Basel R1: Roddick def. Querrey 7-5 7-6(6) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Basel R1: Roddick def. Querrey 7-5 7-6(6)

COA
11-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Good one :)

Certinfy
11-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Really good match.

Querrey on the SP he had in the 2nd set though :help: :tape: One of the worst misses on a big point you'll ever see!

Timariot
11-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Andy served well, but looked really toothless from the baseline. I can't predict much success at him here...

Certinfy
11-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I actually thought Andy played quite well from the baseline :shrug:

solowyn
11-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm still in pain thinking about that set point, let alone how Querrey must be feeling :lol: Enjoyable match though, some really wicked shotmaking alongside the big serves.

loopback
11-03-2010, 06:04 PM
something is still bothering roddick

timafi
11-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Querrey you idiot on SP:o:o:o:rolleyes:

Timariot
11-03-2010, 06:09 PM
I actually thought Andy played quite well from the baseline :shrug:

He moved well and didn't make that many UE's, but his hitting was really pretty weak...but I guess this is the level he can play these days...

Mario Sharapov
11-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Andy :inlove:

Priam
11-03-2010, 06:30 PM
That SP will give Sam some nightmares. :lol:

Pretty interesting match. I hope Duck is fit and plays WTFs.

tennisfan856
11-03-2010, 06:36 PM
both guys served well. Difference in the match was andy's ability to put more balls in play and make less mistakes.

Sam needs a productive offseason to address his baseline game or his ranking will drop next year.

allpro
11-03-2010, 06:39 PM
fuck!

Horatio Caine
11-03-2010, 06:50 PM
both guys served well. Difference in the match was andy's ability to put more balls in play and make less mistakes.

Sam needs a productive offseason to address his baseline game or his ranking will drop next year.

Yeah, it is likely that Querrey's ranking will drop next year, but maybe not by much. It depends whether he can clean up again in the '250s' and win some half-decent points at '500s.'

Unless he improves on his form from the second half of this season, he will struggle to be as dominant at the lower level (a little like Cilic), and is likely to lose his Memphis '500' title. However, the rest of his '500' results were terrible, so a few QFs would be useful.

His Slam performances haven't been bad, but, like Isner, he just can't get it together in the Masters events...too competitive for him. Unless he can go further in those (a couple of R3-QF), he will be capped at very bottom end of the top 20.

Voo de Mar
11-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Querrey shouldn't have lost the 2nd set, that set point for him at 6:5 in the tie-break... :o

tennisfan856
11-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Yeah, it is likely that Querrey's ranking will drop next year, but maybe not by much. It depends whether he can clean up again in the '250s' and win some half-decent points at '500s.'

Unless he improves on his form from the second half of this season, he will struggle to be as dominant at the lower level (a little like Cilic), and is likely to lose his Memphis '500' title. However, the rest of his '500' results were terrible, so a few QFs would be useful.

His Slam performances haven't been bad, but, like Isner, he just can't get it together in the Masters events...too competitive for him. Unless he can go further in those (a couple of R3-QF), he will be capped at very bottom end of the top 20.

You look at his results this year, and you can say that his clutch ability to play the big points won him a fair share of matches. If it wasn't for a couple points here and there, his win-loss record would be drastically different. What I am trying to get at is, Sam better realize that he won't be a perennial top 20 player if he thinks he can pull off these tight 3, 5 setters every season. As time goes by, more and more people will read his game and make the proper adjustments. This offseason is the time to address that backhand, his volleys, and a stronger 2nd serve.

Otherwise, he's going to rely on clutch and luck again to survive tournaments. Those factors are also from confidence, he looks like he is missing that right now.

Fumus
11-03-2010, 07:17 PM
You look at his results this year, and you can say that his clutch ability to play the big points won him a fair share of matches. If it wasn't for a couple points here and there, his win-loss record would be drastically different. What I am trying to get at is, Sam better realize that he won't be a perennial top 20 player if he thinks he can pull off these tight 3, 5 setters every season. As time goes by, more and more people will read his game and make the proper adjustments. This offseason is the time to address that backhand, his volleys, and a stronger 2nd serve.

Otherwise, he's going to rely on clutch and luck again to survive tournaments. Those factors are also from confidence, he looks like he is missing that right now.

Sam is not a champion. Some players just have the intangible ability to rise to the occasion and size an opportunity regardless of occasion or opponent. Sam has shown countless times through his career he does not have those qualities, therefore the highest ranking he can expect to see is the top 20.

Give up on him, root for Ryan Harrison.

Hellraiser
11-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Good job Andy!, London is callin'

tennisfan856
11-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Sam is not a champion. Some players just have the intangible ability to rise to the occasion and size an opportunity regardless of occasion or opponent. Sam has shown countless times through his career he does not have those qualities, therefore the highest ranking he can expect to see is the top 20.

Give up on him, root for Ryan Harrison.

Harrison has a long way to go. He better go international next year or he isn't going anywhere with his game facing Kendrick, Reynolds, and Young every week in these challengers.

Fumus
11-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Harrison has a long way to go. He better go international next year or he isn't going anywhere with his game facing Kendrick, Reynolds, and Young every week in these challengers.

Yes but Harrison has the potential to win majors, Sam has the potential to make the odd quarter final. I'd be happy to eat my words but I don't think I will. So here's a bold prediction...

Harrison will be in the top 50 this time next year and will have won an ATP event(not a challenger).

illepingis
11-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Roddick did a 175 kmh forehand in the beginning

tennisfan856
11-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Yes but Harrison has the potential to win majors, Sam has the potential to make the odd quarter final. I'd be happy to eat my words but I don't think I will. So here's a bold prediction...

Harrison will be in the top 50 this time next year and will have won an ATP event(not a challenger).

I hope you are right because I like the kid, but he hasn't even sniffed the clay surface. He would have to play flawlessly at ATP hard courts to achieve that prediction. The reason why I want him to go international is even in qualis and euro challengers, he'll be facing better talent than what he is facing in the U.S. now. I just want him to get some experience on the tour against the international class of the tour. He better not rot in the U.S. like Donald Young has done to his career.

Team_Roddick
11-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Couple of quality shots from Andy. :)

kindling
11-03-2010, 08:55 PM
something is still bothering roddick

yeah, tennis, he doesn't seem to like it much anymore.

Silver.
11-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Come on Andy, WTF!! *fingers crossed* :yippee:

fran70
11-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Good victory for Roddick considering his present circunstances. He has a difficult draw behind him but it`s a really good test to see where he is standed.

navy75
11-04-2010, 06:04 AM
I hope you are right because I like the kid, but he hasn't even sniffed the clay surface. He would have to play flawlessly at ATP hard courts to achieve that prediction. The reason why I want him to go international is even in qualis and euro challengers, he'll be facing better talent than what he is facing in the U.S. now. I just want him to get some experience on the tour against the international class of the tour. He better not rot in the U.S. like Donald Young has done to his career.

Don't forget that at 15 years old Harrison qualified for Houston and beat then world top 100 Pablo Cuevas at the clay tournament in Houston. Obviously his game is best suited for hard at the moment, but he's got the tennis aptitude to be stellar on any surface.

There is no comparison when looking at Harrison's maturity when contrasted with Young, and don't forget that Harrison won their last meeting in straights despite being three years younger. Hopefully Harrison has a breakout 2011 in store.

DanaKz
11-04-2010, 02:43 PM

Seems like Martin Damm thinks alike :)
This is from Ryan's Facebook:
Time to get ready for Europe

He withdrew from Knoxville.

Fumus
11-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Don't forget that at 15 years old Harrison qualified for Houston and beat then world top 100 Pablo Cuevas at the clay tournament in Houston. Obviously his game is best suited for hard at the moment, but he's got the tennis aptitude to be stellar on any surface.

There is no comparison when looking at Harrison's maturity when contrasted with Young, and don't forget that Harrison won their last meeting in straights despite being three years younger. Hopefully Harrison has a breakout 2011 in store.

Seems like Martin Damm thinks alike :)
This is from Ryan's Facebook:

He withdrew from Knoxville.

Exactly guys. Harrison is the real deal. ;)

sheva07
11-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Andy sucks on the baseline. Hardly top 30.

Jimnik
11-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Good result.

Hopefully Andy can stay injury and mono free for a while.