Del Potro Is Back 2011 RESULTS IN FIRST POST [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Del Potro Is Back 2011 RESULTS IN FIRST POST

Pages : 1 [2]

Elbarto
02-20-2011, 12:54 AM
he will be ranked top 164~165

krentak
02-20-2011, 10:14 AM
I am also disappointed for the defeat, mostly for the way in which it occurred, given that Roddick won quite easily. But remember that Delpo is still very far from his best form and a similar period was widely expected. It would be worrying if he will be still at this level in a few months, but for now the results are absolutely acceptable.

Ibracadabra
02-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Dunno why you guys are so disappointed. If someone told me he'd be reaching back to back semi finals in a 250 then 500 so early in the comeback i would have been over the moon.

vn01
02-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Dunno why you guys are so disappointed. If someone told me he'd be reaching back to back semi finals in a 250 then 500 so early in the comeback i would have been over the moon.

This :)

Deuce24
02-20-2011, 04:43 PM

You're right it has been positive results no doubt, but this match in itself was disappointing however because he played awful, not nearly the level he had played earlier in the week but all things considered its been a very positive two weeks for him. If he keeps on improving as much as he did when he first came back to now he will be back to his past form very soon.

The one area that really jumps out is his serve because its not anywhere near the level it was in 09, he must regain that in order to be back at the level he was once at so that is an area to look at for sure to see if he keeps on improving there.

locyka19
02-22-2011, 10:06 PM
what do you think: will he win a title this year? I think 1 or 2.Hope so.

Elbarto
02-22-2011, 11:13 PM
maybe Delray Beach, Los Angeles and Washington

dombrfc
02-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Routined Berankis.

Delray Beack looking winnable.

Vamos Juan Martinnnnnnnn!

Elbarto
02-23-2011, 01:25 AM
easy win for Del Potro against Berankis : 6-4, 6-1

next opponent : Gabashvili

if he is healthy he can win Delray Beach, a very good draw for Del Potro

Ibracadabra
02-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Once again everyone getting carried away about potential titles.

Elbarto
02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
check the draw, it's a mickey mouse draw for Del Potro :

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2011/499/mds.pdf

Del Potro plays like a decent top 20 player since San Jose, there is no top 10/15 player in the draw --> a huge opportunity to get a title and take 250 ATP points

vn01
02-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Pretty solid from Del Potro. Next comes Gabashvili. VAMOS DEL POTRO!!! :worship:

smitty8
02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
I looked at the H2H on the ATP site and they say they've only played once, but I could've sworn he's played Gaba at least 3 times. :scratch: Unless my old brain cells are wrong, I thought the first match I saw him play was against Gaba in Washington, oh, 4 years ago I think. I only saw a few games and left, I was being very ADD that year and going from one match to the other.

I think this tourney is definitely winable. All the players I wanted to see have withdrawn or lost already except Juan and Tipsy. It looks more like a challenger to me. :shrug: *edit: except my tickets cost a hell of a lot more than I pay for a challenger!

locyka19
02-23-2011, 07:33 PM
what do you think? Is he able to make quarters in Miami?

Elbarto
02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
it's difficult to give an answer, Del Potro seems to play like a top 20 player ( a good thing ) , with a good draw at Miami without top 10 players in the first rounds I think he can reach quarters,

but he needs to improve his serve, yesterday against Berankis his serve was not excellent ( he faced 8 break points, Berankis managed to break him once )

vn01
02-23-2011, 08:59 PM
what do you think? Is he able to make quarters in Miami?

I will be happy if he reaches R3 in Indian Wells and R4 in Miami, but even is he records one win in Indian Wells and one in Miami, it'd be OK. He did more than expected in San Jose and Memphis and now, if he wins Delray Beach, his season will have started excellent. I think, we should concentrate on Delray Beach and then will think about the two AMS tournaments. ;)

locyka19
02-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Absolutely agree. He has to patient. Ranking wise, I think he will crack top 80 by the end of Indian Wells.Hope his wrist won't hurt during the clay court season.

cobalt60
02-23-2011, 10:10 PM
I looked at the H2H on the ATP site and they say they've only played once, but I could've sworn he's played Gaba at least 3 times. :scratch: Unless my old brain cells are wrong, I thought the first match I saw him play was against Gaba in Washington, oh, 4 years ago I think. I only saw a few games and left, I was being very ADD that year and going from one match to the other.

I think this tourney is definitely winable. All the players I wanted to see have withdrawn or lost already except Juan and Tipsy. It looks more like a challenger to me. :shrug: *edit: except my tickets cost a hell of a lot more than I pay for a challenger!

I do that all the time at tournaments :lol: Hate sitting for long periods of time; my old body cells can't deal with it;)

BOL JMDP!

smitty8
02-25-2011, 05:12 AM
Ah! I pulled off the road twice trying to find out if he won. First time, my cell phone was dead and had to wait for it to recharge so I could get the browser to work. Sweet! I am also very happy his match is the last of the day since I've only made it to Georgia and have at least 8 hours more to drive. I might get there to see some of Tipsy's match, but I hope the two before it run very long. Charging the camera battery right now.

cobalt60
02-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Drive safe Smitty! Looking forward to your great pics!
And yeah for another win!

smitty8
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I might not make it for the day matches, getting out of here late. A wasted front row ticket, which I hate to do. Next time, I fly, as much as I hate flying. The gas prices are jacked up. I've only had a few hours sleep, so I hope I don't fall asleep during his match! At least I don't think he'd do like Sampras did to my BFF when she was nodding off during one of his matches, he hit a ball and hit the chair right next to her, she jumped 20 feet off the ground, and I swear he did it on purpose, but he didn't know that she was sick and had taken some Benedryl, which will knock most people out. Plus, she doesn't care for tennis and just went because I was going, and she never went to another tennis event again. Ok, I gotta get food and I'm outta here. I passed 3 wrecks yesterday (one looked really bad), drove in hellacious rain through VA, very glad it stopped once I hit NC. I am just glad it is warm enough that I don't need a jacket! I am wearing t-shirt and shorts! :woohoo:

vn01
02-25-2011, 01:06 PM
That was impressive from Del Potro- 6:1 6:1 versus Gabashvili :worship:

He'll meet Anderson in the quarterfinals ;)

I am very excited about Delpo's performance. VAMOOOOOOOOOOS! :woohoo:

Elbarto
02-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Anderson seems to be a great server ( 22 aces against Donald Young two days ago ), like Raonic he can be a nightmare for his opponent, unbreakable, maybe Del Potro will be forced to play a tie-break against Anderson

EnriqueIG8
02-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Hey guys, I'm not the biggest fan of Del Po (but I do like the guy) but I'm so happy that he's back and also in to form.

Too bad there wasn't a livestream last night because I think Gabash didn't really know what hit him.

I really hope for Juan Martin and all his fans that Delray Beach will be his 8th title. Vamos!

locyka19
02-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Hey guys, I'm not the biggest fan of Del Po (but I do like the guy) but I'm so happy that he's back and also in to form.

Too bad there wasn't a livestream last night because I think Gabash didn't really know what hit him.

I really hope for Juan Martin and all his fans that Delray Beach will be his 8th title. Vamos!

Thanks man, hope more and more tennis fans will realize that this comeback is an extremely big step. His carrier is very unlucky so far, hope he's keep improving.

vn01
02-25-2011, 08:07 PM

Thank you, Javi :worship: :D

cobalt60
02-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I might not make it for the day matches, getting out of here late. A wasted front row ticket, which I hate to do. Next time, I fly, as much as I hate flying. The gas prices are jacked up. I've only had a few hours sleep, so I hope I don't fall asleep during his match! At least I don't think he'd do like Sampras did to my BFF when she was nodding off during one of his matches, he hit a ball and hit the chair right next to her, she jumped 20 feet off the ground, and I swear he did it on purpose, but he didn't know that she was sick and had taken some Benedryl, which will knock most people out. Plus, she doesn't care for tennis and just went because I was going, and she never went to another tennis event again. Ok, I gotta get food and I'm outta here. I passed 3 wrecks yesterday (one looked really bad), drove in hellacious rain through VA, very glad it stopped once I hit NC. I am just glad it is warm enough that I don't need a jacket! I am wearing t-shirt and shorts! :woohoo:

:ras: About 10 inches of snow out there ( I just came in from shoveling;) ) you in your shorts; me in my down coat and gloves :lol:

cobalt60
02-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Makes tennis a bit more exciting having him around.

smitty8
02-25-2011, 09:26 PM
I am here, drove by the tennis center then went on to my hotel. The last time I was in the area was about 13 years ago for a job interview. The place has definitely grown and the traffic, OMG, BAD! I passed the small uni I actually got into for an MBA program but never attended. :( The crowd was already going into the parking before 5pm, so I hope they have enough space for when I head on over soon. I might change into jeans. I think it's going to be in the 60s once the sun goes down. I was quite happy to have to turn on the air conditioner in the car after leaving home with snow on the ground!
Edit: apparently, my hotel is by the airport. I keep hearing big planes. Damn!

Elbarto
02-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Charging the camera battery right now.

thanks for the photos you will take :worship:

EnriqueIG8
02-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks man, hope more and more tennis fans will realize that this comeback is an extremely big step. His carrier is very unlucky so far, hope he's keep improving.

I'm going to check in here more often. Delpo won my respect after his epic fighback in the US 2009 final against my hero.
And since Delpo likes Fed and vice versa I like him too. I've gotten more sympathy for him during/after his injury.

7 titles is a lot already for a 21 year old, but he can go much further and achieve big things!
Hope Delray will be number 8 and counting...

Thank you, Javi :worship: :D

You're welcome, Vladi. You must be proud that his comeback is really getting forms right now.
He can do some damage to players ranked 15-100 at IW & Miami in my opinion.

With a decent draw he can return to the top 75 after those 2 tournaments.

Makes tennis a bit more exciting having him around.

Exactly. One who can challenge the big guns.
And I like his guts on the big points.

smitty8
02-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Guess who I saw about 5 minutes ago going into the player building. I am guessing he's getting ready for the match. Going back 2 my seat. Second row tonight.

smitty8
02-26-2011, 04:46 AM
He started out a bit tentative IMO, but once he started popping those forehands, that was it. The serve still needs work, but it's improving. I started out second row, then the couple in front of me left after the first set and I moved down, right in between Anderson's coach and Juan's coach and physio. Yeah, a bit awkward. I was so nervous just watching him, not knowing what to expect and I don't like seeing him get frustrated, even for a minute. You know, every tournament I've watched him play (except the first time I saw him in Washington) he has won. Washington X2 and USO 2009. Let's keep this streak going! There were lots of Argies in the crowd to support him and that's a good thing. I hope they come out tomorrow when he plays local boy Fish. Should be a good match! Oh yeah, I have the same front row seat for both sessions tomorrow. BTW, someone should've warned me about those stairs leading to the seats because I fell twice and about hurt myself both times tripping over the damn stairs. I've never been in bleachers/seats that were like that and I guess I wasn't really paying attention to where I was stepping when I should've been.

vn01
02-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Good win for Delpo versus Anderson. He was very solid on serve and keeps improving :)

His next match is versus Mardy Fish. It'll be a tough match, but I believe that Delpo will win. VAMOOOOS! :D

smitty8
02-26-2011, 12:36 PM
I forgot to mention that yes, he looks like he's lost weight since Australia. Looked like his clothes were hanging off him. Maybe Nike can get him some new stuff before IW.

I saw Fish struggling yesterday. He had a hard time holding his serve against Falla, lots of deuces, so this is not the in-form Fish I saw in Cincy last year. He also has the distraction of being home, which could be good or bad for him. Guess it is nice to have your mom there to do your laundry, but I would think that all his local buddies would be calling him up to hang out or whatever. I think Juan Martin will win this match. He just has to stay focused and do it. BTW, I also think the speed gun here is too slow. Most serves I saw in both matches looked to be not even 100mph and they looked big to me (and I've been to more than a few tourneys in my day).

cobalt60
02-26-2011, 02:20 PM
:woohoo: Thanks for the first hand reports Smitty. I like watching Fish as well (lovely backhand when it is on)so looking forward to this match.

smitty8
02-26-2011, 03:22 PM
and it's supposed to be on the Tennis Channel! I didn't set my DVR, so I'll just have to settle for watching it in person. From the front row. Yeah, I think that'll do. :p
BUT I'm not by/in the players boxes tonight. Last night was definitely a first, had no idea that's where my seat was going to be. It's like going to a concert and sitting with the band's family and friends, which I've done before, too. Great way to show off your photography skills to the right person. ;)

cobalt60
02-26-2011, 03:26 PM
hehehe :yeah: Enjoy.

smitty8
02-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Hmmm, I might be by the players box again. I sat next to Nishikori's camp today. Actually had to get an usher to move a couple out of my seat. :rolleyes: They have a pass and think they can make people who pay a lot of money sit "back there". Um, no. And I got a profuse apology from said usher after they left. At least the tourney people understand who pays the bills. Oh, and Nishikori said the f word. I was lmao! The little boy behind me even told his mom "ooohhh, he said the f word." ROTFLMAO! I was walking out about 4pm and got back to the hotel to recharge my camera battery for tonight. The doubles match starts after 5pm, saw those guys going out to practice. Didn't see our boy yet. I have to figure out another way to get there because the opposite side of the interstate, the way I have to go back to the tennis center, has a bad wreck and the traffic is backed up past my hotel exit.

smitty8
02-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Ah, good thing I looked at the schedule again. Doubles doesn't start until 7pm. I hope they get this wreck cleared up in another hour or so. Hell, I can take a shower and change now. It was definitely hot today, but I'm not complaining. I just slather on my sunscreen and loved every minute of it. Sure beats below zero wind chills!

smitty8
02-27-2011, 04:36 AM
Guess who I sat by again tonight. Seriously, WTH? I need to check my lottery tickets with this kind of luck. He played well in the first set then looked like he got tired, but he fought back and won that second set. I'm so damned proud of this dude. He's a fighter. He looked so happy as he was going into the player building, huge smile. I hope he gets enough rest tonight. Tipsy is going down!

Elbarto
02-27-2011, 05:08 AM
good win for Del Potro, I hope he will take the title,

Smitty -> Did you take any pictures of this match ? :)

vn01
02-27-2011, 06:12 AM
GREAT WIN FOR DELPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I am soooo happy for the Final reached. :woohoo:

Now comes the last match vs. Tipsarevic. Del Potro is the better player, so I believe he'll win.

VAMOS!!!!! :worship:

locyka19
02-27-2011, 09:27 AM
I've been waiting for this so long. Best tennis news this year so far for me.

smitty8
02-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Oh yeah, I took pictures. I am not sure how blurry they will be since my camera isn't the best for night matches. Have to wait until I get home. I don't have my USB cable for the camera or my memory card reader with me. I don't think I have enough memory on this netbook to upload photos, anyway. I should be good with today's match, my camera is excellent for day matches. I just hope it's not too hot.

cobalt60
02-27-2011, 01:55 PM
:banana:

Certinfy
02-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Talk about an awesome few weeks! SF, SF and now a Final! COME ON!!!

locyka19
02-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Some of the Delpo vs Fish match...check it out.
http://www.mgoon.com/view.htm?id=4377345

vn01
02-27-2011, 09:13 PM
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO - DELRAY BEACH 2011 CHAMPION!!!

VAMOS CAMPEON!!!

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

reeshiesangel
02-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Yayayayay Juan!!!! He deserved this!!!!! First tourney down, many more to come!!!! :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

locyka19
02-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Welcome Back Juan Martin!!!great Day For Me And For All Your Fans!

tealeaves
02-27-2011, 09:22 PM
:sobbing: I've been waiting for this for a whole year

Sonja1989
02-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Welcome Back Juan Martin!!!great Day For Me And For All Your Fans!

Great day for me too, but I wasn't to big fan of Delpo.... so far. :D
Congrats guy! :worship:

locyka19
02-27-2011, 09:27 PM
:sobbing: I've been waiting for this for a whole year

just imagine where he'd have beeen by now with a good 2010.....i guess around number 2.....at least.But the most important that we have to be patient,even after this final,I think he should improve his serve,because its quite bad,and his movement.I guees after today,he gains alot of new confidence.

Elbarto
02-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Del Potro was tired but managed to win the match with fighting spirit, he deserves the title, the best player has won, congratulations to him :hatoff:

first title since the us open 2009, a very good result 2 months only after his comeback :)

Elbarto
02-28-2011, 12:59 AM
interesting interviews after the match from Tipsarevic and Del Potro :

Tipsarevic :

He was playing every single match late at night with no wind, so he was not adapted to the weather. You could see that in the middle of the first set that he picked up, but it was a tough match. We played almost two hours, two sets, but I really didn’t use my chances.

Del Potro :

Today was my first match in the afternoon for a month. I was playing for two weeks those tournaments, then four matches here at night, then today was my first match in the afternoon, It was very hot and of course I felt it, but in the final, you have to think how can you win. Even if you play bad or not, you have to win the final.

if the match was scheduled the night Delpo would probably destroy Tipsarevic in 2 easy sets 6-2, 6-2

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/02/8/Delray-Beach-Sunday-Del-Potro-Wins-First-Title-Of-Comeback.aspx

smitty8
02-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Hey, that was some match. He was so very tired and I hope he works out in the sun more the next few weeks because it'll be just as hot in Miami. It was hot and sunny, but I didn't think it was that bad (and that's coming from someone who has been in the cold snowy crap since late November), especially with the breeze. He played in much MUCH worse conditions when he beat Roddick in Washington in 2009, THAT was brutal. He sucked it up, fought it out, and that was it. Not the best match I've ever seen him play, that's for sure. He has a lot of work ahead of him to get back to his 2009 form, but I see bits and pieces of it coming together, as frustrating as it is for him to go through. Oh, and the big Argie dudes who pushed my head down so they could get an autograph as he was going into the building, I wanna knock you assholes out. I did get a good photo through the little hole they left me as they were practically climbing over top of me. That whole crowd of people after he left the stadium and was going into the players building was one of the craziest things I've seen since I got Fed's autograph and one of my Rafa autograph attempts (still not gotten it). Ok, I gotta get some sleep so I can drive another 11+ hours home tomorrow.

Elbarto
03-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Indian Wells, tough draw for Del Potro :

first round: Stepanek
second round: Ljubicic
third round: Dolgo
1/8 :Soderling
1/4: Murray
semi : Nadal
final: Federer/Djoko

FormerRafaFan
03-08-2011, 10:08 PM
horrible draw for Delpo! oh well.. he still has a chance to win a few matches if he plays as well as he has lately :)

kiwialicat
03-09-2011, 03:52 AM
Def a tough draw. But at the very least it'll give him a chance to play some higher ranked opposition if he makes it through the first couple of rounds. It'll be interesting to see how he fares against a top-tenner considering he got beat pretty easily by Verdasco and Roddick.

vn01
03-09-2011, 02:31 PM
He'll reach the 4th round! VAMOOOOS!!! :rocker2:

krentak
03-09-2011, 05:27 PM
He doesn't face any real top player until at least 4th round. Obviously it isn't an easy draw, but, since DelPo's not seeded, it could have been definitely worse.

smitty8
03-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Oh well, could be good preparation for Miami. Steps and Looby are getting older, not sure how either are playing lately. As long as he takes it match by match, get a little more confidence, then we'll see how he matches up with someone ranked top 20 (wow, Looby is ranked 16? just looked that up, all those points from last IW I assume). I hope he's gotten some rest and hopefully that thigh he kept grabbing and cringing at has healed up. Yeah, I think Miami will be better for him than IW, just a hunch.

locyka19
03-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Obviously playing final in IW is not realistic, the most important to keep improve his game. He can gain many points this spring but the summer hard courts will be the real comeback for him. If he be injury free, I think by the US OPEN starts, he will be around top 30-40.

Elbarto
03-09-2011, 09:56 PM
If he be injury free, I think by the US OPEN starts, he will be around top 30-40.

I'm more optimistic about Del Potro --> top 20 in august/september

because I think he will be close to his best level after Wimbledon, in july he can win again an ATP250 tournament and he has chances to regain his crown at Washington ( ATP500 )

Sweetspot
03-10-2011, 02:02 AM
Indian Wells, tough draw for Del Potro :

first round: Stepanek
second round: Ljubicic
third round: Dolgo
1/8 :Soderling
1/4: Murray
semi : Nadal
final: Federer/Djoko

oh gosh ... his h2h with Steps is 0-2 ... but neither of them is in his best form atm, and Juan's 2011 matches W/L is 8/2, compared to Radek's 5/5 ... IOW I tip Del :wavey:

Juan's h2h w/Lubo is 1-2 ... he beat lubo in straights at the fateful kooyong in 2010 ... iow I tip Delpo! :yeah:

Delpo's never played Dolgo, but I believe his mentality is stronger than the Dog's ... so I tip Delpo :banana:

H2H vs. Sods is 3-1 ... under 2009 conditions I'd choose Delpo confidently ... now that Del's on the comeback trail, he may not be fit enough to outplay the Swede, but he might be! :smoke:

H2H vs. Muzza is oh dammit 1-5 ... Andy would love to see Juan on the horizon ... and I would LOVE IT if Juan beat him! :yippee:

smitty8
03-10-2011, 04:24 AM
I'm more optimistic about Del Potro --> top 20 in august/september

because I think he will be close to his best level after Wimbledon, in july he can win again an ATP250 tournament and he has chances to regain his crown at Washington ( ATP500 )

I'm kind of biased about Washington, so I'd agree with that. ;) I think he can get closer to his old form US Open time, depending on if he stays healthy, gets some rest as well as work on the fitness, and keep on steadily improving through this clay season. Definitely keep working on the serve, that's a great weapon to have. Get those all-important points wherever he can get them so maybe he can be seaded and not have crap draws.

krentak
03-10-2011, 06:56 AM
DelPo will play today against Stepanek. His match is the fourth (and last) of the day session in Stadium 1.

ORDER OF PLAY - THURSDAY, MARCH 10, 2011

STADIUM 1 start 11:00 am*
[Q] D Young (USA) vs P Starace (ITA) - ATP
[WC] S Kuznetsova (RUS) / V Zvonareva (RUS) vs [4] V King (USA) / Y Shvedova (KAZ) - WTA
A Amanmuradova (UZB) vs [WC] C Mchale (USA) - WTA
R Stepanek (CZE) vs J Del Potro (ARG) - ATP

*California time

Elbarto
03-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Del Potro won easily 6-4,6-0 :cool:

but he needs to improve his first serve : 47% it's too low, against top players it will be problematic

Elbarto
03-11-2011, 02:53 AM
strange statement from Del Potro here:

Sometimes I feel a little bad sensation in my wrist, especially in humid weather, so I have many things to fight, but I’m glad with my present.

http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/News/Tennis/2011/Tournament/ATP-Thursday-Del-Potro-Sharp.aspx

does it mean that his wrist is still not Ok ?

vn01
03-11-2011, 05:04 AM
strange statement from Del Potro here:

http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/News/Tennis/2011/Tournament/ATP-Thursday-Del-Potro-Sharp.aspx

does it mean that his wrist is still not Ok ?

Good win for Delpo. I am very happy. :cool:

I know how he feels i humid weather. I had a problem with my knees an year ago, and when it is humid, I still feel some pain, but it's not so bad. Hope Delpo is OK. VAMOS!

locyka19
03-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Good win, I thought that this will be a 3 setter. Pretty convincing so far. But I'm careful with predictions yet. Hope he can make 3rd round at least. Although Ljubicic is the defending champion, I think that doesn't matter. 3 setter I think.

locyka19
03-11-2011, 06:22 AM
By the way where can I get a live stream for IW matches? Livescorehunter ain't givin them,bet365 is reg required, so where to watch Delpo and others?

krentak
03-11-2011, 06:43 AM
There should be no live coverage until Saturday.

smitty8
03-11-2011, 01:31 PM
It would've been nice to actually SEE the match, but I guess we'll get the next one.

If you've ever had a major injury like his, you know it's normal to have some aches from time to time. My knee, ankles, shoulder/neck and even wrists/hands can hurt like you wouldn't believe if a storm system is moving through. My left ankle was injured over 12 years ago, right ankle broken about 9 years ago and I still feel pain from time to time. My wrists/hands, I've been having issues with for 15 years. It's not just me getting older, either. So, I would assume he will have the same kind of aches and pains over the years, but he'll get used to it and have to learn to live with it. Anti-inflammatories can become your best friends!

locyka19
03-11-2011, 04:05 PM
It would've been nice to actually SEE the match, but I guess we'll get the next one.

If you've ever had a major injury like his, you know it's normal to have some aches from time to time. My knee, ankles, shoulder/neck and even wrists/hands can hurt like you wouldn't believe if a storm system is moving through. My left ankle was injured over 12 years ago, right ankle broken about 9 years ago and I still feel pain from time to time. My wrists/hands, I've been having issues with for 15 years. It's not just me getting older, either. So, I would assume he will have the same kind of aches and pains over the years, but he'll get used to it and have to learn to live with it. Anti-inflammatories can become your best friends!

Agree with you. But at the highest level of any sport, when the sportsman is such concentrated on what he is doing,preparing for, thats way bad that he has to deal with all these weather changes.I hope it won't happen this way, cause that would ruin his career a little bit. Anyway, hope he cracks top 30 by july.

Elbarto
03-11-2011, 07:56 PM
interview from Del Potro :

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/3/Other/Del-Potro-Interview.aspx

Q) Are you looking to play a full clay-court schedule after the Masters 1000 events in Indian Wells and Miami? Are you looking forward to the challenges of clay court tennis?

A) Yes I will play a few clay court events. I like clay, I was born on it.

he confirms he likes clay, I don't know if he can again reach the semi at Roland Garros but I think he can play a leading part in the clay season like Dolgo or Almagro

Deuce24
03-12-2011, 03:46 AM
interview from Del Potro :

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/3/Other/Del-Potro-Interview.aspx

he confirms he likes clay, I don't know if he can again reach the semi at Roland Garros but I think he can play a leading part in the clay season like Dolgo or Almagro

He plays just fine on clay, its funny a lot of people forget how good he was at that French Open. In my opinion I thought his level of play was every bit as high or perhaps higher then it was even at the US open, he had been great all tournament and he outplayed Federer most of that match, but his major mistake was that terrible second set tie break that cost him that match. It took me a good month to get over that loss because I still believe he was the best player at the French open that year and had a golden opportunity to win it.

krentak
03-12-2011, 06:26 AM
ORDER OF PLAY - SATURDAY, MARCH 12, 2011

STADIUM 1 start 11:00 am
D Safina (RUS) vs [26] D Hantuchova (SVK) - WTA
J Del Potro (ARG) vs [14] I Ljubicic (CRO) - ATP

locyka19
03-12-2011, 06:47 AM
Come on Juan Martin!!!!Really hope he beats Ljubicic. OMG Dolgo-Delpo match 'd crazy!

Chris.
03-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Good luck against Ljubicic i will be watching at home on tv. Keep getting your ranking up.

smitty8
03-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Guess I got to go run my errands now so I can park my butt on my recumbent bike while watching the match. Good luck Delpo!

cobalt60
03-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Stuck home doing massive laundry today so I am also looking forward to watching :banana:

locyka19
03-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Finally won. Good win, but he should step up his serve and footwork because Dolgopolov will be quicker than Ljubicic.By the way Ljubicic played great tennis today.

Elbarto
03-12-2011, 11:43 PM
good win for Del Potro, good to see him fight despite the loss of the first set :)

next target: Dolgo, it won't be easy but I am confident

swisht4u
03-13-2011, 06:16 AM
He plays just fine on clay, its funny a lot of people forget how good he was at that French Open. In my opinion I thought his level of play was every bit as high or perhaps higher then it was even at the US open, he had been great all tournament and he outplayed Federer most of that match, but his major mistake was that terrible second set tie break that cost him that match. It took me a good month to get over that loss because I still believe he was the best player at the French open that year and had a golden opportunity to win it.

His endurance at that time wasn't good enough, he had a decent chance of taking Fed out and probably would have won.
That year he also made the final of the WTF.
Very close of having a couple of slams and a WTF title for the year.
At those times he was improving by the month through the whole year.
I don't believe he ever reached his peak, there were areas he could definitely improve even then.
Hard to tell where he'd be now if not for the wrist.
He has a better chance of beating Nadal at the french than Federer IMO. Just a better matchup.

We'll see how he does this year but he may not have his game back by the french to challenge the best.

I expect him to be better than he ever was, he's older, stronger, getting more experience and there's areas he can improve.

vn01
03-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Excellent win for Del Potro. I haven't seen him playing better this year :)

It'll be a tough match versus Dolgopolov, but I believe that Delpo will win. VAMOS! :wavey:

locyka19
03-13-2011, 09:31 AM
If he will lose against Dolgopolov, thats not that big problem, Dolgo is in big form. Delpo will even be better in Miami.BTW I hope he beats Dolgopolov.Won't be easy.

Certinfy
03-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah that's true, either way just hoping he puts up a fight :)

Awesome win yesterday as well, just brilliant :worship:

cobalt60
03-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Not a great match; so many UE and lousy serving on Delpo's end. Hope he makes it to the QF :help:

Cazorla
03-14-2011, 11:34 PM
http://s002.radikal.ru/i197/1103/5b/64b1125a3d8e.jpg (http://www.radikal.ru)

:) :) :) Good job!

Elbarto
03-14-2011, 11:38 PM
the first set and the tie-break were great to watch,

in the second set Dolgo didn't manage to control the power of Del Potro' shots, and Delpo seemed to lose sometimes his concentration,

but it's a good win against a dangerous opponent

smitty8
03-15-2011, 02:56 AM
I hope he gets some rest and rehydrated before the next match. At least he has a day off in between. He should beat Kohlschreiber. I don't care how he's winning these matches, but he IS winning them, just doesn't help my nerves when I watch him sometimes.

locyka19
03-15-2011, 08:38 AM
The good news for us, and for his comeback, that even with a bad game he can win matches against very good players like Dolgopolov and Ljubicic.

Sonja1989
03-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Good win Juan! :yeah:
He can beat also Kohlschreiber. :D

And locyka, I said for you don't worry about him. ;) He has R4 already. :D :D :D

locyka19
03-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Good win Juan! :yeah:
He can beat also Kohlschreiber. :D

And locyka, I said for you don't worry about him. ;) He has R4 already. :D :D :D

I was rather pessimistic about his IW performance pre-tournament. You were right. :) Hope his serve will improve a lot for against Kohlschreiber because he's on fire after beating Soderling.

Sonja1989
03-15-2011, 09:11 AM
I was rather pessimistic about his IW performance pre-tournament. You were right. :) Hope his serve will improve a lot for against Kohlschreiber because he's on fire after beating Soderling.

You... pessimistic! :o :)
Kohlschreiben can be very hard opponent if he plays very good. I guess it's possible. :)

vn01
03-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Excellent work, Delpo!!! VAMOOOOS! :worship:

I told you all that Del Potro will reach 4th round. I expect a very tough match versus Kohlschreiber, but I believe in Delpo :D

locyka19
03-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Excellent work, Delpo!!! VAMOOOOS! :worship:

I told you all that Del Potro will reach 4th round. I expect a very tough match versus Kohlschreiber, but I believe in Delpo :D

I would not call it excellent. But come on...! He is by far not 100% so far and still beating guys like Fish,Ljubicic or Dolgopolov. That's something. His serve is rather bad. I believe his mental strength helped him out so far here in IW mostly. But against Dolgopolov he showed some of his devastating forehands. He's already moving pretty well, was slow against Ljubicic a little bit, against Tipsarevic too, but in this last match he had to show his ability to cover the court.Great to see him play and win again. Kohlschreiber won't be easy for sure. Obviously he should hit more aces otherwise he'll have to face a quick and smart Kohlschreiber.

Sweetspot
03-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Even though Kohli is 5 years older than Delpo, Juan (IMO)has the stronger mind control. Even at 22, he seems to have stronger mind control than almost everybody he plays, regardless of their age.

In a way it's too bad that Kohli's new coach (for about six months or so) is the same guy who was coaching andy murray when andy beat juan x3 on hard and x1 on indoorhard ... tho juan beat him on the clay in 2009 ... what i'm saying is that kohli's coach would have told him how best to beat Delpo.

otoh, knowing how to beat someone and actually beating him are two different things. of course, Kohli just beat another big server with a flatish forehand in soderling, but he also has a history of beating soderling .... his history against delpotro, otoh, is a losing one of 0-2

I will enjoy watching the kohli groundstrokes, but I also have faith in the 22yearold ..... vamos delpo! :worship:

Certinfy
03-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Come on Juan :yeah:

vn01
03-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Del Potro is the strongest mentally player in the Tour, so I believe, this will help him ;)

vn01
03-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Another dramatic match won by Delpo :yeah: It was not his best, though, but his comeback in the 2nd set TB was :worship: I am very happy with this win and I was right that Kohlschreiber would be the toughest opponent for Delpo so far in Indian Wells.

Next up is Robredo. It won't be an easy one, but I see Del Potro winning it :)

VAMOS!

Elbarto
03-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Del Potro needs now to improve his serve, he sould have won 6-4,6-4 against Kolschreiber ( he had a break in each set )

he suffered from hypoglycemia, probably he is not used to playing early ( 11h am ) and he forgot to take a breakfast,

next time maybe he will play in night session, this could resolve this issue ( Del Potro seems to have better results if he plays in the evening )

smitty8
03-17-2011, 03:16 AM
Juan, did you wake up and just go out to play the match? Set the alarm clock, get a wake up call, and eat something next time. Good grief.

Now go beat Robredo into the ground. I've had it with that guy. And yes, it's personal. :armed:

locyka19
03-17-2011, 06:22 AM
Match against Robredo won't be easy, but I think he beat some better guys so far in IW. Hope he won't take it too easy and serve better. It's just....horrible to think about his last year. Just imagine guys where he'd have been by now without injury.Now, playing not even 70% I guess, and in the semi final here, thats something. Even with a bad serve.

Elbarto
03-17-2011, 08:12 AM
the "dream" scenario for Del Potro :

- he beats Robredo ( who seemed injured against Querrey )

- Karlovic beats Nadal ( it sounds weird but I think it's possible because Karlovic is very good in this tournament and Nadal is not at his best level )

- Wawrinka beats Federer

- then Wawrinka beats Djoko in semi

with this scenario Del Potro will play Karlovic instead of Nadal in semi --> much more chances to reach the final where he will play Wawrinka and not a top 10 player

his ATP ranking for each round :

1/4: 66 ( it's done )
1/2: 54
final: 36
champion: 19 or 20

I want to believe to this dream :worship:

locyka19
03-17-2011, 02:33 PM
the "dream" scenario for Del Potro :

- he beats Robredo ( who seemed injured against Querrey )

- Karlovic beats Nadal ( it sounds weird but I think it's possible because Karlovic is very good in this tournament and Nadal is not at his best level )

- Wawrinka beats Federer

- then Wawrinka beats Djoko in semi

with this scenario Del Potro will play Karlovic instead of Nadal in semi --> much more chances to reach the final where he will play Wawrinka and not a top 10 player

his ATP ranking for each round :

1/4: 66 ( it's done )
1/2: 54
final: 36
champion: 19 or 20

I want to believe to this dream :worship:

His performance here is already dreamlike. I thought that maximum 3rd or 4th round here is also good.Honestly I think his dreamlike run will ended in the semi against Nadal. But again...his ranking was 482 some 60 days ago, and I believe he will crack top 20 by Roland Garros starts for sure if not earlier.

krentak
03-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Robredo withdrew before the match for a strained left abductor muscle.
Delpo is in the Semi against Nadal or Karlovic.

locyka19
03-17-2011, 08:17 PM
A little bit lucky tournament you might say...but who would call Del Potro lucky?? Missing for a year.....

vn01
03-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Good. Delpo fought a lot to reach QF. He deserves a day off before the SF against Nadal. VAMOS!

smitty8
03-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Maybe he should got buy some lotto tickets.

Good for him to have a day off before playing either Rafa or Dr. Ivo. Should be good either way, but I want to see how he matches up to Rafa now.

Now I get to go battle the bush from hell in my flower bed. It's winning at the moment, damn roots.

Elbarto
03-17-2011, 08:50 PM
the "dream" continues for Del Potro, he's lucky ( no Murray, no Soderling ) but he deserves this luck,

now the battle against Nadal seems more fair because of this day off

locyka19
03-17-2011, 10:51 PM
the "dream" continues for Del Potro, he's lucky ( no Murray, no Soderling ) but he deserves this luck,

now the battle against Nadal seems more fair because of this day off

Muchdeserved after one year missing.

vn01
03-18-2011, 09:43 PM
So, it's Nadal in the semifinals. Should be a good match. I am for both equal :)

smitty8
03-19-2011, 03:10 AM
I am kicking myself for not renewing my IW tickets this year. I'm missing some good stuff. Looking forward to watching it on TV tomorrow.

coonster14
03-19-2011, 04:31 AM
Yay!!! Del Potro in the SF's of a M1000 tournament after a whole year off.

Too bad he's playing against Rafa, I like both, so I am hoping it will be a 3 set match.

Chris.
03-19-2011, 09:17 AM
I think he should win against Nadal. Nadal not in great form so i hope he does. Good luck.

tealeaves
03-19-2011, 02:19 PM
I heard that Del Potro is not playing Monte Carlo or Barcelona this year :o?

Elbarto
03-19-2011, 03:20 PM
are you sure ?

in his official website Monte-Carlo is on his schedule :

# Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters

# Mutua Madrileña Madrid Open

# Internazionali BNL d'Italia

# Roland Garros

http://www.del-potro.com.ar/

I hope he will play also Barcelona because he needs ATP points in order to be seeded for Roland Garros

tealeaves
03-19-2011, 05:12 PM
are you sure ?

in his official website Monte-Carlo is on his schedule :

I hope he will play also Barcelona because he needs ATP points in order to be seeded for Roland Garros

I only saw what people write in the ATP ranking thread in GM
I am not sure. You should be right I reckon

locyka19
03-19-2011, 06:48 PM
so good to see him play like this....hopefuly he will take the first set....love this guy

LaFuria
03-19-2011, 08:25 PM
He's getting there.

Needs to work on the serve though.

vn01
03-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Good match for Del Potro, although he lost. Rafa is the world number 1, but Juan Martin made the match close. With a bit luck, he could have won a set, but it was a great performance in Indian Wells. Next week is Miami :D

cobalt60
03-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Good week overall although I would have preferred a win;)

Elbarto
03-19-2011, 09:52 PM
expected result,

but a good result for Del Potro who is still not at his best level, he managed to take 8 games to the world number one, he made also some good shots,

he needs to work again in order to be quick and accurate on his shots,

next time he will be ready to beat a top 10 player, after 2 or 3 tournaments he will have enough matchs under his belt in order to be strong and confident

Deuce24
03-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Hes ahead of schedule on his comeback, I think hes going to be an even better player then before when he gets his serve and forehead back because neither are at near the level they were in 09 especially his serve and he still competed well in this match.

reeshiesangel
03-19-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm glad he got as far as he did! does anyone know where his ranking points will land him at after IW?

Elbarto
03-19-2011, 11:11 PM
next monday he will be top 53

smitty8
03-20-2011, 02:59 AM
Flashes of what will be here and there. Shame ABC had to go to war coverage (I guess is what we call it, I say don't interrupt until you kill the crazy man in Libya) and I missed a few games, then the end of the match. By the time I got tennistv up and running on this slow as a turtle computer, it was back on tv. Oh well, keep on accumulating those points, Juan. See ya in Miami.

vn01
03-20-2011, 06:26 PM
http://www.farmersclassic.com/Players/Players_Bios/

Del Potro will play in Los Angeles. The tournament is from July 25 to July 31

tealeaves
03-21-2011, 01:44 AM
I hope he gets good draw in Miami and get a QF appearance (at least)

LawrenceOfTennis
03-21-2011, 11:30 AM
In IW, he had a terrible draw, and made it to the semi finals. Miami should be his tournament.

vn01
03-21-2011, 04:16 PM
4th round or QF in Miami will be OK

LawrenceOfTennis
03-21-2011, 04:18 PM
yeah but at least 4th round.......depends on the draw. Hope not an early top 10 guy

LawrenceOfTennis
03-21-2011, 05:29 PM
terrible draw for Delpo :( :( even if he survives Kohlschreiber again, there is Soderling in the 3rd round ohhh vey bad news for us

vn01
03-21-2011, 05:46 PM
We'll see what will happen. Let's first concentrate on the first opponent - Ricardo Mello. VAMOS DELPO!

Elbarto
03-21-2011, 05:51 PM
there is Soderling in the 3rd round ohhh vey bad news for us

I think he can beat Soderling, they have practically the same game style but Del Potro seems to have a better footwork and mental strength than Soderling,

the draw for Del Potro:

R1: Ricardo Mello
R2: Kohlschreiber
R3: Soderling
R4: Gasquet/Ljubicic/Fish
Q: Ferrer/Wawrinka/Raonic
S: Djoko/Murray/Verdasco
F: Federer/Nadal/Roddick

I think he can reach quarter

ossie
03-21-2011, 09:18 PM
call me crazy but i think delpo has a chance to win this. the horrible court at iw is what cost him the match against rafa and if im not mistaken the ball doesnt bounce as high at miami. if he can play himself into form and fix his serve he has just as much chance to win as the rest of the top 4/5.

LawrenceOfTennis
03-21-2011, 09:25 PM
call me crazy but i think delpo has a chance to win this. the horrible court at iw is what cost him the match against rafa and if im not mistaken the ball doesnt bounce as high at miami. if he can play himself into form and fix his serve he has just as much chance to win as the rest of the top 4/5.

Actually Miami courts are slower than IW courts. Miami's air is less dry, balls are heavier. Anyway, hope the best for him.

tealeaves
03-22-2011, 01:18 AM
If he somehow beats Kohli again H2H will be 4-0 :p And Soderling 3-1 :)
I take that and I hope he will beat Ljub again :p

rubbERR
03-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Little randomness:

I saw DelPo live this year first time and hes definitely 6'7 or 6'8 tall, 6'6 is not right.

Im myself 6'4 so its easy to see how much taller people are.

Elbarto
03-22-2011, 01:35 PM
and how much does he weigh ?

on the ATP website it's :

6'6" (198 cm)
Weight: 182 lbs (83 kg)

83 kg it's low for a guy who is 6'7''

LawrenceOfTennis
03-22-2011, 01:41 PM
He will compete at AEGON Championship. He has to improve on grass. Anyway, hope a deep run here in Miami. Mentally he's okay, sooner than expected but his 1st serve is still....:S. Come on Juan Martin!

smitty8
03-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I'd say he's more like 6'7". Not sure about the weight, but he's definitely thinner than he was in January.

I think he'll do ok in Miami. I just want him to get through those first few matches.

LawrenceOfTennis
03-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Good win, but it was not a question that this is a must-win for him today. Hope he improves his serve until Kohli match.

dombrfc
03-23-2011, 09:54 PM
6'6 looked right to me when ive seen him.

Serve is so off right now :(

<3 delpo.

Elbarto
03-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Del Potro needs a better second serve,

against Mello he lost twice his serve ( and only 40% second serve points won )

smitty8
03-24-2011, 03:45 AM
Maybe he's still finding it hard to stay focused and his mind is wandering. He'll get better with more matches. I just wish they were showing this tourney on TV before Saturday. :rolleyes:

vn01
03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Not bad win for Delpo. Not very convincing, but it's OK. I don't expect anything about Miami. He performed great durng the first part of the season, so we must be absolutely happy.

I'll make a new thread about the clay and the grass season, whe Delpo ends in Miami. :)

krentak
03-24-2011, 04:30 PM
http://www.ole.com.ar/tenis/Mello-comi-rato_0_449355326.html

According to this source, Delpo will rest after Miami until the Madrid M1000. So he shouldn't play MCarlo.

vn01
03-24-2011, 08:22 PM
http://www.ole.com.ar/tenis/Mello-comi-rato_0_449355326.html

According to this source, Delpo will rest after Miami until the Madrid M1000. So he shouldn't play MCarlo.

His schedule is:
Madrid Masters
Estoril(250)

The entry list for the Rome Masters isn't out yet, but he should play there. Then, I think he'll skip Nice and play at the French Open. 4 clay tournaments for Del Potro ;)

LawrenceOfTennis
03-24-2011, 08:31 PM
He will rest 1 month, and thats great news. He will be relaxed by Madrid starts. I'm not sure how deep will be his run here in Miami, but he surely cracks top 30 by the time Roland Garros starts.

LucasArg
03-25-2011, 01:45 AM
I don't think he will play Estoril.
Just Madrid and Rome.

smitty8
03-25-2011, 05:28 AM
Well, once again, I have very selfish reasons to want him to run deep in Miami, since I'll be there for a week starting tomorrow. Gotta take a vacation before my big cardiology appointment, get some rest, get some sun (it's supposed to snow here and be cold all week, yuck, I've had it with this weather), decompress since I've about completely lost my mind. I won't be able to take another vacation until sometime in July since we are moving our entire big department in the next couple months, so it was now or July and I will be carried out in a straightjacket if I wait any longer (and I should've went to Indian Wells, that's when my temper was the worst, I bit off a few heads). So, here's to hoping he does well and then has a long vacation, much needed, I'm sure. Oh, and remember, he's won every tournament I've seen him play at. Nah, no pressure at all. ;)

LawrenceOfTennis
03-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Well, once again, I have very selfish reasons to want him to run deep in Miami, since I'll be there for a week starting tomorrow. Gotta take a vacation before my big cardiology appointment, get some rest, get some sun (it's supposed to snow here and be cold all week, yuck, I've had it with this weather), decompress since I've about completely lost my mind. I won't be able to take another vacation until sometime in July since we are moving our entire big department in the next couple months, so it was now or July and I will be carried out in a straightjacket if I wait any longer (and I should've went to Indian Wells, that's when my temper was the worst, I bit off a few heads). So, here's to hoping he does well and then has a long vacation, much needed, I'm sure. Oh, and remember, he's won every tournament I've seen him play at. Nah, no pressure at all. ;)

Envy you for that vacation. Really hope Delpo will have a deep run here, and it won't end against Soderling.

LawrenceOfTennis
03-25-2011, 05:42 PM
bad news for Juan Martin....Soderling beat Dodig...so he's waiting for Delpo....definetely he doesn't want to play against Kohli again.....

Elbarto
03-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Soderling seems to be in bad form ( Dodig led 4-1 in the third set ), he was injured at Indian Wells ( foot injury ), I think Del Potro will be favourite if he beats Kohlschreiber

LawrenceOfTennis
03-25-2011, 06:30 PM
I think Del Potro will be favourite if he beats Kohlschreiber

won't be easy...hope his serve will improve a lot....should get some cheap points for his tired body

LawrenceOfTennis
03-26-2011, 01:25 AM
daaamn, lost the first set....too bad

LawrenceOfTennis
03-26-2011, 04:22 AM
Good win, but too much depended on the mental strength. He really should improve that seve! This performance won't be enough against Soderling, that's for sure. If he somehow manages to beat Soderling, then would be easier matches until semis. Come on Delpo! Come on Davin, help him on that serve.

Certinfy
03-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Awesome win! :D

vn01
03-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Excellent win. VAMOS!

smitty8
03-26-2011, 01:45 PM
And I quote myself:

" Oh man, they should've put this one on TV! You HAD to be there and there were NO seats left. I thought the Delray crowd was rowdy, but THIS had nothing on that. I thought I was at a soccer match, fights about to break out, chanting, heckling, and even someone passing out. Yes, he had an injury time out and had his thigh taped up. The concentration thing, well, could've been the crowd at times, as much as the crowd pumped him up at the very end. I couldn't concentrate, as loud as it was. Not a pretty match, but close to the end, Mugshreiber was unloading f*bombs and complaining and broke his racket. Well worth all the effort for me to get to this one, and believe me it was NOT an easy day for me."

Let's see, no sleep for almost 48 hours by the time this one was played. Had to get TSA violated with the full body scan that might cause cancer sometime in the future (seriously, how much radiation does that thing put out?). I hope they enjoyed seeing my unusual surgical scar that I let no one see except my doctors. I also HATE flying in good circumstances, but my back got jacked up in the uncomfortable seat and we aborted TWO landings due to fog, after the pilot said we might have to land in Orando and take a bus to Miami (quite a long drive, I was almost in tears), we FINALLY had a bumpy landing (not the worst turbulence I've had from fog, but it wasn't fun), then trying to figure out getting out of the airport area, then horrible traffic, parking, just getting there wore me out. I couldn't find my new sneakers that I wanted to wear, so I wore my LA Gear toning shoes, which I suspected jacked my back up last time I tried to wear them (but wasn't sure, now I AM sure), and now I have a big blister on my little toe and my back is so jacked up that I can barely move (I also blame airplane seats and benches and hard seats at the tennis). I am going to go find some new sneakers before I go back to the tennis, lots of walking there. I am also sunburned badly, which I blame Nando for since it was his match I sat there for hours watching him lose (I wasn't cheering for him in the end, anyway). Oh, and the hotel fiasco. You do NOT want to know, but for once, I AM glad I have one hard as a rock bed, helps the bad back, but I won't have it for long. Due to the tennis tourney and a DJ something-or-other in South Beach PLUS the fire at the Miami Airport that cancelled a LOT of outgoing flights, there are absolutely NO hotel rooms left within at least a half hour of Miami this weekend. I am staying at a plush resort starting Sunday night, so I hope the back is better by then.

cobalt60
03-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Oh man Smitty; what a hellish day.

smitty8
03-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah, it has made up my mind that I'd much rather go to Indian Wells than back to Miami, so I have to start over and see if I can get at least as good a box seat as I gave up from last year. At least my sunburn isn't as bad this morning. Waiting on my camera batteries to charge then I'm out of here. My new Olympus I got for Christmas isn't a bad little camera. I brought it to play with and see how well it does. Not as good as my Panasonic, but overall, not bad, and a great zoom (30x).

I hope Juan sleeps all day long today! He deserves it.

Also, a reminder for those who do general admission for these types of matches: it helps to have someone to save your seat or switch seats when you absolutely have to go to the bathroom. I didn't drink enough earlier in the day and was dehydrated, so I drank 3 liters of water and a small Gatorade and by the time the Ferrer match was over (and it should've been over a half hour earlier), I was about to pee my shorts and I had no one to help with the seat and ushers were threatening to kick people out if they saved seats. So, by the middle of Juan's first set, I REALLLLLLYYYYY had to go to the bathroom and gave up a terrific third row seat with great view of a righty serve on that side. I didn't want to go back to that end or the general admission side because of all the fighting about to start, so I went to the opposite end. Wound up in the very top corner, next to the last row, for the rest of the first set. When he went off to get his leg taped up, I miraculously found another great third row seat right where I wanted to be. Don't ask me how it happened because I have no idea, but karma is real. I was trying to keep an eye out for them afterwards so they didn't get mobbed in the crowd, and believe me, it was a BIG crowd. And that's all I'm saying about that, the person that needs to know will understand.

dombrfc
03-26-2011, 08:29 PM
I will literally pray for you delpo.

<3

LawrenceOfTennis
03-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately can't see him win today. Hope he will serve like never before in 2011.

smitty8
03-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I will be there in a shit seat, 400 level, but it isn't a bad view since I'm in the front row of that level, almost in the middle of the court. These weekend tickets have been sold out for probably a week because I've been checking to see if I could upgrade. Will be using my Olympus with the 30x zoom, played with it last night and I think I've about figured it out. LeBron James broke my Panasonic camera's on/off switch. I'm serious. I'm not happy about it, but am glad I brought a backup camera, which I always recommend if you are serious about photography. You have no idea how many times something has broken on a camera and I didn't have a backup, so I've learned.

I missed Juan's practice yesterday, but I definitely heard the crowd yelling after him as he walked by. He was at the court right behind where I was for a very crowded Murray/Nole dubs match.

Elbarto
03-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Will be using my Olympus with the 30x zoom

I'm curious, is it a DSLR camera or a compact camera ?

cobalt60
03-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Come on big man!

LawrenceOfTennis
03-27-2011, 10:52 PM
So many new faces over here....hate people's double tongued attitude......now,be quiet haters! Come on Juan Martin! Love this guy! I'd never thought that this match will be this easy for him.

cobalt60
03-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Best he has played this year! First set was great!

dombrfc
03-27-2011, 11:30 PM
YYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS wohooooooo!!!!!!!!!

smitty8
03-28-2011, 06:11 AM
I'm curious, is it a DSLR camera or a compact camera ?

Oh, compact! Gotta luv the advances they are making in light weight, great quality compact cameras! I can't afford just the lens for a DSLR that would be the equivalent of this. The lens I have for my Canon DSLR doesn't zoom as far as my little broken Panasonic, but it does have other features that make it great. Let me find a link to this camera. It's kind of complicated getting it set up because they said if you don't set it up EXACTLY as they tell you to, you lose the internal instruction manual and all that. Well, it doesn't come with clear instructions about anything, so I thought I royally f*d it up and couldn't use it, but I didn't and I have figured it out OK even without getting the manual and settings on it just yet (you CAN do it later, I discovered).

This 30x zoom, 14 MP they are talking about: http://www.dcviews.com/press/olympus-800uz.htm

Chris.
03-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Ranking up too 45 now. Top 10 by the end of the year?

rubbERR
03-28-2011, 08:56 AM
So many new faces over here....hate people's double tongued attitude......now,be quiet haters! Come on Juan Martin! Love this guy! I'd never thought that this match will be this easy for him.

who is the new face here? most of us started to post here 2008-2009, and here is no haters. :lol:

vn01
03-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Excellent stuff from Delpo. VAMOS! Fish next :rocker2:

FormerRafaFan
03-28-2011, 11:13 AM
He will win easily against Fish. Sod didn't stand a chance yesterday, and Sod is a much better player than Fish!

dombrfc
03-28-2011, 12:07 PM
We will stop Nole ;)

LawrenceOfTennis
03-28-2011, 01:42 PM
This rendezvous seems like coming...with Djokovic. I hope he beats Fish in 2 easy sets then kick Ferrer's ass in 2 too, then give Djoko a run for his money. Honestly I don't think he got a chance against Djokovic, but maybe a set.

smitty8
03-28-2011, 02:00 PM
I dunno about kicking Ferrer in two sets. I've seen his last two matches and if they play, David will likely run Juan into the ground, wear his legs out, for a very long and tiring 3 sets. I am hoping David goes out before that would happen. Guess I'll be cheering for Granollers (um, right, he's gonna love that).

I didn't get to see Fish beat Gasquet, I was late getting to there, so I am not sure how Mardy is playing now compared to Delray. He was just off in Delray, but maybe he's gotten it together.

Ok, I'm outta here. Have to go buy some more memory cards. Who knew I would use these almost up? Oh wait, TWO cameras, twice as many pictures. Oh, and my seats are SIGNIFICANTLY better starting today.

smitty8
03-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Oops, just looked at the weather forecast since it looks really cloudy outside my hotel room overlooking Biscayne Bay. Chance of thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow, 80% chance of rain/thunderstorms. The stuff I see on radar today looks like it should hit to the north of Key Biscayne unless it moves to the south.

Elbarto
03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
I didn't get to see Fish beat Gasquet

you can see highlights here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZqVyqKs3PY

Fish seems to play a good quality tennis, it won't be easy for Del Potro

smitty8
03-28-2011, 03:51 PM
It's getting breezy and dark clouds are moving in again. I was hoping we could at least get the day session mostly done before this moves in, but now I'm not so sure.

FormerRafaFan
03-28-2011, 04:04 PM
It's getting breezy and dark clouds are moving in again. I was hoping we could at least get the day session mostly done before this moves in, but now I'm not so sure.

Ugh.. it's the same every time! It doesn't rain for weeks at the tennis location, but a storm moves in right in the middle of the tennis event! fucking awesome:(

Aniitaa
03-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Del Potro's statements in the press conference after his match against Soderling... they're translated by me so probably there are gramar mistakes (sorry)
http://wp.me/p1ra8Y-X

Elbarto
03-28-2011, 05:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNHuC3NGwzI

smitty8
03-29-2011, 04:48 AM
The guy at the hotel desk told me that they've not had rain in over 3 months and now they get rain when they are having the tournament. Always happens, but what can you do about it, besides put a roof on every stadium, which probably isn't financially possible for some of the smaller events that are held outdoors. So, he's scheduled for 11am tomorrow. I sure hope he's asleep by now and he sets the alarm and asks for a wake up call in the morning. Of course, the forecast for rain doesn't make it look very good, but I'm hopeful that if there is enough of a window of clear weather, they can at least get his match in. Definitely a bonus to being the first match on a court that day.

LawrenceOfTennis
03-29-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm close to crying.....I'm damn sad over this result. Hope he will rest a lot in the next month and be ready for Madrid. What a shame Fish advances here.....I won't watch this damn tournament anymore.

Elbarto
03-29-2011, 06:58 PM
no regrets, Del Potro was too tired and he played badly, slow move, too much unforced errors, he was not ready for this match,

he plays often badly the morning, it's not the first time ( remember his final at montreal 2009, final at Delray Beach one month ago ), and when the temperature is hot it's getting worse

Del Potro needs to rest himself, and to improve his fitness, otherwise the same problem can happen during the clay season

smitty8
03-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Fish had some big serves. Juan was frustrated at times.hot and humid but still not as bad as it gets in Washington in summer. I'm in the shade recovering right now. I don't want to sit in the sun on grandstand right now. I do want to see Simon match and Nadal and Nole. I ran right into a player as I was getting the car from valet. I think we both were a bit shock to see the other. I knew there had to be someone here. Too much security and too private. They won't let you near this place if you don't belong.

FormerRafaFan
03-29-2011, 09:26 PM
I can't believe he lost to FISH! Seriously:help:

cobalt60
03-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Oh well. Thanks for the info Elbaerto and Smitty.

Elbarto
03-30-2011, 02:05 PM
on his website :

Después de una inspiradora victoria ante Robin Söderling, Delpo perdió en los octavos de final del "Sony Ericsson Open" ante el estadounidense Mardy Fish, por 7-5 y 7-6.

Lo próximo es la serie europea en dónde jugará los ATP World Tour Masters 1000 de Monte-Carlo, Madrid y Roma, y dos Grand Slams.

Del Potro will play Monte-Carlo ?

probably a mistake because he is not on the entry list:

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/Players/Player-Landing.aspx

smitty8
03-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Wow, I was hoping he'd get some more time off before starting on clay. :scratch: In other news, I was taking a walk around this place on the walking path and saw Willy Canas on the tennis courts here. Yet another surprise. Who will I run into next? I actually have decided that I like this place where the hotel is so much, I'm going to see how much the residences/condos are. Save up some money and with the way the real estate market in Florida keeps going down, in a few years I might be able to snag one if the right deal comes along. However, I would have to upgrade the car to fit in, lol.

Elbarto
03-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Del Potro will play at Queen's club :

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/juan-martin-del-potro-to-play-Wimbledon-warmup-at-Queens-Club-032211

LawrenceOfTennis
03-31-2011, 02:26 PM
He plays next Madrid. No Estoril this year. He confirmed. There is something with his wrist again, doctor checking it, hope nothing serious this time.

vn01
03-31-2011, 03:34 PM
My computer was down. Now it's OK. I don't care much about the loss against Fish. Waiting for the clay season, now :)

I'll present you some interesting stats about the 1st part of the season, soon :)

Elbarto
03-31-2011, 05:12 PM
There is something with his wrist again, doctor checking it, hope nothing serious this time.

do you have a link/source/website for this information ?

LawrenceOfTennis
03-31-2011, 05:19 PM
do you have a link/source/website for this information ?

Hi!
a friend of mine met with Davin in Miami on monday, and he told him this info. Hope nothing serious....:S

vn01
03-31-2011, 07:08 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=10900032#post10900032

January - March stats! hope you like it

Elbarto
04-01-2011, 03:24 PM
from his twitter :

Gracias por todo el cariño de los fans de IW y Miami. He jugado buenos partidos en estas cuatro semanas y estoy contento con los resultados

http://twitter.com/delpotrojuan

Elbarto
04-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Del Potro seems to be on bad terms with Nalbandian, they are not best friends :

http://www.unosantafe.com.ar/deportes/La-relacion-entre-Del-Potro-y-Nalbandian-no-mejora-20110331-0004.html

http://ar.sports.yahoo.com/columnas/blog-deportes-1749.html

Del Potro is not sure to play Davis cup this year

smitty8
04-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Well, I didn't think he was friends with David anyway, so nothing new there.

Ok, so does he have to play Davis Cup in order to play the Olympics? I don't remember what the deal with that is or if he even wants to play the Olympics, especially on grass.

I hope there's nothing else wrong with him. He's had enough problems with the wrist.

reeshiesangel
04-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Del Potro seems to be on bad terms with Nalbandian, they are not best friends :

http://www.unosantafe.com.ar/deportes/La-relacion-entre-Del-Potro-y-Nalbandian-no-mejora-20110331-0004.html

http://ar.sports.yahoo.com/columnas/blog-deportes-1749.html

Del Potro is not sure to play Davis cup this year

Could you translate that in a summary if you don't mind? :) and does anyone know if Juan is playing in anymore tourney's before RG?

cobalt60
04-01-2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=10900032#post10900032

January - March stats! hope you like it

Thank you! Nice job.

Proton21
04-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Hi All Del Potro fans,
Wouldn't you like to have his signed head band?
http://www.tennisaceauctions.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=149904372&prmenbr=79830014&aunbr=150251082&cgrfnbr=134839720

Elbarto
04-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Could you translate that in a summary if you don't mind? :) and does anyone know if Juan is playing in anymore tourney's before RG?

the press conference at miami a journalist asked him what he thinks about Nalbandian ( who praised him in an article about his win against Soderling ), Del Potro answered :

"What is important when you are in bad shape/injured is to see who calls you, who remembers you and who is not. Now it's very easy to talk when you have done nothing before. "

"Great people, great players, my friends, my family ... I can count them on the fingers of the hand people who were present when I was injured,"

about the Davis cup he said "I prefer not to speak,"

I think Del Potro is in conflict with Nalbandian since the Davis cup final in 2008 when Argentina lost against Spain ( Del Potro lost his match, Nalbandian was at the end of the final very angry against Del Potro and the others argentine players )

for his schedule before RG he will play 2 tournaments ( Madrid and Roma ), maybe Barcelona or Munich if he is very healthy but I'm not sure

reeshiesangel
04-02-2011, 03:35 AM
thanks!, wow that is interesting....up until now i thought they were good friends...:confused:

LawrenceOfTennis
04-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Nalbandian always seemed to me friendly, smart guy. He's smart, but probably Delpo's right about real friends...it happens to us too. When you're down, "friends" leave you quickly, then come back if you're succesful. Bad to hear it about these two fantastic players.

LawrenceOfTennis
04-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Hope Juan Martin will stop Djokovic.

ossie
04-04-2011, 01:45 PM
is delpo going to play monte carlo?

Elbarto
04-04-2011, 03:14 PM
he is not on the entry list :

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/Players/Player-Landing.aspx

Monte-Carlo is a very difficult tournament, the slowest clay tournament ( that's why Rafa has so success at Monte Carlo ), you need to be very competitive and I think Del Potro needs more rest, he will not ready to play Monte-Carlo,

his schedule is to play 2 tournaments before Roland Garros : Madrid and Roma, and maybe one ATP250 event if he is in good shape

Deuce24
04-04-2011, 04:56 PM
He more then likely wouldn't have played Monte Carlo regardless if he was coming back from injury or not, he doesnt like the surface there for the reasons Elbarto mentioned.

LawrenceOfTennis
04-04-2011, 05:24 PM
He confirmed he will play Madrid first.

reeshiesangel
04-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Everyone---We should make a Del Potro banner for all of our signatures! :) For all the del Po fans like a lot of the other player's forums have...something like this maybe

✮∂eℓ Pσ✮
--------------------el campeón está de vuelta✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮

do you like it?

vn01
04-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I like it a lot. Let the other fans decide and if they want, give another banners ;)

btw, I'll make another thread for Delpo's tournaments(Clay and Grass seasons)

reeshiesangel
04-04-2011, 09:54 PM
I like it a lot. Let the other fans decide and if they want, give another banners ;)

Maybe i'll make a thread so that everyone can decide or suggest changes:)

cobalt60
10-24-2011, 01:12 AM
updated