ESPN/ABC to cover IW and Miami next year [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ESPN/ABC to cover IW and Miami next year

nobama
11-10-2010, 02:04 AM
(November 8, 2010) The Grand Slam network has acquired television rights for Indian Wells and Miami — and the ATP is paying the price for the three-year pact that puts the Masters 1000 events back on ESPN2 starting next March.

Both the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells and Sony Ericsson Open in Miami are paying for air time on ESPN2, according to a published report in SportsBusiness Journal written by Daniel Kaplan.

The two tournaments, which had been televised by Fox Sports Net and Tennis Channel (TC will continue to televise some matches from both events) for the past two years, will also have a much more significant presence online as ESPN3.com will offer extensive live match coverage, according to SportsBusiness Journal.

"Tennis doesn’t necessarily have to buy its way onto TV, but you have to buy to get the best TV time for our product," Sony Ericsson Open tournament director Adam Barrett told SportsBusiness Journal.

The deal is significant because it illustrates the increasing challenges tournaments face to gain television exposure in a crowded sports landscape. When ESPN relinquished rights for both Indian Wells and Miami it pointed to the fact its college basketball coverage in March diminished available hours for tennis though some speculated the network simply wasn't willing to pay the price the ATP was asking for Indian Wells and Miami rights

The ATP contacted Fox Sports Net two years ago and it televised the Masters 1000 tournaments that annually attract the highest attendance of any tournament outside of the four majors.

Tennis officials were dissatisfied with the unpredictable nature of Fox Sports Net's coverage. Because regional networks form Fox Sports Net, its coverage hours of the two events varied from market to market.

The acquisition of Indian Wells and Miami strengthens ESPN's tennis portfolio as the Grand Slam Network already owns or shares cable rights to all four Grand Slam events.

ESPN2 will televise the Indian Wells' men’s and women’s semifinals with ABC airing the Indian Wells' finals. ESPN2 will present live coverage of the Miami quarterfinals and semifinals, with CBS retaining its rights for the Miami finals.

Tennis Channel and ESPN3.com will also provide match coverage, according to SportsBusiness Journal, which reports ESPN2 will begin running promotional ads for its coverage of the tournaments in January, likely during its Australian Open coverage.

Meanwhile, CBS continues to negotiate its US Open rights deal with the USTA and is reportedly seeking a reduction in the rights fees it pays the White Plains, N.Y.-based Tennis Association.

Ivan Ljubicic defeated Rafael Nadal and Andy Roddick in succession to win his first career Masters 1000 championship at Indian Wells in March. Roddick beat Nadal and Tomas Berdych to reclaim the Key Biscayne crown he won in 2004.

Jelena Jankovic defeated Caroline Wozniacki in the Indian Wells' women's final. Kim Clijsers crushed Venus Williams to win Miami.

nobama
11-10-2010, 02:08 AM
ESPN2 will televise the Indian Wells' men’s and women’s semifinals with ABC airing the Indian Wells' finals. ESPN2 will present live coverage of the Miami quarterfinals and semifinals, with CBS retaining its rights for the Miami finals.

Tennis Channel and ESPN3.com will also provide match coverage, according to SportsBusiness Journal, which reports ESPN2 will begin running promotional ads for its coverage of the tournaments in January, likely during its Australian Open coverage.I hope ESPN3 has coverage of all rounds. Fox Sports coverage sucked but most everyone gets a regional Fox Sports channel in their basic cable package whereas Tennis Channel is usually on a sports tier that you have to pay more for. Even ESPN3 is dependent on your ISP.

When was the last time tennis was shown on ABC?

Paylu2007
11-10-2010, 02:13 AM
in Mexico we always have those tournaments on ESPN and ESPN2 so -___-

emotion
11-10-2010, 02:18 AM
I bet in Mexico the channel plays the tournament

docking34
11-10-2010, 03:56 AM
idk if this is good or not. weird thing is sports business daily is a paid journal. i couldnt even read the article w/o the OP posting it. pathetic in a sense.

good work and maybe having tennis on ABC is good. ESPN2 picking up more is also positive. These tournies need the coverage to gain mainstream.

straitup
11-10-2010, 04:16 AM
Good to see...FSN's coverage was horrendous. While it might be less, streaming on ESPN3 will be good.

Fee
11-10-2010, 04:27 AM
idk if this is good or not. weird thing is sports business daily is a paid journal. i couldnt even read the article w/o the OP posting it. pathetic in a sense.

good work and maybe having tennis on ABC is good. ESPN2 picking up more is also positive. These tournies need the coverage to gain mainstream.

The OP didn't post the SBJ article, she posted an article about the SBJ article.

I am concerned about this deal. The ATP is essentially buying the airtime, like losers buy airtime to sell natural libido enhancement remedies that don't work. Not sure I like this trend at all.

Seingeist
11-10-2010, 04:49 AM
Yeah, ESPN3 is terrific, but spotty. They covered Basel and Valencia but they're not covering Paris. :confused:

But the quality is generally fantastic.

fast_clay
11-10-2010, 05:20 AM
"Tennis doesn’t necessarily have to buy its way onto TV, but you have to buy to get the best TV time for our product," Sony Ericsson Open tournament director Adam Barrett told SportsBusiness Journal.

tennis in the u.s. certainly appears to get the shitty end of the stick at this time of year... ryan harrison needs to win a slam sooner rather than later...

guichard
11-10-2010, 05:23 AM
Yeah, ESPN3 is terrific, but spotty. They covered Basel and Valencia but they're not covering Paris. :confused:

Is ESPN3 available to everyone ? or only sprint subscriber ?

RickDaStick
11-10-2010, 05:32 AM

ESPN doesn't have the rights to Paris or any other non US 1000 event. What I love is now my xbox 360 has espn3 and watching a stream on tv is perfect quality, picture is even better then some channels. Cant wait for AUS open when they have multiple courts to choose from.

Seingeist
11-10-2010, 05:59 AM
ESPN doesn't have the rights to Paris or any other non US 1000 event. What I love is now my xbox 360 has espn3 and watching a stream on tv is perfect quality, picture is even better then some channels. Cant wait for AUS open when they have multiple courts to choose from.

Yeah, the slams on ESPN3 are fantastic. I often watch several courts simultaneously. :yeah:

And thanks for letting me know about the 1000's, I didn't know they were restricted from ESPN.

@guichard: As far as I know, ESPN3 is open to everybody. Are you having problems?

RickDaStick
11-10-2010, 06:01 AM
ESPN3 is not available to everyone. Only to people who's internet provider is contracted with espn....

out_here_grindin
11-10-2010, 06:02 AM
ESPN3 is not available to everyone. Only to people who's internet provider is contracted with espn....

the % of those are going down though. I hardly know anyone that can't use ESPN3 nowadays.

Lee
11-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Is ESPN3 available to everyone ? or only sprint subscriber ?

Depends on your ISP and is only available in US.

Seingeist
11-10-2010, 06:22 AM

I wasn't aware of that. I have Comcast, which seems to be nearly ubiquitous in the US. I don't know what the contractual situation is with other ISP's.

allpro
11-10-2010, 06:36 AM
thank god iw and miami are no longer with fox sports net. their coverage was atrocious!

espn now billing itself as "the grand slam network"?.......FAIL.

nobama
11-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Still sucks though if ESPN is only showing semis and then ABC finals. That means earlier rounds will be stuck on Tennis Channel which most people don't get with basic cable. It's usually on some sports tier that you have to pay extra for.

I'm more impressed by the improvements being made to IW (thanks Larry!).

http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/News/Tennis/2011/Pretournament/Daily-Tickets-and-Hawkeye-Replay.aspx

The BNP Paribas Open, the most-attended tennis tournament in the world outside of the four major events, to be held March 7-20, 2011 at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, will become the first tennis tournament in the history of the game to feature Hawkeye replay technology and video displays on more than three courts when all match courts are outfitted for next year’s event, it was announced today by Steve Simon, tournament director.

While most tournaments feature Hawkeye replay technology and video displays on one, two or three courts, none have made it available on eight match courts. The tournament will also be upgrading their video displays throughout the grounds – the Stadium Plaza video display will showcase feeds from three match courts, the Village Court and the Garden Club displays will feature feeds from two match courts, and information towers will be located at all three entrances and next to the practice courts, making it possible for fans to stay in touch with the action even when they are away from the courts.

http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/News/Tennis/2011/Pretournament/IWTG-Site-Improvements.aspx

The Indian Wells Tennis Garden, home of the BNP Paribas Open, an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 and Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Premier tennis tournament, to be held March 7-20, 2011, has begun a site improvement project that will include the addition of four lighted practice courts, new and upgraded sport lighting on match courts, and viewing platforms adjacent to the main practice courts, it was announced today by Steve Simon, tournament director.

The project, which was awarded to Watkins Landmark Construction, will include the replacement of the clay courts which will give the event 16 dedicated practice courts for the BNP Paribas Open and 23 courts for use by the year-round Club Members. In addition, sport lights are being added to Courts 7 and 8, which means that all tournament match courts will include lighting, and lighting is being upgraded on Stadium 2 and 3. This will give the site eight lighted match courts for the BNP Paribas Open, and 10 lighted courts for member play, lessons and clinic programs. The site is also adding viewing platforms adjacent to Courts B, D and F, which will make it easier for fans to watch players practice during the BNP Paribas Open and for other matches throughout the year.

Leo
11-10-2010, 03:58 PM
the % of those are going down though. I hardly know anyone that can't use ESPN3 nowadays.

I still can't access ESPN3 where I currently live. That's Cablevision for ya.

Thank god illegal live streams are going up in quality every day. But I do miss when I could use ESPN3 at school; it was awesome.

As for the OP, it was ridiculous that ESPN2 ever STOPPED airing Indian Wells and Miami. These are supposed to be the "5th Slams," the most attended tennis tournaments in the world outside the Majors, the crown jewels of US tennis apart from the summer tour, and the best we could do was FSN? The quality of the picture was grainy with FSN too; they simply don't have the same production value as ESPN. However, only the semis and final from IW? That's still really pathetic. I'm sure lucky TTC and ESPN3 viewers will have access to the earlier rounds whereas I'll have to rely on internet feeds.

I still remember at the start of last decade when ESPN2 carried IW and Miami from the pre-QF rounds, as well as all the non-American TMSes with one match a day from the R16-F. Sigh. :(

Leo
11-10-2010, 04:00 PM
I wasn't aware of that. I have Comcast, which seems to be nearly ubiquitous in the US. I don't know what the contractual situation is with other ISP's.

Cablevision.

TimeWarner and Comcast are good to go with ESPN3. It even took Cablevision extra long to offer TTC with ANY of their sports/premium packages. It was insane.