I mean, it's disappointing I'm sure every time you lose, whether it's three sets or five sets.

Q. Rafa when he came in said he didn't want to talk about injury. He did eventually say he did have a problem. Are you saying you were a hundred percent?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah. I mean, I thought I moved decent. I think I could have moved better. But, no, like I said, yeah, I wasn't injured.

But, you know, I had a tough match in the semi. I moved very well the whole tournament. I felt like I could have moved a bit better tonight.

And against someone like Novak, you know, you need to be firing on all cylinders, and I didn't move as well as I would have liked.

Q. I know it is what it is, but this idea of playing, you've got 24 hours less...

ANDY MURRAY: I think they do a great job at this tournament. Last year I had some extra time. The US Open you have both players don't have any time really. You play Saturday, Sunday. I mean, I think it's fine the way they do it here.

Q. What were you talking about to the umpire in the first set? You seemed to get into a discussion with the umpire.

ANDY MURRAY: No, I hit a backhand cross court, and I think it was quite clear in the end they called it out and he overruled. I just said to him, like, you know, I thought that was like almost inside the line. You know, he sort of like bit back at me even though he'd overruled it and we were agreeing.

I just said to him, like, to get defensive toward me, I was just saying I thought it was a quite clear mistake. That was it. It wasn't anything more than that.

Q. You've played him a lot. Has he ever been better at retrieving and playing defense?

ANDY MURRAY: No, he always moves great. But, you know, tonight there was probably five, six times when, you know, I got into good position. He stuck up a lob that landed right on the baseline. You know, so it's difficult to smash because you don't know whether it's going in or not.

Then a couple of times, you know, we played I think at 5 4 in the first set we had another unbelievable point at 15 30. You know, he did some unbelievable retrieving in that point. You know, he came up I think to break me in the third set. You know, I had him going side to side. He hit one backhand passing shot down the line from way back in the court.

When he was on the run tonight, he hit the ball very, very well.

Q. You changed to Plan B against David Ferrer. Did you have any tactical changes that you would have liked to have made tonight?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I started trying to go for my shots more as the match went on. You know, at the beginning of the match, both of us, you're sort of trying to feel each other out a little bit. As you work your way into the match, you start to find patterns and go for your shots more.

Started taking more chances. You know, managed to break serve a few times, but wasn't able to keep it up for long enough.

Q. It took you a little over three months to recover last year, yet you seem to be saying you can handle it better now, not have the same effect.

ANDY MURRAY: I don't know. Might do. But right now I feel better than I did last year. I'll see what I do from here, you know. I don't know, I might not play for a few months. I might feel like playing in a week's time. It depends. See how I feel.

Q. Is the other way to switch it around to say, first major tournament of the season, another final?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I look at the tournament as a whole, it was excellent. I don't think anyone would say that reaching a slam final is a bad achievement. It's a very, very good achievement.

Obviously right now there's disappointment because you just lost the match. But, you know, when you look back over the tournament, you know, there's not many people that can say they've made slam finals.

So, you know, I'll be very happy with the way the tournament went. But I would have obviously liked to have gone one step further.

MsTree
01-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks Di. And Noleta! :hug: I've even got Rose feeling sorry for Andy on FB :lol:

Not sure what to make of that presser. My impression is still that he's not that bothered. Wonder if he and Kim are getting married?

Jade Fox
01-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks Di. And Noleta! :hug: I've even got Rose feeling sorry for Andy on FB :lol:

Not sure what to make of that presser. My impression is still that he's not that bothered. Wonder if he and Kim are getting married?

I think he's hiding it this time. He didn't look happy at all at the ceremony and his voice was wavering. And what I saw of his presser live doesn't indicate that he was nonchalant about what happened.

Don't know about him and Kim, and honestly I don't really care. Although if he were happy off court shouldn't some of that happiness translate on court as well?

MsTree
01-30-2011, 01:35 PM
I think he's hiding it this time. He didn't look happy at all at the ceremony and his voice was wavering. And what I saw of his presser live doesn't indicate that he was nonchalant about what happened.

Don't know about him and Kim, and honestly I don't really care. Although if he were happy off court shouldn't some of that happiness translate on court as well?

Well, yes you would think so. But he said very clearly in his presser that there was off-court stuff "to look forward to"

But, you know, I love my life away from tennis, as well. You know, that's why maybe this year, compared with last, I'm very, very happy off the court. I'm enjoying myself. There's other things to look forward to, too.

Ach well, no point in going over and over it. Hope he gets back on track before too long.

Jade Fox
01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Well, yes you would think so. But he said very clearly in his presser that there was off-court stuff "to look forward to"

Ach well, no point in going over and over it. Hope he gets back on track before too long.

Well to be honest, during the match especially during the second set when he just completely lost it and almost got bageled, I was wondering if something happened off court to cause him to be so upset. Of course I was thinking maybe someone close to him had died.

I was never much of a romantic really. It's probably why I never cared that much about the WAGS of any sport. :lol:

I saw that quote but who knows if that even means anything. He for the most part refused to make excuses or say anything to take away from Novak's win. Only time will tell if he means anything by that.

I saw on his website message board that he's scheduled to play Rotterdam the week after this upcoming one. I hope he still plays. I don't want him to get into another funk like last year.

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Andy just 'being a man' about it this year. Zero emotion, completely robotic. Not sure Im happy about it tbh. Im glad he is not publically destroying himself over it for sure.

But I hope privately he is affected enough to do something about it. Like looking at his set-up, getting a sports pysch and changing some aspects of his game. If he does nothing pro-active before Wimby I'll be disappointed.

scoobs
01-30-2011, 02:48 PM
I hope he does show up in Rotterdam, not least of which because I'm going over there to watch some of the tournament, but also because I think it would be a bad idea for him to put the racquet down and wallow - it didn't do him any favours last year.

MsTree
01-30-2011, 05:37 PM
I hope he plays too. But if he doesn't, at least you'll have the lovely Gilles to watch :hearts:

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 08:56 PM
I just watched the presser, very different from reading it. He was wiping tears at one point, i sense major post - AO depression syndome part II.

I agree its really important he plays asap to prevent this from happening.

MsTree
01-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Do you have a link for it Rachel? I haven't seen it.

Andi-M
01-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Hey Les its on beeb website :D http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9381539.stm

Yazoo.C
01-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Becker and Henman saying a few things (Andy should stay positive etc):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9381465.stm

MsTree
01-31-2011, 05:59 AM
Hey Les its on beeb website :D http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9381539.stm

Thanks, wasn't expecting to find it on the beeb, I was looking on youtube!

I just feel really sorry for him. and goes to show even an accurate transcript doesn't convey the full story. Just want to give him a big hug!!! :sad:

01-31-2011, 01:59 PM
I feel badly for Andy :sad: But there are many, many, many Pro Players over the years that never even made it to a Grand Slam Final. He just needs to focus more and try to stay positive. The way Nole was playing in that Tournament I don't know if anyone could have defeated him!

Jade Fox
01-31-2011, 03:31 PM

Thanks for posting this. I didn't get to see the whole presser.

Yeah the words might be neutral but his body language gives him away. :hug:

Which is why I hope he plays Rotterdam.

MsTree
01-31-2011, 05:49 PM
It was on the BBC Radio Scotland news this morning that he'd said he was taking a fortnight off, perhaps even longer :(

But they've just said on Reporting Scotland that he's still entered in Rotterdam, and after that Dubai.

So who knows? :confused:

Yazoo.C
01-31-2011, 06:37 PM
No idea what he intends to do. I just hope he gets over this loss quicker than last year :awww:

Yazoo.C
01-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Got this from GM.

Andy Murray craves 'normal life' after crushing Australian Open defeat
• Murray ponders break after Melbourne final flop
• 'I want to chill out, get away from the court'

Andy Murray says he wants "a normal life". When he reflects on that ambition, away from the clamour that attended a second crushing disappointment in the final of the Australian Open, he will know it is a forlorn wish.

What celebrities – reluctant or nakedly ambitious – struggle to understand is that they are not "normal"; otherwise they would not have to explain in the middle of the night where it went wrong and where it might be put right.

It went wrong in the Rod Laver Arena today, over two hours and 39 minutes, as Novak Djokovic won his second Melbourne title and second major 6-4, 6-2, 6-3. And where it might be put right, Murray says, is in time away from the pressures of tennis. "Normal life? Exactly. [That] is what I enjoy. Normal life ... not people bashing on your door at four in the morning."

The attentions of the sport's drug testers are among the minor inconveniences in his life compared with the nation's wish that he ease the lingering pain of 75 years and deliver a major title. It is doubtful if Murray has wondered how abnormal his life might have been had he won. While he said beforehand he would not go on to the court accompanied by the ghosts of previous failure or the expectations of others, that burden did bear down on him.

In the aftermath of defeat, a time when words often fail to convey real intentions, he said he might walk away from tennis for three months or he might feel like playing next week. "I was just saying that it depends on how I feel. I don't have to play until Indian Wells [10 March] and Miami [23 March]. If I am enjoying myself back home, then I won't start training again, because last year I went through the motions a bit and that is not the way to move forward. I want to spend time with my girlfriend, chill out and get away from the court."

This time last year he was trying to piece together his fractured relationship with Kim Sears. They had split but were soon reconciled. She did not come to Melbourne but they spoke every day on the phone – like normal people. "Tennis is a lot of fun, I am very lucky to be playing it but I enjoy the other parts of life as well. Right now I am disappointed. I've been away since the week after the tour finals. It's a long time. I'm looking forward to getting back to seeing friends, family, my dog, doing all the normal stuff I like doing. That's what I need to do – everyone would, if they had been away for so long.

"I am sure guys like [Roger] Federer, he's got family and stuff at home, he doesn't want to think about tennis."

Probably not. But tennis wants to think about Federer and Murray and all the others who a long time ago gave up those comforts that normality provides.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jan/30/andy-murray-australian-open

MsTree
02-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Hmmmm. Well I'm not surprised he's fed up, I'm sure he's thinking that if he'd picked footie over tennis then he'd be earning twice as much, no one would hear him swear during a match and if he was having a bad day he could always hide on the pitch or even not make the teamsheet. The match would still go ahead. And as far as I know the drug testers only test at matches, not come round your door at stupid o'clock in the morning. Is t really necessary for him to get tested at 4am??? Why don't they save that for folk who have been caught once already? Poor Andy :hug:

scoobs
02-01-2011, 07:27 AM
I'm waiting for the withdrawn from Rotterdam announcement.

I suspect he'd rather slam his fingers in a car door than return to competition next week.

Yazoo.C
02-01-2011, 03:26 PM
http://www.andymurray.com/#/home/news/andys-blog-3/

Andy's blog - sounds positive :yeah:

nalbyfan
02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Poor Andy, I suppose those awful english tabloids (The Sun ) bash him like crazy....
Hope he'll pull out of Rotterdam and take a well deserved break before Dubai

MsTree
02-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Andy Murray could get a swift chance for revenge against Novak Djokovic as the pair are set to play in next week's World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam.

Djokovic, who beat Murray in Sunday's Australian Open final, will be the top seed, with the Scot seeded third.

Murray could also play doubles with his brother Jamie at the indoor event as the pair have requested a wildcard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9387018.stm

Yazoo.C
02-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Requesting a WC for doubles, that pretty much says to me he is going to play Rotterdam. :)

MsTree
02-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Novak's pulled out so Andy will be seeded 2 if he plays.

Andi-M
02-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Excellent glad he's being pro-active this year rather than reactive.

I am suprised though i thought he would be spending some quality time with Kim. Im pretty sure things are more serious then ever atm.

Jade Fox
02-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Is there any confirmation he's playing? There are signs that shows he's playing but have the TDs at Rotterdam confirmed it?

MsTree
02-05-2011, 09:20 AM
It's all just circumstantial evidence so far Jade. Although if he pulls out now after requesting a WC for doubles he would get a right slagging :lol:

And this from the tourney site http://www.abnamrowtt.nl/main.cfm?pers_id=268&lang=1&c_id=91&site_id=9&main_id=91

04/02/2011

Just one of the big matches for the 38th ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament is the match between Andy Murray and Marcos Baghdatis. Titleholder Robin Söderling will be facing Dutch Robin Haase.

“In the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament you can expect a tough draw, with such a strong field,” reacted the completely recovered Robin Haase. The match between Robin Söderling and Robin Haase is provisionally scheduled at Tuesday night at 19.30 hrs.

Andy Murray and Marcos Baghdatis are provisionally scheduled for Wednesday night at 19.30 hrs.

scoobs
02-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Well it will be interesting to see where Andy's head's at this week - last year he was a mess until Wimbledon, pretty much.

MsTree
02-09-2011, 05:41 PM
He's in the same kit as the ballboys :lol:

Yazoo.C
02-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Come on Andy focus. He just got broken there but still 3-1 up :)

MsTree
02-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Andy :( WTF were you doing there? :o 4-6

Yazoo.C
02-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Oh dear :o

He was two breaks up as well.

Betty
02-09-2011, 06:23 PM
i was looking for the rotterdam thread:rolls:

Andi-M
02-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Andy clearly not done with the moping at this point.

Yazoo.C
02-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Andy's level dropped, Baggy raised his - that's my explanation :lol:

Betty
02-09-2011, 06:34 PM
i had doubts he was not really play here:o

Regenbogen
02-09-2011, 06:35 PM
At this point I wish he hadn't played here. :help:

MsTree
02-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Oh dear :o

MsTree
02-09-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm glad you didn't go to Rotterdam Scoobs :hug:

Yazoo.C
02-09-2011, 06:53 PM
The one positive thing I can take out of this is that he actually turned up to play this year. Not sure how he will feel after this loss :unsure:

He still has doubles though which I suppose is good.

Andi-M
02-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Like a stroppy child this guy, no-one forced him to play not impressed with that level of effort!

and if Jamie is serious about his dubs career surely he shouldn't bother playing with Andy and should focus on playing with a more perm partner.

scoobs
02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
From his pre-match comments it looks like he didn't exactly hurry over there and then didn't expect to be prepared for the conditions.

If I were a tournament director of a tournament like this, like Krajicek, I think I'd be very wary of someone like Andy - he can be well up for it, and then at other times his level of commitment and effort and attitude are not what you want, and I'd be pretty irritated with this sort of stuff in Krajicek's place. It's one thing to turn up and lose, it's another to pretty much thumb your nose at the tournament with your attitude.

Yazoo.C
02-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Interview
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9392906.stm

nalbyfan
02-10-2011, 12:54 PM
He should skip Dubai and have a long break

Yazoo.C
02-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Andy and Jamie won their doubles match against Tsonga/Benneteau :bounce:

MsTree
02-10-2011, 06:36 PM