Why Tennis is Killing Itself [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why Tennis is Killing Itself

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 09:16 PM
It's sad to see. But in the past 20 years, the courts have become very slow and matches are becoming unwatchable with defensive players getting to shots that should be winners. Add to that horrible TV coverage, bad calendar scheduling, no real grass court season, and tennis is slowly making itself an irrelevant sport.

Guys such as Nadal, Murray, and Djokovic are all very talented. But if they get everything back due to courts being slow, that really does not bode too well for other players and fans in general. The contrast is simply not there. People don't serve and volley anymore. Servers can't even win matches against average people these days. Take Roddick. A few years ago, he would have never lost to a Tipsarevic. Now all his serves coming back and he is exposed badly.

As a fan of sport of tennis, it's sad to see everything slowing down. And the laws not being enforced (time wasting between points, fake injuries, abuse of rules) is making the sport look bad. And ATP does not like McEnroe type personalities anymore, which is why top tennis athletes fail to show up on the front page of magazines such as ESPN or SI.

Last night's coverage of US Open final and getting cut off by NFL or whatever it was after confirmed tennis' fall from grace with networks here in America. Tennis does not need to focus on keeping its current ratings. It needs to focus on bringing more people to table, let people have their personalities, get fans involved, get people excited about our sport again. And 30 minute women's final matches have not helped.

How can we fix this?

r2473
09-14-2010, 09:18 PM
If you are over the age of 10, I feel sorry for you.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 09:19 PM
If you are over the age of 10, I feel sorry for you.

What did I say this time?

Henry Kaspar
09-14-2010, 09:19 PM
People don't serve and volley anymore.

This has nothing to do with (allegedly) "slow" courts, and everything with improved racket technology that allows much more concise returns with far less effort.

Leo
09-14-2010, 09:23 PM
It's only going to become worse in the future. I'm scared to see how racquet string and frame technology will continue to "improve" and what little skill and talent players will have to have to trash the ball with incredible power and spin- often leading to miserable matches.

How to redirect the course that tennis is headed in? Perhaps by taking a set backwards and increasing surface variation, as well as limiting the influence of technology on the sport in the future. But will that happen? Casual fans have become accostumed to watching long rallies and following a select elite few who do well on all surfaces.

Jagermeister
cyrus

Honestly man, how many threads are you going to start to make the same points?

kindling
This has nothing to do with (allegedly) "slow" courts, and everything with improved racket technology that allows much more concise returns with far less effort.

You can't make a "concise return" if you can't get to the ball. Unless of course you're saying that racket technology is increasing the speed of the person holding it, that's some hi-tech technology!

The Freak
09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
It's sad to see. But in the past 20 years, the courts have become very slow and matches are becoming unwatching with defensive players getting to shots that should be winners. Add to that horrible TV coverage, bad calendar scheduling, no real grass court season, and tennis is slowly making itself an irrelevant sport.

Guys such as Nadal, Murray, and Djokovic are all very talented. But if they get everything back due to courts being slow, that really does not bode too well for other players and fans in general. The contrast is simply not there. People don't serve and volley anymore. Servers can't even win matches against average people these days. Take Roddick. A few years ago, he would have never lost to a Tipsarevic. Now all his serves coming back and he is exposed badly.

As a fan of sport of tennis, it's sad to see everything slowing down. And the laws not being enforced (time wasting between points, fake injuries, abuse of rules) is making the sport look bad. And ATP does not like McEnroe type personalities anymore, which is why top tennis athletes fail to show up on the front page of magazines such as ESPN or SI.

How can we fix this?

Don't watch tennis if it's so bad. I think tennis is as exciting as it has ever been :shrug:

And by the way, Andy lost to Tipsarevic a few years ago, genius.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 09:25 PM
cyrus

Honestly man, how many threads are you going to start to make the same points?

You just hate me and keep attacking me without any base. When did I say these points? Quote me.

Quakes
09-14-2010, 09:25 PM

I think you mean 'precise'?

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Don't watch tennis if it's so bad. I think tennis is as exciting as it has ever been :shrug:

And by the way, Andy lost to Tipsarevic a few years ago, genius.

At Wimbledon. Massive choke job by Andy and the courts were slow back then too!!

ossie
09-14-2010, 09:28 PM
tennis has never been more interesting and todays tennis players are the best of any era

Jagermeister
09-14-2010, 09:29 PM
You just hate me and keep attacking me without any base.

All you're doing is making thread after thread about how much you dislike Nadal's tennis and hate the state of tennis these days. Just the same whining wrapped in different words.

"Hate me"? A touch overdramatic aren't we?

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 09:29 PM
tennis has never been more interesting and todays tennis players are the best of any era

Maybe. Or maybe it's just the courts and technology...

star
09-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Usually people wait until they are 60 to start complaining the world is going to hell.

:lol:

Change is part of life. Get used to it or have an unhappy life. :p

scoobs
09-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Have you slept at all since the sky fell?

Billups85
09-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Do you really prefer the acefest style?

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 09:33 PM

I wouldn't mind speeding up Wimbledon at least! I mean come on. Rallies on grass? 20 30 shots?

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Have you slept at all since the sky fell?

What happene again? Remind me

star
09-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Oh ye of short memories or short lives, there was a massive complaint about Wimbledon probably beginning somewhere around 1995.

Now the complaint is going the other way.

It's kind of hilarious.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Oh ye of short memories or short lives, there was a massive complaint about Wimbledon probably beginning somewhere around 1995.

Now the complaint is going the other way.

It's kind of hilarious.

There was a good reason people were complaining then. :devil:

case
09-14-2010, 09:40 PM

i hated the era of aces. cant say goodbye fast enough to roddick and most of the newer crop of big serving americans. talk about boring, serving is the LEAST entertaining aspect of tennis

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 09:42 PM
i hated the era of aces. cant say goodbye fast enough to roddick and most of the newer crop of big serving americans. talk about boring, serving is the LEAST entertaining aspect of tennis

If it's so boring, why is Rafa trying to improve his serve and hit more aces? Come on. There is an art to it or everyone would be doing it.

Jaz
09-14-2010, 09:43 PM
The FO, Wimbly and USO have had fewer viewship than 2009.

Billups85
09-14-2010, 09:48 PM
If it's so boring, why is Rafa trying to improve his serve and hit more aces? Come on. There is an art to it or everyone would be doing it.

Karlovic - Isner on 2000 Wimbledon grass, would have been the most exciting match ever, right?

Mr. Oracle
09-14-2010, 09:51 PM
It's only going to become worse in the future. I'm scared to see how racquet string and frame technology will continue to "improve" and what little skill and talent players will have to have to trash the ball with incredible power and spin- often leading to miserable matches.

How to redirect the course that tennis is headed in? Perhaps by taking a set backwards and increasing surface variation, as well as limiting the influence of technology on the sport in the future. But will that happen? Casual fans have become accostumed to watching long rallies and following a select elite few who do well on all surfaces.

Yep, I agree. I would go back to wood rackets and only a certain size. There would be a lot more macenroe/borg type players with actual skills.

Pirata.
09-14-2010, 09:51 PM

:worship:

Jaz
09-14-2010, 09:52 PM
We need more grass.... and fewer hard.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 09:55 PM
We need more grass.... and fewer hard.

I disagree. We need to shorten the clay season. It's too much. Hard court is what brings viewers. Clay is slow. It's nice to see in a while but French Open is the most boring grand slam of them all.

Jaz
09-14-2010, 09:59 PM
I disagree. We need to shorten the clay season. It's too much. Hard court is what brings viewers. Clay is slow. It's nice to see in a while but French Open is the most boring grand slam of them all.

Well wimbledon viewership is very high. The fact that we have soo many hard court touraments is a shame, because we keep getting the same old type of player.

Aside from Nadal and perhaps Federer, the rest of the top 10 player is a very very similar style and it's kinda boring after a while.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Well wimbledon viewership is very high. The fact that we have soo many hard court touraments is a shame, because we keep getting the same old type of player.

Aside from Nadal and perhaps Federer, the rest of the top 10 player is a very very similar style and it's kinda boring after a while.

I don't mind having a longer grass season and 2 grass slams one clay and one hard. But I don't want more clay tournaments.

case
09-14-2010, 10:01 PM
why does he want to hit aces??? are you serious? easy points is the easy answer. nadal doesn't care if it is boring.

but aces still are the most boring aspect of tennis

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 10:04 PM
why does he want to hit aces??? are you serious? easy points is the easy answer. nadal doesn't care if it is boring.

It's not boring when he hits them on break points :devil:

Jaz
09-14-2010, 10:06 PM

He has to because on hard courts it's the way to win.

star
09-14-2010, 10:11 PM
All I know is that if Rafa develops a killer serve, there will be MTFers complaining about his game being "all serve." :lol:

ossie
09-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Maybe. Or maybe it's just the courts and technology...todays player have to adapt to todays courts and technology just like players in other eras adapted to theirs. there is no reason to think one era was is better than the other even though we may prefer certain styles of play.

star
09-14-2010, 10:14 PM
You know, when I look at matches played in the 60s and 70s, it seems sort of slow and not so athletic. I don't think people would really be happy going back to wooden racquets.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 10:25 PM
You know, when I look at matches played in the 60s and 70s, it seems sort of slow and not so athletic. I don't think people would really be happy going back to wooden racquets.

Not wooden racket. That's stupid. I am saying, A) limit the technology to a point B) speed up courts C) apply the rules of the game and stop sportsmanship things like delays, fake injury time-outs, and things like that.

Tutu
09-14-2010, 10:29 PM
You do realise that if courts were sped up, the all-serve players would win even more? :lol:

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 10:32 PM
You do realise that if courts were sped up, the all-serve players would win even more? :lol:

Even more? Which all serve player is winning slams these days? Nadal, Djokovic, Del Potro, and Federer all have good serves but are by no means Karlovic or Roddick type servers.

FedFan
09-14-2010, 10:39 PM
The four grand slams should have different surfaces.

The matches are lasting for hours even at the US Open nowadays. The more attacking players have less chances than ever to win a slam. Everything is grinded out from the baseline.

Not a good development. No wonder there are less and less fans to follow the sport, there is not enough excitement.

The other side of the story is, that the players will burn out earlier.

SheepleBuster
09-14-2010, 11:55 PM
The four grand slams should have different surfaces.

The matches are lasting for hours even at the US Open nowadays. The more attacking players have less chances than ever to win a slam. Everything is grinded out from the baseline.

Not a good development. No wonder there are less and less fans to follow the sport, there is not enough excitement.

The other side of the story is, that the players will burn out earlier.

Completely agree with you. That would make AO and US Open somewhat different. Grass is too slow these days. People are scared of coming to the net. Nadal is a great volleyer now but not too many others are.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
09-15-2010, 12:10 AM
what nonsense about racquet tech

riddle me this

why does S&V still work indoors?

Chair Umpire
09-15-2010, 12:19 AM
LOL, I've been like 6 hours disconnect from the forum and now that I'm back I found cyrusclown and -.Federer's_Maid.- posting the same whine crap they were posting when I left. :lol:

I wonder how their bedrooms must look alike...

http://blogvecindad.com/imagenes/2007/02/bloggergetalife.jpg

SheepleBuster
09-15-2010, 12:26 AM
LOL, I've been like 6 hours disconnect from the forum and now that I'm back I found cyrusclown and -.Federer's_Maid.- posting the same whine crap they were posting when I left. :lol:

I wonder how their bedrooms must look alike...

http://blogvecindad.com/imagenes/2007/02/bloggergetalife.jpg

I encourage you to go back to where you were as I have not seen 1, 1, and I say one useful thread, comment, feedback, anything coming out of you. If you want to troll like you do, do it elsewhere please.

careergrandslam
09-15-2010, 01:01 AM
idaghoMJTU8

Mjau!
09-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Yep, I agree. I would go back to wood rackets and only a certain size. There would be a lot more macenroe/borg type players with actual skills.

Yes, this would be nice. I love wood! There used to be far more finesse and variety in tennis.

SheepleBuster
09-15-2010, 01:07 AM
idaghoMJTU8

Very sad. People who beg for other people's autographs, buy like sheeple consumer the system wants them to be, get excited about meeting someone they'll never get to know, instead of living life and enjoying the beauties of universe. You are right. Tennis dying is nothing compared to sheeple losing their minds and starting to worship false gods.

GhostUnholy
09-15-2010, 01:21 AM
Does anyone else find it funny that we have people hearkening for the "good old days" of wooden racquets and finesse and stronger fields that are like 20 years old or younger

hcfoo
09-15-2010, 01:39 AM
To that guy who started this thread, please stop watching tennis already. As simple as that. Don't whine like an old man.

Mjau!
09-15-2010, 01:40 AM
Does anyone else find it funny that we have people hearkening for the "good old days" of wooden racquets and finesse and stronger fields that are like 20 years old or younger

A swedish sports channel showed Borg - Gerulaitis @ Wimbledon -77 a couple of months ago.

It was exciting. Especially since I didn't know the outcome beforehand, so it felt like watching a live match!

venusstar
09-15-2010, 01:41 AM
Why complain about people who have worked hard and managed to reach the top of their game?. Tennis for me is the best it has ever been. The players you are complaining about has drawn me and many more people to the sport of Tennis.

I love Nadal's game, and are the courts slower, really? I thought they were faster.

Clay Death
09-15-2010, 01:42 AM
It's sad to see. But in the past 20 years, the courts have become very slow and matches are becoming unwatchable with defensive players getting to shots that should be winners. Add to that horrible TV coverage, bad calendar scheduling, no real grass court season, and tennis is slowly making itself an irrelevant sport.

Last night's coverage of US Open final and getting cut off by NFL or whatever it was after confirmed tennis' fall from grace with networks here in America. Tennis does not need to focus on keeping its current ratings. It needs to focus on bringing more people to table, let people have their personalities, get fans involved, get people excited about our sport again. And 30 minute women's final matches have not helped.

How can we fix this?

clay warrior and fed have revolutionized the sport. it is at the highest level because of them clown. wake up and smell the coffee.

mods:

i shall be most grateful if you can drag this thread outside and have a donkey shit and piss on it for a week.

GhostUnholy
09-15-2010, 01:44 AM
A swedish sports channel showed Borg - Gerulaitis @ Wimbledon -77 a couple of months ago.

It was exciting. Especially since I didn't know the outcome beforehand, so it felt like watching a live match!

Lol, yeah watching videos of classic matches is really going to give you an accurate picture of the game, compared to following the modern tour day in day out... while sure there's less variation in styles and surfaces, I'm pretty sure the same kinds of people who are spending their time whining about the state of the game today, would have found things to whine about back in the 70s and 80s too. I really doubt the era of wooden racquets would hold the same charm and novelty it does to some of you guys if that was what you were watching on a daily basis. However, I don't claim to know what following the game was like back then, and neither should you.

paseo
09-15-2010, 02:16 AM
idaghoMJTU8

This is you, careergrandslam?

marvin0211
09-15-2010, 02:43 AM

Good for you, dont watch present tennis from now on coz it will just give you more grief and we have a less bitching in MTF:)

CCBH
09-15-2010, 02:54 AM
So the game should be played in an effort to hide Andy Roddick's deficiencies? :lol: Face it, the courts seem slower because the players are so much stronger, more athletic and anticipate better.

Boarder35m
09-15-2010, 02:55 AM

Well, in Germany there is a beer advertisement with Boris Beckers Wimbledon win. He plays an ace and you can´t even see the ball in there (of course this also has to do with the technological standard at that time) but there is no fight in there just the ace and no return of serve.

As far as I know this was very typical for that period of time and at least I always found those matches with ace, service winner, service winner, ace very boring.

Giving just this as an argument for less fans seems very one-dimensional.
How do you measure how many fans a sport has anyway?
If you look for ticket sales you will have to include the (still) unsure economic situation in a lot of western countries, where still the majority of tournaments are being held.
If you want to take it from media attention you have to be aware of the fact that the media 20 years ago have changed a lot compared to media nowadays - at least in Germany but I think the pure number of channels was lower in other countries, too.