Starting off 2011 Down Under [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Starting off 2011 Down Under

Deboogle!.
12-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Well it's that time again. Andy's in Brisbane practicing and says it's the first time since last May that he's felt 100% healthy...

64er9sEAGQ4

snaillyyy
12-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Doesn't seem five minutes since last season ended :lol: I see he is wearing the new shoes :pcertainly won't lose them in the dark ;)

straitup
12-30-2010, 05:00 AM
Rockin' shoes :lol:. I'm looking forward to see what he does this year

Fee
12-30-2010, 05:38 AM
I'm not ready for this yet. Maybe I'll tune out until the AO starts.

arodfanpe666o
12-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Andy creates expectations in his interviewes. I hope it is not for nothing.

Roddick2k9
12-30-2010, 01:05 PM
I hope this year we will see aggresive A-Rod. Sort of the A-Rod that played Nadal in the WTF. But then again Roddick only brings that type of play when he has no other option. C'mon Andy step onto that baseline and take the ball early and flat!!!!!!!! yeeaaaahhhhhh.

arodfanpe666o
12-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Well, I think it is too late to hope for this sort of things...

Roddick2k9
12-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Yh unfortunately i know...but it was worth a thought

tangerine_dream
12-30-2010, 06:48 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-Finals-2010/Andy-Roddick.aspx

RODDICK AS HUNGRY AS EVER :rocker2:

Andy Roddick’s physical trainer Lance Hooten and physio Doug Spreen discuss the American’s off-season training.

Andy Roddick has been as hungry and motivated as ever during the off-season as he prepares for his 12th full season on the ATP World Tour and another assault on the Australian Open title.

“I haven’t seen him this motivated for some time,” said Roddick’s physical trainer, Lance Hooten. “Andy’s always been a grinder, a hard worker; you have to put reins on him all the time because he’s always going to work too hard, too long and too much.” :cool:

Indeed, on the first day of Roddick’s pre-season training the American was due to work out with Hooten and other professional athletes. As Roddick had finished the season with a couple of nagging injuries to his groin and hamstring, Hooten had intended to ease the 28 year old into the programme with short sprints on a more forgiving grass surface.

Roddick, who will first compete in 2011 at the Brisbane International, was not interested in the softly, softly approach.

Recalls Hooten, “Andy whispered to me, ‘I don’t want to do a Plan B workout, I want to do today’s work out.’ I said ‘I don’t know, you’ve got to show me you can handle this so let’s build into it a little slowly.’ And he looked at me and said, ‘We’re not doing a %#@!!% Plan B workout.’ http://i30.tinypic.com/97nwr6.jpg

“So we started the workout and he was doing really well, and I was actually going to cut him short because if he’s not finishing the work out healthy then it doesn’t really matter. Andy looked at me and said, ‘You don’t win the %#@!!% Australian Open by cutting short your work outs.’” :boxing:

It is undoubtedly that sort of attitude and determination that has seen former World No. 1 Roddick succeed for so long at the top of the game. Despite suffering mononucleosis that set him back during the crunch stage of the season over the summer, Roddick still produced strong enough results to earn his place at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals for the eighth straight year. And the Texan firmly believed that had he not been ill, after his blistering start to the season, he could have finished in the Top 3 or 4 in the South African Airways 2010 ATP Rankings.

With that in mind, Team Roddick is treating victory at the Australian Open as a realistic target for the American and as such, the hard work began in earnest as soon as Roddick returned from London. “The planning and talking about it started the day that the season ended,” confirmed Roddick’s physio, Doug Spreen. “At that point he and Larry [Stefanki] had a chance to sit down and talk and go over a few things. Within a few days of getting back to Austin he was already starting to do some conditioning work and strength training, so it started up pretty quick.”

After the illness and injury problems of 2010, Spreen confirmed Roddick’s primary goal for the off season was to get healthy. “The goal coming out of December is that when you go down to Australia you want to feel good. The goal is to find a happy medium where you continue to do a lot of work to get yourself in shape, but at the same time you want to show up in Australia feeling healthy and hopefully a little bit rejuvenated.”

The No. 2 goal was to pay attention to the American’s body composition.

“As a power-speed athlete you have to be very lean and very strong,” explained Hooten. “So what we wanted to do was lose a few pounds of body fat and gain a few pounds in muscle tissue, so his body weight tends to stay around the same, but you change the body composition. By doing that you have a stronger athlete, a more explosive athlete, you have an athlete who can withstand the rigours of his sport.”

The tough regimen that Hooten devised has seen Roddick’s workout alternate between the track and the court. Track work involves explosive short sprints over 10-40 metres and longer sprints between 150-300 metres for speed endurance. Other exercises have involved the American doing sprints up a 50-60 metre hill on a 4-5 degree incline. On the court, Roddick has been doing short, explosive agility drills.

With Roddick’s late finish to the season there has not been much time to add specifics to his game. However, Hooten has been focusing on improving the American’s first step to chasing balls on the court, achieved by increasing Roddick’s lean muscle tissue and taking away his hesitation by making him as fit and supple as possible. “With the drills we’re doing lots of ply metric jumps, we do a lot of medicine ball throws for power and speed,” he explained.

Along with the physical training, Roddick has also been paying close attention to his diet — getting lots of fresh vegetables, lots of fresh fruit, very lean proteins, supplements of protein smoothies and eating frequent meals throughout the day — in the knowledge that consuming proper foods aids recovery by 50-75 per cent. http://i40.tinypic.com/1zwia.jpg

With the hard work done, Roddick will travel to Australia as a four-time former semi-finalist in Melbourne, with a wealth of major experience, and the confidence of feeling fit, healthy and strong. He should not be discounted as a serious contender.

Jade Fox
12-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Doesn't seem five minutes since last season ended :lol: I see he is wearing the new shoes :pcertainly won't lose them in the dark ;)

I want those shoes. That's probably the five year old in me talking. :lol:

Fumus
12-30-2010, 08:46 PM
If it he can bring it back to Spring 2010 form he'll have a great year.

Realistically I think this year and next will be his last shots at taking home another slam (or two?)

solowyn
12-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Some pics from practice with Steps in Brisbane, from tennis warehouse ;) Apparently Andy looked to be moving pretty well around the court.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_60dRxYPmN2Y/TR3O-4drkmI/AAAAAAAAAkk/VA_Gr9GcnO8/s1600/roddick1.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_60dRxYPmN2Y/TR3O_LP_e_I/AAAAAAAAAks/xeCGLUfB7eg/s1600/roddick2.jpg

andymo
01-01-2011, 04:58 PM
http://bangkokbobbysports.wordpress.com/2011/01/01/samantha-stosur-pledges-100-for-flood-victims-in-queensland-for-every-ace-she-hits-at-brisbane-international-andy-roddick-joins-pledge/

Kate87
01-01-2011, 06:00 PM
:wavey:Happy New Year Andyland!!! :hug: :bounce: :aparty:

let's start 2011 with amazing news...

:bowdown: :hearts:MANDY IS BACK!:hearts: :bowdown:

http://www.brisbaneinternational.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/MMDD-1.1.11.pdf

Deboogle!.
01-01-2011, 06:06 PM
:bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship:

OnyxRose
01-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Yay Mandy!!!

Roger the Dodger
01-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Jeez - such an empty forum. Its as though his fans deserted him.

Hope he makes it to the quarters with or without their support.

cobalt60
01-02-2011, 07:43 PM
:lol: Here's to a good year!

Winston's Human
01-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Jeez - such an empty forum. Its as though his fans deserted him.

Hope he makes it to the quarters with or without their support.

Andy's fans are here. We are just waiting for the action to start.

Deboogle!.
01-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Well Andy won his first match of the year :yeah:

But what a hot mess of an outfit :o :help:

OnyxRose
01-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Those shoes are atrocious. Good lord.

Roddick2k9
01-03-2011, 04:45 PM
I quite like the outfit. But I thought he will be changing the Lacoste kit due to it being a new season like fed and nadal. Maybe aussie open he will wear that new black Lacoste shirt that he was promoting the red shoes in on youtube. Here's to a successful title defence for A-Rod!!!!!

Raina
01-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Maybe aussie open he will wear that new black Lacoste shirt that he was promoting the red shoes in on youtube.

I had the same thought!:D

tsurupettan
01-03-2011, 07:28 PM
:lol: those shoes. maybe if he had a different shirt.

cobalt60
01-03-2011, 09:57 PM
At least he won; non color matching and all :lol: And I want no BS on court emotionally this year AR;)

Deboogle!.
01-04-2011, 12:13 AM
You really dont think that's an actual possibility, do you?:haha:

Winston's Human
01-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Loving those red shoes. Now we can really check out Andy's footwork.

Deboogle!.
01-04-2011, 02:09 PM
some highlights from the first round match.... the first point they show :tape:

sdr1YPMIQN4

arodfanpe666o
01-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Nothing new, a shity passive play by Andy again...

Kat!
01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Thought I'd post some pics over at this forum as well ;) Not many since I had to go & it's at the end of the album.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31535664@N03/sets/72157625620207895/

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5242/5323883210_1126c4b74a_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5168/5323883462_b5e78b0c2d_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5046/5323279031_c1a1cdbd47_b.jpg

Fumus
01-04-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm mos def getting those red shoes when they come out.

Roger the Dodger
01-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Andy's fans are here. We are just waiting for the action to start.

Wait, wait. It might be a long wait. :p

cobalt60
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
You really dont think that's an actual possibility, do you?:haha:

I always have hope :p But I am also realistic :rolls:

Bubble99
01-04-2011, 09:45 PM
I quite like his outfit, loving his red shoes. I hope he doesn't start wearing all white for a while, his colour taste is unbelievably dull

tangerine_dream
01-04-2011, 10:07 PM
I like this outfit, it's nice to see more than one or two colors on him. Thumbs up on the Red Shoes. Now he can click his heels three times and say "There's no place like Wimbledon..."

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=215889&d=1294069393

Deboogle!.
01-05-2011, 03:30 AM
Thanks Kat!!

Fee
01-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Gawd Mardy, don't be a moron. Take that stupid magnetic power bracelet off. Funny, you are in Australia, the country that forced the manufacturer to admit there is no science behind them and they don't do anything at all.

Kat!
01-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Gawd Mardy, don't be a moron. Take that stupid magnetic power bracelet off. Funny, you are in Australia, the country that forced the manufacturer to admit there is no science behind them and they don't do anything at all.

:haha: funny you mention that, since at the draw ceremony the reporters asked Mardy about the power bracelet and he said that it works for him, or whatever that means. Eerie silence after that answer. hmm.

Fee
01-05-2011, 08:00 PM
:haha: funny you mention that, since at the draw ceremony the reporters asked Mardy about the power bracelet and he said that it works for him, or whatever that means. Eerie silence after that answer. hmm.

What exactly does it do for him? Improve his balance by making his wallet lighter? ;)

straitup
01-06-2011, 06:26 AM
I like the red shoes, but a red shirt with that would look cooler IMO

Jade Fox
01-06-2011, 11:16 AM
What exactly does it do for him? Improve his balance by making his wallet lighter? ;)

Hey if it does that then it's not false advertising after all! :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad Andy's doing well. Keep it up hon!

arodfanpe666o
01-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Solid performance today. What bothers me is that he got broken again.

I don't know if you guys noticed it, but after the match point Andy was so fired up. I did'n see him like this for a long time.

Deboogle!.
01-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Surprised it was so easy but glad. not great he's gotten broken in every match so far but if he keeps winning easily, I guess it doesn't matter that much :lol:

Roddick2k9
01-06-2011, 02:44 PM
This was a test for Roddick. And he came through with flying colours but like what arodfanpe666o said, I too am just a little bit concern about the way he keeps dropping his serve. But a win is a win I suppose. I expect him to go onto the Finals now!!

OnyxRose
01-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Yeah, like everyone else I'm not happy he's getting broken so often now. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite him in the ass later on. But hopefully this means that he's getting a bit more agressive.

andymo
01-06-2011, 06:27 PM
“I felt good about pretty much everything tonight,” declared Roddick. “The conditions were a little heavier, which made it tougher to create and that’s probably why you saw a lot of break point opportunities; the serves weren’t jumping through. On the flip side my slice was staying down, and it was tough to create off of that. That won me a lot of baseline rallies tonight.”

ANDY EXPLAINS WHY THERE ARE SO MANY BREAKS.

Fumus
01-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Surprised it was so easy but glad. not great he's gotten broken in every match so far but if he keeps winning easily, I guess it doesn't matter that much :lol:

If it keeps playing this slow, I think that actually really helps Andy. Hopefully AO will be this humid and heavy too. Rooting for a back-to-back win at Brisbane.

arodfanpe666o
01-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Just watched the tape. Good he won, but if Andy plays like this in the final, Soderling is going to kill him. Just pushing the ball in play, he needs 90% first serve or something to succeed.

Heather1229
01-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Just watched the tape. Good he won, but if Andy plays like this in the final, Soderling is going to kill him. Just pushing the ball in play, he needs 90% first serve or something to succeed.

I beg to differ, I watched the whole match...thought he played pretty well and he lost focus in the 2nd after the fan fainted in the stands. He wasn't just pushing the ball into play either in the 3rd set he hit some pretty nice winners. Keep in mind he beat Soderling on a hard court at the height of his mono last summer.

tennismusiclover
01-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Hey guys! Does anyone have a good live stream for the final today? Thanks :)

Deboogle!.
01-08-2011, 09:55 PM
I must've seen a different match, andy was not impressive to me at all. Same old passive stuff way behind the baseline. He got lucky because Anderson happily obliged, especially in the third set DFing on both break points. Andy can't expect to have a shot at winning slams if he plays like this. and there's no reason to believe he's going to stop playing like this after the better part of the last 6-7 years :lol:

Heather1229
01-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Perhaps I was just delirious, Deb. It was about 2AM my time when I was watching the match so that may be what my issue was, haha!:)

Deboogle!.
01-09-2011, 02:52 AM
:lol: I mean, he didn't play badly, but he was definitely just waiting for Anderson to make mistakes. And Anderson obliged, but I don't think Sod will.

I think the best thing is that he seems to really want it badly, and that's always a good sign for him.

tangerine_dream
01-09-2011, 05:45 AM
http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/koala1.gif

Koala-Andy. http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/35.gif

Loved the tweets.....

@AdjustingTheNet Crowd clearly wants A-Rod to win. Zero reaction when Sod wins a pt. Rod survives several brk pts. to hold for 3-2. in 2nd. :cool:

@AdjustingTheNet A collective moan goes up as Sod breaks to go up 6-5 in 2nd set. :spit:

@AdjustingTheNet As A-Rod gets catcalls while changing shirt, wife Brooklyn gets a laugh. Commie says "she's seen him w/out his shirt before." I hope so... :angel:

@doinaanca Brisbane Director: "Congrats Robin, but we worship Andy"...HAHAHAHAH :haha:

arodfanpe666o
01-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Well, same old shit again. An in-form player steps in and Andy is out. Andy creates expectations, explaining how he is in shape and so on and so on and soon he gets beaten. I'm not saying that it is so bad to loose to Sod, but at least make it a fight. He should at least do that if he really considers himself a contender at Slams. Which he is not. You cant loose 5!!! consecutive matches against top 10 players and think you can win a Slam. And to win a Slam, you can not do it without beating these guys, and I don't think it is going to be easier against Rafa or Fed.

We all know he can beat Dolgopolov or Anderson or whoever he played this week before the final. He is experienced enough to make the finals of 250 event and, let's face it, he did not have a bad draw this week, did not meet a tricky player. The win, that would really mean something was the match against Sod. And he failed. Worse - Sod beats him convincingly. And I don't believe in Melbourne it will be different. He will get to quarters maybe, someone playing good will come and it will be over.

I promised myself to not care anymore after the shameful performance in London but I can't stop just like that. But I should.

Jade Fox
01-09-2011, 12:08 PM
http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/koala1.gif

Koala-Andy. http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/35.gif

Loved the tweets.....

@AdjustingTheNet Crowd clearly wants A-Rod to win. Zero reaction when Sod wins a pt. Rod survives several brk pts. to hold for 3-2. in 2nd. :cool:

@AdjustingTheNet A collective moan goes up as Sod breaks to go up 6-5 in 2nd set. :spit:

@AdjustingTheNet As A-Rod gets catcalls while changing shirt, wife Brooklyn gets a laugh. Commie says "she's seen him w/out his shirt before." I hope so... :angel:

@doinaanca Brisbane Director: "Congrats Robin, but we worship Andy"...HAHAHAHAH :haha:

You know, even though he lost and that's a major FAIL on his part, knowing Andy's popular virtually everywhere he goes always makes me :D .

Fumus
01-09-2011, 02:44 PM
It was a nice warmup and Andy got alot of matches in. Robin is a good player. Let's not overreact here though, the real tournament starts the 17th. It's good to see Andy healthy and playing semi-OK tennis.

Deboogle!.
01-09-2011, 03:02 PM
But Ryan the problem is that if you don't practice playing good strong aggressive tennis, you can't do it when you are in a big tight match in a slam. That's why we see him bumrush the net on horrible approach shots when he plays the top players in big matches.

Fumus
01-10-2011, 03:05 PM
But Ryan the problem is that if you don't practice playing good strong aggressive tennis, you can't do it when you are in a big tight match in a slam. That's why we see him bumrush the net on horrible approach shots when he plays the top players in big matches.

You'll never hear me argue against Andy playing aggressive tennis that said had he won this match and the title even playing the right way, I wouldn't feel any better or worse about his chances in Melbourne. This week was a good warm up and that's all it was. I hope to see his form improve at the AO where playing well actually counts, that's all I am saying. I've just seen it too often where guys have had great weeks or crappy ones and play totally different when it counts. Ya know?

andymo
01-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Andy can beat top 10 players. In 2010, Indian wells, he beat Soderling. In Miami, he beat Nadal and Berdych. In Cincinnati, he beat Soderling and Djokovic.

Deboogle!.
01-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Andy can beat top 10 players. In 2010, Indian wells, he beat Soderling. In Miami, he beat Nadal and Berdych. In Cincinnati, he beat Soderling and Djokovic.absolutely irrelevant if he doesn't win a slam, IMO. He has shown quite clearly that he cannot do it in a slam over 5 sets. So whatever. I don't think andy's OK with hovering around 8 in the rankings. He wants a slam but isn't doing what he needs to win one.

partygirl
01-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Really stepping out with the footwear this one:scratch:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02iz5Jw0hHe3r/x610.jpghttp://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05RngSj8Kd36S/x610.jpghttp://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dhceS1gPu22R/x610.jpg

Winston's Human
01-12-2011, 11:55 AM
I think I like these shoes even more than the red ones.

tsurupettan
01-12-2011, 04:09 PM
i like those shoes a lot more than the red ones. :lol: i also really like his shorts there.

Kate87
01-12-2011, 04:20 PM
and his shirt fits him. that's all i wanted to say. *faints*

Winston's Human
01-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Thumbs up on the shorts!

Fee
01-12-2011, 07:50 PM
No hair cuts in 2011 Andy, please let that bird fluff grow out.

partygirl
01-13-2011, 11:08 PM
that bird fluff.
:haha:

:rolls:

Heather1229
01-14-2011, 12:04 AM
So Andy landed in his favorite spot.......Roger's quarter of the draw.

Fee
01-14-2011, 12:19 AM
So Andy landed in his favorite spot.......Roger's quarter of the draw.

Sooooo tired of seeing that. Even more tired than the Nadal fans are of seeing Murray.

Heather1229
01-14-2011, 12:41 AM
On the brightside, other than the Roger factor his draw is not that bad at all.

hadouken!
01-14-2011, 12:52 AM
He's looking good and I love the shoes!

Deboogle!.
01-14-2011, 01:05 AM
:zzz:

arodfanpe666o
01-14-2011, 09:29 AM
So, the most Andy can do is defend his last year points. No way he can beat Roger, not in Australlia.

Heather1229
01-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Berdych of all people wasn't going to beat Fed at Wimbledon? Look it's why they play matches, nothing is set in stone. You never know. All I ask is that it's not a beatdown like he got in the Semis a couple of years ago. In fact all I really care about is that he makes it to the QF because he needs to maintain points, whatever happens from there is up to Andy.

arodfanpe666o
01-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Berdych of all people wasn't going to beat Fed at Wimbledon? Look it's why they play matches, nothing is set in stone. You never know. All I ask is that it's not a beatdown like he got in the Semis a couple of years ago. In fact all I really care about is that he makes it to the QF because he needs to maintain points, whatever happens from there is up to Andy.

Well, you never know, but we've seen enough Roger-Andy matches. Andy needs to be aboslutely at his best to make the match competative. They played twice in AO, in semifinals - 2007 and 2009 - Andy was playing well, and he still got a beatdown.

And at this point of his career, QF is nothing. He has played enough QFs. It's Slam or not. Here, though luck. Maybe at Wimbledon will be better.

OnyxRose
01-14-2011, 02:23 PM
I just want Andy to get as far as he can by playing how I know he can. Maybe Fed will get sick, whatever and end up not even making it all the way...not likely but this is tennis where anything happens. I'm not disappointed he's not getting a slam; I'm more disappointed that he's not playing anywhere close to where he needs to play in order to win that slam, except for Wimby 09.

Deboogle!.
01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
I just want Andy to get as far as he can by playing how I know he can. Maybe Fed will get sick, whatever and end up not even making it all the way...not likely but this is tennis where anything happens. I'm not disappointed he's not getting a slam; I'm more disappointed that he's not playing anywhere close to where he needs to play in order to win that slam, except for Wimby 09.YES. THIS.

tangerine_dream
01-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Maybe Gilles Simon will have another accident and beat Fed before he gets to Andy.

Otherwise this draw is :zzz: and I can't see anyone new winning this title. Same old, same old. :o

*edit*

Flashback to last year's Koala-Andy. ;)

L0veV4pR0MI

Fumus
01-15-2011, 06:31 PM
I just want Andy to get as far as he can by playing how I know he can. Maybe Fed will get sick, whatever and end up not even making it all the way...not likely but this is tennis where anything happens. I'm not disappointed he's not getting a slam; I'm more disappointed that he's not playing anywhere close to where he needs to play in order to win that slam, except for Wimby 09.

Well said. :)

elena_k
01-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Andy plays Jan Hajek in round 1 :sad:

Jan can play brilliant at times and he nearly beat Fish at US Open until he got injured. But it is rare he can keep it up for a long time so Andy should win in 3 sets. Jan has also just came back from injury and has not played for a while so this makes it easier for Andy.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2011, 03:11 AM
andy participating in rally for relief as expected :yeah:

cobalt60
01-16-2011, 04:12 AM
andy participating in rally for relief as expected :yeah:

Too boring without him; so for the sake of everyone he had to do it!! ;)
Honestly he and Nole should just go it alone. :p

Deboogle!.
01-16-2011, 04:28 AM
Honestly he and Nole should just go it alone. :pTrue ;) and yes I agree;)

andymo
01-16-2011, 04:30 AM
I agree. The only ones who are funny and have a sense of entertainement are Andy and Novak. The rest of them do not know what to do.Hewitt is cute but not that funny.

Fee
01-16-2011, 05:23 AM
Honestly he and Nole should just go it alone. :p

Agree, and Murray is actually pretty good with the physical comedy. He didn't say much but his grunting and his trick shots were fun. I think he likes to play off of Andy and Novak even if he's too shy to lead the way. I knew AndyR was going to shout out foot fault even before he sat down in the chair. Loved the way his Weekend at Bernie's joke went right over the head of half the audience.

<Eve>
01-16-2011, 09:20 AM
GL andy :yeah:

tsurupettan
01-16-2011, 03:04 PM
murray was pretty good out there. :lol: ia that he's better with the physical comedy. and of course novak and andy -- surprise, surprise -- were their usual charming selves out there. the girls weren't that bad, either (i thought ana and novak were pretty amusing together). i've only watched the first segment so far, though, but rafa and roger are usually amusing together and kim is fun, too -- last time i saw sam she was a bit awkward, hopefully she loosened up some this time.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2011, 05:31 PM
:rolls:

Fee
01-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Hopefully Andy just bought the owner of that hat a new one and didn't return it soaking wet with Andy sweat. He was pretty funny when he sat in the linesman chair and went on about how easy it was to call lines.

arodfanpe666o
01-17-2011, 06:25 AM
Andy just produced another performance playing like just a pusher. Well, I don't know how he thinks he will do something in this tournament playing like this.

It is just painfil to see that players twice smaller than Andy hit the ball twice harder...

cobalt60
01-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Did not watch it but I believe you :(

Question? Could his forehand change in tactic or whatever you want to call it have anything to do with his previous injuries? Any thoughts?

Deboogle!.
01-18-2011, 02:36 AM
who knows? I dunno if it has to do with the forehand specifically, but the way he's playing, he's having to work and run a lot harder to win matches, and that obviously causes injuries (see Exhibit A: Rafa). Plus Andy is just clumsy. Now they're saying he has changed his FH this season to hit it a little flatter. i did not notice the difference but ok if they say so :lol:

arodfanpe666o
01-18-2011, 09:37 AM
I don't think his forehand has something to do with injuries. Actually, in couple of matches per year, when he decides to hit it hard, he has one of the most powerful and fast forehands on tour. So it is his decision. And I agree with Deboogle, there is no difference this year. His forehand is the same.

Fumus
01-18-2011, 05:58 PM
who knows? I dunno if it has to do with the forehand specifically, but the way he's playing, he's having to work and run a lot harder to win matches, and that obviously causes injuries (see Exhibit A: Rafa). Plus Andy is just clumsy. Now they're saying he has changed his FH this season to hit it a little flatter. i did not notice the difference but ok if they say so :lol:

I think the commentators just like to talk about things. No one really knows why Andy changed up his game like he did. It's a mystery, even to those who follow tennis closely. It's just like one day he decided he was going to move away from the stuff that brought him all his success early in his career. It's not a loss of form/technique or anything like that; he didn't forgot how to hit the ball flat. It was a conscious decision made by Andy that he would out steady and outlast his opponents rather than take unnecessary risks.

Some experts like to say the power game has gone away and this switch was made to keep up with the competition. I disagree though, players are more powerful than ever with guys like Soderling, Tsonga, Del Potro, etc. I think it's been proven you can still win by hitting the ball hard and flat, over powering your opponent and going for winners. I don't know what goes on in Andy's head but for him to become relevant again it won't be a change in the forehand technique that will be required, it will require a change in mentality; from passive/defensive to aggressive/offensive.

arodfanpe666o
01-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Yes, Fumus is right. He made the best explanation.

I don't know about you, but I wonder why nobody asks him about it? He makes like hundreds of interviewes per year, and nobody asks him why he made such a drastic and dramatic change to his game. I'd absolutely love to see his own explanation.

Deboogle!.
01-19-2011, 03:38 AM
well andy managed to win but more of the same old shit.

OnyxRose
01-19-2011, 03:48 AM
Slice slice slice serve. The only set that wasn't as embarassing was the third set because he at least made some winners that weren't aces. It's frustrating because you can see a forehand wanting to come out and it just...doesn't. Andy's forehand was such a thing of beauty. His backhand has more power to it now so I don't get why he doesn't try to hit winners off that side now. The few times he tried, it worked, lol. He's such a tactics midget.

andymo
01-19-2011, 04:02 AM
Don't you realize that the opponent always plays on his backhand.He won in straights sets so he must be doing something right. It is the win that is important.

Deboogle!.
01-19-2011, 04:09 AM
Just b/c the opponent plays to his backhand doesn't mean Andy needs to slice 99.9% of them. Sure it's good to win but he's not doing anything that will prepare him for later rounds. He was getting out-winnered two to one by IGOR KUNITSYN. I mean come on

tsurupettan
01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
that slice was killing me. god. i wanted so bad to just shove him up on that baseline and have him do something more, but that's a normal feeling.

andymo
01-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Well, the great Federer had to play 5 sets to win vs chicken legs Gilles Simon, so what's wrong with that picture. Andy won in straight sets. Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.......Andy must do something right......haha

Deboogle!.
01-19-2011, 02:40 PM
No, he was lucky to have a much easier opponent. Andy was seriously lucky not to lose the first set last night.

OnyxRose
01-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Well, the great Federer had to play 5 sets to win vs chicken legs Gilles Simon, so what's wrong with that picture. Andy won in straight sets. Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.......Andy must do something right......haha

Simon is not Kunitsyn. If Gilles played to his potential, he was always going to give Roger fits as he has in the past. He's only ranked where he is because of his injury.

I was only kidding with the bh stuff but you don't see a problem with how Andy is playing? Even after Brisbane, where he was cruising against the lower ranked players but got destroyed by Soderling? I like your optimism but he's pretty much getting called out by everyone and everyone knows it's only a matter of time before he gets destroyed, if he doesn't step up and play more aggressively. It's like watching a car wreck in slow motion.

andymo
01-19-2011, 03:13 PM
He was in the final in Brisbane but he lost to #5 then and now #4......logic here. You prefer to listen to the has been and frustrated commentators instead of rejoicing when Andy wins. Andy is so lucky to have you as a fan, one who believes in him.

arodfanpe666o
01-19-2011, 03:15 PM
This AO reminds me of AO 2008. Than Andy was playing super passively again, and the first in-form player took him out (Kohlshreiber).

It is not that he lost to Soderling, it is the way he lost. He was completley destroyed. To just push the ball back in play in not enough against top players. And I don't think Andy in 250 event final is something to really cheer about. Well, c'mon, this is a normal thing. And he is way better than that. If he was not, me and other fans here would have not been so frustrated by his performances.

tangerine_dream
01-19-2011, 03:32 PM
I would classify that as a shit win.

Heather1229
01-19-2011, 03:48 PM
While the match was utter garbage, lucky is not the word in the first set...he was hitting his forehand much better and more aggresively in the third set. He just seemed flat from the get go and then the sun came out and he seemed to pick up momentum. As a side note..Kunitsyn took Andy to 4 sets at Wimbledon in the second round in 2009 and we all know what went on to happen there.

What pisses me off is that he knows what he needs to do to play agressively and he CAN do it when he wants to he's just cool with coasting along which does not make any sense because it doesn't jive with his work ethic.

Regarding Roger...of course he was going to sneek it out in the 5th. But this is exactly what happened at Wimbledon just a round later and he ended up going out in the QF soooo....Andy meets him in the QF and takes him out preserving his "every odd year at the AO making it to the semis streak!"

Winston's Human
01-19-2011, 05:52 PM
This AO reminds me of AO 2008. Than Andy was playing super passively again, and the first in-form player took him out (Kohlshreiber).

I had the same thoughts. Last night's match reminded me of Andy's match with Berrer in the AO 2008.

Deboogle!.
01-20-2011, 01:29 AM
Martina N is talking about Jankovic and how she's standing too far back and is playing too passively. To quote her she said that that kind of play "wins matches, but not slams." I think the exact thing applies to andy. sure, andymo, we can rejoice in every match andy wins. but Andy himself has made it inordinately clear he is not still on the tour just to win matches. he wants to win slams. he is NOT going to win a slam playing like this, I think that that's entirely clear and really not arguable at this point. If you really think Andy can win a slam playing this way I'm not sure what to tell you. But I would certainly like to see the evidence you have to back that up.

OnyxRose
01-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Martina N is talking about Jankovic and how she's standing too far back and is playing too passively. To quote her she said that that kind of play "wins matches, but not slams." I think the exact thing applies to andy. sure, andymo, we can rejoice in every match andy wins. but Andy himself has made it inordinately clear he is not still on the tour just to win matches. he wants to win slams. he is NOT going to win a slam playing like this, I think that that's entirely clear and really not arguable at this point. If you really think Andy can win a slam playing this way I'm not sure what to tell you. But I would certainly like to see the evidence you have to back that up.

Andy plays exactly like Jankovic, except he has the serve to back him up. You see where she is right now.

Deboogle!.
01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Andy plays exactly like Jankovic, except he has the serve to back him up. You see where she is right now.Yep, the fact that Kunitsyn was hitting literally double the groundstroke winners to Andy says quite a lot. What's funny is that one of the reasons Jelena is having so much trouble right now is because she's trying to be more aggressive. :lol:

A few tennis writer/tweeters are saying Haase has a really good chance to beat Andy today. Wish I could disagree with them.

arodfanpe666o
01-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Well, Haase is a good player. He is shotmaker and gave Nadal lots of trouble at Wimbledon. If he has a good day, Andy is in trouble.

Well, in the first part of 2006 Andy was actually agressive, I mean he was hitting more groundstroke winners. Or he was trying to...

OnyxRose
01-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Haase is a really good player who has just had bad luck with injuries. Andy needs to be on high alert.

Fee
01-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I'm seeing/fearing Kohlschreiber all over again. Someone hold me.

Please Andy, make me wrong. Make me very wrong.

Fee
01-21-2011, 04:45 AM
Yay happy to be wrong, sorry I didn't see any of the match.

Deboogle!.
01-21-2011, 04:49 AM
Haase turned his ankle in like the 2nd game of the match and started swinging for the fences and most of them went in, including a couple of truly ridiculous shots that left andy going :eek:. Andy was passive as usual, usually on top of the MELBOURNE thing on the court. Haase hit 2 DFs in the TB to throw it again and then andy could take control as Haase started having more physical problems and was clearly tiring.

It was good of Andy to keep trying and he did start playing better as the match went on, but I think he's lucky haase was hurt. he won't get much further in the tournament if he keeps going this way. Even his DAD wrote him an email that he was being too far back.

arodfanpe666o
01-21-2011, 08:11 AM
I wonder, because he plays like this like...every match, is this what he and Larry are talking. I'm starting to think this way.

tsurupettan
01-21-2011, 03:21 PM
i'm kind of glad i didn't see most of that match, i like how andy came back and eventually won (even though haase's injury played a decent part in it), but i watched most of the first set (close to the end of it) and i was just smh, even if it was just lucky shotmaking -- i was so happy to switch channels and watch the new bones instead. :lol:

i'm crossing my fingers for andy to at least get to roger, but i won't be surprised at all if stan takes him out.

Fumus
01-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Will the real Andy Roddick please stand-up?

arodfanpe666o
01-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Will the real Andy Roddick please stand-up?

Well, to beat Wawrinka, he has to.

Raina
01-21-2011, 05:43 PM
to be honest i don't think he has any chance to beat Wawrinka on Sunday if he keeps playing like the 3 rounds before!
andy please prove me wrong!!!

Winston's Human
01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Let's not forget that both of Wawrinka's victories over Andy came in retirements (2008 Rome & 2009 Shanghai) whereas Andy beat Wawrinka easily in Davis Cup in 2009.

Fumus
01-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Let's not forget that both of Wawrinka's victories over Andy came in retirements (2008 Rome & 2009 Shanghai) whereas Andy beat Wawrinka easily in Davis Cup in 2009.

Wawa struggles with big serves, his ROS of the fast ball isn't very good. I think he won't be able to get enough balls back if Andy serves well. I also think Stan isn't a shot maker, he'll try to rally with Andy...so I mean he's going to have alot of looks in every set.

This is all pointless anyways, if he wins he'll get Federer in the qrts. I don't think the surface is fast enough that he'll be able to use his serve to keep Federer at bay. GSM.

OnyxRose
01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Is it wrong of me to sorta kinda maybe want Stan to win, just because I don't want to see Andy lose to Fed yet again? :unsure:

cobalt60
01-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Saw the Wawa match and was duly impressed. If Andy plays passive and comes to the net at the wrong time as is his want lately then he will lose. Can a gal hope that his team scouts better?

partygirl
01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Is it wrong of me to sorta kinda maybe want Stan to win, just because I don't want to see Andy lose to Fed yet again? :unsure:Yes. :rolls::aplot:

OnyxRose
01-21-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm a bad fan.

Heather1229
01-21-2011, 08:34 PM
You all are worried about little old "baby-mama leaving" Stan? I think Andy's going to be just fine...4 sets, one tie break. Andy will beat the Swiss Davis Cup team on his way to claiming his first AO title, you heard it here first!

My New Year's resolution was to be more optimistic in general...how am I doing?:)

tsurupettan
01-21-2011, 09:21 PM
:rolls: good thing you tacked on that last line, i was thinking "guuurl, you crazy!"

Deboogle!.
01-21-2011, 10:35 PM
HAHA Before I saw the epilogue there I was going to ask what you'd been drinking :)

Deboogle!.
01-22-2011, 03:51 AM
oy, night match tomorrow :o

tsurupettan
01-22-2011, 04:28 AM
:tape:

crossin' my fingers like yeah. i'm not keen on the roger match if he wins, but i still want him to defend his points.

Heather1229
01-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Nervous for this match already.

Roddick2k9
01-22-2011, 10:10 PM
pumped for the match. No doubt in my mind that, that ball is going to get thumped by Andy from now on!!!

Deboogle!.
01-23-2011, 02:56 AM
you know it's dire when pmac is so harsh and says it's a 50-50 match "at best" for Andy.

Heather1229
01-23-2011, 03:00 AM
PMac's been anti-Andy all week. Now that he's no longer Davis Cup Captain he apparently feels like he can criticize. He thought Haase would beat Andy too. Perhaps he's pissed Andy committed to DC again after he left.

Deboogle!.
01-23-2011, 03:05 AM
Or maybe even he realizes the situation at this point :help: I think they'll always be friends, I can't imagine Pmac would start criticizing him b/c of that...

belco
01-23-2011, 03:30 AM
Or maybe even he realizes the situation at this point :help: I think they'll always be friends, I can't imagine Pmac would start criticizing him b/c of that...

:wavey:

Deboogle!.
01-23-2011, 04:32 AM
hey you! how's it goign?

OnyxRose
01-23-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't know how to feel guys.

Jade Fox
01-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Hey if there's one thing I've learned out of life is to never underestimate just how petty people can be. I mean yeah, I wasn't happy with the way Andy was playing during this tournament, but it wasn't completely dire.

And I'm not sure with the ESPN commentators it was really all about Andy either. They all seem mad and disappointed that the American players in general aren't creating any real damage on the tour these days.

I don't know how to feel guys.

It sucks but kinda expected. He tried to make something happen in the first set, but couldn't. Ugh. :(

Winston's Human
01-23-2011, 12:32 PM
The McEnroe brothers have been crapping on Andy for some time. Let's not forget that at the US Open, JMac predicted that there would be three Americans in the top ten at the end of the year and Andy would not be one of them.

I think PMac should be more worried that when Andy retires, the networks will salivate at the chance of dumping middling commentators like PMac for some one with Andy's natural charisma.

[I guess that it is never to early in the a.m. to be b****y]

tsurupettan
01-23-2011, 01:13 PM
:shrug: oh well. sucks, but... well, yeah.

not looking forward to seeing andy try and defend his iw/miami points.

arodfanpe666o
01-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Well, Andy Roddick make a statment last year. He said that he is going to play as long he feels he has a chance to win big tournaments. And as a fan, I was very proud of this statement.

Well, in the last three slams, without RG, he has not reached QFs. And the last time he was in SF was Wimbledon 2009. Too many loses like this. I see absolutely no chance for him to at least go deep in these tournaments. I really hope he thinks seriously about this. I mean, if he can't change anything, why bother playing. He has great career, has played enough, has nothing to proove. As a fan, it is painful to see him like that. I mean, Andy is losing to everybody. I am not a great tennis coach, not even close, but something has to be changed in his game. Otherwise, by the end of the year, he will be outside top 10 for sure, if not top 15.

He is slowly becoming like Hewitt or Safin. As a fan, I really hope that something will change. Otherwise, I hope this is his final year.

Kate87
01-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Andy Roddick 23.01.11
Sunday, 23 January, 2011

Q. Was there much you could do out there with him playing like that?

ANDY RODDICK: Could have served better. I didn't serve that well tonight. But he played great. He played really well. He played aggressive, and, yeah, he outplayed me tonight.

Q. Did you see the stats? He got on top of you pretty well winners to winners. You only had a couple breakpoints there. Talk about your overall feeling of the match. It was clear you were trying to fight to get back in, but it didn't seem like you could dominate many of the points.

ANDY RODDICK: Was that a question or a lot of statements back‑to‑back?

Q. Talk about the match in general. He hit a lot more winners than you, and I know it's important for you to dictate some of those points if you're going to beat a guy like that.

ANDY RODDICK: That was a statement again. Yeah, I mean, he outplayed me. He handled his balls getting to the court better than mine. He was working the lines really well. He was seeing it big tonight, and he hit it well.

Q. He's got Roger in the next round. Do you see him as a threat in that match the way he's playing?

ANDY RODDICK: Definite threat.

Q. Well, how did you see the match unfolding?

ANDY RODDICK: Obviously I would pick Roger. I think Stan is playing well, though. You know, it will be interesting. I think Roger is going to get into his second serve games a little bit more than I did tonight. I didn't have that many looks. But who knows? He's playing well, so we'll see.

Q. Last changeover you were in the chair shaking your head. What are you thinking at that time?

ANDY RODDICK: Matt touched on that. I was frustrated. Couldn't get the rallies to go my way. I was trying to stand up in the court and, you know, I just felt when I adjusted my positioning up in the court he was opening up the lines and making it a shorter line if that makes sense.
I didn't have the ability to run back. Conditions were colder, so slice wasn't really working. I wasn't able to get the ball to jump much, so a lot of the shots he hit were in his pocket and I was having a hard time getting it out of that zone.

Q. What in his game has improved since you played him in the Davis Cup match?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, it's completely different conditions: Indoors on a fast court and out here, cold and slow. That's probably the biggest difference between the two. He's confident now. It's a confidence game. He opened up the year with a win and, you know, he's kind of gone with it and been playing ‑‑ the court seems real big to him right now.

Q. There will be a lot said or written about the state of American tennis. What's your take on the situation?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, you said it there, didn't you?

Q. I want to know. Do you think American tennis can, come the next major, be contenders there?

ANDY RODDICK: At the French Open?

Q. French Open, Wimbledon, US Open?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, obviously I'm not going to sit here and ‑‑ you already have your story written, so it doesn't matter what I say here. You know, I mean, I ‑‑ obviously wasn't the showing that we wanted, you know, but I'm doing what I can.

Q. Do you get tired of carrying the weight? You're usually the last guy standing every slam, and that's been five, maybe six years of that now.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, it's tough. I remember last summer when I was catching all the heat for not having an American guy in the top 10 for the first time in 15 years. Didn't really make sense to me that I was the one taking heat when I was the only guy that had been there for the last six years. I didn't know how I was catching it for that one. If I hadn't been there, it would have been for the last whatever it was. So it's a responsibility that has great benefits, and it's hard sometimes as well. You know, the benefits for me have far outweighed the kind of downside of it. So I wouldn't change it. But obviously I ‑‑ for many reasons, you know, I would love to have guys there with me all the time.

Q. What do you take out of this slam? Will you go back and give it some deep reflection or just a couple things you want to tweak and change?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I don't think I would be fair answering that question before I talk with Larry and we discussed it. I'm sure he has his thoughts; I certainly have mine I'm glad I finished healthy. First tournament I've done that for a long time. But, you know, there's certainly some work to be done. I got to figure out in kind of slower conditions how I can impose myself on some of those guys.

Q. I guess to state the obvious, not having Serena around is kind of a big loss for U.S. tennis.

ANDY RODDICK: Not having the best player in the world at a major would be a, yeah, would be tough for any country. Obviously we want her healthy as much as possible. You know, she's instantly the best player in the game when she comes back. Hopefully that will be soon.

Q. What do you think is Stan's biggest weapon or what Roger has to look for?

ANDY RODDICK: He knows what to look for. I'm sure they know each other well. When Stan's on, he's able to hit a big ball. It's almost better when the conditions are slower. His swings are big, but he has time to time them and switch directions. You know, so it'll be interesting to see how Roger counters that. Roger is better playing forward than I normally am, also. So he'll be able to impose himself on Stan a little bit more probably.

Q. You going to relax and watch the NFL playoffs tomorrow?

ANDY RODDICK: I'm going to try and find a flight tomorrow morning.

Heather1229
01-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I just hate that he keeps proving the naysayers right. Stan totally outplayed him today, Roger for sure better watch out, since he has not been all that spectacular.

The Wimbledon final has certainly had lasting effects there is no doubt about it. To completly retool your game, make it to the final of the tournament you want the most and lose in the most gut wrenching fashion, has to have some severe effects. The calls to retire are bogus, he's still ranked in the top 10 and has been for nine years, he has to be doing something right and I don't think he's ready to give it up yet and why should he? Does he need to do some serious soul searching? Absolutely.

arodfanpe666o
01-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I wonder something. Why anybody in the pressconference ask him why he did not want to play?

The thing I've always admired about Roddick is that he always gives 100%. Yes, somethimes the oponents are better, but he leaves everything on the court. Fights untill the end. I believe it is not only me to admire this.

You can't tell me he fought in this match. He didn't care. He did not want to play. He had opportunities and he did not even try. Maybe he has some personal problems, we don't knows. If Andy had given 100%, if he had fought, there is no way he loses, at least not like that. I really hope this has nothing to do with tenns. Because if he don't have motivation anymore, there is no sense to continue.

andymo
01-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Do you really believe what you are saying ? Andy did not want to play.....silly. He was outplayed, plain and simple. Andy said it himself in his interview.It is just like when he wins, the other guy has no answer. When other players lose, they do not get shit like that and they are not asked to retire. Andy is still in the top #10 and he is the one who will decide if he retires or not.Stupid fans.

Kate87
01-23-2011, 03:17 PM
I agree that in the third set except for the last few games it really looked like he stopped trying/caring. He was outplayed yes, there's no doubt about that but he has the ability to outplay someone like Wawrinka, too. Sadly there's something in his head that stops him from playing aggressive tennis. He's capable of beating even this Wawa in straights if he's shortening the points and IS NOT PLAYING TO HIS DEADLY BACKHAND. But he didn't do that. Yes, he rushed to the net again and again but he should know that his/this opponent can pass him any time so his volleys can't be half-assed volleys...but most of them were. And you really think that every time Andy wins the other guy has no answer? Really? Like Haase didn't beat himself at all, right? (Obviously Andy easily won the 3rd and 4th sets after his opponent collapsed mentally.) Or all the guys whom he beat in the past few years by being lucky? (I'm not saying all of his matches were decided by luck but you seriously cannot believe that every time he wins he outplays his opponent they way Wawa did today). Oh and don't worry, the other players get shit like that, too and they are sometimes asked to retire even by their fans. I have friends who have their own favorite players and get angry like that sometimes. (they are probably bad fans, too) Especially after an embarassing loss like Andy's today. In my opinion that doesn't mean someone isn't a fan anymore, it's just the frustration talking. Knowing what he can do and seeing what he is doing on the court frustrates most of us. Looking at his performance today, in this mental state and with this game plan I don't know how you can see him beating the top guys and as far as I know that is required to do if you want to win something big. So I think even faithful fans have the right to lose hope sometimes.

And please stop calling people stupid for having an opinion. I'm sure there are people who don't agree with everything you say here and still don't call you stupid. Thanks.

cobalt60
01-23-2011, 03:59 PM
He does not have a good game plan anymore. Same as last year it seems to me. He has to get a better ratio of aggression to defense and figure out better when and where to change his style up depending on who he is playing. Shame really. I don't think he wants or can change it at the moment. Does not bode well for the rest of the year.

tsurupettan
01-23-2011, 04:29 PM
many other players do receive criticism along with heated, flippant insults/statements when they lose (and who they lose to) -- whether it's more or less justifiable compared to x or y player, who knows, but it does happen and on a frequent basis at that.

personally, i like it when fans are able to be critical and objective, even to those they like and don't like. at times it may be harsh and not what someone wants to hear (even themselves), but i don't think there's anything wrong with having more realistic expectations. and in that same vein, i don't think it's bad to have an optimistic one, either. it's nice to have a healthy balance and not delve too wildly into either extreme seriously.

Deboogle!.
01-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Besides a big :bowdown: for Kate, the only thing I really have to say is that I'm very glad I didn't see one iota of the match.

Also, if we didn't think andy was capable, we wouldn't care so much. It's tough love.

Winston's Human
01-23-2011, 05:39 PM
I watched the entire match. I did not get the "don't care" feeling from Andy's play. Having watched enough Blake or Querrey matches, the "don't care" feeling is normally painfully obvious.

In this match, Andy just seemed flummoxed by Stan's effectiveness. I felt that he was trying to get it deeper but the conditions were slowing his shots, which in turn gave Stan the opportunity to hit a better shot. In the heat of the day, this match would have been different.

I was pleased that Andy called out the press about blaming him alone for lack of American presence in the top 10 when he has been the main standard-bearer since Andre retired. Good on him!

Deboogle!.
01-23-2011, 05:45 PM
In the heat of the day, this match would have been different.but why? The conditions were the same for Stan, but he was able to hit umpteen winners. as andy said, he needs to find a way to be effective in any condition. It's still a HC, where he used to feel comfortable no matter what. He's done well in Miami many times over, which often puts him on at night in slow, humid conditions on a very similar kind of court. I don't get it. now he's using conditions as an excuse for his pushing style of play. Maybe Stan would've won the match no matter what, but Andy seriously needs to re-examine the way he's playing. With IW and miami coming up, he has almost all of his points to defend. Something's gotta happen, and fast.

Raina
01-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Later near the locker room, he sat on the floor, legs extended, in silence.

i think you can say he played badly,
but you can't say he doesn't care.
and i want to say,
actually today he played much better than he did at last 3 rounds,
but still far away from the stardard that he should have had!

partygirl
01-23-2011, 06:09 PM
I did not watch the match but he looks demented in the photos. :scared:

Heather1229
I think it's perhaps time for a coaching change in the Roddick camp.

Deboogle!.
I think it's easy to mistake a resigned appearance to one of not caring. it sounds to me (again havent seen it and not pretending i did) that he was pretty early on resigned to the fact that he couldn't win. Doesn't mean he didnt care or try his best. i think I can speak for most of us that we would be completely done with him if he didn't care. who would knowingly waste their time supporting an athlete they didn't think cared? It's funny, I first started to like Andy because of his game, back in 2003 when he fearlessly went for every shot. Now I can't really stand his game at all but I keep supporting him because of who he is as a person and that's why I can't give up no matter how much his play frustrates me.

Heather, who out there is better than larry? he's had some of the best possible coaches in the game. The coach can't go out there and play for him. We know from things Larry has said that he has a good, aggressive mentality and that's how he wants andy to play. A new coach wouldn't be able to make Andy play any better. No other coach has. Andy's stubborn and I don't think a new coach will fix that.

Heather1229
01-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Just offering my two cents, Deb, haha. Honestly though I can't think of anything else that would change this up. Andy's such a blockhead sometimes. It's as if he totally enjoys running full speed ahead into a brick wall over and over again and then after it happens he says "I didn't know it was there."

I agree, I can't quit him either.

arodfanpe666o
01-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Well, it is only my opinion. I'm saying it again, maybe he has some kind of personal problems, who knows!? Deboogle, watch the match, the tape. You will see him leaving balls passing him. He didn't even chase every ball. He did not seem pumped up at all. Somethimes he had 15-30, 0-30, not a single "come on!" or fist pump. Just to show Stan that he is not out. He did not even broke a raquet or get angry ot something like that. Andy was as lethargic as ever. He had opportunities even in the 3rd set, I got the impression that he did not want to convert.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Deboogle!.
01-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Just offering my two cents, Deb, haha. Honestly though I can't think of anything else that would change this up. Andy's such a blockhead sometimes. It's as if he totally enjoys running full speed ahead into a brick wall over and over again and then after it happens he says "I didn't know it was there."

I agree, I can't quit him either.oh totally, I wish changing coaches would help him. We've talked about how great it would be for him to see a sports psychologist for YEARS I feel like. it's frustrating. But I also understand how it feels to be in a situation where you know you need to make changes but don't feel like you can. It's easy for us to sit here and say stuff and i know i'm guilty of it myself, but i'm kind of the same as Andy in a lot of ways. I know there are things I need to do to better my life and for various reasons/excuses I have a hard time getting myself to do it. doesn't make it any less frustrating for us.

Well, it is only my opinion. I'm saying it again, maybe he has some kind of personal problems, who knows!? Deboogle, watch the match, the tape. You will see him leaving balls passing him. He didn't even chase every ball. He did not seem pumped up at all. Somethimes he had 15-30, 0-30, not a single "come on!" or fist pump. Just to show Stan that he is not out. He did not even broke a raquet or get angry ot something like that. Andy was as lethargic as ever. He had opportunities even in the 3rd set, I got the impression that he did not want to convert.

Again, this is just my opinion.Oh it's not that I don't believe you, but like you said maybe there is something else going on that we don't know about. or again maybe he just didn't think he could do it for some reason. Who knows, who knows.

Heather1229
01-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Honestly, it had to do with completly getting outclassed shot for shot. After the first set when he had to work so hard to hold serve and then lost it he was totally deflated. In reality he had 0-30 maybe twice the entire match, not much you can do there. When he is not comfortable with his best shot ie. the serve, then nothing else goes right for him, happens everytime. Plus he leaves balls all the time, it's one of the most frustrating things about being an Andy fan so that is nothing new. He didn't get angry because there was nothing to get angry about, sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say too good which is exactly what happened.

I do tend to wonder about the personal aspect as well. It can't be easy being a part of a "celebrity couple." Not to mention Brooklyn's career is taking off and Andy is going to have to go into career reevaluation mode. Please don't misunderstand me, I love Brooklyn and think she's great and has been great for him but at the same time he doesn't like the media attention in his personal life and the papparazzi and Brook's about to roll out her new movie..who knows.

Heather1229
01-23-2011, 06:39 PM
oh totally, I wish changing coaches would help him. We've talked about how great it would be for him to see a sports psychologist for YEARS I feel like. it's frustrating. But I also understand how it feels to be in a situation where you know you need to make changes but don't feel like you can. It's easy for us to sit here and say stuff and i know i'm guilty of it myself, but i'm kind of the same as Andy in a lot of ways. I know there are things I need to do to better my life and for various reasons/excuses I have a hard time getting myself to do it. doesn't make it any less frustrating for us.

100% Agreed. :) If it was easy to change a mindset, we all would do it.

andymo
01-23-2011, 06:42 PM
I still say it is between the ears. maybe, Andy does not realize this....seeking help for his mental fitness would be good for him. He worked hard for his physical fitness and the backhand, the volleys, he forgot the mental.....I hope he is not feeling too badly...poor Andy. It makes me sad.

heya
01-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Well, Andy Roddick make a statment last year. He said that he is going to play as long he feels he has a chance to win big tournaments. And as a fan, I was very proud of this statement.

Well, in the last three slams, without RG, he has not reached QFs. And the last time he was in SF was Wimbledon 2009. Too many loses like this. I see absolutely no chance for him to at least go deep in these tournaments. I really hope he thinks seriously about this. I mean, if he can't change anything, why bother playing. He has great career, has played enough, has nothing to proove. As a fan, it is painful to see him like that. I mean, Andy is losing to everybody. I am not a great tennis coach, not even close, but something has to be changed in his game. Otherwise, by the end of the year, he will be outside top 10 for sure, if not top 15.

He is slowly becoming like Hewitt or Safin. As a fan, I really hope that something will change. Otherwise, I hope this is his final year.

I agree. He never really believed in working to get to the top. He became very shallow outside of tennis, so tennis is nothing.
He's buying a mansion. It's obvious where his sense of security & passion are. He knows it's too late to train his mind & body again because
- no one in his family bothered to tell him to change.
The Roddicks enjoyed the money, Davis Cup with the useless, 2-faced bitch idiot Pat McEnroe....and the charity events were great ways to escape tennis. Punishment & humiliation are nothing to him; he was taught that bullshit.

- he was self-abusive & constantly embarrassing himself in public with his
'I don't play top 4 tennis' nonsense.
He, as a result, choked in big matches. He always gave the 'Federer is genius excuse'.

tennisrocks123
01-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Eeeeek, since the '09 Wimbledon Final, Andy has only made it past the first week 1/6 slams...

AUS: 4th Round (Wawrinka)

US: 2nd Round (Tipsarevic)
Wimbledon: 4th Round (Lu)
French: 3rd Round (Gabashvili)
AUS: Quarter Final (Cilic)

US: 3rd Round (Isner)
Wimbledon: Final (Federer)
French: 4th Round (Monfils)
AUS: Semi Final (Federer)

US: Quarter Final (Djokovic)
Wimbledon: 2nd Round (Tipsarevic)
French: ---
AUS: 3rd Round (Kohlschreiber)

[

OnyxRose
01-24-2011, 12:38 AM
As much as I'm po'd at Andy, I do still feel for him, especially with the way everyone is basically laying the decline of American tennis at his feet. When he and the Williams retire, it's going to be even bleaker and you can see it with Andy sucking and the WS injured. Sam is the epitome of not caring and John is really where he is supposed to be. He's not top 10 material, in my eyes. Jury is still out on Harrison but I think the next American great is someone who isn't known yet. I guess what's making everyone upset is not that Andy lost but how he's losing. He just needs to forget about everything and just go for his shots. He's at the end and I think he just finally resigned himself to that fact this week. He has nothing to lose by just going for it. The way he's playing now isn't doing anything for him except causing frustration and earlier exits at tournaments.

partygirl
01-24-2011, 04:10 AM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=216214&stc=1&d=1295842181

Exactly.

arodfanpe666o
01-24-2011, 09:04 AM
I guess what's making everyone upset is not that Andy lost but how he's losing. He just needs to forget about everything and just go for his shots. He's at the end and I think he just finally resigned himself to that fact this week. He has nothing to lose by just going for it. The way he's playing now isn't doing anything for him except causing frustration and earlier exits at tournaments.

You are absolutely right.

It feels like the first half of 2006. Maybe it is too early for such a statement, but stil...The thing is, Andy is not 23 anymore. I can't see something chancge. And I can't see who is going to play the role Jimmy played in Andy career back then.

Kate87
01-24-2011, 01:59 PM
adfghjklkjhgfdsa this article is made of win. :bowdown: :bigcry:

Where Have You Gone, Andy Roddick?
By Greg Couch

MELBOURNE, Australia – Andy Roddick has been coached to death. He is a wild animal who, trying to get a little control of himself, has allowed himself to be trained into a house pet. Sit Andy, sit.
Roddick’s career doesn’t have to be over. All of his skills are still there, and he has even added some. But he doesn’t contend in the majors anymore, and doesn’t even reach the quarterfinals.

“Conditions were colder, so slice wasn’t really working,” he said Sunday after losing to Stanislas Wawrinka 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 in the fourth round of the Australian Open. “I wasn’t able to get the ball to jump much, so a lot of the shots he hit were in his pocket and…”

Oh my God. If this is the new and improved Andy Roddick, then I liked him better the old way, when he was the dumbest tennis player on earth. The guy has a 140 mph serve and he’s talking about cold weather and slice?

Well, Roddick is out, as is every American player, man or woman. Or in Roddick’s case, puppy.

This is all wrong. Roddick isn’t just losing every important match. Roddick has lost Roddick.

At one point, he had a presence. He fought to the death, had a loud persona on court, crushed the ball. He was your All-American tennis player, with passion overwhelming thoughts.

Now, he powderpuffs his forehand, keeps his backhand in play, waits for his opponent to miss.

In tennis terms, he is a dinker.

It doesn’t work. He bashes his massive serve, and if it’s an ace, then great, point over. That’s what people see of him. But when his serve is returned, it usually is floated back short and soft, setting Roddick up to bash a forehand and bully his opponent.

Instead, he steps and loops a soft, spinny forehand, immediately handing back control of a point.

Why?

Wawrinka played him the way any good player will. He moved in on the return to cut off angles on Roddick’s serve. Then, he just bunted back his return. There was no pressure on him to do more.

I was one of the early ones to complain about Roddick’s dumb tennis. First time I saw him in person, he lost to Pete Sampras in the U.S. Open. It was supposed to be a torch-passing from old guy to young.

Then Sampras rolled Roddick, who stayed 15 feet behind the baseline and never… changed… one… thing while he got crushed.

Eventually, the cries came from everywhere for him to actually develop a game plan, not to mention a backhand. He has gone through years of different coaches, and non-coaches and stubbornness. He finally landed on Larry Stefanki, who helped to reinvent a thinner, fitter Roddick with good footwork, a decent backhand and an ability to mix things up some.

Roddick nearly beat Roger Federer in a classic Wimbledon final. Remember? He has reached just one quarterfinal in a major since then.

Let me start a new cry. Stop thinking, Andy. Swing as hard as you can on your forehand.

And stop taking that big, looping, flipping backswing to get spin. Pull the racquet back, then drive through the ball, the way you did when you beat Rafael Nadal in Miami last year.

Since then, Roddick went into a match at the French Open totally defeated, assuming he was going to lose. At Wimbledon, he couldn’t put away a nobody in the fifth set. At the U.S. Open, he lost to Janko Tipsarevic, berating and bullying a line judge for correctly calling a footfault on him, but accidentally identifying the wrong foot.

Tipsarevic noted that Roddick’s forehand used to scare people.

What sort of fear did Wawrinka have about that forehand? Before the match, he was practicing with his left hand. Was it some sort of defensive posture?

“I’m practicing a little bit because I make a bet with a friend in the summer,” Wawrinka said. “I need to play a match against him with my left hand, so that’s why I’m practicing every day.”

Roll over, Andy. Roll over.

The debate about Roddick has still not been decided. Has he overachieved, spending a decade in the top 10 without a ton of talent? Or is he an underachiever, winning a major and then climbing to No. 1, briefly, when he was young then never winning another major again?

I go with the second one. He never built on his talent, as the top tier of talent, Roger Federer and Nadal established a higher level of Tier 1.

Now, Roddick is not a threat in majors to Tier 1, and not even to the top challengers, Tier 2.

Roddick is 28, ranked No. 8, and in Tier 3 and falling. And he’s worried about his inability to hit his slice.

He has taken the blame for all that is wrong with American tennis. That’s because he hasn’t lived up to Sampras and Andre Agassi. Give him this, though: He’s the only American man good enough to get himself into position to be criticized.

Honestly, I don’t know if he has the fortitude to win another major no matter what he does. But I’m positive he can’t out-think Federer and can’t out-rally Nadal.

Either Stefanki has taken this project way too far or Roddick is ignoring him. We can’t know for sure.

But here’s to hoping that he doesn’t just let his career wind down this way. Next time someone tells him to sit, he should show his teeth again and bite someone’s hand off. If that doesn’t work, well, at least he takes some flesh with him.

http://tennis.fanhouse.com/2011/01/24/where-have-you-gone-andy-roddick/

tsurupettan
01-24-2011, 06:26 PM
that article was spot-on. mfte.

Oh my God. If this is the new and improved Andy Roddick, then I liked him better the old way, when he was the dumbest tennis player on earth.

:spit:

partygirl
01-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Truth.

arodfanpe666o
01-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Great article, 200% true. But it is not the first. It is not going to change anything.

Deboogle!.
01-25-2011, 12:40 AM
sigh

Jade Fox
01-25-2011, 09:09 AM
That article is all too true.

And I'm even more annoyed now that I saw the shitastic play Stan displayed against Roger. :rolleyes:

Bagelicious
01-25-2011, 09:52 AM
That article is so true!

I guess what's making everyone upset is not that Andy lost but how he's losing. He just needs to forget about everything and just go for his shots. He's at the end and I think he just finally resigned himself to that fact this week.

QFT. Stan was playing well, but mostly because Andy was letting him. I kept waiting for him to step up from the baseline, or realise that Wawrinka was only blocking his serves back, but he didn't. He kind of just went away for a little bit and then showed some fire at the very end, when it wasn't enough.

And then Stan did the same thing against Roger today, except worse. Argh.

OnyxRose
01-25-2011, 04:59 PM
That article is brilliant. I seriously was :retard: when I was watching Fed/Wawa. Andy makes everyone look good and then you find out what an illusion it all is when they get ripped apart the next round.

heya
01-26-2011, 08:06 AM
He didn't really care when he played the 2004 Australian Open.
He just obsessed about money & superficial crap.
Jimmy Connors already said Andy was an old dog that couldn't learn in 2008.
Rodd's emotion control & intellect declined 6 years ago.
He should've retired 5 years ago. Puppies are smarter.

Fumus
01-26-2011, 11:30 AM
That's a great article Kate!

Fee
01-26-2011, 10:59 PM
I didn't see much of this match at all, but for some reason it reminds me of the Wimbledon match he lost to Gasquet - as in, oh he's killing me with his backhand, so I'll keep hitting there. I don't understand why/how he gets into that thought pattern, but it makes me want to grab him by the shoulders and shake him vigorously (which of course, he would hardly feel at all).

cobalt60
01-26-2011, 11:21 PM
I didn't see much of this match at all, but for some reason it reminds me of the Wimbledon match he lost to Gasquet - as in, oh he's killing me with his backhand, so I'll keep hitting there. I don't understand why/how he gets into that thought pattern, but it makes me want to grab him by the shoulders and shake him vigorously (which of course, he would hardly feel at all).

Baby shaking is a crime though;)

Fee
01-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Baby shaking is a crime though;)

but burly man-athlete shaking is not. Seriously, picture me trying to shake Andy, it's funny. I'd have better luck shaking an oak tree. :)

partygirl
01-27-2011, 02:14 AM
Re-watching parts of Andy's 2003 Australian open matches. So different, yet so good.

Right now he is playing like its his job.
I want to see him to play like he loves it ...before it is too late.:awww:
Seems there is no happiness just to be there, at all.
It ends up every match is a dodged bullet or pitiful/astounding loss.

Nishy
01-27-2011, 06:35 AM
Re-watching parts of Andy's 2003 Australian open matches. So different, yet so good.

Right now he is playing like its his job.
I want to see him to play like he loves it ...before it is too late.:awww:
Seems there is no happiness just to be there, at all.
It ends up every match is a dodged bullet or pitiful/astounding loss.

it is sad to see him no happiness play right now.

Yes I really want to see Andy play like 2003 the old good day.

partygirl
01-27-2011, 09:45 AM
I just really don't want him to have to retire and comeback to find it...

Heather1229
01-27-2011, 02:06 PM
As much as I like Novak, I'm going to be really sad if he gets his second slam before Andy.....

That being said, go Andy Murray! :)

OnyxRose
01-27-2011, 03:50 PM
It will be sad but I just can't root for Murray. I like Novak too much and it's inevitable that he was going to be in a situation where he can get his second slam. Might as well do it sooner than later (like the Band-Aid analogy).

arodfanpe666o
01-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Well, it was going to happen sooner or later. Novak is waaay more solid than Andy in Slams in recent year an a half. Andy deserves more slams, but he is not putting himself into position to win them. At least for now.

partygirl
01-28-2011, 06:33 AM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=216289&stc=1&d=1296196375

tangerine_dream
01-28-2011, 04:53 PM
I know some Roddick fans are upset that Djokovic might win his second slam before Andy does but personally I am excited about the Muzzole final. It's nice to have a Fedal-free final for once, even though I would've loved to see Rafa get his Rafa slam. Definitely rooting for Novak to win, I don't think his winning a second slam has any bearing on Roddick. Who knows maybe Novak winning will inspire Andy? :shrug:

Winston's Human
01-28-2011, 05:53 PM
I know some Roddick fans are upset that Djokovic might win his second slam before Andy does but personally I am excited about the Muzzole final. It's nice to have a Fedal-free final for once, even though I would've loved to see Rafa get his Rafa slam. Definitely rooting for Novak to win, I don't think his winning a second slam has any bearing on Roddick. Who knows maybe Novak winning will inspire Andy? :shrug:

I agree. I too will be rooting for Novak.

cobalt60
01-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Make that 3 :yeah: One can't compare Andy to Nole- very different games and styles.

OnyxRose
01-28-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm rooting for Nole but would not be upset if Murray won. I think this is the happiest I've been for a final in the longest time. Andy's play as of late doesn't warrant a second major so I don't care if Novak gets a second before he does--he has to play like he wants it (Wimby still makes me sad).