Is Djokovic The Next #1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Djokovic The Next #1

Clay Death
09-16-2010, 05:46 AM
is the great serbian slayer on track to occupy the throne once the clay warrior vacates it?

is he the next #1?

can you make a case for him? i am seeing the drive the hunger again. this loss at the open may do him a world of good. it will fuel his fire and his hunger. he has the movement and he has the game. all he needs is consistency and better fitness.

please discuss. the floor is at your disposal. all thoughts and comments are welcome.

thanks.

Mimi
09-16-2010, 06:35 AM
either him or Murray, i guess:cool:

nadal_slam_king
09-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Definitely Djokovic. Not Murray. Djokovic is better on hardcourt and clay. Murray is only better on grass (but not by much). Plus, Djokovic is more clutch in slams.

tennis2tennis
09-16-2010, 07:17 AM
is the great serbian slayer on track to occupy the throne once the clay warrior vacates it?

is he the next #1?

can you make a case for him? i am seeing the drive the hunger again. this loss at the open may do him a world of good. it will fuel his fire and his hunger. he has the movement and he has the game. all he needs is consistency and better fitness.

please discuss. the floor is at your disposal. all thoughts and comments are welcome.

thanks.

no because unlike roger and rafa he's incapable of defending titles! the no ingrediant for a no1 is consistency...nole blows hot and cold to much

DuMa
09-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Djokovic's got a good chance but his time pretty much coincides with Rafa's. theyre only a year apart in age and Djokovic could end up being the Roddick to Federer's Nadal. Although Joker has a better h2h record, he consistenly is coming up short in the slams when he had great forms to at least win a few more than his AO title. Once Fed starts dropping off majorly in his game, you'll see a make or break DJoker. because by that time, Djokovic will virtually have no excuse, no longer saying he cant make it past fed, of making the finals most of the time at the tournaments he plays at.

leng jai
09-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Out of all the players now who haven't been no one hes the most likely. Doesn't mean it will happen though.

ZaZoo)
09-16-2010, 08:12 AM
He does have a chance but he needs to improve more, get some better serve and consistency.

nadal_slam_king
09-16-2010, 08:33 AM
I don't think Djokovic will be number one ranked, but I'd say he has the best chance because he's more likely to win slams than Murray. But Murray is more likely to win Masters events, but it won't get him the top ranking. I think if Djokovic ever gets the number one ranking it'll be for like a couple of weeks and then it goes back to Rafa etc.

henke007
09-16-2010, 09:04 AM
http://i36.tinypic.com/2r5z12o.gif

Apophis
09-16-2010, 09:48 AM
It's not likely Nadal will stay #1 for more than 2-3 years consecutively since almost noone has done that in the past. By then Federer is probably no longer capable of getting to #1. A younger player will take over, and at this point Djokovic is the most likely candidate. But you never know which new young player will suddenly appear out of 'nothing' in 2 years time. Still i would bet on Djokovic reaching #1 at some point in his career.

Topspindoctor
09-16-2010, 09:49 AM
He will need to improve fitness drastically. Back to what it was in 2008.

ZaZoo)
09-16-2010, 09:52 AM

You know, that's kinda old by this point... :smash:

freeandlonely
09-16-2010, 10:02 AM
His chance is as high as Wozniaki - very likely

IMO

kronus12
09-16-2010, 10:04 AM
No my pick will be Del Potro, or Murray.

Sophocles
09-16-2010, 10:07 AM
I'd be surprised if he never makes Number One, but I don't see him holding it for a long time. Either it will alternate between him & Nadal & maybe Murray & Del Potro, or he'll briefly interrupt Nadal's reign, or, if Nadal's reign is short, he'll hold it for a year or so before somebody else takes over.

peribsen
09-16-2010, 10:15 AM
The future is mostly Brands

nadal_slam_king
09-16-2010, 10:20 AM
It's not likely Nadal will stay #1 for more than 2-3 years consecutively since almost noone has done that in the past. By then Federer is probably no longer capable of getting to #1. A younger player will take over, and at this point Djokovic is the most likely candidate. But you never know which new young player will suddenly appear out of 'nothing' in 2 years time. Still i would bet on Djokovic reaching #1 at some point in his career.

If anyone's going to break a ranking endurance record its Rafa. He is physically and mentally superior to anyone we've seen in both this era and the 90s.

Priam
09-16-2010, 10:22 AM
If anyone's going to break a ranking endurance record its Rafa. He is physically and mentally superior to anyone we've seen in both this era and the 90s.

Yeah he's also superhuman and never gets injured too. Come on.

nadal_slam_king
09-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Yeah he's also superhuman and never gets injured too. Come on.

Tendonitis ain't an injury, you can see how its treated in cycles. Doesn't actually get worse in the long-term. That's why Venus/Serena are close to 30 and still here.

Nole fan
09-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Rafa for sure is in a sweet moment now, but he's prone to injuries and it's not certain that he can sustain this form forever. I think Novak has the best chance at dethroning Nadal and their rivalry will be the most important in the near future, probably switching back from 1 to 2 and viceversa for a long time.

@Sweet Cleopatra
09-16-2010, 11:41 AM
I see no one challenging Rafa no 1 spot now from all this generation. Unless injured of course.

nadal_slam_king
09-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Even if injured, he wins. He won the 2009 Aust Open with tendonitis. It's not an injury though, so I guess that doesn't count.

finishingmove
09-16-2010, 11:53 AM
murray is the next #1 since he's the only healthy guy remaining,

last man standing, literally.

:sport:

borracho
09-16-2010, 12:25 PM
If anyone it should be Djokovic (or Del Potro maybe). Djoko still has enough aspects of his game that can improve significantly. Murray on the other hand is as good as he can get I think, not much potential to grow left in him.

But I doubt if Nadal will drop the no1 spot within the next years, he's simply a tennisrobot. Only injuries can give someone else a chance.

Matt01
09-16-2010, 06:30 PM
The future is mostly Brands

+1

Sapeod
09-16-2010, 06:36 PM
The next no.1 will either be Murray or Del Potro.

r2473
09-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Nobody thinks Fed can get back to #1 again?

Johnny Groove
09-16-2010, 06:58 PM
I am really interested in how Del Potro comes back to the tour. Whether he announces his return with a bang or more likely takes some time to get back to where he was when he won the USO.

Murray needs to grow a pair of balls and step up in the slams if he wants to be in the discussion. Losing to Wawrinka, while the Swiss is talented, is unacceptable for someone trying to win slams.

Djokovic appears to be the main candidate for the throne other than Federer and Nadal.

Clay Death
09-16-2010, 07:43 PM
I'd be surprised if he never makes Number One, but I don't see him holding it for a long time. Either it will alternate between him & Nadal & maybe Murray & Del Potro, or he'll briefly interrupt Nadal's reign, or, if Nadal's reign is short, he'll hold it for a year or so before somebody else takes over.

why is everybody so infatuated with d-pot?

it will take him 2 years to get back to his best level. and by then the field will have moved considerably ahead.

translation: d-pot will now be trying to catch the top guns up for the rest of his career.

shiaben
09-16-2010, 07:53 PM
I would say so because Djokovic isn't as much injury proned compared to the other players. His technique is incredibly high, he can compete. So why not?? It's possible for something bad to happen, and him to drop to rank #2, then Nadal to get injured or something, then a player like Soderling captures #1 for 2 weeks, then Nadal or Djokovic get the spot back up etc. But if we're talking about ending the year #1, an actual consistent #1, not some guy whose #1 for 2 weeks, then yes ideally Djokovic would the one.

Steelq
07-04-2011, 02:29 PM

I see no one challenging Rafa no 1 spot now from all this generation. Unless injured of course.
of course

EliSter
07-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Nice bump :D

atennisfan
07-04-2011, 03:53 PM

I am loving this. What/when was this?