Paris QR1: Ouanna def. Gimeno-Traver 6-7(5) 7-5 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Paris QR1: Ouanna def. Gimeno-Traver 6-7(5) 7-5 6-4

Filo V.
11-06-2010, 11:54 AM
The other Jo actually puts forth a good performance once and a while and surely did so here. Lost two points of 50 on the first serve with 20 aces. DGT had a break lead in the third set. He's dangerous if he qualifies.

Li Ching Yuen
11-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I never understood why this guy is not ranked inside the Top100.

Is he afraid of flying or something?

silverwhite
11-06-2010, 12:14 PM
I caught the first two sets. IMHO, it was quite a boring serve-dominated contest with a bunch of UEs, mostly from Ouanna then from DGT towards the end of the second

Filo V.
11-06-2010, 12:24 PM
He's not top 100 IMO because he doesn't have the game to be a consistent top 100 presence. He looks the part, he's flashy, he's athletic and has a lot of power, but the overall game nor brain is there.

silverwhite
11-06-2010, 12:27 PM
He's not top 100 IMO because he doesn't have the game to be a consistent top 100 presence. He looks the part, he's flashy, he's athletic and has a lot of power, but the overall game nor brain is there.

From what I saw, problems - BH and UEs

Filo V.
11-06-2010, 12:31 PM
From what I saw, problems - BH and UEs

His backhand is a poor shot. His slice is pretty good. He just doesn't hit over it well or consistently. And yes, he makes tons of errors since he basically has no game plan outside of hitting balls hard with his forehand and hitting hard serves. He has no real strategical ability and he has no plan B.

He's similar to Tsonga in a lot of ways, but just a worse version.

emotion
11-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Grr... I don't like Ouanna. And I have no idea whatsoever why. There is just something about him...

silverwhite
11-06-2010, 12:43 PM
His ba.ckhand is a poor shot. His slice is pretty good. He just doesn't hit over it well or consistently. And yes, he makes tons of errors since he basically has no game plan outside of hitting balls hard with his forehand and hitting hard serves. He has no real strategical ability and he has no plan B.

He's similar to Tsonga in a lot of ways, but just a worse version.

Agree about the BH

I think Tsonga's shots are a lot smoother while Ouanna's technique seems a bit awkward

Filo V.
11-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Agree about the BH

I think Tsonga's shots are a lot smoother while Ouanna's technique seems a bit awkward

Ouanna is awkward, but I don't think Tsonga has a smooth game. He muscles his forehand and his backhand is really mechanical, to me. His serve is the smoothest part of his game. Everything about Ouanna's game is awkward, though. He's just really raw, like he has no development and as if he's a self-taught player.

Li Ching Yuen
11-06-2010, 12:55 PM
You guys do realize that there's a certain Feliciano Lopez in the Top50 right?...

Ouanna can very well put something together if he'd actually tried.

Filo V.
11-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Lopez' backhand is a better shot than Ouanna's.

I agree, though, that Ouanna could be a better player if he put forth more effort, he doesn't bring much intensity to court and I've read he's lazy. It's only so much that can be done with guys like him, he either wants it or he doesn't want it, and he doesn't really want it.

Li Ching Yuen
11-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Lopez' backhand is a better shot than Ouanna's.

Lopez has a good slice, but other than that he barely lands his topspin BH inside the arena, how is Ouanna worse than that?

Filo V.
11-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Lopez has a good slice, but other than that he barely lands his topspin BH inside the arena, how is Ouanna worse than that?

Lopez' slice is quite a bit better than Ouanna's is, and Lopez slices with his backhand about 70-80% of the time. Ouanna hits over his backhand more, but his topspin backhand is weak and sits in the middle of the court a lot, making it easy to attack. Also, he misses his backhand around half the time anyway. He may have more consistency hitting over it but it certainly isn't a positive shot. Actually, Lopez can hit some good clean backhands, Ouanna isn't really capable of doing that.