Which ATP retirement could rival Dementieva's class/shock? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which ATP retirement could rival Dementieva's class/shock?

tennisfan856
10-29-2010, 10:40 PM
I know that a lot of our posters are also wta viewers/fans, and what impressed the most about today's retirement from Dementieva is that there is universal sadness and support. My question to you, is there a player out there on the tour that may have not have had grand slam success, but was influential and humble both in the locker room and towards the fans?

My past pick was Kuerten, but he won slams so he has a superb reputation already, and his farewell was also rather predetermined because he went through some operations before finally calling it quits.

If I have to say now on the present tour, I am not so sure we have a character that is as genuinely good as Elena was. It's a tough one, maybe you guys have some ideas.

henke007
10-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Davydenko lol

Certinfy
10-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Dimitrov

emotion
10-29-2010, 10:54 PM
1. Davydenko
2. Nalbandian
3. Gonzalez

Bad Religion
10-29-2010, 10:55 PM
No one

Elena was unique

Jimnik
10-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Roddick

scarecrows
10-29-2010, 10:59 PM
considering how things in WTA have been going wouldnt be surprising if she made the comeback in the middle of next year

Filo V.
10-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Elena retired? WOW. I expect that to change. She's probably just hurt by the fact she had a bad year for her standards. I don't think that this retirement will stick, personally.

On the ATP tour, it's hard to find someone at the top of the game comparable to Dementieva. The top 4 obviously are so great and the top 3 won a major, unlike she did. Murray isn't nearly as well liked universally or as personable as she was. She was consistently top 10 and also someone extremely well respected and beloved by fans and players, also did a lot for charities. The ATP tour is different, in that I think for starters, the faces outside of the top 4 change a lot, not many players have the same record of success for as long as she has. Also the ATP tour sells the tour itself more I think, and the WTA tour sells the players more.

Maybe Ljubicic is the best comparison.

solowyn
10-29-2010, 11:01 PM
My first thought was Gonzo? people have a lot of sympathy for him on here regarding his injuries.

Ivanatis
10-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Roddick

:tape:

I second Bad Religion's and scarecrows' thoughts.

Li Ching Yuen
10-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Yeah, Ljubicic is a good analogy.

Even though different but Gonzalez will probably get the same treatment.

tennisfan856
10-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Ljubo and Gonzo are excellent picks. Fernando's may not come as a shock anymore though considering the extensive surgery and rehabilitation he is required to undergo. But for the most part, they are well liked and respected in the game.

Davydenko for me, doesn't carry the charisma that would capture the heart of the ATP community.

I was like you guys where I felt she will come back in a year or two, but she really looks burnt out and like agassi, was starting to really hate the sport in the last year. I really, really doubt she'll be coming back.

Singularity
10-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Ferrer is pretty well liked and respected, but I guess he isn't noticed by casual tennis fans, and hasn't had much of an impact on the game.

Tutu
10-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Elena won't be coming back. This is a decision she has been contemplating since the beginning of the year.

And no one. The WTA is far greater than the peasants of the ATP.

Sillyrabbit
10-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Elena retired? WOW. I expect that to change. She's probably just hurt by the fact she had a bad year for her standards. I don't think that this retirement will stick, personally.

She's 29 and pretty much hates the media spotlight which coming out of retirement would bring her, I think this is really it for her, sadly:(

I'm picking JCF for surprise.

Goldenoldie
10-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Tommy Haas?

emotion
10-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Elena won't be coming back. This is a decision she has been contemplating since the beginning of the year.

And no one. The WTA is far greater than the peasants of the ATP.

If Serena Williams played Lleyton Hewitt, Hewitt would win 0 and 0

leng jai
10-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Tommy Haas?

Not shocking. Could have retired any year since 2007

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
10-30-2010, 12:34 AM
if safin retired in 2005, the tennis world would have been rocked

if federer retired at the end of 2007 the tennis world would have self destructed

is nadal retires....... 5000 nadal fans would suicide

Certinfy
10-30-2010, 12:34 AM
1. Davydenko
2. Nalbandian
3. Gonzalez
All 3 could perhaps be bigger than Dementieva retiring, all 3 are a possibility as well sadly, I'm not a fan of either but I really hope they don't retire soon, sadly I have a feeling Gonzalez might just end it.

leng jai
10-30-2010, 12:38 AM
WTA retirements are a joke anyway. Half of them retire just because their level dropped and then come back within 2 years. Attention seeking at its finest.

Certinfy
10-30-2010, 12:39 AM
WTA retirements are a joke anyway. Half of them retire just because their level dropped and then come back within 2 years. Attention seeking at its finest.
:haha:

alter ego
10-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Kolya obviously. Both russians, both 29, both have had issues with their serve in the past. Both are slamless, but both have won other important titles. Dementieva the olympics, Davy the YEC. Both have struggled with injuries this season. Both have been present in the top 10 in the last 6-7 years. Both are aggresive baseliners. Both hate the spotlight. Both are rather shy.

OMG I hope kolya dosen't read this post!

ApproachShot
10-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Ferrero, Gonzalez and Nalbandian

But more than that, Davydenko for the reasons that alter ego mentioned. There are numerous parallels.

misty1
10-30-2010, 01:25 AM
i really doubt she will come back in 1 or 2 years like alot of you say

the difference being that kim and justine both rtired young while elena is 29 and for a tennis player as we know thats not young anymore. She'd have to make a comback in her 30's which wont happen.

if you read what she says on tsn.ca she mentions thats he's 29 and she has to start thinking about other parts of her life. To me that says she wants to just settle down and have a family, perhaps get married to her boyfriend.

This is the end of elena and it saddens me because she was great for the sport.

misty1
10-30-2010, 01:30 AM

trust me this one is real

misty1
10-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Kolya obviously. Both russians, both 29, both have had issues with their serve in the past. Both are slamless, but both have won other important titles. Dementieva the olympics, Davy the YEC. Both have struggled with injuries this season. Both have been present in the top 10 in the last 6-7 years. Both are aggresive baseliners. Both hate the spotlight. Both are rather shy.

agree with this

id also say gonzalez and ferrero

Priam
10-30-2010, 02:31 AM

Scary!

OnyxRose
10-30-2010, 03:28 AM
Davy comes the closest but I think Elena was pretty much in a class of her own. I can't think of any retirements that could be shocks. Most of the ATP players either have a slam already, injured or are never going to seriously contend for a major. Elena's case is special.

Topspindoctor
10-30-2010, 03:31 AM
Elena was just crushed after all the GS failures. She was a good player, but weak mentally. She had talent to win 2-3 slams.

Guy Haines
10-30-2010, 03:32 AM
All 3 could perhaps be bigger than Dementieva retiring, all 3 are a possibility as well sadly, I'm not a fan of either but I really hope they don't retire soon, sadly I have a feeling Gonzalez might just end it.

Unlike those three, Elena Dementieva is and was a class act. She also achieved a great deal more, winning the Olympics in singles and reaching the finals of majors on more than one occasion.

The fact that she was the eternal bridesmaid when it comes to majors is another reason why this decision rocks people the way it does. She has a lot of devoted fans.

On top of it, there was something about Dementieva's game that was both fantastic in the way only a top pro can be, and also -- the unique part -- very very human in a way any weekend hacker knows all too well. Her serving woes were the kind of thing any average person who plays tennis could relate to. Her baseline game would drill any poster on this board off the court.

She'll be missed. Even more so because the WTA is more and more woeful with each passing day.

Guy Haines
10-30-2010, 03:33 AM
No one

Elena was unique

Exactly.

FairWeatherFan
10-30-2010, 06:59 AM
These women seem to retire and then come back all the time. Who cares.

brent-o
10-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Ferrer is pretty well liked and respected, but I guess he isn't noticed by casual tennis fans, and hasn't had much of an impact on the game.

Good comparison, I definitely see Ferrer as comparable to Elena personality-wise at least.

brent-o
10-30-2010, 07:03 AM
These women seem to retire and then come back all the time. Who cares.

Mauresmo has stayed retired at least :unsure:

Smoke944
10-30-2010, 08:18 AM
No one

Elena was unique

Awwwwwww. How incredibly endearing that such an enormous ****ing **** as you loves a player that would do amazingly well to win a game off of a challenger player :hug:

San Rosso
10-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Andy Murray?

FormerRafaFan
10-30-2010, 10:19 AM
My first thought was Gonzo? people have a lot of sympathy for him on here regarding his injuries.

Gonzo is an amazing guy both on and off the court. I love the intensity and passion he always brings to his game, even though it might mean some smashing of rackets :p

He's done a lot of charity work too, and have used his tennis for doing good things in the past, like playing the exo match to help with the cleanup after the earthquake in Chile.

It would truly be a loss for tennis if he were to retire. However, it wouldn't come as a shock, and I would understand him. He's not exactly getting any younger, and he keeps getting injured unfortunately :( However, I do think he has a couple of more years in him after he comes back from his injury break. If he decides it's worth it that is..

coonster14
10-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Not too sure on the mens side.

But I am really sad that Elena has now retired, I liked watching her ever since I first noticed her, sure she had a wonky serve but I loved her baseline game, I'll miss her, she was a great personality, I just saw her as a very likeable person to cheer for. (Elena + Kim :D).

She won the 2008 Olympic gold medal and 2000 Olympic silver medal in singles and made the semis or better at each of the four grand slams, not bad at all.

I wish her all the best with what her future holds,

dombrfc
10-30-2010, 10:42 AM
In terms of comparison regarding there position in the game i'd say davydenko, ferrer or gonzalez.

Elena.
10-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Andy Murray?

yeah i am thinking about Murray too :scratch:

freeandlonely
10-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Federer if the timing weird

Winston's Human
10-30-2010, 01:38 PM
I will miss Elena. Elena is the most articulate woman in tennis -- so many other WTA players just babble cliches.

jrm
10-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Dementieva's retirement came out of the blue ...

Echoes
10-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Just love Elena. For her looks and her attitude, down-to-earth. Real class act. And the way she spoke French with a Russian accent, so romantic. :angel: I was still interested in WTA, just because of her.

I didn't really like her tennis though but well, the only tennis player who could use her serve as a weapon due to its weakness. :p

If she is to come back in 2 years, that will be at age 31. Don't be stupid. Henin first stopped at age 26. 29 is the right time to stop for a modern female tennis player.

zoparrat
10-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Marcelo rios minus the class act, being liked and the locker room parts :)
Can't think of anyone really maybe if henman retired earlier or goran retired earlier and slamless.

adam10
10-30-2010, 03:54 PM
mugray

Johnny Groove
10-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Roddick, probably.

Allez
10-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Richard Gasquet and Andy Roddick. The former because even though he's never even come close to winning a slam the fact that one day he would was, for a time a foregone conclusion. The latter because he is for many people a sentimental favourite to finally lift that elusive Wimbledon title. If either retired it would be a HUGE let down :eek:

Topspindoctor
10-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Roddick, probably.

:secret: People actually liked Elena.

Certinfy
10-30-2010, 06:05 PM
:secret: People actually liked Elena.I very much doubt Elena's fanbase is anywhere near as big as Andy's to be honest.

Bad Religion
10-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Roddick, probably.

There will more celebration than sadness among tennis fans when Roddick finally retires
Ugly tennis no more :rocker2:

Serenidad
10-30-2010, 06:58 PM
There will more celebration than sadness among tennis fans when Roddick finally retires
Ugly tennis no more :rocker2:

Spot on. The world will rejoice. Thank goodness he is out of the top 10.

Daniel Brands could produce worldwide sadness.

AsianSensation
10-31-2010, 02:58 AM
Oscar Hernandez for sure.

shiaben
10-31-2010, 03:03 AM
Federer, if he failed to win at least 1 slam in 2011. Realistically one would expect Andy Roddick to retire after failing to achieve results. However, I think he still continues to play tennis for enjoyment. Even if he were to lose in the 1st or 2nd rounds 8x in a row he'd still probably play lol.

Pirata.
10-31-2010, 03:45 AM
I think someone like Ferrer, while it definitely wouldn't be the same level of shock as Lena's, and while he didn't achieve as much as she did, would certainly be the type of player that all fans would miss. I've never heard anyone say a negative word about him, even on these boards (at least as far as I know, I haven't)

«Ivan»
10-31-2010, 03:56 AM
sad news but :worship: to elena.fine young lady,rare one in this circus.

as for her comeback i'm sure she's not a retarded idiot like davenport or henin.unlike those elena,just like mauresmo wouldn't allow herself such a stupidity.

Leo
10-31-2010, 05:43 PM
No one

Elena was unique

This.

Elena was a tennis fan's kind of player. She was as dedicated to playing the sport as we fans are to watching it. She will be ridiculously missed.

Leo
10-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Marcelo rios minus the class act, being liked and the locker room parts :)
Can't think of anyone really maybe if henman retired earlier or goran retired earlier and slamless.

This might be the best comparison so far, IF Henman had retired at the end of 2005, let's say. 2004 was one of his best years with two GS SFs just like Elena's 2009 with two GS SFs. Then they struggled with physical form and consistency in 2005 and 2010 respectively.

Really don't see Elena coming back to the sport, guys. This is not like Kim, Martina, Justine retiring in their mid-20s. She is 29. She also doesn't have the kind of game like Davenport to come back because she relies so much on her legs; Davenport just needs to hit one shot to open up a point. I like her retirement will stick like Mauresmo's...

To be honest, Dementieva has lost a lot of her sting on her groundies since 2005. 2008 and 2009 were some of her best years because she found a consistency on her serve and off the ground she never before had, but the penetration wasn't there anymore like in '04-'05. She knows she doesn't have the mental focus or desire anymore to deal with the likes of Wozniacki (and some other decent up-and-comers) as well as the big 4 in women's tennis.

Tutu
10-31-2010, 08:19 PM
If Serena Williams played Lleyton Hewitt, Hewitt would win 0 and 0
Serena would win w/o. Lleyton would shit his pants at the prospect of playing her and not even make it to court. :(

Norrage
10-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Ljubicic! He is like the father of the tour :)

leng jai
10-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Ljubicic! He is like the father of the tour :)

Thats funny because Ljuba Truba isn't even the oldest guy on tour. He just looks old, hes only 31.

Timariot
10-31-2010, 11:21 PM
There is simply nobody equivalent, which is no surprise as the combination of criterias are tough to meet. What was going for Dementieva was her consistency, she was 10 years in Top 20, and most of that time she was well inside top 10. Only ATP player (other than Federer) who has been that consistent over same time period is Roddick, and there are some parallels...heartbreaking losses, distinctive game, (sometimes) likeable character.

Most important parallel here is that both have been fixtures and mainstays of their respective Tours for so long that it is difficult to imagine Tour without them. Both always have to be mentioned as possible Slam winner candidates, even though we always knew that it probably isn't going to happen (well Roddick was never going to win FO but anyways).

Of course, Dementieva didn't have a habit of berating and whining to officials and keeping it going for on and on and ON...so in this sense they're not similar. But that's just shows what an unique figure Elena was in the game: a likeable, regular person in a world of divas and primadonnas. A lynchpin who worked so hard to keep together the awful mess which WTA became in the 2000's. WTA will find it hard to find someone to fill those Yonex shoes she left.

Paylu2007
11-01-2010, 01:41 AM
if safin retired in 2005, the tennis world would have been rocked

if federer retired at the end of 2007 the tennis world would have self destructed

is nadal retires....... 5000 nadal fans would suicide

LOOOOOL :worship: Agree!

emotion
11-01-2010, 02:03 AM
more like 4 fans with 5,000 collective accounts on MTF...

swebright
11-01-2010, 03:32 AM
Andy Roddick

swebright
11-01-2010, 03:38 AM
Andy Roddick

Bad Religion
11-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Roddick ? . No fucking way

tennis2tennis
11-02-2010, 07:05 AM
sometimes even when the retirement is expected think andre/pete it's still hard for the hardcore tennis junkies:)

Polikarpov
11-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Martin Verkerk :worship: His retirement was a blow to the tennis world. :sad:

henke007
11-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Daniel Brands...