StPetersburg R2: Dolgopolov def Schuettler 6-4 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

StPetersburg R2: Dolgopolov def Schuettler 6-4 6-2

Jacques_Ukraine
10-28-2010, 12:57 PM
The second match and the second win was easier

Regarding the surface. From Dolgo's interview after match with Fognini(in Russian):
«Весь матч проходил довольно нервно, потому что здесь очень своеобразное покрытие. Играю на нем уже четвертый день, но, по сути, так и не привык. Приходилось больше играть тактически, чем за счет скоростей и ударов.

Свойства у покрытия немного странные – плоский удар отскакивает довольно медленно, удар с вращением отскакивает высоко и замедляется, небыстрые мячи тормозятся, резаные же, наоборот, отскакивают с высокой скоростью. Отскоки все время разные, ритма никакого нет, приходится каждый раз играть по ситуации, как получится.

Фоньини ничего особенного не показал, что заставляло бы меня ошибаться. Я сам наделал очень много невынужденных из-за непривычного покрытия, и старался просто играть так, чтобы ему было неудобно. В важные моменты я смог сыграть лучше»

And my translation:
"All match went rather nervously due to very specific surface. I am playing on it the fourth day already, but still not adapted to it in fact. It was needed to play more tactically than for account of speed and hits.
The surface properties are a little strange: flat hit bounces pretty slow, spin hit bounces highly and become slower, slow balls decelerate, but slices rebound with high speed. The bounces are different all time, the rhythm is absent. It's needed to play depending on the situation, without any plan, like a shot in the dark.
Fognini didn't show anything to make me to do errors. I did very many unforced errors myself due to this unusual surface and simply tried to play uncomfortably for Fabio. And during important moments I could play better"

It seems Dolgo was agjusted to this surface better in the second match

Helevorn
10-28-2010, 12:58 PM
great, finally he showed some bits of his tennis

dombrfc
10-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Saw this. Superb at times. Suicidal at others.

philosophicalarf
10-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Dolgo was damn good today. Could have been awkward playing a solid vet, but showed excellent discipline, good use of the slice inviting Schuttler to attack him, picking his moments to attack.

Serve was firing nastily, 68% is way higher than normal, 11 aces on a slow court.

Again, as with Fognini, playing a weak-serving opponent on a slow surface is a great matchup for him.

Schuettler just wanted off court by the end, was getting slaughtered.

In a way, one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen from him (perhaps only Tsonga at Wimbledon was better, given the class of the opponent, the injuries, the comeback from 0-2, and complete unfamiliarity with the surface).

solowyn
10-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Alex :yeah: Great hitting from Dolgopolov, a lot more variation and patience than in some of his recent matches. Stayed in long rallies well with none of his trademark ridiculous UEs, and some reeeeally snazzy winners.

hicdick
10-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Yes! a nice win for dolgo, hope he can keep it up and go far in this tournament :)

Topspindoctor
10-28-2010, 01:52 PM
This kid is good. Hope he can break into top 20 in 2011.

madmax
10-28-2010, 02:13 PM
This tournament is Olek's to lose

Filo V.
10-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Everything needed to say about this match has been said. Dolgo played a great match. Dominated on serve, dominated in rallies, some excellent variety, and played good tactical tennis today. Didn't pull the trigger at bad times and was effectively aggressive, counterpunched very well, hitting some excellent winners. He's a real shotmaker and he's got a whole bunch of game. Once he starts putting performances like this together consistently, he's going to be a terror to play for anyone.