They will NOT win a Grand Slam [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

They will NOT win a Grand Slam

Blackbriar
11-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Which of these guys will not win a Grand Slam, whatever they try. Hatred and rancor welcome.
Multiple choice possible, you can even select them all if you want :)

VolandriFan
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Gulbis
Cilic

DanaKz
11-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Chose all of them http://i.smiles2k.net/aiwan_smiles/dance.gif

Pirao666
11-08-2010, 10:19 AM
None of them will win a grand slam. Maybe Soderling, but even that is doubtful.

VolandriFan
11-08-2010, 10:25 AM
I see you added a poll after my post.

All of them. Monfils has the biggest chance of catching fire for 2 weeks in my opinion, but it's still an extremely negligible chance.

born_on_clay
11-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Where is Mugray ?

Blackbriar
11-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Murray has a real chance to win a GS title. let's face it: Nadal will not win all the Grand Slams til the end of time, some actual players other than Nadal & Federer will win a GS title sooner or later. and most probably an actual top player and not a muggy 19-year old around the rank 150.

I did not added Cilic because it is uncertain if he will collapse or confirm in 2011. did not added the more than 26-year old players, because it will be probably too hard for them to peak now. and jokes like Isner, Troicki and Simon are not considered either.

Orka_n
11-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Murray has a real chance to win a GS title. let's face it: Nadal will not win all the Grand Slams til the end of time, some actual players other than Nadal & Federer will win a GS title sooner or later. and most probably an actual top player and not a muggy 19-year old around the rank 150.So, basically, because you think Murray will win a slam, you did not even include him in the poll? What is this, your personal blog?
I did not added Cilic because it is uncertain if he will collapse or confirm in 2011. did not added the more than 26-year old players, because it will be probably too hard for them to peak now. and jokes like Isner, Troicki and Simon are not considered either.But you included Almugro, Baggy and Querrey? Really poor poll choices.

henke007
11-08-2010, 12:34 PM
lol @ the poll choices

Singularity
11-08-2010, 12:40 PM
So, basically, because you think Murray will win a slam, you did not even include him in the poll? What is this, your personal blog?
But you included Almugro, Baggy and Querrey? Really poor poll choices.
Isn't the point of the poll to discuss who will definitively not win a slam? I.e you'd bet your life on it. I don't think you can put Murray in that category. Maybe he won't win a slam but he definitely has a chance to.

Blackbriar
11-08-2010, 02:13 PM
lol @ the poll choices

:) we're talking of the never-win-a-slam guys in a career. so, yes, Baggy, Ritchie, Sammy, they all qualify :)

Orka_n
11-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Isn't the point of the poll to discuss who will definitively not win a slam? I.e you'd bet your life on it.:lol: Firstly, the poll includes slam finalists, so no. Secondly, if that really was the case, then the poll would only be about guys outside of the top 50 - and the thread would be even more pointless than it is now.
:) we're talking of the never-win-a-slam guys in a career. so, yes, Baggy, Ritchie, Sammy, they all qualify :)As does Ty Dilello, myself, world #809 Oliver Marach... and Andy Murray, seeing how these guys have never won a slam. [/discussion] :shrug:

Certinfy
11-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Soderling, Tsonga and Berdych have shown they have the game to win a GS, however for all 3 their mental side has perhaps let them down.

Everyone besides them 3.

Blackbriar
11-08-2010, 04:05 PM
but they have a chance, or they were considered at a time to have a chance, and some of them reached semi-finals and even final. but it's a thing to reach a final, it is another one to face Federer/Nadal, which is 99% of the time.
the point of the poll is to know which ones have no chance as of today to win a slam.

Orka_n
11-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Soderling, Tsonga and Berdych have shown they have the game to win a GS, however for all 3 their mental side has perhaps let them down.

Everyone besides them 3.I am thinking that Gulbis might be a late bloomer on the mental side (like Robin and Tomas), so in my book he has a shot, too. Otherwise I pretty much agree though I included Tsonga in my vote. Lately he's not lived up to his potential, but who knows what'll happen.

DrJules
11-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Going no for all bar Monfils who has so much latent talent, but has not fully utilised.

GS are difficult to win. From FO 2005 to date (nearly 6 years and 23 GS)only 2 not won by Fedal so incredibly difficult to do.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
11-08-2010, 07:55 PM
gasquet should win 10+ slams

MIMIC
11-08-2010, 08:08 PM
I thought this was asking who won't win a slam in 2011....not EVER. :(

(my picks don't count :p)

Sapeod
11-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Where is Mugray ?
HAHAHAHAHA, hater.

Murray will win a grand slam, that's the difference between him and this list.

None of these guys will win a grand slam.

DrJules
11-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Murray has a real chance to win a GS title. let's face it: Nadal will not win all the Grand Slams til the end of time, some actual players other than Nadal & Federer will win a GS title sooner or later. and most probably an actual top player and not a muggy 19-year old around the rank 150.

I did not added Cilic because it is uncertain if he will collapse or confirm in 2011. did not added the more than 26-year old players, because it will be probably too hard for them to peak now. and jokes like Isner, Troicki and Simon are not considered either.

Agree, but the 9/10 best non-GS winners would have made a more interesting list.

If 1 or 2 of these convert it would be a miracle.

nole_no1
11-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I voted for everyone :lol:

Oh and:

Murray will win a grand slam

No he won't :dance:

Sham Kay
11-08-2010, 10:20 PM
No he won't :dance:
Yeah, he will. That little tug-o-war won't last long, trust me.

About the poll.. I'll shoot for Baggy to improve down the line and win one ;)

Pirata.
11-08-2010, 11:40 PM
I voted for them all but Soderling. Jo has a chance but he can't stay healthy. Berdych seems to be back to mental midgetry. Fernando had a prime opportunity to be a slam finalist last year and maybe make the RG semis this year, but nothing he's done since losing to Almugro at RG has proven he has what it takes anymore to win any major titles.

Topspindoctor
11-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Mugray isn't winning a slam are you kids blind? He was fav or second fav for every HC slam since USO 2008 and he mugged it up on every occasion. Verdasco in AO 09, Cilic in USO 09, Fed in Ao 10 and Wawrinka in USO 10. Not to mention he failed to beat Olderer in both slam finals he managed to reach and got roasted by Nadal twice at Wimby. Masters events is all this clown is good at.

Ouragan
11-09-2010, 01:29 AM
gasquet should win 10+ slams

5 years ago, when he gate crashed the top 20 and looked as hot a prospect as Nadal. Now, Coke is not sure to win a 250 again.

Sham Kay
11-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Mugray isn't winning a slam are you kids blind? He was fav or second fav for every HC slam since USO 2008 and he mugged it up on every occasion. Verdasco in AO 09, Cilic in USO 09, Fed in Ao 10 and Wawrinka in USO 10. Not to mention he failed to beat Olderer in both slam finals he managed to reach and got roasted by Nadal twice at Wimby. Masters events is all this clown is good at.
Yeah. He's well past it now. Poor guys 23.

Was about to say I'm surprised how you didnt mention Nadal but.. woops.

cutesteve22
11-09-2010, 03:34 AM
how to chose all of them?

Paylu2007
11-09-2010, 03:44 AM
how to chose all of them?

you pick all of them? it aint that hard :)

selyoink
11-09-2010, 03:59 AM
All of them. Pretty simple choices as most of them have as good a shot at winning slam as I do. Tsonga has the best chance but he is way too inconsistent.

Manequin75
11-09-2010, 04:16 AM

you serious? How could you possibly call Murray a clown? He has the game to beat anybody - just his bad luck he runs into a hot Federer in HC slams and a hot Rafa at Wimbledon. So not being able to beat these two hall of famers in slams equals to being a clown? I guess then the entire tour is full of clowns. Why are you following it?

Andy is going to have several more chances - thats for sure. And I think he will win it. I see him winning AO, USO and Wimbledon atleast once. Poetic justice if he ends his career with four slams - one of each - a career grand slam :)

Persimmon
11-09-2010, 02:30 PM
All of the above.

Blackbriar
12-12-2010, 09:20 AM
any more vote?

Xristos
12-12-2010, 09:25 AM
None of the above.

vn01
12-12-2010, 09:44 AM
None of these, except Berdych and Soderling

navy75
12-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I checked all of them with the exception of Soderling. For some reason I think that he hoists a trophy before his career is said and done. It'll be interesting to see if any of the others can pull off a magical two week run, as only four on the list (three outside of Soderling) have even made a final up to this point.

Seingeist
12-12-2010, 09:55 AM
None of these, except Berdych and Soderling

QFT.

These are the only two that I cannot confidently say will NOT win a slam. The Sod King has reached two slam finals now and has shown that he can beat the top two players on the big stage (albeit inconsistently). I think he'll continue to threaten at slams. Perhaps his win in Paris this year will boost his confidence.

Obviously, Berdych showed what he is capable of at Wimbledon this year. No doubt that he's a mental midget, but who can pretend to know that he won't be able to focus again like he did at Wimbledon? He can threaten as well if he straightens himself out.

RoddickFan.
12-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Pretty much everyone in the poll except for Soderling

miaow
12-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Having a "select all" option would've saved loads of our time.:rolleyes:

Filo V.
12-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Why isn't Andy Murray on the list?

Filo V.
12-12-2010, 05:07 PM
This may be a bit crazy to some of you, but I think Gulbis has the best chance of winning a major/multiple majors, of all of these listed players.

With that said, Soderling is the only player here that I would give a legit shot at winning one in the next few years, and only he, Gulbis, and Tsonga I feel have legitimate chances in the future.

yuri27
12-12-2010, 05:14 PM
All of them(especially the french players).

Lukenole
12-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Only Tsonga has a little chance...

yuri27
12-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Only Tsonga has a little chance...

Tsonga has no chance.
He is too inconsistent,his movement is too poor and his game is brainless.
You can't win GSs doing ball-bashing.

Waterfox
12-12-2010, 07:33 PM
All of the above!

Only Ernests and Querrey are Slam material.

Lukenole
12-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Tsonga has no chance.
He is too inconsistent,his movement is too poor and his game is brainless.
You can't think GSs doing ball-bashing.

A french saying that... whatever.

To reach 2008's AO's final, he's not just one more, and a little chance is because of it.

Sapeod
12-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Where is Mugray ?
Murray will win a slam, so he doesn't need to be in the poll :)

Sapeod
12-12-2010, 07:59 PM
All of them, except Soderling aren't good enough to win slams.

If Soderling is on fire for two weeks, he will have a great chance.

Scola
12-12-2010, 09:00 PM

Yeah. He's well past it now. Poor guys 23.

Was about to say I'm surprised how you didnt mention Nadal but.. woops.

owned.:lol:

yuri27
12-13-2010, 12:12 AM
A french saying that... whatever.

To reach 2008's AO's final, he's not just one more, and a little chance is because of it.

Gasquet reached a GS 1/2 final and nevertheless,it's common sense he will never win a Slam.
Tsonga is just a one Slam final wonder,that's it.

Getta
12-13-2010, 01:57 AM
sadly, i can't read them all.

Ibracadabra
12-13-2010, 02:22 AM
Where is murray?

Sophocles
12-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Verdasco - no: still a choker, dreadful against the best players, idiotic scheduling so he doesn't peak for slams.
Almagro - no: zero slam pedigree, choker, dreadful against the best players, has done nothing big in his entire career.
Baghdatis - no: talented but injury prone, past his peak, unlikely to make it back to the Top 10, had his chance.
Querrey - no: zero slam pedigree, limited game with poor movement, has done fuck all.
Gasquet - no: past his peak, prone to choking, no forehand.

The others are all unlikely but possible. Soderling & Berdych are the least unlikely, having reached slam finals & proved they can beat Fed or Nadal or both at slams. They have big games & are dangerous to anybody when playing well, but their games are high risk & 7 good matches in a row is a lot to ask. Tsonga has made a slam final but he is injury prone & owned by Nadal & Fed. He is talented though & I can see him having a good run in another slam. Gulbis & Monfils are unknown quantities, Gulbis because he is young and still growing as a player, Monfils because he has recently shown signs of tactical development. I suspect however that Gulbis's tendency to brainfart & his relatively poor movement will keep him from the top, & Monfils has been flattering to deceive.

cristalmeister
12-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Söderling has a chance (along with Murray).
Berdych as well, not rly as likely though. Gulbis in a few years.
Rest: No.

Blackbriar
12-14-2010, 10:36 AM
I think Murray will win a GS, maybe after countless attempts and humiliations.
But he will succeed at least once. Soderling is still a mystery to me.