Why do you think Davydenko has not been able to return to his level? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why do you think Davydenko has not been able to return to his level?

fran70
10-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Davydenko is one of those cases of players that got injured and are unable to return to his former level.

Do you think that it is going to be a matter of spending more time on court and gain his confidence back until he can return to be at least a top 20 player or do you believe his career is finished?

Of course that a wrist injury is a sensible one but do you think that is the only reason why he is playing so badly lately? I think that the fact that he changed his tennis racket is not helping him either. Don`t think that this Donnay tennis racket is helping him much more than his former Prince one: It seemed to be for me that he is forced to look more for the points now and cannot play so easily his counterpouncher style of playing as he used to do it before with the Prince one.

philosophicalarf
10-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Nasty injury, not that young, really narrow margins on his shots (both net clearance, and basic timing).

Did he really change his racket, or is it a paintjob?

He's showed some signs this week of better form, the second set against Zverev, and 1st against Montanes were very much old Davy. Just can't seem to do it for a whole match, and tiebreaks atm.....

RedHotRafa
10-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Cuz he's an old bag

fran70
10-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Nasty injury, not that young, really narrow margins on his shots (both net clearance, and basic timing).

Did he really change his racket, or is it a paintjob?

He's showed some signs this week of better form, the second set against Zverev, and 1st against Montanes were very much old Davy. Just can't seem to do it for a whole match, and tiebreaks atm.....

I watched that match against Zverev and it was the best tennis I have seen of Davydenko in quite a long time. But he is really far away of his level yet.

I find it hard to understand why he is finding it so difficult to return to a decent level. Bear in mind that he has not been out of the tour for such a long time (he only spent 3 months out).

He is the sort of player where timing is really important, probably more than other players, which seems to be that he is finding it at certain moments of a match according to what I watched this week. His serve is still poor and he is finding troubles to move over his forehand. And as I mentioned I think this new racket is not helping him for his tennis style.

Davydenko was a good player on clay but whose tennis suited better for hard courts. I think that he should focus back on that kind of surface first to find back his rhythm and then possibly return to play on clay again. I think that he still can play a couple of years more in a decent level and be back to a top 20 level.

Topspindoctor
10-31-2010, 12:22 PM
He ran out of money to fix matches in his favor.

oranges
10-31-2010, 12:43 PM
He ran out of money to fix matches in his favor.

Rafito is selling matches for a price? :eek:

emotion
10-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Well, his return is way worse. His serve is way better. And he can't win tiebreaks. Not a good combination

Voo de Mar
10-31-2010, 01:59 PM
It's a matter of tie-breaks I suppose, Davydenko last year in Autumn had a great run thanks to tie-breaks, this year is otherwise. I'm not sure what happened that a guy who had 17-1 in tie-breaks between Hamburg '09 and Doha '10 now has a shameful 0-13 record. It can be a matter of concentration and variety, obviously Davydenko is a terrific baseliner but his gameplan is easy to read, he can't surprise his opponent when it's particularly important - in the final stages of a set, at 5:4, 6:5 or in a tie-break. I think the fact he has lost only two matches in long career from a match point up (and only 1 mp in both cases) attests his remarkable ability to increase the focus being close to victory. Everyone has its own limitation, maybe Denko is burnt mentally and in the consequence he can't find the necessary focus when he needed it the most, for example wastes a break point at 5:5 in the 2nd set against Montanes and instead of winning 6-3 7-5 loses it 6-3, 6-7, 6-7... Lendl in his next to last season lost 11 straight tie-breaks :o

_Chaz
10-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Davydenko has a good draw again, just as always since that injury. Will he be able to get advantage of the draw? I mean Marti -> Chela -> Verdasco is very easy for this tournament.
But as I said he always had good draws (at least his openers were almost always easy, Ginepri, Russel, Greul, Zverev,...) and couldn't take advantage last week but maybe this week because this draw is the best you can get (except Kohli is fit).

Leo
10-31-2010, 04:31 PM
He has never been great, anyway.

True idiot in every sense of the word.

Davydenko's terrible comeback from injury has been perhaps the greatest surprise of 2010 in men's tennis. Another huge surprise was Del Potro's inability to play more than three tournaments all year. Both cases go to show: wrist injuries are serious business.

I hope they both come back as they are my favorite players of the top group and they deserve to be up there with the likes of the other big 4.

sheva07
10-31-2010, 05:08 PM
In the middle of 2011 he will reach his best form again. Probably at the FO.

rocketassist
10-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Nadal fans in slagging off players who beat him shocker :eek:

Fedicilous
10-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Obvious hate from Nadulltards because of several anal rapes made on their's idol.

luie
10-31-2010, 05:21 PM
He has never been great, anyway.

H2H 5-4.:devil:

tribalfusion
10-31-2010, 05:46 PM
H2H 5-4.:devil:

I like Davy and he is obviously a great player; I hope he starts to play to his potential again soon as he can be an entertaining player.

I have to say however that it is ironic (though hardly unexpected) that in a thread devoted to Davy's return from injury and its consequences you cite that H2H stat which includes 3 losses from Nadal after his OWN return from injury (even leaving aside the 1 retirement in 2008).

The head to head looks a bit different in that light

shiaben
10-31-2010, 06:08 PM
He has an all around game that can defeat any top player. This is indicative of the sets he's taken from the big guys. As talented of a player he is, he has a few flaws that distinguishes him from the other tops. His endurance is terrible. He will be in shape for the first set, like he was at the AO. But in the best of 5 sets, he eventually runs out of gas, he even lost to Ljubicic which was shocking. He'll have to change this before anything. Second, his mental game. Once he loses a set, he becomes very negative, and retorts to ball bashing and just self-imploding. If he can mentally get it together, physically as well, then he would have had a few slams by now. His game is amazing, it's just his endurance and mentality.

swisht4u
11-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Davy's endurance is questionable. He plays a great amount of tennis every year when healthy, it might do him some good to skip a few tournaments. He did in 2009 and was fresh for the last few tournaments.
His mentality has improved also, though late in his career. He was bagelled by Nadal in the first set and still came back to win earlier this year I think it was.
He's a tremendous player when on and has some great shotmaking at times.

I hope he can make it back but time is running out.

jcempire
11-01-2010, 04:24 AM
He's done for the career

Matt01
11-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Obvious hate from Nadulltards because of several anal rapes made on their's idol.

:eek:

LoveFifteen
11-01-2010, 06:47 PM
What is up with some straight guys frequently referring to anal intercourse between men when describing tennis victories? :rolleyes:

alfonsojose
11-01-2010, 07:18 PM
What is up with some straight guys frequently referring to anal intercourse between men when describing tennis victories? :rolleyes:

Great desires hide behind great fears. A secure straight man does not give a crap about another man penis/ass. A closted hompophobic "macho" .. that's another story.