rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

rafa wins the 'calendar slam' in 2011!

anticaria
09-16-2010, 02:18 PM
if a year ago, someone had suggested rafa would win majors on all 3 surfaces in 2010, many of us would've scratched our heads in disbelief.. and even after rafa's heartbreaking loss to murray at the aussie open this year, the notion of rafa suddenly going on to win the remaining 3 majors seemed still out of the question..

and yet, that's exactly what rafa managed to do..

and now that rafa's healthy and has fully regained his confidence once again and put his annus horribilis of 2009 (as well as the nearly year-long slump that followed it) behind him, can anyone really doubt 2011 will finally be rafa's calendar slam year?

a healthy, and hence a confident rafa simply cannot be derailed at the majors at this rate, regardless of surface.. murray's never done it, the djoker's never done it, delpo's never done it, roger did it only twice during his prime ('06 and '07 wimbledon finals) but since then, nada.. and at the current rate of roger's decline, i seriously doubt the swiss will be the one to derail rafa next year at the majors..

the mallorcan with the 'golden' career slam touch will enter the record books in a huge way next year by becoming the first man to win all 4 majors on 3 different surfaces (clay, grass and hc) in the same calendar year..

2009 served as the catalyst to take rafa's game to a whole new level of all-surface mastery and confidence and that level has not been matched by anyone at the majors so far this year..

that said, is there anyone out there who still doubts rafa can pull off the historic 'calendar slam' feat next year? if so, how so?

star
09-16-2010, 02:25 PM
if a year ago, someone had suggested rafa would win majors on all 3 surfaces in 2010, many of us would've scratched our heads in disbelief.. and even after rafa's heartbreaking loss to murray at the aussie open this year, the notion of rafa suddenly going on to win the remaining 3 majors seemed still out of the question..

and now that rafa's healthy and has fully regained his confidence once again and put his annus horribilis of 2009 (as well as the nearly year-long slump that followed it) behind him, can anyone really doubt 2011 will finally be rafa's calendar slam year?

a healthy, and hence a confident rafa simply cannot be derailed at the majors at this rate, regardless of surface.. murray's never done it, the djoker's never done it, delpo's never done it, roger did it only twice during his prime ('06 and '07 wimbledon finals) but since then, nada.. and at the current rate of roger's decline, i seriously doubt the swiss will be the one to derail rafa next year at the majors..

the mallorcan with the 'golden' career slam touch will enter the record books in a huge way next year by becoming the first man to win all 4 majors on 3 different surfaces (clay, grass and hc) in the same calendar year..

2009 served as the catalyst to take rafa's game to a whole new level of all-surface mastery and confidence and that level has not been matched by anyone at the majors so far this year..

that said, is there anyone out there who still doubts rafa can pull off the historic 'calendar slam' feat next year? if so, how so?

I doubt it.

Federer fans (and the media) thought at one time that Federer could win the Grand Slam rather easily since he was racking up three slams a year, and it did seem that way, but there is always something out there to derail the process. For Federer it was the hurdle of RG. For Rafa it will probably be something we don't foresee now.

The odds are against it.

And it pains me to see Nadal fans doing this sort of crappy predicting of future glory. Nothing is a given in tennis.

MalwareDie
09-16-2010, 02:42 PM
And it pains me to see Nadal fans doing this sort of crappy predicting of future glory. Nothing is a given in tennis.

anticaria isn't a typical fan. He's a troll.

Topspindoctor
09-16-2010, 02:47 PM
I think CYGS will never be achieved in open era.

Everko
09-16-2010, 02:49 PM

I agree. If anyone can do it its Rafa, he has already established his elite play on all surfaces, but its just too hard to do.

MalwareDie
09-16-2010, 02:50 PM

I agree. If anyone can do it its Rafa, he has already established his elite play on all surfaces, but its just too hard to do.

:retard: Rod Laver already did it.

Everko
09-16-2010, 02:52 PM

it hasn't been done in over 40 years. plus he said open era:retard:

nadal_slam_king
09-16-2010, 02:52 PM
6 slams in a row will do.

RG 2010
WIM 2010
USO 2010
AO 2011
RG 2011
WIM 2011

US Open is not so important.

Topspindoctor
09-16-2010, 02:56 PM
6 slams in a row will do.

RG 2010
WIM 2010
USO 2010
AO 2011
RG 2011
WIM 2011

US Open is not so important.

Why is USO not important? I would prefer another USO over another AO.

nadal_slam_king
09-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Why is USO not important? I would prefer another USO over another AO.

LOL I wouldn't. Also, Rafa desperately needs the AO 11 to get THE RAFA SLAM. Definitely most important slam of the year :yeah:

emotion
09-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Serena Slam maybe, Calendar, I doubt it. I don't see another USO

nadal_slam_king
09-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Serena Slam maybe, Calendar, I doubt it. I don't see another USO

AO is most important slam of 2011, so he gets RAFA SLAM. And after that the main aim should be RG/WIM cos they're simply his 2 favorite slams. USO is just a bonus, not significant. Sure he would like the Calendar Year GS but really he's already proven enough at that point with 6 straight slams. No drama if he loses USO.

Priam
09-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Let him win AO first! Even that isn't guaranteed.

tyruk14
09-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Rod Laver did accomplish it in the open era.

nadal_slam_king
09-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Let him win AO first! Even that isn't guaranteed.

I agree, that's for sure a life-changing slam, it would shock the world to win 4 straight slams. I say he's got a good chance of cruising through that. Hasn't dropped many sets there in recent times. 2009 didn't lose a set before the semis. 2010 had some comfortable wins before Murray.

Ackms421
09-16-2010, 03:59 PM
He did accomplish it in the open era, 1969. But, he didn't do it on three different surfaces. So, this would be the first genuine calender slam on hard, grass, and clay. He's a long way from doing it though. I don't think it's all that likely.

I do think it's more likely than not, though, that he'll win the AO 2011. That would give him the non-calendar slam which is just as significant as the calender slam.

tennishero
09-16-2010, 04:00 PM
i'd like to see rod laver win a slam in this era.

nadal_slam_king
09-16-2010, 04:01 PM
I'd like to see Laver hand Rafa the AO 2011 trophy, that'd be massive moment, and especially if Federer is there.

Topspindoctor
09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
I'd like to see Laver hand Rafa the AO 2011 trophy, that'd be massive moment, and especially if Federer is there.

Federer would probably spoil the moment by crying again :o

Priam
09-16-2010, 04:06 PM

I doubt it. Rocket lives in the States now and he's getting up there in years. Great accomplishment for Nadal if he does it though. And if the post-USO threads on gm are any indication, there should be a spirited discussion whether or not the "Rafa Slam" is greater or less than Rocket's '69 CYGS.

Henry Chinaski
09-16-2010, 04:38 PM

why would Fed be there make a difference?

So spiteful fanboys could see his face rubbed in it?

r2473
09-16-2010, 04:57 PM
why would Fed be there make a difference?

So spiteful fanboys could see his face rubbed in it?

I think the guy wants to see Laver handing Rafa the finalist trophy and handing Rog the champion's trophy.

That's how I read it.

anticaria
09-16-2010, 09:50 PM
I doubt it.

Federer fans (and the media) thought at one time that Federer could win the Grand Slam rather easily since he was racking up three slams a year, and it did seem that way, but there is always something out there to derail the process. For Federer it was the hurdle of RG. For Rafa it will probably be something we don't foresee now.

it wasn't r garros that was the hurdle for roger.. it was rafa who was the hurdle.. roger made 4-consecutive finals in paris ('06-'09) and only won it once the actual hurdle (rafa) was removed from his path..

so again, it wasn't anything to do per se with roland garros as the swiss' remarkable consistency in reaching the final there clearly shows.. instead, it was the guy he faced from '05-'08 who became his hurdle..

anticaria
09-16-2010, 10:04 PM

laver only did it on 2 surfaces: grass and clay, as the us open and the aussie open were still played on grass in '69.. if rafa does it next year, and i believe he likely will, he'll have done it on 3 surfaces: clay, grass and hc..

star
09-16-2010, 11:56 PM
it wasn't r garros that was the hurdle for roger.. it was rafa who was the hurdle.. roger made 4-consecutive finals in paris ('06-'09) and only won it once the actual hurdle (rafa) was removed from his path..

so again, it wasn't anything to do per se with roland garros as the swiss' remarkable consistency in reaching the final there clearly shows.. instead, it was the guy he faced from '05-'08 who became his hurdle..

In 05, Kuerten beat him.

allpro
09-17-2010, 01:03 AM

:haha:

MalwareDie
09-17-2010, 01:13 AM
In 05, Kuerten beat him.

No, Kuerten beat Federer in 04.

LoveFifteen
09-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Rod Laver did accomplish the CYGS in the Open Era, and he surely would have done it more than once if they hadn't banned pros.

Johnny Groove
09-17-2010, 02:02 AM
Highly unlikely.

As for whether or not the theoretical "Rafa slam" would be greater than Laver's calendar slam?

I dunno.

Rafa is the GOAT
10-15-2010, 08:00 PM
I think, no, I know that Rafa will win all the 4 majors in 2011. If Rafa presents at 100% and does not get any injuries he will get the calenderslam in 2011. Fil free to say wath you think
PS: he will also win 4 masters 1000: Indian Wells, Monte Carlo, Rome and Madrid
Vamos Rafa

Rafa is the GOAT
10-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Rafa will win the calenderslam
he will beat
Djokovic in Ao
Delpotro in Fo
Murray in SW19
Federer in UO
Vamos Rafa

Fujee
10-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Rod completed the only open era CYGS in 1969 you absolute tools. Shows the ignorance of these posters, can't look before 2005....FOOLS

emotion
10-15-2010, 08:37 PM
We will river

Haasi
10-15-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm reading those threads since roger won the AO, then Novak, then Rafa...
You can't even predict what's gonna happen tomorrow.

Filo V.
10-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Can never say never, but the chances of it happening aren't high. But we cannot predict the future, so who knows?

Pirata.
10-15-2010, 10:42 PM

He did accomplish it in the open era, 1969. But, he didn't do it on three different surfaces. So, this would be the first genuine calender slam on hard, grass, and clay. He's a long way from doing it though. I don't think it's all that likely.

laver only did it on 2 surfaces: grass and clay, as the us open and the aussie open were still played on grass in '69.. if rafa does it next year, and i believe he likely will, he'll have done it on 3 surfaces: clay, grass and hc..

:retard:

Rafatards now discounting Rod Laver's CYGS because it wasn't on different surfaces as if that was at all his fault.

Lalitha
10-16-2010, 12:28 AM
The man himself thinks its impossible. :shrug:

http://www.rafaelnadal.com/content/rafa-grand-slam-impossible

Lalitha
10-16-2010, 12:49 AM
That being said, it would be nice if someone does it in 2012, along with the olympic gold for Golden Slam. :p

Mjau!
10-16-2010, 12:52 AM
The man himself thinks its impossible. :shrug:

http://www.rafaelnadal.com/content/rafa-grand-slam-impossible

:rolleyes: That's because he's faux... how ironic that Nadal prefers "natural" surfaces... :o

.-Federers_Mate-.
10-16-2010, 12:56 AM
what a stupid thread. He just lost to Jurgen Melzer ffs. He isnt winning anything til the Clay season next year. God one fluke year full of Bullshit wins and controversies and you get these kind of threads :rolleyes:

The only person who has a chance to do this next year is Roger Federer.

Seingeist
10-16-2010, 01:19 AM
what a stupid thread. He just lost to Jurgen Melzer ffs. He isnt winning anything til the Clay season next year. God one fluke year full of Bullshit wins and controversies and you get these kind of threads :rolleyes:

Um, yeah, I don't really think that Fed is going to win a calendar slam next year. :p

.-Federers_Mate-.
10-16-2010, 01:30 AM
Um, yeah, I don't really think that Fed is going to win a calendar slam next year. :p

http://popbytes.com/img/shut-up-mel-gibson-1.jpg

Topspindoctor
10-16-2010, 01:48 AM

Federer isn't getting close to a final in Paris ever again. Keep dreaming, Fedtard. Old man is way past his prime, his clay tennis is top 10 at best.

jcadam2003
10-16-2010, 02:02 AM

3 slams in 3 months on 3 different surfaces might never happen again! Please just let Rafa and his fans enjoy this incredible accomplishment of 2010. If he can win Australia next year, that would be phenominal. But it is ridiculous to expect 4 slams from Rafa next year. These are great times for Rafa and his fans, it is not worth any mind space thinking about a calendar grand slam in 2011.

RedHotRafa
10-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Nadal himself thinks its impossible but he'd the most modest person ever. You don't know. He could have one 3/4 in 2009 but injury plagued him. He would have owned 2009 FO and hardfought Wimby depending on his grass game, which we never saw in 2009. US Open would have probably gone same with JMDP def Fed

HKz
10-16-2010, 06:03 AM

Wow, how ignorant can you be? Is 1969 NOT Open Era?

kronus12
10-16-2010, 06:15 AM
haha laughing at all the delusional post about rafa will do this and rafa will do that, my opinion is that 2011 will be djoker year, his form of late is amazing and his return serve are exceptional if he keeps up this form for next year Djoke will be holding the AO tropy and many more, you can quote me on that.

Rafa is the GOAT
10-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Vamos Rafa you will win the calender slam in 2011

careergrandslam
10-16-2010, 08:46 AM
2011 i want rafa to be fit and healthy, if he can do that, then anything is possible.
i will be happy with whatever he wins next year.

finishingmove
10-16-2010, 08:47 AM
vamos vamos

Blackbriar
10-16-2010, 11:17 AM
when Nadal starts to lose, Rafatards starts posting about next year's slam. no-life

Topspindoctor
10-16-2010, 12:10 PM
when Nadal starts to lose, Rafatards starts posting about next year's slam. no-life

Because slams is what counts :retard:

Will people remember Federer's second round loss to Benneteau in 2009 Paris masters? Hell, no. They will remember the 2 slams he won.

Will people remember Nadal lost to Melzer in Shanghai? Hell, no. They will remember his clay season and 3 slams he won.

Nobody gives a shit about non slam masters events unless a player has a record number of them, which is Nadal anyway, so spare the dumb comments, Nadal is not going to win all the time, certainly not after a year he's had on his worst surface when he lacks motivation. The anti-Nadal trolls are seriously grasping for straws recently, it's pathetic :o

Certinfy
10-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Vamos Rafa! At least this way Federer won't add to his slam count!

BigJohn
10-16-2010, 04:04 PM
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1428/loldv2.png

Benny_Maths
10-16-2010, 04:11 PM
There are 4 slams in a year and multiples of 10 are always 'nice and neat' looking numbers. 16 + 4 = 20. ;):D

BlueSwan
10-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I think he CAN do it, but the odds are against it. Look at it this way: Even if we make RG11 a 95% certainly, AO11 a 85% certainty, Wimbledon a 75% certainty and US Open a 60% certainty, that adds up to a 36% chance of winning them all. So even with percentages WAY above what's reasonable (except for RG) he's still twice as likely to not complete the CYGS as he is not to do it.

If anyone can do it, it's him. However, completing a CYGS would mean Nadal winning 7 slams in a row, which is just ridiculous, and would probably catapult him to undisputed GOAT status.

born_on_clay
10-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Rafa said by himself it's impossible :shrug:

Orka_n
10-16-2010, 09:47 PM
No such thing as Nadal winning the calendar slam.

Jimnik
10-16-2010, 10:14 PM
It's called The Grand Slam, not the calendar slam.

Historically each major is a Slam and all 4 in the same year are a Grand Slam.

Jimnik
10-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Actually, before 1988 AO was played in December. So Rafa could have still been on for an official Grand Slam.

Serena would have had one too.

Rafa is the GOAT
11-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I know that it is to early to talk about it. Its actualy not even time to talk about the AO. But I think that Rafa has a big chance to win all the slams in 2011. If he continius to scheulde his calennder good so he gets no injuries and gets no tired and plays at 100% when it realy mathers (like in slams finals or other importent moments)then I think that he has a big chance to win all the slams in 2011. Fill free to say what you thinks
Vamos!!!!

Rafa is the GOAT
11-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Here is what I think of Rafa chances
http://oi55.tinypic.com/24g372q.jpg

Orka_n
11-09-2010, 12:45 PM
This has to be a Fedtard having fun.

Rafa is the GOAT
11-09-2010, 12:48 PM
:(This has to be a Fedtard having fun.

Beleef it or not
This post its from Rafa biggest fan in the world
I can proof it to you if you want to!:(

born_on_clay
11-09-2010, 01:00 PM

It would be awesome to see it happening :devil::)

11-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Rafa has the talent to do it for sure, but sadly his body is already giving out on him :sad: So no I don't think he can, but I would be very happy if he could prove me wrong :D

Persimmon
11-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Rafa will only win 1 slam in 2011.

I know that it is to early to talk about it. Its actualy not even time to talk about the AO. But I think that Rafa has a big chance to win all the slams in 2011. If he continius to scheulde his calennder good so he gets no injuries and gets no tired and plays at 100% when it realy mathers (like in slams finals or other importent moments)then I think that he has a big chance to win all the slams in 2011. Fill free to say what you thinks
Vamos!!!!

http://passionweiss.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/idiot.gif

bokehlicious
11-09-2010, 02:35 PM
This has to be a Fedtard having fun.

Most probably... as are topspindoctor, rafa_slam_king and all the recent Rafa trolls polluting GM...

Persimmon
11-09-2010, 02:39 PM
topspindoctor is a Rafa fan.

rafa_slam_king and Rafa is the GOAT are obviously Fed fans trolling.

Start da Game
11-09-2010, 02:43 PM

these posts clearly show the difference between rafa fans and fed fans.......the former live in reality while the majority of the latter are just blind lovers of a player but not the game of tennis in whole.......that diminishes their analytical ability over the game drastically which is clearly in display on a daily basis here in MTF.......

nadal fans are only hopeful about it to happen but not blindly in belief that it's going to happen.......i will join them and agree that the task is out of reach for everyone but if anyone has a chance it must be nadal for obvious reasons........

nadal has already accomplished something which everyone else failed to achieve i.e., winning slams on all 3 major surfaces in the same calender year.......now that itself is huge and i for one am not too interested in the calender slam........

i just want to see him win the greatest prizes in tennis by a mile, french open and wimbledon titles for the next 3 years........

bokehlicious
11-09-2010, 02:45 PM
these posts clearly show the difference between rafa fans and fed fans.......the former live in reality while the majority of the latter are just blind lovers of a player but not the game of tennis in whole.......that diminishes their analytical ability over the game drastically which is clearly in display on a daily basis here in MTF.......

nadal fans are only hopeful about it to happen but not blindly in belief that it's going to happen.......i will join them and agree that the task is out of reach for everyone but if anyone has a chance it must be nadal for obvious reasons........

nadal has already accomplished something which everyone else failed to achieve i.e., winning slams on all 3 major surfaces in the same calender year.......now that itself is huge and i for one am not too interested in the calender slam........

i just want to see him win the greatest prizes in tennis by a mile, french open and wimbledon titles for the next 3 years........

What a load of bullshit once again... :baby: :zzz: :zzz:

MalwareDie
11-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Start da Game doesn't even know that the CYGS has already been achieved in the Open Era. He is spending too much time staring lovingly at his Nadal poster.

Everko
11-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Start da Game doesn't even know that the CYGS has alredy been achieved in the Open Era. He is spending too much time staring lovingly at his Nadal poster.

take some medicine before you vomit up more nonsense. He clearly stated why Nadal; fans in general are more realistic than Federer fans. I have seen so many Federer fans blind their eyes and deaf their ears wheneveer someone suggests that Nadal can overtake Federer for most slam wins.

I do not think nadal will win the CYGS. I hoep he can but it is too hard to accomplish today.

But he has a better chance than Federer ever did, because Federer was a clown on clay then when he got better on the surface clay warrior Rafa came around and Federer could not beta him to save Bern.

Start da Game
11-09-2010, 02:59 PM
What a load of bullshit once again... :baby: :zzz: :zzz:

........ (http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9710/spartakick.jpg)

Start da Game
11-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Start da Game doesn't even know that the CYGS has already been achieved in the Open Era. He is spending too much time staring lovingly at his Nadal poster.

stop licking that swiss banana and learn to read.......it's not for nothing that i call clowns like you blind lovers, it's proven once more that you are blind........

bokehlicious
11-09-2010, 03:05 PM
He clearly stated why Nadal; fans in general are more realistic than Federer fans. I have seen so many Federer fans blind their eyes and deaf their ears wheneveer someone suggests that Nadal can overtake Federer for most slam wins.

Did the Fed fans start threads such as "Federer will win the calendar slam in 2011"? no. Did the Fed fans claim that he would have the slam record when he only held 9 of them? No...

Rafatards are the realistic ones, indeed :yeah:

:retard:

Singularity
11-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Why is half the time on this forum spent talking about the "fans" of players, rather than the players themselves? As if the most significant fact about someone is the tennis player they support, from which you're to determine everything from their intelligence to their maturity.

Implicit is the assumption that there must be something wrong with fans of a player you don't like; eg. the message in this thread: 'if you're a Fed fan you're blind or deluded'. It's the same stupid tribalist BS seen everywhere, only on this forum it's Fed fans vs Nadal fans. If this was a gaming forum, instead, it would be 360 fans vs PS3 fans.

Gets very tiresome.

Start da Game
11-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Why is half the time on this forum spent talking about the "fans" of players, rather than the players themselves? As if the most significant fact about someone is the tennis player they support, from which you're to determine everything from their intelligence to their maturity.

Implicit is the assumption that there must be something wrong with fans of a player you don't like; eg. the message in this thread: 'if you're a Fed fan you're blind or deluded'. It's the same stupid tribalist BS seen everywhere, only on this forum it's Fed fans vs Nadal fans. If this was a gaming forum, instead, it would be 360 fans vs PS3 fans.

Gets very tiresome.

then go follow chess, fed loving hypocrite.......

Singularity
11-09-2010, 05:11 PM
You're right; I guess it's too much to ask fans of competing players to respect each other. Enjoy the Nadal vs. Federer wars.

RedHotRafa
11-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Possible if injury free, but not probable. Look how close Fed came in 2006. The calendar glam will eventually be achieved again. I'd considered someone way better than Laver if they were able to do it. Laver played a different game in a different time. Competition level was nothing compared to today. In the future people will probably look back and say the same of Fed and Nadal

Rafa is the GOAT
11-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Nobody can stop Rafa if he is healty
Realy there will be no stop in Rafa in slams
If he continius to scheulde his calender good so he gets no injuries or gets tired
I will give him a big chance of winning the CYGS
Vamos!

Sonja1989
11-20-2010, 05:34 PM
I hope, but this is impossible.

SK-
11-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Impossible is nothing,but it will be very hard to do that :D

etc
11-20-2010, 05:42 PM
That's a lock. Next question please.