Taylor Dent retired. Good luck in new life! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Taylor Dent retired. Good luck in new life!

DanaKz
11-08-2010, 05:21 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/dougrobson/status/1684737269694464

Taylor Dent calling it quits, announces retirement through agent

:bigcry:

HKz
11-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Eh, he did really well to come back, so best of luck to him. He will enjoy life :)

bjurra
11-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Good decision.

Good luck with life after tennis, Taylor! It was a pleasure watching you when you were at your best.

Singularity
11-08-2010, 05:26 PM
That's sad. He'd made it back into the top 100, which was quite an impressive achievement.

Dupuis2006
11-08-2010, 05:26 PM
WTF, he fought so hard to comeback and was doing decently.

bjurra
11-08-2010, 05:29 PM
WTF, he fought so hard to comeback and was doing decently.

I think he had higher expectations.

DanaKz
11-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Cronin and other reporters in twitter say he plans to "stay in tennis"

Seingeist
11-08-2010, 05:34 PM
That's a shame. Really decent guy who made a valiant effort to fight back into the top 100 after being told he would not be able to play tennis at all anymore. His fighting spirit will be missed in the ATP.

dombrfc
11-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Couldnt fulfil his hopes within this comeback.

Best of luck in all future endeavours.

One of tennis' genuine good guys.

MacTheKnife
11-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Good for him. It was that or drop a bunch of weight. Can't see that happening so... Will miss him.

habibko
11-08-2010, 05:38 PM
the end of an inspirational comeback story :sad: best of luck, your style will be missed.

samanosuke
11-08-2010, 05:40 PM
His serve motion will never be forgotten

Snowwy
11-08-2010, 05:46 PM
:sad:

DanaKz
11-08-2010, 05:50 PM
His new life now :)
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3962/46540430398854169602619.jpg

dombrfc
11-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Well guys, I announced my retirement from the ATP Tour today..want to thank all of you for your support over all those years. I had the privilege to compete at the highest level for 12 year, see places in the world I would have never been able to see without tennis, and meet people along the way that have become lifelong friends.

Inspiration.

Arkulari
11-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Good luck Taylor, you are a true inspirational history after all the physical issues you had :yeah:

Pirata.
11-08-2010, 06:07 PM
That kid is as big as he is :lol:

But very cute :)

Voo de Mar
11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
He played 2 and a half year since his comeback after the injury. He's 29, still it's not the age to retire but maybe the fact he couldn't get to the place where he was before the injury was crucial for his decision.

tennisfan856
11-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I think he knows that his style isn't going to cut it anymore on the tour. Players are too good off the baseline nowadays and I am sure he felt the pressure to be perfect in every service game of his.

Hopefully, his back is fine and he didn't receive any new information that may have forced him into retirement.

So long Taylor, now go replace Gimelstob on Tennis channel.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
11-08-2010, 06:16 PM
will be missed

sad to see another serve and voleyer taken out because of the changes to tennis

tennis died a little today

careergrandslam
11-08-2010, 06:26 PM
people, he didnt die.
the comments here are making it sound like he died or something.
chill out. he just retired.

Certinfy
11-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Sad day :sad:

tennisfan856
11-08-2010, 06:31 PM
people, he didnt die.
chill out. he just retired.

I don't see anything wrong with the posts in this thread. They all admired his serve and volley game, his ability to come back into the top 100 after MAJOR back surgery (sidelined for a whole year with a metal contraption attached to him), and they are rightfully sad that he's kind of cutting his career short again.

Orka_n
11-08-2010, 06:33 PM
people, he didnt die.
chill out. he just retired.Shut up. You would drown in your own tears if Nadal announced his retirement.

As for Taylor, I hope he has a good life moving forward. I was never his fan but he seemed like a genuinely good guy in the interviews.

latso
11-08-2010, 06:35 PM
lol, one would expect tons of sarcasm and hating in an MTF thread like this, surprisingly the inverse

In any case, no one retires because he feels that his style is not good enough...lol, that was funny :D

Two possible reasons - health issues, dope issues

This is the reality

He won't be missed much, whatever the fans say.

btw, when he was getting back he made a website, was preparing for a cruise into ATP quite fast. It did happen just as fast as the most optimistical fans would have expected, so it wasn't about his results, far from that

I hope he states the reasons soon

allpro
11-08-2010, 06:39 PM
best of luck, blanka :drink:

SlicedAce
11-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Shut up. You would drown in your own tears if Nadal announced his retirement.

As for Taylor, I hope he has a good life moving forward. I was never his fan but he seemed like a genuinely good guy in the interviews.

Not even a minutely comparable situation on any level. Dent retiring is a bit like Karlovic retiring or something.

Goodluck with whatever he does next, no idea if he has a health condition, but surely dedication to the game would have made him eager to lose the extra pounds which he was packing?

Orka_n
11-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Not even a minutely comparable situation on any level. Dent retiring is a bit like Karlovic retiring or something.You don't even understand, so don't correct me. Dent obviously doesn't mean as much to tennis as Nadal does, but that is completely irrelevant. There are fans of Dent here that like him as a player and are sad he's retiring. Career "Multiaccount Clown" Grandslam thinks they shouldn't whine so much because "Dent didn't die". And I pointed out that they have a right to say exactly what they want since they like him as a player. CGS is a hypocrite of the highest order and will probably stop watching tennis the day Nadal hangs up his racquet.

loopback
11-08-2010, 06:59 PM
so young

tennisfan856
11-08-2010, 07:00 PM
lol, one would expect tons of sarcasm and hating in an MTF thread like this, surprisingly the inverse

In any case, no one retires because he feels that his style is not good enough...lol, that was funny :D

This is the reality

btw, when he was getting back he made a website, was preparing for a cruise into ATP quite fast. It did happen just as fast as the most optimistical fans would have expected, so it wasn't about his results, far from that

There is nothing wrong with the logic that he may have felt his serve and volley game isn't quite going to take him to the level of the tennis he used to enjoy in the early 2000's.

Why the hell would he rehab so much, around 2 years, and then take peds? That is a ridiculous assumption.
He's had only one retirement since May, and that was due to fatigue issues.

Not one retirement was related to the back either. This may be just a case of him wanting to spend time with his wife and kid more than anything.

Fee
11-08-2010, 07:13 PM
I think this is retirement out of understanding that despite all the hard work he has done, including losing a lot of weight, he is never going to be 100%. With his style of tennis, he needs incredible fitness and speed, and his body just could not get back to that level. He has expressed a little bit of disappointment in his results on his FB fan page recently. I think he weighed the benefits vs the costs of staying on tour, and he decided that it was time to stay home with his family and put his energy into other things.

In my opinion, Rafter retired prematurely but for similar reasons. His game was taking a toll on his physical health and he just didn't want to be on the road 42 weeks a year dealing with it. This is the same decision that Tommy Haas will come to soon as well, his child is due any day and his body is a wreck. I'm sure 2011 will be his last season on tour, if he can even make it to more than a few events.

Montego
11-08-2010, 07:16 PM
see ya Dent,

nice effort to come back from unranked to Top100, shows how talented he was.

But tbh only die hard tennis fans like MTF will remember him, casual tennis fans will forget about him in January 2011

DartMarcus
11-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Very sad moment for tennis.
I am also disappointed that his last match was losing to De Voest on CH. Such a great player like Taylor deserves retiring at USO or some other big stage. :sad: :sad: :sad:

tennisfan856
11-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Fee, your points make a ton of sense. He probably didn't see the fruits of his labor and has become rather frustrated by it. I remember seeing Rafter in an interview a couple months ago, and he felt like wanting to die after a grueling tournament or grand slam because of all the soreness and pain. If that is what Taylor is going through, then you can't blame him.

Latso, I completely understand where you are coming from because this can be considered a "sudden" retirement. I do have my suspicions on Henin, but Dementieva just seems to be a burnout product for me. Also seems too classy of a person to damager her body but we've been deceived many times in sports.

I hope Taylor didn't juice and Fee is just right with the assessment. The fact that he wasn't really able to enjoy the first year of his son's life probably also ate away at him a little bit. A child wasn't in his mind-set when rehabbing so life threw him a curveball.

SlicedAce
11-08-2010, 07:25 PM

Ok I can see your point, but that doesn't give you the right to tell him to "shut-up", it's a forum isn't it? Where people express their opinions no matter how stupid.

Pirao666
11-08-2010, 07:31 PM
He made a living doing what he loved to do, I don't think he has any regrets.

latso
11-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Fee, your points make a ton of sense. He probably didn't see the fruits of his labor and has become rather frustrated by it. I remember seeing Rafter in an interview a couple months ago, and he felt like wanting to die after a grueling tournament or grand slam because of all the soreness and pain. If that is what Taylor is going through, then you can't blame him.

Latso, I completely understand where you are coming from because this can be considered a "sudden" retirement. I do have my suspicions on Henin, but Dementieva just seems to be a burnout product for me. Also seems too classy of a person to damager her body but we've been deceived many times in sports.

I hope Taylor didn't juice and Fee is just right with the assessment. The fact that he wasn't really able to enjoy the first year of his son's life probably also ate away at him a little bit. A child wasn't in his mind-set when rehabbing so life threw him a curveball.
fair enough. a bit idealistic even for my taste, but could be.

Sometimes when a few factors align and you are already in the mindset of doing what you do for the kid and not for yourself, ppl sometimes take such illogical at first sight decisions.

In any case the main factor would be the constant pain and eventually it limiting the guy's tennis, which is a good reason to stop and adding the family on top and you'd have enough reasons i guess

kyleskywalker007
11-08-2010, 07:58 PM
As much of his style was refreshing to see these days, i guess deep down he knew he wasn't getting anywhere near the top playing serve and volley :S. Passing shots are a bitch nowadays.

ApproachShot
11-08-2010, 08:24 PM
I hope he is remembered for his determination and refusal to give up (despite injury) his childhood dream - which was to play professional tennis. Wish him all the best in his life and it would certainly serve tennis well to have him stay connected in some capacity to the sport.

Fee
11-08-2010, 08:26 PM
fair enough. a bit idealistic even for my taste, but could be.

Sometimes when a few factors align and you are already in the mindset of doing what you do for the kid and not for yourself, ppl sometimes take such illogical at first sight decisions.

In any case the main factor would be the constant pain and eventually it limiting the guy's tennis, which is a good reason to stop and adding the family on top and you'd have enough reasons i guess

I don't know you at all, and I'm not familiar with your posts on this forum to make any guesses about you, but you made quite a jump of logic with Justine, Elena, and Taylor, in my opinion.

Let me ask you this - have you ever traveled to a foreign country for a week or two at a time? Do you remember how you felt at the end of that trip when you got home and you were so tired, so glad the trip was over, so sick of the site of your luggage, and so happy to back in your own bed? Now imagine what that feels like being on the road for 10 - 12 weeks at a time. There are so many tennis fans who only think about the tennis and don't consider the toll that traveling takes on these players over the years. That toll gets even worse when you add a wife and child that you are constantly saying goodbye to. Add back pain on top of that, and the realization that you could spend the next year on the road, in a new city every week, and maybe only move up the rankings 10 places after all that. Yeah, I would stay home.

As for Justine, I said in another thread that I think she stopped so suddenly to deal with mental health issues and she just did not want to go public with that. Elena has been on tour since she was a teenager, about 15 years. She's in love, she wants a normal life, and physically, she wants to save her body for the rigors of child bearing (you go girl, with your beautiful babies).

Instead of thinking like a (cynical) fan, try to think of this like a pro player. I know many people on this forum hate Justin, but I had this conversation with him back in 2006 after his back surgery, and again in 2007 after he played his first match back at Indian Wells. I'm still having this conversation with Jan-Michael (he has not retired yet, despite all of his injuries). It is not an easy decision for them, and while it may seem sudden to fans, it rarely is to the players.

ryan23
11-08-2010, 08:27 PM
He be back again in 18 months or so for more money, thats all he cares about

Doomach777
11-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Gl!

Action Jackson
11-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Dent being doped up that shit is funny. No point playing if he isn't enjoying the game, good luck in his life after tennis.

Filo V.
11-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Saying Taylor is a doper is just inappropriate at this point, where there is no evidence. Henin, is a different situation, where rumors have surrounded her. Let's not turn this into a speculative thread, and disrespect and defame the name and career of Dent.

Taylor made the correct decision for him. Judging from quotes I've read from him, he was frustrated. The game he loves to play, S&V/chip and charge/net, just isn't wholly effective at this point. The fact he went from un-ranked to the top 100 in a year is a testament to his ability, but he clearly felt like he reached a ceiling, and he could not return to his previous level. He's also been dealing with some physical issues on and off for a bit. Seems as if this is something he's been thinking about for a while, and if he feels his time is up, than I wish him well in his future life with his wife and child. Such a hard working, nice and grounded guy, he will be missed.

Hewitt =Legend
11-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Good luck in the next phase of your life Taylor. It's such a shame his career was ruined by injuries, it was refreshing to see his old school style in the midst of todays almost one dimensional game.

BodyServe
11-08-2010, 10:03 PM
No more 150 mph serves :(

He was better in 2009 than 2010, maybe one of the reason he retired.

paseo
11-08-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm still having this conversation with Jan-Michael (he has not retired yet, despite all of his injuries).

Really?

Mechlan
11-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Sad to see one of the last true S/V players leave the game. Good luck Taylor.

Orka_n
11-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Ok I can see your point, but that doesn't give you the right to tell him to "shut-up", it's a forum isn't it? Where people express their opinions no matter how stupid.Though I agree with this, you don't know who you are defending. Though it might look it, I'm not the bad guy here. That person is one of the biggest trolls on MTF, and he lives only to start fights over Nadal's achievements. Just look at his post here. Dent isn't a top 3 player so the people that are sad that he's retiring are just overreacting. :rolleyes: (Which means, I wasn't the first one here to indicate people aren't free to express their opinions, he was.)
If this had been his first dumb post here, I wouldn't be telling him to shut up. As it is, he's just trolling as usual.

Fee
11-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Really?

yeah... :sad: I watched him play his most recent matches at the Irvine futures. He was in so much pain, worst I think I'd ever seen in person. But, he played well for a guy on one bad knee, and he just doesnt want to stop playing yet. If two months rest doesn't fix it, nothing will, but as ridiculous as the last few years have been for him, I'm not ready for him to officially retire yet either. My denial is worse than his I think.

Fujee
11-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Very best of luck to him, inspirational, courageous player and overall nice guy, he will enjoy life off the circuit with his family i imagine. Enjoy your winnings Mr. Dent!

KarlyM
11-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Good luck to Taylor! :yeah:
His comeback was a real inspiration. It's sad to see him go, but it's understandable. ;)

luie
11-08-2010, 11:58 PM
So anyone who retires unexpectedly is a doper ??? Some logic.
Why would the ATP highlight some,Canas,Puerta,Gasquet,some iranian guy etc & hide others.

Sham Kay
11-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Ah Taylor. First time I ever watched my fave player play on the main tour was against this guy in Queens. Good old Taylor rolled over, so I've always been thankful for that. Will be severely missed by us hardcore tennis fans.

On a more cheery note, if Taylor was this large while training and playing tennis, just imagine how large he's going to get. Can hardly wait to see him in a couple years.

DorianGray7
11-09-2010, 01:57 AM
He was never gonna win a Grand Slam so why even bother.

Its the same as people telling Federer to retire because he wasn't winning 2 or 3 slams a year and beating everybody. What's the point of even playing anymore?

Geo
11-09-2010, 02:24 AM
aww that's too bad :sad: He was doing OK during his comeback. He could have had a much better career if he had worked on his fitness early in his career, before all the injuries. The extra weight really ruined his chances :o :shrug:

Roddickominator
11-09-2010, 03:51 AM
He was a warrior on court who gave his all and tried to carry the S&V torch as far as he could. A shame that he couldn't get back to peak form after his injury....but really he was lucky to ever play again at the highest levels due to the severity of it. Good luck to Dent in the future.

careergrandslam
11-09-2010, 06:25 AM
Shut up. You would drown in your own tears if Nadal announced his retirement.

i will cry my eyeballs out when rafa retires, probably be depressed for like a week.
and watch all the tribute videos made for him on youtube.
thats how much i love rafa.

videos like this one.

Wv7UPjkHHvY

Seingeist
11-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Please save the dumb Nadal videos for Nadal threads. It has no place here in an otherwise decent memorial for the ATP career of Taylor Dent.

Go away please.

jrm
11-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Strange now that he broke in top100 :shrug:

hicdick
11-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Please save the dumb Nadal videos for Nadal threads. It has no place here in an otherwise decent memorial for the ATP career of Taylor Dent.

Go away please.

this.
good luck taylor, he will be missed.

HarryMan
11-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Best of luck in your new life Taylor. It was a pleasure to watch your style of play. Very few people actually end up pursuing a career about what they love to do, you are one of the lucky few that managed to do it for more than 12 years of your life. :)

latso
11-09-2010, 11:25 AM
So anyone who retires unexpectedly is a doper ??? Some logic.
Why would the ATP highlight some,Canas,Puerta,Gasquet,some iranian guy etc & hide others.
because they wouldn't retire?

Looks like a rule in ATP - you get caught, you retire - we stfu and u do the same
You want to play - we ban ur arse

but enough with the dope stuff, it's speculations and they aren't basd on anything but assumptions

though one piece of explanation would have helped Taylor's case imho

latso
11-09-2010, 11:27 AM
BTW, why wouldn't he take advantage of the free Australia vacation with the family?

He has the ranking for MD and you get enough just showing up there to make an awesome vacation and even save some

which sane pro would neglect this just because...err i don't even know why :rolleyes:

Snoo Foo
11-09-2010, 12:38 PM
BTW, why wouldn't he take advantage of the free Australia vacation with the family?

forrealz, who in their right mind wouldn't want to spend 15+ hours (each way) on an airplane with an infant to go spend a few days somewhere you've already been half a dozen times?

latso
11-09-2010, 12:44 PM
forrealz, who in their right mind wouldn't want to spend 15+ hours (each way) on an airplane with an infant to go spend a few days somewhere you've already been half a dozen times?
ok, fair enough

and i stop it coz i got warned for some reason :rolleyes:

as it seem everything is allowed (racism, swearing, insultingbashing, etc.) but not speculating about dope

the rules are the rules, as laughable they might be, so i stfu

Fujee
11-09-2010, 12:46 PM
This announcement just makes me think how impressive it is for a player to even be the in top 200, when you think about all the competition and obstacles which challenge players on their road to the top. Gonna miss this guy, S&V is so rare now :(

thrust
11-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Good decision.

Good luck with life after tennis, Taylor! It was a pleasure watching you when you were at your best.

SO TRUE! He is also an outstanding gentleman.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
11-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Taylor will be missed.Sad to see he was struggling a lot with his back injury.But tennis is not everything,best of luck to him and his family. :D

I agree that it's quite sad to see serve and volley players are becoming lesser.

Fee
11-09-2010, 06:16 PM

He has the ranking for MD and you get enough just showing up there to make an awesome vacation and even save some

which sane pro would neglect this just because...err i don't even know why :rolleyes:

You can't do math. For 3 people to fly to Australia so Taylor can lose in the first round would not end up being free, not even with his per diem thrown in. It might end up as free for one, but not 3.

You've demonstrated at least 3 times that you have no clue why Taylor made the decision he did, despite repeated attempts to explain it to you in simple terms. He's in pain and he decided that the travel and work required is not worth the ranking he would be able to achieve at this point in his life. Mature adults understand when it is time to move on.

tennishero
11-09-2010, 07:01 PM
good luck to him, he finished on a high (relatively).

latso
11-10-2010, 06:38 AM
You can't do math. For 3 people to fly to Australia so Taylor can lose in the first round would not end up being free, not even with his per diem thrown in. It might end up as free for one, but not 3.

You've demonstrated at least 3 times that you have no clue why Taylor made the decision he did, despite repeated attempts to explain it to you in simple terms. He's in pain and he decided that the travel and work required is not worth the ranking he would be able to achieve at this point in his life. Mature adults understand when it is time to move on.
i said that in my very first post

and i'm suposed to be the non native English speaker here :rolleyes:

Fee
11-10-2010, 08:17 AM
i said that in my very first post

and i'm suposed to be the non native English speaker here :rolleyes:

Actually, no you did not. :rolleyes:

This is the reality

"health issues" could be anything. bit vague there.

JMG
11-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Good decision by Dent I guess. A lot of his matches were unbearable to watch this season and that scares people away from tennis. Good luck!

Horatio Caine
11-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Dent doping? :spit: Geez...

I wish him the best of luck in his retirement. :yeah: He should be proud of his achievements, especially to be able to come back after the horrific back injuries. That took incredibly strong will-power, and commitment, and at least he got some reward for all that training...a re-entry to the top 100, and a last couple of solid seasons on the Tour, neither of which I thought would be remotely possible (also considering his game style). I have had the pleasure of exchanging a few words with him a few years back, and he was as humble and approachable as others have said he is to this day. Other players, and individuals, could learn from his attitude.

In some respects he goes out at the top of his game - at the very best level he is now capable of. As other posters have mentioned, really there was no prospect of his results getting any better. The chances were that he'd gradually slip into oblivion, and it takes some courage to realise that in the position he is in (which certainly isn't a bad one). He gets to retire with a little dignity, in stark contrast to a player like Spadea who just can't let go.

FairWeatherFan
11-10-2010, 08:22 PM
He played a more entertaining style than 99.9% of the pathetic clowns who play "tennis" nowadays.

asmazif
11-10-2010, 10:48 PM
:sad:

have a nice life Mr Dent.

fran70
11-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Taylor is a player that I will miss. I really enjoyed watching him playing, especially I liked to copy his serving movement.

Good luck in your life after tennis!!!

Audacity
11-17-2010, 03:19 AM
Feel priveliged to be able to meet him in person, great person. Best of luck.