Tomas Berdych has a 3-9 record since Toronto. 7-11 since Wimbledon. Fluke run? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tomas Berdych has a 3-9 record since Toronto. 7-11 since Wimbledon. Fluke run?

Filo V.
11-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Discuss.

Action Jackson
11-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Knee jerk reaction.

Still his best ever career year no matter how it's dissected, a TMS final, Slam F and semi.

RedHotRafa
11-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I think not, Tomas has always possessed a great game, he just never found out how to use it. He had taken many top players to the limit in years gone by but never made a name for himself and upset anyone big until 2010. He can rebound, just in a slump atm

Certinfy
11-03-2010, 10:33 PM
No.

philosophicalarf
11-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Played too much. Guys with that frame can't pack in that many matches and not do damage.

.-Federers_Mate-.
11-03-2010, 10:34 PM
never made a name for himself and upset anyone big until 2010. He can rebound, just in a slump atm

Shows that you started watching tennis in 2010. NID

Action Jackson
11-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Played too much. Guys with that frame can't pack in that many matches and not do damage.

Been mentally fried for a while, he needs the off season to come quickly.

Speed of Light
11-03-2010, 10:36 PM
No.
Just what happened to Del Pot Pole.
Swallowed off more than he could chew.
And we all know, regurgitation is the result.

Certinfy
11-03-2010, 10:36 PM
It's clear he's lost his love for tennis, there isn't much emotion on court any more and even when he loses he doesn't seem to care. However he has had several injuries since Wimbledon which no one has really even mentioned and he's got engaged and stuff off the court so there's a lot going on with him.

Filo V.
11-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Knee jerk reaction.

Still his best ever career year no matter how it's dissected, a TMS final, Slam F and semi.

Oh, I definitely understand it's a knee jerk reaction. That's exactly what I'm fishing for.

Personally, if you look at the majority of his results, they aren't impressive. He has about 5 really good events, the thing is most have been in bigger events, Wimbledon, IW/Miami, RG. Did well for the Czech in the team championships in Belgium and his R1 D.C. match, like he always does, until the Serbia tie, which is in the middle of this down period. Outside of that, it's nothing special at all.

So, you have to wonder, what is his real level? Because honestly, I can see him falling off the radar again. When you out of the blue start doing good in these big events you always struggled with, and then revert all the way back to your previous level and even worse, something is definitely a concern.

Filo V.
11-03-2010, 10:42 PM
I think he's mentally and physically gone and is a shadow on court at this point. He's also been hurt and sick so I don't think he's at 100%. However, you can't discount that his run at RG/Wimby were totally something different than normal for Berdych. And the fact he's failed to back that up brings his status into question. Is he really a top player? Can he physically handle playing deep into events consistently through a year? How confident in himself is he? I'm not sold at all on Berdych, I don't think it's a fluke, but I also don't think he's going to ever live up to a top 5 ranking.

Action Jackson
11-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Oh, I definitely understand it's a knee jerk reaction. That's exactly what I'm fishing for.

Personally, if you look at the majority of his results, they aren't impressive. He has about 5 really good events, the thing is most have been in bigger events, Wimbledon, IW/Miami, RG. Did well for the Czech in the team championships in Belgium and his R1 D.C. match, like he always does, until the Serbia tie, which is in the middle of this down period. Outside of that, it's nothing special at all.

So, you have to wonder, what is his real level? Because honestly, I can see him falling off the radar again. When you out of the blue start doing good in these big events you always struggled with, and then revert all the way back to your previous level and even worse, something is definitely a concern.

In other words you expect every top player to have Federer, Nadal and Djokovic like consistency? News, it doesn't happen.

Read what philo said and that sums it up in less words, in addition he is chasing the TMC spot which has lead to him overplaying tournaments. He is good enough for the top 10 and that's where he is. It's pretty simple, if he doesn't perform, then he will fall.

The big results count and he has had excellent results in these events.

Cloudygirl
11-03-2010, 10:45 PM
He had taken many top players to the limit in years gone by but never made a name for himself and upset anyone big until 2010. He can rebound, just in a slump atm

He beat Federer and Nadal before 2010?

Filo V.
11-03-2010, 10:52 PM
In other words you expect every top player to have Federer, Nadal and Djokovic like consistency? News, it doesn't happen.

Read what philo said and that sums it up in less words, in addition he is chasing the TMC spot which has lead to him overplaying tournaments. He is good enough for the top 10 and that's where he is. It's pretty simple, if he doesn't perform, then he will fall.

The big results count and he has had excellent results in these events.
I think he's good enough at times for the top 10, but overall throughout the season, he hasn't had top 10 results. I don't expect results from the top 3 guys but when you have a below .500 record for essentially half a season, and yet still ranked #6, there is a problem. Yes, he's overplayed and physically gone and mentally exhausted, but that tells me that he isn't equipped to be a top player anyway, he can't handle what comes with winning. The big results do count, not trying to take away from his results there, but if Berdych has really matured, he would show that he can consistently play well, and he has shown he's incapable of it, for numerous reasons. He's already proven before now he's dangerous, but has he really gone beyond that level and legitimized himself? Questionable.

Action Jackson
11-03-2010, 10:58 PM
I think he's good enough at times for the top 10, but overall throughout the season, he hasn't had top 10 results. I don't expect results from the top 3 guys but when you have a below .500 record for essentially half a season, and yet still ranked #6, there is a problem. Yes, he's overplayed and physically gone and mentally exhausted, but that tells me that he isn't equipped to be a top player anyway, he can't handle what comes with winning. The big results do count, not trying to take away from his results there, but if Berdych has really matured, he would show that he can consistently play well, and he has shown he's incapable of it, for numerous reasons. He's already proven before now he's dangerous, but has he really gone beyond that level and legitimized himself? Questionable.

In other words you are overrating Berdych and having a knee jerk reaction because he hasn't reached the overrated standards you have of him.

It's actually more important how he backs up next season than now, that should be obvious enough.

finishingmove
11-03-2010, 11:11 PM
if Soderling can reach 2 consecutive RG finals, then i guess Berdych can have a repeat of his 2010 as well.

he looks done for the year though

dombrfc
11-03-2010, 11:18 PM
He was in the best form of his life a few months back, now he's fell down a couple of gears... it happens!

coonster14
11-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Berdych hit a hot streak at French Open and Wimbledon this year, but ever since then, he's been going downhill quicker than a rollercoaster at Disneyland.

Hopefully he gets his game back for 2011, he is good to watch when he plays well.

Helevorn
11-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Been mentally fried for a while, he needs the off season to come quickly.

yep. let's wait 2011, this year is over for him, as I said one month ago

Li Ching Yuen
11-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Fix that serve and he won't have to get regular spankings from lesser ranked guys when he's off.

Sillyrabbit
11-04-2010, 12:56 AM
It's clear he's lost his love for tennis, there isn't much emotion on court any more and even when he loses he doesn't seem to care. However he has had several injuries since Wimbledon which no one has really even mentioned and he's got engaged and stuff off the court so there's a lot going on with him.

Eh? If anything, shouldn't his stellar year at big events have motivated him even more, knowing that he's not that old and can still improve and do better?

Montego
11-04-2010, 01:01 AM
Berdych has a game to beat anyone, anywhere. He won't be a second Federer, but I don't exclude some fluke Slam somewhere. He proved that in the past as a youngster and he proved this in 2010 with his best season ever. He is done for the season, he will get serious ass spanking in London, but in 2011 he can kick some arses

Game and technique - Top10. Consistency - somewhere between #1 and #350

Topspindoctor
11-04-2010, 01:17 AM
He mentally checked out after Wimbledon final. Let's hope he can turn things around a bit next year.

HKz
11-04-2010, 01:20 AM
Certainly not a fluke. However, if he didn't beat Federer at Miami, I don't think his run at Roland Garros/Wimbledon would have ever happened.

I mean look, he got mentally destroyed AFTER losing to Federer at Toronto, because after all that was a quarterfinal in which they played.

The Matador
11-04-2010, 01:42 AM
I dont know what is up with Berdych i had him down to qualify for the barclays atp world tour finals at the start of the year and it looks like he will do so but i dont know whats happened to him since wimbledon.

He isnt making anywhere near enough 1st serves his movement is a step behind earlier in the year and he makes about 2 unforced errors per service game guaranteed his returning is pityful aswell right now he better sort himself out for 2011 otherwise he will depart the top 10 quickly and wont return anytime soon.

Action Jackson
11-04-2010, 03:14 AM
yep. let's wait 2011, this year is over for him, as I said one month ago

There are many players like this and a lot of the time the TMC is who less fucked up mentally.

As for Berdych and his serve, well the kick serve is like a volley to Andreev.

Geo
11-04-2010, 04:14 AM
I think he has potential to do much more than he has, but he's such a moody player that he gets in his own way :o If something is bothering him, whether it's a minor injury, sickness or even the court conditions/umpire, he can just totally lose focus or not even try that hard :o It's the attitude that needs changing.

jrm
11-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Running out of gas (and will) i guess

hicdick
11-04-2010, 09:31 AM
no way it was fluke run. he has the game to be a slam winner (same can't be said about many other so-called top players) but i don't think he has consistency to get in top four or so. next season is so important for him, i think it's a make-or-break season in his career.

wee
11-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Discuss.

I don't think so---No.