Valencia SF: Ferrer overcomes Soderling 6-3 3-6 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Valencia SF: Ferrer overcomes Soderling 6-3 3-6 6-3

Orka_n
11-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Great effort and heart from Ferrer, as usual. :yeah:

Soderling only played well in patches. His serving in the final set was terrible and pretty much decided the outcome.

David will win this tournament and secure his place in the WTF :banana:

TennisOnWood
11-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Welcome to London David

acionescu
11-06-2010, 06:17 PM
David :banana: :woohoo: :banana:

I'm so happy that he'll be in WTF again :bounce:

solowyn
11-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Ferrer :hearts: As always, so good at playing the match out right to the end. Robin's shotmaking too unpredictable.

henke007
11-06-2010, 06:19 PM
The Funny thing is that Robin served 73% in the third but got broken once. Then he broke back and then something happened with Robin. The serve went down from 73% to 52% and instead of 3-3 he was broken again 2-4 and the rest is history!! Very up and down, but thats often the case in these matches between top 8 players offcourse. This was the Final IMO!!:sad:

Bad Religion
11-06-2010, 06:20 PM
As usual , Sodermug behaved like a prick

Jomp1
11-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Robin won't find himself in a winning position very often over Ferrer with 54% first service in, easy as that. Game was pretty good from him in the first half of the first set and second, too many mistakes in the rest. Inconsistent is probably the appropriate word for Robin today.

David came up big when he got broken back in the 3rd and then took the break back immediately in a long game. Guess he can book his plane tix to London now.

tennisfan856
11-06-2010, 06:21 PM
very entertaining match, i love the competitive fire in ferrer. Robin went as his first serve went, and it let him down big time in the third set. Entertaining rallies, but Ferrer's depth really bothered Robin's footwork and preparation.

Do they not have challenge here? Robin looked like he got robbed in the last game.

Ad Wim
Robin totally broke down in the 3rd, too bad. But great victory for Ferrer, this should secure his WTF-place.

Topspindoctor
Good fight from Ferrer as always. Soderling too many errors and first serve not there in the crucial moments.

philosophicalarf
11-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Slowest hard court on tour. I thought last year was a freak one off, with one part of the stadium unfinished and letting in cold winter air, but it's just as slow this year. Harder to hold serve here than some of the quicker clay courts, like Acapulco or Roland Garros.

Even leaving aside recent form, Sod seems to lack focus below masters level. This match was a little like their meeting in Beijing (medium/slow), although not such an errorfest. A week later they meet in the Shanghai masters (little more serve friendly), and Sod wins in straights.

Orka_n
As usual , Sodermug behaved like a prickWhen was that? :scratch: At one time he didn't hear a call, and later he got disappointed and hung his head when a very important ball was called out. He didn't even complain.
And his handshake was very friendly by his standards. :shrug:

Ad Wim
As usual , Sodermug behaved like a prick

Coming from a guy with Hewitt in his avatar :spit:

Orka_n
11-06-2010, 06:25 PM
very entertaining match, i love the competitive fire in ferrer. Robin went as his first serve went, and it let him down big time in the third set. Entertaining rallies, but Ferrer's depth really bothered Robin's footwork and preparation.

Do they not have challenge here? Robin looked like he got robbed in the last game.Nope, no Hawkeye. Which is pretty disgraceful. :o

Topspindoctor
11-06-2010, 06:25 PM

This. Soderling isn't a bad guy off court, Hewitt, though, is a jerk of the highest order. Uneducated trash who made it big in sport.

habibko
11-06-2010, 06:29 PM
the ultimate fighter :worship: what a big heart Pics has :hatoff:

Bad Religion
11-06-2010, 06:29 PM

Hewitt can behave like an asshole if he wants because he is a champion. OTOH , Sodermug is a big nobody and has no right

Iván
11-06-2010, 06:30 PM
pics is a fucking legend, he will be remembered unlike other spanish mugs.

henke007
11-06-2010, 06:32 PM

+1

fran70
11-06-2010, 06:39 PM
This is a great victory for David :worship:. Proving another week that his latest performances in Asia were not a stroke of good luck. He is almost qualified for London. Hands down for him :worship:

Orka_n
11-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Hewitt can behave like an asshole if he wants because he is a champion. OTOH , Sodermug is a big nobody and has no rightDumbest thing I've heard for a while. :hatoff:

Pirata.
11-06-2010, 06:52 PM

:yeah:

He's a fighter, doesn't let his size hinder him, he even bitchslaps Karlovic. He's a great player, and he achieves success because he's so hard working and just never gives up. Should be a role model to the younger players with that kind of fighting attitude.

finishingmove
11-06-2010, 07:15 PM
never in doubt, dahveed

Pirao666
11-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Well done David :worship::worship: Verdasco could learn a few things about fighting from you.

cobalt60
11-06-2010, 07:22 PM
:woohoo: Sod is already headed to London and David needed this!

Filo V.
11-06-2010, 07:46 PM
You gotta love David Ferrer. What a battler, what grit, what determination, what heart. He just dug down deep and outwilled Soderling and took the match away. He was being made to run a lot but he just kept getting the balls back deep, making it hard for Robin to stand on the baseline and attack and forcing Soderling to overhit and exposing his footwork deficiencies. He was aggressive whenever he got the opportunity and did well in moving Soderling out of position. Served much better after he got broken in the third set.

Soderling's serve and forehand faltered in the third set. He was hitting some big shots but they kept coming back, and he just couldn't cope with the pressure Ferrer put him under. His service inconsistency is something he'll need to address going forward.

Congrats to the Spanish pitbull on the victory.

tangerine_dream
11-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Daveed :clap2:

Henry Chinaski
11-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Was amazed at how shit the Valencia crowd was. Stereotypical over-polite rubbish tennis crowd. Despite watching a home player in a tight match, 6000 people could never muster more than a polite applause. Against a guy like Soderling I was expecting a DC atmosphere.

Give me the "ignorant" Madrid crowd any day

luie
11-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Ferrer shows what true spanish fight is about. Its sad that he represents the entire spanish armada, because lopez,Almugro,Fiasco all bend-over.

Arkulari
11-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Was amazed at how shit the Valencia crowd was. Stereotypical over-polite rubbish tennis crowd. Despite watching a home player in a tight match, 6000 people could never muster more than a polite applause. Against a guy like Soderling I was expecting a DC atmosphere.

And David owns part of this tournament, you know? ;)

Piiiiiiiiiics :woohoo: his second WTF showing is on the way! :woohoo:

tennisfan856
11-06-2010, 10:26 PM

The whole atmosphere this week has been shit, absolutely shocking that this is ATP 500. And tennis coverage is really bad here, I can barely see the ball on my streams lol.

blue background with blue court= what the hell are you thinking

Johnny_Bravo
11-06-2010, 10:33 PM
What a fighter Ferru :worship:

Chris Waddle
11-06-2010, 11:51 PM

Well, all my respect to the Valencia-crowd and to Ferrer.

Sommarsverige
11-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Big credits to David :bounce: :bounce:

So happy that he almost qualified for London, he really deserves this and also to be in the final of his home tournament :yeah:
Unfortunately I couldn´t watch the match, as I was flying back home from Valencia at that time, but already looking forward to the final tomorrow!

Vamos Ferru :bounce: :yeah:

Fujee
11-07-2010, 01:51 AM
Awesome stuff from Ferrer :D

coonster14
11-07-2010, 03:01 AM
I have always been a fan of Ferrer, it is just something about him, to me, he seems a likeable guy, but this match showed what a fighter he is, got to respect that, he just slogs it out on the court, and now he is in the final.

I hope he takes home the trophy on Sunday. :)

ariel2
11-07-2010, 04:21 AM
Thrilled to see Ferrer win given what's at stake for him. He deserved it as he was the steadier of the two both physically and mentally. He had some stunning retrieves and showed a deft touch at net the few times he came in. Kept the ball deep, went for the angles on his forehand, and generally did a good job of keeping his cool after losing the second set. What a feisty dude this guy is. Even more impressive was watching him wind up to smash his racket only to pull back the racket head at the last minute. Only in Valencia folks. Only in Valencia.

Sod did help him out today. It always helps one's cause when the opponent deflates inexplicably in the final set. Sod became a shadow of what he was in the second set, pushing his forehands embarrassingly wide and serving first serve bombs into the net. The guy just seems like a tremendous waste of talent. All to the good today.

Looking forward to David's hoisting the trophy of the tournament he partly owns. :cool:

Scotso
11-07-2010, 05:29 AM
Yay. :D

11-07-2010, 05:43 AM
Would you believe I missed the repeats of the SF :banghead: After looking forward to watching it since I knew David had won! And he has A LOT riding on the Final later today. I just hope he wins :D

emotion
11-07-2010, 06:33 AM
I like the tournament except the fucking line-judges

henke007
11-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Pretty embarrassing to not have the hawkeye system in effect on centercourt.

Fkin penny pinchers....

emotion
11-07-2010, 08:30 AM
moved post

Orka_n
11-07-2010, 12:17 PM
I like the tournament except the fucking line-judgesI can't hate them because one of them is the prettiest line judge I've ever seen :inlove: Such awesome clear blue eyes she had... :hearts:

Nr 1 Fan
11-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Hewitt can behave like an asshole if he wants because he is a champion. OTOH , Sodermug is a big nobody and has no right

Thanks for the laugh.

Soderling looked slow to me, moving quite bad, even by his standards (big guy so he can't move as well as guys like Ferrer, I know, but still...

Fujee
11-07-2010, 02:21 PM
I have always been a fan of Ferrer, it is just something about him, to me, he seems a likeable guy, but this match showed what a fighter he is, got to respect that, he just slogs it out on the court, and now he is in the final.

I hope he takes home the trophy on Sunday. :)

Definitely! Awesome player and an overall nice guy