Federer def. Dolgolopov 6-4 5-2 ret. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer def. Dolgolopov 6-4 5-2 ret.

Fedicilous
11-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Upset of the year, definitely

philosophicalarf
11-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Lucky Fed, Dolgo was about to start playing.

ps bit of a serve fest, neither returning well, two slack service games for Dolgo. Fed looked sharp.

dombrfc
Against the odds, Roger found a way.

Got lucky with that injury.

Montego
6-4 *5-2 15-15 ret.

Dolgo was running for a ball and twisted his ankle, looked bad in the slow motion

SVK
11-01-2010, 07:33 PM
6-4, 6-2 ret.?:spit:

dombrfc
Thread title is wrong btw, dolgo retiring after the match? :p

ApproachShot
You mean 6-4 5-2 ret?

Sorry way to end the match. Fed looked like a man on a mission - there was about 48 mins of play.

dodo
11-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Meh, could have taken 5 minutes and just tanked the 3 points.

Anyway, wasnt much of a match, competition-wise. Some good rallies on Dolgo's serve, but he could barely return any of Roger's.

Sophocles
Unfortunate end to an entertaining contest. Federer was sharp, Dolgolopov error-prone & without a plan B.

Singularity
Thread title is wrong btw, dolgo retiring after the match? :p
Has anyone ever injured themselves on the last point of the match?

Certinfy
11-01-2010, 07:36 PM
:sad:

Fedicilous
Yes, it's my mistake. I'm just so excited about the giant luck Federer had today.

castle007
retiring at 4-6 2-5 15-15.. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Federer :D

Puschkin
rather boring, expected more from Dolgopolov, hope the ankle isn't too bad.

Corey Feldman
11-01-2010, 07:37 PM
"6-4 6-2 ret" :lol:

Matt01
11-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Flukerer and his neverending luck :rolleyes:

ZaZoo)
11-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Kinda boring match, almost all serve.

madmax
11-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Flukerer and his neverending luck :rolleyes:

Joker and his neverending fluke draws;)

Singularity
11-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Kind of crazy to think that in his whole career Fed never had to retire, like this.

Fedicilous
11-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Kind of crazy to think that in his whole career Fed never had to retire, like this.

He should have done it on couple of occasions, like the TMC contest against Murray in 2008.

70-68
Well, Dolgopolov got injured, and that was the last point of the match, because he retired. :shrug: so he injured on the last point of the match

Timariot

He will regret it when the Devil will come to collect his soul.

Sapeod
Easy win......Roger is obviously too good for Fixopolov.

Toooooo goooood GOAT :worship:

Certinfy
Dolgopolov would have won had he not picked up that injury!

Pirata.
11-01-2010, 07:44 PM
He will regret it when the Devil will come to collect his soul.

:confused:

finishingmove
11-01-2010, 08:12 PM
expected win for frauderer

Orka_n
11-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Shocking result.

Aenea
11-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Flukederer def. Dolgolopov 6-4 6-2 ret.
Upset of the year, definitely

How could one retire after the match was completed? :scratch:

FormerRafaFan
11-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Glad Dolgo lost. Pathetic fixer.

Matt01
11-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Joker and his neverending fluke draws;)

Joker always gets the hardtest draws!!!1 :fiery:

Singularity
11-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, Dolgopolov got injured, and that was the last point of the match, because he retired. :shrug: so he injured on the last point of the match
But the match was only over *because* he retired. I mean where the match was over anyway.

theseth1119
11-01-2010, 08:56 PM
I still think it's really amazing that in over 900 singles matches played, Rogie's never ever once retired in the middle of a match!

Corey Feldman
11-01-2010, 09:07 PM
I still think it's really amazing that in over 900 singles matches played, Rogie's never ever once retired in the middle of a match!dont keep saying it, you will tempt fate

Sapeod
11-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I still think it's really amazing that in over 900 singles matches played, Rogie's never ever once retired in the middle of a match!
Federer is the best player in the world (Nadal who?)...he doesn't retire....unless it's absolutely needed (huge injury)........Nadal has retired a few times, most of the time because he was getting humiliated and didn't want to make it look like he lost fair and square....it was all the injury...when I'm healthy and not injured, I always win, no?

theseth1119
11-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Rogie's never retired in the middle of a singles match in his ATP career. He has once in the middle of a tournament (called a walkover, Paris 2008 QF against James Blake, who also ironically has never ever retired in the middle of a singles match, although he's played a lot less matches and has missed time with injuries, which Rogie never really does, at least not for extended periods, maybe just an event or two).

Sapeod
11-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Rogie's never retired in the middle of a singles match in his ATP career. He has once in the middle of a tournament (called a walkover, Paris 2008 QF against James Blake, who also ironically has never ever retired in the middle of a singles match, although he's played a lot less matches and has missed time with injuries, which Rogie never really does, at least not for extended periods, maybe just an event or two).
Roger Federer is the best player in the world....what more is there to say?
No retirements....no extended injuries......no blaming injuries on defeats....GOAT....simple as.

luie
11-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Federer is the best player in the world (Nadal who?)...he doesn't retire....unless it's absolutely needed (huge injury)........Nadal has retired a few times, most of the time because he was getting humiliated and didn't want to make it look like he lost fair and square....it was all the injury...when I'm healthy and not injured, I always win, no?
Spot on.

Certinfy
11-01-2010, 09:47 PM
But the match was only over *because* he retired. I mean where the match was over anyway.
Bullshit! Had Tsonga retired when 1-5 down against Federer in Montreal I bet you would of said the same thing! Dolgopolov still could of won this match!

HKz
11-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Bullshit! Had Tsonga retired when 1-5 down against Federer in Montreal I bet you would of said the same thing! Dolgopolov still could of won this match!

Difference is, however, that was in the third set. Clearly a much bigger hurdle for Dolgolopov here.

FormerRafaFan
11-01-2010, 10:00 PM

Uhm.. I'm sorry, but Nadal has had a few more injuries than Federer. And Nadal also just retires when he absolutely has to!

He lost against Melzer in Shanghai. Did he claim an injury then and retire? NO. He only retires when he's injured. And what you call "humiliated" is him losing with big numbers just because HE IS INJURED. Maybe he doesn't want to risk making it worse and therefore retires?

Please don't set Fed on a pedestal. He's no angel either. You never seem to talk about him throwing bottles at the ballboys, or what about him refusing to shake the umpire's hand? Or what about the time he smashed his racket.. how many times have you seen Nadal do that?

You all love to hate on nadal and completely ignore the sh*t your fave player has done. It's such a double standard and pathetic imo.

Singularity
11-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I think you misunderstood what I said. I know Dolgolopov could have gone on to win; hence why it was a retirement.

I was asking whether there was a match where the player got injured on the last point (match point), to give the opponent the match, without a retirement (because the match was over anyway).

HKz
11-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Uhm.. I'm sorry, but Nadal has had a few more injuries than Federer. And Nadal also just retires when he absolutely has to!

He lost against Melzer in Shanghai. Did he claim an injury then and retire? NO. He only retires when he's injured. And what you call "humiliated" is him losing with big numbers just because HE IS INJURED. Maybe he doesn't want to risk making it worse and therefore retires?

Please don't set Fed on a pedestal. He's no angel either. You never seem to talk about him throwing bottles at the ballboys, or what about him refusing to shake the umpire's hand? Or what about the time he smashed his racket.. how many times have you seen Nadal do that?

You all love to hate on nadal and completely ignore the sh*t your fave player has done. It's such a double standard and pathetic imo.

Is he superhuman? He retired against Hewitt at Queen's in 2006 with a shoulder injury, and then comes back to reach the Wimbledon final just a few weeks later. Magic.

luie
11-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Rest-up champ, there will be more days to hate, Dolgo was never winning this.:rolleyes:

hicdick
11-01-2010, 10:26 PM

yes, it seemed probable that dolgo would win.. dolgo had just won his fourth point on federers serve in the match and was only a doublebreak and a set down. federer looked very worried imo. :o
anyway, a bit disappointing match. expected more from dolgopolov, whose return of serve was pretty poor (on the other hand, fed was serving quite well eventhough his first serve % was a bit low). hard to judge on this performance, but federer seemed quite solid. unfortunate end to the match, hope the injury isn't too serious.

emotion
11-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Well on his way to victory when he retired.

tealeaves
11-01-2010, 11:51 PM

Yes, but not on ATP. Mary Pierce vs Zvonareva. Can't recall which tourny which year. Mary Pierce hasn't played a match since.

.-Federers_Mate-.
11-02-2010, 03:02 AM
ok, just watched the match on youtube

Federer did enough, nothing special, but he took the dummy away form the ugly little girl. Roger was on top pretty much the whole way through, always in control, crusiy stuff. Dolgo had nothing on Fed, and in general Fed is the MUCH MUCH Better player than the ugly ache ridden eastern european. DOlgo was never beating fed, he was just Dreaming. Federer is better in very department by a country mile. Fed taught him a lesson, and humbled him. Really just too good from Roger, expect harder challenges later in the tourney. This was pretty much a practice match.

Dolgopolov is wuss. Why couldnt he have played? mp, and let Fed have the ace, what a loser. Je is a fixing poor sport and should never be at the top level of tennis because quite frankly he is loser and not good enough. What a disgraceful act from this stupid little girl, quitting just like that. How fucking dare him do that infront of Roger, just a joke. Was an insult to the sport watching this pubescent little girl quit like that. WHat a baby. Why couldnt he have let the match finish?, he didnt have to anything. Quitters are losers and Dolgo the wta lookalike fits the bill perfectly. He is a disgrace to the game. He is a fixer,a quitter and the ugliest player on tour. I dont want to see his hideos face on my comp again that for sure. Hasnt the twat heard of achne cream?, god what a joke. To be honest he should have fined. Its that simple. No one commits that kind of wussy act infront of Roger, no one :o.

That being said Rog, should win the tourney..he is a class above the rest of the field. Roger :worship:. I have to say he dealt with the situation well, if it was me on court things would have gone differently when Dolgo quit.

v-money
11-02-2010, 04:24 AM
ok, just watched the match on youtube

Federer did enough, nothing special, but he took the dummy away form the ugly little girl. Roger was on top pretty much the whole way through, always in control, crusiy stuff. Dolgo had nothing on Fed, and in general Fed is the MUCH MUCH Better player than the ugly ache ridden eastern european. DOlgo was never beating fed, he was just Dreaming. Federer is better in very department by a country mile. Fed taught him a lesson, and humbled him. Really just too good from Roger, expect harder challenges later in the tourney. This was pretty much a practice match.

Dolgopolov is wuss. Why couldnt he have played? mp, and let Fed have the ace, what a loser. Je is a fixing poor sport and should never be at the top level of tennis because quite frankly he is loser and not good enough. What a disgraceful act from this stupid little girl, quitting just like that. How fucking dare him do that infront of Roger, just a joke. Was an insult to the sport watching this pubescent little girl quit like that. WHat a baby. Why couldnt he have let the match finish?, he didnt have to anything. Quitters are losers and Dolgo the wta lookalike fits the bill perfectly. He is a disgrace to the game. He is a fixer,a quitter and the ugliest player on tour. I dont want to see his hideos face on my comp again that for sure. Hasnt the twat heard of achne cream?, god what a joke. To be honest he should have fined. Its that simple. No one commits that kind of wussy act infront of Roger, no one :o.

That being said Rog, should win the tourney..he is a class above the rest of the field. Roger :worship:. I have to say he dealt with the situation well, if it was me on court things would have gone differently when Dolgo quit.

Why does it matter that his opponent was Federer? If he actually quit because of a reason other than an injury then it is indeed a disgrace...against any player.
Nevertheless, you have to relax man. This is one of the most hateful rants I have seen on this forum and just because he let your favorite player win one point early of a match that had a forgone conclusion. It's really not a big deal. Dolgopolov is young and may need to mature and realize the right thing to do in this situation, but his looks or his, as you may call it, "disrespect" of Federer have nothing to do with him becoming a good player.

Audacity
11-02-2010, 07:08 AM
I don't have time to read through this thread to find out why he retired, but couldnt he have played out the final game? Man up.

HKz
11-02-2010, 07:14 AM
I don't have time to read through this thread to find out why he retired, but couldnt he have played out the final game? Man up.

We will never know. I mean plenty of players have done this stunt. Djokovic a couple of times, I remember Nadal being only 2 games from defeat against Juan Monaco and retiring, among others.

*Jean*
11-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Aleks :sad:

Montego
11-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Some people here are so bitter.

I was the one who actually watched the whole match on my TV and it is true that Federer was in cruise control mode and that Dolgopolov was always in the losing position here.

But it was not that he retired because he was losing. He really twisted his ankle and it looked more or less like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ImXAD_tig (careful, +18)

It was even in the same part of the court and the same shot.

Of course it was not as bad in results as Stich's case, but Dolgo was holding his ankle and his knee and looked quite in pain. The trainer came, he shook his head towards Fed and towards the umpire, Dolgo shook his head as well and it was obvious that he cannot continue.

The ones who are calling him quitter without knowing the facts are just internet trolls. Maybe if he had torn his ligaments on matchpoint or broke his leg or something - he should continue as well, because "it was just one point away" ?

It was a real injury and not some fixing / faking / tanking / whatever

cutesteve22
11-02-2010, 09:46 AM
keep winning Roger
speed recover Alexandr

Corey Feldman
11-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Federer knows about twisting ankles on this court, happened to him in 2004 and 2005

Tommy_Vercetti
11-02-2010, 04:48 PM
retiring at 4-6 2-5 15-15.. Hopefully it is serious.

Fixed.

Otherwise there is no excuse for pulling such a stunt. Fines, fines and more fines and suspensions for retirements without strict medical examination.

Sapeod
11-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Aleks :sad:
He retired at 2-5....couldn't he play the last game.....what a poor sport...he better man up.

I feel sorry you support such a player.

Singularity
11-02-2010, 07:35 PM
He retired at 2-5....couldn't he play the last game.....what a poor sport...he better man up.

I feel sorry you support such a player.
Did you watch the match? Looked like he could barely walk.