Champion Boxer calls Rafa "his most admired person" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Champion Boxer calls Rafa "his most admired person"

Riosreigned
09-24-2010, 04:22 PM
The accolades for Rafa Nadal are just something extraordinary, they keep outdoing themselves. A world champion boxer named Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez, who happens to be the Middleweight world champion, said Rafa Nadal is the person he most admires...

Check it out:

http://tennis-prose.com/articles/boxing-champion-sergio-martinez-calls-nadal-his-most-admired-person/

Riosreigned
09-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Sorry my bad. Thought this was pretty cool news, you don't often hear a boxer giving major props to a tennis player. Rafa is in a class of his own.

r2473
09-24-2010, 04:30 PM
This dude on the bus this morning said that said that he sort of likes Rafa.

I'll post updates after my ride home tonight.

Start da Game
09-24-2010, 04:32 PM
a ferocious boxer inspired from a tennis player........can it get any better than this?

star
09-24-2010, 04:33 PM
This dude on the bus this morning said that said that he sort of likes Rafa.

I'll post updates after my ride home tonight.

Thanks. :kiss:

And if you can get quotes from your fellow workers or any celebrities, I'd appreciate that too. I always like to hear compliments about Rafa. :) :)

Everko
09-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Shows Rafa's stature in the sports world now

Raferminator
09-24-2010, 04:50 PM
I know one star athelete that is not dishing out the accolades for Rafa: Rafael Nadal. He is far too humble:

New King of Tennis Retains his Modesty
http://betting.gamingsupermarket.com/news/5768/new-king-of-tennis-retains-his-modesty

As these two spectacular players are still opposing one another, it has become of keen spectator interest to establish who is actually 'better', however, the humble Spanish champion is keeping his mind on the game and his feet firmly on the ground.

"It's very far. For me, it's too far to think about that.” said Nadal when asked of the prospect of surpassing Federer's 16 titles.

"I think talk about if I am better or worse than Roger is stupid."

:bowdown:

Filo V.
09-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Sergio Martinez is a balla', so this is a positive endorsement of Rafa. Rafa is worldwide famous and beloved. Fedal are doing so much for tennis globally that we all really take them for granted. Who wouldn't admire Rafa's determination, focus, humbleness and maturity. Rafa must be flattered.

Riosreigned
09-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Rafa might actually be the #1 overall global sports champion in all of sports right now, he's ahead of Woods, Federer, Pacquiao, Mayweather, Lebron James, Ronaldo, might have to give it up to Nadal.

star
09-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Rafa might actually be the #1 overall global sports champion in all of sports right now, he's ahead of Woods, Federer, Pacquiao, Mayweather, Lebron James, Ronaldo, might have to give it up to Nadal.

Do you really think so?

I don't think tennis carries that much weight world wide, does it? But then again, I have no idea what sports figure would be a world wide icon.

r2473
09-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Rafa might actually be the #1 overall global sports champion in all of sports right now

That would be Joey Chestnut

Riosreigned
09-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Can't think of anyone above Nadal right now in terms of most universally respected beloved great champion.

Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Wladimir Klitschko, Serena Williams, Lionel Messi, Peyton Manning, Tom BRady - all no...I think you gotta give the #1 sports champ hero to Rafa. He transcends tennis. Even a champion boxer named Sergio Martinez, and Pete Sampras, Federer, are taking their hats off to him.

Riosreigned
09-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Mug thread, belongs in the Nadal forum :o

Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Cristiano Ronaldo and Leo Messi are much more popular than Nadal. Tennis is really not that big globally as you might think.

Maybe you are right, but they are more respected for being great very successful athletes, Nadal is respected for being a great successful athlete and even more so for being a total class champion.

Pirata.
09-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Maybe you are right, but they are more respected for being great very successful athletes, Nadal is respected for being a great successful athlete and even more so for being a total class champion.

And someone like Messi is not?

Riosreigned
09-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Here in America I know nothing about Messi except that he is on Argentina's soccer team and plays somewhere in Italy. He is not a popular figure here in America at all. Is he a top sportsman like Nadal is?

Seville
09-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Messi plays in Spain (for F.C. Barcelona).

According to the number of Internet references, Rafa is the 3rd most popular sportman in the world. The first position is for footballer David Beckham and the second one for footballer Cristiano Ronaldo.
http://www.estilohoy.com/notas/16298-Rafa-Nadal,-s%C3%BAper-popular-