StPetersburg R1: Dolgopolov def Fognini 7-6(5) 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

StPetersburg R1: Dolgopolov def Fognini 7-6(5) 6-4

Jacques_Ukraine
10-27-2010, 11:45 AM
expected? Nevertheless Fognini is a greater fighter than Dolgo :)

fran70
10-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Agree. Especially considering that the last three weeks Fabio spent them in South America playing on clay.

Gęmeos
10-27-2010, 11:49 AM
It's not common to see this mug win in 2

philosophicalarf
10-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Nice opponent for Dolgo, crap serve on a slow court, he can actually get some returns back.

Deivid23
10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Surprised Dolgopolov has not fixed in his last 4 or 5 appearances

Orka_n
10-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Fabio :spit:

straitup
10-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Dolgopolov won in straight sets :eek:

bleu_cheese
10-27-2010, 03:58 PM
The draw has opened up nicely for him, but I can't look too far ahead. Dolgo needs a good result soon, he's played well enough recently.

Sapeod
10-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Fognini played about 3 clay challengers the last few weeks....good scoreline for him considering that.

Pity he couldn't beat this fixer, can't believe Dolgo is a fixer....can't believe I actually liked him :o :o ...still, his forehand and serve are still funky....

Iván
10-27-2010, 04:03 PM
if okek can serve well this week he has a chance you know, this tournament always throws up boy wonder performances.

Riosreigned
10-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Dolgo can win the tournament. Why do some people keep saying he's a match fixer? What is the evidence? most of the suspects do seem to come from those Soviet countries (Davydenko, Labadze)

Sapeod
10-27-2010, 06:16 PM
He BETTER NOT be a fixer...I hate fixers.....I HATE THEM...fixers should be banned from the sport for good, as should tankers, dopers, cheaters and fakers.....

Iván
10-27-2010, 06:20 PM
i dont think he is a fixer because he has won many of the matches the odds drifts suggested he would lose.

Helevorn
10-27-2010, 06:43 PM
He BETTER NOT be a fixer...I hate fixers.....I HATE THEM...fixers should be banned from the sport for good, as should tankers, dopers, cheaters and fakers.....

I don't really think he's a fixer, he has just started his tennis career and I don't think he's so stupid to risk to be fined or banned for fixing reasons while he's still 21 years old

players like di mauro fix matches 'cos they have no chances to crack the top-100, and doing such things they are well paid without any regards about their ridiculous career

FormerRafaFan
10-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Nooo.. Fabio! :( :hug:

FormerRafaFan
10-27-2010, 10:29 PM
expected? Nevertheless Fognini is a greater fighter than Dolgo :)

Dolgo is bad for the sport. Everytime he winns tennis dies a bit more.

Sad pathetic fixer.

Helevorn
10-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Dolgo is bad for the sport. Everytime he winns tennis dies a bit more.

Sad pathetic fixer.

he still destroyed your #(16) in the signature some days ago :rolleyes:

Filo V.
10-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Completely expected result. Fabio is coming off winning the Santiago challenger on clay in Chile so a win here was very unlikely. 0 aces and 7 DFs for Fabio. Good serving for Dolgo with 10 aces and 65% serve percentage. These courts are slow, and that will be to his advantage. Has a decent draw for a SF, so we'll see what happens. Congrats to him on the victory here.

fast_clay
10-28-2010, 12:24 AM
be good to see this guy rack up some points here in silly season... wont at all mind seeing him play through next year...

.-Federers_Mate-.
10-28-2010, 04:32 AM
Why isnt Dolgo playing on the wta tour?. Two of the ugliest players on tour mugging it out in Russia, and im not impressed. Both are a disgrace to the tour, both in their games and looks.

Pirao666
10-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Whay are some of you calling Dolgo a fixer, isn't that trolling?

philosophicalarf
10-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Whay are some of you calling Dolgo a fixer, isn't that trolling?

I really like watching him, but he's well-earned that rep.

Jacques_Ukraine
10-28-2010, 11:51 AM
These courts are slow, and that will be to his advantage.

Regarding the surface. From Dolgo's interview after match (in Russian):
«Весь матч проходил довольно нервно, потому что здесь очень своеобразное покрытие. Играю на нем уже четвертый день, но, по сути, так и не привык. Приходилось больше играть тактически, чем за счет скоростей и ударов.

Свойства у покрытия немного странные – плоский удар отскакивает довольно медленно, удар с вращением отскакивает высоко и замедляется, небыстрые мячи тормозятся, резаные же, наоборот, отскакивают с высокой скоростью. Отскоки все время разные, ритма никакого нет, приходится каждый раз играть по ситуации, как получится.

Фоньини ничего особенного не показал, что заставляло бы меня ошибаться. Я сам наделал очень много невынужденных из-за непривычного покрытия, и старался просто играть так, чтобы ему было неудобно. В важные моменты я смог сыграть лучше»

And my translation:
"All match went rather nervously due to very specific surface. I am playing on it the fourth day already, but still not adapted to it in fact. It was needed to play more tactically than for account of speed and hits.
The surface properties are a little strange: flat hit bounces pretty slow, spin hit bounces highly and become slower, slow balls decelerate, but slices rebound with high speed. The bounces are different all time, the rhythm is absent. It's needed to play depending on the situation, without any plan, like a shot in the dark.
Fognini didn't show anything to make me to do errors. I did very many unforced errors myself due to this unusual surface and simply tried to play uncomfortably for Fabio. And during important moments I could play better"