Paris R1: Gasquet def. Mahut 7-5 4-6 7-6(7) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Paris R1: Gasquet def. Mahut 7-5 4-6 7-6(7)

scarecrows
11-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Mahut too erratic at the net
some nice points in the last set and exciting TB, Gasquet took it in his 5th MP. Mahut didnt have any

Iván
11-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Gasquet running on raw talent alone

playing with zero confindence

scarecrows
11-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Mahut was more accurate on difficult low volleys than in easy high ones

Certinfy
11-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Mahut :bigcry: :hug:

Gasquet should be killed next round by Federer anyway :woohoo:

ImmzB
11-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Allez Gasquet!! :woohoo:

Tight match!!

Blackbriar
11-08-2010, 09:18 PM
pfff that was scary, Mahut looked so easy on his serve in 3rd set. Gasquet played a great TB, the rest of the match was... well he said it. He was really happy to win in the end, he showed some unusual (positive) emotions today. He is far from his best level. did not play too far behind the baselin today.

he said the ball is really quick and rebounds on slice are really low.

Voo de Mar
11-08-2010, 09:18 PM
:(

Mahut was too tentative at 6:6 and 7:7 in the tie-break, after saving a couple match points in such a stage of the match you have to be more aggressive :smash:

Blackbriar
11-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Mahut deserved the win i admit, but Richard hold his nerves even when Nico came back in the TB, he survived, that's all he can ask for now. not good enough to do more. he has one day to prepare for his last match of the season.

Sapeod
11-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Poor Nicolas, better player lost here.

Federer should own this clown next round :D

ApproachShot
11-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Such a close match! One feels that either could have won.

Filo V.
11-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Fuck this bullshit result. The crowd along with I'm sure pretty much 80% of fans wanted Mahut to win this. This is a horrible result. Very very disappointing.

Nicolas made some great shots at the net but he missed too many returns, too many easy volleys and wasn't consistent enough in general. But he was the one making most of the plays, and that makes it even more disappointing, he was the one dictating. Damn, he needed this win WAY more than Richie did. Now looks like qualifying at AO.

Doomach777
11-08-2010, 09:28 PM
:(

Puschkin
11-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Nicolas made some great shots at the net but he missed too many returns, too many easy volleys and wasn't consistent enough in general. But he was the one making most of the plays, and that makes it even more disappointing, he was the one dictating.

In the second set, he wasn't dominating, but lucky to win it. In the third he was more convincing, I agree.

I liked what I saw from Richard today, he was close to the baseline on returns, even tried to step in, it did not always work, but it was great to see that he tried. And he did never look as iif he would resignate. Nice emotions at the end. :D
Mahut served superbly in the third set and hit some gorgeous volleys throughout.

Paylu2007
11-08-2010, 09:55 PM

this.

Blackbriar
11-08-2010, 09:56 PM
agree, he was happy for sure but i hope he will show some good tennis against Roger.

Chiakifug
11-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Doper lucky that Mahut was shit at the net in the tiebreak.

Schu
11-08-2010, 10:01 PM

By definition the better player (at least on a given day) is the player that WON. By ranking, Gasquet is also the better player. Mahut was the more aggressive and made some wonderful volleys but he had to because his ground game was horrid. Gasquet on the other hand hit some great passing shots including one in the TB that basically won it for him and he was noticably more aggresive than usual in his court position; I almost couldn't find him because he was so much closer to the baseline than usual.

Kudos to Gasquet for not caving in after missing so many break point chances and a few match points. It also must have been very hard for Gasquet to play against the "French hero" as I expect most of the crowd was pulling for Mahut although they did seem to apprecaite the play from both.

Hewitt =Legend
11-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Nice work Gasquet, got there in the end but he really should have converted more break points, 1/8 won't cut it I'm afraid.

If he can bring his top game against Federer we could be in for a cracker.

Orka_n
11-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Mahut :banghead: so close!

navy75
11-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Could this year be any more heartbreaking for Nicolas??? Losing 9-7 in a 3rd set breaker in his home country's 1000 event against Gasquet as a WC just makes me sick for him.

shiaben
11-09-2010, 01:10 AM
After glimpses of this match, I doubt Gasquet can even make a close match with Federer.

Topspindoctor
11-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Mahut :sad:

Should be roasting losers like Gasquet in his sleep. Bad for the game.

Sham Kay
11-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Talent beats fitness, hard work and raw determination.

Not good.

Getta
11-09-2010, 01:46 AM
but fair.

fast_clay
11-09-2010, 02:54 AM
i didnt enjoy seeing gasquet win one bit...

on the upside, the court really suited mahuts style of play... hope they keep it for the future...

cutesteve22
11-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Richard had so many BPs in last 2 sets, happy that he could win

Geo
11-09-2010, 03:18 AM
Mahut really could have won this :( He missed 2 backhands in the tiebreak that would have given him the lead :o He's always losing heartbreakers :lol::o

kindling
11-09-2010, 05:29 AM
Too bad for Mahut. Played a good match, and glad to see him not seem too upset over the loss.

Blackbriar
11-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Talent beats fitness, hard work and raw determination.

Not good.

please, your hatred toward Gasquet make you say wrong things. stupid things. Mahut was returning incredibly bad, and broke only via a DF from Richard (choking as usual). Richard really wanted the win too.
Even when your favorite Murray wants the win desperately, he is beaten sometimes :rolleyes:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
11-09-2010, 02:34 PM
So pissed that Nicolas didn't win the 3rd set. :banghead: He missed the volley on last shot. :help: As usual,he serves well but it's surprised that he is crappy on the net as a serve and volley player.He can play some nice shots but he needs more consistency.If he wants to be back to top 100 or 50 he has to return better and be more solid on the baseline.

I was sad and pissed becasue Nicolas lost the very tight match again,it just makes me sick to my stomach.He would have probably lost Federer anyway but he needs this win and ranking points so bad. :sad: But it's not the end of the world,he has nothing to defend until next March.
So far he didn't plan to play upcoming challengers but if he plays,anyone knows what's the deadline of participating in these tours?

Sham Kay
11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
please, your hatred toward Gasquet make you say wrong things. stupid things. Mahut was returning incredibly bad, and broke only via a DF from Richard (choking as usual). Richard really wanted the win too.
Even when your favorite Murray wants the win desperately, he is beaten sometimes :rolleyes:
Yup. Nobody said hard work = guaranteed to play well. Just a tad disappointed for Mahut is all. No hate towards Richie, I love his bh too much even when it misses to hate on him.