Davis Cup relegation tie: Australia v Belgium 2-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup relegation tie: Australia v Belgium 2-3

Filo V.
09-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Hewitt(AUS) def. Bemelmans(BEL) 7-6(4) 7-5 2-6 6-4

O. Rochus(BEL) def. Ball(AUS) 6-4 6-4 7-6(5)

Hewitt/Hanley(AUS) def. O.Rochus/R. Bemelmans(BEL) 6-1 6-2 6-4

O. Rochus(BEL) def. P. Luczak(AUS) 7-6(8) 6-4 6-7(0) 7-6(2)

S. Darcis(BEL) def. C. Ball(AUS) 7-6(4) 6-3 6-4

Horatio Caine
09-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Interesting how Hewitt struggled so much with Bemelmans. Belgium must surely fancy their chances of forcing a live 5th rubber...

Filo V.
09-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Lleyton said he was rusty from not playing many matches and he got fatigued by the end of the match but was able to pull it out. Bemelmans has a big serve so that score isn't surprising. Lleyton has a good H2H and is a good match-up with Olli, so Belgium needs to win the doubles to have a true chance I believe.

Darcis, who is possibly the most injury prone player in the game, has a partially torn rotator cuff and may or may not be available for the doubles tie.

Horatio Caine
09-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Darcis surely won't be playing. It doesn't really change Belgium's chances in the doubles anyway, unless Desein/Bemelmans have useful credentials that I don't know about. Certainly Rochus isn't a strong doubles player.

If Hewitt plays well he can punish Rochus all day, yes...but if he is rusty and lethargic he'll be vulnerable, whether he has a dominant head-to-head or not.

Filo V.
09-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Darcis surely won't be playing. It doesn't really change Belgium's chances in the doubles anyway, unless Desein/Bemelmans have useful credentials that I don't know about. Certainly Rochus isn't a strong doubles player.

If Hewitt plays well he can punish Rochus all day, yes...but if he is rusty and lethargic he'll be vulnerable, whether he has a dominant head-to-head or not.

As far as I read, Bemelmans will play the doubles if Darcis can't go. Steve actually is a decent doubles player. Bemelmans has a big serve and OK volleys, Olli is a good mover and decent volleyer also, although he doesn't have true doubles instincts. They actually are a decent team, IMO. I don't know about Hewitt/Hanley, I didn't think Hanley was that good at this point and Lleyton is likely still tired. I'm guessing he'll still play, and yes Australia would be the heavy favorite.

You are right about Lleyton v Rochus though, if Rusty is rusty, then Olli will take advantage of that. But I cannot see Lleyton losing that, not at home. If he's fit enough to give his all I think he wins. If it comes down to a fifth rubber things will get interesting so it's going to be a very important doubles point tomorrow.

JMG
09-17-2010, 02:52 PM

Rochus is a Slam winner in doubles.

JMG
09-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Malisse and Norman didn't want to play or are injured? Those two and I think even Vliegen would have been a help in doubles.

Filo V.
09-17-2010, 03:00 PM
I didn't know Olli was a slam winner in doubles, but I have seen him play doubles and he's good for a singles player. Moves well around the net, decent volleys, decent positioning, it's just obvious he's not a doubles player. But he's a pretty good doubles players, and Bemelmans is also pretty good so together they are a decent team. I can see them beating the Aussie pair but they are certainly the big underdog and I don't expect it.

Drikke
09-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Malisse and Norman didn't want to play or are injured? Those two and I think even Vliegen would have been a help in doubles.

Didn't want to play, Malisse for personal reasons and Norman because he's still pissed of for the NON-selection last tie.

Rochus/Bemelmans will be a very interesting pair. Rochus surely is a very good doubles player and he's in a very good shape and he loves this fast surface. For the first time in 2 years I think Belgium has a good shot to win against a favourite opponent, but still Australia is the favorite.

philosophicalarf
09-17-2010, 03:41 PM
The choice of a really fast surface is a little odd no? For Oli the faster the better with that low, flat ball of his, and on a slower high-bounce court he'd be killed by Ball's service angles.

Filo V.
09-17-2010, 03:52 PM
I doubt they gave even one thought of consideration to anyone but Hewitt in the choice of surface.

Voo de Mar
09-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Ball served 8 aces against Rochus reaching a new low :help:

Filo V.
09-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Hanley/Hewitt put a smackdown in the doubles, and now Lleyton is in position to send Australia back in the world group for the first time since 2007 with a victory over Rochus in first reverse rubber.

Angle Queen
09-18-2010, 09:42 PM
If [Hewitt's] fit enough to give his all I think he wins.It doesn't matter if Lleyton is fit enough. It's Davis Cup. He'll give it everything he's got. Regardless. :)

Nice to see the Aussies pull out the doubles rubber, though. They're always so much more fun back in the World Group.

Filo V.
09-18-2010, 10:01 PM
It doesn't matter if Lleyton is fit enough. It's Davis Cup. He'll give it everything he's got. Regardless. :)

Nice to see the Aussies pull out the doubles rubber, though. They're always so much more fun back in the World Group.

That's very true about Lleyton. When it comes to playing for his country, rain sleet or snow, he'll be there giving it his all. That's why I like Lleyton, he doesn't make excuses and always has the effort.

I would also enjoy Australia in the world group so hopefully Lleyton can beat Olli, it would mean so much for him I'm sure and also could spur better things in his personal career.

bad gambler
09-19-2010, 02:00 AM
Hewitt out of the reverse singles. Luczak playing Rochus now

cmon Pete!!

Filo V.
09-19-2010, 02:35 AM
Lleyton Hewitt forced to withdraw from the tie due to a hand injury:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/09/19/3015748.htm?site=sport&section=tennis

Must be a really serious hand issue if he withdrew because of it. Luczak I don't think is going to beat Rochus, and if he doesn't, things will get very interesting. Darcis could be available, and if he is, then I'd put Belgium as the favorite to advance. If Ball plays Bemelmans then I think Ball would be the slight favorite.

Things have just taken a major turn in Cairns. I feel so bad for Lleyton, he must be gutted.

Rocketsfall82
09-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Ball served 8 aces against Rochus reaching a new low :help:

He served 22 aces, 8 of them in the third set.

krystlel
09-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Really long rain delay today.

Voo de Mar
09-19-2010, 12:11 PM
He served 22 aces, 8 of them in the third set.

That's right. When I looked on the Davis Cup scoreboard, 8 aces appeared because 3rd set was visible.

Filo V.
09-20-2010, 12:47 PM
After a rain delayed Sunday, Belgium remains in the world group after winning both reverse singles Monday. Olli had like 12 aces in his match with Luczak, you'll never see that again. Darcis recovered from his shoulder soreness to give Belgium the fifth rubber.

Sad that Australia couldn't put their best foot forward with Lleyton being out injured (he's out for 3-4 weeks). Ball had two relatively poor performances. Good luck next year, Australia, congrats to the Belgians.

Voo de Mar
09-20-2010, 12:52 PM
If American tennis declines what to say about the other historical tennis power - Australia :tape:

TennisOnWood
09-20-2010, 12:54 PM
I can't believe this happen :eek:

Filo V.
09-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Australia, Brazil, Italy, these teams with long D.C. absences will never have better shots to make it than they did this week. I guess it's just bad fate, to have your #1 player, one of the best Davis Cup guys around, Hewitt, get injured again right before the close out rubber with Rochus. Feel terrible for the Aussies.

The good thing for them and other teams are, India, Romania, Belgium, Austria, these teams are very beatable, so they'll keep having chances as long as they can get to this stage.

CooCooCachoo
09-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Really shameful loss for Ball against Darcis, in straight sets.

tnosugar
09-20-2010, 03:46 PM
woah. Aussies not getting back anytime soon, I reckon...

StevoTG
09-20-2010, 11:17 PM
I support the Aus Davis cup team and was hoping they'd be back in the world group. But, in the cold light of day, Australia don't have much of a claim to be there. To win a tie or stay in the world group they would likely be relying on Lleyton to win all 3 rubbers. I'm a fan of Luczak, but he doesn't have any real results off of clay and slower hard courts and Ball is still unreliable though showing signs of improving. Guccione is struggling a bit at present. There are some solid youngsters coming through but Lleyton will probably be gone by the time they get into the team. The team just isn't strong enough for the world group.

Also, I guess this will mean that Lleyton will miss Rome next year if the calender has been altered, after missing the Madrid Masters to play in a zonal tie this year.

jrm
09-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Is there any good AUS prospect for the future???