Shall Blake play challengers in USA in November? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Shall Blake play challengers in USA in November?

KrisJB
10-28-2010, 09:02 PM
James Blake should play upcoming challengers in November, i.e. Charlottesville, Knoxville and Champaign ($ 50000 each). In fact, there are not few points to gain because every win is worth 80 points. Why did he decide to make a long journey to Europe whereas he could build his form in the States and recuperate during off-season? It would be a good step before 2011 season.

dombrfc
10-28-2010, 09:05 PM
I agree.

Pirata.
10-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Agreed.

Certinfy
10-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Yes.

samanosuke
10-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Shall Blake retire ?

Certinfy
10-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Shall Blake retire ?
No, not yet. I've seen enough of him in the last few months to know he still has some awesome tennis left in him, just putting it together seems to be the problem. I honestly do think he can put it together again as well, just it'll be hard but if he tries who knows...

DartMarcus
10-28-2010, 09:18 PM
He has to play challengers, if he is healthy. If not - just take rest for 6 weeks and then get ready to AO.

Smoke944
10-28-2010, 09:19 PM
If it was a question of form and not injuries, I would say yeah. But he just needs rest. I think playing Basel and then getting two solid months of rest will probably be his plan.

Hellraiser
10-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Fish was making his position after injury and personal things on his hands. He was playing challangers, then #250 etc, etc I don't remember if he was earning a lot of WC's in USA but I don't think so.

James before USO had in every #250 tournament etc, a wild cird which was wasted, maybe not in two tournaments it was in QF when he lost to Lalo and he had another tournament like that, at USO he played optimal form.

After that he said he gonna make offseason, now he was playing in Stockholm won with Bellucci, Berrer but got smashed by Nieminen, now he lost with Kubot and now he gonna receive not in 100% a wc in Basel. Every of this WC's he is wasting.

It's not he shall play challengers circut, but he must. He must earn some confidence or something he is playing right now witout head and sometimes with few not cured injuries. Or he is only earning money in those type of tournaments like Stockholm, Vienna etc to finish it or he really need to play in some Tretorn Series it's gonna be in Bratislava there is a good entry list for him at the moment or maybe it's to high.

Filo V.
10-28-2010, 09:33 PM
He's probably playing Basel, has he got a WC there already? Basel and then maybe Paris, and that will be it. No, I don't think he should play challengers. He's above challengers, and he's the only way to beat the best is to play the best. Going to challengers, he would win more, but also be playing against lesser players, which isn't the best for him going forward. And if he loses in those challengers, his confidence will take a major hit. So I don't believe challengers are the way to go for him. I think he should shut it down for the season, take the next two months completely off to recuperate, get fit and train, and January 1st, start practicing hard for the AO, he'll likely play an exhibition beforehand which would be smart.

RickDaStick
10-28-2010, 09:34 PM
He's probably playing Basel, has he got a WC there already? Basel and then maybe Paris, and that will be it. No, I don't think he should play challengers. He's above challengers, and he's the only way to beat the best is to play the best. Going to challengers, he would win more, but also be playing against lesser players, which isn't the best for him going forward. And if he loses in those challengers, his confidence will take a major hit. So I don't believe challengers are the way to go for him. I think he should shut it down for the season, take the next two months completely off to recuperate, get fit and train, and January 1st, start practicing hard for the AO, he'll likely play an exhibition beforehand which would be smart.

Blake is above challengers? :haha::haha::haha:

Filo V.
10-28-2010, 09:35 PM

Yes.

Purple Rainbow
10-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Blake is done. It's over.

RickDaStick
10-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Yes.

He has only beaten 4 or 5 top 50 players all year. Doesn't sound like someone above playing challengers.

Timariot
10-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Agassi and Goran were not above Challengers, so Blake should not be either.

Whether his body holds up, is another issue altogether...

navy75
10-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I think you make an excellent suggestion Kris. There are three more challengers in the US, and with the way the points system is set up you get roughly the same amount of points from a challenger win as you do for making a 250 semifinal (which I think is completely skewed in favor of beating weaker players on the challenger circuit). Those assuming that Blake would cruise through against players from #80-#200 might be in for a big surprise, as I would gladly bet the field against James in any of one the upcoming challengers.

Filo V.
10-29-2010, 02:05 AM
Agassi and Goran were not above Challengers, so Blake should not be either.

Whether his body holds up, is another issue altogether...

Different situation than with Andre or Goran. I mean, Goran, as we all know he was perpetually injured. James, however, isn't coming back from months and months of injury, coming back from surgery, with a complete lack of confidence, right now, his issues are more that his body needs to rest, physical fatigue. His tennis level hasn't dropped to the point where challengers are even something that needs to be considered. He just needs to be able to feel healthy. And the only way he'll know if he's back is by playing the top guys and being competitive and beating them.

Filo V.
10-29-2010, 02:07 AM
He has only beaten 4 or 5 top 50 players all year. Doesn't sound like someone above playing challengers.

He's also missed large chunks of the season due to injuries and hasn't been mentally or physically prepared to give his all on the tennis court.

Topspindoctor
10-29-2010, 02:08 AM
He should retire.

Ozone
10-29-2010, 02:08 AM
Well, he really does need the points. I think he's way to stubborn to play chalys though

moon language
10-29-2010, 02:09 AM
Pride is probably stopping him from going this route for now.

betowiec
10-29-2010, 02:15 AM
he needs to retire

Serenidad
10-29-2010, 03:58 AM
Does anyone care? No.

timafi
10-29-2010, 01:00 PM
he shouldn't be given anymore WC

challengers yes

WC's NO;HELL NO!:shrug: