List the five fittest players on tour [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

List the five fittest players on tour

11-05-2010, 02:51 AM
When I say fit, I mean in the most literal sense of the word here. I am not talking about muscles, tans or good looks, I am talking about pure aerobic endurance and anerobic capacity.

The ability to spend hours and hours on court and not get tired enough that their level drops considerably.

The ability to play 5 set quarter final, 5 set semi final in a slam and still play to a high level in the final. The ability to play 3 or more 5setters in a slam.

Pure aerobic endurance folks. The definition of the word fit.

My list would be;

Roger Federer
Rafael Nadal
Andrew Murray (post 2007 version)
Richard Gasquet
Peak fit David Nalbandian (2005 TMC version)

Federer and Nadal are simply staples. They have proven time and time again they can back up no matter how many sets they play. Federer doesnt even sweat or breathe hard after long rallies. Sure, he plays a light on your feet style of tennis, but is an absolute fitness freak, im sure he could go forever in bed.

Nadal is the opposite grinding stlye, so he sweats and breathes a lot, but he also can go forever.

The other three are harder to pick. Peak Nalbandian could come from 2 sets down against anyone. Now he cant do it against his grandfather.

Andy Murray is fit as but also tends to get niggles after long matches which Federer doesn't.

Disucss. Have fun with this.

Topspindoctor
11-05-2010, 02:56 AM
Federer and Nadal are simply staples. They have proven time and time again they can back up no matter how many sets they play. Federer doesnt even sweat or breathe hard after long rallies. Sure, he plays a light on your feet style of tennis, but is an absolute fitness freak, im sure he could go forever in bed.

:haha: :spit:

Mirka probably wore out his back the night before Wimbledon QF, no wonder the poor guy struggled.

superganon
11-05-2010, 03:07 AM
Ferrer

MalwareDie
11-05-2010, 03:09 AM
Mahut.

out_here_grindin
11-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Gaaquet?

Clay Death
11-05-2010, 03:15 AM
jarkko is quite fit considering his age.

Pirata.
11-05-2010, 03:26 AM
Mahut and Isner :bowdown:

Sillyrabbit
11-05-2010, 03:28 AM
Ljubicic
Dent
Tsonga

11-05-2010, 03:31 AM

On the contrary, I think part of the reason the match went on so long is because they were dead on their feet.

Clay Death
11-05-2010, 03:32 AM

you are not kidding there.

who else can boast being to play 11 hour matches?

mahut is actually supremely fit.

156mphserve
11-05-2010, 03:34 AM
1. Isner
2. Mahut

Everything else is irrivalent

Priam
11-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Muster.

BlueSwan
11-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Isner was dead in that match. Mahut however looked incredibly fresh. Surely he should be amongst the top fit players. Probably right after Nadal. Muster in his heyday was ridiculously fit.

Seingeist
11-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Isner was dead in that match. Mahut however looked incredibly fresh. Surely he should be amongst the top fit players. Probably right after Nadal. Muster in his heyday was ridiculously fit.

I guess it's pretty sad for Mahut that he, playing fresh, could be beaten by a dead Isner. :p

But point taken.

paseo
11-05-2010, 06:44 AM
1. N
2. A
3. D
4. A
5. L

Blackbriar
11-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Nadal comes fom another world.
Federer never retired during a match during his career.
Monfils physical condition is excellent. Only his tennis is shitty.
Mahut can play at top level for hours. Unfortunately his top level is rather low.
Murray and Ferrer are baseline Stakhanovists.
Unfortunaltely Richard lost 5-setters because he is not fit enough, so no.

allpro
11-05-2010, 12:29 PM
baghdatis, djokovic.

tennishero
11-05-2010, 12:32 PM
rod laver

nobama
11-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Novak Djokovic

Kolya
11-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Hrbaty.

bokehlicious
11-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Mahut can play at top level for hours. Unfortunately his top level is rather low.

Agreed with everything.

ApproachShot
11-05-2010, 12:48 PM
1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. Murray
4. Mahut
5. Ferrer?

HKz
11-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Clearly a no brainer. (no particular order) Nadal, Ferrer, Murray, Federer, among a couple others. I have seen Nadal pant and bend over for a few seconds a couple of times after a long rally while I personally have never seen Federer or Ferrer (maybe once for Ferrer actually) do that. Of course people will claim it is Nadal's style of play, but whatever. Don't feel like getting 10 badreps by Rafatards.

Beat
11-05-2010, 12:57 PM

:spit: (note the word "only")

11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Rafa, Roger, Ferrer, Murray (?), and Mahut. I don't know that much about Mahut, but that Wimbledon Match was something else!

Orka_n
I'm surprised no one has mentioned prime Hewitt here. Otherwise mostly everything has been said. Federer, Nadal, Murray and Ferrer are monsters in this department.
There are also lower ranked players like Mahut and Nieminen who have good fitness but don't really have the tennis to back it up. I personally love these kind of guys who give it their all in their training even though they lack just a little bit of talent to pose a real threat to the top guys. Those are the ones most deserving of being in the top 100. :worship:

jrm
Schuettler

Filo V.
11-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Gasquet should not be on the list, and I don't think Murray is quite there with the top guys.

If I had to pick 5, these are the guys I would choose.

1)Ferrer

2)Federer

3)Nadal

4)Rainer

5)Clement

Shout outs include Monaco, Nieminen, Murray, Djokovic, Hewitt, Russell.

propi
11-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Robredo :worship::worship::worship:

Certinfy
11-05-2010, 01:51 PM
You have to be one hell of an idiot to say Gasquet :o

Iván
11-05-2010, 01:56 PM
lol at gasquet, his fitness has cost him so many big matches.

Filo V.
11-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Murray's fitness is being overrated. He's not on the level of Fedal, Ferrer, and others.

A lot of the shorter guys have great fitness ability, which they use to compensate for their lack of natural physical presence compared to the bigger players.

LoveFifteen
11-05-2010, 03:12 PM
:spit: @ Gasquet

dodo
11-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Huh, Murray? His fitness is no longer a giant liability, so kudos to him for that, but neither is it something exceptional. Andy Roddick is more deserving of a mention here.
Gasquet is like the opposite of Ferrer. Twice the talent, half the muscle. No way does he deserve to be even discussed in this thread, other than being pointed at and laughed.
Blackbriars post mostly summed up the rest.

illepingis
11-05-2010, 04:29 PM

mahuts top level isnt low but hes not a stable guy who always keeps a high level but he has a big top level

gusavo
11-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I guess it's pretty sad for Mahut that he, playing fresh, could be beaten by a dead Isner. :p

But point taken.

yes because its sad to be beaten by someone in the top20 in the world at something

Johnny Groove
11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
No love for Roddick?

Sillyrabbit
11-05-2010, 04:48 PM
1. N
2. A
3. D
4. A
5. L

1.Niemenen
2.Almagro
3.Dent
4.Anderson
5.Ljubicic

simplet
11-05-2010, 04:50 PM
If this is not about muscles I'm surprised noone mentioned Simon.

The guy can run, he's there right now running Donkey ragged

Certinfy
11-05-2010, 04:50 PM
1. N
2. A
3. D
4. A
5. L

1.Niemenen
2.Almagro
3.Dent
4.Anderson
5.Ljubicic

:haha: :worship:

danielmom
11-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Novak Djokovic

You are joking right????

Seingeist
11-05-2010, 05:44 PM
yes because its sad to be beaten by someone in the top20 in the world at something

:confused:

Read: DEAD Isner. A "fresh" player should be able to beat a "dead" player most of the time, don't you think? ;)

And in any case, I was merely going by the claims of the poster to whom I originally responded. I didn't watch the match (thank God), so I don't have the foggiest idea how "fresh" or "dead" either player looked or was.

Sham Kay
11-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Nadal
Ferrer
Monfils
Federer
Simon

Feds' a hard one to judge. His gamestyle is too fluid to get the guy tired, but he is obviously incredibly fit. Simon doesnt go far enough in slams to judge, but from what I've seen, he's certainly fit.

Young 8
11-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Nalbandian
Almagro
Fish
Bolelli
Karlovic

gusavo
11-05-2010, 05:59 PM
:confused:

Read: DEAD Isner. A "fresh" player should be able to beat a "dead" player most of the time, don't you think? ;)

And in any case, I was merely going by the claims of the poster to whom I originally responded. I didn't watch the match (thank God), so I don't have the foggiest idea how "fresh" or "dead" either player looked or was.

so what was sad then?

tangerine_dream
11-05-2010, 06:27 PM
No love for Roddick?

No! Never!

latso
11-05-2010, 08:59 PM
1. Nadal
2. Ferrer
3. Monfils
4. Fognini
5. Federer

Beat
11-05-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned prime Hewitt here.

prime hewitt is not on tour.

River
11-05-2010, 09:06 PM
1. Nadal
2. Ferrer
3. Monfils
4. Fognini
5. Federer

What? You mean the guy who sweats like a waterpark and seems to bend over breathing hard in best of 3 matches?

BEBE91
11-05-2010, 09:11 PM
1. Simon
2. Ferrer
3. Robredo
4. Monaco
5. Schuettler

LEGENDOFTENNIS
11-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Federer, Nadal, Murray

------------------------------------- GAP BETWEEN THE REST ------------------------

Ive seen rallies between these guys where Nadal has looked very tired, long rallies and Federer/Murray look fine. They're all extremely fit/healthy.

Nole fan
11-05-2010, 10:28 PM
One thing is endurance (in this category Nadal clearly leads, also Federer) and another thing is aerobic proficiency (flexibility, movement, agility, speed) and in that category Djokovic and Monfils excel above the rest. People think Novak is not amongst the fittest because he has stamina and breathing problems, but he is one of the fittest simply because he can move and run like a gazelle, flex and extend his arms and legs like no other out there and basically he's never suffered a serious injury, so he is very fit.

11-05-2010, 10:32 PM
You are joking right????

Its hard to tell. He looks fit. But he has a breathing problem that takes his top 2 inches away, kind of like Peter Samprasas illness that he had.

Djokovic has little bodyfat from his shirtless pics so he must be very fit, I guess we just dont see it because he can never show it because he breathes too hard.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
11-06-2010, 12:10 AM
federer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

huge gap

then monfils, murray, nada

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

huge gap

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

then everyone else

-but seriously, federer alone

i know nadal is great in singe matches, but you push him in a match and he misses the next 4 tournies with "fatigue" lol

examples are numerous

ao 06
fo 09
wim 09

countless masters events, MM events

almost every year end since 2005

he's weak long term stamina wise

laver played around 30 tournies a year during his 8 or 9 peak years

and he was the best in the world from 64 to 70- 7 straight years

VolandriFan
11-06-2010, 02:46 AM
Federer is insanely gifted in that department. Definitely the fittest, but I don't necessarily believe he works the hardest. If we're talking strictly about anaerobic capacity, then Federer takes it it, but fitness has several components. Muscular strength is not Federer's forte for example.

But since you asked the question:

Federer
Ferrer
Nadal
Mahut
Fognini

What does everyone think of Verdasco's fitness by the way? His Australian Open match against Nadal in 2009 showed incredible endurance, but I do see him breathing heavily (more often than those in my top 5 that is) and personally think he's carrying too much muscle mass for a tennis player. Don't get me wrong though, it's nice to look at.

Peak Lapentti and Nalbandian would definitely have a strong case for being on this list, but not so much now. Kiefer is another one.

dombrfc
11-06-2010, 02:49 AM
Wouldn't have monfils in there, and i say that as a fan of his.

Athleticism..yes, stamina.. no.

Orka_n
11-06-2010, 02:52 AM
prime hewitt is not on tour.Good point, though Mr. Moustache 2003 mentions 2005 Nalbandian in the OP. He's not really on tour either. :cool:

KaiserT
11-06-2010, 03:00 AM
I don't think Federer of 2010 has the greatest stamina, he tired badly vs Djokovic at FM.

Arakasi
11-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Federer is insanely gifted in that department. Definitely the fittest, but I don't necessarily believe he works the hardest. If we're talking strictly about anaerobic capacity, then Federer takes it it, but fitness has several components. Muscular strength is not Federer's forte for example.

+1

I have never seen Federer breathing heavily even after very lengthy rallies. The only time I can remember him looking winded was after that epic 54 shot rally with Hewitt in Indian Wells 2005. His respiratory system is remarkable.

Also, it's incredible how little he sweats.

Ironically, both of these things are largely independent of his tennis talent. He is very lucky to be so physically gifted.

RedHotRafa
11-06-2010, 04:09 AM
Federer is not a very fit player. I mean comparatively. His style of play isn't that demanding and he doesn't get as tired as say a Nadal style game.
My top 5 fittest would me:
1. Monfils
2. Nadal
3. Verdasco
4. Murray
5. Del Potro

You call this fit:

emotion
11-06-2010, 04:12 AM
del Potro? No. no.

VolandriFan
11-06-2010, 04:28 AM
del Potro? No. no.

Not in the top 5, no, but (before his injury) he had improved his fitness to the extent that it was no longer a liability.

He'd still be in the top 15.

.-Federers_Mate-.
11-06-2010, 05:06 AM
Federer is not a very fit player. I mean comparatively. His style of play isn't that demanding and he doesn't get as tired as say a Nadal style game.
1. Monfils
2. Nadal
3. Verdasco
4. Murray
5. Del Potro

You call this fit:

You dont have to wax your chest hair to be considered fit :rolleyes:. As someone said earlier in terms son anaerobic Fd is by far the fittest. You need to take Delpo and Monfils off your list as well, yes Gael is one of the most athletic players on tour, but he's not the fittest. For me its Fed,Murray and Nadal ofcours. Feds fitness has declined though but thats only natural as you age.

Filo V.
11-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Thinking about it right now, Federer isn't quite as fit as he was in the mid-2000s, however, he still is generally a fit player, who can play consistently throughout matches and throughout tournaments, and do well, without any issues of fatigue or physical breakdowns. He can play longer points and recover well for the next point, at least he could.

But he's definitely declined in this area. He doesn't bounce back from long points nor tournament to tournament as well as he used to. He's also not as mentally fit, and that extra stress/lesser confidence leads to a higher risk of getting tired physically in a match. He also is more prone to injuries than he was in the mid-2000s.

Filo V.
11-06-2010, 05:15 AM
Not in the top 5, no, but (before his injury) he had improved his fitness to the extent that it was no longer a liability.

He'd still be in the top 15.

No, he wouldn't. I can think of 15 pretty quickly ahead of Del Potro. Bigger men in general tend to be less fit/durable.

.-Federers_Mate-.
11-06-2010, 05:16 AM
Hewitt as well

Macbrother
11-06-2010, 05:25 AM
1. Monfils
2. Nadal
3. Verdasco
4. Murray
5. Del Potro

You call this fit:

Strictly speaking, and certainly with regards to tennis and this thread, fitness is, "the capability of the body of distributing inhaled oxygen to muscle tissue during increased physical effort." Obviously there is a colloquial definition of fitness implying a toned physique, but I highly doubt that's the purpose of this thread.

Naturally, you're going to find it very hard to surpass Federer in this category. Though if you wanna go back in history you would have to say that Borg ruled all.

VolandriFan
11-06-2010, 06:22 AM
No, he wouldn't. I can think of 15 pretty quickly ahead of Del Potro. Bigger men in general tend to be less fit/durable.

Any guy who can come back from 2 sets to 1 against Federer over 4 hours has to be fitter than the average top 100 player. You also need to be very fit and durable to win 23 consecutive matches.

Filo V.
11-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Any guy who can come back from 2 sets to 1 against Federer over 4 hours has to be fitter than the average top 100 player. You also need to be very fit and durable to win 23 consecutive matches.

Good points. I'm not doubting his fitness, but I still think there are 15 guys who are at least comparable to him and have a longer track record.

Mjau!
11-06-2010, 09:30 PM
“What impresses me is that (Federer and Nadal) can keep the level for 5 sets. It doesn’t seem to bother them. They’ll still be running at high speeds in the 5th set. So they’ve really made the game more interesting.”
- Stefan Edberg

1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. Ferrer
4. Monaco
5. Borg (still)

:rolleyes: Monfils has nice muscles, that's all. His endurance is actually poor.

Gasquet should not be on the list, and I don't think Murray is quite there with the top guys.

If I had to pick 5, these are the guys I would choose.

1)Ferrer

2)Federer

3)Nadal

4)Rainer

5)Clement

Shout outs include Monaco, Nieminen, Murray, Djokovic, Hewitt, Russell.

:spit: :haha: Novak "breathing problems" Djokovic doesn't belong near the top of a list placing great emphasis on aerobic capacity.
His ability to recuperate is also poor.
If this is not about muscles I'm surprised noone mentioned Simon.

The guy can run, he's there right now running Donkey ragged

It's easier when you're 5 foot tall and a twig. :shrug:

Filo V.
11-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Djokovic has health issues, not fitness issues. Huge difference. He's one of the fittest around when his health doesn't get in the way of his ability to perform at high levels.

dombrfc
11-06-2010, 09:58 PM
You dont have to wax your chest hair to be considered fit :rolleyes:. As someone said earlier in terms son anaerobic Fd is by far the fittest. You need to take Delpo and Monfils off your list as well, yes Gael is one of the most athletic players on tour, but he's not the fittest. For me its Fed,Murray and Nadal ofcours. Feds fitness has declined though but thats only natural as you age.

Yep

Mjau!
11-06-2010, 09:59 PM
So what if it's a health issue? It has a direct impact on his fitness (as defined in the OP). His breathing problems are due to a narrow thorax - not something that comes and goes, it's there all the time.

11-06-2010, 10:15 PM
What are peoples thoughts on Petzchner?

I know his top level sufferes often deep in slams (i.e Nadal) because he insists on playing doubles all time time, but to play mens doubles and singles at the grand slams all the time you must be pretty fit.

shadows
11-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Monfils is undoubtedly a spectacularly gifted athlete, but in this particular context I don't think you'd consider him amongst the fittest guys on tour. He always reminds me of a sprinter who's been thrown into the 1500 meters or something.

Sapeod
11-07-2010, 01:47 AM
In no order....Mahut, Murray, Nadal, Federer and Ferrer.

Mjau!
11-07-2010, 01:51 AM
Not Isner anyway. Did you guys see his Wimbledon match versus De Bakker? Such bad recovery! :o He could at least put up a fight!

Orka_n
11-07-2010, 01:52 AM
Not Isner anyway. Did you guys see his Wimbledon match versus De Bakker? Such bad recovery! :o He could at least put up a fight!:lol: You are truly one of a kind. I'd hug you if you came to Jönköping.

11-07-2010, 07:50 AM
1. Monfils2. Nadal
3. Verdasco
4. Murray
5. Del Potro

Gs-RD-1q27o

Seingeist
11-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Gs-RD-1q27o

Ha! Fawlty Towers FTW! Love how hostile and belligerent the American is!

Eddie Izzard says that Englishmen are always doomed to play villains in American films. Similarly, it seems that Americans are doomed in British entertainment to play loud, boorish, hostile, ill-mannered swine. :)

bhathiya9999
11-07-2010, 05:18 PM
The Rank 1 should be Nadal no doubt about it..

Nole fan
11-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Djokovic has health issues, not fitness issues. Huge difference. He's one of the fittest around when his health doesn't get in the way of his ability to perform at high levels.

True. He's also more athletic than the other Top 4, no doubt.

BK 201
11-07-2010, 07:26 PM
1)Nadal and Ferrer tied here
2)Federer
3)Roddick
4)Dunno, probably Murray.

Orka_n
11-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Federer is not a very fit player.:lol:

Tenn1sAdd1ct
11-08-2010, 12:34 AM
I think Davydenko was THE fittest guy out there before his injury. Surely he is still one of the fittest but he was a real ironman one year ago with his ridiculous terminator streak. And not just that but also the way he played he was super aggressive. It was a real treat to witness such physical effort. :worship:

Andre♥
11-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Until a couple years ago, Hrbaty would be number one in my opinion. His wins in the Australian Open where he would hang in the match and then beat more talented players in a 4th or 5th set were classic. Guys like Schuettler, Koubek and Clement also had great runs in big tournaments mainly due to their fitness and ability to keep their level high in very long matches.

eduggs
11-08-2010, 04:44 AM
One thing is endurance (in this category Nadal clearly leads, also Federer) and another thing is aerobic proficiency (flexibility, movement, agility, speed) and in that category Djokovic and Monfils excel above the rest. People think Novak is not amongst the fittest because he has stamina and breathing problems, but he is one of the fittest simply because he can move and run like a gazelle, flex and extend his arms and legs like no other out there and basically he's never suffered a serious injury, so he is very fit.

Nice job pointing this out. There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread between cardiorespiratory fitness and muscularity/leanness. There is often a correlation but it is quite possible to have a high degree of one without the other.

Having low body fat and therefore visible muscle definition can be achieved through intense training that would increase cardiorespiratory fitness, but it is more easily achieved through limiting calorie intake (usually in combination with genetic factors like high metabolism). For a tennis player it's very likely that extra weight would decrease performance because it would require a person to consume more oxygen to generate energy to perform extra work. On the other hand, too little body fat could be a disadvantage as well because a player might not have the reserve of energy that's vital in an endurance sport, especially when successsive days of high effort are required. A high degree of cardiorespiratory fitness combined with a small amount of body fat (but more than pro cyclists for example) is probably the ideal.

As to who is fittest, that depends largely on the definition of the word as others have said. And to properly determine the fittest would require tests in a lab to measure oxygen effiency stats. But I think since tennis is such a physically demanding sport, the rankings do a pretty good job of sorting this out. The current top 4 in the rankings are all extremely fit. And players in the top 100 and certainly beyond that lack huge weapons must be extremely fit to compensate... ferrer, o.rochus, phau etc...

Nole fan
11-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Nice job pointing this out. There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread between cardiorespiratory fitness and muscularity/leanness. There is often a correlation but it is quite possible to have a high degree of one without the other.

Having low body fat and therefore visible muscle definition can be achieved through intense training that would increase cardiorespiratory fitness, but it is more easily achieved through limiting calorie intake (usually in combination with genetic factors like high metabolism). For a tennis player it's very likely that extra weight would decrease performance because it would require a person to consume more oxygen to generate energy to perform extra work. On the other hand, too little body fat could be a disadvantage as well because a player might not have the reserve of energy that's vital in an endurance sport, especially when successsive days of high effort are required. A high degree of cardiorespiratory fitness combined with a small amount of body fat (but more than pro cyclists for example) is probably the ideal.

As to who is fittest, that depends largely on the definition of the word as others have said. And to properly determine the fittest would require tests in a lab to measure oxygen effiency stats. But I think since tennis is such a physically demanding sport, the rankings do a pretty good job of sorting this out. The current top 4 in the rankings are all extremely fit. And players in the top 100 and certainly beyond that lack huge weapons must be extremely fit to compensate... ferrer, o.rochus, phau etc...

That's exactly what i thought. Funny that most people don't include Murray or Djoko in that list. They wouldn't be where they are if they weren't amongst the fittest. :shrug:

Blackbriar
11-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Taylor Dent, quite fit

11-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I think people should re think their position on Nadal, I still think he makes top 5 but today, the 29 yearold playing 5 tourneys in a row vs the fresh 24 yearold and the 29 yearold schools him.

I think the correct list in order is probably;

Federer
Ferrer
Murray
Mahut
Nadal

Nadal has been tired too often at the business end of tournaments, where as Federer, even at 28 at RG 2009, played the tough 5 setter vs Tommy Hass, and Del Potro in the semi, and still schooled Soderking in straights in the final. :worship:

Federer is the definition of FIT.

01-25-2012, 10:21 AM
After what we are seeing here tonight, surely Ferrer must be fittest on tour or joint fittest with Peak Fed and peak Nalbandian.

I think Super Novak is up there in the top 5, he just needs a little break to take breaths more than others.

TBkeeper
01-25-2012, 10:24 AM
1.Davydenko
2.Federer
3.Ferrer
4.Nalbandian
5.Nadal

TBkeeper
01-25-2012, 10:28 AM
I think Davydenko was THE fittest guy out there before his injury. Surely he is still one of the fittest but he was a real ironman one year ago with his ridiculous terminator streak. And not just that but also the way he played he was super aggressive. It was a real treat to witness such physical effort. :worship:

Yes no wonder he played 33+ tournaments for 5 years and STILL isn't complaining about the length of the season ... Davydenko isn't just running he's running offensively (there's a huge difference) hitting the ball everyfuckintime on the rise ...

Sapeod
01-25-2012, 02:12 PM
The five fittest players on tour? Just look at results and how long they can play and you get the answer:

Murray, Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Ferrer. The current top 5, coincidentally. That said, Mahut is definitely up there as well. Take out Djokovic, Federer or Ferrer and add him.

01-26-2012, 03:32 AM
Why do people keep bringing up Mahut?

Im gonna need more than 1 match

156mphserve
01-26-2012, 03:47 AM
Why do people keep bringing up Mahut?

Im gonna need more than 1 match

check his qualifying matches for 2010 wimbledon too.

Mountaindewslave
01-26-2012, 04:12 AM
Nadal-Federer

KaiserT
01-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Mahut is injured far too often and just generally plays far too few matches to be considered 'one of the fittest' on tour.

Mystique
01-26-2012, 05:18 AM
The current top 5 easily. There is a reason they are up there.
Ferrer is particular shocks me, at this age, he can still run all day

HKz
01-26-2012, 05:19 AM
Aside from Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray, Ferrer, some candidates are (or maybe were) Davydenko, Simon, Monfils, Roddick (underrated IMO), Troicki (again underrated IMO, he is very fit), Verdasco (mentally muggary but also very fit), Robredo.

Halba
01-26-2012, 07:29 AM
all top 5 are supremely fit. forget the faking from djoker, he was the fittest last yr in the rallies. murray is the best all round athlete(off and on court) of the top 5.

off court/tennis, federer works the least on his fitness. he is purely fit with just tennis practise.