Paris court speed [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Paris court speed

samanosuke
11-08-2010, 01:44 PM
It looks much faster then last year and Clement also said in his interview after Lopez's match that is maybe the fastest indoor tournament this year

philosophicalarf
11-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Gerflor has evolved quite strangely - it's very fast for big serves, the serve stats are high indeed (not quite memphis/sanjose/montpellier, but not far off). However, most rally shots don't seem to get through the court. Partly that's the balls though, they decelerate quite fast through the air, and the arena here is apparently quite cold to boot.

Lyon last year they played with the same surface and faster Dunlops, it was even more of a serving contest, tons of aces.

fast_clay
11-08-2010, 01:50 PM
if that is true... then... that is the direction the end of year tour events need to move... the way it used to be...

shorter points = shorter matches = less taxing end of year on the body = fresher players for WTF = longer careers, 5 set finals etc etc

MalwareDie
11-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Gerflor has evolved quite strangely - it's very fast for big serves, the serve stats are high indeed (not quite memphis/sanjose/montpellier, but not far off). However, most rally shots don't seem to get through the court. Partly that's the balls though, they decelerate quite fast through the air, and the arena here is apparently quite cold to boot.

Lyon last year they played with the same surface and faster Dunlops, it was even more of a serving contest, tons of aces.

This sounds much better suited for Soderling than the horribly slow courts of Valencia.

Corey Feldman
11-08-2010, 02:06 PM
does look lightning fast

maybe this is why Nadal really WD

Lopez had like 28 aces in first 2 sets

Johnny Groove
11-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Never in doubt.

Of course the court speed is fast, Nadal isn't playing :rolleyes:

If he was, all I would hear is: "This court is so slow, moonballer, spanish ATP mafia" :zzz:

samanosuke
11-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Berrer's loss against Fognini is a very strange thing if the court is that fast

philosophicalarf
11-08-2010, 02:09 PM
does look lightning fast

maybe this is why Nadal really WD

Lopez had like 28 aces in first 2 sets

A lot of that is just Clement not reading the serve though - you can ace at 90mph on a clay court if the returner doesn't move.

Corey Feldman
11-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Never in doubt.

Of course the court speed is fast, Nadal isn't playing :rolleyes:

If he was, all I would hear is: "This court is so slow, moonballer, spanish ATP mafia" :zzz:;)

maybe was his silent protest, didnt Fed and Rafa decide how this court should be set up a few years ago?

jrm
11-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Don't know about the surface but it liiked painfully slow when i was watching Malisse vs Nieminen!

Johnny Groove
11-08-2010, 02:57 PM
;)

maybe was his silent protest, didnt Fed and Rafa decide how this court should be set up a few years ago?

Depends on who you believe.

Ad Wim
11-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Just watched Llodra-Starace and it didn't look that fast to me.

MalwareDie
11-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Read philosophicalarf's first post. Serve friendly, but the balls and the temperature slow play down in general.

philosophicalarf
11-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Don't know about the surface but it liiked painfully slow when i was watching Malisse vs Nieminen!

Nemo said afterwards it was really fast :-)

Not mocking you btw, it's really difficult to tell court speed off TV, especially with the camera angle they have on centre court (court1 is better). This is also one of the stranger surfaces going, and the balls make everything but big hits look snail pace.

Just was told about this elsewhere:
http://www.welovetennis.fr/paris-bercy/29096-ca-va-beaucoup-plus-vite

They increased the speed for this year, from 38 to 45 (bang on medium, to outright fast). They did say they'd do that for last year's event, but seems it got delayed.

henke007
11-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Nadal didn't wanna hurt his confidence going into London so he came up with some crap medical issue, that's how fast the courts are in Paris!

fast_clay
11-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Nadal didn't wanna hurt his confidence going into London so he came up with some crap medical issue, that's how fast the courts are in Paris!

'ooh... es too quick, no...? is beddy fast, rafa no see, no...? ... hmm... no no... shoulder is sore now long season beddy long...'

Manequin75
11-08-2010, 05:31 PM
how is the WTF london surface compared to Paris? Which other court is comparable to the O2 arena in london?

Manequin75
11-08-2010, 05:36 PM

nadal made the semifinals in paris last year. He has points to defend and these are important points what with Fed racing up and winning everything in sight lately. He withdrew even before he came to paris and knew the courts might be playing fast this year. I agree that there is not much point playing here and risking an injury that might sideline him for london and more importantly for AO 2011.

latso
11-08-2010, 05:37 PM
how is the WTF london surface compared to Paris? Which other court is comparable to the O2 arena in london?
I believe surface wise it should have AO's characteristics, but it's indoors

though AO is hot, so the balls jump more, hile indoors not as much

at the end of the day - O2 will be with 7.8% slower than Paris

which doesn't give advantage to anyone if Karlovic isn't playing

*same counts for 98% of the faster courts in the world - the top 8 don't care. The rest - Mahut has better chances against Almagro f.e. but in London it doesn't really matter

nobama
11-08-2010, 05:43 PM
what's up with the damn camera angle on CC? :o

bokehlicious
11-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Forget said the organizers sped up the surface to help Roger get the trophy there... Fedtards everywhere :rolleyes: :p

Sapeod
11-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Fast enough that Nadal wusses out.
Good for tennis.

philosophicalarf
11-08-2010, 06:17 PM
how is the WTF london surface compared to Paris?

Same slow balls, slightly higher bouncing. Slower surface than this year's Paris so not so friendly to servers.

Which other court is comparable to the O2 arena in london?

Metz maybe.

Deivid23
11-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Court ain´t that fast at all, ball gets a lot of bounce, looks medium paced at best to me

Corey Feldman
11-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Court ain´t that fast at all, ball gets a lot of bounce, looks medium paced at best to meNice to see you are still blind as ever, parrot

samanosuke
11-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Nice to see you are still blind as ever, parrot

+1

Bounce can't be lower then he is

philosophicalarf
11-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Ball bounce is about 20% lower than Shanghai, says Mr Hawkeye. About what you'd expect, Decocolor usually bounces higher than Gerflor, and the balls are the same.

nobama
11-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Tennis-We need fast courts like Paris, say Djokovic and Roddick (http://eurosport.yahoo.com/10112010/2/tennis-need-fast-courts-paris-say-djokovic-roddick.html)

Tennis needs faster courts because the slower surfaces are helping baseliners and killing off serve and volleying, Novak Djokovic and Andy Roddick said at the Paris Masters on Wednesday.

The early rounds here have seen Djokovic, Fernando Verdasco and Andy Murray struggle early on as they try to get to grips with a court that has had a complete overhaul since 2009.

"It's very fast ... a lot different from last year (which) was quite slow," defending champion Djokovic told reporters after reaching the third round with a 6-4 6-3 win over Argentine Juan Monaco.

"It's good to have a faster court so you can make the players go to the net a little bit more."

The Serb said most courts nowadays were slow, whether indoor or outdoor.

"The players that are on top of men's tennis these days are baseline players," said Djokovic. "You don't see a lot of serve and volleying because everybody's returning so well."

Roddick breezed past Finn Jarkko Nieminen 6-1 6-4 with a mix of booming serves and subtle volleys, something the eighth-seeded American feels is missing from the game.

"It's a different type of tennis ... you get rewarded for chipping balls around," he said.

"I believe it's become so monotonous ... it feels like there is a slow court available nine months of the year."

World number one Rafael Nadal has been one of the biggest beneficiaries, winning Wimbledon twice in three years as the grass courts have slowed down.

"It's not surprising," said Roddick. "Now even Roger (Federer) says he stays back a lot more than he used to."

Fujee
11-10-2010, 10:52 PM
How much faster is this than the US Open courts? I know its outside/inside, but it would be interesting to know. The green is so sexy as well.

fast_clay
11-10-2010, 10:57 PM
good to hear future serve volley merchant djokovic voicing his opinion...

Fujee
11-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Its actually so frustrating how homogenised tennis has become.

Henry Chinaski
11-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Pretty much every player has said the court is lightning fast.

I think Murray said it was the fastest indoor court he'd ever played on

fast_clay
11-10-2010, 11:15 PM
hopefully the french are leading a big tournament renaissance... realising the follies of the last half decade... the atp totally misunderstood the fact that a constant is not the spice, but variety...

in surface... in players...

Henry Chinaski
11-10-2010, 11:18 PM
yup. There is every reason to speed up surfaces. Like you already said. Slow hardcourts are murder on the joints.

I'd appoint the director of the DC stadium in Minsk to a new Speed It Up ATP committee

MalwareDie
11-11-2010, 12:03 AM
I applaud the Frenchies for having several tournaments that aren't slow. Marseille, Montpellier, and Paris are all reasonably quick.

Corey Feldman
11-11-2010, 12:08 AM
so refreshing to watch this week

wait 10 days for London and see the diff when they get back on that clay and Nadal is in his element :o

philosophicalarf
11-11-2010, 12:15 AM
I applaud the Frenchies for having several tournaments that aren't slow. Marseille, Montpellier, and Paris are all reasonably quick.

Metz was speeded up last year also. Not quite in Montpellier/Paris class, but a lot faster than it was in the past (no more Robredo winning it!).

It's not just the French either, Vienna and especially San Jose were also speeded up of late. It's just the new events that are ultra slow (Kuala Lumpur, Valencia), and most of those that moved from carpet are fairly slow also (Moscow, St Pete's, and to a lesser degree Zagreb).

moon language
11-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Federer said it is much faster this year also.

fast_clay
11-11-2010, 12:39 AM
i wish i could spit out off the top off of my head how slow the courts have gone over the past decade... on the back of that extinct animal 'the carpet court'... a graph of that sort would make compelling viewing for sure...

but... nadal puts bum on seats and tourney directors understand this is important on finals sunday...

Federer said it is much faster this year also.
so refreshing to watch this week

wait 10 days for London and see the diff when they get back on that clay and Nadal is in his element :o

ATP Boardroom

ATP Chair: 'so it's settled, you're happy for us to handle the tour court speed issue for 2011'
Federer: 'yeah'
Nadal: 'is good, no?'
Some mug: 'yeah whatever'
ATP Chair: 'Ok then... meeting over... thanks guys...'

(Seconds later, outside the boardroom) federer half concealing brown paper envelope approaches chairman

Federer: 'yeah... hey, listen... umm, i never said this, but... what's the chance of a Halle 1000...? Carpet WTF perhaps...?'

you know this is how fed rolls feldman

nobama
11-11-2010, 12:50 AM
What surface do they use at the O2?

Haasi
11-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Watching Llodra, the court did look fast.
But watching Simon, the court did look slooooow and boring

fast_clay
11-11-2010, 12:58 AM

last year medium-slow hard iirc... however reasonably low bouncing for hard from memory... will happily stand corrected...

MalwareDie
11-11-2010, 12:59 AM

Greenset Grand Prix.

scarecrows
11-11-2010, 01:01 AM
i like it very much this year
I dont remember seeing a hard court tournament with so much net play in the previous years

finishingmove
11-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Djokovic said it's 'one of the fastest'.

Keep in mind that the camera angle makes it seem slower than it really is.

fast_clay
11-11-2010, 01:35 AM
yup. There is every reason to speed up surfaces. Like you already said. Slow hardcourts are murder on the joints.

I'd appoint the director of the DC stadium in Minsk to a new Speed It Up ATP committee

it always seemed elementary to me...

byes for top 4/8 seeds? no more 5 set finals in MS or MM's? Shorter season? Player withdrawals? General whining/fatugue? Lack of variety? Disappearance of the volley?

by largely upping the element of fast courts on tour (as it once was), you can rid yourself of every one of these half baked, band aid solutions and/or problems...

the ClayTP tour is an absolute meat gwindurrhh...

EDIT: in 1996 Sampras bt Becker in World Tour Finals (Carpet) 3-6 7-6(5) 7-6(4) 6-7(11) 6-4
this end of season match in a year where sampars played 78 matches and becker 57... no dramas for these guy to put together that epic, let alone the mini epics in that particular WTF if anyone cares to look at the '96 WTF draw. so, where was the whinging then?

Arkulari
11-11-2010, 01:36 AM
finally a REAL indoor tournament after a long time :yeah:

Mjau!
11-11-2010, 01:49 AM
Courts are like greased lightning. No wonder Rafael threw his toys out the pram! :hysteric:

guga2120
11-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Courts are like greased lightning. No wonder Rafael threw his toys out the pram! :hysteric:

That's a good point, with his weak serve and terrible volleys he would not stand a chance on a fast hard court.

fast_clay
11-11-2010, 02:03 AM
That's a good point, with his weak serve and terrible volleys he would not stand a chance on a fast hard court.

the point is that nadal has adapted his style to suit a faster surface... we know he has that ability... that's not in question...

a more valid question is, how much further could he adapt if the tour was properly balanced ie; a genuine fast court season...? it's unknown but my guess is he may well have adapted just as well, and even done it in quicker time perhaps...

the other major question is regarding longevity... how much longer could have nadal's career been if shorter points were the norm for a fair percentage of the year - every year...?

if tournament directors are still as financially astute as they have appeared to have been in riding the nadal gravy train in the last half decade... then, in turn, we should see the return of the fast court to manipulate 'the federer final' in his twighlight years...

Henry Chinaski
11-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Wow, that's such a sensible post I bet you've flummoxed 98% of the board with it. Rafatards confused because they think everyone who wants to see more fast courts does so in the hope it screws Rafa. Fedtards seething because Rafa only wins because tennis is played on brown, green and blue clay these days.

guga2120
11-11-2010, 02:15 AM
the point is that nadal has adapted his style to suit a faster surface... we know he has that ability... that's not in question...

a more valid question is, how much further could he adapt if the tour was properly balanced ie; a genuine fast court season...? it's unknown but my guess is he may well have adapted just as well, and even done it in quicker time perhaps...

the other major question is regarding longevity... how much longer could have nadal's career been if shorter points were the norm for a fair percentage of the year - every year...?

if tournament directors are still as financially astute as they have appeared to have been in riding the nadal gravy train in the last half decade... then, in turn, we should see the return of the fast court to manipulate 'the federer final' in his twighlight years...

For the tour to be properly balanced they would also have to go back to way the clay was in the 90's, and what has hurt Rafa's longetvity is his ridiculous schedule, not the court speed.

With Rafa's game now a fast court helps him, his serve is extremely hard to break when he gets free points. What hurts him, and is what always has is a low bounce, not a fast court.

Haelfix
11-11-2010, 02:25 AM
The low bounce definitely hurts Rafa more than other players, and I agree its not the speed that bothers him perse.

However, slowing the court down definitely hurts a lot of other big names, so relatively it often helps Rafa.

fast_clay
11-11-2010, 02:30 AM
For the tour to be properly balanced they would also have to go back to way the clay was in the 90's, and what has hurt Rafa's longetvity is his ridiculous schedule, not the court speed.

With Rafa's game now a fast court helps him, his serve is extremely hard to break when he gets free points. What hurts him, and is what always has is a low bounce, not a fast court.

i was at rotterdam '09 and watched his last three matches... good stuff... but, i was also wondering why... so, i hear you... heavy commerce is present in team nadal somewhere, at the expense of health...

the tour had slanted towards negating the serve/quick-points well before nadal quickly arrived on the scene... however, it leaned so far away from the past, so quickly, that it meant the perfect tour environment for nadal to flourish year round...

had the tour been properly balanced, it would have been tougher for nadal to reach #1... but... in my opinion, that would have only forced nadal and co. to go to work on the serve/fast court play well before 2010... and perhaps mid 2009 may not have occurred...

not withstanding the fact that a properly balanced tour would have bred a fair percentage of quality attackers... who, yes, would have been very adept at repeatedly feeding nadal the low bouncing junk you speak of... though, as it stands we'll never know how nadal matches up in back to back matches vs the rafter/henman ilk - a player type that would still be around, should they have been suitably rewarded with the fast courts that encouraged their winning formula...

fast_clay
11-11-2010, 02:38 AM
Wow, that's such a sensible post I bet you've flummoxed 98% of the board with it. Rafatards confused because they think everyone who wants to see more fast courts does so in the hope it screws Rafa. Fedtards seething because Rafa only wins because tennis is played on brown, green and blue clay these days.

heh heh, mate well... i dunno... maybe i just like what i see when i see a true clash of styles... you wouldn't expect it everyday... not at all... but as a fellow fan of the game i do believe we deserve to see it more often...

there should be at least one of The Stakh or one of The Step at the WTF this year... if only to increase the collective mojo of the viewing public...

moon language
11-11-2010, 02:49 AM
i was at rotterdam '09 and watched his last three matches... good stuff... but, i was also wondering why... so, i hear you... heavy commerce is present in team nadal somewhere, at the expense of health...

the tour had slanted towards negating the serve/quick-points well before nadal quickly arrived on the scene... however, it leaned so far away from the past, so quickly, that it meant the perfect tour environment for nadal to flourish year round...

had the tour been properly balanced, it would have been tougher for nadal to reach #1... but... in my opinion, that would have only forced nadal and co. to go to work on the serve/fast court play well before 2010... and perhaps mid 2009 may not have occurred...

not withstanding the fact that a properly balanced tour would have bred a fair percentage of quality attackers... who, yes, would have been very adept at repeatedly feeding nadal the low bouncing junk you speak of... though, as it stands we'll never know how nadal matches up in back to back matches vs the rafter/henman ilk - a player type that would still be around, should they have been suitably rewarded with the fast courts that encouraged their winning formula...

I think the comment about the low bounce was more to do with how it causes Nadal's shots to sit perfectly for more players to crush.

fast_clay
11-11-2010, 02:53 AM
I think the comment about the low bounce was more to do with how it causes Nadal's shots to sit perfectly for more players to crush.

ahh... lower bouncing shot... fair play...

i wont go on about what i think of that for fear of turning this into a duplicate thread of every other thread in gm if you get what i mean...

just to say that the paris court is good...

henke007
11-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Couldn't be more obvious that Rafa got beforehand info about very speedy courts this year, lol how pathetic...

Yves.
11-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Same shit every year :rolleyes:

delpiero7
11-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Couldn't be more obvious that Rafa got beforehand info about very speedy courts this year, lol how pathetic...

Oh, it's that obvious is it?

So for what pathetic reason did Federer whimper out of both Madrid and Bercy in '04 and '05 and Bercy in '06?

Rafa#Uno:-)
11-11-2010, 08:21 AM
You whisch doesnt like nadal will all loose to him....thats why

well rafa serves harder recently have you forgotten? 205 km/h

then more topspinn than the rest of the field will make him hard to beat in London

We will see...

Nidhogg
11-11-2010, 08:41 AM
I don't see a huge difference compared to the last two years. As a reference the surface we saw at Montpellier two weeks ago was fast on a refreshing scale.

henke007
11-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Murray said it was the fastest indoor hardcourt he had played on...

bokehlicious
11-11-2010, 09:50 AM

Speedy courts are bad, no? :confused:

Jomp1
11-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Bounces seem kinda high though?

scoobs
11-11-2010, 10:12 AM
I was there the last two days and at first I didn't think it seemed all that different, but as I started to watch some of the matches, it became clear that it is notably faster than the last couple of years.

There's a lot more aces this year, and I think the clincher for me was how easily Nalbandian abused Murray in the first set of their match by being aggressive and coming forward to take volleys a lot. As soon as Murray started to serve-volley and take the net away from Nalbandian and force Nalbandian to move for the passing shots, the match started to turn. That court really rewards aggressive play and punishes defensive or counter-punching styles, as Murray quickly discovered - he was forced to adjust to have any chance at all because the speed of the court was neutralising his speed - he couldn't get to balls quick enough to do something with them.

So yes, it's pretty fast, and a good thing too, in my opinion. I do like tennis on slower courts but in my opinion one of the beauties of tennis is the variety of surface type and surface speed that in theory forces players to be adaptable.

Echoes
11-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Will divas Nadal and Fed now re-boycott Bercy from 2010/2011 on, just like they did before 2007? :rolleyes:

delpiero7
11-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Speedy courts are bad, no? :confused:

Is that a direct quote from the US Open champion?

fast_clay
11-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Will divas Nadal and Fed now re-boycott Bercy from 2010/2011 on, just like they did before 2007? :rolleyes:

fed won't...

he is the driving force behind the fast court renaissance... only player on tour with a hotline to the FFT

nobama
11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Will divas Nadal and Fed now re-boycott Bercy from 2010/2011 on, just like they did before 2007? :rolleyes:I know I've asked this a million times, but where is the evidence that Nadal and Federer were behind slowing the court down in Paris? Why would Fed want a slower court anyway? How would that benefit his game? :confused:

Action Jackson
11-11-2010, 11:06 AM
I know I've asked this a million times, but where is the evidence that Nadal and Federer were behind slowing the court down in Paris? Why would Fed want a slower court anyway? How would that benefit his game? :confused:

There is plenty of evidence, try Google.

bokehlicious
11-11-2010, 11:08 AM
It's a well-known fact that Federer is fighting for years to make Bercy a clay tournament... Makes perfect sense :shrug:

philosophicalarf
11-11-2010, 11:11 AM

Doubt he'd be much bothered. He voluntarily played Tokyo after all, and that's very quick too - more so than last year, and likely it'll be even faster next year too (it gets slicker cos they don't relay). Could have played Beijing the same week instead, which is medium/slow.

Shirogane
11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
More than the speed, I think he wanted to get rid of the carpet, which doesn't make more sense but go figure.

Action Jackson
11-11-2010, 11:13 AM
It's a well-known fact that Federer is fighting for years to make Bercy a clay tournament... Makes perfect sense :shrug:

Fed and Nadal wouldn't go back to Bercy unless they got rid of the carpet surface. There are no ATP main level events on carpet anymore.

bokehlicious
11-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Tokyo gave Nadal shitload of appearance fees... He didn't head there because he fancied the surface or anything :o

Matt01
11-11-2010, 11:48 AM

Absolutely pathetic and disgusting post.

laurie-1
11-11-2010, 12:25 PM
I was there the last two days and at first I didn't think it seemed all that different, but as I started to watch some of the matches, it became clear that it is notably faster than the last couple of years.

There's a lot more aces this year, and I think the clincher for me was how easily Nalbandian abused Murray in the first set of their match by being aggressive and coming forward to take volleys a lot. As soon as Murray started to serve-volley and take the net away from Nalbandian and force Nalbandian to move for the passing shots, the match started to turn. That court really rewards aggressive play and punishes defensive or counter-punching styles, as Murray quickly discovered - he was forced to adjust to have any chance at all because the speed of the court was neutralising his speed - he couldn't get to balls quick enough to do something with them.

So yes, it's pretty fast, and a good thing too, in my opinion. I do like tennis on slower courts but in my opinion one of the beauties of tennis is the variety of surface type and surface speed that in theory forces players to be adaptable.

That's nice to hear. The last time I went to Paris Bercy was 2003, the year Henman won, when it was on carpet. That year the attacking players consistently beat the counter punchers / baseliners.

fast_clay
11-11-2010, 03:03 PM
More than the speed, I think he wanted to get rid of the carpet, which doesn't make more sense but go figure.

It's true that...and perhaps an all too conveniently forgotten fact too...but, it should also be known that fed was happy with the status quo, should bercy lay red carpet for him between change of ends...

Carpet died when the request was denied...

nobama
11-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Fed and Nadal wouldn't go back to Bercy unless they got rid of the carpet surface. There are no ATP main level events on carpet anymore.

Good to see gossip passing as fact is alive and well on MTF.

cutesteve22
11-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Nadal didn't wanna hurt his confidence going into London so he came up with some crap medical issue, that's how fast the courts are in Paris!:drool:

fast_clay
11-11-2010, 03:20 PM

It's largely due to the fact that it's a weak era, coupled with the existing duopoly of two short sighted and perhaps selfish greats of the game...tell me mate, can you imagine agassi walking up as player council and asking for less carpet? Sampras would've vomited...that goes for any other decade since open tennis...

but, not the 2000's...the market was cornered by an influence that didn't at all respect the way the game evolved, which encouraged the clash of styles and characters that made tennis boom for years...

Sophocles
11-11-2010, 04:29 PM
it always seemed elementary to me...

byes for top 4/8 seeds? no more 5 set finals in MS or MM's? Shorter season? Player withdrawals? General whining/fatugue? Lack of variety? Disappearance of the volley?

by largely upping the element of fast courts on tour (as it once was), you can rid yourself of every one of these half baked, band aid solutions and/or problems...

the ClayTP tour is an absolute meat gwindurrhh...

EDIT: in 1996 Sampras bt Becker in World Tour Finals (Carpet) 3-6 7-6(5) 7-6(4) 6-7(11) 6-4
this end of season match in a year where sampars played 78 matches and becker 57... no dramas for these guy to put together that epic, let alone the mini epics in that particular WTF if anyone cares to look at the '96 WTF draw. so, where was the whinging then?

Excellent post.

BodyServe
11-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Murray said it was the fastest indoor hardcourt he had played on...

That's not possible... he played San Jose a few years back which is one of the fastest court of the 2000'

scoobs
11-11-2010, 05:53 PM
That's not possible... he played San Jose a few years back which is one of the fastest court of the 2000'
True, and one year in particular they turned the court so fast that it played like wood, he still won the tournament.

But he doesn't always have the best memory for this sort of thing - nevertheless it's significantly faster than last year - I'm not much up on the mechanics but I gather it's now a category 4 hardcourt surface, last year was a category 3.

silverwhite
11-11-2010, 08:19 PM
WTA should use this surface too. Would love to see Pushniacki work her magic on it. :hearts: