Do you think that it's rude how most players don't sign autographs after winning? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Do you think that it's rude how most players don't sign autographs after winning?

lleytonfan!
10-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Monica Seles said in her first book, how she thought that it was poor sportsmanship how other players only sign after winning. She always signed, win or lose. She is by far the exception.

Players need t realise that if not for the fans, they wouldn't be anywhere near as lucrative as they are. They wouldn't even be able to make a living off of tennis. It shows a real sore-loser. Win and everything's great, all smiles and sign autograps. Lose and storm off the court.

ccccb

.-Federers_Mate-.
10-31-2010, 07:25 AM
most players do. From memory, Monfils and haas are the only ones who dont. Federer and Nadal both spend about 10 minutes signing shit after their matches on laver. Murray did the same on margaret court this year, signed everyones shit was very nice about it.

Nando even went around the whole stadium signing shit after his macth on MCA at the AO, was great last year aswell. Him,Fed,Blake and simon sign for the longest

Benny_Maths
10-31-2010, 07:27 AM
It depends on how you look at it really. They have different obligations depending on whether tennis is a hobby or their job.

lleytonfan!
10-31-2010, 07:28 AM
most players do. From memory, Monfils and haas are the only ones who dont. Federer and Nadal both spend about 10 minutes signing shit after their matches on laver. Murray did the same on margaret court this year, signed everyones shit was very nice about it.

Nando even went around the whole stadium signing shit after his macth on MCA at the AO, was great last year aswell. Him,Fed,Blake and simon sign for the longest

So sorry. Title is meant to be after LOSING!

lleytonfan!
10-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Monica Seles said in her first book, how she thought that it was poor sportsmanship how other players only sign after winning. She always signed, win or lose. She is by far the exception.

Players need t realise that if not for the fans, they wouldn't be anywhere near as lucrative as they are. They wouldn't even be able to make a living off of tennis. It shows a real sore-loser. Win and everything's great, all smiles and sign autograps. Lose and storm off the court.

.-Federers_Mate-.
10-31-2010, 07:30 AM
So sorry. Title is meant to be after LOSING!

dude how old are you, 5?. Yes those players i mentioned still sign a bit after losing. Not going to go into detail about this cos its a topic for little kids (i still like getting autographs and pics with players) but whatever

Audacity
10-31-2010, 07:36 AM
I don't think it's rude. I'd be pretty pissed after losing an important match.

Nidhogg
10-31-2010, 07:43 AM
No, I don't. Big up to those who do without stealing the winner's limelight, but those who refrain don't automatically deserve any bashing in my book. It's bogus that you wouldn't be allowed to just walk off the court in disappointment after coming off second best.

Nidhogg
10-31-2010, 07:49 AM
Instead of creating this new and improved thread you can just change the title of the original one by clicking next to that very thread title while browsing GM.

«Ivan»
10-31-2010, 08:00 AM
nole does that always but i don't think it's rude.i would do the same.

jrm
10-31-2010, 08:52 AM
Sometimes those autographs chasers (most of them actually) are clueless and ignorant; like a player who just lost is going to take time and sign some autographs! But no, there they are sticking everything that's signable into your face!

gulzhan
10-31-2010, 08:54 AM
I think it is very rude to ask a player who lost for an autograph. Insensitive and selfish. Hate such fans.

Dougie
10-31-2010, 09:09 AM
Some fans are rude and pushy, and certainly the losing player might not feel like signinig autographs, but in the end, it´s the fans who pay for the whole thing and who´s interest in the game allows top players to earn nice sums of money, it would be good for the players to remember that, no matter how dissapointed they might feel. Signing 20 autographs, for example, takes them like 2 minutes, but every one of those 20 means a lot to kids who are asking them. Being a professional means being a professional even when you lose.

mark73
10-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Some fans are rude and pushy, and certainly the losing player might not feel like signinig autographs, but in the end, it´s the fans who pay for the whole thing and who´s interest in the game allows top players to earn nice sums of money, it would be good for the players to remember that, no matter how dissapointed they might feel. Signing 20 autographs, for example, takes them like 2 minutes, but every one of those 20 means a lot to kids who are asking them. Being a professional means being a professional even when you lose.

well said. Fans provide the players with their income.

Orka_n
10-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Regardless, no, I don't think it's rude. If a player wants to leave the courts as soon as possible because he's disappointed, he should be allowed to do that without having a bunch of non-sympathetic fans whining about it.

fast_clay
10-31-2010, 01:28 PM
can you imagine FederersMate after fed's autograph post match at the AussieOpen, but then fed noticing a massive wet patch on FedsMate's trousers, indicating a highly aroused state for quite some time...

think about that image for a while and then tell me you wouldnt take a wide berth... right...?

Topspindoctor
10-31-2010, 01:30 PM
can you imagine FederersMate after fed's autograph post match at the AussieOpen, but then fed noticing a massive wet patch on FedsMate's trousers, indicating a highly aroused state for quite some time...

think about that image for a while and then tell me you wouldnt take a wide berth... right...?

:spit:

Silver.
10-31-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't think it's rude, I think it's just taken for granted that the autograph hunters getting the "winning signature". I noticed Simon signing a couple in his last defeat in Montpellier, but perhaps he did that because he was in his own country. It's very rarely seen.

fleabitten
10-31-2010, 03:06 PM
No.
It's not rude. It's not the time to be signing autographs. I think not signing after losing a match shows a certain level of professionalism and dedication to winning. You don't want to look like you are there just for the fun of it. Besides, after I lose anyway, I'm not in any mood to be friendly. These people are great competitors and we shouldn't try to force our ideas onto their actions.

ApproachShot
10-31-2010, 03:19 PM
If a player chooses not to sign autographs after a match then it's their prerogative. But every player shoud be aware of heir reponsibilities to those who keep the game alive - namely their fans.

Puschkin
10-31-2010, 03:30 PM
I can understand that players don't want to be chased after a defeat by a bunch of kids who don't even know who they are.

hyperren
10-31-2010, 03:46 PM
I don't think it's rude, and it's quite understandable; I wouldn't hold a grudge towards a player who didn't feel like signing autographs after a loss. Still, it would be nice if they did stick around to sign even a few autographs. It's not so much good sportsmanship, just a really nice gesture to the fans who follow and support them. In Bangkok, Bemelmans signed autographs after losing to Nadal, Nadal signed autographs after losing to GGL, and Nieminen signed autographs after losing in the finals to GGL. It was a nice little gesture, and felt like a bit of an act of gratitude towards their fans...

Sillyrabbit
10-31-2010, 03:46 PM
They're human, they've just lost a match, they have the right to be pissed and a little sore. If they want to walk off the court quickly, it's up to them. It's not like they yelled at a fan or shoved someone while hurrying to leave the court.

RedHotRafa
10-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Put yourself in their shoes, then answer the question

Leo
10-31-2010, 04:16 PM
They are professional tennis players, not professional calligraphy artists. The culture around kids getting autographs is often too much. I don't blame players for not sticking around to sign, especially after losses. It's maybe even tougher after wins, as they have to adequately cool and stretch down, shower, fulfill media obligations, drive back to the hotel, eat food, rest and prepare for the next match, all in very little time.

But then again, it's the ticket-holders who keep the sport running and who keep the money flowing into the pockets of top pros. So there is a trade-off.

Horatio Caine
10-31-2010, 08:22 PM
Nah, it isn't especially rude. They are entitled to feel disappointed, angry or upset with their performances, and many of them won't want to stick around on the court if they are feeling this way (especially after a big match). Put yourself in their shoes...wouldn't you feel the same?

Some people talk of a player's duty towards the fans, but let's not forget that they can be quite accessible after practices...signing autographs, posing for photos and even giving you a couple of minutes to ask questions/chat. :shrug: That is a much more appropriate time to approach them, and if you sound knowledgable (knowing their names is a VERY good start!) many of them will pay attention to you.

My advice would be to show interest in the older players, especially the guys who aren't as strong as they were or have been journeymen for years. These are the players that many fans overlook, and they are often grateful/surprised for the attention!

10-31-2010, 08:49 PM
I wonder if some players when they are defeated don't think it is rude for them to be signing autographs after another player won the Match?

born_on_clay
10-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Rafa always does :hatoff:

Fee
10-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes, it is the fans and the sponsors that keep the profession of tennis going, but no, it is not rude of players to skip signing after they lose a match. Personally, I think it's more disrespectful of fans who expect losing players to sign, but some fans are rude and inconsiderate to players.

It is an interesting question what players should feel 'obligated' to do for the fans who keep tennis going. Maybe some feel their only obligation is to show up for the match and give everything they can on court and nevermind anything else. All that fan stuff is superfluous and most of the people in the stands are not the ones who are autograph seeking anyway right? Think about it, what percentage of spectators at a match even want an autograph? If that small percentage doesn't get one, will tennis cease to exist as an industry?

I don't follow any other sports, but perhaps someone else can offer some insight on this. How accessible to fans are other athletes? It seems tennis players in general make themselves available quite often, is it the same for football, baseball, basketball, etc?

born_on_clay
11-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Rafa always does :hatoff: