Predictions for the Indoor season? Will Rafa dominate? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Predictions for the Indoor season? Will Rafa dominate?

DorianGray7
09-14-2010, 10:17 PM
We only have Shanghai and Bercy along with the ATP500s Basel Tokyo and Beijing left. We also have the final mini Grand Slam: the WTF in London.

Will Rafa dominate indoors like he dominated the entire 2010? (Nadal was injured at the AO) I don't recall Rafa doing very well during the indoors season but the US Open momentum might push him to win WTF finally.

What chances does Roger Federer have this indoor season? Will he lose to Djokovic again at Basel? I see this 2010 indoor season to have chances for Djokovic and Soldering and Del Petro if he comes back as the hard indoors benefit hard hitters while I don't see Federer winning a single title before the end of the year.

Thoughts?

MalwareDie
09-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Shanghai is an outdoor tournament. And Nadal will not be a standout of the indoor season.

kronus12
09-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Soderling, fed, djovic even Nalbandian will be my picks for the indoor season the favorites in that order too I would put Rafa in too but his form in the indoors for the past two season doesn't really inpires me but then again he's mastered all the other surfaces so there is a chance for him.

Manequin75
09-14-2010, 10:38 PM
I think he should keep experimenting and playing at 70% in the next couple tournaments and then take a good crack at WTF. The goal is to stay healthy for the Australian open to complete Rafa Slam.

Montego
09-14-2010, 10:43 PM
My guess is that he will treat the rest of the season lightly and will focus on London - the only title that he lacks. At least that would be reasonable. But who knows with this beast :confused:

romismak
09-14-2010, 10:49 PM
It will be interresting to watch biggest tournaments- Masters 1000 in Shaghai which is played on Decoturf and outdoor just like US and Paris with fast indoor surface from the same company that make Taraflex. WTF is played on Greenset - if Nadal will serve like on Us open he has chances to win 2 of those 3 events- 1 event will be sure won bye someone other- Roger, Novak, Andy or Soderling... But Nadal i think will earn most points in part of season after Us open closing with WTF London.

Ben.
09-14-2010, 10:53 PM
I agree with the posters saying he should try to peak for WTF. He mentioned in his presser that this was the only thing eluding him now, so he is thinking about it. He has two semis out of three, lost to Federer both times. Then obviously he didn't win a match last year, but we can't put any stock in that thankfully. Atleast he shouldn't lose any significant points for the rest of the year and may even gain.

Manequin75
09-14-2010, 10:54 PM
It will be interresting to watch biggest tournaments- Masters 1000 in Shaghai which is played on Decoturf and outdoor just like US and Paris with fast indoor surface from the same company that make Taraflex. WTF is played on Greenset - if Nadal will serve like on Us open he has chances to win 2 of those 3 events- 1 event will be sure won bye someone other- Roger, Novak, Andy or Soderling... But Nadal i think will earn most points in part of season after Us open closing with WTF London.

Nadal has 12,000 points. Djo + Fed combined have 13,000 points. Fed + Murray have 11,700 points. Rafa doesnt need to go crazy after points. Play the next tournaments at 70% and keep improving. Then take a whack at the WTF - lot of points to gain there.

Then comes the Biggie - the australian Open for the Rafa Slam. That would be the time to put everything on the line and go for broke. Then take a holiday and play at 70% again at IW and Miami. Then wrap up the clay season, win wimbledon and take a break. Then play easy in toronto + cinci and take another crack at the USO. Gosh I just lived a whole year in one paragraph :)

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-14-2010, 10:59 PM
LOL

hes got zero chance of indoor glory unless he's given another "spanish" draw

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Who cares about the indoor season.

Manequin75
09-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Who cares about the indoor season.

Davydenko :)

Clydey
09-14-2010, 11:08 PM
We only have Shanghai and Bercy along with the ATP500s Basel Tokyo and Beijing left. We also have the final mini Grand Slam: the WTF in London.

Will Rafa dominate indoors like he dominated the entire 2010? (Nadal was injured at the AO) I don't recall Rafa doing very well during the indoors season but the US Open momentum might push him to win WTF finally.

What chances does Roger Federer have this indoor season? Will he lose to Djokovic again at Basel? I see this 2010 indoor season to have chances for Djokovic and Soldering and Del Petro if he comes back as the hard indoors benefit hard hitters while I don't see Federer winning a single title before the end of the year.

Thoughts?

Nadal was not injured at the AO. He was down 2 sets before he got injured, so let's not rewrite history.

Johnny Groove
09-14-2010, 11:16 PM
He ought to do reasonably well in Bangkok, Tokyo, Shanghai, and Paris, and peak for the WTF.

DorianGray7
09-14-2010, 11:17 PM
It's a well know fact Nadal was injured at AO. He said so himself after the match.

No one trying to re-write anything, but its pretty clear Rafa would probably had won AO if he was in US Open form and beat murray.

guga2120
09-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Murray to win Paris, and WTF.

Clydey
09-14-2010, 11:21 PM
It's a well know fact Nadal was injured at AO. He said so himself after the match.

No one trying to re-write anything, but its pretty clear Rafa would probably had won AO if he was in US Open form and beat murray.

Rafa said no such thing after the match. He got injured during the match and he was already on his way to losing in straight sets.

Nadal actually said he was playing his best tennis since AO 09 during that loss, so you're talking nonsense.

guga2120
09-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Rafa was being slightly outplayed, and got hurt late in the 2nd. Andy would have still beat him, imo.

DartMarcus
09-15-2010, 12:40 AM
If Nadal losses a single game during this mug part of the year he should retire.

Mjau!
09-15-2010, 12:44 AM
It will be business as usual until the ATPWTF anyway. That is to say he'll get beat just like he was in 14 of the last 15 hardcourt events he entered.

CCBH
09-15-2010, 01:43 AM
Yawn... who cares anyway? He should take it easy and try his best at London. Murray should be raring to go as usual now that Slam season is done, people with a lot to gain are del Potro (matchplay), Nalbandian (but does he really care to play himself into contender shape for next year?), Davydenko (actually he has plenty to lose if he doesn't play well), Soderling (he has not done that well at these events, and indoor is supposed to be his best surface).

selyoink
09-15-2010, 01:51 AM
Then obviously he didn't win a match last year, but we can't put any stock in that thankfully.

Just like we can't put any stock in his 2005 RG, 2008 Wimbledon, 2009 AO, 2010 Wimbledon, 2010 RG or 2010 US Open because he had joke draws thankfully.

Henry Chinaski
09-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Davydenko will probably play his way into form.

If he's fully recovered from his injuries then he should be fresher than most of the tour. Remember how good he was this time last year? Memories could be enough to reignite his confidence.

Nalbandian will be fresh and dangerous too. Apart from that, the usual suspects. Toad has always been an indoor monster. He's been poor since Roland Garros but should improve under the roof.

finishingmove
09-15-2010, 01:58 AM
nadal was at a career peak few days ago, he's gonna chill until the OZ open imo.

Mjau!
09-15-2010, 02:02 AM
Davydenko will probably play his way into form.

If he's fully recovered from his injuries then he should be fresher than most of the tour. Remember how good he was this time last year? Memories could be enough to reignite his confidence.

Nalbandian will be fresh and dangerous too. Apart from that, the usual suspects. Toad has always been an indoor monster. He's been poor since Roland Garros but should improve under the roof.

Wimbeldon and US Open QF is poor?? :confused:

Topspindoctor
09-15-2010, 02:04 AM
LOL

hes got zero chance of indoor glory unless he's given another "spanish" draw

Stop being a clown. Nadal has a very good chance at all indoor tournaments. if he actually gives a shit about them. :rolleyes:

Langers
09-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Djokovic the man to beat.

Jomp1
09-15-2010, 02:16 AM
Djokovic, Murray, Soderling and Davydenko imo will be hungry for success.

Clay Death
09-15-2010, 02:19 AM

Thoughts?

no.

and he does not need to under any circumstances.

he needs to lose early in every remaining event this year so he can save his knees. he usually does not know when to stop.

Filo V.
09-15-2010, 02:26 AM
I don't see domination from Rafa. I think Soderling is going to get back to his level indoors. I think Nalbandian will play well, and I also expect big things from Youzhny, Nole, and Roger. I'm not sure about Murray, I can see him slumping again like he did after his loss at Australia. I still do not believe he is all the way back mentally. Davydenko to me is questionable, I don't truly believe he'll be back until next season, but I wouldn't be surprised with good results.

I personally think Rafa has essentially ended his season mentally and physically and I don't know how well he's going to do from here, but I don't expect a whole lot. I see him playing roughly the way he did in Cincinnati and Toronto going forward through the rest of the year, until the YEC.

ginnylegend
09-15-2010, 02:28 AM
I am so glad I never come on here with all these Rafatard oxygen thieves posting.

Nadal was fine at the AO till the tie break. Murray OUTPLAYED him. GET OVER IT. Just like Nadal outplayed Murray at Wimbledon.

Priam
09-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Dave will eat up all remaining tournaments.

allpro
09-15-2010, 04:06 AM
doubtful. i think we'll see some intriguing matchups though this fall.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-15-2010, 06:22 AM
gotta say tho

nadal has really played into some serious form

if he can manage to get himself to a final he's fave to win

the best thing fed couuld do is drop out of the top 5, meet nadal in the QF and beat him down because nadal is always beatable before the final

nastoff
09-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Fat Dave and Denko are not making enough money this season, and neither does RDick

If they can get some kind of form back.

Rafa? unlikely, but if he can get a tournament or two, he will be happy.
I think they've wisen in their camp now and won't be pushing him too much...maybe they can make the surface a litle slower in London this year, to suit Rafa? :p

The Brits love Rafa, they got infatuated with him after he beat Roger at Wimbledon for the first time, they realised then that this guy is something special too.

vn01
09-15-2010, 08:55 AM
About Rafa- he will reach at least 1/2 finals in Shanghai, Paris and London. And he may win 1 of these 3 events :)

born_on_clay
09-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Rafa to win Shanghai

Goldenoldie
09-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Nobody will dominate the rest of the season.

The most successful players will probably be Djokovic, Murray, Davydenko and Soderling, in that order.

DorianGray7
09-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Yes but who will win the indoor grand slam? (WTF: London)

Is indoor even faster than Wimbledon and hard-courts? Does this suit Rafa's game?

Topspindoctor
09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Seriously expect Nadal to tank all tournaments except WTF this year.

JolánGagó
09-15-2010, 01:20 PM
No one gives a monkey turd about indoor season. Rafa will dominate it by his mere presence though.

thrust
09-15-2010, 01:24 PM

ABSOLUTELY! Rafa should only play what is required and what is comfortable for him. He is so far ahead, point wise, that his main goal should be to stay healthy in order to play his best in the most important events.

Jaz
09-15-2010, 01:56 PM
The Brits love Rafa, they got infatuated with him after he beat Roger at Wimbledon for the first time, they realised then that this guy is something special too.

Brits have been good to all the champions. However, this years final was one of the least watched in recent years, and well.. It's the first one without Federer is a long time. That said it was probably a little bit too predictable.

Rafa lost AO, he was losing and THEN he got injured.

Infinity
09-15-2010, 02:20 PM
He should not even try. Just peak for WTF and prepare to clinch AO 2011. If he takes the indoor season seriously, he will get exhausted for 2011.

Halba
09-16-2010, 01:03 AM
He should not even try. Just peak for WTF and prepare to clinch AO 2011. If he takes the indoor season seriously, he will get exhausted for 2011.

indoors has no slam so its hard to take it very serious.

careergrandslam
09-16-2010, 01:22 AM
rafa should peak for the WTF and the 2 masters series.