8 Hawk-Eye courts at Indian Wells next year [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

8 Hawk-Eye courts at Indian Wells next year

_Chaz
11-03-2010, 01:16 PM
As I read here (http://tennisnet.com/de-DE/Welttennis/Indian-Wells-Hawkeye-alle-Plaetze-Masters-Kalifornien-Allaster-Roddick-Jankovic.aspx) all 8 courts, where the matches will be played, will have Hawk-Eye from next year on.
Hawk-Eye costs between 10.000 and 30.000 $ (every tournament director says something different) and that's really expensive for 8 courts. Do you think thats necessary?
Of course the players are happy about that (in the link above Roddick and Jankovic) and the tournament director Simon says: "It's our aim to get the world's best tournament."
Discuss.

Edit: 3rd option means "I don't care" . Sorry, but I can't correct it any more.

Orka_n
11-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Edit: 3rd option means "I don't care" . Sorry, but I can't correct it any more.I think you can. In "Thread tools" above your first post.

My first reaction was that 8 hawk-eye courts are a bit overkill, but they do what they want with their money of course. :shrug:

Certinfy
11-03-2010, 01:23 PM
It's good, at least every match is fair then.

Vida
11-03-2010, 01:23 PM
what a bourgeoisie!

Certinfy
11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Seriously if an MS event has 8 hawk-eye courts shouldn't Grand Slams?

MalwareDie
11-03-2010, 01:44 PM

This.

oranges
11-03-2010, 02:10 PM
It creates equal conditions for all, so that' good. On a side note, I don't get the ridiculus pricing for hawkeye. Can't the ATP by its own and rent it to tournamnets at reasonable prices then?

Silver.
11-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Good! I agree, Grand Slams should have hawk-eye on more than three courts.

kindling
11-03-2010, 04:57 PM

Indian Wells will be a Grand Slam in 2015, replacing Roland Garros. Just an idea.

star
11-03-2010, 05:00 PM
This is great news!

Although, I have to say that I did enjoy it when a top player was on an outer court without hawkeye and had a mini meltdown realizing there was no challenge to a call. I thought they might install it for courts 2 and 3, but all eight courts! Seven and eight are quite small, and although not contiguious are open to one another.

Mateya
11-03-2010, 05:14 PM
It's not necessary...but it's good.

This will make grand slams look bad. :o

Priam
11-03-2010, 05:23 PM
A little over the top if you ask me. It removes some of the drama of disputed line calls on outer courts.

Might as well do this for all the slams while they're at it.

allpro
11-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Hawk-Eye costs between 10.000 and 30.000 $ (every tournament director says something different) and that's really expensive for 8 courts. Do you think thats necessary?

no worries.....larry has plenty of $$$. he’s also building more practice courts and adding video monitor coverage to all courts so that fans can track any match within the grounds.

what a bourgeoisie!

according to ellison, "why should a guy on court 6 not have the same, fair chance to win a match as the top names in the stadium?" (tennis magazine, nov/dec 2010).

he's actually fighting for the proletariat ;)

star
11-03-2010, 05:52 PM
no worries.....larry has plenty of $$$. he’s also building more practice courts and adding video monitor coverage to all courts so that fans can track any match within the grounds.

according to ellison, "why should a guy on court 6 not have the same, fair chance to win a match as the top names in the stadium?" (tennis magazine, nov/dec 2010).

he's actually fighting for the proletariat ;)

:yeah:

Here's a longer story in English.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2010/11/Other/Indian-Wells-To-Implement-Hawkeye-On-All-Eight-Match-Courts.aspx

ad-out
11-03-2010, 06:04 PM
I think it's great! Players outside the top 10 often get screwed on line calls. At least now at this tournament all will have the same advantages.

allpro
11-03-2010, 06:09 PM

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2010/11/Other/Indian-Wells-To-Implement-Hawkeye-On-All-Eight-Match-Courts.aspx

danke ;)

Raiden
11-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I like this Larry Ellison guy.

He takes the craft seriously and wants the best for it - he won't settle for "second best" and doesn't respect the "traditional" vast quality gap that exists between the show-courts and the other courts...

scoobs
11-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Good.

I hope this catches on soon at the rest of the major tournaments.

Lee
11-04-2010, 01:06 AM

:bigclap: I love the other improvements too. It's really a great tournament for fans which unfortunately being constantly smirked by MTFers who have never attended the tournament.

fast_clay
11-04-2010, 01:10 AM
ellison guy sounds like a fukn hero... hats off... its what the punters want!

HKz
11-04-2010, 03:49 AM
It creates equal conditions for all, so that' good. On a side note, I don't get the ridiculus pricing for hawkeye. Can't the ATP by its own and rent it to tournamnets at reasonable prices then?

This

_Chaz
03-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Does somebody know if they'll have 8 show courts then because of the Hawk-Eye. I've often read sth like "video displays" in these articles. Does that mean we'll have 8 show courts?

barbadosan
03-07-2011, 07:27 PM
While there will always be differences among courts because of size, intimacy or lack of it, etc, there ideally should be no advantage/disadvantage in line calls. Bad enough how some hawk eye court linesmen are shown up to be blind/unsighted/sleeping, to lose because of it must really be galling.

Hopefully like most electronic equipment, the price will keep coming down until all courts have equity in this regard.

ossie
03-07-2011, 07:35 PM
5th slam indeed.

gam_jonte
03-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Since we have seen that it can be controlled how fast a hawk-eye point is showed the next step might be to replace all line judges with a faster hawk-eye system controlled by the umpire.. Im actually thinking this isn't all that improbable in the future..

Certinfy
03-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Since we have seen that it can be controlled how fast a hawk-eye point is showed the next step might be to replace all line judges with a faster hawk-eye system controlled by the umpire.. Im actually thinking this isn't all that improbable in the future..
Totally agreed, would be awesome! :) But then the court would be a little lonely without them :lol:

star
03-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Does somebody know if they'll have 8 show courts then because of the Hawk-Eye. I've often read sth like "video displays" in these articles. Does that mean we'll have 8 show courts?

What do you mean by "show courts?"

This year there are besides the main court several other courts that have a lot of seating. 2 is the next biggest court, 3 the next and then 7 and 8 are almost as big as 3.

Jomp1
03-07-2011, 10:40 PM

This year there are besides the main court several other courts that have a lot of seating. 2 is the next biggest court, 3 the next and then 7 and 8 are almost as big as 3.

He/she means as in TV/Stream coverage. My guess it that in total three courts will.

star
03-08-2011, 12:43 AM

That's my guess too

tealeaves
03-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Just make this tourny a slam and scrap flushing meadows

Topspindoctor
03-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Hawkeye should be mandatory for all tournies. I am tired of players like Roddick getting away with gamesmanship because there's no hawkeye and they can influence the umpire's descision.

star
03-08-2011, 01:33 AM
Just make this tourny a slam and scrap flushing meadows

no,no. It's not big enough for a slam tournament, and Indian Wells isn't a top city the way NY, London, Paris, and Melbourne are. They are big cities with a lot of attractions other than tennis. IW is just a sleepy little place with a lot of golf -- uh what do you call them? yes. Golf courses.

BodyServe
03-08-2011, 09:05 AM
I don't know if all the 8 courts will be show courts, but one thing is sure, they will all be slow courts.

Blackbriar
03-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Hawke-eye everywhere! Federer is doomed!

star
03-10-2011, 03:44 AM
I saw two challenges on outer courts today -- Court 4 and Court 3. Both calls were wrong. One was the umpire overruling the lineperson and the ball was squarely on the line. The ohter call was wrong too, but a bit closer. Both were serves.

The one match was Smyczek/Decoud. These guys never get to challenge. It was great.