October Far-East Asia Masters 500 and 1000 events [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

October Far-East Asia Masters 500 and 1000 events

Poirot123
09-15-2010, 09:09 PM
With the ending of the US Open, I'm guessing none of the big guns with the possible exception of Berdych (due to his 1st round exist at the US open) will be entering the upcoming Masters 250 events. But the real question is whether any of the current top 10 will be busting a gut in the October Master events in far east Asia?

Thought I'd throw open the question, as the race to end as world numbers 2 and 3 is quite interesting, as Djokovic is defending something like 2300 points, whilst Federer has only around 750 points to defend, and Murray very few points at all to defend, and with a current 600 point differential between numbers 2 and 3 in the world, will there be a final alteration to these two by the start of next year? It's quite important for seedings in the Australian Open in 2011 if Federer wants to avoid Nadal in a potential SF match up, although Federer recently said there's little difference being placed anywhere in the top 4 in the world when it comes to GS events.

So any ideas? I reckon Djokovic will be in for all the big far east events to defend his points. but will Federer and Murray make the effort to appear this year? And more to the point, will Nadal bother going? He doesn't need the points, and might want to rest / relax after achieving his career slam?

guga2120
09-15-2010, 09:18 PM
I think Murray after losing early, will take Paris, Shanghai, and London fairly serious.

Sapeod
09-15-2010, 09:41 PM
I think Murray after losing early, will take Paris, Shanghai, and London fairly serious.
Yeah, he can get some serious points here.
I think he'll want to get as far ahead of Soderling as possible for the Australian Open next year.

Ozone
09-15-2010, 09:47 PM
It's all Mugray can do...win 500's and have fair results at Masters

emotion
09-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Soderling had a pretty poor indoor season too, you know, was injured for an awful lot of it. What, 1 quarter and 1 semi to defend?

Sapeod
09-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Sorry pal, but that is nonsene.

He's reached slam finals, won masters events, beaten Federer, Djokovic and Nadal and is consistently good on hardcourts.

Poirot123
09-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Soderling had a pretty poor indoor season too, you know, was injured for an awful lot of it. What, 1 quarter and 1 semi to defend?

Well Soderling is 125 points behind Murray at the moment, and 5th in the world.

Soderling is defending 1140 points between now and the end of the season.

SF at 250 Malaysia
SF at 500 Beijing
QF at 1000s Shanghai
SF at 250 Stockholm
QF at 1000s Masters Paris
SF at ATP World Finals

Murray is defending 990 points between now and the end of the season:

Winner at 500 Valenica
R16 at 1000s Paris
RR at ATP World finals.

So Murray has a lot of potential points to gain from competing in the far-east. Soderling much less so. Soderling will need to step up and win an event or two to overtake Murray for me.

Singularity
09-15-2010, 09:58 PM
His record in masters events is excellent. It's only since the AO that he's been poor (and besides, he won Toronto and burned out in Cinci due to exhaustion).

finishingmove
09-15-2010, 10:02 PM
i would say del potro and murray are the ones to watch.

djokovic will try his best to defend some points, but with the davis cup and all, i don't think he'll manage to repeat last year.

federer will be in grandpa mode, and i except nadal to be in a similar mood.

Sapeod
09-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Well Soderling is 125 points behind Murray at the moment, and 5th in the world.

Soderling is defending 1140 points between now and the end of the season.

SF at 250 Malaysia
SF at 500 Beijing
QF at 1000s Shanghai
SF at 250 Stockholm
QF at 1000s Masters Paris
SF at ATP World Finals

Murray is defending 990 points between now and the end of the season:

Winner at 500 Valenica
R16 at 1000s Paris
RR at ATP World finals.

So Murray has a lot of potential points to gain from competing in the far-east. Soderling much less so. Soderling will need to step up and win an event or two to overtake Murray for me.
No way Soderling ends the year ahead of Murray.

MalwareDie
09-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Soderling needs to skip either Malaysia or Stockholm. Playing 4 weeks in a row is a terrible idea.

Poirot123
09-15-2010, 10:12 PM
No way Soderling ends the year ahead of Murray.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you on that one. Solid performances from Murray in Paris and in the far east sees him comfortably home in 4th place at the end of this season. Soderling will need a marathon effort to get ahead of him if Murray achieves this.

Poirot123
09-15-2010, 10:28 PM
With the far east Asian tour still to play, the race for 8th place and a position at the World Finals looks interesting with 4 players realistically in the hunt...

First up Roddick, 11th in the world at the moment with 3180 points, and only defending 10 points for the rest of the year!

David Ferrer is next in 10th with 3200 points, defending 90 points (R32 at Shanghai), (R16 at Valenica).

Youzney is presently 9th with 3295 points, and defending 815 points (QF Malaysia), (F Tokyo), (W Moscow), (R16 St Petersburg), (F Valencia).

Finally Verdasco is in 8th with 3330 points, and defending 550 points (F Malaysia), QF Beijing), (R32 Shanghai), (SF Valenica), (R16 Paris).

Based on the above, I think it'll be a tall order for Youzney to make 8th by year end, but it's game on for the other three as far as I'm concerned. Yes, Andy Roddick could still sneak into the World Finals with a good end of year performance!

guga2120
09-15-2010, 10:41 PM

That's not true he has better than fair results in the Master Series. If he can play like he did in Toronto, in WTF, he will win it. He might lose in the first round of Australia, but I would not be suprised at all, if he won 2 out the 3 Masters left this year.

delpiero7
09-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Sorry pal, but that is nonsene.

He's reached slam finals, won masters events, beaten Federer, Djokovic and Nadal and is consistently good on hardcourts.

That's not true he has better than fair results in the Master Series. If he can play like he did in Toronto, in WTF, he will win it. He might lose in the first round of Australia, but I would not be suprised at all, if he won 2 out the 3 Masters left this year.

If he plays brilliant, attacking tennis like he did in Toronto then he may well clean up. If he pushes like he was doing in Cincinnati then he'll lose to the first decent player he crosses.