What if Murray had a forehand? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What if Murray had a forehand?

Clydey
09-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Would he have won the CYGS?

Discuss.

lazybear
09-14-2010, 11:51 PM
I know this thread is not 100 % serious, i'm gonna answer anyway.:D CYGS, not really, but he probably would have a slam by now. On a second thought, does he beat Roger in any of those finals with a better forehand? Not sure.

star
:lol: :lol:

Clydey, I didn't know you had it in you.

Still laughing.

finishingmove
I only know this much:

If Murray had a forehand, Gasquet would get one too...

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01642/Andy_Murray_1642817c.jpg
http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00035/Richard_Gasquet_35609t.jpg

Game On.

Clydey
09-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Too strong.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00798/murray_798430c.jpg

Tutu
09-15-2010, 12:06 AM
No.

Action Jackson
09-15-2010, 12:23 AM
But Murray has thick legs.

Clydey
09-15-2010, 12:27 AM
But Murray has thick legs.

If his legs could wield a tennis racquet, he'd never lose.

Singularity
09-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Whose forehand?

finishingmove
09-15-2010, 12:30 AM
how about nadal's ?

leng jai
09-15-2010, 12:50 AM
The scottish dolt does have a forehand. It just sucks balls.

Filo V.
09-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Cool joke thread, good for laughs, but seriously, the answer is no anyway. Not the French, and not Wimbledon. And even with a forehand, his mentality and overall game plan isn't conducive to winning majors. Murray is a great player, but overrated in context to where his place in the game truly is.

star
09-15-2010, 03:20 PM
This important thread shouldn't languish on the second page.

Sophocles
09-15-2010, 03:22 PM
And even with a forehand, his mentality and overall game plan isn't conducive to winning majors.

Having a forehand might alter his overall game plan though.

ossie
09-15-2010, 03:30 PM
then he would be djokovic

Sophocles
09-15-2010, 03:34 PM
then he would be djokovic

Murray's got a first serve.

marvin0211
09-15-2010, 03:40 PM
I dont think he will win a career grandslam maybe a multiple slam winner but French Open is a big ask for him even if he has a killer forehand

zoparrat
09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
He also needs a second serve. And a more consistent positive attitude throughout matches. He's probably still not winning the french.

Serenidad
09-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Arguably does he? It rarely shows up on the bigger points, especially in the slams.

Serenidad
09-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Murray is vacationing in the Bahamas.

http://www.7sur7.be/static/FOTO/pe/8/1/1/album_large_3805366.jpg?20100720170129

Sophocles
09-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Arguably does he? It rarely shows up on the bigger points, especially in the slams.

Unfortunately, that's true. It's good when it goes in though. Unlike Djoker's.

Everko
09-15-2010, 04:40 PM

what if Brands had a forehand,backhand,footwork,athletic ability,mental strength and tactics?

Serenidad
09-15-2010, 04:54 PM
what if Brands had a forehand,backhand,footwork,athletic ability,mental strength and tactics?

Brands has all of those. He is still developing on the tour. :wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

Tennisman82
09-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Too strong.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00798/murray_798430c.jpg

LOL!! I remember that. He looked so silly doing that after every match....

Tennisman82.

nole_no1
09-15-2010, 04:56 PM
What if Murray had a play? :rolleyes:

star
09-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Unfortunately, that's true. It's good when it goes in though. Unlike Djoker's.

Djoko's serve has improved. Maybe you noticed that against Federer and Nadal. It's not back to where it should be, but it is much better than it was. I'm very happy about Djoko's performance this USO.

Sophocles
09-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Djoko's serve has improved. Maybe you noticed that against Federer and Nadal. It's not back to where it should be, but it is much better than it was. I'm very happy about Djoko's performance this USO.

It's slowly getting back there, but it's still a long way off A.O. 2008 level. He's still not getting many cheap points.

star
09-15-2010, 05:03 PM
It's slowly getting back there, but it's still a long way off A.O. 2008 level. He's still not getting many cheap points.

No, it's only a little way off. He was doing very well with the serve short outwide. That won a number of free points for him. But, it's not necessary for him to serve a bunch of aces. He can win a point off a weak return. He could use a boost in 1st serve percentage. I see him gaining confidence in his serve where earlier this year he had NONE plus a hideous hitch in his serve. The hitch is gone -- thank god -- and he isn't double faulting badly either.

Arakasi
09-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Back in late 07/early 08 I think that Djokovic's first serve was more of a weapon than Murray's has ever been. Mainly because of its clutchness in the big points.

I remember marvelling at how such an inexperienced player could hit aces and service winners seemingly at will on the big points. It was Federer like.

Since then though his serve has worsened dramatically. Even before the Todd Martin fiasco. The same is true of his return actually, he had an incredible return but that has been MIA for years now.

star
09-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Back in late 07/early 08 I think that Djokovic's first serve was more of a weapon than Murray's has ever been. Mainly because of its clutchness in the big points.

I remember marvelling at how such an inexperienced player could hit aces and service winners seemingly at will on the big points. It was Federer like.

Since then though his serve has worsened dramatically. Even before the Todd Martin fiasco. The same is true of his return actually, he had an incredible return but that has been MIA for years now.

Seriously, I thought I heard the announcers say that Djoko has the best return stats this year. I don't know how to look it up, but maybe someone else does.

Singularity
09-15-2010, 05:56 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/MatchFacts.aspx

Arakasi
09-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Seriously, I thought I heard the announcers say that Djoko has the best return stats this year. I don't know how to look it up, but maybe someone else does.

Yes I think you are right he does have the best return stats but I still maintain that in the important moments he doesn't have the same ability he used to. During his "peak" his returning on the big points was outstanding.

Now he is a very good returner. Back then I used to think he was exceptional. He was more consistent off the return as well.

I think most people have forgotten how Novak played during that period a few years ago. It wasn't just that he played well. He was clutch.

Both his serve and return were considerably better back then in my opinion.

Vamos_Me_Rafa
09-15-2010, 08:00 PM
He needs a dentist more.

Sapeod
09-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Yes.

Ibracadabra
09-15-2010, 09:00 PM
He also needs a serve and the ability to volley well

Sapeod
09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
He also needs a serve and the ability to volley well
He already has that.
He's one of the best on tour. Not on par with Llodra, Federer or Stepanek, but he's up there.

yuri27
09-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Cool joke thread, good for laughs, but seriously, the answer is no anyway. Not the French, and not Wimbledon. And even with a forehand, his mentality and overall game plan isn't conducive to winning majors. Murray is a great player, but overrated in context to where his place in the game truly is.

Actually i think that with a forehand,he would have already won a Slam.
People can't say he is not mentally tough(he is one of the strongest players there) but on the other hand,this FH has often been exposed in the big matches.

shiaben
09-16-2010, 07:30 PM
He'd definitely would have bagged at least one slam. When I watched the final he had with Federer, he was doing well in the rallies, but because his forehand wasn't strong enough, Federer's would crush him, and put him on the defensive. Had his attacking forehand been a lot stronger, he'd be able to defeat Federer. I think mentally he's there, it's just the forehand he has relies more on accuracy, not power. Accuracy works against non-ranks and lower ranked players, so he'll probably be able to reach the QF's most of the time, and maybe a few SF's. But had he had that killer forehand, that a lot of the players in the top 10 have, he would have had a slam by now.

Like some users before said, if it worked for Djokovic, it would have worked for Murray. But Djokovic is also hard to compare because his forehand is extremely unique, he tags the baselines and really pushes off his opponents, even if it doesn't generate as much power as Verdasco and Gonzalez, it still is effective because it's a deep forehand that pushes opponents on the defensive and draws errors out of them, a few times it pushed Federer on the defensive.

shiaben
09-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Aside from Nadal's recently improved serve, and his transition in becoming a better defender on faster hardcourts like the U.S. Open, it was Nadal's improvement in his forehand (adding more power to it), that helped him survive against Djokovic. Andy Murray has some ways to go, to improve his forehand, serve % consistency, and I think for now that's about it. His footwork is pretty solid, his return of serve is great, his volleys are great, back hand is great, accuracy is sharp, and everything else is pretty much solid. Just fix those two things, and increase the rate or return of serve just a little bit (against dangerous players like Federer, Djokovic, or Nadal that serve big) and he'll be fine.

Leo
09-16-2010, 07:40 PM

Djokovic's return game was amazing in his last couple of matches in New York against Fed and Rafa. Especially his defensive returning.

His serve has progressed in the right direction since the start of this season, but it's definitely not anything like it used to be. Very rarely does he get those crucial free points.

PistolSampras
09-16-2010, 08:00 PM
He wouldn't be Murray...

oranges
09-16-2010, 10:18 PM
We might not notice. He has a BH, but prefers to try slice the opponent to death. He'd do something along those line on the FH even with a better one :p

syc23
09-16-2010, 10:59 PM
One thing's for sure he's certainly got a better forehand than 100% of you losers on MTF. He's playing on the pro circuit and you ****s are bitching about his game on these boards...

leng jai
09-16-2010, 11:07 PM
One thing's for sure he's certainly got a better forehand than 100% of you losers on MTF. He's playing on the pro circuit and you ****s are bitching about his game on these boards...

It should be a requirement that you are a top 10 player to sign up to these boards, otherwise you have no right to discuss anything.

oranges
09-16-2010, 11:29 PM

There's that famous humor again :rolls:

out_here_grindin
09-16-2010, 11:33 PM

oddly enough, I'm offended

emotion
09-16-2010, 11:38 PM

You, on the other hand, are Roger Federer?

paseo
09-16-2010, 11:51 PM
It should be a requirement that you are a top 10 player to sign up to these boards, otherwise you have no right to discuss anything.

I think I'm at least a top 10 player.... in my zip code area.

Nope. He's Fernando Verdasco.

out_here_grindin
09-17-2010, 01:23 AM

Please, Federer would never say such nice things about Murray.